Tuesday, July 2, 2013

KU basketball notebook: 2014 prospect Pope cuts list

Pope trims list: Malik Pope, a 6-foot-8, 205-pound senior small forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif., who is ranked No. 14 in the recruiting Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, on Tuesday narrowed his large list of schools to nine.

Of Pope, Rivals.com assessed: “Pope is a long, versatile wing player who can create off the dribble, get into the lane, shoot the rock and get his teammates the ball.”

Pope fractured his tibia in February and missed the end of his junior season.

“The injury has not slowed down my recruitment,” Pope told Rivals.com. “The injury is doing pretty well. I’m not really sure what the percentage is as far when I’ll come back and be back to full strength.”

Summer session: The dates for the 2013 summer recruiting evaluation period will be July 10-14, July 17-21 and July 24-28.

Of KU, ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein wrote: “Coming off the best recruiting class of his career in 2013, Bill Self has a ton of momentum on his side. That said, he can’t afford to rest on his laurels now since the price of recruiting such a talented incoming class is the potential to lose more than one of them (Andrew Wiggins is a virtual given) after just one season. That’s why Self and his staff have come out swinging for the fences in the Class of 2014, targeting seven of the top 15 players in the ESPN 100. With the Jayhawks after three of the country’s best big men in No. 1 recruit Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young), No. 2 Cliff Alexander (6-8, Chicago Curie) and No. 10 Myles Turner (6-11, Trinity High, Euless, Texas), Self’s whereabouts in July are going to be very revealing.” KU is also after No. 3 Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley (Minn.) High; No. 5 Emmanuel Mudiay (6-5, Prime Prep Academy, Arlington, Texas); No. 11 Rashad Vaughn (6-6, Robbinsdale Cooper High, Minneapolis, Minn.) and No. 15 Justise Winslow (6-5, Saint John’s, Houston).

Large list for Turner: Turner will soon cut his list from about 50 schools to 25, according to Zagsblog.com. He hopes to slice the list to 10 by the end of July.

“His mom and I would love him to stay local,” his dad, David, told Zagsblog.com. “High school is one thing, college is another, and the NBA is a whole other level. I see Myles as going to a school that’s going to offer him the best opportunity.”

This, that: KU will likely have between two and five scholarships to give next recruiting season. Memphis transfer Tarik Black, a senior, and freshman Wiggins are locks to leave. Other possibilities for early entries in the NBA Draft could include freshmen Wayne Selden and Joel Embiid and soph Perry Ellis. ... KU will not have any of its current players working this weekend’s LeBron James camp in Ohio. Jeff Withey worked the camp a year ago.

Winless for Wiggins: There’s been post-NBA draft talk that the Boston Celtics — and maybe some other teams like the Toronto Raptors — will be trying to “tank” next season in order to get a good shot at Wiggins in the draft lottery.

“The draft is already being touted as the best in a decade, with standouts including Andrew Wiggins, whose talent has drawn raves from Kevin Durant; Jabari Parker, perhaps the most fundamentally sound and skilled player to come out in five years; and Marcus Smart, the standout swingman from Oklahoma State who stunned NBA executives by returning for his sophomore year,” writes Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.

“Any of those three would look lovely in green and immediately become the central figure in (GM) Danny Ainge’s rebuilding plan, but there is no guarantee that even if the Celtics were to “develop” this season that they would land a precious top-five pick (because of luck involved in lottery).”

“Tanking, I think, is ridiculous,” Ainge told the Boston Globe.

Huskers hire Owens: Teddy Owens, the son of former KU coach Ted Owens, has been named administrative coordinator for the University of Nebraska basketball program. He will assist in daily operations, on-campus recruiting and student-athlete outreach on campus. Owens spent the last two years working as a graduate assistant for Lon Kruger at Oklahoma.

Comments

Nick Cole 9 months, 3 weeks ago

PART 2:

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Matt Tait wrote: Kansas is a state. Simply saying Kansas would be too vague given that so many things in our paper refer to "Kansas" i.e. government, various organizations and departments, etc.

We have to specify that we're talking about the university and that's the way our policy dictates we do it. As I said, no malice, no feud, just our style.

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Nick wrote: True, and I'm not trying to stir things up, but you often refer to other state schools just by the name of the state, particularly in articles about recruiting. Here is an example for your reference.

In the second paragraph, there are 5 state schools listed including Kansas, but the other four are simply referred to by only the name of the state. However, the author, Gary Bedore in this case, chose to still add "University" after Kansas here. It seems unnecessary and this is the kind of thing that offends readers. They feel it is done deliberately simply to annoy us. And do be honest, if the reasoning you gave me in the first response is the reason your bosses use to justify this decision, it is a completely unjustified reasoning. It seems to me that your bosses need to update their policies to be current with the times. If this is a problem with your bosses and the University of Kansas, I would love the opportunity to discuss this with them as it seems they are the driving force behind this unnecessary journalistic style.

Thanks again,

Nick

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Matt Tait wrote: I assure you, it's not done intentionally or to annoy anyone. Just following company policy. Take care.

Nick Cole 9 months, 3 weeks ago

PART 1:

Where is the comment I left earlier? Oh well, it was nothing special. This, however, is. I sent an email to Matt Tait about the usage of "Kansas University" on this site. I've copied our email string below. Enjoy. And I hope this doesn't get removed by the staff.

On Jul 3, 2013, at 8:15 PM, Nick wrote: Matt,

I am curious, as many posters are based on the comments sections for articles, why do writers for the Lawrence Journal World insist on referring to the University of Kansas as Kansas University? Even in places where simply writing "Kansas" would be appropriate, every writer insists on adding "University" after, and it actually seems to offend some people who read this site, particularly on KUSports.com. I don't know if this is a company policy, but I am just curious as to the reasoning behind using Kansas University as opposed to University of Kansas or just Kansas. Please, can you fill me in so I'm not left in the dark on this issue? Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Nick (BleedCandB)

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Matt Tait wrote: It is company policy and that's what our bosses ask us to do. Simple as that.

According to what I've been told, it was not until the 60s or 70s that folks at the school itself started calling it the University of Kansas. So for most of its history, it has been referred to as Kansas University, which also falls in line with AP Style in that the initials K.U. stand for Kansas University. If we were to follow AP style on University of Kansas, it would force us to refer to the school, instead, as U.K. and I don't think that would sit well with anybody in Lawrence or Lexington.

It's not meant to be offensive. Not trying to be difficult. Just doing what our bosses ask and staying consistent with our style.

Take care. - Matt

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Nick wrote:
Thanks for the reply Matt. If this is the case, why not just say "Kansas" and omit the "University" part where it allows? Just curious, as it would seem to flow better within a sentence. Do your bosses not allow you to say just Kansas? And is this some sort of feud your bosses have with KU, as your publication is literally the only one who still says Kansas University? Thanks for the clarification.

johninkc1 9 months, 3 weeks ago

This if awful, you have to answer stupid questions in order to see the article. LJW, this must stop or I may not return.

Jack Wilson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Brad Stevens to the Celtics? What?

Ralster Jayhawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I wonder if Kansas will get visited by the Pope...

Chris Shaw 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Yo Yo Yo...UManBig in da house!

bville_hawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

For those of you complaining about the brief google poll you have to respond to to view an entire article, I am guessing that if you would purchase an online subscription to the LJW that you would be spared the inconvenience.

Sam Constance 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Also Marcus Smart is not a swingman. I also think he will struggle in the NBA unless he majorly improves his shooting ability this coming season.

It's not easy to be a PG in the NBA if you can't shoot. In fact, the only guys who do it with consistent success are players who are SO good at everything else that it doesn't matter. See: Rajon Rondo and Derrick Rose

Sam Constance 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a piece of advice to KUSports (aka, the World Company):

Feel free to require people to fill out some random survey or share your page in order to see all of the content on the article, but this is one user who refuses to participate. One is no big deal, but I can tell you with each subsequent article that puts content behind some sort of gate is one step closer to me not visiting this site for content any longer.

Tony Bandle 9 months, 3 weeks ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] I refused to take the poll...reading the posters complaints was much more entertaining anyway.

2] This will be a PIVOTAL season for Kansas and HCBS..if Andrew excels as expected and shows that the University of Kansas is a place where selected OADs can thrive, the recruiting flood gates will open and we will have momnetum for the next decade.

3] Perry Ellis will surprise everyone twice this year......he will be a breakout player and he will stay in school.

4] In my humble opinion, among all the Flash and Dash of this fantastic crop of Jayhawks, the key to this season remains one Naadir Tharpe!! We saw glimpses of it last season. The mantle of leadership will fall on his shoulders...I think he will wear it well!!

5] WHAT THE HELL ARE ANALYTICS...AND WHY SHOULD I CARE!!!!???? :)

jgkojak 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Ellis will probably be overshadowed next year by Wiggins (duh) and Selden.

He'll put up solid 14ppg numbers, but probably won't be in the 1st round conversation until his Jr year. Due to his size, I expect he has a lower first-round ceiling so its pretty likely it doesn't hurt him to be here 4 years.

jhawkrulz 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I really think that Perry Ellis will have the sophomore slump, more because Jeff Withey (our best center under Self) left. Withey was double teamed underneath nearly every possession. I don't think Black or Embiid will have that kind of attention right off. I still think Ellis will come off the bench on a lot of games.

I'm not saying Ellis won't score and I'm not saying he won't have great games, but I do think there will be some consistency problems.

I know I am in the minority with this opinion, but I hope I am wrong.

Brian Mensch 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I can't wait to enjoy Wiggins and Selden this next year.

Embiid, I think fits in the category of a "7 foot crazy athletic dude". Drafting is based on two things...youth and athleticism. He may not the most refined player but the NBA can teach a shot. At least that's the premise going in, until the summer league ends and the player gets pushed aside for the rest of the season, and/or career. Embiid's stock will never be higher after this year.

I hope Perry stays...fun to watch. Can tell after his first dribble if it's going to be a good possession or a turnover. Also, I love how he shoots. Not sure how he does it...but I'm convinced he could lob a full court shot, hit the back of the rim, but instead of careening off to the three point line like 99% of all the shots do, his would merely bounce straight up 1 inch and fall lazily thru the hoop.

Black is all well and good, but seriously, all I am looking for from him is 7-9 minutes a game to set screens, stop 3 to 4 drives a with hard fouls, offensive rebound and pass to the corner for a Frankamp three.

Perchance it's just me; but, I'm really excited to see Landen Lucas. 21 / 14 kid in high school and 4 blocks/game. A year practicing in the system, 6'10" and 240 pounds. He's intriguing me the most.

That's my stream of consciousness babbling. Happy 4th!

Ian Emerson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Hmmm, DudeSkinnyKansas, it's time for a name change. We have three frosh that could leave after this year, Embiid SHOULD stay but you all know how that goes. To be honest it would not surprise me in the least if Wayne jumps if he has a good year. Already has an NBA body so why not make the transition?

clevelandjayhawker 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Was Wiggins eligible for the lebron camp? odd that he wasnt invited

Cameron Cederlind 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Justise Winslow . . . wait . . . Did Carl get promoted from Captain to Judge?

SDSurferFan 9 months, 3 weeks ago

SDSU in the mix. Yeah!

So Rivals, what your telling us is that Pope can dribble, run, shoot, AND pass. Also, he is tall. All very important skills!

Hieronymous2012 9 months, 3 weeks ago

One and Done Two and Through Three and Flee Four no More.

Ah yes, a dull morning.

Timmay97 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I would be SHOCKED if Embid was gone after this year. Nobody knows the future, but it seems to me that Ellis and Black have the 4 and 5 locked up as starters. Therefore, Embid would be coming off the bench ala Kaun during KU's championship season. As stated in the column.......Wiggins and Black are obviously gone.

This sets up KU quite well for the next 3 years. We can cover Black's departure easily with Hunter coming on board (with practice and experience on his side). As for Wiggins.....assuming Seldon stays and we pick up one more STUD recruit, I don't see how KU would backtrack next year. If anything, they would get stronger, with or without Wiggins.

We can all agree that this is a truly exciting time for Kansas basketball. Only 4 of the longest months of our lives.

Jack Wilson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Doesn't coach Self know that players ratings don't mean anything? I mean, look at all of the top rated players he's pursuing .. Self's "targeting seven of the top 15 players in the ESPN 100." I always find it amazing how the top rated guys seem to be the guys that Self tries to recruit, particularly when the guys at Rivals, etc., don't know anything about talent and players. Interesting.

OChawk 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Am I the only one that is being forced to take a survey to read this? Seriously, I'll hit Phog and read what's being regurgitated here I guess. No wonder why newspapers are dying off...

Ken Sedgwick 9 months, 3 weeks ago

I would bet everything I own Perry Ellis will play three years.

Ian Emerson 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Seriously though, who even cares? And why?

Phil Leister 9 months, 3 weeks ago

"The list consists of Kansas University, Arizona, Washington, UCLA, USC, San Diego State, Oregon, Gonzaga and California."

One of these is not like the other one. Why's it so hard to be consistent, Journal Lawrence World?