Wednesday, July 3, 2013

KU football adds offensive lineman for 2013 season

With the 2013 season just two months away, the Kansas University football program is still adding bodies to its 2013 recruiting class.

Late Wednesday, KU announced the addition of El Camino Community College offensive lineman Pearce Slater, a 6-foot-8, 340-pound tackle who chose KU over offers from Arizona State, Texas Tech and Utah.

Many expected the athletic big man to be a December graduate and enroll at the college of his choice in January in time for spring ball prior to the 2014 season. However, Slater fast-tracked his junior-college graduation and will report to KU in August in time for most of fall camp. He will have three years of eligibility remaining.

KU was one of the first schools to offer Slater a scholarship, and the early interest along with continued energy from assistant coaches Jeff Blasko and Tim Grunhard and head coach Charlie Weis made quite an impression.

"I am very excited to get to Kansas and compete," Slater told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. "The coaches told me I could help right away but I know I have to get in there and work. I have to see what it is like to adjust. Coming from junior college to Division I, there will be an adjustment but I am ready for it."

According to Kirby, who has covered KU football recruiting for more than a decade, Slater would have been one of the top junior college offensive line prospects in the country in the Class of 2014. Now, he'll enter the fall competing for playing time on a Big 12 offensive line.

Slater is a three-star prospect according to both Rivals.com and JCFootball.com. He is the 55th-rated junior college prospect according to 247Sports.com, including ranking as the 10th best offensive tackle and the 16th best prospect in the state of California.

He becomes the fifth offensive lineman and 21st junior-college pick-up in KU's 2013 class.

Comments

Dirk Medema 9 months, 2 weeks ago

This sounds a lot like the CB/DB? from Pierce that was supposed to be coming, though I can't find him listed anywhere any more, and getting Darrian after the fact. Weren't there also some other late additions to the recruiting class?

Lonnie Snow 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks Kingfisher for the help, I'm on it. His name is Julian Santos FYI.

kugrad93 9 months, 2 weeks ago

If you hadn't noticed, newspapers are dying. Some have stopped being daily. Some have gone to online only. Some have gone out of business. The Sun Times recently laid off its entire photo department. You guys are crying about an ad that goes away in one click. This is a FREE web site that is supported by ADS. By all means, let's get rid of the ads and make it a subscription service instead. Cause you would all pay for it, right?

Lonnie Snow 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I love the size yes he still must play but it's better than the 250 kids we had to beef up to play now it's like we hv to train them rather than trying to make them fit. PS I live in Florida I have a young man who is very close to my family especially my son who is 15 years old 317lbs only played 1 year of football about to start soph. Year has had several coaches from almost every sec team meet him. Do any of you know who I can text to put him on KU radar. Signed a floridian Jayhawk !

Danny Hernandez 9 months, 2 weeks ago

complain, complain, complain. I'm beginning to think that is most of the posters middle names here. The questions don't faze me in the least. just answer the fricking questions and move forward. Gee, not like they're asking for your first born though if they complain like a lot of you, they too won't want them.

Enjoy your fourth of July wherever you are

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Warren Buffett said that the dumbest thing that newspapers ever did was to give their content away for free. My god, you guys are a bunch of babies.

Coming from an old "ad" guy, the surveys - when taken in whole - actually have the net effect of reducing poorly targeted ads, spam, etc. No advertiser in the world wants to spend money on people who have no interest in their products.

Now....can we get back to discussing the mountain of a man that Charlie just signed? Runningbeakers84 comment, above, is a good place to start.

iamakufan 9 months, 2 weeks ago

6-8, 340. As my wife just said when I read that to her... that's not a person, that's a wall!

Looking forward to this year's football season. Keep adding guys like this and the others added this season!

WindmillGIANT 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Jeez, just because LJWorld is basically pimping its viewers to advertisers everyone is getting all upset. In seriousness though, if you didn't know already, most webpages are already loaded with trackers that gather your web-use info and then sell it off to advertisers. There are software programs that can block those trackers, for example, one I use is ghostery. I'm not a fan of this kind of tracking, but I'm sure some futurist on here will extol the wonders of technology and how it is being harnessed to better sell us junk we don't want or need.

bigboypants 9 months, 2 weeks ago

These google questionnaires are BS. While I can tolerate, barely, the ads surrounding a story on the sceen having to click-thru an irrelevant, unrelated, inane survey (toasters, really...???) to finish reading about an offensive lineman is ridiculous!

actorman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Love the size! Nice get this close to the season.

JHWKDW 9 months, 2 weeks ago

We got some big boys coming to play on the offensive line don't we?

drum1984 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish I could find whatever individual came up with this new online ad strategy so I could punch them in the face.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 months, 2 weeks ago

You guys are right! I'll get my jayhawk football news elsewhere. Take this story for example, it obviously going to be the lead story on sportscenter and main headline on sportsillistrated.com. Why would I ever return to this sure again when so many more/better options exist for football insider info?

Oh, and...

Charlie don't play

Randy Bombardier 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Looks like we got a steal. If he is the 55th overall prospect he must be in the top 5 for his position.

Pitthawk34 9 months, 2 weeks ago

6'8 340...Hope he has good footwork. As for the google questions..no big deal just hit whatever button possible...LJW needs to make a buck just like the rest of us.

Steve Hilker 9 months, 2 weeks ago

That is a large man! Hopefully he can play. What I like, is we seem to be getting guys that the ASU's, TTU's etc... are after. Rather than Wyoming, Tulsa and Colorado States.

kef104 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder how long it will take existing advertisers to flee once they figure out fewer people are using ljworld now. The obnoxious google questions make reading an article an arduous task.