Tuesday, July 2, 2013

KU basketball notebook: 2014 prospect Pope cuts list

Pope trims list: Malik Pope, a 6-foot-8, 205-pound senior small forward from Laguna Creek High in Elk Grove, Calif., who is ranked No. 14 in the recruiting Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, on Tuesday narrowed his large list of schools to nine.

Of Pope, Rivals.com assessed: “Pope is a long, versatile wing player who can create off the dribble, get into the lane, shoot the rock and get his teammates the ball.”

Pope fractured his tibia in February and missed the end of his junior season.

“The injury has not slowed down my recruitment,” Pope told Rivals.com. “The injury is doing pretty well. I’m not really sure what the percentage is as far when I’ll come back and be back to full strength.”

Summer session: The dates for the 2013 summer recruiting evaluation period will be July 10-14, July 17-21 and July 24-28.

Of KU, ESPN’s Adam Finkelstein wrote: “Coming off the best recruiting class of his career in 2013, Bill Self has a ton of momentum on his side. That said, he can’t afford to rest on his laurels now since the price of recruiting such a talented incoming class is the potential to lose more than one of them (Andrew Wiggins is a virtual given) after just one season. That’s why Self and his staff have come out swinging for the fences in the Class of 2014, targeting seven of the top 15 players in the ESPN 100. With the Jayhawks after three of the country’s best big men in No. 1 recruit Jahlil Okafor (6-10, Chicago Whitney Young), No. 2 Cliff Alexander (6-8, Chicago Curie) and No. 10 Myles Turner (6-11, Trinity High, Euless, Texas), Self’s whereabouts in July are going to be very revealing.” KU is also after No. 3 Tyus Jones (6-1, Apple Valley (Minn.) High; No. 5 Emmanuel Mudiay (6-5, Prime Prep Academy, Arlington, Texas); No. 11 Rashad Vaughn (6-6, Robbinsdale Cooper High, Minneapolis, Minn.) and No. 15 Justise Winslow (6-5, Saint John’s, Houston).

Large list for Turner: Turner will soon cut his list from about 50 schools to 25, according to Zagsblog.com. He hopes to slice the list to 10 by the end of July.

“His mom and I would love him to stay local,” his dad, David, told Zagsblog.com. “High school is one thing, college is another, and the NBA is a whole other level. I see Myles as going to a school that’s going to offer him the best opportunity.”

This, that: KU will likely have between two and five scholarships to give next recruiting season. Memphis transfer Tarik Black, a senior, and freshman Wiggins are locks to leave. Other possibilities for early entries in the NBA Draft could include freshmen Wayne Selden and Joel Embiid and soph Perry Ellis. ... KU will not have any of its current players working this weekend’s LeBron James camp in Ohio. Jeff Withey worked the camp a year ago.

Winless for Wiggins: There’s been post-NBA draft talk that the Boston Celtics — and maybe some other teams like the Toronto Raptors — will be trying to “tank” next season in order to get a good shot at Wiggins in the draft lottery.

“The draft is already being touted as the best in a decade, with standouts including Andrew Wiggins, whose talent has drawn raves from Kevin Durant; Jabari Parker, perhaps the most fundamentally sound and skilled player to come out in five years; and Marcus Smart, the standout swingman from Oklahoma State who stunned NBA executives by returning for his sophomore year,” writes Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe.

“Any of those three would look lovely in green and immediately become the central figure in (GM) Danny Ainge’s rebuilding plan, but there is no guarantee that even if the Celtics were to “develop” this season that they would land a precious top-five pick (because of luck involved in lottery).”

“Tanking, I think, is ridiculous,” Ainge told the Boston Globe.

Huskers hire Owens: Teddy Owens, the son of former KU coach Ted Owens, has been named administrative coordinator for the University of Nebraska basketball program. He will assist in daily operations, on-campus recruiting and student-athlete outreach on campus. Owens spent the last two years working as a graduate assistant for Lon Kruger at Oklahoma.

Comments

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

"The list consists of Kansas University, Arizona, Washington, UCLA, USC, San Diego State, Oregon, Gonzaga and California."

One of these is not like the other one. Why's it so hard to be consistent, Journal Lawrence World?

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, dongKonkey, things certainly won't change with THAT attitude. I shall never cease to fight this.

Sae Thirtysix 1 year, 2 months ago

Stylistically - it should be Dongkonkey. GBedore would even know that.

Hurinfan 1 year, 2 months ago

Why do people care at all? It affects nothing.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

kD, I think he meant that one of those schools listed is an elite basketball program and the rest are pretenders.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

How about this? Those who care, hit the thumbs up on HawkOverseas comment, and thse who don't care hit thumbs up for Konkeydong's comment. We can take a vote here and now.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice. Currently 21-8 in favor of KD. Sounds about right.

andersonalex 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, if you're considering it a popularity contest, it simply comes down to who has more votes. But in business you stop and think when you realize 30% of your readers are annoyed by something you're doing. After all, it isn't that 70% WANT it to read Kansas University, but rather 70% don't care either way - you're not going to make them angry if you fix it. But here we're seeing that nearly 1 in 3 readers are put off by the practice. That should be enough to make them think twice.

KGphoto 1 year, 2 months ago

Well then if the 30% would stop supporting who they are fighting by coming here (click), reading the articles (click, click), and commenting on those articles to complain (click, click, click) they might start accomplishing something.

LJW doesn’t care if they annoy the customer as long as they keep coming back. That’s business! Especially if they come back and start a 50 comment thread every time the issue is brought forward.

You don’t fight something like this in a comment section of an article. Get organized. Walk into the office of LJW with your beef and have a dialogue with the editor. If that doesn’t work, start a petition or SOMETHING! They’ve already responded in this arena, and guess what? Nothing is going to change this way. The 30% will have to get off the arse and make a real effort, or live with "Kansas University”.

But honestly, why bother? If the university itself doesn’t even take issue with it, why should we? It’s silly.

justinryman 1 year, 2 months ago

And if those schools were listed correctly it would be in alphabetical order, unless the kid was quoted or listed them by the schools he liked. So the list would look like this:

Arizona, California, Gonzaga, Kansas, Oregon, San Diego State, UCLA, USC, and Washington.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

andersonalex, well said. My issue here is the fact that they go out of their way to write Kansas University, while the other schools have "university" eliminated. Kansas would be acceptable. It's about consistency. If they're going to incorrectly call us Kansas University, they need to do the same for every university.

NJHAWK 1 year, 2 months ago

Both my degree certificates states that I received my degrees from the University of Kansas and not Kansas University. Did the university recently change the name on the degree certificates? Is it possible that the staff members on this site have not received a degree from the University of Kansas, not KU alumini and therefore do not know that it is called University of Kansas?

David Leathers 1 year, 2 months ago

The writers write "Kansas University" because their boss tells them to. Their boss probably prefers "Kansas University" on this website because it is kuSPORTS.com. When is the last time you saw a hat, t-shirt, or any other fan gear without "KU" branded upon it.

Ian Emerson 1 year, 2 months ago

Seriously though, who even cares? And why?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I see your point, DudeSkinnyKansas.........

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

I care, and so should you. So should konkeyDong and everyone else. The question shouldn't be, "who cares?" The question should be is it worth bringing up when the JLW has indicated it has no inclination to change its policy. Frankly, I have no problem with anyone bringing it to our attention. I don't feel the need to do it each time I see the JLW write Kansas University instead of the University of Kansas, or just Kansas, but I don't begrudge those who do.

But if you don't care about this, why would you care about whether KU uses the Trajan font? Why would you care if the Jayhawk was printed with a blue head instead of a red one? Why would it matter if I bought a sweatshirt that had UK, but a picture of a Jayhawk? We all know what they mean, right? Who cares if it isn't right?

I earned both of my degrees from The University of Kansas, of which I am extremely proud. That is what is on my degree that is framed and hanging on my wall. "The University of Kansas" Not "Kansas University." I root for "ol' KU!" Not "ol' UK!" The Crimson and Blue. Not the Blue and Crimson. I am a Jayhawk from the University of Kansas.

If I graduated from Michigan and someone said Michigan University, I would be angry. If I graduated from Texas and someone called it Texas University, I would be ticked. If I graduated from Oklahoma and someone called it Oklahoma University, I would be angry. Get the point?

This is my school. I have pride in it. Just because some stupid grudge a business owner has with my school doesn't mean that I shouldn't care if he disrespects it.

I love my alma mater, and it's called the University of Kansas. Rock Chalk!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Living in ohio I now hate the word "THE" when it has ephasis, im glad we dont do that at the University of Kansas

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

Point well made, although my diploma does list "The" at the beginning. Still, I know that "The" is not part of the official name.

Ken Sedgwick 1 year, 2 months ago

I would bet everything I own Perry Ellis will play three years.

farnamjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

At least three..... Oh you mean at Kansas and not in the NBA. Sorry, I misunderstood. Monster sophmore season leads to lottery pick in 2014 for Ellis

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

Perry will stay until he graduates, likely at the end of his junior year, and then he will be going to the NBA. He was the valedictorian in high school, and he and his family are very education driven. Perry is the epitome of "student-athlete."

OChawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Am I the only one that is being forced to take a survey to read this? Seriously, I'll hit Phog and read what's being regurgitated here I guess. No wonder why newspapers are dying off...

dylans 1 year, 2 months ago

If they don't collect the data then why give the survey? Sounds fishy to me, kinda like Verizon's privacy policy. I'm gonna answer no or a to all questions.

ccarp 1 year, 2 months ago

I was wondering when that would start. Funny no comments available on the google article. I think it's an attempt to drive print subscriptions.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

No, but I suggest we always pick the first answer or the one on the left. This will skew the results and hopefully get rid of the promotion.

TxJyHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

The part that bothers me is that it states you may have to post some of it to Facebook or Twitter to be able to see all of the content.

If that is the case, they will lose LOTS of readership instead of getting more money

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

No, I think that's an option.

VancouverHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Listen to HawkOverseas. My browser blocks these, and I never see them.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

I spoke too soon. I've got adblock and just got a survey for the first time. Takes literally 1 second to click, but it's pretty much bullcrap if you ask me.

BayPark 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't understand why they'd alienate the very people they're trying to attract. It bugs me enough that I haven't yet taken the survey. I may start going elsewhere for my Jayhawk fix.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Doesn't coach Self know that players ratings don't mean anything? I mean, look at all of the top rated players he's pursuing .. Self's "targeting seven of the top 15 players in the ESPN 100." I always find it amazing how the top rated guys seem to be the guys that Self tries to recruit, particularly when the guys at Rivals, etc., don't know anything about talent and players. Interesting.

Timmay97 1 year, 2 months ago

I would be SHOCKED if Embid was gone after this year. Nobody knows the future, but it seems to me that Ellis and Black have the 4 and 5 locked up as starters. Therefore, Embid would be coming off the bench ala Kaun during KU's championship season. As stated in the column.......Wiggins and Black are obviously gone.

This sets up KU quite well for the next 3 years. We can cover Black's departure easily with Hunter coming on board (with practice and experience on his side). As for Wiggins.....assuming Seldon stays and we pick up one more STUD recruit, I don't see how KU would backtrack next year. If anything, they would get stronger, with or without Wiggins.

We can all agree that this is a truly exciting time for Kansas basketball. Only 4 of the longest months of our lives.

Hieronymous2012 1 year, 2 months ago

One and Done Two and Through Three and Flee Four no More.

Ah yes, a dull morning.

SDSurferFan 1 year, 2 months ago

SDSU in the mix. Yeah!

So Rivals, what your telling us is that Pope can dribble, run, shoot, AND pass. Also, he is tall. All very important skills!

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 2 months ago

Justise Winslow . . . wait . . . Did Carl get promoted from Captain to Judge?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Was Wiggins eligible for the lebron camp? odd that he wasnt invited

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

Wiggins has been to Lebron's Camp

Ian Emerson 1 year, 2 months ago

Hmmm, DudeSkinnyKansas, it's time for a name change. We have three frosh that could leave after this year, Embiid SHOULD stay but you all know how that goes. To be honest it would not surprise me in the least if Wayne jumps if he has a good year. Already has an NBA body so why not make the transition?

Ted Hume 1 year, 2 months ago

The biggest problem about who might jump is not knowing at all who is set to have the kind of year that would prompt a lottery selection, considering the competition for shots. For example, if Ellis and Wiggins, as expected, are going to take most of the shots and fill up the scoring column, and we know Tharp is going to shoot threes and get his 10 or so per game, then someone like Wayne just won't have the opportunity to have the kind of standout year, scoring-wise, to push him into that one-and-done stardom. That would make me think he is unlikely to be positioned to leave. Without Wiggins on this team, I could see Wayne having that kind of break-out offensively, right out of the gate, but Wiggins will suck the oxygen out of the room, so to speak.

Embiid is the true unknown, because he really fits the physical definition of a high-ceiling, draft on potential pick (unlike Selden). Again, it's a matter of whether he's ready to get the minutes, and does enough with them, to convince the NBA teams that a top-10 pick is a solid choice. I think if he's starting by January, then look out, he could shoot up the draft boards for sure..

So... chances that things unfold right for early departures, maybe? Ellis: 50-60% Embiid: 50-70% Selden: 10-20%

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

How would HCBS say it .... " The kid has not taken a shot yet and we are talking about his leaving".

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

If we win "the whole damn thing" then I could see us losing Perry, Embid and Wayne. But....next years draft will be stacked, prob the deepest draft in the last 20 years (on paper). I would have to think this will make coming back for one more year much more inviting.

Brian Mensch 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't wait to enjoy Wiggins and Selden this next year.

Embiid, I think fits in the category of a "7 foot crazy athletic dude". Drafting is based on two things...youth and athleticism. He may not the most refined player but the NBA can teach a shot. At least that's the premise going in, until the summer league ends and the player gets pushed aside for the rest of the season, and/or career. Embiid's stock will never be higher after this year.

I hope Perry stays...fun to watch. Can tell after his first dribble if it's going to be a good possession or a turnover. Also, I love how he shoots. Not sure how he does it...but I'm convinced he could lob a full court shot, hit the back of the rim, but instead of careening off to the three point line like 99% of all the shots do, his would merely bounce straight up 1 inch and fall lazily thru the hoop.

Black is all well and good, but seriously, all I am looking for from him is 7-9 minutes a game to set screens, stop 3 to 4 drives a with hard fouls, offensive rebound and pass to the corner for a Frankamp three.

Perchance it's just me; but, I'm really excited to see Landen Lucas. 21 / 14 kid in high school and 4 blocks/game. A year practicing in the system, 6'10" and 240 pounds. He's intriguing me the most.

That's my stream of consciousness babbling. Happy 4th!

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't wait to see Frankamp, Greene, Mason, Embiid, also ..

Rock Chalk

Ted Hume 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm intrigued to see what Lucas can bring too, but the problem with Lucas, from what I've seen from scrimmages, is that he's still sort of a lumbering, big-body center whose quickness will always be compromised by his size/weight and his lack of natural athleticism (I think he's probably an under-average athlete, quick-twitch and leaping- wise), and while conditioning and weight room work can help, it can't make up for what Embiid appears to possess- at least from accounts- natural above-average athleticism to go along with great length. This all makes me think that with this team's greatest strength being get-out-and-run, because you can't waste the one year we have with Wiggins, a more raw Embiid will be more effective- and he also looks to have the ability to be a true rim-protector like Jeff- if he get there quickly enough.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

I guess I would comment that a senior transfer like Black doesn't go somewhere to play 7-9 minutes per game.

And Self doesn't bring him in to do that.

In my opinion - Black was brought in to start; or at worst be first post off the bench. But likely to start for a while (pending Embiid's progress). Self did not feel comfortable with what he had in the post -- meaning, most specifically, if we didn't have Black, both Traylor and Lucas (at worst the 3 and 4 post guys) would be heavily relied upon. And Embiid is a freshman.

Black was brought in as an upgrade to the Traylor/Lucas options, and a hedge on Embiid's readiness. That seems most likely to me.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

I really think that Perry Ellis will have the sophomore slump, more because Jeff Withey (our best center under Self) left. Withey was double teamed underneath nearly every possession. I don't think Black or Embiid will have that kind of attention right off. I still think Ellis will come off the bench on a lot of games.

I'm not saying Ellis won't score and I'm not saying he won't have great games, but I do think there will be some consistency problems.

I know I am in the minority with this opinion, but I hope I am wrong.

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

The opponents are going to need 10 players to double team our starters this year. Don't worry about Ellis getting double teamed.. He will do just fine and I am sure he has no intention of taking a back seat to anyone anymore. He learned that lesson last year early. He now knows he has to be aggressive to get where he wants to go.

Rock Chalk

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Hmm .. I would guess that your are in the minority. That doesn't mean you're wrong. But it would seem to me that all evidence on the court has Ellis' trajectory arrow pointed skyward here, doesn't it?

But for an injury, I can't imagine Ellis not starting every game.

I guess I don't recall Withey being "double teamed underneath nearly every possession." I remember many times where he would get doubled, and some teams did it more than others. But the guy wasn't a huge offensive threat.

More importantly, I didn't associate Ellis' offensive production with Withey's presence. The key here is whether defenders can ignore a post player to help from below, or a perimeter player from the wing. And how effective Ellis might handle that.

And really, we know that there will be a lot of "first bounce" double teams on our 4s .. there always has been (except on KY). I think once Ellis shows he won't panic, that he can pass out of it effectively, or split the double sometimes, it won't be much of a factor.

But could teams really try to take away Ellis with constant double-teams? Sure. With this team, and our perimeter skills, I think I would invite that.

Robert Brock 1 year, 2 months ago

Ellis didn't do anything his freshman year. Therefore, he cannot have a sophomore slump.

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

Ellis will probably be overshadowed next year by Wiggins (duh) and Selden.

He'll put up solid 14ppg numbers, but probably won't be in the 1st round conversation until his Jr year. Due to his size, I expect he has a lower first-round ceiling so its pretty likely it doesn't hurt him to be here 4 years.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

RANDOM THOUGHTS.

1] I refused to take the poll...reading the posters complaints was much more entertaining anyway.

2] This will be a PIVOTAL season for Kansas and HCBS..if Andrew excels as expected and shows that the University of Kansas is a place where selected OADs can thrive, the recruiting flood gates will open and we will have momnetum for the next decade.

3] Perry Ellis will surprise everyone twice this year......he will be a breakout player and he will stay in school.

4] In my humble opinion, among all the Flash and Dash of this fantastic crop of Jayhawks, the key to this season remains one Naadir Tharpe!! We saw glimpses of it last season. The mantle of leadership will fall on his shoulders...I think he will wear it well!!

5] WHAT THE HELL ARE ANALYTICS...AND WHY SHOULD I CARE!!!!???? :)

Micky Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

I did too. What the hell was that about. Maybe they should ask, "do you want Obamacare repealed, or, do you want Obamacare repealed".

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Just a piece of advice to KUSports (aka, the World Company):

Feel free to require people to fill out some random survey or share your page in order to see all of the content on the article, but this is one user who refuses to participate. One is no big deal, but I can tell you with each subsequent article that puts content behind some sort of gate is one step closer to me not visiting this site for content any longer.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Update: if you comment on the site, the poll disappears

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

It's just one article per 24 hours, not every article.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Also Marcus Smart is not a swingman. I also think he will struggle in the NBA unless he majorly improves his shooting ability this coming season.

It's not easy to be a PG in the NBA if you can't shoot. In fact, the only guys who do it with consistent success are players who are SO good at everything else that it doesn't matter. See: Rajon Rondo and Derrick Rose

Ted Hume 1 year, 2 months ago

that and extreme quickness are so important for an NBA point. Sure, Smart is powerful and explosive, but is he elite point-guard quick, a' la' Rondo, Parker, etc.?

otaKU 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't know. I think Marcus Smart will be just fine in the NBA. He is sort of cut out of that Derrick Rose mold (minus the quickness). They are both big PG's who can pass, rebound, and drive. Rose has worked on his shot which I think Smart can as well in the league.

bville_hawk 1 year, 2 months ago

For those of you complaining about the brief google poll you have to respond to to view an entire article, I am guessing that if you would purchase an online subscription to the LJW that you would be spared the inconvenience.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Yo Yo Yo...UManBig in da house!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Brad Stevens to the Celtics? What?

johninkc1 1 year, 2 months ago

This if awful, you have to answer stupid questions in order to see the article. LJW, this must stop or I may not return.

Nick Cole 1 year, 2 months ago

PART 1:

Where is the comment I left earlier? Oh well, it was nothing special. This, however, is. I sent an email to Matt Tait about the usage of "Kansas University" on this site. I've copied our email string below. Enjoy. And I hope this doesn't get removed by the staff.

On Jul 3, 2013, at 8:15 PM, Nick wrote: Matt,

I am curious, as many posters are based on the comments sections for articles, why do writers for the Lawrence Journal World insist on referring to the University of Kansas as Kansas University? Even in places where simply writing "Kansas" would be appropriate, every writer insists on adding "University" after, and it actually seems to offend some people who read this site, particularly on KUSports.com. I don't know if this is a company policy, but I am just curious as to the reasoning behind using Kansas University as opposed to University of Kansas or just Kansas. Please, can you fill me in so I'm not left in the dark on this issue? Thanks for your time.

Cheers, Nick (BleedCandB)

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Matt Tait wrote: It is company policy and that's what our bosses ask us to do. Simple as that.

According to what I've been told, it was not until the 60s or 70s that folks at the school itself started calling it the University of Kansas. So for most of its history, it has been referred to as Kansas University, which also falls in line with AP Style in that the initials K.U. stand for Kansas University. If we were to follow AP style on University of Kansas, it would force us to refer to the school, instead, as U.K. and I don't think that would sit well with anybody in Lawrence or Lexington.

It's not meant to be offensive. Not trying to be difficult. Just doing what our bosses ask and staying consistent with our style.

Take care. - Matt

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Nick wrote:
Thanks for the reply Matt. If this is the case, why not just say "Kansas" and omit the "University" part where it allows? Just curious, as it would seem to flow better within a sentence. Do your bosses not allow you to say just Kansas? And is this some sort of feud your bosses have with KU, as your publication is literally the only one who still says Kansas University? Thanks for the clarification.

Nick Cole 1 year, 2 months ago

PART 2:

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:24 PM, Matt Tait wrote: Kansas is a state. Simply saying Kansas would be too vague given that so many things in our paper refer to "Kansas" i.e. government, various organizations and departments, etc.

We have to specify that we're talking about the university and that's the way our policy dictates we do it. As I said, no malice, no feud, just our style.

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Nick wrote: True, and I'm not trying to stir things up, but you often refer to other state schools just by the name of the state, particularly in articles about recruiting. Here is an example for your reference.

In the second paragraph, there are 5 state schools listed including Kansas, but the other four are simply referred to by only the name of the state. However, the author, Gary Bedore in this case, chose to still add "University" after Kansas here. It seems unnecessary and this is the kind of thing that offends readers. They feel it is done deliberately simply to annoy us. And do be honest, if the reasoning you gave me in the first response is the reason your bosses use to justify this decision, it is a completely unjustified reasoning. It seems to me that your bosses need to update their policies to be current with the times. If this is a problem with your bosses and the University of Kansas, I would love the opportunity to discuss this with them as it seems they are the driving force behind this unnecessary journalistic style.

Thanks again,

Nick

On Jul 3, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Matt Tait wrote: I assure you, it's not done intentionally or to annoy anyone. Just following company policy. Take care.

Nick Cole 1 year, 2 months ago

Here is the photo for reference.

Here is the photo for reference. by BleedCandB

Nick Cole 1 year, 2 months ago

This is the description of the above photo, courtesy of the AP:

Seven-year-old Newlin Hu takes a photograph of Yonghui Ho, right, and Ziaoyan Liu, left, next to a sunflower field near Tonganoxie, Kan., Tuesday, July 31, 2012. Yonghui is studying at the University of Kansas. The family is from a small town near Shanghai, China.

AP Photo / Orlin Wagner

See World Lawrence Journal, even the AP, who you claim to model your style after, types University of Kansas. So, what else ya' got?