Originally published July 16, 2013 at 09:49p.m., updated July 17, 2013 at 12:20a.m.

Andrew Wiggins named Gatorade male high school athlete of the year

In a photo provided by Gatorade, Andrew Wiggins, right, and Morgan Andrews hold their trophies after being named the nation's top prep male and female athletes, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, in Los Angeles.

Kansas University freshman basketball player Andrew Wiggins was named 2013 Gatorade High School Male Athlete of the Year on Tuesday night at an awards ceremony at the West Hollywood (Calif.) Hotel.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-7 small forward from Thornhill, Ontario, averaged 23.4 points and 11.2 rebounds his senior year at Huntington (W.Va.) Prep High. The other male nominees were Trayvon Bromell (track and field), Max Browne (football), Edward Cheserek (cross country), Clint Frazier (baseball) and Cristian Roldan (soccer).

He received the silver trophy from Indiana Pacers All-Star Paul George, San Diego Chargers quarterback Phillip Rivers and Olympic medal-winning sprinter Bryshon Nellum.

“It feels pretty good to know I’m the first Canadian to get this, so it’s really big for my country,” Wiggins told USA Today. “I really wanted to win it. It’s just a blessing,” Wiggins added. “I kind of don’t realize at first it’s such a big deal. I think it will hit me more afterward.”

He’s expected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

“I don’t really pay attention to (high) expectations from other people,” Wiggins said. “I make goals for myself, my family and God.”

Past winners include current NBA standouts LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Kevin Love.

After the ceremony, Wiggins told the Associated Press his goal has been to play in the NBA “ever since I was on earth.”

First up is his year at KU where he said his goal is a national title.

“I think I can give the fans what we want,” he said.

Morgan Andrews, a soccer forward from Milford (N.H.) High School, was named Female Athlete of the Year. Andrews will play at Notre Dame after scoring 31 goals her senior season. Other finalists: Sarah Baxter (cross country), Lauren Carlini (volleyball), Carley Hoover (softball), Mercedes Russell (basketball) and Kendell Williams (track and field).

USA Today reports that Wiggins is the sixth boys basketball player to win Athlete of the Year honors in the 11-year history of the award. A McDonald’s All-American, Wiggins also won the 2013 Naismith Boys High School Player of the Year Award.

Wiggins and Andrews tonight will be honored at the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles.

McLemore scores 26: Former KU guard Ben McLemore scored 26 points off 8-of-14 shooting in the Sacramento Kings’ 81-70 loss to Toronto on Tuesday at the Las Vegas Summer League. McLemore hit eight of 14 shots, including three of six three-pointers. He was 7-of-7 from the line. He also had five turnovers against no assists with two rebounds in 31 minutes.

McLemore has been watching a lot of film since missing 19 of 23 shots in his summer league debut against Dallas.

“He’s athletic, and he’s such a great shooter, but he’s got to understand what’s a good shot and what’s a bad shot,” Kings coach Michael Malone told the Sacramento Bee. “But he’s got a gift. Shooting makes up for a multitude of sins, and he can put the ball in the hole. So we’re not going to mess with that at all.”

Of his shooting McLemore said: “I’ve just got to keep the same rotation, keep the same form. I can’t change it up and mess up my shot. I’ve just got to keep the same routine.”

More summer league: Former KU forward Thomas Robinson scored 12 points and grabbed 18 rebounds in Portland’s 80-78 loss to Chicago in Vegas. He hit four of nine shots in 29 minutes. ... Markieff and Marcus Morris scored four points apiece while playing limited minutes in the Phoenix Suns’ 100-88 victory over Memphis. ... Travis Releford scored two points off 1-of-2 shooting with two rebounds in 16 minutes in the Denver Nuggets’ 97-69 loss to Washington. ... Darnell Jackson had seven points (3-of-5 shooting and one of four free throws) and five rebounds in 15 minutes for the D-League Select team in its 82-75 victory over the Dallas Mavericks.

Recruiting: Myles Turner, a 6-11, 225-pound senior center from Trinity High in Euless, Texas, will visit KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog, Turner’s dad, David, told JayhawkSlant.com. Turner is Rivals.com’s No. 6-ranked player in the recruiting Class of 2014. ... Chase Jeter, a 6-9, 215-pound junior forward from Las Vegas’ Bishop Gorman High, who is ranked No. 33 in the Class of 2015, tells Rivals.com he is planning on making an unofficial visit to KU. He’s a teammate of Stephen Zimmerman, a 7-foot, 215-pound center, who is ranked No. 2 in the class of 2015.

Gooden cut: The Milwaukee Bucks used the league’s new amnesty clause on former KU forward Drew Gooden, the team announced Tuesday. Gooden, 31, will be paid the $13 million remaining on the five-year, $32 million deal he signed in 2010. Teams under the salary cap are now free to submit offers for Gooden. If no bids are made, he becomes a free agent.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

Light on details but I hope the awards continue to flow next season. Final Four MVP sounds good.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 1 month ago

When I first read this there was only one paragraph. Hate seeing Gooden cut..steady player..the 13 million payoff should help him get through this.

chriz 1 year, 1 month ago

I think as a KU fan, I should also get a little credit.

COHawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

So this Wiggins guy is supposed to be pretty good I hear...

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the recaps of the NBA summer league games. The recaps on NBA.com all have bad info. The Kings recap says BMac scored 26 pts off of 4-12 shooting with 5 free throws. The Blazers recap states that Robinson grabbed 18 boards today (correct), after setting a record of 22 rebounds the day before (it was someone else with last name of Thomas).

Dirk Medema 1 year, 1 month ago

And to think a few folks had written off Ben after 2 substandard shooting performances. Sort of the same for TRob, tho his debut was a bit longer. Both still have plenty of time and potential to be phenomenal players.

VegasHawk55 1 year, 1 month ago

18 rebounds?!?! Way to go T-Rob! Nice to see B-Mac found his shooting touch. He looked abysmal in his first summer league game.

I really hope Wiggins is all he's being billed to be. I can't take another Henry or Selby disappointment.

Tim Hill 1 year, 1 month ago

Is anyone really that surprised Andrew won that award? The kid is an award machine! I'm sure he will be receiving many more...let the year of Wiggins roll on, hopefully it ends with POY award after we win the award for being...you know...the best team in the land!

Michael Leiker 1 year, 1 month ago

Gatorade, it's in Andrew Wiggins, is it in you?

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Kansas Basketball looked mighty alluring last night. And the twins posted a fine show the night before.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 1 month ago

"I make goals for myself, my family and God."

First up is his year at KU where he said his goal is a national title.

“I think I can give the fans what we want,” he said.

Knowing what we now know about his head, heart and ability, I don't think he's being cocky in saying that. Lets start the season.

Oh, by the way, congratulations.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 1 month ago

I like how humble he is....more I see and read about him the more I like him.

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

Perhaps like Danny Manning in that respect. When Manning was Biggest Man On Campus, you would never know it. Very polite and pleasant always, a true gentleman.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 1 month ago

on a side note...did anyone else notice the coincidence of new ad surveys and Tom Keegan writting about 4 golf articles in the same week?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 1 month ago

So...six of the 11 winners have been basketball players. I guess that Gatorade knows where the money is. Too bad for the other athletes who excel in other sports - you are just not flashy enough.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 1 month ago

5 year, 32 million? Why would these kids ever want to play for that instead of FREE! Drew, you've done good-damn good!

Joel Beard 1 year, 1 month ago

Congrats to Andrew!

As for Ben, he's improving every game, which is great to see. The first game was a complete disaster, the second game wasn't much better except that he didn't take as many shots, and the third game was exactly what he needs to do. He still had shaky defense and ball-handling, but those flaws in his game don't matter as much when he's doing what he does best, which is making shots. In an interview after the game he said he had watched the film of his 4-23 game, and it's good to see his commitment to improving his game, learning from his mistakes, and figuring out how to be smarter about his shot selection. Just as one atrocious summer league game doesn't make him a bust, neither does one great summer league game make him a future all-star, but if he keeps improving I have high hopes for his future in the NBA.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 1 month ago

I'd love to see Gooden end up in OKC w/ Collison.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

I predict there are going to be a lot of wigs in Allen Fieldhouse this year.

KANSTUCKY 1 year, 1 month ago

Back to back Championships Andy? That's what we want. RCJH

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 1 month ago

Thanks for the link! I love this kid more and more each time I see him speak. What a class act!!! RCJH!!!

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Is KU recruiting Morgan Andrews for anything?

If not, why not?

Rock Chalk!!!

1 year, 1 month ago

Campus Aesthetics Enrichment Coordinator? :-)

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Not many faces could steal the focal point of a picture from Andrew.

But Morgan did.

And all I really care about is Andrew Wiggins.

Morgan Andrews needs to get an agent out in Hollywood.

She's got the windows, the high cheek bones, the smile, and the squarish face that are ante for movie work. She needs a test to see if it translates in motion.

KUFan90 1 year, 1 month ago

Hmm...sorry Jaybate but I think it's time for some new reading glasses. ; )

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone have an opinion on whether Wigs is going to get the toughening box this season?

I figure he has to get it, if he is going to be counted on as a starter all the way.

Xavier and Josh each got some box time. Not much, but some.

I think Andrew's dad and mom, being old athletes, would be let down if Andrew didn't get the toughening box, like all the rest of KU's players.

Who knows? Maybe even Andrew would feel let down.

There just is no way Perry and Jam Tray and Naa are going to be able to let this guy into the inner circle without at least a week in the box, maybe two.

Sooner or later, Self has to come out of a practice and say, "Hey, he's a player, no doubt about it, but he's got to learn how intense he has to play. I don't want him to get hurt when things get serious in conference."

Those are Self's magic words that turn the most confident player into a hand wringer, or a guy that wants to take a poke at Self. Andrew has surplus swag, but he is a Canadian, and so the rage of liberty is locked up in a couple layers of parliamentary monarchy. Self is going to be trying to release the rage of liberty that burns at the center of any free man, no matter how civilized a country he comes from. And Canada is most definitely more civilized than USA. Refusing the revolution assured the chain of that legacy of refined obedience back to Londinium was never broken.

Even Canadian hockey players, who are among the toughest athletes in the world, maintain some veneer that has to be stripped away by the hockey coaches.

jayhawk96 1 year, 1 month ago

Wonder how Missy Franklin didn't win the female award.

texashawk10 1 year, 1 month ago

Was she a HS senior this past year?