Saturday, July 6, 2013

Second-year pro Tyshawn Taylor auditions to back up Nets’ star guard

Brooklyn Nets guard Tyshawn Taylor (41) celebrates his last-minute, three-point shot in the second half of the Nets 106-101 victory over the Washington Wizards in an NBA basketball game, Monday, April 15, 2013, in New York.

The Brooklyn Nets’ signing of point guard Shaun Livingston, agreed to on Saturday, could mean limited minutes for second-year pro Tyshawn Taylor again during the 2013-14 NBA season.

That’s not a certainty, however.

Former Kansas University standout Taylor, a second-round pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, enters today’s Orlando Summer League opener against Detroit with a chance to impress new Nets head coach Jason Kidd. He figures to choose either Taylor or Livingston as backup to All-Star Deron Williams. Last year’s backup lead guard, C.J. Watson, is signing with Indiana.

“This is Tyshawn’s chance to show us as a coaching staff that he wants to be the backup. He has every opportunity for that spot, and I’m going to do everything to push him so he can get it,” Kidd told the New York Post before the acquisition of Livingston.

Livingston averaged 6.7 points and 3.5 assists in 66 games last year with Cleveland. He started 16 games and logged 22.5 minutes per contest. Taylor averaged 5.8 minutes a game in just 38 games his rookie season with the Nets. He averaged 2.2 points and 0.6 assists.

Taylor scored 12 points and dished two assists while playing 34 minutes in an overtime victory over Indiana in February. He scored four points to open the extra session.

“It’s definitely a confidence booster, with the opportunity that I’m good enough to play and good enough to be effective,” Taylor told the N.Y. Post. “I think those few games I had (three in which he played 20 or more minutes) definitely helped, and I hope my coaching staff takes that into consideration, too, when they consider playing me.

“I just want to show my coaching staff that I can be a point guard ... make good decisions with the ball, get my teammates involved and just put pressure on the defense. Be a lock-down defender, or a decent one, anyway, and just run the team.”

Taylor, who is from Hoboken, N.J., noted that he just wants a fair “opportunity.”

“I want to at least be able to compete for it,” Taylor told the Post. “I don’t want to be looking at the roster and say, ‘This guy is here, this guy is here, this guy is here, I’m definitely not going to play.’”

He should definitely garner major minutes in summer league action.

“I want to see him in this situation, this setting, being the leader, that’s what I’m pushing. I will lean on him heavily,” Kidd told NetsDaily.com. “I’m looking for him to put guys in position offensively and defensively.”

Taylor likes freshman: Taylor, who spent some time in Lawrence in June, told Zagsblog.com he’s impressed with KU freshman Andrew Wiggins.

“I think the people saying he’ll go No. 1 (in draft) next year, that puts a lot of pressure on a young kid, but I think he’s had that pressure and been known as that prodigy type of kid for a while, so I think he’s embracing it,” Taylor said. “He’s excited about it and I think coach (Bill) Self is going to put him in the right position to be successful and with the team he’s gonna have, they’re gonna win a lot of games. They’re gonna be on TV a lot, he’s gonna get a lot of attention and I don’t think he’s gonna have to do much to be the No. 1 pick. I think he has the ability to do it. I think he has the ability to play in this league right now.”

Of the team, Taylor noted: “Wayne Selden is good. Conner Frankamp impressed me when I played against him. Naadir Tharpe, who was a freshman when I was a senior ... he’s come a long way as a proven point guard, Perry Ellis came a long way, so they’ve got a really good team.”

Johnson, Mudiay consider KU, UK: KU and Kentucky are among the schools in the running for blue-chip prospects Stanley Johnson and Emmanuel Mudiay. Johnson, a 6-6 senior small forward from Mater Dei High in Santa Ana, Calif., who is ranked No. 8 nationally by Rivals.com, tells Zagsblog.com he will attend UK’s Big Blue Madness on Oct. 18, Arizona Oct. 12 and Florida on Oct. 30. He is also considering KU, Oregon, Duke, USC and UCLA. Mudiay, a 6-5 senior point guard from Prime Prep Academy in Dallas, who is ranked No. 3, will visit Kentucky, likely for Big Blue Madness. He is also considering KU, Arizona, Baylor, N.C. State, SMU and others.

McClure to Late Night: King McClure, a 6-3 junior shooting guard from Dallas’ Triple A Academy who is ranked No. 16 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, will make an unofficial visit to KU for the Oct. 4 Late Night in the Phog, Rivals.com reports. Also on his list: Arkansas, Baylor, Duke, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Indiana, Florida and others.

Comments

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

Go get 'em Tyshawn. Slash 'em and thrash 'em!

Jonny Swift 1 year, 2 months ago

Tyshawn looked like a boss in the scrimmage highlight videos from camp, and played really well in his limited minutes last year in my opinion. He's a prototypical NBA point guard and really deserves the chance to be Williams' backup this season. He's gonna have no problems finding scorers haha...not only has he grown a lot on the court, but you can tell his career at KU and now his professional career have really matured him. He sounds so much more intelligent now!

I like how there are multiple NBA teams this year with a couple Jayhawks on the roster...Tyshawn and Paul Pierce in Brooklyn, the Morris twins in Phoenix...too bad Jeff and Trob just got split up, but Jeff might be with Xavier if New Orleans resigns him. And had Cole gotten resigned by Sacramento, he'd be with Ben. Too bad...here's to Xavier, Cole, Releford, and all the other former Jayhawks tryin' to make an NBA roster!

Michael Auchard 1 year, 2 months ago

Some writers on this site, usually the younger ones, Tait and Newell and company, actually hyperlink things that they source. They seem pretty professional when they do it, too.

When a writer mentions another source, they should link to it. It's not that I'm lazy (I already looked up the Zagsblog article on my own, thanks LJW), it's pretty standard Internet etiquette and helps with readability. It's really not that hard in any program I've ever used.

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

Too bad they'e going to Kentucky for late night instead of KU. That's a worry.

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

They are going to Kentucky for late night because they are going to Kentucky. We will be fine.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe it just means they want to experience Allen Field House during a real game?

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Unless Calipari and recruits shoot themselves in the foot a 2nd consecutive season, the Wildcat draw appears to remain strong to lure OADers. Not likely to happen again this season, tho there are some huge and very aggressive egos in camp. At this stage I feel that the Jayhawks will produce the teammanship to go further.

Chris Nieto 1 year, 2 months ago

You realize that UK's Late Night festivities are two weeks after ours, so they could attend both. Cliff Alexander and Stanley Johnson are also attending our late night.

dylans 1 year, 2 months ago

I really hope UKs team implodes this season with all the egos. We'll see...

jay381 1 year, 2 months ago

I am not sure I agree. I actually think we do better when the kids experience the real game atmosphere in Allen rather than the Late Night (as well as it is produced). I do not have the stats but I think we came in second on several that attended Late Night. As great as Late Night is it does not compare to a close real conference game atmosphere or a named opponent.

Ryan Beddie 1 year, 2 months ago

I believe Johnson's girlfriend is attending ucla that may have some sway

rudymchavez 1 year, 2 months ago

KU usually finishes second to UK in recruiting, it doesn't matter as long as HCBS continues to acquire top talent. He builds a consistent winner, not to overemphasize the nine straight conference titles but looking at this upcoming year last October I had my concerns for the tenth straight title but this great recruiting class makes that possible. As far as Stanley Johnson, UK can have him, I seen him play and he is kind of soft and Mater Dei doesn't exactly have a great reputation for their kids staying at the same college(the high profile recruits transfer a lot). I like the kids from St. John Bosco of the same league in southern CA. HCBS will bring in 3-4 solid guys next year even if they are building blocks for the future. Rock Chalk!

shottybotch 1 year, 2 months ago

Cal can have the OC kid, they never have any heart.

kubb 1 year, 2 months ago

So why is it I need to answer a stupid question to read articles now on this site? Is everyone else forced to answer questions to read the article? I WILL NOT READ ANY ARTICLES THAT I NEED TO FIRST TAKE A SURVEY!!!! I wish Tyson well but I cannot comment on the article because I have not read it.

The website you are visiting is using a survey, powered by Google, to enable access to its paid content. Answering a quick question here gives you immediate access to the content you want without having to pull out your wallet or sign in. These surveys contain questions written and provided by survey creators that want to conduct market research. The website you're visiting earns money from the surveys that appear. This service makes market research fast, accurate, and affordable, helps to fund great web content and enables you easily and quickly get access to it.

Your answer is anonymous and is aggregated with all other anonymous answers to the question. It's not connected with any information about you, and is not used to develop a profile or to deliver ads. Once the survey is complete, an aggregated report is provided to the survey creator about the specific question it asked.

Like ads on the web, some surveys may be delivered to you based on the interests and inferred demographics associated with your browser. You can click here to review or edit these, or to opt-out through Google’s ads preferences manager.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

??????

Btw, you just called him Tyson. Seriously?

kubb 1 year, 2 months ago

My mistake, but it passed spell check:) Sorry Tyshawn, I do wish you well.

jhawk613 1 year, 2 months ago

You should probably not ever eat at a restaurant that runs ads on TV, or shop at a grocery store that mails coupons to your house, or go to a sporting event where ads are always on display...god forbid someone actually find a way to cover the cost of their company.

Inaccurate 1 year, 2 months ago

You are way off base. This is more like saying you must first fill out a survey before you can order food. I'd bet you wouldn't want to eat there.

There's nothing wrong with ads when done right (not intrusive/can be ignored), but this was not done professionally. They just dumped a horribly formatted survey right in the middle of the page, making it completely 100% intrusive. If they at least took time to design it into the page so it flowed, and made it easy to get through.. it wouldn't be that big a deal. There should also be a "no thanks" button or something of the like. I'd be much more willing to fill out a survey if I had the choice to fill it out as opposed to be forced to. Common sense imho. They should invest in some ux classes for their devs.

HawksWin 1 year, 2 months ago

Kubb, I agree with you, and refuse to partake on the data hor Google's attempt to obtain my personal data for free articles only to pimp out to marketers & govt agencies NSA, IRS, FCC, Dem/Rep, etc. Google already tracks my Internet sites, emails and it wants more personal info? Shove it. My privacy isn't for sale. Very disappointed with LJW. Someone suggested feeding garbage while on survey... Hmmm...

Steve Brown 1 year, 2 months ago

I might be the lone ranger yet I will not answer the survey so I get the first few lines only. I do tell Netflix what movies I prefer but for the other data Andrew Snowden knows so get it from him. I may regret saying this, yet could I pay a reasonable annual subscription and avoid the questions invasion of privacy.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

So you refuse to answer survey question because of privacy issues, but you would have no problem entering your credit card number on the internet exposing yourself to potential identity theft.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

So....for all of you who don't like the survey, could you start directing your comments to the editor/publisher in another format so that your incessant whining doesn't clog up the forum for those of us who don't care?

No one, and I mean no one, cares at all if you ever come on the board again. It just doesn't matter.

Jeremy Wilhelm 1 year, 2 months ago

This! I don't know what the big deal is people. Welcome to a capitalist, free market economy where people have stuff to sell? Don't like it? Then go away. Your traffic on the site drives ad sales, so coming here to complain is just shooting off your own foot.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

Amen to that, Matt, Jesse, Gary, Tom, or any other writer has no authority on this issue, or the Kansas University issue for that matter while people are talking about issues that cause plenty of off topic posts, so send the complaints to upper management at the World Company since those are the people who have capacity to actually do something about it.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

You're wrong. You don't think that the higher-ups at the World Company are aware of the fact that countless readers are commenting about the Kansas University issue or the surveys? Commenting on the stories is the single best way to show the LJW, not just the writers whose names we know, that something needs to change. Combine that with personal emails to those in charge, and we'll see change eventually.

Keep commenting people. Those in charge, who can actually make a change, are well aware that there are issues. And the last thing they want to do is alienate their readers, the very people who keep them in business.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

when readership goes down they'll notice. Until then every click and every comment just make this site more marketable to advertisers.

If you really think upper management at the world company knows or cares what people write about in the comment section on kusports.com then you may be oblivious to how major corporations actually function. Unfortunately, the only people who really have a clue are the ones who actually interact with the customer.

But please don't stage a boycott. Because if they lose advertisers then they'll make us pay for a subscription. I don't pay for a single other subscription online or in print and would much rather answer one question a day. I'm not embarassed to tell google that I don't use sugar in my coffee.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

The only chance KU has at landing a OAD caliber player is at the 2 and that's only if Selden is a OAD player this which is a legitimate possibility this season. If Selden does end uo sticking around for year 2, KU's starting lineup is already pretty well set with Tharpe, Selden, Greene/White (I personally think Greene is the better player of the two), Ellis, and Embiid. Thisbis not going to be Bill Self's best class simply because there isn't a ton of playing time available for the 2014 recruits. It is entirely possible depending on player development that KU's 2014-15 rotation is set without any 2014 recruits seeing relevant minutes because of KU's current depth and roster composition. We'll see KU on a lot of elite recruits lists just because that is the norm, but the 2014 may not be highly regarded simply because the PT isn't necessarily there. 2015 is going to be the next big time class for KU because Tharpe will be gone, Ellis should be gone if he develops like the other 4's before him, Selden likely won't be around longer than this, and Embiid could very well be gone at this point. That's at least how I have the development of KU's players penciled in for how they will turn out and when they'll leave.

chriz 1 year, 2 months ago

Man am I glad to see this year's incoming class. Sad to see that none of our grads under Bill Self is really making a dent in the NBA. That should change with Wiggins and probably Selden.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 2 months ago

Best of luck TT!

Gosh I love all the exposure our great program continues to get as we keep moving forward.

Jayhawk Nation is alive and well-and it is INTERNATIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just this week I met another KU grad in METZ, FRANCE. She wasn't wearing anything to identify her as a KU grad and I wasn't either but we soon figured it out.

RCJH. On to Munich where I will find other "birds of a feather", no doubt.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Every second year player trying to learn the ropes in the NBA needs a new head coach that has never coached at any level of the game before."

--Andre Sarcasme, famed French Basketball Writer for Le Monde and Le Jam

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Some Simulacra that We Don't Know We Don't Know that We in fact Know We Know but Choose to Live in Denial About Concerning the Future of the Game"

Part 1

~At the same time that robotic chauffeurs become widely available in mid sized family sedans, robotic players will take over for bio-based basketball players.

~Very shortly computer generated imagery of basketball will reach a level of such sophistication that directors of referees and heads of the broadcast industry will be able to selectively override live broadcasts during commercial breaks and resume computer generated action that will keep the game in the broadcast windows without viewers' awarenesses.

~In the not-too-distant future, basketball programs trying to do it "the right way" will be categorized as terrorists groups by the soon to be formed Department of Homeland Sports.

~Miracle compounds will soon be used to make basketball courts that have a trampoline effect that will allow even spot-up shooters with 28 inch verticals to do 360 degree dunks.

~Players will soon have bio-monitoring chips imbedded in them as freshmen that will produce realtime biological telemetry, ads and betting lines that will become some of the hottest action in Las Vegas.

~Genetic engineering of children will soon reach such a heightened level of sophistication that Nike and Adidas will contract with first trimester fetuses by means of nano-agent runners injected into the bloodstreams of pregnant mothers.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 2

~When the public becomes widely aware that NASA reputedly claims to have mislaid all of the bio-telemetry and all of the live video transmissions of the Apollo moon missions and that historical NASA photos of the Lunar Excursion Modules in the Apollo program landed on the moon reveal no evidence at all of descent engine exhaust disruption of the lunar surface, even next to deep boot prints in the dust, many disoriented basketball fans will begin nonlinearly to doubt that the gaming industry really prefers unrigged game outcomes, and others will ask for their monies back from companies selling tickets for future rides beyond low earth orbit.

~Despite acute handwringing about Naadir Tharpe's defense, Tharpe will become the straw that stirs a 30-win drink, Andrew Wiggin will live up to the hype, Wayne Selden will shoot 40% from trey, Perry Ellis will average double-doubles, and a "committee of five" (Jamari, Tarik, Joel, Justin and Landen) will emerge that will make KU's front court invincible.

~Bill Self's hair will eventually be kept perfectly coiffed by means of a plasma force field operated remotely by Cin.

~jaybatian lists like this one will one day fall prey to the singularity forecasted by Vernor Vinge and then Vinge will postulate that after the singularity comes a multiplicity without specifying what that multiplicity will mean beyond saying cryptically, "Jean Baudrillard was not crying wolf when he said we will live in a world of copies of things that no longer have originals. Even the singularity will be a copy."

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

And before viewing all slam dunks, three-pointers, and game-winning shots, the new KU-ESPN rights agreement ad-tracker delay policy will require viewers to answer a series of intrusively personal questions.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Ill Bastardita, ole!

Smearing even jokes now as Conspiracy Theory aka dropping CT-bombs on fiction. :-)

Ill Bastardita, level with me.

Did you just get a certificate from Camp Smear?

Yeeeeeee Haaaaawwwwwww!

Ill Bastardita, do you think "the Three Stooges Go to Mars" is a Lookout Mountain Laboratory production, too!!!!!

Conspiracy theories to the right of Ill Bastardita!

Conspiracy theories to the left of Ill Bastardita!

Conspiracy theories ahead of Ill Bastardita!

Conspiracy theories behind Ill Bastardita!

Do you see the conspiracy of conspiracy theories you appear to be starting to believe in?!!!!

It was all just for fun, Ill Bastardita.

I was joking. i guess the joke was on you!!!

Don't go to Camp Smear, Ill Bastardita!

Read Jung on the Trickster myth!

You really thought I believed we didn't go to the moon.

That's rich!

Have a good day!!!

Rock Chalk!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

TT going to have to cut down the turnovers and look to be a distributor if he wants that #2 spot. Scoring the basketball is not going to impress Jason Kidd. Not a bad start for TT, but they lost, he was -12 when he was in the game, and he had 6 turnovers vs 1 freaking assist with 17 points. That is not going to get him the #2 spot.