Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mizzou’s Pinkel pines for return of Border War

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel talks with reporters during the SEC football Media Days in Hoover, Ala., Tuesday, July 16, 2013.

The Missouri Tigers may be on the verge of playing their second season in the ultra-tough Southeastern Conference, but head coach Gary Pinkel’s thoughts have not strayed too far from the Big 12.

Tuesday at SEC Media Days in Birmingham, Ala., Pinkel told Jay Binkley of Kansas City’s 610 Sports Radio that he missed Missouri’s annual match-up with Kansas University.

“I wish we were still playing Kansas,” Pinkel said. “You’d like to think that we’d get together and get that game going again.”

KU and Missouri last met on the gridiron in the fall of 2011, with the Tigers topping the Jayhawks, 24-10. One of the biggest reasons the Border War rivals are not still playing is the belief of KU athletic department officials that it was the Tigers who ended the rivalry by leaving the Big 12 for the SEC two years ago. Nearly all of the powers that be at KU — from athletic director Sheahon Zenger to men’s basketball coach Bill Self and football coach Charlie Weis — have shown no interest in resuming the rivalry that once was the longest uninterrupted series west of the Mississippi River.

According to Pinkel, now in his 13th season in charge of Missouri football, that’s too bad.

“I guess the way I’ve always looked at it was, if we could play it the first or second week of every season and play it in Kansas City, that would be great to do and I think both teams could make a lot of money doing it,” Pinkel said. “Hopefully some cool heads will prevail through this and look at it (and) we’ll have an opportunity to play it again and make it work.”

Big 12 Media Days

Pinkel may have had his chance to talk about the rivalry formerly known as the Border War at SEC Media Days on Tuesday, but don’t expect the Tigers or the topic to come up at Big 12 Media Days next week in Dallas.

KU coach Charlie Weis will join the conference’s nine other coaches and several player reps from each school Monday and Tuesday to preview the upcoming season. In addition to Weis, KU will be represented by junior quarterback Jake Heaps, junior linebacker Ben Heeney, senior running back James Sims and junior safety Cassius Sendish.

After that, the next key date for KU football is Aug. 6, when players are scheduled to report to campus for fall camp, which is slated to begin Aug. 7.

Heaping on the praise

Three Jayhawks landed in the top 26 of a recent article at athlonsports.com that predicted the top 25 impact transfers for the 2013 college football season.

Quarterback Jake Heaps, who came to KU from BYU and sat out the 2012 season, was ranked third among all transfers nationally. Of Heaps, Athlon writer Steve Lassan wrote: “There’s no question Heaps should be an upgrade over Kansas’ quarterbacks from last season, but it’s unrealistic to expect him to contend for all-Big 12 honors. The Jayhawks also need to upgrade the weapons around Heaps for him to succeed in 2013.”

The funny thing about that? The other two Jayhawks on Lassan’s list were Heaps’ weapons.

Lassan ranked wide receiver and Oklahoma transfer Justin McCay 18th and said: “The Jayhawks are counting on McCay to emerge as a go-to threat for Heaps.”

He ranked Miami (Ohio) transfer Nick Harwell 26th, with his “Bonus” tag, and wrote: “Harwell still has some work to do in order to be eligible this fall. However, should the All-MAC receiver graduate from Miami (Ohio), he will give the Jayhawks’ offense a much-needed go-to receiver. ... Assuming he’s eligible in 2013, Harwell will be a starter for the Jayhawks from the first snap of fall camp.”

Harwell’s lawyer, Don Jackson, told the Journal-World earlier this week that he was still working toward getting his client enrolled in the classes he needs at Miami to graduate. Jackson said he remained “cautiously optimistic” that Harwell will be eligible to play at KU this fall.

Comments

JHWKDW 9 months ago

I aint got time for hating them anymore! Hey we got to worry about getting KU Football back to winning folks! Whatever Misery do hey so be it!I do not worry or concern myself with whatever goes on there.If we play them or not whatever.Whatever the decision in the future is so be it! The decision I am not going to be like Mr Z and say never, but I am not going to say just forgive, I just do not worry about it right now. Dr Z will do what he wants to do. I have a feeling overall that the local TW Cable Channel Metro sports is pushing this. They ask the Missouri Basketball coaches and other coaches if they want to play Kansas or not.

Like I say I am not going to lose sleep either way they go,Like I say Missouri was only 1 of 4 teams who bolted.Maybe we ought to learn from the past, so we do not have history repeat again in our conference again.

Travis Shinkle 9 months ago

I have never understood why the media, especially the national media, think that Kansas City is a 50-50 Kansas/Missouri TV market. It's not; Kansas City is a KU town plain and simple. KU should never schedule Missouri in anything ever again...including the non-revenue/Olympic sports.

Randy Bombardier 9 months ago

Perhaps this is a statement by Pinkel that he is not entirely happy about his situation. I think he knew he was going into a situation where he might lose his job. Mizzu will try to upgrade their coach once they go 5-7 enough years. They were much better off here but couldn't see that. They are like the kid in high school who is a hanger-on to the popular kids, tolerated but always feeling left out. Hey, Mizzu, they got your tv markets so all Missouri can watch you get drubbed by Bama, Florida, LSU, S. Carolina, Auburn, and Arkansas every year. Helped their brands but not yours.

JHWKDW 9 months ago

Im no Missouri fan but folks lets face facts. Texas and even Oklahoma at the time threatened to leave and screw all of us, hey if they left they MU and even KU were worried about ending up in a loser Conference like the Big LEast or they are now known as American whatever conference.Yeah they may have different issues, and so far they have sucked but at the time well it seemed right.Monday Morning Quarterbacking is easy.Quite frankly the Big12-2 I think does not have it together still. SEC is getting a network like the B1G, and Pac-12 already have.Even the ACC is also worknig on getting a network, Big 12-2 still wont because of the A-Hole Longhorns Network and their screw everyone mentality. Still.In some ways Misery may miss the Big 12-2, but overall I still think they are glad to be free of the Longhorn drama.Just like Colorado, T A&M, and Nebraska are.Hey they struggled but so far they are making strides in their new conferences.

As for playing a game with Misery Im not sure.time will tell what happens.Quite frankly I could care less which way they the go if they play the game or not. When the Big 12-2 is gone, which I think will still happen one day.Texas Longhorns will find a way out of the contract, just like a woman gets a lawyer to break a prenuptial agreement after she gets married.

I am always excited, and respect anything about KU sports anything, but when it comes to this lousy conference and what it has become nah Im not that into it.It aint the conference that we grew up loving.The Big 12-2 left us and the rest of the schools that are not with Bevo here a long time ago

Eybea Opiner 9 months ago

Mizz-Who? It's surprising how quickly I've forgotten about them, and how little they cross my mind. They made their bed, it's time to sleep in it.

kayjku 9 months ago

Let them burn...I miss the basketball rivalry, but as BigBlue said, "the rivalry was fun, but missouri took away the fun. Now it's about business." It will never be personal again.

jayhawkintx1973 9 months ago

We shouldn't play them. They left the conference. There are consequences. Kansas should pick up a game each year with a team in the Big 10 or even Arkansas. Turn it into an inter-conference rivalry. Mizzou lost their chance to keep the series alive.

neutron84728 9 months ago

No one! Absolutely no one wants to ever see the state to the east of us in Kansas again. I would love to hear what Coach Fambrough would say about those sniviling cry babies from the state to the east of us.

Joan Kalivoda 9 months ago

No one wants the corncobs back. They have reach another low and have to build a 6 hundred million dollar arena so that they can recruit basketball players. Their football team is headed down as each year the team get worse. I will take Mo. before the cobs.

FinalFinal 9 months ago

I am glad he is the "former" and not the "current".

kay_you 9 months ago

Judging from these comments there is still enough anti-mu sentiment to renew the rivalry but at some point the hate will turn to indifference. I can’t say I don’t ever want to play them but I’m less interested now than I was a year ago. I harbor no ill will towards them for leaving but I do hold the president and ad in contempt for trying to portray themselves as the victims.

Bryce Landon 9 months ago

The rivalry should never be renewed. And we don't need the national media's permission on who we can or can't schedule. Not only Mizzoodle, but no more scheduling the Fluffaloes, Corn-Shucksters, or Gaggies either. Still can't believe the Fluffaloes were allowed back on the hoops schedule.

formerkansascoach 9 months ago

Are there any adults here who can stop kidding themselves? The history of interaction between KU and MU fans has made both states look uneducated and unmannered. Both Institutions had years to work on this, neither one wanted to take the high ground. Missouri leaving the Big 12 (along with first Nebraska, then Colorado, then aTm, had nothing to do with them liking or not liking KU fans or games. It was a function of the way the Presidents of the Universities voted in Big 12 meetings. Texas and Oklahoma wanted control of the money and tv rights and offered everyone else some carrots (probably generous basketball money to KU) and got the votes they wanted but not the financial fairness, NU, CU, aTm, and MU demanded. By leaving they forced the big 12 handout of another 12 million per institution, after the horses left the barn of course, but it is still something owed to them. ?Where's that money 50 million they paid to leave? If it's being distributed to the conference we should see a drop in revenue at KU next year. Kansas needs Missouri to play them in basketball and football, and Missouri needs Kansas to play them in football or basketball. I don't know where some of the writers here get the idea that Missouri or Kansas will lose the loyality of it's citizens due to each University belonging to different conferences. In years where there is a great difference in the quality of football and basketball programs, as is the case today, Missouri will pick up a few football players from the west side of the line and Kansas will pick up a few basketball players from the east side of the line.
Why then does Missouri continue to offer to play KU? ans. because the ticket and tv money would give both schools a big financial advantage over their respective conference members who cannot stage such a spectacle! Why does KU refuse to play the game, because the football program and Big 12 conf., is down at this time. In Basketball KU needs to carry lopsided records into the NCAA tournaments for seeding purposes. The occasional loss to Missouri risks #1 seeds that KU needs to cash in fully. Yes I know there are some other factors but most of everything else you read is a smokescreen to dumb down the mutual haters.
I absolutely loved the performance of both teams during KU/MU match ups. It was college athletics at it's best almost every year, but I'm glad it's gone because of the humiliating behavior of both fan bases, KU's has some samples here, and you don't have to look very hard to find Missouri's worst citizens also want to hide behind their Universities logo. My solution would be to issue cards to alums and fans, in the computer age bad behavior can eliminated by denying access to tickets, blogs, etc., etc., THEN we can renew a real rivalry between college educated people with manners and character.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 9 months ago

The only circumstance I would consider would be if we were to play in Lawrence every time.

Adam Gerval 9 months ago

There's a little buzz coming out that Harwell is cleared to play.

CWGOKU 9 months ago

I bet he does want to play KU. They need us, we don't need them. They need $ and we don't. They need "rivalries" to fill their stadium, just like the reason they came up with the idea of Homecoming, to get fans into the stands, who otherwise won't attend. Please shut up mu and go away. Try to show some dignity, for a change. Please, Powers that be at KU, don't play mu again.

Pbbut 9 months ago

Does anyone else think their desire is to try to protect a share of the KC market? I hear less and less on the radio about the MU and the SEC. KU's latest television package seems to be targeted at nailing down the local market.
Travel has to be awful for fans and parents trying to get to road games. Last year, the closest road game was in Knoxville, nearly eleven hours from KC. This year in-conference it's Nashville, still at eight+ hours and non-con at over seven hours to Bloomington IN. That's gotta be tough for fans who used to be able to travel and get home the same day to Manhattan, Lawrence, Ames and Lincoln if they had to. And that's just football. KC parents who have kids playing other conference sports like to see their kids play. Let's drive to Starkville, Mississippi to watch Rachel play soccer on Tuesday. Yeah, right.

gorilla10 9 months ago

Just as scheduled. Mizzou (SEC team) wants badly to schedule the Jayhawks (big12)! I saw this coming the day they made the move to the SEC.......tell them to kiss it!

Steve Brown 9 months ago

In basketball we had tradition of playing KY from Rupp to JB Hall and Pitino stopped it saying we don't recruit Kansas and get nothing out of this arrangement. He was right.

I enjoyed beating MU from sit down Norm to Arrowhead II bowl in the snow ending. I don't see what we get out of playing them. We get nothing out of it so drop it.

texashawk10 9 months ago

I have no problem admitting that I miss the rivalry. I know scheduling games with Missouri in the near future won't happen unless it's a tournament or bowl game and I'm fine with that because you don't go out of your way to help someone that was giving you the double bird on the way out the door. I have to admit that I was surprised the NCAA selection committee didn't put Missouri in KU's region last season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of the early season tournaments try and get KU and Missouri in it to create a KU-MU game. I asli believe the first KU-MU game post Missouri leaving will be in a non revenue sport in a postseason match up sine the NCAA likes to group teams together geographically in the regional rounds

troutsee 9 months ago

No!! No!! and heck No!!

afilmer 9 months ago

kueric 9 months ago

I miss the Border War. If I were SZ, I'd suggest to Mizzou that if they want to do a 9-year deal that I would consider it. Year 1 in Lawrence Year 2 in KC Year 3 in Lawrence Year 4 at Mizzou Year 5 in Lawrence Year 6 at Mizzou Year 7 in Lawrence Year 8 in KC Year 9 in Lawrence

They can accept that - otherwise they can continue taking a hike, and pummeling from the SEC.

hooligan42 9 months ago

The entire reason for mizzou to leave was money, I say that if they want to come back...OK, but mizzou would have to pay KU to play them for 10 years, or KU would receive all ticket sales from both sides for 10 years... something along that line. or MU would have to come back with a package deal with Arkansas (and give the sec WVU) then old rivalries would be back and travel distances would be manageable, recruiting bases would also be back, just a thought. In reality I think I'll have more fun watching mizzou circle the SEC drain for the foreseeable future. Oh yeah, don't forget to continue to falsely answer those mandatory survey questions!

shelleysue 9 months ago

I think it's a shame that Missouri (I refuse to refer to them as Mizzou because that is what they want) ended the greatest rivalry in sports. And I do believe they had a huge part in shaking up the conference. My fondest memory is 2008 and Kerry Meier's game winning touchdown. Best. Photo. Ever. And the look on the Missouri fan's faces, especially one who before the game wanted to take photos of KU fans while they were still smiling. His face was absolutely priceless after the game. Oh, how I miss that. But I agree - they ended the rivalry and now they need to accept the consequences like the adults they should be. And they really need to quit throwing KU under the bus. They knew what the consequences would be if they left, now they need to leave it alone. I don't know why we are all so surprised though, because it's classic Missouri. And the reason we love to hate them. ROCK CHALK!!

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 months ago

Pinkel's hope that "cool heads will prevail" is condescending. It seems he's hoping financial necessity will compel KU admin to forgive and forget.

Janet Olin 9 months ago

Too bad for Fizzoo, the SEC's new doormat. Bwaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa. They nearly collapsed the Big 12, now they can build a bridge and get over it. Just rewards.

BigBlue4KU 9 months ago

Hey, Pinkie (or whatever), I've got a suggestion, why not conjure up a big inter conference rivalry with those fight'n corn huskies (or whatever). I hear they are looking for some patsies. They are "close" to Kansas City. You guys could figure out how to fill Arrowhead. Oh, the corn balls (or whatever) don't need a KC game? I notice the KC area teams just aren't very interested in playing youse guys in KC. Interesting. Very interesting.

Ryan Shelton 9 months ago

Mizzou has no Identity right now. They have no rivalry, unless you count Illinois. What they have found out is that they are in purgatory. The Big XII hates them and the SEC finds them irrelevant, so much so that they put them in the East division. How's the traveling working out for you now?

I actually am one of the few who want to see the rivalry renewed, but they must make major concessions. All games at Memorial. They take none of the money generated, gate sales, tv, or otherwise. With every decision comes a price. Otherwise, they can continue to enjoy their new predicament.

In short, they need us.

Mizz83 9 months ago

I jumped on here to see what you KU types were saying about this. First, let me say that as a Mizzou grad and fan, I think it was a mistake for us to move to the SEC. I say that even though I live in Atlanta and will be close to some of the away games. Missouri simply does not belong in the SEC. I think they did that simply out of fear for ending up in the Mountain West conference or similar. It is a shame that we walked away from a 100 plus year conference relationship for these reasons. In addition, we probably did destabilize the big 12 by talking to the big 10 years ago.

I also have to say that I cannot blame any KU fan for their desire to avoid games with Missouri, if the roles were reversed we would feel the same way. Hopefully some day this rivalry will begin again in a non-conference mode, but I think it will be a while.

Bob Reinsch 9 months ago

When Mizzou was threatening to leave the Big 12, Dr. Zenger was very clear when he told MU's AD & Chancellor that if Mizzou left, the series would be over. He didn't stutter, and by all indications, he is a man of his word. I'm proud he's Kansas' AD and is sticking to his guns. Missouri and the entire SEC can shove it.

EdwordL 9 months ago

Don't think that Pinkel would have had much input into the MU decision to go to the SEC. I certainly wouldn't call him a great coach, but he manages to put a few guys into the NFL every year. Still, Ziggy Hood has not made much of an impact yet with the Steelers as a first round draft pick.

On another note, I followed a link from this site the other day to a Frank the Tank blog on the B1G Off Tackle Empire site; the man's opinions are considered by B1G fans to be well reasoned. He makes several references to KU being a potential add to the Big Ten in about 8-10 years, matching us in one scenario with UVa and in another with MU because the Border War is an attractive get for the conference. He also says that the conference would not automatically rule out elite FB programs whose academics don't meet Big Ten standards, among them OU and FSU. Of course, the conference still holds out hope for getting ND.

I still think the real destabilizer in all of this has been UT's behavior since the inception of the Big XII. Ending the annual rivalry between OU and NU should have been nixed by the Big 8 schools at the very beginning; the Big 8 did the former SWC schools a huge favor just bringing them in. If KU ever leaves the Big XII, it will be because we get an opportunity to do better as the expiration of the GOR approaches. Much as I dislike the Big Ten, it is stable. The Big 8 had its chance to survive as the secondary midwest-based athletic conference (Great Plains-based vs Great Lakes-based), secondary because we didn't have the largest population centers. If we wound up in the B1G, it could be a sobering and chastening move, in the sense that we would have to leave our home to regain a few of our neighbors (if MU or OU were the partner) Frank the Tank mentioned that NU would certainly like to resume the annual rivalry with OU.

Ludwig Supraphonic 9 months ago

So I help pay the bills for my spinster Sister, Edna McCoy but she doesn't feel appreciated. She decides to dump our whole clan and move in with the McCoy Klan. She would like to come back three times a year to vacation and get some help with her bills.

JayDocMD 9 months ago

He'll get over it after another jumbo glass of wine

Robert Brown 9 months ago

After one year in the conference, I wonder MU has any regrets. They have taken a financial hit at least initially. There was a recent article in St Louis Post that indicated travel costs were significantly higher than planned and there were some complaints by the coaches from some of the minor sports of long bus rides to Florida and Georgia.

The money the Big 12 is now making is a lot closer to what the SEC will get than expected two years ago and besides the increased travel costs, MU is in a huge "arms war". They need to significantly increase their spending to become competitive within the SEC.

I know this would never happen, but if the Big 12 and SEC could work out a swap of MU for WV, I'd be for it.

hotrodm 9 months ago

puckfinkle, Mizzoo blew up the Big 12 and now the SEC will blow up Mizzou.

FinalFinal 9 months ago

Folks that want to play them are not really KU fans. There is no way we ever throw them a bone.

MU fans are lost in KC right now. Get a few beers in rational ones and that get sad and emotional. They have regret.

The question should not be whether we ever play an SEC MU but would the Big XII take them back?

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 9 months ago

I think coach Pinkel had too much wine again.

jhawkln 9 months ago

Muck Fizzou! In the post Border War era, KU and the Big XII are forever to choke their recruiting pipeline and cut off any financial gains in the KC area. Let them suffocate on their own arrogance. I love watching them become a doorstep for the SEC. I hope they stay out of KC forever and shrivel up in the pro sports town of St. Louis.

Terran Woolley 9 months ago

Pinkel will be unemployed at seasons end and he knows it.

Matt Gauntt 9 months ago

And if you look at Rivals.com, Mizzzzery had the worst SEC recruiting class in 2013, and so far for 2014, they are second to last, only being out Arkansas. Shaping up to be the doormat of the SEC like so many of us predicted.

Matt Gauntt 9 months ago

Not interested Gary - go find some other team to develop a 100 year tradition with since you destroyed ours in your pursuit of greener pastures.

Hurinfan 9 months ago

It's funny how they always try to play the victim. It's sad that some people buy it.

Ferd Magellan 9 months ago

"“I wish we were still playing Kansas,” Pinkel said. "

And I wish your school hadn't destabilized the Big 12.

It's over as long as Zenger is in charge.

chezlog 9 months ago

As much as I hated misery and their fans I did not hate all of their players. George Shorthose (1980-84) for instance was a name that any Jayhawk could appreciate about MU football.

Adam McEwen 9 months ago

Pinkel is just trying to avoid unemployment, looking for a win over an old rival that he thinks will be a pushover since his pussykitties got mopped up last season by the SEC, but I think this new batch of hawks would give him more than he bargained for. We are going to surprise some people folks, 5 games that were in reach last year without a kicker and a qb that could complete a pass, and we still came damn close! Look out!

RoyalsChiefsJayhawksSportingKC 9 months ago

I think KU should resume its series with Mizzou in football and other sports not named men's basketball.

KanFan27 9 months ago

The 25th ranked person on that list of top transfers was Tyler Patmon. I was really surprised to see that. I'm more surprised that he was ranked ahead of Harwell. If he is eligible and OSU is unfortunate enough to need Patmon in their lineup Harwell will show that Patmon did not deserve to be anywhere near that list.

Adam McEwen 9 months ago

and btw, I thought it was the "Border Showdown" Whoever thought that up needs to grow a pair, we hate each other, it's a war. Embrace the hate.

chezlog 9 months ago

I do not miss watching a game where KU plays misery. I loved watching us beat them but I always hated their fans. I am truly glad to see them gone.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 months ago

After answering the KU football question Pinkle was asked to follow a pin with his eyes without turning his head, walk heel-to-toe down a chalk line turn around and come back, tilt his head back with arms out and touch his fingertip to his nose, and finally told to blow into a machine until it beeps.

Todd 9 months ago

I'm sorry, but the Kansas City comment sealed the stupidity of his sentiment. We should do absolutely nothing that benefits that institution. If they want to resume the rivalry, then they can travel to Lawrence every other year.

Adam McEwen 9 months ago

Amazed how Mizzou just doesn't seem to get it. Their wishy washy ways demolished the big 12, ended 100 year traditions and now they want to pretend like nothing happened and make us out to be the bad guy. Watch and wait, the kids who play in the SEC stay home and play for in state schools, and to the them Mizzou is a foreign territory. Kids in their traditional recruiting areas like texas want to play in the Big 12 and pretty soon, Mizzou will be a perennial bottom dweller in the SEC, horrendous mistake in jumping ship on their part, but then again they are Mizzou. Personally, I hope we NEVER play them again in any sport. I suppose it could possibly happen in the NCAA tournament, but unlikely unless it was a first round matchup.

okiedave 9 months ago

Missouri has lost it's only reason for it's sports program -- its opportunity to play the Jayhawks every year in football and at least twice a year in basketball. Missouri will be relegated to a bottom dweller in the SEC in football and, because the Jayhawks are no longer on their schedule, their basketball program will slide a similar path. Nothing to excite the Missouri fans anymore.