Thursday, July 11, 2013

Lakers give Josh Selby a shot

Kansas guard Josh Selby pounds his chest after hitting a three-pointer against Texas A&M during the first half on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University basketball combo guard Josh Selby will play for the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2013 Las Vegas Summer League, Friday through July 22.

The 6-foot-2 Selby was co-MVP (with Portland’s Damian Lillard) in Vegas last summer as a member of the Memphis Grizzlies. His performance didn’t translate to success during the NBA regular season. He played sparingly in 10 games for Memphis before being traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers, where he was cut without playing in a game.

Selby, a second-round pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, did average 17 points a game for three NBADL teams in 2012-13.

“We have a pretty good group of guys,” Selby told ESPN Los Angeles, referring to a Lakers roster that includes Chris Douglas-Roberts and Robert Sacre. “We have a great coaching staff (led by Laker assistant Dan D’Antoni) that’s willing to teach you the game. I think this is an opportunity for me to showcase my talents and better myself.”

Selby has spent the offseason working on his game and also donating to charity. The 22-year-old Baltimore native recently hosted the “Walk-Away Campaign at Margaret Brent Elementary-Middle,” which has a goal of stopping youth violence in his hometown.

“I try to give them (youths) a story about how my past was, because they think that people in the NBA always had a good life,” Selby told the Baltimore Sun. “It isn’t like that for some guys. I tell them to always try to work hard, stay humble, stay out of trouble.”

Selby has also collected 250 blankets for the homeless, donated 200 shoes to needy children and provided food for Thanksgiving meals to families.

One of Selby’s former NBADL coaches — Alex Jensen, of Canton Ohio — told the Sun that “the potential (for Selby) is definitely there. It’s hard, I think, for a kid to leave college early (after one season). College is a much better time for a kid to improve and concentrate on a certain skill set. It’s just a matter of honing in and having game minutes.

“A lot of times in the NBA, you have to fit in with a handful of superstars, and you have to find your niche,” Jensen added of Selby, who averaged 2.2 points and 0.9 assists in 38 career games with Memphis. “Find those skills that make you fit. He has the skills, but he has to find out what those are.”

Henry a free agent: The NBA’s New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday renounced their rights to former KU guard Xavier Henry. Henry, 22, who was selected 12th overall by Memphis in the 2010 NBA Draft, averaged 3.9 points in 50 games for New Orleans last season. He’s free to sign with any team or head overseas to continue his career.

Robinson trade in books: The Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday officially announced the acquisition of former KU forward Thomas Robinson from the Houston Rockets for the NBA rights to Kostas Papnikolaou and Marko Todorovic plus two future second round draft picks.

Robinson, 22, averaged 4.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 15.1 minutes in 70 games with Sacramento (51 games) and Houston (19 games) his rookie season.

“Thomas is a dynamic young big man with tremendous upside,” Blazers’ general manager Neil Olshey said of the No. 5 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft. “He is an elite athlete and brings a unique set of physical tools to our roster. He has the potential to be one of the best young power forwards in the league and his development will be a priority for us.”

Adams in Ohio: Former KU guard Anrio Adams, who recently announced plans to transfer to Ohio University, spoke with the Athens Messenger about his decision to become a Bobcat and his one year at KU.

Adams, who had been recruited by Ohio coach Jim Christian when Christian was an assistant at TCU, has an uncle who knows Christian.

Seattle native Adams also has family on his mother’s side living in Youngstown, Ohio.

“(Christian) told me to take my time with it and see all my options. And that I had a home here if I wanted to get better as a student and an athlete,” Adams told the Messenger. “That kind of stuck with me. I came down here for a visit, saw a lot of the film and met a couple of the guys. I loved it.”

Adams will sit out next season and will have three years of eligibility remaining starting in 2014-15.

“This program (Ohio) is big in one sense, but small in being able to focus on that individual person. I just feel more comfortable with the coaches here and the coaches know a little bit more about me than they did when I was at Kansas. That’s the big difference,” Adams said. “I know I’m going to get better here, that and the fact that I had a group of men who really wanted to make me better as a person.”

Adams voiced complaints about playing time last year on social media Facebook and Twitter.

“At the end of the day, there’s really not much more to say. It’s kind of show, then tell,” he said of being mature enough to sit out a season. “I’m definitely working and working harder than before. I can handle it. That’s all that has to be said.”

Taylor scores 10: Former KU guard Tyshawn Taylor had 10 points off 5-of-13 shooting with six turnovers and three assists in the Brooklyn Nets’ 98-69 loss to Utah on Wednesday in the Orlando Pro Summer League.

Comments

chriz 1 year, 2 months ago

Would LOVE to see Selby do well with the Lakers!

Rio, please stop whining about how KU didn't love you enough. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of playing time with the Bobcats.

Tyshawn, please go to the rim. While you're young. Go to the rim.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Jaydogger,

Sorry but I missed this take of yours. I above all appreciate the notion that some things need saying, but always remember that the community needs you and I would prefer some measured Jaydogger rather than none at all.

Rock Chalk!

kay_you 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe another year in college would have been a good idea.

AndOne 1 year, 2 months ago

Selby could fit with the Lakers.

doolindalton 1 year, 2 months ago

Another year or two would have been a good idea for Henry, Wright and BMac as well. But I can't blame them for taking the money.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 2 months ago

Best part of this article is the quote by the Trailblazers GM stating that Robinsons development is a priority for them. It really ticked me off how little interest both Sacramento and Houston showed in him.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

yeah I know, right!? The guy is an absolute beast. Dunking over D12, who can do that? Thats right, T Rob. What the Trailblazers GM said sounds very promising to me. He deserves his shot in the right system. Go big fella! Yep, Selby shoulda stayed atleast one more year at KU. X should have too. Both would do better over seas but I hope they can find their niche with the big boys. KU represent!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Agree w/all these comments..esp that Selby and X should have stayed another year.

The NCAA, injuries and expectations undermined Selby's first year. One full sophomore season and Selby could've been a lottery pick.

TRob will make some GMs look pretty stupid next season. He never backs down and he never quits.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

Selby, Henry, Aldrich...am I missing any? All guys who left college early and are now free agents who may not end up in the league next year. Not to mention Julian Wright, whose NBA ship seems to have sailed. Sucks.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 2 months ago

Aldrich didn't improve much from his sophmore to junior season. I don't think he would have increased his stock by staying another year. Besides, he finished his degree which is very commendable.

Regarding Julian Wright, I disagree that it sucks he left early. It sucks for him maybe, but the next year couldn't have gone any better for KU, don't you agree?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Not disagreeing just to be disagreeable, but sometimes staying in college in not just about improving their stock. Sometimes it's about growing up - physically, mentally, emotionally. Learning the actual game of basketball and learning some social skills. Almost every single kid who leaves college early for the big bucks could improve themselves by staying in college. They may not improve their draft status or their immediate financial situation, but they would improve who they are.

Marc Frey 1 year, 2 months ago

I know it is easy to chase the $$$$. But I agree that a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year with Self, and at the time Manning, would have been better for many players. Although the NCAA is not the NBA but 28-36 minutes of NCAA is better in developing than a 10a shoot around and a minute or two in the game, if not a DNP.

ku_foaf 1 year, 2 months ago

There are plenty of cases of young men getting a lot of money suddenly and ruining their lives, true. Still, these opportunities can be fleeting. A blown out knee or car accident can end things before they ever get started. I have a hard time convincing myself I would take that risk if I were in their shoes. As fans, we want them to stay, which is in OUR best interests. Some would certainly leave as better players if they stayed four years. You would think keeping a millions/year job would be the biggest incentive of all to improve.

Bryce Landon 1 year, 2 months ago

Not only did he not improve, he regressed. He should never have left after 2010.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 2 months ago

You're overlooking the obvious... it's HARD to play in the NBA! The average draft includes two all-stars, a few starters, and a handful of role players.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

Very good point, but all the more reason a kid needs to be at their peak before leaving, to maximize their chances of sticking. I think your point actually helps Hawkoverseas make his argument.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

Selby is the most frustrating early exiter to me. There is no question he had the offensive ability to play in the NBA, but he was a terrible defender, and another year or two would have really helped him in that respect. Because of the NCAA suspension, and then the injury, he hardly got any practice time, then he was gone. His decision was incredibly short sighted. It is tough for me to be critical of kids who grow up poor wanting to leave early, but in Selby's case everyone seemed to understand it was a huge mistake except him. I have a hard time being judgmental of any other player who left KU early to pursue their dream, but Josh is the one exception. It was just a poor decision. Still, he'll always be a Jayhawk, and I'm rooting for him to be successful.

Henry is the second most frustrating, but at least it looked like he had a legitimate chance for a decent NBA career at the time he left. But there is no question, another year would have helped him significantly, as well.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

He never really had a chance to develop any defensive skills this first year. He should have known that if for no other reason than to prove he could play Division I on a top-tier team, he needed to stay for his sophomore season. I'm not surprised that no GM was willing to risk a first round draft pick for an unproven player.

And I agree Ralster, he is a good kid. I would love to see him in an NBA uniform.

As far as Xavier, I think he just did enough to secure a first-round pick.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

All millionaires. Sucks. ; )

Don’t know how they are gonna make it in life.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 2 months ago

My guess is most will die poor or broke!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 2 months ago

Fast money, false friends and greedy family is never a good situation. If all you get is your first two years guaranteed and then let go, I'm not surprised the majority of these kids end up broke.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Had Brady stayed two, perhaps three more years he easily would have made the Big 12 3-Point record. Hands down.

duanep5ku 1 year, 2 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor has been driving to the lane a lot in the Summer league. That is also one of the main reasons for all the turnover's. TT looked good the previous game with 25 pts, but credit most of his Summer league, turnovers to him driving into the lane all the time. Tyshawn should be safe and make the team,hopefully. I still wan't the best for the other players listed Selby,Henry and I'm looking forward to Thomas Robinson playing this year, I'm hoping for the best for all of them.

Ted Hume 1 year, 2 months ago

it seems like he's been averaging a 2-1 or 3-1 turnover to assist ration now for the summer. I wonder if it doesn't mean quite as much in summer league play, when a bunch of guys are thrown in to play together with no history or chemistry? TO's should be artificially high in that kind of setting, I suppose, but it still jumps out as a big concern for a guy trying to prove he's your trusted PG. Anyone watching have a feel for just how bad the TO's look in those games? (i.e., not always his bad). If he's driving and kincking to guys who aren't in position, I could see this being unfortunate for him in those 6TOs and 2assists-type stat sheets.

KULA 1 year, 2 months ago

Good luck Josh! Make me a Laker fan!

trustyourSelf 1 year, 2 months ago

Nothing can make me a Laker fan. Just like Mario doesn't make me a Heat fan.

archercc 1 year, 2 months ago

Its hard, that is for sure. I would have preferred if there was a universe where Mario could have gotten a ring without the Heat winning.

Todd 1 year, 2 months ago

It won't deter anyone, but to me the stories of Selby and Henry are kind of sad. I wish more guys would see their outcome and think "maybe I should stay in school a little longer" But that's a fan's pipe dream at this point.

dylans 1 year, 2 months ago

I wish being drafted and not cutting it was the worst part of my day.

Ted Hume 1 year, 2 months ago

No kidding. Josh had made more money that I have in 20+ years of working after years of college and multiple degrees. Don't feel remotely sad for him in any way, shape or form.

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

They all have to get use to the fact that they are not the number one or number two option on their teams. This can be earned over time. Know your role and accept your role early on in your career to get your foot in the door. When given the opportunity, show them what you got and hopefully, earn a second contract. The NBA is a business that can chew you up and spit you out. Be patient, likable, and play the corporate game, because millions of dollars are at stake. Forget about the press clippings from college and remember, that the guys you are playing against are trying to eat too!

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

I like the opportunity for Selby. Nash might be hurt a lot. By the time Kobe comes back maybe with Kobe bringing the ball down the court sometimes it'll take the pressure off of a younger pg like Selby.

Rio won't have much pt this year...those are going to be some interesting tweets.

I wonder which teams need a 2, hopefully Xavier looks for a need rather than the team that will pay the most, don't know if he will have options.

So ljw did withey's trade finalize?

Jeffery Stadler 1 year, 2 months ago

Selby, Henry and Wright are the 3 players that have left early in the few years that I felt should have stayed. The rest of the players that left early made sense. I blame the NBA and its promises of quick riches. If you are not a solid lottery pick STAY IN SCHOOL especially at a player making factory like Kansas. And Rio you will wish you were more quiet and not so eager for greener pastures.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 2 months ago

Selby is not and was never an NBA talent... he was a high school phenom. So, in fact, he left at the exact right time. Need proof, just check his bank account!

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

jjjjjhok,

You obviously have not watched Selby play. He definitely has NBA talent but unfortunately he landed on teams that did not need a guard. I would not at all be surprised to see him make the Lakers roster.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 2 months ago

That says a lot about Selby as a person, trying to help others despite being without a job. I wish him a lot of luck in his future.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

NEO-WESTERN UNION iTELEGRAM

PART 1

FROM jAYBATE

TO: CBERNIE, SHAYZENG, CSELF

CC: CHANCELLORS, ADS, AND HCS AT ALL TOP 20 NCAA D1 HOOPS PROGRAMS

DATE: FLIPPING TODAY

TIME: FLIPPING NOW!

KU AND ALL THE OTHER ELITE SCHOOLS NEED TO START A GRADUATE LEVEL INTERCOLLEGIATE BASKETBALL PROGRAM. STOP. IT NEEDS TO BE COMPOSED OF ALL THE FORMER KU D1 PLAYERS (AND FORMER PLAYERS OF OTHER TOP PROGRAMS) NOW WASTING THEIR TIME IN D-LEAGUES, OR OTHERWISE SCRAMBLING FOR DOMESTIC UNEMPLOYMENT, BECAUSE OF THE INSIGHT (OR LACK THEREOF) OF NBA GENERAL MANAGERS AND BECAUSE OF THE ABSURD UNDERSUPPLY OF PROFESSIONAL FRANCHISES IN THE USA. STOP. THIS LEAGUE WOULD BE AN INSTANT MONEY MAKER WITH AN INSTANT AUDIENCE, INSTANT GATE, AND INSTANT TELEVISION MARKET SHARE. STOP. EACH PLAYER WOULD PURSUE A MASTERS DEGREE IN A CURRICULUM RELATED TO A SPORTS PROFESSION (E.G., SPORTS ADMINISTRATION, SPORTS LAW, SPORTS AGENCY, HIGH SCHOOL TEACHING/COACHING, SOCIAL WORK, ETC.) STOP. EACH SCHOOL WOULD ESTABLISH A SPORTS INSTITUTE FOR WHICH RESEARCH GRANTS AND DONATIONS WOULD BE "DEVELOPED." STOP. DEVELOPED IS THE MAGIC WORD THAT MAKES CHANCELLORS DROOL. STOP. THERE WOULD BE INCREASINGLY FAT TELEVISION CONTRACTS. STOP. TELEVISION CONTRACTS MAKE CHANCELLORS, ADS AND HEAD COACHES DROOL. STOP. THE PROGRAM WOULD BE SELF-FUNDING AND GENERATE A HUGE, REPEAT HUGE, NOT-FOR-PROFIT "SURPLUS" FOR THE 501.C3 INCORPORATED SPORTS INSTITUTE. STOP. THIS HUGE SURPLUS COULD BE DISTRIBUTED ANNUALLY AS A COMBINATION OF STAFF AND PLAYER SALARIES, SO THAT THE SURPLUS SIZE WOULD NOT EXCEED LEGAL LIMITS. STOP. THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE AT MOST NOT-FOR-PROFIT CORPORATIONS/INSTITUTES. STOP.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

PART 2 iTELEGRAM CONTINUED

THIS SPORTS INSTITUTE WOULD IN EFFECT BE A JOINT VENTURE WITH A MAJOR SHOE COMPANY, OR WITH ANY OTHER FOR PROFIT CORPORATION, OR ANY PRIVATE OLIGARCH SEEKING TO ACQUIRE INFLUENCE IN THE UNIVERSITY AND STATE POLITICAL ECONOMY VIA THE BACKDOOR OF UNIVERSITY ATHLETICS. STOP. THIS IS A WIN/WIN DEAL, IF UNDERTAKEN BY THE TOP 20 D1 BASKETBALL PROGRAMS. STOP. THIS PROGRAM COULD ALSO BE A DEVELOPMENT GROUND FOR KU PLAYERS THAT JUMP AFTER THEIR FIRST SEASON AND THEN FAIL TO MAKE THE NBA, BECAUSE OF LACK OF DEVELOPMENT. THE PLAYERS COULD RETURN TO KU AT A GRADUATE LEVEL AND PLAY IN AN ENVIRONMENT THAT DEVELOPED THEM ON THE FLOOR AND IN THE CLASSROOM, SO THAT THEY EITHER COULD BECOME NBA GRADE PROSPECTS AGAIN, OR GRADUATE WITH MASTER'S DEGREES IN FIELDS WHERE THEIR SPORTS BACKGROUND COULD MAKE THE USEFUL NEW EMPLOYEES FOR FUTURE EMPLOYERS RANGING FROM THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR. STOP. EVEN THE NBA WOULD BENEFIT. STOP. BUT DON'T GIVE THE NBA A CUT OF THE ACTION. STOP. JUST DEVELOP PLAYERS FOR THEM. STOP. AND IF THEY WON'T ACCEPT THE PLAYERS, THEN THE NEXT INCREMENTAL STEP WILL BE FOR A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE TO BE FORMED TO ACCEPT THESE PLAYERS THAT HAVE COMPLETED THEIR MASTER'S DEGREES. STOP. THE PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE WOULD MOST LIKELY BE LOCATED IN THE CITIES OF THESE SCHOOLS, AND PLAY IN THEIR VENUES, BUT BE UNAFFILIATED IN A BUSINESS SENSE OTHERWISE. STOP. THEY WOULD BE INDEPENDENT, PRIVATELY-OWNED PROFESSIONAL SPORTS FRANCHISES EMPLOYING THE ATHLETES PRODUCED BY THE GRADUATE BASKETBALL PROGRAM, ALSO FROM FORMER NBA PLAYERS THAT ARE FORCED OUT BEFORE THEY ARE READY TO RETIRE, AND ALSO FROM ATHLETES FROM OUTSIDE THE USA. STOP. DO IT NOW, WHILE WE HAVE THIS GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY. STOP. THE PROFESSIONAL TEAMS WOULD PAY RENT FOR THE USE OF THE UNIVERSITY ARENA, OF COURSE, PLUS A CUT OF THE CONCESSIONS, AND SO ON. STOP. ROCK CHALK! STOP.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

POST SCRIPT: THE TOP 20 PROGRAMS SHOULD PROBABLY FORM THREE SEPARATE CONFERENCES FROM THE START, SO AS TO TIE INTO THE STRATEGIC CONTEXT OF THE POLITICAL ECONOMY THE MOST EFFECTIVELY. STOP. DOING THIS WOULD BASICALLY BE PRE-EMPTIVELY TAKING THE FORM OF A PRODUCER OLIGOPOLY, WHICH IS A REGIME STRUCTURE THAT WOULD BE STRONGLY PROTECTED BY THE CURRENT COURTS AGAINST LEGAL CHALLENGES, WHILE ALSO BEING BASED ON THE LEGAL-POLITICAL LEGACY OF D1 CONFERENCES. STOP. NEXT. STOP. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

POST POST SCRIPT: THE IDEA OF THIS PROPOSAL IS TO "DEVELOP" PLAYERS AND CONTINUE THE EDUCATIONS OF THESE STUDENT-ATHLETES AND IN THE PROCESS REMEDY THE ISSUES WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM THAT SHORTSIGHTEDLY INCENTIVIZES YOUNG PLAYERS TO JUMP AFTER A YEAR, OR TWO, INTO A SINK OR SWIM ENVIRONMENT IN THE NBA, WHERE MANY ARE SINKING AND WOULD BENEFIT GREATLY BOTH FROM FURTHER DEVELOPMENT AS BASKETBALL PLAYERS, AND FROM MORE COLLEGE EDUCATION AS HUMAN BEINGS. STOP. THIS PROPOSED SOLUTION WOULD NEITHER FORCE THE NBA TO STOP WHAT IT IS DOING, NOR WOULD IT FORCE PLAYERS TO GIVE UP THE HUGE PAYCHECKS BEING OFFERED BY THE NBA. STOP. NOT INFRINGING ON THE FREEDOMS OF EITHER THE NBA, OR THE PLAYERS IS A PARAMOUNT VIRTUE OF THIS PROPOSAL. THE NBA IS SATISFIED WITH THIS SYSTEM FOR OBVIOUS REASONS. BUT THE UNIVERSITIES ARE NOT. AND NEITHER PROBABLY ARE THE PLAYERS THAT ARE NOT SUFFICIENTLY DEVELOPED TO MAKE IT IN THE NBA, BUT HAVE LITTLE RATIONAL CHOICE NOT TO TRY, GIVEN THE SCALE OF INCENTIVES, AND INJURY RISKS OF WAITING. STOP. ANOTHER POSSIBLE STRATEGIC BENEFIT OF APPROACHING THE ISSUE AS I HAVE, WOULD BE CREATE A DIFFERENT REGULATORY BODY THAN THE NCAA TO OVERSEA THE GRADUATE LEVEL BASKETBALL PROGRAM. STOP. THE NCAA COULD STAY INTACT AT THE HEAD OF D1 UNDERGRADUATE BASKETBALL, AND A NEW "UNIVERSITY GRADUATE BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION (UGBA)" COULD BE FORMED. STOP. DOING THIS PROPERLY WOULD HOPEFULLY DILUTE THE NCAA'S CURRENT MONOPOLY POSITION IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL WITHOUT CURTAILING EVEN A LITTLE ITS CURRENT ROLE AND BUSINESS MODEL. STOP.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

I am far from having a business degree of any kind but this makes perfect sense to me. Jaybate, Patent that idea, you'll be filthy rich. Down right dirty.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Lulu,

If it were up to me it would already be in motion.

This puppy is soooooooooo feasible.

IMHO, while any number of actors might fear this proposal, only the NCAA is in a position to really act as a road block.

Why isn't it happening?

We can see why the NBA is initiating.

But why are the D1 schools leaving sooooooooo much change on the table by not starting this new level of graduate level education with basketball eligibility?

Because...all the really onerous costs of the current system are being born by the players, who are the only participants that are unorganized. So: it continues because it can continue and those suffering the most from it cannot put up credible resistance. Everyone else is in an oligopoly, a cartel, or an "association." ShoeCo Execs, Network execs, NBA execs, NCAA execs, Conference Execs, ADs, HCs, they are all cutting a massively fat hog, so they are taking the safe stand. Do nothing. Their inaction is basically shouting, "If it isn't hurting me, then change is for suckers and I stick my neck out for no one."

But if we can both see the feasibility of this, then its probably there alright.

dynamitehawk 1 year, 2 months ago

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Hey, if its against the rules to post about how much you hate the surveys, it should be against the rules to post passive-aggressively without much on the ball. Nothing personal, Mr Overseize. ;-)

Seriously, I thought everyone understood its always okay to write about anything related to basketball on any thread without the small mind police trying to redirect with this sort of argument you threw out. :-)

Sing along with me, Mr Overseize to the tune of "Give Me that Old Time Religion"...

"Give me that old time redirection

Give me that old time redirection

Give me that old time redirection

Well, its good enough for me"

Yeeeeee Haawwwwww!

I love summer time.

tampajhawk1 1 year, 2 months ago

ya kno, you can scroll past it if ya want...

jus' sayin.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

I like how you type like you speak.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

KG, that response cracked me up. :-)

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

If every player that ever wore a KU uniform would have spent four years working on their game, going to school and graduating and then went to the pros, I have a feeling that a lot more of them would have developed into All-stars, or at least solid NBA players instead of floundering around in the D-leagues and overseas.

ccarp 1 year, 2 months ago

And would have won NCAA championships

bennybob 1 year, 2 months ago

Another A/TO ratio well below 1 for Tyshawn. Landing that roster spot witht he nets is not looking so good

ljmhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

it's summer league...have u watched the games?? I've watched them and it's basically "no blood, no foul"

Sean O'Daniel 1 year, 2 months ago

It's obvious that he hasnt watched the games...or followed the NBA...otherwise he would know Tyshawn already has a contract...and is in the running to be the Nets backup pg next year.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 2 months ago

We all knew Xavier was one and done, in the end we recall the headache of his recruitment more than his time here. I really wanted Josh to stay one more year because he seemed talented, but raw. Wright was very athletic here with a limited offensive game so his leaving early was a big surprise. I'm ok with Ben leaving because he's been here two years to develop his game and should be sussesful. It's a crap shoot, but we know Wiggins is one and done. At this point no one else should leave early, but lets see how the season plays out. I know we are wondering about Selden, Embiid and Ellis, especially according to draft experts, but for now lets enjoy the season and let the chips fall where they may. I just want guys to go pro when they have the best chance to be truly successful.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

What is a draft expert? When Noel and Bmac fall all the way to 6 and 7, there is nothing that is certain.

Also, Im not ready to say Wiggins is a one-and-done. I say he falls in love with one of the Gonzales twins and stays in Lawrence so they can be together for 2-3 years....wishfull thinking, but I can dream

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

What's the latest on Aldrich. Thought I heard he was a Free Agent. Would be funny if Portland signed him after shipping off Withey via' trade.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 2 months ago

Good he's going to a team that needs a PG, good luck Josh.

Ryan Zimmerman 1 year, 2 months ago

I care about as much about a Rio Adams update as I do about an Amanda Bynes update

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

I fear I will never understand the way NBA talent evaluators work.

Selby shouldn't have left early. That much is clear. However, I don't understand how you have a talented young (and cheap) player on your roster who just finished being MVP of the summer league and only play him in 10 games of sparing minutes before shipping his relatively small (by NBA standards) contract off as part of a trade so that the team you're trading with can waive the contract altogether.

It's funny, because Memphis sure could have used someone who could shoot from the outside in their playoff series against San Antonio. I mean, their PG/SG list consisted of Mike Conley, Tony Allen and Jerryd Bayless, none of whom could shoot a lick from the outside. Bayless was the closest to being respectable with a three-point shooting percentage of 30.5%

Selby hasn't really gotten his outside shot going in the NBA, but playing an average of 7.8 minutes per game in 38 games over TWO seasons probably doesn't provide much opportunity to find a rhythm and establish a role within his team. In college, he shot from deep at a respectable 36%.

We'll see how he fits with the Lakers, but make no mistake--he is entering a situation where he will have to prove he deserves playing time, since they have 4 PGs on the roster, including two (Steve Nash and Steve Blake) that played pretty heavy minutes last year. Perhaps the Lakers are looking at him as a combo guard that will play minutes at the SG slot.

AverageCitizen 1 year, 2 months ago

Cleveland - I sort of have this ESP notion that Wiggins may stay another year also. This is bolstered by the fact that he seems to take relationships VERY SERIOUSLY. He was very appreciative and attached to his high school. He mentions all the love he gets from Lawrence folks and definitely was his own man when it came to choosing a college. He doesn't seem to be the typical OAD kid who has stars in his eyes and is rushing headlong to the NBA ASAP - even though that is where he wants to end up. When asked last year what he wanted people to know about him he said "That I'm only 17". Now why would he say that? Could it be others are trying to make him grow up too fast and he recognizes it? His parents are Florida State graduates/alum and know the good things that come with college. I'm not going to hold my breath for Wiggins to stay but since he's a horse of another color I wouldn't be surprised either.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

I'll give you 500-1 odds that he leaves after one season. Not even joking. This bet is open to anyone who thinks there's a chance he'll stay. Message me. Put down a buck to win 500.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Were you among those that gave KU slim, or no, chance to sign AWigs?

:-)

tampajhawk1 1 year, 2 months ago

i'll be the first to take that...

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Best of luck to Josh. Man, I wish he had stayed in our program another year. He was in way too much of a rush, even before he signed on with the Jayhawks. When healthy he provided us some exciting moments, helping to lock up a couple of wins which probably were headed for the L column. His entire hoops life might best illustrate what is wrong with professional hoops in this country. IMHO, it is time for him to leap to Europe to hone his skills. The NBA pine is draining his potential during some very important formative years.

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 2 months ago

I've been watching some summer games and they dont call fouls. It's absurd. The game is incredibly fast and the coaching staff is watching for specific things the players are doing right and wrong, not so much stats. I think the style of play certainly doesnt help a point guard trying to limit turnovers. If Tyshawn was told by the coaching staff he needs to do a better job getting at the rim and scoring he's doing a great job. Jason Kidd was one of the best and he knows what he's looking for. He might be impressed with Tyshawn for specific reasons, or might not be. But because of the frenetic pace and style I think the TO/A might be blown out of proportion.

Andrew Horigan 1 year, 2 months ago

actually they call fouls but dont stop the game.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Today's Short Post by jaybate"

(Note: given as a public service to those that want a short jaybate post to scroll past.)

:-)

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

That's more like it ;)

Btw, what's the logic behind calling me overseize? What have I seized? Just wondering. I was only trying to be respectful, I assumed Jay was your first name.

Fiction, no malice,

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

You didn't answer my question. I'm seriously wondering where you came up with my witty nickname :)

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

You didn't require me to. :-)

wrwlumpy 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry, I know this article is about the future, but the near future has KU's non conference schedule looking like we could play 9 tournament teams before the Conference starts. Seems like the cheapest way to get a tickets is to take a 5 day vacation to the Bahamas or pay more to get a seat at the Pittsburg State game.

Jaybate, PHOF has always been your shortest post.

Preston Dwiggins 1 year, 2 months ago

Who is this Selby they speak of...?

We need a decent splash in the NBA from McLemore and a tidal wave when Wiggins hits the NBA. All these guys (Selby, Henry, Wright etc) leave early and bouncing around the NBA and D Leagues isn't favorable in my opinion. Just say'n. It's time for someone else to take the torch from Pierce (Chalmers is doing a nice job).

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Those players who were our OAD's, Henry and Selby I barely think of as Jayhawks. They presided over disappointing tourneys, seemingly leaving school the minute they could and have washed out. They'll not amount to anything basketball wise. Now, had they decided to stay in school, they'd have a degree and some wonderful basketball memories of their times at KU, and maybe a championship.

Here's hoping this young team we have realizes the value of delayed gratification.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

If you barely think of Henry and Selby as Jayhawks, then I barely think of you as a Jayhawk fan. Yeah hindsight says they should have stayed in school (but that doesn't mean they'd have a degree. No way they'd have stayed THAT long). But guess what? Their names are on the wall in the long hallway in the fieldhouse. They're as much Jayhawks as anyone else.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

OK, I'm barely a Jayhawk fan. I'm glad you are the true judge of who Jayhawk fans are though. Is there an application process I can go through to make myself a true Jayhawk fan?

Selby and Henry were just using us and delivered nothing of substance in return, that's why I made the statement I made.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Is there an application process I can make to you to be included in the true Jayhawk fan club? Are Jayhawk fans allowed to have negative opinions of particular players past or present without being excluded from the Jayhawk fan club?

Selby and Henry used us without any tangible results for one year. That's why I wrote what I wrote.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Is there an application process to make to join the Jayhawk fan club that you are a monitor of? Are negative opinions allowed? Apparently not.

Henry and Selby used us for one year without any tangible results. That's why I wrote what I wrote.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Sorry for the triple post, it seemingly didn't accept my post, so I went back and rewrote it, slightly different each time.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 2 months ago

Gasol, Bryant, Howard.........Selby?

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Josh can score. Now we can view precisely what else the NBA has taught him to do.