Monday, July 15, 2013

Attorney: WR Nick Harwell’s case still open

Former Miami of Ohio receiver Nick Harwell (8) shakes off the tackle of Middle Tennessee defender Rod Issac (6) in the first quarter of the GoDaddy.Com Bowl NCAA college football game at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011.

Monday marked the first day of the final session of summer classes at Miami (Ohio) University.

Kansas University transfer Nick Harwell was not enrolled at his former school, but that does not mean his bid for eligibility this fall is finished.

Don Jackson, an Alabama-based attorney who has been representing the wide receiver’s interests, told the Journal-World Monday night that Harwell’s case was ongoing and that he remained “cautiously optimistic” that a positive resolution could be reached soon.

Jackson said passage of the July 15 summer-school date, though key, did not signal the arrival of doomsday for his client, who is six hours shy of graduating from Miami. If Harwell is able to complete those six hours, he would be eligible to play at Kansas immediately because of the senior-transfer rule that brought Dayne Crist to KU from Notre Dame.

“It’s a hard deadline with the possibility of extension,” Jackson said. “He could enroll today, tomorrow, whatever, but he would have to do it with the permission of the instructor and the help from some of the athletic department’s academic staff.”

The extra measures are fairly standard for late enrollment at most universities.

“I get the impression that this is out of the hands of the athletic department,” Jackson said. “It may now be at the executive level of the president of the university.”

Heeney on Lombardi list

KU linebacker Ben Heeney came out of nowhere and finished third in the Big 12 in total tackles as a sophomore last season. He’s not going to sneak up on anybody this year.

Heeney on Monday was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award’s preseason watch list, making him the first Jayhawk to land on the preseason lists.

Heeney, a 6-foot, 227-pound junior from Hutchinson, finished 2012 with 112 tackles and led KU in tackles for loss with 12. He started every game at middle linebacker and earned second-team All-Big honors from the conference’s coaches, the Associated Press and Phil Steele Magazine.

Heading into 2013, Heeney is listed as a preseason first-team All-Big 12 linebacker by Athlon, Lindy’s and The Sporting News. Heeney also was named to the College Football Performance Awards watch list for the top linebacker in the NCAA.

Comments

Steve Corder 1 year, 2 months ago

Why is Harwell not enrolled for those last two classes? I don't get it! Someone please explain!

Micky Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

Miami is playing games because they're trying to force him to stay there, but he's said he won't stay there no matter what happens.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

Force him to stay? They want him gone--evidently very badly.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

It’s pretty clear they are trying to force him to stay. That’s why the attorney made it clear Harwell would be at KU regardless of Miami’s decision.

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

He can't graduate and then transfer until he completes those few classes there. They are holding him back so that if he transfers he will be forced to sit out a year. Apparently wanted him to do his last year of eligibility there.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

He was kicked off the team. He can't finish his eligibility. Thus, he has no choice but to transfer.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

Because the university won't let him. Hence the attorney.

actorman 1 year, 2 months ago

The thing I don't get about all this is why these things always have to take so damn long. I mean either Miami is going to let him do what he needs to do to graduate or they aren't. What the hell is it that takes so long to decide??? And if they are just playing games, wouldn't that be incredibly stupid on their part? I mean it can't look very good to recruits for a school to be basically saying, "Oh, so you're leaving us? Well to hell with you then."

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

He was expelled and is no longer a student there.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

He was suspended for the spring semester.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

If he was suspended for the spring semester, then what's the the hold up? The hold up is that he has been arrested five times and they don't want anything to do with him.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

If that was the case they would’ve dismissed him, a la Chris Martin.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

it looks like the University is trying to make a point but I have no clue to what the point is, other than it will not look good to recruits and players alike.

For what is worth, here is his twitter feed, you can draw your own conclusions.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

The point is that he is no longer a student there.

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

I absolutely love Ben Heeney. Not only is he an amazing, rough and tumble linebacker for my favorite university, but the guy is also willing to interact with his fans on social media. He's a great person with great potential and a perfect candidate for team captain this season. If I had to pick the captains now, it would be Heeney and either Sims or Heaps, with a slight lean towards Heaps.

On a side note, Perry Ellis also likes to interact with the fans on social media. Just last week he offered the remaining spots on his Xbox 360 friends list to anyone who wanted to play Call of Duty... Needless to say, I'm glad that I'm an un-employed bum.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

I think Heaps needs to be the other captain. The QB needs to be the leader, and being a captain makes you that much more accountable. When Jordan Webb was not named captain, I knew we were in trouble.

1 year, 2 months ago

It is hard not to love Heeney. When he is on the field, he gives 100% on every play, regardless of the score. He reminds me of some of the great linebackers from the Mangino era.

jhawkln 1 year, 2 months ago

Heeney rocks!! Why would you go play for miami oh after you see how they treat their players?

shelleysue 1 year, 2 months ago

I loved Heeney from the first moment I saw him play. Agreed. He gives 100%+ no matter the circumstances and He will take on anything. We are truly lucky to have him as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk!!

CrystalJones 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll never forget how he ran down Colin Klein last year to prevent a touchdown before halftime. I wish the rest of the game had gone as well as that play.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

So Miami is doing everything that it can to prohibit a player from completing his degree? Shouldn't the NCAA, who constantly punishes school's for putting academics behind athletics, step-in on the part of the student athlete in this case? Does the NCAA ever try and help a student? Or do they just run the most annoying advertisements on television explaining how great they are?

Listen, I am no Harwell apologist and I have no patience for young people who can't seem to find a way to simply do the right thing. But this thing has a bit of an "Alice in Wonderland" feel to it.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

...didn't he get a DUI a few months ago?

I mean I don't care personally, but I love how some people on this feed are dropping "what a role model!" comments.

1 year, 2 months ago

Try two years ago, Little Duke.

After your whiny comment on the “Painful reminders…” basketball article about how there isn’t any football news on LJW today, I might suggest refraining from posting in the future (at all, or at least) while you are still drunk.

gorilla10 1 year, 2 months ago

Does anyone kow the status of Jenkins Moore???

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't see this ending in Nick Harwell playing for KU in 2013. It's looking more likely that Harwell sits out 2013 per transfer rules and plays in 2014 which isn't necessarily a bad thing because 2014 is when KU should be ready to go bowling again. This year even with Harwell I don't see KU winning more than 5 games and realistically I think KU wins 3-4 games this year. Obviously I hope I'm wrong and KU exceeds my expectations, but when you have a senior class that the majority of them have only been in uniform for 6 wins at most, they have to learn how to win games before bowl games and beating KSU become realistic options. 2013 is about learning how to win so some of those close losses of 2011 and 2012 turn into close wins and then KU will be ready to challenge for a bowl game in 2014.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Learning how to win is pretty tough when you are only 1 of 11 guys on the field. But if everyone consistently beats their guy, or consistently does their job well, winning will come.

If the players are all capable of doing their job/beating their man, it won’t take a year of learning how to put up a “W" before we can rack up 6 and go bowling. Personally I think we have the pieces in place right now.

I do think we will be more capable in 2014, but just because that’s where the incoming talent, the coaching and conditioning are headed. But I don’t think you can put a lid on this team’s potential for a lack of past wins at KU.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Also agree on Harwell this year. It doesn’t look good. And as excited as I am to get a playmaker of his caliber off and running, I’d also rather have him next year. I’ll go 20/80 he doesn’t make it for ’13-’14.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

There is a possiblity that he could go pro this spring and leave KU leaving us without his services. If not I'm all for him sitting out and having McCay and Harwell here after he's in the program for a whole season. Making our 2014 receiving corps look pretty tough!

Robert Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

Six credit hours is a lot for a half of a summer session unless credit hours are different than when I went to school.

Matt Tait 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not certain (I'll look into it) but I believe it's just two classes. That's not hard to take care of in a four-week summer session. In fact, I always found that the summer sessions were easier because they had the same number of tests as a full semester but could only put like 5-7 days worth of material on each one.

Bottom line: If they let him enroll, he'll be fine. At this point, I see it as a 50-50 deal.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

We haven't faired well on these kids the last couple years. I guess you could say we had Crist but he was terrible at best. The TE and sorry I don't remember his name was descent (ND transfer). I guess the ones I'm thinking of are like McCay and he didn't get a hardship. Either way I'd rather have him learn the offense for an entire offseason and be ready to roll for 2014. How much could he help us if he isn't here yet? When would he arrive? Would the school take forever to post his grades like the McKinney situation last year? I don't have a good feeling.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

Matt,

This is just a suggestion but why isn't there a function that allows us to receive a notification via email/text if we get a reply to our comment? Just seems like that would be an easy thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

Well I figured it out. I didn't know those functions were there. Sorry for the confusion.

Hawks58 1 year, 2 months ago

For those that are not on twitter, Jake Heaps has said that there is great news coming to Jayhawk Nation, and hopefully soon! This could have something to do with Harwell...