Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Self, staff turn attention to July recruiting period

Kansas head coach Bill Self calls a play during the second half on Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

The newly revamped 12-day July college basketball recruiting period opens on Thursday.

Tournaments such as the Peach Jam in North Augusta, S.C., the AAU Super Showcase in Orlando, Fla., as well as adidas Super 64, Fab 48 and Las Vegas Classic in Glitter City, will keep Kansas University head coach Bill Self and assistants Jerrance Howard, Norm Roberts and Kurtis Townsend busy from Thursday to Sunday of the next three weeks.

“Obviously it’s going to be an intense three weeks,” KU coach Bill Self said Tuesday. “The rules have changed. You are not out that long (compared to 20 days in past Julys). It probably amps up the intensity during the period of time you are out. We have our core group of guys we are following and chasing. We need to have a good July and hopefully go into the school year with the best guys all thinking, ‘Kansas,’” Self added.

Self can’t, and won’t, comment on individual prospects in accordance with NCAA rules. However, it’s been widely reported that 10 of the top 20 high school seniors in the country, as rated by Rivals.com, are considering KU.

They are: No. 1 Jahlil Okafor, 6-10, Chicago Whitney Young; No. 2 Tyus Jones, 6-1, Apple Valley (Minn.) High; No. 3 Emmanuel Mudiay, 6-5, Prime Prep Academy, Arlington, Texas; No. 4 Cliff Alexander, 6-8, Chicago Curie; No. 6 Myles Turner, 6-11, Trinity High, Euless, Texas; No. 7 Rashad Vaughn, 6-5, Findlay Prep, Las Vegas; No. 8 Stanley Johnson, 6-6 Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif.; No. 14 Malik Pope, 6-8, Laguna Creek High, Elk Grove, Calif.; No. 16 Justise Winslow, 6-5, Houston St. John’s; and No. 19 Kelly Oubre, 6-5, Bush High, Richmond, Texas.

Rivals.com reports that Alexander, Johnson, Turner and Oubre are all planning on attending the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog.

“Everything,” Self said, asked what the Jayhawks are looking for on the recruiting trail. “We are recruiting everything because we don’t know who will stay and who won’t stay, how long guys will stay.

“Obviously we are going out with an open mind knowing we have to not think the worst (regarding early entries to 2014 NBA Draft), but prepare that we’ll have more than one scholarship which obviously is how many we have on paper with Tarik (Black, senior) being our only scholarship.”

Freshman Andrew Wiggins is expected to be the No. 1 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft. Players such as Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid and Perry Ellis have been mentioned as possible early entrees in 2014 or 2015.

Practice update: KU’s players have practiced two hours a week with the Jayhawk coaches during June and July in accordance with NCAA rules.

Self was asked if Wiggins, 6-7 from Toronto and the No. 1-rated prospect in the recruiting Class of 2013, has been “dominating the scrimmages.”

“I don’t know about the scrimmages,” Self said of daily pick-up games which coaches cannot attend. “The limited practice time we’ve had ... I think all our guys are working hard. They are all getting better. They are all learning. He is one of those guys getting better, learning, getting in shape. I think all of our freshmen (Wiggins plus Joel Embiid, Brannen Greene, Conner Frankamp, Frank Mason and Wayne Selden) have had days they have been as impressive as anybody in the gym. I don’t want to say he’s dominating. That’d be an absolute lie,” Self added.

The good news is the freshmen appear to be as talented as advertised. Self said, “Yes, he can. He’s good,” when asked if Georgia off-guard Greene could shoot from deep. He stated, ‘Yes. Unreal,’” when asked if Wichita combo guard Frankamp could shoot the trey with accuracy. He added, “Yes. He can do a lot of things,” when asked if Cameroon center Embiid had good hands. He added that when he “gets it,” Embiid could be quite a prospect. He’s only played organized basketball the past two years.

“The whole thing is ... are they great? No,” Self said of the newcomers. “They’ve all had days they were as good as anybody in the gym, all of them. Wiggins is talented, though. That is one talented cat.”

Self was asked which of the young guys have stood out the most.

“We’re all young,” he said of his team. “To me, I’d say Perry (Ellis, sophomore forward) and Jamari (Traylor, soph forward) have been as good as anybody. I think our young guys have all been about the same, to be honest with you. I think they’ve all shown flashes of really being impactful.”

Sophomore Andrew White III has recovered from a knee sprain that slowed him in early June. “Andrew is back 100 percent and looking good,” Self said.

Of the practice time, he added: “It’s just two hours a week, mainly individual improvement. It’s not like we’ve done much at all.”

Comments

JHWKDW 9 months, 1 week ago

Any truth in the rumor that Bill Self has the edge on signing Titus Ashby? Yeah you know the little baby who is shooting the baskets, making a big splash on Youtube. Supposedly not just Kansas is interested Arizona,UCLA,UNC,Duke, and KSU are also interested in signing him. Geez guys let him get out of freaking diapers before you recruit him. LOL!

BucknellJayhawk3 9 months, 1 week ago

Given that we will have 2 or more scholarships available next year, how can Self offer scholarships to 6+ people? I know not all of them will accept- but it's terrible PR to renege on a scholarship offer (I dont think that would ever happen with Self/KU like it did to what, UCLA I think?). KU's recruiting is obviously on the right track right now and we are on most everybody's list. So here's a hypothetical question because I'm not sure what we're better off with in the recruiting game. What happens in the scenario that we have an extra scholarship this year to offer the rivals #100 player who won't start until junior year versus saving the scholarship until next year when we could offer it to a McD's AA? I'd say this is a great problem to have, but is the MO to always fill your scholarships with at least 3-4 star players no matter what?

Ralster Jayhawk 9 months, 1 week ago

Sometimes Bill Self says things specifically designed to keep players' egos in check and to keep other players confidence up. The BIG unknown with Traylor is only the rate of his improvement...He did nothing consistently last season, but it was his frosh (eligibility-wise) season to play. There are over 300 Div.1 schools with 12-15man rosters each, and out of all the kids out there, Traylor was ranked somewhere around 100? So is that top500 out of all 4500 Div1 kids? I forget: was Traylor the 100-ranked PF or the 100ish-ranked overall player? So WHY does Bill Self take a chance on THIS kid? And this is a sport played by kids, and eventhough Jamari wasnt even close to being a MickeyD in h.school...how long will it take of focused, determined, coached-by-best working on one's game before one becomes able to consistently do the things playing this game requires? Golden question for kids like Traylor, maybe Lucas. Maybe Mason. I dont know the answer until we actually see it happen live. Only Self knows right now, and as usual, he isnt revealing his cards. Watch the non-conf season. Frankly, sit back and enjoy. Watch Duke get their azz handed to them...

Michael Pannacciulli 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Kingfisher...TWC's content will still only allowe to be locked to the specific regions it currently operates in.

Question: When will Self pull a Brad Stevens? After his son graduates I presume.

Comment: Can't wait to see Lucas! Is this kid going to be huge for us and will he play more mins than Joel? Also I often forget that we have Traylor returning. That dude is diesel...hoping this year he puts a little polish on his skills.

I also think Connor is going to be clutch and dig us out of some holes with that stroke of his...AND in turn have a game winner or two. He will be our secret weapon when everyone is triple teaming Wiggy.

seventytwohawk 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Recruiting must be more complex today compared to when freshmen couldn't play and no one left early. My freshman year, our freshman team had Neil Mask at 6'6" as our tallest player. He basically played a strong forward. That is because the year before Ted had signed Dave Robisch and Roger Brown and didn't anticipate a need for a center for the next three years. I'll never forget when we played our freshman game with K-State and we started Aubrey Nash at center against their 6'10" player. They didn't know what to do and Aubrey dominated. Bud Stallworth, Bob Kivisto and Tim Peterson were also on that team. The best freshman team I ever saw, however, was two years later. We had Randy Canfield, a 3-time all-state player from Wichita SE. at 6'll", Tom Kivisto (a consensus 3-time all Big 8 guard), a smooth shooting 6'5 wing from Washington, D.C (who looked like he was 28 years old, simply toyed with the JCs and other freshmen teams in the Big 8) and Leonard Gray who was a powerful 6'8" and could handle the ball like a guard. House never showed up his sophomore year and Gray transferred to Long Beach State, but I often wondered how great that team might have been.

mikehawk 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Welcome to SelfTalk. Lots of yada yada yada, and nothing really said. They could just as well change the names, and cut and paste the rest of his comments from previous years.

jayhawkingtontown 9 months, 2 weeks ago

hooligan42 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I used to like this site, but these survey questions have got to go, at least I answered the questions completely wrong. If kusports.com doesn't care about their readers privacy then I will automatically chose whatever information I know to be completely backwards from what the entire purpose of the survey is for in the first place!

screwtheSEC 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I think Frankamp is going to be the best player of the bench for Kansas this year. I watched him in a three point contest. The guy can shoot lights out which is what Kansas was missing last year.

William Blake 9 months, 2 weeks ago

College recruiting today is a tough business.

I'm thinking (in our case) successful recruiting is based on understanding the developmental speed of players. Which of our guys on this team will be OADs... TADs... etc.?

And getting a feel for the development speed of the recruits. Then... putting together a plan to move forward with recruiting, and being able to communicate a realistic plan to recruits, concerning where the team will be and where each recruit fits in... along with "selling them" on their own development speed within our program.

Does this make sense? I don't know... maybe I'm over-complicating the process and it is all about landing players by convincing them they'll get good PT.

Hard to imagine talking to a recruit like your plan would be to make them a TAD...

Maybe the skill comes in tempering expectations later... when they are already in Lawrence.

It must have been easier years ago... when players basically stayed 4 years.

CWGOKU 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish this was one of those years where we play an early exhibition, like we did in Canada and Europe. I am anxious to see this team play. Anxious is putting it mildly.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

TV Update: Reports are out that Apple is negotiating with Time Warner to partner as part of a new Apple TV offering. This could mean that Time Warner content could be potentially available nationwide.

Perhaps this was part of Dr. Z's conversations when negotiating the recent 3rd-tier rights deals? Putting KU in the Apple TV universe would be a massive broad stroke in getting the KU brand out to the masses and affiliating with the world's coolest company.

Of course, this is all speculation right now, but the rumor mill on Apple has been pretty reliable in recent years in terms of predicting new offerings.

Bewareofthephog Fifety-Five 9 months, 2 weeks ago

For this upcoming recruiting class, we do not want top-10 guys who will make an immediate impact. We already have a 2015 rotation ready to go with Tharpe, Mason, Frankamp, White III, Greene, Traylor, Mickelson, Lucas, Embiid, and maybe Ellis if he doesn't go pro after this season. Out of those ten names I listed, we will have to cut at least one and probably two-or three from our rotation, so we do not need top-notch recruits.
What we need are players who could do well in practice and start getting serious minutes as juniors. Recruits such as Malik Pope, Craig Victor, Elbert Robinson, and Josh Perkins would do nicely.

Steve Gantz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Reporters generally annoy me. Someone asking if Wiggins is "dominating the scrimmages" is just about the stupidest question there is. Every year there's practice all americans who we've never heard of because they freeze up when the bright lights are turned on. Meanwhile the real All Americans keep working, probably not really trying to dominate a scrimmage.

As for the recruits mentioned, I'll take a bench full of those players who won't jump to the NBA after a year over one or two of them that we'd probably lose after a years service. Generally you win championships with players who stay on campus for more than one or two years, although ironically the two teams that I can think of that rode OAD's to the championship both did it to KU, Carmelo in 03 and Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and a sophomore sharpshooter named Doron Lamb.

One recruit mentioned is from Euless, Texas. Now I know Texans are arrogant, but even their town names reflect it!

Chris Shaw 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Let's keep the momentum! I always said that 2014 thru 2017 could be very special. Let's knock out a couple of Final 4's and see what happens.

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Anyone looking to make some $$$$$

Please go the AFH, hook up a streaming video camera, put it on a website and charge $2 to view each practice (giving me a free password for giving you the idea of course)

Then we will all know if this is coach talk or if this team has a long way to go to gel. I really think I would rather watch a practice then some of the early season games. We have never had this much depth, I am trying to lower my expectations, but am having issues when I think of our potential. But like posters above have said- we dont need 8 guys to put up 15+ a game as their goal, we need glue guys and specialist. I want a to see who our lock down defender is going to be. RCJH

Ted Hume 9 months, 2 weeks ago

How about coach just baiting Ralster with his comment about Traylor being as good as anybody so far? Gotta think Self is having fun with posters sometimes, even if it's just a fantasy-

David Brown 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Anybody else think this year's team could be the best perimeter shooting team in Self's tenure? Space the floor, whip the ball around the perimeter, drive 'n dish---I want to believe that, as a team, we can be spectacular shooting the ball from outside. And, with so many players who have that shooting skill, when one is off, another can be on. Not to abandon the high/low at all, but simply to be blessed that deeply from outside. Comments??

Michael Luby 9 months, 2 weeks ago

First, thanks Gary for keeping us going this summer.
Next, correct me if Im wrong fellas but CS does this every summer. He will skirt the boundaries of saying specific things about his team so early. Most likely to temper the rookies egos but also because he cant watch the pickup games. If they dont play 5 on 5 in practice, its hard to tell.
That being said, we all know defenses will be designed to stop Wiggins from day one in late October. CS's words above give me just a glimmer into what might be a stellar season for our young team. I'll be money on CS having the guys ready to play as a team and gelling all their talent together. I dont doubt this at all. The fact that we havent had a class this talented since CS has been here is even more exciting. However, we must remember that 9 of 10 times, experienced talent wins tournaments and rings. We can all hope for a ring this year with Wiggins leading the way, but none of us should be disappointed if it doesnt happen.
Personally I cant wait to see a defense try to double and triple team Wigs. That kid can run and pass as well as anyone we have had here, from what Ive seen. That happens and he dishes to any one of our 4 other guys. If the opposing team tries to full court press with Naa, Selden and Wigs out there? His lightning fast first step and his spin move are nearly unguardable. October/November just cant get here soon enough.

Jonny Swift 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Interesting how Self plays down all the freshman in this article. Trying to temper the expectations and lower the hype? I know they're just freshman, but these are some REALLY GOOD freshman and I think they will play up to the hype and more mature than freshman. But if not....they are just freshman.

Alex Wishart 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This might sound a bit blasphemous but I just don't want to turn into one of those teams with all the talent that never gels. Look at last years Kentucky and/or Lakers teams. All the talent in the world doesn't necessarily equal a Big 12 championship and easy sailing through the big dance. Here's to chemistry. Here's to Self. Here's to whomever becomes this years Releford/KYoung glue guys. Here's to hoping that all this talent gels.

Phil Leister 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Do any other teams in the country have 3 black assistants? Serious question. I'm not saying this in a derogatory or racist way, so please don't remove it. I just think it's interesting and I wonder if it has any effect on recruiting. Maybe it's easier for a young prospect to connect with a black coach. I know Coach Howard is considered to be a top notch recruiter. Obviously it isn't only because he's black, but I've gotta think it plays in somewhat.

Chances of this comment staying up are slim given the track record of censorship on here. But, again, I'm not saying anything derogatory. I actually think 3 black assistants is extremely noteworthy. And maybe it has an effect on recruiting. Maybe not.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Our team is incredibly scary. The rest of the Big 12 is seriously screwed, even OK St is screwed. We ain't got time for that! Our first 3 or 4 off the bench would start on every other big 12 team. This is insane. This is insane. This is insane. Yes, let the darkness flow through you.