Monday, July 15, 2013

Attorney: WR Nick Harwell’s case still open

Former Miami of Ohio receiver Nick Harwell (8) shakes off the tackle of Middle Tennessee defender Rod Issac (6) in the first quarter of the GoDaddy.Com Bowl NCAA college football game at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011.

Monday marked the first day of the final session of summer classes at Miami (Ohio) University.

Kansas University transfer Nick Harwell was not enrolled at his former school, but that does not mean his bid for eligibility this fall is finished.

Don Jackson, an Alabama-based attorney who has been representing the wide receiver’s interests, told the Journal-World Monday night that Harwell’s case was ongoing and that he remained “cautiously optimistic” that a positive resolution could be reached soon.

Jackson said passage of the July 15 summer-school date, though key, did not signal the arrival of doomsday for his client, who is six hours shy of graduating from Miami. If Harwell is able to complete those six hours, he would be eligible to play at Kansas immediately because of the senior-transfer rule that brought Dayne Crist to KU from Notre Dame.

“It’s a hard deadline with the possibility of extension,” Jackson said. “He could enroll today, tomorrow, whatever, but he would have to do it with the permission of the instructor and the help from some of the athletic department’s academic staff.”

The extra measures are fairly standard for late enrollment at most universities.

“I get the impression that this is out of the hands of the athletic department,” Jackson said. “It may now be at the executive level of the president of the university.”

Heeney on Lombardi list

KU linebacker Ben Heeney came out of nowhere and finished third in the Big 12 in total tackles as a sophomore last season. He’s not going to sneak up on anybody this year.

Heeney on Monday was named to the Rotary Lombardi Award’s preseason watch list, making him the first Jayhawk to land on the preseason lists.

Heeney, a 6-foot, 227-pound junior from Hutchinson, finished 2012 with 112 tackles and led KU in tackles for loss with 12. He started every game at middle linebacker and earned second-team All-Big honors from the conference’s coaches, the Associated Press and Phil Steele Magazine.

Heading into 2013, Heeney is listed as a preseason first-team All-Big 12 linebacker by Athlon, Lindy’s and The Sporting News. Heeney also was named to the College Football Performance Awards watch list for the top linebacker in the NCAA.

Comments

JHWKDW 9 months ago

This guy aint worth all this trouble. Lets move on!Did we not learn from the last guy who had some questionable behavior HCCW Really

Hawks58 9 months ago

For those that are not on twitter, Jake Heaps has said that there is great news coming to Jayhawk Nation, and hopefully soon! This could have something to do with Harwell...

Chris Bailey 9 months ago

Matt,

This is just a suggestion but why isn't there a function that allows us to receive a notification via email/text if we get a reply to our comment? Just seems like that would be an easy thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

Robert Brown 9 months ago

Six credit hours is a lot for a half of a summer session unless credit hours are different than when I went to school.

texashawk10 9 months ago

I don't see this ending in Nick Harwell playing for KU in 2013. It's looking more likely that Harwell sits out 2013 per transfer rules and plays in 2014 which isn't necessarily a bad thing because 2014 is when KU should be ready to go bowling again. This year even with Harwell I don't see KU winning more than 5 games and realistically I think KU wins 3-4 games this year. Obviously I hope I'm wrong and KU exceeds my expectations, but when you have a senior class that the majority of them have only been in uniform for 6 wins at most, they have to learn how to win games before bowl games and beating KSU become realistic options. 2013 is about learning how to win so some of those close losses of 2011 and 2012 turn into close wins and then KU will be ready to challenge for a bowl game in 2014.

gorilla10 9 months ago

Does anyone kow the status of Jenkins Moore???

Reuben_J_Cogburn 9 months ago

...didn't he get a DUI a few months ago?

I mean I don't care personally, but I love how some people on this feed are dropping "what a role model!" comments.

Brett McCabe 9 months ago

So Miami is doing everything that it can to prohibit a player from completing his degree? Shouldn't the NCAA, who constantly punishes school's for putting academics behind athletics, step-in on the part of the student athlete in this case? Does the NCAA ever try and help a student? Or do they just run the most annoying advertisements on television explaining how great they are?

Listen, I am no Harwell apologist and I have no patience for young people who can't seem to find a way to simply do the right thing. But this thing has a bit of an "Alice in Wonderland" feel to it.

shelleysue 9 months ago

I loved Heeney from the first moment I saw him play. Agreed. He gives 100%+ no matter the circumstances and He will take on anything. We are truly lucky to have him as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk!!

jhawkln 9 months ago

Heeney rocks!! Why would you go play for miami oh after you see how they treat their players?

9 months ago

It is hard not to love Heeney. When he is on the field, he gives 100% on every play, regardless of the score. He reminds me of some of the great linebackers from the Mangino era.

David Leathers 9 months ago

I absolutely love Ben Heeney. Not only is he an amazing, rough and tumble linebacker for my favorite university, but the guy is also willing to interact with his fans on social media. He's a great person with great potential and a perfect candidate for team captain this season. If I had to pick the captains now, it would be Heeney and either Sims or Heaps, with a slight lean towards Heaps.

On a side note, Perry Ellis also likes to interact with the fans on social media. Just last week he offered the remaining spots on his Xbox 360 friends list to anyone who wanted to play Call of Duty... Needless to say, I'm glad that I'm an un-employed bum.

Steve Corder 9 months ago

Why is Harwell not enrolled for those last two classes? I don't get it! Someone please explain!