Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mizzou’s Pinkel pines for return of Border War

Missouri coach Gary Pinkel talks with reporters during the SEC football Media Days in Hoover, Ala., Tuesday, July 16, 2013.

The Missouri Tigers may be on the verge of playing their second season in the ultra-tough Southeastern Conference, but head coach Gary Pinkel’s thoughts have not strayed too far from the Big 12.

Tuesday at SEC Media Days in Birmingham, Ala., Pinkel told Jay Binkley of Kansas City’s 610 Sports Radio that he missed Missouri’s annual match-up with Kansas University.

“I wish we were still playing Kansas,” Pinkel said. “You’d like to think that we’d get together and get that game going again.”

KU and Missouri last met on the gridiron in the fall of 2011, with the Tigers topping the Jayhawks, 24-10. One of the biggest reasons the Border War rivals are not still playing is the belief of KU athletic department officials that it was the Tigers who ended the rivalry by leaving the Big 12 for the SEC two years ago. Nearly all of the powers that be at KU — from athletic director Sheahon Zenger to men’s basketball coach Bill Self and football coach Charlie Weis — have shown no interest in resuming the rivalry that once was the longest uninterrupted series west of the Mississippi River.

According to Pinkel, now in his 13th season in charge of Missouri football, that’s too bad.

“I guess the way I’ve always looked at it was, if we could play it the first or second week of every season and play it in Kansas City, that would be great to do and I think both teams could make a lot of money doing it,” Pinkel said. “Hopefully some cool heads will prevail through this and look at it (and) we’ll have an opportunity to play it again and make it work.”

Big 12 Media Days

Pinkel may have had his chance to talk about the rivalry formerly known as the Border War at SEC Media Days on Tuesday, but don’t expect the Tigers or the topic to come up at Big 12 Media Days next week in Dallas.

KU coach Charlie Weis will join the conference’s nine other coaches and several player reps from each school Monday and Tuesday to preview the upcoming season. In addition to Weis, KU will be represented by junior quarterback Jake Heaps, junior linebacker Ben Heeney, senior running back James Sims and junior safety Cassius Sendish.

After that, the next key date for KU football is Aug. 6, when players are scheduled to report to campus for fall camp, which is slated to begin Aug. 7.

Heaping on the praise

Three Jayhawks landed in the top 26 of a recent article at athlonsports.com that predicted the top 25 impact transfers for the 2013 college football season.

Quarterback Jake Heaps, who came to KU from BYU and sat out the 2012 season, was ranked third among all transfers nationally. Of Heaps, Athlon writer Steve Lassan wrote: “There’s no question Heaps should be an upgrade over Kansas’ quarterbacks from last season, but it’s unrealistic to expect him to contend for all-Big 12 honors. The Jayhawks also need to upgrade the weapons around Heaps for him to succeed in 2013.”

The funny thing about that? The other two Jayhawks on Lassan’s list were Heaps’ weapons.

Lassan ranked wide receiver and Oklahoma transfer Justin McCay 18th and said: “The Jayhawks are counting on McCay to emerge as a go-to threat for Heaps.”

He ranked Miami (Ohio) transfer Nick Harwell 26th, with his “Bonus” tag, and wrote: “Harwell still has some work to do in order to be eligible this fall. However, should the All-MAC receiver graduate from Miami (Ohio), he will give the Jayhawks’ offense a much-needed go-to receiver. ... Assuming he’s eligible in 2013, Harwell will be a starter for the Jayhawks from the first snap of fall camp.”

Harwell’s lawyer, Don Jackson, told the Journal-World earlier this week that he was still working toward getting his client enrolled in the classes he needs at Miami to graduate. Jackson said he remained “cautiously optimistic” that Harwell will be eligible to play at KU this fall.

Comments

okiedave 1 year, 3 months ago

Missouri has lost it's only reason for it's sports program -- its opportunity to play the Jayhawks every year in football and at least twice a year in basketball. Missouri will be relegated to a bottom dweller in the SEC in football and, because the Jayhawks are no longer on their schedule, their basketball program will slide a similar path. Nothing to excite the Missouri fans anymore.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

In other words, exactly what all of us knew was going to happen. It was so damn predictable, and now the little whiners are pleading for their big rivalry again. Well suck it, tiggers!

1 year, 3 months ago

LAJayhawk5 would be proud of you, actorman :^)

Adam McEwen 1 year, 3 months ago

Amazed how Mizzou just doesn't seem to get it. Their wishy washy ways demolished the big 12, ended 100 year traditions and now they want to pretend like nothing happened and make us out to be the bad guy. Watch and wait, the kids who play in the SEC stay home and play for in state schools, and to the them Mizzou is a foreign territory. Kids in their traditional recruiting areas like texas want to play in the Big 12 and pretty soon, Mizzou will be a perennial bottom dweller in the SEC, horrendous mistake in jumping ship on their part, but then again they are Mizzou. Personally, I hope we NEVER play them again in any sport. I suppose it could possibly happen in the NCAA tournament, but unlikely unless it was a first round matchup.

fearthephog512 1 year, 3 months ago

Something that you really don't want to hear your head coach say ... "We wish we were playing one of the worst Big 12 teams." Seems to indicate not only that they're pining for easier competition, but that he's also not happy with the program's trajectory. Overall, it just doesn't inspire confidence in a program or fan base.

Topher Peters 1 year, 3 months ago

"one of "...? But I get what you're saying.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

The Big 12 is not demolished. Mizzoo just stirred up a whole bunch of mud, but ultimately left the conference in better condition - even besides addition by subtraction.

In the end tho, Good Riddance.

Todd 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm sorry, but the Kansas City comment sealed the stupidity of his sentiment. We should do absolutely nothing that benefits that institution. If they want to resume the rivalry, then they can travel to Lawrence every other year.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 3 months ago

After answering the KU football question Pinkle was asked to follow a pin with his eyes without turning his head, walk heel-to-toe down a chalk line turn around and come back, tilt his head back with arms out and touch his fingertip to his nose, and finally told to blow into a machine until it beeps.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 3 months ago

What type of machine do you suggest he should blow into?

chezlog 1 year, 3 months ago

I do not miss watching a game where KU plays misery. I loved watching us beat them but I always hated their fans. I am truly glad to see them gone.

Adam McEwen 1 year, 3 months ago

and btw, I thought it was the "Border Showdown" Whoever thought that up needs to grow a pair, we hate each other, it's a war. Embrace the hate.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, it became the Border Showdown shortly after the actual wars started in Afghanistan and Iraq. They thought that trivializing the term by using it in an athletic contest was in poor taste. I understand the motivation, but think sometimes we go too far with the PC.

I agree with you, both sides hate each other and it stems from an actual war so I always referred to it as the Border War.

Cmill1221 1 year, 3 months ago

Oregon and Oregon state play the "Civil War". That makes ZERO sense. They didnt change it to the "Civil Showdown". I see no connection between a war in Afghanistan/Iraq and an athletic event with Kansas and missouri. The reason it's called the Border war is because there is an actual connection to a real war!! The states that the schools represent did actually fight in an actual war. I think it's almost disrespectful to call it a showdown. This irritates me sooooo effin much!!

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't disagree with you. The root cause and animosity between the fan bases makes use of the term "War" justifiable in my opinion. No one was mistaking the games against each other for the actual wars fought by our soldiers. I just remember that when the name change was made, there were press releases (joint or separate I can't remember) that they thought the name was disrespectful or trivialized the actual fighting facing our soldiers. Just reporting what I remembered to be the reasoning for the "rebranding" of the rivalry.

Jonathan Briles 1 year, 3 months ago

The 25th ranked person on that list of top transfers was Tyler Patmon. I was really surprised to see that. I'm more surprised that he was ranked ahead of Harwell. If he is eligible and OSU is unfortunate enough to need Patmon in their lineup Harwell will show that Patmon did not deserve to be anywhere near that list.

Steve Corder 1 year, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, I don't believe Harwell will be on the field this year.

VaJay 1 year, 3 months ago

Fortunately, I'm still hoping he will.

milehighhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Jon Kirby of Rivals had a good update. He indicated Harwell's attorney made a formal push with the University again today, and they have to hear back something by the end of the week.

He also said Miami's APR is borderline right now, and not allowing Harwell to graduate could be a major strike against them.

Finally, Jake Heaps tweeted something today about "good news soon" -- not saying it's Harwell, but I think more signs are pointing to "YES" than not.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

Patmon is also listed in the CB article as being a significant contributor for OSU.

RoyalsChiefsJayhawksSportingKC 1 year, 3 months ago

I think KU should resume its series with Mizzou in football and other sports not named men's basketball.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

No way. Leave their miserable athletic program to die a well-deserved death at the bottom of the SEC every year.

RCJay 1 year, 3 months ago

It doesn't help KU at all to play MU and it gives MU and the SEC somewhat of a presence in KC. If it doesn't help your team and it helps another team/conference why bother? KU told MU long before MU betrayed the Big 12 that we wouldn't play them if they switched. Why should we become liars, let MU keep that title.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 3 months ago

Agreed. I think an overwhelming majority DO NOT want to play Misery EVERY again!

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

In the words of Winston Churchill: Never, ever, ever, ever, ever play Mizzou.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

If we want a new rival in Missouri, let's begin playing Missouri State. That would really get under the University of Missouri-Columbia's skin. I don't ever want to play the traitor's again until the first round of the NCAA tournament in the future. I'm sure Wichita State would be upset too if we played Missouri State and not them...oh well, we can't please everyone. RCJH!!!

Adam McEwen 1 year, 3 months ago

Pinkel is just trying to avoid unemployment, looking for a win over an old rival that he thinks will be a pushover since his pussykitties got mopped up last season by the SEC, but I think this new batch of hawks would give him more than he bargained for. We are going to surprise some people folks, 5 games that were in reach last year without a kicker and a qb that could complete a pass, and we still came damn close! Look out!

chezlog 1 year, 3 months ago

As much as I hated misery and their fans I did not hate all of their players. George Shorthose (1980-84) for instance was a name that any Jayhawk could appreciate about MU football.

Hurinfan 1 year, 3 months ago

It's funny how they always try to play the victim. It's sad that some people buy it.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you. If you listen to KC sports radio, not a single friggin' commentator gets it. Poor little Mizzou - they had no choice but to return to Dixie...KU shouldn't be so mean about it.......

Matt Gauntt 1 year, 3 months ago

Not interested Gary - go find some other team to develop a 100 year tradition with since you destroyed ours in your pursuit of greener pastures.

Matt Gauntt 1 year, 3 months ago

And if you look at Rivals.com, Mizzzzery had the worst SEC recruiting class in 2013, and so far for 2014, they are second to last, only being out Arkansas. Shaping up to be the doormat of the SEC like so many of us predicted.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

They'll be begging to get back in the 12 within 3 years. The best way to keep the War going then is simple....never let 'em in.

jhawkln 1 year, 3 months ago

Muck Fizzou! In the post Border War era, KU and the Big XII are forever to choke their recruiting pipeline and cut off any financial gains in the KC area. Let them suffocate on their own arrogance. I love watching them become a doorstep for the SEC. I hope they stay out of KC forever and shrivel up in the pro sports town of St. Louis.

FinalFinal 1 year, 3 months ago

Folks that want to play them are not really KU fans. There is no way we ever throw them a bone.

MU fans are lost in KC right now. Get a few beers in rational ones and that get sad and emotional. They have regret.

The question should not be whether we ever play an SEC MU but would the Big XII take them back?

hotrodm 1 year, 3 months ago

puckfinkle, Mizzoo blew up the Big 12 and now the SEC will blow up Mizzou.

Robert Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

After one year in the conference, I wonder MU has any regrets. They have taken a financial hit at least initially. There was a recent article in St Louis Post that indicated travel costs were significantly higher than planned and there were some complaints by the coaches from some of the minor sports of long bus rides to Florida and Georgia.

The money the Big 12 is now making is a lot closer to what the SEC will get than expected two years ago and besides the increased travel costs, MU is in a huge "arms war". They need to significantly increase their spending to become competitive within the SEC.

I know this would never happen, but if the Big 12 and SEC could work out a swap of MU for WV, I'd be for it.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

I'd prefer Arkansas. MU should never be allowed back in this conference for any reason, ever.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

Arkansas? Get real! It took the Hogs years to get away from the creepy University of Texas and the UT toadies. Why would they want to join a conference with those rats again?

Lance Cheney 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't say "arms war." I believe the proper term is "arms showdown."

JayDocMD 1 year, 3 months ago

He'll get over it after another jumbo glass of wine

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 3 months ago

So I help pay the bills for my spinster Sister, Edna McCoy but she doesn't feel appreciated. She decides to dump our whole clan and move in with the McCoy Klan. She would like to come back three times a year to vacation and get some help with her bills.

Mizz83 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks for the well thought out comments. I do think that the B1G would favor adding both KU and MU together, once the rights grant period ends for the Big 12 teams. MU and KU both belong in a midwestern conference. Texas has been the bully in the Big 12 and they were the root cause of the issues that everyone else has had with the conference.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

That is simply false. Petty jealousy on the part of CU, NU, A&M and MU was the root cause of trouble. Any school that can get its own cable channel like Texas did should be able to do so without other league schools crying and bitching about it.

actorman 1 year, 3 months ago

It's not a question of UT being ABLE to get their own cable channel, it's a question of UT bullying the other schools from the beginning of the Big XII into doing whatever it wants to do, whether it be moving the conference to Dallas or getting a larger slice of the financial pie. From the beginning UT has been arrogant about wanting things their way or not playing ball. That's why most other conferences won't even consider adding them, despite the power and prestige that they bring.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe that once the playoff expands to 16, which it inevitably will, the drive for super-conferences will be over.

Though TV contracts are important, conferences will stabilize because they will have a path to the championship.

Bob Reinsch 1 year, 3 months ago

When Mizzou was threatening to leave the Big 12, Dr. Zenger was very clear when he told MU's AD & Chancellor that if Mizzou left, the series would be over. He didn't stutter, and by all indications, he is a man of his word. I'm proud he's Kansas' AD and is sticking to his guns. Missouri and the entire SEC can shove it.

Mizz83 1 year, 3 months ago

I jumped on here to see what you KU types were saying about this. First, let me say that as a Mizzou grad and fan, I think it was a mistake for us to move to the SEC. I say that even though I live in Atlanta and will be close to some of the away games. Missouri simply does not belong in the SEC. I think they did that simply out of fear for ending up in the Mountain West conference or similar. It is a shame that we walked away from a 100 plus year conference relationship for these reasons. In addition, we probably did destabilize the big 12 by talking to the big 10 years ago.

I also have to say that I cannot blame any KU fan for their desire to avoid games with Missouri, if the roles were reversed we would feel the same way. Hopefully some day this rivalry will begin again in a non-conference mode, but I think it will be a while.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 3 months ago

I absolutely agree with Mizz83 (whoa am I drunk). Had we been the school to leave for another conference, I wouldn't want us to beg MU to keep playing each year. They have everything to gain by getting a foothold back in KC and the chance to make their season with a win, and we have everything to lose, especially in basketball. We can schedule better teams in a non-conference basketball game than they could provide, and it isn't worth the paycheck it would generate. As for the football, we should focus on winning all our non-conference games each year to give us the best chance to be bowl eligible, not using it to reward MU. No reason to give them the best of both worlds.

Although unrelated to the article and resuming the Border War, did anyone see that Pinkel and his staff have put in place rules to limit hitting during practice. Apparently they had a spike in injuries this past season and this is designed to keep the team healthy. While I have never watched a practice of theirs (he probably would kick me out if I tried to run stairs), something tells me it has less to do with the way they hit in practice and more to do with the giant fast defenses they faced in the SEC while trying to use his small fast players in the spread offense that tore up the Big 12.

To have any chance at all, I think MU will have to change offenses (maybe even the head coach) and re-do their entire recruiting philosophy to bring in players that can play SEC football. If you aren't winning, it becomes really tough to bring in quality players as KU fans have seen in recent years. It all just becomes a downward spiral until you become the butt of jokes. Can't say I'm too broken up about it since I predicted this sort of thing would happen when they left, but it is nice to see it play out.

TommieSmithElbow 1 year, 3 months ago

Well stated, and as your comment says "but I think it will be a while", I think it will be a VERY long time, and rightfully so. I said at the time that I wasn't sure which decision Mizzou should make (for themselves), but predicted that whichever decision they made, they would look back in 10 years and realize they choose poorly. Now I'm thinking 10 years might have been optimistic!

KGphoto 1 year, 3 months ago

Way to man up! You’re a rare tiger.

Yes, of course. MU cut ties and jumped, out of fear the ship was sinking. You’re not alone. NU and CU chickened out too. The SEC was at the very least seaworthy, and they offered the position of swab, which I suppose beats drowning. I can’t say KU wouldn’t have done the same thing had they been offered. (Perhaps not the SEC, but the B1G for sure.) But now the tiggers are on a strange ship with strange fellows and they are sailing in unfamiliar seas. The SEC was not their first choice. It was an emergency landing.

In fact Drinkel is probably feeling a little nauseous, and this time it’s not from a couple jumbo glasses of wine. This time it’s because he wants his mama. His school jumped from a cozy cruise liner onto a pirate ship. It’s dark and dirty, and everybody is tough and mean, and even HE can’t hang with all the drinking. They spit, swear, cheat, rape and pillage. It’s a nightmare, even by MU standards. Then he looks back at the wounded cruiser, and the darn thing is not only still afloat, but it’s gleaming! The glorious rivalry nestled deep within, out of reach. Bummer.

It’s doubtful you will ever be allowed back on our cruise liner, and you can’t have the rivalry. You’re only hope of seeing it again is if fate brings us together, one day, on the B1G battleship.

1 year, 3 months ago

Avast! Man the Mizzoumast! Tis the smallest mast bringing up the rear, indeed :-)

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

I seriously doubt that you are a Mizzou fan. You're a KU fan masquerading as a Mizzou fan saying what we want to hear real Mizzou fans say but know we never will.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't believe for one minute that you are a Mizzou fan. You are a KU fan masquerading as a Mizzou fan saying what we wish Mizzou fans would say but know they never will.

Mizz83 1 year, 3 months ago

I am a diehard Mizzou Tiger, bred to hate KU. I am simply being truthful about why I think all of this happened. In addition to that, this is your venue, not mine, so I am trying to be respectful of you all.

I have talked to a lot of my fellow alum and many of us think this SEC move was a mistake. Part of it is related to the tradition of the Big 8/12 but I argue that it makes no sense to have a volleyball team fly 1000 miles to Florida to play games when they could drive to Ames or Lawrence much more easily. It is just a money grab.

At the same time, how much sense does it make for you all to fly to West Virginia for a conference game? This is all out of hand.

MichealJayHox 1 year, 3 months ago

Mizz83 - Thank you for your candid post and for not letting emotion factor into it. I sometimes wonder if not renewing the rivalry in some capacity is KU being stubborn. Let's face it, we made money from it just like MU did. But in the end, I think you summarized the situation perfectly. Well done.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 3 months ago

Mizzou has no Identity right now. They have no rivalry, unless you count Illinois. What they have found out is that they are in purgatory. The Big XII hates them and the SEC finds them irrelevant, so much so that they put them in the East division. How's the traveling working out for you now?

I actually am one of the few who want to see the rivalry renewed, but they must make major concessions. All games at Memorial. They take none of the money generated, gate sales, tv, or otherwise. With every decision comes a price. Otherwise, they can continue to enjoy their new predicament.

In short, they need us.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

Your point on Illinois is is a good one. Look at Mizzou's traditional rivals: KU and Illinois. Now...neither of them are in MU's conference. What a bunch of boneheads.

I do think that Mizzou might be able to develop a rivalry with Arkansas, but that takes a long time - it is not an overnight sort of thing.

BigBlue4KU 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey, Pinkie (or whatever), I've got a suggestion, why not conjure up a big inter conference rivalry with those fight'n corn huskies (or whatever). I hear they are looking for some patsies. They are "close" to Kansas City. You guys could figure out how to fill Arrowhead. Oh, the corn balls (or whatever) don't need a KC game? I notice the KC area teams just aren't very interested in playing youse guys in KC. Interesting. Very interesting.

Janet Olin 1 year, 3 months ago

Too bad for Fizzoo, the SEC's new doormat. Bwaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaa. They nearly collapsed the Big 12, now they can build a bridge and get over it. Just rewards.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 3 months ago

Pinkel's hope that "cool heads will prevail" is condescending. It seems he's hoping financial necessity will compel KU admin to forgive and forget.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, the Mizzou opinion is that a "cool head" means that they get what they want. Anything else is an immature response from KU.

Self put it best when he basically said that we don't really need to schedule them - it doesn't help build our program. My definition of a "cool head" is to do those things that help build our programs.

shelleysue 1 year, 3 months ago

I think it's a shame that Missouri (I refuse to refer to them as Mizzou because that is what they want) ended the greatest rivalry in sports. And I do believe they had a huge part in shaking up the conference. My fondest memory is 2008 and Kerry Meier's game winning touchdown. Best. Photo. Ever. And the look on the Missouri fan's faces, especially one who before the game wanted to take photos of KU fans while they were still smiling. His face was absolutely priceless after the game. Oh, how I miss that. But I agree - they ended the rivalry and now they need to accept the consequences like the adults they should be. And they really need to quit throwing KU under the bus. They knew what the consequences would be if they left, now they need to leave it alone. I don't know why we are all so surprised though, because it's classic Missouri. And the reason we love to hate them. ROCK CHALK!!

Jack Jones 1 year, 3 months ago

Priceless post, Shellysue. Thanks for the reminder. What a game, indeed!!

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree Shelly, look at my screen name. They are the University of Missouri-Columbia or UM-C. Nothing more, nothing less. They want to be called Mizzou and we should all refuse to please them.

kueric 1 year, 3 months ago

I miss the Border War. If I were SZ, I'd suggest to Mizzou that if they want to do a 9-year deal that I would consider it. Year 1 in Lawrence Year 2 in KC Year 3 in Lawrence Year 4 at Mizzou Year 5 in Lawrence Year 6 at Mizzou Year 7 in Lawrence Year 8 in KC Year 9 in Lawrence

They can accept that - otherwise they can continue taking a hike, and pummeling from the SEC.

KGphoto 1 year, 3 months ago

They’ll get nothing! And like it!

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

With the exception of Missouri I have feel nothing but indifference towards the four defectors but as a matter of principle I don’t think any team in our conference should schedule games with them. These were business partners who skipped town. No need to hold a grudge but we should not reward them in any way shape or form.

afilmer 1 year, 3 months ago

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

I have no problem admitting that I miss the rivalry. I know scheduling games with Missouri in the near future won't happen unless it's a tournament or bowl game and I'm fine with that because you don't go out of your way to help someone that was giving you the double bird on the way out the door. I have to admit that I was surprised the NCAA selection committee didn't put Missouri in KU's region last season. I also wouldn't be surprised to see one of the early season tournaments try and get KU and Missouri in it to create a KU-MU game. I asli believe the first KU-MU game post Missouri leaving will be in a non revenue sport in a postseason match up sine the NCAA likes to group teams together geographically in the regional rounds

Steve Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

In basketball we had tradition of playing KY from Rupp to JB Hall and Pitino stopped it saying we don't recruit Kansas and get nothing out of this arrangement. He was right.

I enjoyed beating MU from sit down Norm to Arrowhead II bowl in the snow ending. I don't see what we get out of playing them. We get nothing out of it so drop it.

Sam Brockert 1 year, 3 months ago

Well, that wasn't the ONLY reason he stopped it. You have to remember the butt kicking he received from Roy's Boys. If I remember right immediately after that is when he said he wasn't going to schedule KU anymore. What was the score of that game? Like 150 to 75 or something?

gorilla10 1 year, 3 months ago

Just as scheduled. Mizzou (SEC team) wants badly to schedule the Jayhawks (big12)! I saw this coming the day they made the move to the SEC.......tell them to kiss it!

Pbbut 1 year, 3 months ago

Does anyone else think their desire is to try to protect a share of the KC market? I hear less and less on the radio about the MU and the SEC. KU's latest television package seems to be targeted at nailing down the local market.
Travel has to be awful for fans and parents trying to get to road games. Last year, the closest road game was in Knoxville, nearly eleven hours from KC. This year in-conference it's Nashville, still at eight+ hours and non-con at over seven hours to Bloomington IN. That's gotta be tough for fans who used to be able to travel and get home the same day to Manhattan, Lawrence, Ames and Lincoln if they had to. And that's just football. KC parents who have kids playing other conference sports like to see their kids play. Let's drive to Starkville, Mississippi to watch Rachel play soccer on Tuesday. Yeah, right.

Robert Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

The beauty of the Big 8 was the proximity of the schools. Lincoln, Ames, Lawrence, Columbia and Manhattan are all within a 4-5 hour drive of each other. The Oklahoma schools were only a few hours further away. I don't know how much this proximity was fully appreciated at the time.

West Virginia is in the worst shape of any of the big conference schools. The closest school is 900 miles away.

formerkansascoach 1 year, 3 months ago

Are there any adults here who can stop kidding themselves? The history of interaction between KU and MU fans has made both states look uneducated and unmannered. Both Institutions had years to work on this, neither one wanted to take the high ground. Missouri leaving the Big 12 (along with first Nebraska, then Colorado, then aTm, had nothing to do with them liking or not liking KU fans or games. It was a function of the way the Presidents of the Universities voted in Big 12 meetings. Texas and Oklahoma wanted control of the money and tv rights and offered everyone else some carrots (probably generous basketball money to KU) and got the votes they wanted but not the financial fairness, NU, CU, aTm, and MU demanded. By leaving they forced the big 12 handout of another 12 million per institution, after the horses left the barn of course, but it is still something owed to them. ?Where's that money 50 million they paid to leave? If it's being distributed to the conference we should see a drop in revenue at KU next year. Kansas needs Missouri to play them in basketball and football, and Missouri needs Kansas to play them in football or basketball. I don't know where some of the writers here get the idea that Missouri or Kansas will lose the loyality of it's citizens due to each University belonging to different conferences. In years where there is a great difference in the quality of football and basketball programs, as is the case today, Missouri will pick up a few football players from the west side of the line and Kansas will pick up a few basketball players from the east side of the line.
Why then does Missouri continue to offer to play KU? ans. because the ticket and tv money would give both schools a big financial advantage over their respective conference members who cannot stage such a spectacle! Why does KU refuse to play the game, because the football program and Big 12 conf., is down at this time. In Basketball KU needs to carry lopsided records into the NCAA tournaments for seeding purposes. The occasional loss to Missouri risks #1 seeds that KU needs to cash in fully. Yes I know there are some other factors but most of everything else you read is a smokescreen to dumb down the mutual haters.
I absolutely loved the performance of both teams during KU/MU match ups. It was college athletics at it's best almost every year, but I'm glad it's gone because of the humiliating behavior of both fan bases, KU's has some samples here, and you don't have to look very hard to find Missouri's worst citizens also want to hide behind their Universities logo. My solution would be to issue cards to alums and fans, in the computer age bad behavior can eliminated by denying access to tickets, blogs, etc., etc., THEN we can renew a real rivalry between college educated people with manners and character.

CougIsLJW 1 year, 3 months ago

"My solution would be to issue cards to alums and fans, in the computer age bad behavior can eliminated by denying access to tickets, blogs, etc., etc., THEN we can renew a real rivalry between college educated people with manners and character."

Really?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 3 months ago

This is all old news and pretty condescending to us dummies. This reminds me of Chris Fowler's comments on ESPN - where he suggested that everyone needed to act like adults. All the while, he was hosting game day in front of a crowd of drunken fans with their bellies painted and screaming War Eagle! or something like it. It's all about maturity until someone needs to sell some tickets, sell some apparel and gather some donations.

Lest you forget, MU's departure almost led to the collapse of the league and, possibly, the beginning of the end for KU athletics (Bill Self says goodbye to a school in a mid-major conference).

No one doubts that Pinkel didn't want to go to slaughter in the SEC or that he doesn't want to continue playing us. But we should never, ever, ever play the school that walked away from one of the great rivalries in sport. There is no real gain for us as we can develop a bigger rivalry with the Purple Plague. MU, though, hung itself.

I say.....let 'em twist in the wind.

prrkc 1 year, 3 months ago

MU's leaving almost lead to the collapse of the B12? Not OU or UT TWICE trying to leave and take friends with them? Ah, KU education combined with Kansans usual ability to believe whatever they want to believe, regardless of those pesky facts.

Btw, it's hilarious that 'no one cares about MU', yet LJW goes out of their way to post this story, which then gets loads of comments from folks who clearly 'don't care.'

We're in the richest, most stable and most successful conference in college athletics, and no longer have to kiss UT's feet (enjoy that FB game on the LHN this year, btw, looks like you're going to get to do that about every other year, since evidently KU will put up with it, unlike many other B12 schools), believe me, the last thing we care about is playing KU.

It is fun to watch you all have absolute cows about something that supposedly means nothing to you, it's hilarious.

Sam Constance 1 year, 3 months ago

Awww, that's cute. If you can't admit that the "richest, most stable and most successful conference in college athletics" is treating your school like the piss-colored stepchild, then you aren't being honest with yourself.

Also, the SEC is dominant in football. This is a known fact. However, I'm constantly amused by the people (who coincidentally happen to be the fans of the loser schools in the conference that can't seem to accomplish anything on their own, and so they talk a big game about their CONFERENCE) who refer to the SEC as the most successful conference in "athletics".

The day I start thinking about spouting off about my team's conference on another team's message board is the day that I hope I have enough self-awareness to stop posting. Or at least enough senility to be unable to work the computer.

Ryan Gerstner 1 year, 3 months ago

NU and A&M didn't want equal distribution of money. That was Mizzou, CU, and others getting a lesser cut. Not everything was demanded by UT/OU.

BigBlue4KU 1 year, 3 months ago

If you are "formerkansascoach" you know this entire piece is crap. Your comments about the fans is as ridiculous as your solution. Kansas City is fertile recruiting ground for the Big 12. If you were a Kansas City parent of a Major College athlete would you rather have your child play in a conference where most of your games were played in a 500 mile radius or in a conference where no games were played in a 500 mile radius? Missouri played itself into an ugly corner. Why would Kansas help them recruit? Heck Kansas could sell out a KC game against K-State or Iowa State as easily as Missouri and keep the money in the conference. Even a game against Nebraska makes more sense than playing Missouri. The rivalry was fun, but Missouri took away the fun. Now its about business. Your analysis is crap.

Sam Constance 1 year, 3 months ago

I would respond to this if I had a clue what message you were trying to get across beyond some generic lamenting of the lack of education/manners/character in college sports rivalries.

Perhaps I'll preempt the forthcoming "get off my lawn" and see myself out.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 3 months ago

The rivalry should never be renewed. And we don't need the national media's permission on who we can or can't schedule. Not only Mizzoodle, but no more scheduling the Fluffaloes, Corn-Shucksters, or Gaggies either. Still can't believe the Fluffaloes were allowed back on the hoops schedule.

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

Judging from these comments there is still enough anti-mu sentiment to renew the rivalry but at some point the hate will turn to indifference. I can’t say I don’t ever want to play them but I’m less interested now than I was a year ago. I harbor no ill will towards them for leaving but I do hold the president and ad in contempt for trying to portray themselves as the victims.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 3 months ago

Come on. They almost caused the whole conference to collapse. They were in they were in they were in! 100% IN! Then they did a complete 180 and were leaving and GONE. I don't every wanna play them again period!

FinalFinal 1 year, 3 months ago

I am glad he is the "former" and not the "current".

neutron84728 1 year, 3 months ago

No one! Absolutely no one wants to ever see the state to the east of us in Kansas again. I would love to hear what Coach Fambrough would say about those sniviling cry babies from the state to the east of us.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

We shouldn't play them. They left the conference. There are consequences. Kansas should pick up a game each year with a team in the Big 10 or even Arkansas. Turn it into an inter-conference rivalry. Mizzou lost their chance to keep the series alive.

kayjku 1 year, 3 months ago

Let them burn...I miss the basketball rivalry, but as BigBlue said, "the rivalry was fun, but missouri took away the fun. Now it's about business." It will never be personal again.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 3 months ago

I typically don't completely disagree with what I read in here, but the negativity turns me off completely regarding your dislike for the Big XII.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 3 months ago

Perhaps this is a statement by Pinkel that he is not entirely happy about his situation. I think he knew he was going into a situation where he might lose his job. Mizzu will try to upgrade their coach once they go 5-7 enough years. They were much better off here but couldn't see that. They are like the kid in high school who is a hanger-on to the popular kids, tolerated but always feeling left out. Hey, Mizzu, they got your tv markets so all Missouri can watch you get drubbed by Bama, Florida, LSU, S. Carolina, Auburn, and Arkansas every year. Helped their brands but not yours.

Travis Shinkle 1 year, 3 months ago

I have never understood why the media, especially the national media, think that Kansas City is a 50-50 Kansas/Missouri TV market. It's not; Kansas City is a KU town plain and simple. KU should never schedule Missouri in anything ever again...including the non-revenue/Olympic sports.