Monday, July 1, 2013

Former KU guard Rio Adams transfers to Ohio

Kansas guard Rio Adams defends against Texas Tech guard Daylen Robinson during the second half of the second round of the Big 12 tournament on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Ohio University basketball coach Jim Christian announced the addition of former Kansas University guard Rio Adams in a release on Monday afternoon.

Adams, a 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard from Seattle, played in 24 games for KU a season ago, averaging 1.1 points per contest.

“We’re excited to have Rio as part of our program,” Christian said. “He’s played on two state championship teams in high school and at one of the preeminent programs in the country at Kansas. We’re looking forward to working with him over the next four years.”

After sitting out a year at Ohio, Adams will have three years of eligibility beginning in 2014-15.

Comments

GortHawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Is that " The Ohio". good luck to you Rio, hope you get to play there. #Gort

B0B 1 year, 2 months ago

We've known this for several weeks. Was it just never reported here because it wasn't official yet- or are you just filling space in the offseason with recycled news?

Brett McCabe 1 year, 2 months ago

I would have put money on either Oregon under Altman or under Enfield at USC. Seems like both of those programs could have taken on a little bit of a project. Ohio would probably have been about 103 on my prediction list.

This choice by Rio suggests that Bill was not providing a lot of endorsement support.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

Both excellent comments here .. Self plainly had a preference and Adams leaving was it. Freed up a scholarship. Adams going to Ohio was one of those things that is surprising, until it happens and you think about it; it then makes sense.

It is amazing to me how close he was to regular PT, with Tharpe on the edge early last season. He goes from the verge of being a KU rotation player last season and possible starter heading into 2013-14, to sitting out a year at "a" Ohio University.

For some reason, I don't know if he'll be happy in Ohio. Just a hunch that he won't be.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 2 months ago

He'll be "The" BMOC at "A" Ohio University. I think that is exactly what Rio wants. We have an obvious preference for elite programs, but Rio appears to have a greater preference for being important. I think it will be all he currently desires. In the end, when KU continues to win championships, and he stays in touch with a teammate or 2 to know about the lifelong benefits of persevering, he might second guess his decision even more than he did a month or so ago. For now though, "A" Ohio University fits him to a "T".

tdscpa 1 year, 2 months ago

I was not an English major at KU, but would that not be "an" Ohio University?

TommieSmithElbow 1 year, 2 months ago

Hope that it works out for you, and you get a great education, and set yourself up for the future. Not being a distraction here, and how Bill was able to use your scholarship, also benefits the future of our basketball program.

Thanks for your time as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk!

otaKU 1 year, 2 months ago

Ohio....definitely not closer to home.

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

• And now, the end is here And so Rio faces the final curtain My friend, He said it clear He stated his case, of which He's certain He's lived a life that's full He's travelling each and ev'ry highway And more, much more than this, He says he did it his way

• Regrets, he's had a few But then again, too many to mention He did what he thought he should do and saw it through with one exemption He failed to plan a charted course, each careless step along the byway And more, much more than this, He says he did it his way

• Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew When he bit off more than he could chew But through it all, when there was doubt He ate fake cereal and spit it out He faced it all and he stood tall and says he did it his way

• He loved, he laughed and cried He had his fill, his share of bench warming And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing To think he did all that And may I say, not in a shy way, Oh, no, oh, no, not Rio, in truth he did it Self's way

kureader 1 year, 2 months ago

slow day at the office? hahaha. posts like yours make this site entertaining! (but, don't quit your day job)

DCLawHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks for the laugh JayDoc. I think Rio's fake cereal eating will be my most lasting impression of him. Glad you included it in your lyrics.

Jay Krueger 1 year, 2 months ago

Brilliant. Btw, am I the only one who read that in The Shat's voice? Via https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDIBchVxSmE

Jason Keller 1 year, 2 months ago

Change your password so Jaybate won't be able to hack into your account anymore.

BPSkelly 1 year, 2 months ago

My guess is is grades were subpar, as it sounds like that was one of the issues Self had going with him. My guess is that was a hurdle for him wherever he wanted to go.

The MAC is notorious for its academics. The average MAC school has lower (in some cases far lower) grad rate amongst students over 4-5 years than almost any other conference out there. Im not bashing, but if you look at the stats it shows that. Grad rates among student-athletes are also lower there too.

My guess in the MAC was the only place that would take him. Hopefully he gets it together and graduates. Pro Ball would be nice too.

Good luck to him.

namohcan_99 1 year, 2 months ago

Best of luck to Rio! Hope he finds success at Ohio.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Nothing beats the time he did the robot and the bowl of cereal dances from the bench.

I feel bad for some of these guys, but its KU, you may not start or even play much as a freshman, but if you give it your all you will be apart of something special. No guarantees, but you can earn playing time....just no attitudes. His defense would have got him some PT this year. And the way he scored 11 points in 3 mins (against texas tech?) he showed promise.

Ohio U is a party school, he may not play but he will def have fun there.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 2 months ago

Stole this from a website that has at least 20 versions of inserted Rio's.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 2 months ago

marchphog88 posted website at bottom of the page

Sae Thirtysix 1 year, 2 months ago

Closer to home. Cereal tastes better in the Big O Hi O

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Wandering Rio, Meet Your New Coach, The Wandering Christian"

Long Island born and raised Jim Christian played for Dean Smith PG John Kuester at Boston U, then for Tom Penders at Rhode Island, then became an assistant for Ralph Willard at Western Kentucky aka Kurtis Townsend's alma mater, though it appears their paths did not cross there. Ralph Willard had been Rick Pitino's assistant at UK before going to WKU. Recall that Ralph Willard is back as Rick's right hand man at Louisville. I digress on Ralph Willard only because he shows up again in the game of musical coaching chairs.

Christian moved from WKU to assist Tom McConnell at St. Francis, PA (who incidentally seems to have disappeared) before rejoining Ralph Willard at WKU again, only to have Ralph jump and leave Christian with Matt Kilcullen, who Christian bailed on shortly to go to Miami of Ohio under Herb Sendek for a a year. Christian then jumped to Pitt for 3 years where he rejoined Ralph Willard. When Willard was replaced by Ben Howland, Christian moved to Kent State to assist Stan Heath, who had been Tom Izzo's assistant previously, and who quickly jumped to Arkansas and was replaced by Jim Christian in Christian's first head job--a six year run, after which Christian jumped to Texas Christian University to replace one time Roy Williams and KU assistant Neil Dougherty. A Christian coaching Texas Christian seemed kind of a heavenly fit. Alas, Jim Christian never quite turned TCU around and moved last year to Ohio U.

Usually, when I do these genealogies about the coaches KU players transfer to, I find either an Okie Baller connection, or a connection through an assistant on Self's staff.

Frankly, this time, I haven't got a clue.

Jim Christian, like Kevin Bacon, seems to connected to everyone at one degree of freedom, or another; everyone, that is, but the Okie Baller mafia.

But since I have gone to all this trouble, I am at least going to hazard a guess. I am going to say that since Adams is from the PNW, which has long been one of Kurtis Townsend's hot zones, Kurtis likely recruited Anrio to KU. In turn, when things went south at KU for Rio, and the grass proved not as green as Rio expected, perhaps Kurtis, who seems to know everyone everywhere, has a connection to Christian I missed and it was Kurtis that put Adams and Christian in touch.

Or maybe not.

Maybe the Okie Baller mafia is so extensive now, Jim Christian out of the amalgam of Sendek, Willard, et al, was the only way to go to get away from the Okie Baller Mafia.

Since I am kind of partial to the Okie Baller mafia, I like to think it was Kurtis, or Self, that found a home for Anrio, when all of the schools Anrio thought would want him, did not.

Whatever, its just a wild guess at this point.

One thing that is not a wild guess: Jim Christian has been a wandering Christian.

Haiku_Cuckoo 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't understand the harsh words for Ohio University. They have decent program. They made it to the Sweet 16 last year and they are no strangers to March Madness. The one thing I didn't like in any of this was Rio's foolish Twitter habits. I hope he smartens-up in that regard. Other than that, I hope he's a good fit for The Bobcats. I'm sure the fanbase there will show him a lot of love and he'll get the playing minutes he was looking for.

burnmu 1 year, 2 months ago

• 1 Haiku! Obviously no one watches the MAC, it's a good conference it just doesn't get any real coverage or love. Putting down Ohio for being in the MAC, is like saying Dayton's just "a" Ohio school, because you don't know that the A10 is a really good/fun basketball conference. Good for you Rio, Athens is amazing and I hope that you have a great experience there!

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio was a "just miss" for Bill Self and Co. I'd say that if he were a bit smarter or more savvy he would have developed into an outstanding Jayhawk. Academically impaired at time of recruitment, he was worth the gamble. I hope he takes enough away from the KU program that his star shines brightly wherever he should eventually play. Seems to me that a top level jc might have been his best move, so that his game would not suffer any more down time, and his transcript could have gained benefit. I am glad that another Div. 1 coach saw promise in him and was willing to risk the gamble. He still could become one heck of an exciting basketball player. As a side note, it is comforting to see that 2013 Kansas recruits appear to arrive with no academic issues.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Interesting they send us their talented but apparently troubled wide receiver, and the player to be named later in the trade is Rio Adams. Both have to sit out a year, just to then play for new (different) coaches. I wish both success.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

The WR came from Miami University, not Ohio.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks. Miami of Ohio. Ohio University. I'm sure they can keep them straight. As you're able to.

James Carithers 1 year, 2 months ago

Who was the kid who almost came to KU at the beginning of this past year, or rather came and left almost immediately? I want to say Milton Doyle? The name just popped into my head for some reason and I wondered if he's up to anything.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

You ever heard of Google. He transferred to Loyola of Chicago.

ku_foaf 1 year, 2 months ago

He had the shortest career of anyone one actually on the team that I can recall. Zach Peters wasn't much longer. Vince Askew was in Lawrence in summer '87 only long enough to cause some NCAA trouble, never enrolled at KU. I think Braeden Anderson did show up in Lawrence 2 years ago, but was ruled ineligible. If I recall, he was not allowed to attend class.

1 year, 2 months ago

Good luck in Ohio Rio.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio's attitude and Twitter problems aside, I will forever remember him for this thread, which had all my coworkers wondering why I was crying at work from laughing so hard when I first discovered it.

Rio Adams Likes Soup: http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=3725&t=11377153&p=1

The good stuff starts about halfway down the first page of the forum, and then goes on for quite a few pages of photoshopping hilarity.

kevz87 1 year, 2 months ago

On his facebook he must have spelled Ohio wrong. About a month ago he spelled it UNLV. Come on Rio make your mind up already.

Richard Benson 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio will get mad minutes at Ohio.