Friday, July 5, 2013

Tait

Opinion: Wide receiver Nick Harwell still coming to KU whether his former school cooperates or not

Former Miami of Ohio receiver Nick Harwell (8) shakes off the tackle of Middle Tennessee defender Rod Issac (6) in the first quarter of the GoDaddy.Com Bowl NCAA college football game at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011.

It’s not just about wins and losses, football coaches and university presidents across the country shout from the highest mountains. It's about sending student-athletes into the world with college degrees first and football second.

And then there is the case of wide receiver Nick Harwell, who had a terrific record on the football field during his time at Miami (Ohio) University and a police record off of it. Harwell, who announced his intention to transfer to Kansas University in late May, wants nothing more than to take the necessary summer school classes to earn his degree so he can transfer to KU and become eligible to play another year of college football this coming fall. Thus far, Miami has blocked his path to doing so.

But according to numerous people close to the situation, Harwell is coming to Lawrence in August no matter what. Whether he's eligible to play when he arrives is completely up to the decision makers at Miami, who suspended him for a semester this spring after an arrest that led to Harwell entering a guilty plea on a second-degree misdemeanor charge of attempted theft after he reclaimed possession of his cap and gown from his girlfriend's car.

There is no question about whether Harwell is at fault in this incident or any of his previous arrests during his time at Miami.

The question is, why, with Harwell sitting just a couple of classes away from graduating and cleared in the eyes of the law, would Miami want to stand in the way of him moving on with his career, a path that one day figures to lead him to the NFL?

Don Jackson, a veteran attorney based in Montgomery, Ala., who has 23 years of experience fighting NCAA eligibility cases, is representing Harwell’s interests. He said the only thing that made sense was that the powers that be at Miami were attempting to force Harwell to remain at Miami. He also said that's not going to happen.

“He's not going back to Miami under any circumstances,” Jackson said. “He'll be at the University of Kansas whether that means he's playing this year or sitting this year and playing next year. But we're optimistic and hopeful that he'll be playing this year.”

In order for that to happen, Harwell needs to complete a couple of courses that would allow him to graduate from Miami and transfer to KU via the same senior-transfer rule that brought Dayne Crist from Notre Dame and sent cornerback Tyler Patmon from KU to Oklahoma State. According to sources, Harwell is about a week shy of completing one such course online. The others, which also could be taken online, must be under way by July 15, the start date of Miami's final summer session.

According to the criteria for graduation from Miami, the classes must be taken through Miami. Furthermore, Harwell cannot take those classes as an active member of the KU program if he wants to be eligible for 2013. In short, the longer Harwell stays away the better his chances of playing for KU this season.

Miami's final summer session ends Aug. 10 and KU opens fall camp on Aug. 7. But one source said that even if Harwell were to arrive as late as the end of August, his talent, experience and familiarity with KU coach Charlie Weis' system — Harwell was recruited to Miami by former Weis assistant Mike Haywood — would make him a likely candidate to play in KU's opener Sept. 7 provided he reports in game shape.

The bottom line here is this: Since the time of the arrest both Harwell and KU have done everything in their power to pave the way for the nation's second-leading receiver to continue his college career at Kansas under Weis. Miami, however, seems to have played the role of the scorned ex-lover. Given the toll that losing Harwell would take on Miami's APR score along with the potential negative image portrayed to other current and future Miami student-athletes, it seems Miami would be best served to accommodate Harwell here and wish him well in the future. How can the school claim it puts athletes earning degrees before winning football games if Harwell’s path to a degree is blocked over spite? Efforts this week to reach a Miami spokesperson for comments on Harwell's status and future were not returned.

There is no question that adding the 6-foot-1, 193-pound Harwell to Weis' offense would be a major lift for a KU program in the middle of rebuilding. Harwell leaves Miami as the second leading receiver in school history in career receptions (229) and yards (3,166), and third in receiving touchdowns (23). But this goes beyond football.

Other than the nature of the charges levied against him, this case seems similar to the situation KU faced in early 2012 with former quarterback Brock Berglund. In that instance, KU wound up granting Berglund his release before the end of January and he later transferred. Miami is choosing to stand in Harwell's way. And for what? To get the last laugh? To prove who's in charge?

School and athletic department officials may not be holding onto any hope that Harwell ever will play another down for the RedHawks, but they are holding him hostage when common sense suggests they should go the other route.

“I can't imagine why they've taken this long, to be perfectly honest,” said Jackson, noting that the time frame of a resolution remains up in the air. “Instead of letting this young man take the classes he needs to graduate and then move on with his life, they have chosen to drag it out and drag it out to a point where it's too late for this young man to take the classes he needs to graduate.”

We're not there yet. And if common sense prevails, we'll never reach that point. Instead, Harwell will be able to slip on his No. 88 jersey and make plays that send fans at Memorial Stadium into a frenzy. In addition, Harwell, who hasn’t always made decisions in which he and his family can take pride, can put a big smile on the face of all those who care about him by framing his college diploma and hanging it on his wall.

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

Harwell had over 200 receiving yards in their game at Ohio State last year. He'd be KU's best WR since the Mangino days by far.

Sparko 1 year, 3 months ago

Okay, Google was supposed to randomly select a couple of articles. It is on every article and is making this newspaper a slave to pop-ups. The LJW reads like a malware-infested hijack site right now. This was a huge mistake and it is costing you readers.

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

For what it's worth, I just encountered it for the first time today, when I logged on to access this article. I understand that nobody likes things like this, but I also didn't see clicking a couple of buttons as that big of a deal.

If you feel otherwise, we certainly respect that, but our hope is that you'll bear with us during this transition and, eventually, this will seem like no big deal at all.

Have a great weekend!

kadub6 1 year, 3 months ago

Just so you know, I will not get used to it and have just removed the LJW KU sports site from my favorites. Guess I will have to get my Jayhawk news elsewhere.

Very sad and stupid on LJW's part.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 3 months ago

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

I like that but might modify it a bit. For a text answer I'll just say I don't like these questions and will always answer something other than what I really think so they get information.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 3 months ago

I don't like it, either. Most of the kusports articles are available on the various Bleacher Report news emails and also from other sources. I'm real close to taking kusports off my links bar that I check multiple times daily. Very close.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

At the risk of being called a LJW bootlicker, I don't see this as being a big deal. Unlike the local papers for some other college towns, we don't pay a monthly fee to access the online content or to post in the comment section. LJW has to recoup some revenue for the cost of maintaining this website, and online viewers don't drive demand for the traditional paper delivery route. I'd rather have LJW pickup some revenue from this Google research program than pay a monthly fee for online access.

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 3 months ago

As I posted on another article already, if people didn't realize it, most webpages are already larded with trackers that are collecting, bundling, and selling our web-use data to advertisers. I understand and agree about your point that the LJW and like institutions have to generate income because real, reliable news isn't free. People think it is free because other websites repost things that they didn't actually pay to produce. The thing that bothers me about the Google questionnaire and the other tracking programs is simply that my privacy is turned into a cash cow not just for LJW, but for advertisers everywhere - at least potentially, if I was the type that clicked on ads and bought things, which I'm not, but still, on principle, I don't like corporations even hypothetically making money off of me for nothing.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

But you are are getting something. You are not paying for access to the information that LJW provides. There is value in what Matt and the rest of the LJW writers do for us, and we benefit from it.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 3 months ago

It literally takes 3 seconds to make a selection on these questions that are asked. Really pathetic that people are complaining about it.

If people want to leave the site, please feel free and take your bitching elsewhere.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Plus nothing says you have to answer truthfully. If it really bothers you that much, just always click on the first answer (or last answer or a random answer) and be smug that you're defeating the ads. Then read the content.

63Jayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Although I've been a long timer follower of LJW sports pages, as others, I no longer plan to read LJW articles. I respect and applaud the "freedom of the press". I do not like the gathering of information about individual subscribers. I'd like for you to respect the subscriber's "right to privacy"".

BayPark 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks to a reader posting a couple days ago (can't remember who it was), I read this article on the mobile site where there are no survey questions. I think it's a good option for those who prefer not to participate.

Cmill1221 1 year, 3 months ago

Cry babies! Upset that there are pop ups on a FREE website. You probably don't subscribe to the LJW or pick up the paper on your way to work so stop crying. You read Matt's articles and don't pay for it. Google does, Matt needs to eat also. If you do go to another website no one will miss your posts but just like others before you you will be back. Most of the bleacher report types of sites actually send you to Kusports.com

63Jayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The LJW has every right to do what they are doing, and the Jayhawk fans have every right to ignore the LJW. The LJW has plenty of other ads on their site from which they generate income, without gathering personal information about their readers.

cowboy 1 year, 3 months ago

for what its worth the implementer , COO , Ms. Schlitch is a COO of many newspapers under the World west banner having papers in colorado , arizona and here in Lawrence. The Google interruption is on all of the papers , we do not have a locally run paper anymore. Bye Bye LJW !

El Jay 1 year, 3 months ago

It is a big deal Matt. Its not the clicks necessarily but the idea that in order to read your articles I have to provide information to Google so they can spam me better. Thats not really a fair trade off at all considering, as others have pointed out, I can get these articles from other sources. Not to get political or anything, but with the recent revelations that not only is google collecting information on me but they are then passing that information along to the NSA, it just seems like a very inopportune time for LJW to attempt to force its readers to provide Google with even more data on themselves. I also take issue with the condescension in your response here. As i said, its about more than 'a couple of extra buttons' but even if it werent, your site does not provide any earth shattering news that one could not find elsewhere. That being the case, I would think you would do everything possible to ensure your readers have the most pleasant experience possible. Blowing off any inconvenience for your readers is, in my opinion, incredibly arrogant. I too have been getting most of my news from Bleacher Report lately because of this and will probably just switch completely now. Honestly, Id rather just pay a subscription fee for this site than have to put up with this junk (provided it was reasonable of course). Just my two cents (probably more like 5 but who's counting?)

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

What is the purpose of it in the first place? The questions don't even make sense. Look over to the right side of this page and see those ads from AdChoices? Those ads aren't the same for everyone, but based on metadata that has already been collected from search engines. It is relevant to the websites that you visit. KUSports.com does not need to do this, they have no explanation for the readers as to why it is being done, and because of those two reasons, it isn't responsible.

Inaccurate 1 year, 3 months ago

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 3 months ago

Like others have said, instead of using IE for your browser install Apple's Safari, that now hated Google's Chrome, or Firefox. I use Safari on my non-Apple laptop and I haven't seen one survey. IE is your problem.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 3 months ago

Yep, I use Safari on a Mac and haven't noticed a single inconvenience.

63Jayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Firefox gives the same results as IE!

LAJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Yeah, I'm on Safari as well and was trying to figure out WTH everyone was talking about.... site is exactly as it's always been to me.... up to and including the incessant complaining.....

gaker 1 year, 3 months ago

The alternative to answering a few questions every once in a while is a paywall or buying a paper

Seriously, is it that big of a deal? I'd much rather deal with the silly questions so the LJWorld can make some money and keep the content free than having to deal with either of those.

poet008 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt,

When will you do an article based upon the reality of KU football? That is - what happens when the Big XII falls apart after OU decides it wants to leave again?

Should KU dissolve football and join the new Big East to boost men's basketball, or should it join the Mountain West to keep football but greatly diminish men's basketball?

Why do you not talk about the reality of the inherent instability of the Big XII and what KU should be doing to make preparations?

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

One, because I'm not sure it's as much reality as you're making it out to be, and, two, because the league's granting of right agreement keeps that from being a major threat for the next several years.

Trust me, if it becomes news again and reaches the point of meltdown status, I'll be on it.

poet008 1 year, 3 months ago

Why would OU want to be gone one day and suddenly is "committed" to the Big XII again?

Can you list the reasons why any KU fan should feel even remotely secure in their long term conference affiliation status?

Why is KU not the next UCONN?

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

Can't say they're not. But I also can't say anyone's talking about them being in danger or any other schools going anywhere as of today, so it's not at the top of the list as far as coverage goes.

Again, if that changes, I'll be on it. And I'll be glad to do it.

But, frankly, I grew tired of the realignment mess during these past few summers (and, really, who didn't?) and don't see the point in digging into it this summer when no one's talking about it.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

@poet -- I think OU realized they were not as big of a catch as they thought they were. Once they realized they were hitched to Texas, and Texas can't take it's LHN into other conferences in the format they have now....OU's options dwindled to choosing between the Big12 or the Big12. That could change, but for a while the impact of the grant of rights agreement has locked things down for a while.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

Dissolve the football program, really? Five years removed from winning a BCS bowl game, something that the Kittens have yet to accomplish, and we want to quit on football? Go ahead and present that idea to Dr. Zenger and Coach Weis if you must. I want to be there when you do.

poet008 1 year, 3 months ago

The question is whether we hurt basketball in order to keep a football program that has had 100 years to succeed but never has or do we realize we are a basketball school and do everything we can to support basketball.

A secondary question is why anyone believes that the Big XII is all "lovey dovey" now and not a completely unstable conference.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

Just make sure John Hadl, Gale Sayers, John Riggins, John Zook, Nolan Cromwell, Bobby Douglass, Dana Stubblefield, James McClinton, and company are not present when you present your question, my friend.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

@Poet -- per my other reply to you above, I don't think the Big 12 is necessarily lovey dovey. I think the powers that be realize they will get the best deal for themselves in the structure we have here.

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

@jaydee -- to be fair to K-State, they did win the Fiesta Bowl in 1997. I don't think it was called 'BCS' back then, not 100%, but either way they did win an elite bowl so they deserve credit for that. I'm more a fan of pointing out that Mizzou hasn't been in a BCS level bowl for 41 years, and they haven't won a BCS level bowl for 47 years. Ouch!

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

No need to be fair. BCS started in 1998. Fact that KSU has not won a BCS Bowl game.

Ksucats68 1 year, 3 months ago

Interesting to note that in 1998, KSU finished the season ranked #1, lost in double OT to #8 Texas A&M and fell to #3 in the final rankings before the teams were selected for the bowls. KSU was passed over in favor of media darling Notre Dame and received a great deal of National coverage over the obvious bias. Controversy has followed the BCS in nearly every year of its existence which is why its finally going away. The following year, the BCS created the "K-State Rule" guaranteeing any team ranked in the top 4 would receive an at large bid if not already qualified. In three separate years including this one, KSU was ranked ahead of teams that were selected at large including in 2001 when USC was selected over KSU though KSU and USC played that year and KSU won the head to head matchup. Again, if the system was equal and fair then it wouldn't be going away.

ja_hok91 1 year, 3 months ago

You're right, in '97 it was an "Alliance Bowl".

Brad Farha 1 year, 3 months ago

Still seems like a pointless distinction. It was still one of the 4 main/elite bowls. It's not a strong slam given that.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

How do you derive pointless distinction out of an indisputable fact and then go further to call it a slam? Interesting interpretation.

Ksucats68 1 year, 3 months ago

What Rockn is pointing out is that the creation of the BCS did not change the fact that the Fiesta, Rose, Sugar, and Orange Bowls have always been the elite bowls and a win in any of those four bowls is just as prestigious before the creation of the BCS as it is now. The only thing the BCS did was create a systematic way of selecting who plays in the elite bowls and did not change the bowls themselves. You should read the BCS's own website, BCS.org as they are very direct in stating that most fans do not understand what their mission is. The mission of the BCS is to match #1 and #2 and then after that, make as much money as possible which does not include inviting small brand schools like KSU regardless of BCS rank. If the BCS was good and fair, it wouldn't be going away already. Not trolling, obviously I am KSU fan, just like chatting with other fans. Good luck this season.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

Good grief. It is a FACT that KSU has not won a BCS Bowl Game. I do not care what went on prior to the origination of the BCS. And I do not want either one of you or Crystal Jones representing me as my attorney in court.

Ksucats68 1 year, 3 months ago

You are correct. But what you don't seem to be understanding is that it is a fact that is irrelevant. A few years ago, the NCAA tournament changed its format. Do all Final Four appearances previous to this now mean nothing? Are they any less prestigious because of it? No, they are not. Also, why wouldn't you want an attorney who is capable of arguing against facts? Are you saying you want an attorney who would just give up each time the opposition stated a fact? Very strange comparison.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

You are seeing one side of the equation to support your self. What if that fact is critical to my defense and my attorney does not present it to the jury?

Talk about strange comparisons, your Final Four comparison meets that very well. Did I say that the success KSU has had prior to the BCS changing its name does not mean anything? FACT, KSU has not won a BCS Bowl game. Indisputable, there is nothing more to debate.

Ksucats68 1 year, 3 months ago

I have already told you that I agree with you that KSU has not won a BCS bowl. I don't think you understand what I am questioning. What I am questioning is why you believe that actually matters compared to their Fiesta Bowl win under the Alliance? You began this discussion by pointing out that KU has won a BCS bowl and KSU has not and after your own fanbase pointed out that KSU has won the Fiesta Bowl under the Alliance you acted as if that is inferior. That is what the debate is about. You are under this false impression that the letters B C and S mean something greater than they actually are. Again, read the BCS's own website. They begin by stating, that their system is "often misunderstood." The people they are talking about are people like you who think the system means something that it actually is not. There is no debate with that. The BCS creators state it themselves; yet you, like many, want to believe that its something more than it is. The Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, and Orange Bowls have ALWAYS been the elite bowls rather they were ran by the Alliance organization or the BCS organization. My comparison with the NCAA Tourney was spot on in comparing how post season play in both sports can and does change format but does not invalidate the previous format.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

I have not said the BCS was superior to its predecessor. That is YOUR interpretation. I am under no false impression. We have a poster that posed the question of KU dissolving football which is ridiculous considering that KU won a BCS Bowl game just five years ago, something KSU has not done. Fact. And who in the hell talks about KSU ending their football program? Numerous other reasons why it is ridiculous to talk about ending the football program but no need to digress further.

Ksucats68 1 year, 3 months ago

Fair enough, then we agree on all points. No doubt it is ridiculous to think of ending the program. Thanks for the back and forth and good luck this season.

Micky Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

The were elite Bowls, but the way that a team qualifies for them have changed. For example, before the BCS the Big12/Big8 Champion was an automatic bid to the Orange Bowl. More than one team from a conference could go to the Fiesta, Sugar, or Rose Bowl at that time. Now, they cannot unless and only if one team from a conference is ranked number 1 or 2 in the BCS rankings, thus playing in the national title game. Another team could then be invited to a BCS bowl, the four that you listed. That goes to K-State's invite to the Fiesta Bowl that they won, and good for them for winning it, but it can't happen now. I think both arguments make a good case for a playoff, and not just the top 4 teams, but the top 16 or top 32 teams. Make them play the games, and they have more than a month to do it. They might have to start the regular season a week earlier. Have a playoff, and don't let the "Alabama" status limit the opportunities for the teams. The result would be more conferences moving to become BCS conferences, more money for the NCAA, and a larger pool of Division I teams to select from. The latter would give every school the ability to schedule more, "Non mail it in" games.

In regard to trying to compare the Final Four appearances to Bowl Appearances, that is not even a valid comparison. There is a tournament in which a team has to win 4 games to get there, and every team in the tourney starts 0-0. It's single elimination. You lose you go home. In a Bowl game, you win and you don't move on. It's over after one game.

CrystalJones 1 year, 3 months ago

1. For Heaven's sake, KU is not dissolving football. Enough of that nonsense. We DID win a BCS game and did have a great season that year.

2. The "Kittens have yet to accomplish" line is getting old. Rockn_Chalkn_KU has it right: They're a far more successful program that we are. They've won 2 recent league championships in football, have been ranked #1 in the nation twice, and have gone to a helluva lot more bowl games in the past 25 years than we have...and beaten us something like 16 out of the last 20 usually badly. Besides they did win the Fiesta Bowl when the Alliance Bowl series was in effect. Talking smack about the Orange Bowl to them sounds stupid and desperate.

Let's just get our program better. And stop with the silly talk about dissolving football.

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

Overreact much? You read a lot into things. Who is saying KSU Is not successful in football? I need no reminder of that. Fact, they have not won a BCS Bowl game. Not disputable. Sorry the Kittens reference offended you. It was a playful gesture or response to a few of the terms their fans use to describe a Jayhawk.

Dave Roberts 1 year, 3 months ago

No chance that anyone leaves the Big 12 until close to 2022. You don't seem to understand the GOR (grant of rights) - if KU were to leave now, they would lose forfeit their TV income for the next 8-10 years! And so would OU or UT.

Who is going to leave under those circumstances?

Dave

sfbevo 1 year, 3 months ago

poet you have successfully trolled this article while wrapping yourself as a KU "fan". Nice work. Let's take your nonsense one step further, how does the university make up the immediate shortfall of $30M in television revenue, contracts from Big 12 football? In mid term that numbers rises to $40M. I hope you don't run your business with idiotic decisions such as you have suggested.

hawktalker5 1 year, 3 months ago

I read just today that he also mite put himself in the supplemental draft. Any thoughts on the article rather than worrying about conference realignment again and again?

jaydee909 1 year, 3 months ago

Miami is not making potential recruits to their football program feel real cozy and comfortable right now. Harwell has made some decisions in his personal life that have not been the best but let him get his degree and move on. I am hoping that Miami is just playing hard ball and will allow Harwell to take the online classes before the deadline passes.

BTW, really solid article, Matt!

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you. Not that this will quiet anybody, but it's nice to actually have the University of Kansas' ruling on it.

hbjayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt:

For what it's worth, you have done the BEST and most fair reporting of KU football in recent recent memory and possibly ever. Keep up the great work!

HotToddy69 1 year, 3 months ago

I wonder if Poet008 is still worried about Y2K?

Greg Ledom 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, thanks for all your updates on Big12 realignment when it was relevant. Furthermore, thanks for not reporting on it when it's not. Lastly, I'm sure you have better things to do than respond to @poet008 jibberish. Reality of KU football.........dissolve KU football. Seriously. Troll somewhere else.

Gregor Southard 1 year, 3 months ago

It's a great day to be a Kansas University Jayhawk!

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 3 months ago

poet008, what a waste of space this poster took up...

Thanks Matt for your comments on the realignment which isn't news any longer..

On to a better fight...removing the nitwits that post here

Steve Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

the google questions are intrusive .. .. I think Snowden is a traitor but if LJW wants our profile preferences to make better advertisements on the page better go to the NSA they have the data already. I am not going to tell you if I shop at Nordstrom's or have children left at home so I only get to read the first few lines then move to the posters.

1984 came and went and no one noticed. I am not answering questions.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 3 months ago

The only thing that ticks me off at this article is the power of these athletic departments and universities. To me, Brock Berglund made his mistakes, but I think Charlie Weis and the Kansas athletic department were wrong for preventing him to transfer when he wanted. I thought that situation was poorly handled.

I don't really care what this kid did at Miami (OH), if the kid wants to transfer that is his choice and his right. I also find it comical that universities will block a kid from transferring to certain schools. You see it all the time where a kid transfers, but the university will have a list of 4 to 10 schools where that student-athlete can't transfer to. It's beyond moronic IMO.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

This situation is different, from my reading of the article. This has nothing to do with KU or a transfer. He has made it clear he wants no future as a football player for Miami. He just wants to graduate and he only needs to take one class and finish another, which he can do online. They're preventing him from doing this somehow. I don't know if they've frozen his account, instructed the professors not to grade any submissions he turns in or what, but they're preventing a student from taking his last couple classes from graduating. I wonder if they'd do this for any other student that close to completing their degree. Once he completes the classes and meets his requirements for his BA/BS, he'd be free to go do whatever - go to the NFL, go get a job in the private sector, as someone with his degree. The way the NCAA does things, he'd also be able to go to KU as a graduate student to start a course of study that would not be available at Miami as a graduate student and KU would trade the costs of his schooling and living for his efforts on the field as an athlete. I don't think anyone expects he would be a serious student, and I'm kind of bothered that KU has graduate degree programs that will open their roles up to students who aren't serious students, but I allow that maybe, indeed, these guys will attend classes and get some extra knowledge. In any case, KU is willing to accept him as a graduate student, but they can't accept him as that (I don't think) unless he's completed his undergraduate degree.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

As for cases where a transfer is the case, I think those rules are wrong as well. If a student wants to transfer, I don't think there should be the one year penalty to sit out - I've never seen a good justification for that. Students transfer from one school to another for a whole host of reasons - deciding that they don't like the professors in their department (somewhat akin to not liking the coaching staff), deciding that they're homesick, deciding that they'd rather be farther away from home, their girl(boy)friend goes to a different school, they want to change majors to something not offered, and they don't have to suffer any penalty. Coaching staffs don't have to sit out a year, so they can change but their students athletes are stuck - and it winds up taking them five years to complete four years of classes, which can be three which we've seen with many athletes taking summer and online courses to get ahead.

Miami is being a jerk University here - maybe Harwell has hurt their fee-fees, but the University is being worse here, preventing a student from graduating when it sounds like the student is meeting their obligations.

Jim Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

Irony: reclaiming your cap and gown from your girlfriend's car, which leads to your arrest, which leads to the school you intended to graduate from blocking you from ever officially using said reclaimed cap and gown.

Hammertoe 1 year, 3 months ago

Mizzou has a $200 million plan for athletic upgrades. K-State is spending $75 Million to upgrade their football stadium...... -State won Big 12 Championships in Football (ku never), Baseball (ku never) and Basketball on smaller budgets than ku. The jayhawks need to get on board to forever be known as just a Basketball School.

kay_you 1 year, 3 months ago

Hammertroll, get with the program.

Wildcat sees the light, renounces all things purple, starts waving wheat http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jan...

dylans 1 year, 3 months ago

Umm, KU's women's track won a stinking

National Title.

Not too shabby.

BringBackMark 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, I was going to say it but I usually get hammered when I question these fifth year senior transfers. Why waste a scholarship. You're absolutely right, baggage for one years eligibility? When this transfer story first broke it was almost assured that he'd graduated and would be immediately eligible. Now he's got a bunch of online classes to take to graduate..... Let's build a program on solid kids that can be developed. For two years now Weis has thrown away scholarships trying the "quick fix". I say if we win less than 6 this year its time for Zenger to step in and change the direction of recruiting. We're going to be in shambles by the time Weis decides to move on to his next gig.

Jason Sinclair 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow, some people are really not too smart.

Weis hasn't "thrown away" any scholarships. It's not like he's sitting there asking himself "Hum, should I get this proven 21 year old man - who will almost certainly be a starter, or should I take this stud four-star high school prospect who is just begging to come to KU?"

Rather the choice is between the proven, grown man or giving the scholarship to a walk-on caliber kid.

Unless the kid might be a team cancer, these 5th year graduate transfers are an absolute no-brainer.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Plus, it's a one-year deal. It doesn't lock up the scholarship like a raw recruit would (if there would even be a recruit still looking at this stage). I don't think he'd come to KU if he had to sit out a year - I think he'd probably just apply for the supplemental draft and do what any other student being screwed by their university would.

I realize we're hearing just one side of this, but a university preventing a student from taking the classes they need to graduate, especially online classes, is a black eye for the university. If he can't do the work due to academics, that's one thing. To not let him even take the class (apparently an approved path for his degree) when he wasn't dismissed from the university itself is really poor.

MiamiU 1 year, 3 months ago

C...Just to make sure you folks hear the entire story...He was kicked off the football team and expelled from the University. An expelled student can not take classes again there. Kansas and every other school would do the same. There are no special rules for expelled student-athletes.

Miami bent over backwards for Nick to keep him in line. Nick had other ideas.

He's a great football talent but also lacks discipline off the field. FIVE arrests not to mention the "non-arrests."

Cliff Leiker 1 year, 3 months ago

BringBackMark,

Hey guy, you don't get it, Mark isn't coming back to coach this program. Mark benefited greatly in 2007/2008 from a great defensive coordinator in Bill Young. In all honesty, I think Bill was the reason we did so well. If you recall, the program started to slide once Bill left. KU is lucky to have Coach Weis at the helm. Let him build the program. Finally, instead of being a sour sad sap, why don't you start generating some positive energy and support the men who are trying to raise up the football program (i.e., Weis and Zenger).

Brandon Mahon 1 year, 3 months ago

Weis is just taking risk. Sometimes it takes a few risk to get to where we want to go. We have had one player get in real big trouble. This harwell situation is just a risk, and if Miami will let him leave we will reap the benefits and you will see it. You have to remember this are college kids, they are going to get in a little trouble.

David Leathers 1 year, 3 months ago

A couple random thoughts before the night is over:

1) The only thing more annoying than the Google surveys are the people complaining about them.

2) Harwell is a great addition to the team... He is no Chris Martin.

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 3 months ago

I was a bit confused at first before reading the article, then realized I had to answer a few questions before reading the full article. Yea, it's a pain, but at least it doesn't require a credit card, for example; jayhawk slant, espn.com. Sometimes I wonder why people over analyze things and go completely nuts over a few clicks. Since you had to answer a few questions you want to abolish the kusports site and forever disregard its existence? Grow up people! In the battle of humans and technology, technology will always win. Either accept it or .... Terminator 5.

JHawksfan23 1 year, 3 months ago

Okay, here's where I'm at, I am a die-hard KU fan who will stand behind any KU team win or lose. I'm not sure why some self-proclaimed KU "fans" are saying we should dissolve KU football. I don't know about you guys, but Saturdays on the Hill are a tradition I would hate to lose. Memorial Stadium, at the foot of Campanille Hill is a heck of an atmosphere, and though I hate losing, I have a blast at KU football games. HCCW is changing the culture of KU football while Dr. Zenger is changing the culture of the whole athletics department. Yes, we currently are a basketball school, but let's give the other sports some time to improve before we beg to dissolve the money making sport that is ultimately the deciding factor in conference realignment...c'mon people be sensible!

Leo Hawkins 1 year, 3 months ago

Why would we dissolve the football program? College Football programs in the BIG 12 level do not dissolve the program. That's just idiotic.

MiamiU 1 year, 3 months ago

In case anybody missed this reply...

Miami bent over backwards for Nick to keep him in line. Nick had other ideas.