Kansas defeats West Virginia, 61-56

• 8 p.m., Jan. 28, 2013
  • WVU Coliseum, Morgantown, WV

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mono-dramatic: Jayhawks sloppy in new jerseys

Jeff Withey (5) shoots a hook shot around a defender as Kevin Young (40) positions for a rebound in the Jayhawks 61-56 win against the Mountaineers Monday night at West Virginia University.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over West Virginia

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 61-56 win over West Virginia on Jan. 28, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WVU

— Kansas University’s new “monochromatic” men’s basketball jerseys, created by adidas, will live to see another day.

“We don’t have to burn ’em since we won,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 61-56 victory over West Virginia on Monday night in WVU Coliseum.

“But I don’t know if we’ll wear ’em again,” Self added after a somewhat-scary game in which KU saw a 15-point first half lead dip to two in the second half.

Wearing blue tops and blue shorts and blue shoes with just a splash of red, the Jayhawks (19-1, 7-0) extended their winning streak to 18 games.

And they did it on a day they improved to No. 1 in one of the two national polls (USA Today). The Associated Press has KU at No. 2 behind Michigan.

“I like ’em,” KU center Jeff Withey said of the new jerseys, which all adidas schools have agreed to wear at least once. “It’s nice to have a little change now and then.”

Withey scored 13 points the first half in his new duds, helping KU to a 38-30 halftime advantage. He also had two of his game-high four blocks in the last 24 seconds, single-handedly making sure West Virginia didn’t cut into KU’s narrow 61-56 margin.

“My teammates did a good job getting me the ball early,” said Withey, who had 10 points as KU jumped to a 22-7 lead. “We didn’t want them to score late. Their guards decided the first time all game really to go inside, and I was able to get a couple blocks.”

Withey missed four of seven free throws on a night KU made 18 of 34.

“My free throws ... I’ve got to work on them more,” Withey said. “I don’t know if I’m rushing it or what. I’ve got to get in the gym and shoot 200 free throws and get it right.”

Self realizes missed free throws can lead to teams’ blowing 15-point leads on the road.

“If you make your free throws,” Self said, “it turns out at least visually to be a much better game. If we make our free throws the first half (instead of going 10 of 19), we probably could have scored 44, 45 points.”

KU freshman Ben McLemore scored six points (13 for the game) to increase a 46-44 lead to 52-46 at 9:04. Travis Releford hit a three, and the Jayhawks had rebuilt the lead to nine, 55-46, at 7:35. Of course, West Virginia (9-11, 2-5) never quit, cutting the margin to four points (60-56) at :24.5.

Kevin Young (seven points, 5-for-8 from line) hit one of two free throws at :24.4, making it necessary for Withey to play defense on the Mountaineers’ final possession. Withey also tapped the ball out after the second of the two blocks, and KU ran out the clock.

“We got off to a great start. We were really locked in ready to play,” Self said. “Probably as ready to play as we’ve been on the road at any time this year. We’re up 16-4 or whatever (at 12:28), and it should have been 22-4.

“I mean, missing a couple of layups and free throws … and then we don’t finish the half great, but it wasn’t really because of poor play, it was because of missed free throws or just turnovers that led to baskets.

“You can never finish a half the way we finished it (on Elijah Johnson turnover and bucket to beat the buzzer by Jabarie Hinds). We didn’t shoot the ball well from the free-throw line in the second half (8-of-15). We had some veterans play not very smart, then don’t make free throws and made just some awful, awful turnovers. But, we kept them from scoring and did a good job defensively.”

Self singled out Releford, who had 15 points off 7-of-9 shooting.

“Travis was terrific the whole game,” Self said. “He guards their leading scorer in Big 12 play, he gets a goose egg from the field, and he (Travis) scores 15 points on eight shots. So he was by far our best player.”

Releford held Eron Harris to two points off 0-for-5 shooting in 25 minutes.

“But we’ve got to be a lot tougher and do some things. But, hey, if you go 22 of 34 if you just shoot your free throws awful, we’re still going to win by 10 or 12. And we would have taken that before the game. We just didn’t shoot them awful tonight,” Self said.

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

White plays in front of family: Andrew White III, who is from Chester, Va., played six minutes in front of about 15 family members, including Andrew White I and II. He missed two shots and three of four free throws but had four boards.

This, that: Withey had four blocks and is seven shy of Greg Ostertag’s school record 258. ... Prior to Monday, West Virginia had an 80.7 winning percentage against teams making their first visit to WVU Coliseum (126-31). ... KU grabbed 36 rebounds to West Virginia’s 27, tying the Mountaineers season-low. KU has outrebounded 17 of 20 opponents. ... KU shot 54.1 percent (20-for-37), the ninth time KU has shot over 50 percent. ... KU held the Mountaineers without a field goal for more than seven minutes to start the game, jumping out to a 14-2 lead. WVU hit its first bucket at 12:36. .. KU hit 18-of-34 free throws (52.9 percent), most misses from the line this season (previously 11 at Ohio State and vs. Iowa State). ... Releford has contributed double-digit points in 15-straight games. His 15 points were his most in Big 12 play this season and his most in a league game since scoring a career-high 28 points at Oklahoma (1/7/12).

Comments

mdalesh 1 year, 2 months ago

I just want to say a couple things. My brother and I met for Baylor and stayed a couple days. I'm 1979 he's 1981. Although growth of commerce is amazing, it's still Lawrence. My Couple things: 1. Those uniforms sucked! I realize they contractly had to wear them, but please no more. Made me think too much. You couldn't see numbers or names so u nless you visually know the team you were lost.

nostradavid 1 year, 2 months ago

Honorary Kansas Day conspiracy theory: Blame Gov. Brownbackside.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Some Hypotheses Probably Not Explaining the Trial Uniforms"

~They were part of a plan to apply the new 3D technology in D1 Hoops. In order to read the jerseys in 3D (or at all), you had to subscribe to the Tone Out 3D Sports Network for $199.00/month and they would give you "Tone In" glasses.

~It was a wily plan by Keegs to up the clicks for a couple days.

~It had something to do with the terrorist event in Benghazi.

~The uniforms were meant to be an exceedingly sophisticated, post-post-modern allusion to the end of meaning in Western Civilization.

~It was an effort to appeal to that vast sub market of fans that are sick and tired of being able to read what's on the jerseys.

~It was an attempt to see if the fans really are watching.

~It was a conspiracy of conspiracy theory smearists created to give them something to smear conspiratorially.

~It was a deep state psy-ops program to confuse certain color blind persons into thinking Kansas is really a blue state.

~It was an attempt to economize on red iink in a time of global red ink.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Huh.

Seems like THE_REAL_DEAL (etc.) just got disappearededed

CWGOKU 1 year, 2 months ago

is jaybate also marchphog88?

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 3

This material not only looks like television tuned to a dead channel (props to Willie Gib), the material actually is television tuned to a dead channel!!!!!

The conspiracy has used a race of super scientists cloned from the genes of WWII Nazi scientists to develop a fabric that is actually a digital matrix that can be tailored into uniforms, even jock straps, and these uniforms can stream commercials by blue tooth connection with internet hot spots embeded into the cracks of the hardwood floors!!!!!!!

Now the key here is that this is all undeniably illegal to do.

No where in the common law, or legislated legal code, or even in constitution circumventing executive orders, does it say that dark forces aligned in conspiracy are allowed to high jack a highly respected athletic shoe corporation, clone super scientists from a villainous gene pool, and then use these super scientists to develop fabric that not only is used to converge all D1 schools into wearing identical uniforms the color of television tuned to a dead channel, but then to use this to stream commercials nonstop during games on the players uniformed bodies, as they run, jump and generally play basketball.

I know what people are going to say. They are going to say, "No, flipping way, jaybate, BigManU would never be a part of a conspiracy theory like this. Even YOU, jaybate would not be a part of a conspiracy theory like this."

And, of course, they would be right.

(Note: all fiction. No malice. Addidas is a great corporation that is trying to help KU get better. It just so happens it didn't work out well this particular time with these uniforms IMHO. But I still love those shoes. Rock Chalk Addidas! Keep trying to innovate.)

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Part 2

At its dark heart, it IS a conspiracy between the Illuminati and the Vatican, maybe even suburban Rome. Its the first time these groups have ever conspired together on anything and this is a proven conspiracy theory, an empirical fact.

Its happening. NOW!!! They are standing behind me right now as I type this. They are brandishing all kinds of occult and orthodox religious artifacts ranging from carbon fiber replicas of gargoyles in St. Peters to bodhi tree acorns made from kidney stones found in mysteriously radiated newts.

So what's the conspiracy?

Simple. BigManU explained it to me. BigManU is even in on it. He says I am even in on it, and just don't know it yet.

By acting as shadowy forces behind Addidas, these groups are using "tone out" technology to slowly migrate all uniforms into one single universal uniform!

It is starting out as "tests" with schools like KU. They SAY it is only a test, but it is in fact a first step down a diabolically sinister slippery slope. The first step is to make the uniforms of a school monochromatic--to make school names, numbers and player names hard to see, leaving only the manufacturer's logo highly visible.

But that's only the first step, people.

Once the conspirators have engineered all of the teams into monochromatic, tone out jerseys, the next step is to migrate the colors of all the uniforms of all the schools (in tiny, barely perceptible increments of course) to something called "color out grey."

When the migration is finally complete every Division 1 basketball team will be wearing uniforms of identical fabric and coloration. The only thing you will be able to see are the manufacturer's logos.

BigManU showed me actual swatches of the material, when I was locked in a green tractor beam and lifted high up to a revolving Holiday Inn dining room, where the conspiracy meets regularly for brunches of unmentionable things and various malted beverages.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"In Which jaybate Posits a REAL (fake) Conspiracy Theory"

Part 1

Since I get absurdly accused of conspiracy theorizing without doing so, I have decided that if you can't beat the conspiracy theory smearists, join in with them. :-)

I, jaybate, do hereby and forthwith take a blood oath in the Skull and Bones crypt somewhere at Yale to posit my first, REAL, GOSPEL, total and utter conspiracy theory EVER!

And this baby is an interstellar mind bender.

It is going to knock your athletic socks off and blow the cover off maybe the greatest threat to Division 1 in history, certainly since Chucks were so sinisterly eclipsed by first Puma and then by everything including Birks, Earth Shoes, Skeechers and those weird running shoes at REI with the discete toes.

All assumptions, facts, inferences and conclusions are valid and empirically verified at a 95% confidence interval, even though I'm going to black box all of it in the style of all really good conspiracy theories.

This is REAL!

It is really REAL!

It is REEEEEALY, REEALLY going on. RIGHT NOW!!! Its a conspiracy theoretical fact, JACK and JILL.

Freemasons have taken over Addidas.

(Pause for shock to wear off.)

Not only Freemasons, but Black Jesuits, too.

(Pause even loooooonger.)

There is also reason to believe that Al Qaeda (aka the toilet), members of a global Zionist conspiracy, a global Christian conspiracy, a global Hindu conspiracy, certain YMCA officials, the Future Farmers of America, the Tongs, a modern dance troop in Schenectady, and one illustrious Singapore chess team, are involved, too.

Its a joint venture conspiracy.

This conspiracy is REEEEEEALy big.

I would go so far as to call it HUUUUUUUUUGE.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice sit-down with Andy Katz -- enjoy!

Here's a snippet:

What does this team need to do between now and Selection Sunday to compete for the title?

"We're going to have to stay healthy. We have to get to a point where we defend better and be sound defensively. We've got to bring our freshmen along to a point and Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor and get us 16 points collectively, and I don't think we're that far away."

Greg Lux 1 year, 2 months ago

Awful awful awful..... That's the best I have to say about those uniforms. Please can the idiot who approved that design.

Rock Chalk

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Here's a thought....... I wonder what the comments would have been about the uniforms if we had exhibited our best offensive night of the year and topped 100 points against a home team with a 80% plus winning percentage against visiting teams playing in their venue for the first time.

Just asking. I know the uniforms would have still been monkey-butt ugly, but maybe they would have been deemed magical!!!

THE_REAL_DEAL_WITH_BILL_MCNEIL 1 year, 2 months ago

We need more cool uniforms, not less. All you old sticks in the mud need to get a grip.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

Tully Corcoran of Fox Sports attempted to breakdown KU and Michigan to determine who should really be #1.

He gave the post edge to KU. The PG edge to Michigan. the wing edge to KU. the coaching edge to KU. mentioned KU's win at Ohio State vs Michigan's loss at Ohio State. Mentioned KU's 4 pt win at KSU vs Michigan's 14 pt win against KU on a neutral court.

He then went on to say that he thinks Michigan would win.

Why even do the analysis and the breakdown if you are going to ignore it when you make your prediction!

theend 1 year, 2 months ago

As far as I know.....there is no law or regulation that requires basketball teams to be great on offense.....or be great shooters. Sure....I wish we were......but we're not. But I say.....WHO CARES??????? We win!! We always win!!! That's what matters.

If we win the Big 12 ....or the NC.....will we be on here complaining about the offense?????? I wont be. I don't care how they win......as long as we win!!!!!!

19-1. take a minute and think about that just before yuou are about to come on here and complain.

iamakufan 1 year, 2 months ago

I did NOT like not being able to see the numbers on the uniforms on TV. Whose brilliant idea was that?

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

I had a great business mentor once tell me that you get to a certain point in your life and you "are what you are"; you're not necessarily capable of "reinventing" yourself. If you apply this same principle to our beloved Jayhawks, then let's just expect the sloppiness and embrace our winning ugly! We are 19-1. Let's tap the brakes a little and enjoy the ride. There's a long way to go till March Madness!

jaycard 1 year, 2 months ago

Bad superpower guy from Krypton in SupermanII.

railer20 1 year, 2 months ago

As far as the jerseys go...HOLY CRAP PEOPLE, CHILL OUT! I don't think they were the greatest thing but if you read you know that EVERY Addidas school agreed to wear them at least once. Judging by Bill's comment they won't be worn again.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

(...concluded)

All that being said, I'm just happy for the win. I just hope this team doesn't start looking at the nearly empty loss column and thinking that they are golden. I can't help but be a tiny bit reminded of that 2005 team that was also heavy with upperclassmen and started the season 20-1. The went on to lose 6 of their final 9 games (including a 3-game losing streak). We all know how that season ended.

I also wanted to mention something that HEM's post made me think of: it's a blessing that we can be playing this lackluster and still have full control of our destiny. We still have time, not only to get things fixed in time for a deep tourney run, but we are in the driver's seat of the Big 12 championship race in spite of looking pretty awful for most of the Big 12 season. Here's hoping that they are able to correct the mistakes and make that deep tourney run.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

(...continued)

Regarding individual players:

Perry Ellis seemed to take a minor step backwards last night. I'm not sure if he did something that Self didn't like, but he only got 11 minutes, even with Withey a little bit hobbled by that first half ankle tweak. He seemed aggressive to me, but he didn't grab a single rebound in those 11 minutes. Maybe that was Self's issue, because it should be unacceptable for a player like Ellis to fail to grab a single rebound in that much playing time.

I saw several comments to the effect of "there went AWIII's chance to get playing time", but I have to disagree. I don't think Self is going to yank playing time based on a poor shooting night--especially for a guy like Andrew, who we know can shoot the ball well. He yanked down 4 rebounds in 6 minutes (that's what Ellis should be doing), so while Self may not want White taking crunch-time minutes in a big game (until he works through his shooting issues), I think he will continue to get spot minutes off the bench when KU has a need at the 2, 3 and maybe even 4 positions. If for no other reason than to keep Ellis from resting on his laurels.

Withey was outstanding, as usual. It's going to be a crying shame when he gets snubbed for first team All American for some pogo stick who weighs 95 lbs when wet, but has crazy "potential". Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Kevin Young has to be shooting worse on layups than he is anywhere else on the floor. That is all.

Releford also had a good game on defense, but made some fairly cringe-worthy turnovers. I hope he is figuring out that we need him to be the third option scoring punch. After McLemore and Withey, we expected Johnson to carry a lot of load, and I think he ultimately will come tournament time, but right now, he's just off, and Releford needs to use his talents to fill in the gap.

(to be concluded...)

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

A few thoughts...

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but I can't stand how little zip that our passes have. We are just writing a script on one of the things you need to do as an opponent to beat us: gamble in the passing lanes out front because we will inevitably throw 2-5 ill-advised, soft-arcing passes where a defender can either pick it off or knock it away with sound fundamental defense (extending arms even when not looking towards the ballhandler). The thing that makes it so frustrating is because, unlike missed free throws, it's something that's preventable 99% of the time. Combine better decision-making with techniques like a pass fake or giving the ball some velocity and most of those types of bonehead plays where we give up a run out go away. Letting WVU get back within 2 points after having them down 15 early is simply unacceptable. Even on the road.

But back to free throws. I know it's super frustrating to watch guys give away free points at the free throw line. Especially otherwise good FT shooters like Withey, and then White III and even Ellis. But no matter how good a FT shooting team you have, there will simply be outlier games like this. We shoot 72.1% from the line as a team, which is a reasonbly decent percentage. It's good for 81st overall in the country, which sounds bad until you realize that most of the 80 teams in front of us are small schools from small conferences, who aren't even in the national conversation regarding things like the NCAA tournament. The only title contenders ahead of us in team FT% are Indiana (67th) and Arizona (21st). We're third in the Big 12, behind only OSU and OU. As long as we aren't in the bottom of the rankings (81st out of 347 is just fine) from that standpoint, I think we just need to accept that there will be games like this. It's not like we have a consistently bad problem, like the 2008 Memphis squad, which ranked 329th nationally with a team FT of 61.4%. I'd rather our team spend it's spare practice time working on passing drills than shooting free throws.

(to be continued...)

misfire 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm 74 years old and have a small TV. If I can't see the names and numbers, I might as well listen to Bob Davis.

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

Hated the uniforms - I think they're distracting and frankly we just need to be focused on basics right now.

This team is poised for a loss - my Admiral Akbar "It's a Trap!" nominee is at Oklahoma

Hawkville 1 year, 2 months ago

I wasn't too pleased with the new unis, but I hope we never show up in those awful gray unis some teams like.

mejayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

If my name was Staten, I think I'd find a different way to pronounce it.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 2 months ago

Watching that game and looking at the picture above proves WVU is a good addition to the Big12. Their crowd was great. Now I haven't studied this, but other than ISU and KS who else sells out when we play them? Our league needs basketball schools. If Huggy can recruit some kids to the country roads of WVU maybe they'll become a very tough place to play.

CalBBaller 1 year, 2 months ago

Everyone is concerned about the uniforms. an earlier poster said they were for the kids and not the older folks. He is right. Who cares what uniforms they wear as long as they play well and win? Unfortunately this team is not playing well. Call it playing ugly or whatever you like, the fact is that they are not playing well and certainly not like a top-tier team. I hope I am wrong, but I see a hot shooting mid-major beating the Hawks in the second round this year. We are fortunate that the Big 12 is a down basketball league this year.

dumbarton 1 year, 2 months ago

When we were up big and still early in the game we (uncharacteristically) made wholesale substitutions with Traylor, Tharpe, Ellis and White in the game at the same time. I'm not sure why Self did that as we were playing well and had a chance to bury WVA. This move allowed WVA to get back into the game. The subs are 19 games into the season and performed like it was November. Our bench was outscored 35 to 5. Maybe he did it to see how they would perform as a unit....and got his answer.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 2 months ago

I liked the jerseys, thought they were a nice change up. However the whites from last year to celebrate the 52(?) team are jerseys I would like us to go back to. Now let's move on to real talk. Our offense since conf play has been just as bad as big 10 offense. I've been thinking maybe for one game Bill shakes it up some. Start Naddir and Perry, having EJ and KY come off the bench. Both guys to me provide more offense. However both also are not as good defenders or as smart as players as EJ and KY. But Naddir is a true point who can distribute better then EJ. Also, Rel needs to get aggressive. He has an incredible fg% since that first month. He passed up open shots, also needs to pump fake. He should be a 15 ppg guy. I would love to see White get comfy. Hes shooting has been poor as of late. Self needs to let him get all those bugs out of his stomach. Of course what I said is from the couch and Bill Self knows this team better. But maybe for one game, a change up might not be so bad.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm a little worried about the team, but I'm not too worried.

Self really hasn't showed much of anything yet. He has a lot more cards in his hand that he is holding onto for when we really need them.

Right now we are winning ugly and doing it without much strategy what-so-ever.

That doesn't excuse the sloppy passing at all. But defenses know exactly what to expect from us right now, and Self has the solution to that. He just doesn't want anybody to see it yet.

Michigan is going to lose on Saturday to Indiana, and Kansas could be number 1 with a home win over Okie State. If we play poorly do we get leapfrogged by Indiana? I doubt it. The voters are just salivating over us waiting for that first loss so that they can drop us to the bottom of the top 10. After all, we look more like a 9 or 10 ranked team than a #1 ever since New Years.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 2 months ago

Didn't see any pictures of our cheerleaders. We're they dressed as Smurfette to complement the team?

John Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

The turning point was changing the call on Staten's 3-no, 2 pointer.

Being down two instead of just one convinced the Mountaineers they never would get over the hump, even when Jayhawks didn't make a field goal and only half their free throws the last six minutes.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 2 months ago

Several things jumped out to be about last night.

First, wear throwbacks. Don't wear these atrocious alternates. The cool thing about KU's uniforms is that they are traditional. They already look great. Duke's uniforms, for example, are god awful. Maybe because they don't really have any tradition. But anyways, don't mess with success.

Second, CS talks about how McLemore needs to get more looks and be more aggressive. Can't the same be said for several players on our team? Releford is one of the hidden gems on this team. He went 7-9 from the field and 1-1 from the three-point line. I wish Releford would be more assertive on the offensive end. Not that I want Withey putting up 10 jumpers a game, but if they're going to give that to him and he can knock it down, go for it.

Third, I'm sorry, but Kevin Young has been just unbearable lately. Missed layups, poor free throw shooting (although that plagued our whole team last night), and an inability to contribute anything offensively. Look, I like Kevin Young, but he has got to get it figured out.

Finally, that was probably the worst game I've seen all year long, although I usually have to work during the games and can only see so much from the bar. But I actually came away from that game discouraged. I've loved watching KU my whole life, but I couldn't wait for that game to end. However, that was the second game in three days, with one of those games being on the other side of the country. And unfortunately KU plays up or down to their competition. I'm all about giving credit where credit is due, BUT WEST VIRGINIA IS GARBAGE! That should've been a beat down. Hopefully, like many of you have said this is just a low point in the season, and the best is yet to come, but right now it looks pretty bleak.

n17987 1 year, 2 months ago

one of the basic fundamentals of the game of basketball is passing. KU's lack of effort in this area as well as failure on the front end of 1-1's, lack of leadership at the guard position and getting faked out of their jockstraps on shot attempts will soon lead to the disappointing loss that is right around the corner. Apparently the lack of discipline in practice for failure to pay attention is not at a level that players will understand that a penalty is forthcoming for sloppiness. "Everyone get on the LINE".

Colby Hebert 1 year, 2 months ago

To be a great team we need Ellis and Naadir to continue to progress and we need one of our guards to become what Bill Self would call an assassin. I am afraid Elijah is just not wired that way. Naadir or Ben then I hope. Or both!

I do not think we can ask much more of Withey and Releford. Young just has to keep his energy up and not have lapses in focus.

A lot of people were scared when Ben hurt his ankle, but to me he is the icing. Where would we be if we lost Releford? Along with Withey he is what the cake is made of.

67coronet 1 year, 2 months ago

Uniforms are awful! You can't tell who the players are, what school is represented! Look like practice uniforms.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

I've seen monkey crap fights at the zoo that looked more organized than our offense last night.

Ben Kane 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't think it's panic time on our offense at all. look at the other scores around the country last night. it doesn't matter if we score in the 50s/60s if our defense refuses to let anyone score more than us.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 2 months ago

... But why hasn't anyone mentioned the hideous uniforms?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

My point was Bill Self's teams always seem to rally after losses, so it won't be the end of the world if we drop one or two.

The mentality of this team has changed. They used to be seem more hard-working, chip-on-their-shoulder, and focused. I saw stints last night that were careless and arrogant.

I'm glad they keep winning, but Self needs to find a way to regain their focus. As of right now, my fear that we may have peaked too early appears to be coming to fruition.

Hopefully a week off will help, and hopefully Self can get them refocused without losing.

Colby Hebert 1 year, 2 months ago

About our inferior competition....

Iowa State and Oklahoma State get votes in the polls. Oklahoma and Baylor are not playing badly. When the dust settles after conference play we could have 3-4 ranked teams and send 5-6 teams to the tourney. This is the Big 12 and we are winning on the road struggling on offense. There are not many teams with just 1 loss. It could be a lot worse. We could be in a dogfight for the Big 12 title.

CWGOKU 1 year, 2 months ago

Please burn those practice jerseys. And please pass only to our guys,on the same team. Maybe the uniforms had something to do with turnovers.

Steven Mathew 1 year, 2 months ago

Am I the only that thinks these uniforms are similar to the NBA Christmas jerseys (e.g. Oklahoma City Thunder)?

Colby Hebert 1 year, 2 months ago

Long long time reader, first time poster.

If the uniforms had glossy crimson numbers, they would have been great. As it was, it looked like the blue man group playing basketball.

I see some doom and gloom. If we make some free throws this is a workmanlike win on the road in a very hostile environment. Ya West Virginia has a bad record but that crowd was at times as jacked as any home crowd we will see. Wow. Also across the bench a coach with 741 wins who threw the kitchen sink at us. He needed and wanted this game desperately. I have never seen so many fouls it was a 2 and a half hour game almost. I am glad we got out of there with a W and in one piece.

As far as our offensive woes, we need someone who can feed the post. I mean someone who can just toss it in there without having to have the perfect angle, Usually our point guard can do it and we even had glue guys and role players who could in the past. We do not have that at all right now, we do not have that much production from the front court really. We will just have to move the ball really well side to side to do it then.

One last thought, I know this may make me sound like a homer, but what if the Celtics picked up Tyshawn Taylor and just said, slash and dash son. Could he not at least be a poor man's Rajon Rondo and fit with what the Celtics have been doing? I am dead serious. Tyshawn is a freak of nature like Rajon. Both are long, both struggled to really fit in with the college game. I could see Tyshawn being better in the pros than he was in college like Rondo. They just seem to have some strange similarities and Rajon has a torn ACL and Tyshawn does not.

Tyshawn Taylor for the Celtics 2013!!!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

I had mentioned a while back my thoughts about this team finding its "character." Right now, unfortunately, it's not positive. That can change. And we are lucky that we're playing this way. Yes, lucky.

We can be fooled by winning. That sounds weird, but if you are playing inferior opponents, then it can be deceiving. We have been playing some inferior opponents. Since our peak -- the win on the road vs. Ohio St. -- our performances have been mediocre at best. In the win-loss column, all that matters is the W. And if all we're playing for is a Big 12 title, then we are doing that. But our goal is to win a national title. This is not a national title type team right now .. right now. We are floundering in a sea of mediocrity -- at our level. Yes, we're 18-1. But what we're talking about is simply playing well by our standards, and our talent level. There were concerns voiced by some that we would not be tested enough by our Big 12 schedule heading into tournament play. I disagreed with that at the time. Now I agree. That is a concern as of now. We have had one Big 12 test, really .. at KSU.

The current character of this team is not to stomp on the throat. We could have ended the game last night quickly, and painlessly.Up by 15. But we didn't. Such is what we've been in January. A few open shots fall by our opponents and things go a different way.

But this is where things get good. We aren't "peaking too early." We're not clicking just yet. We can get moving, ramp this baby up, learn our lessons, and be playing our best ball in March. Seasons have their peaks and valleys .. right now, we're in a valley. Death Valley in January. And we still have won games. Death Valley is really mediocre valley -- go through the motions, play sloppy, hang on and win.

We play true road tests at OSU, ISU, OU, and Baylor. Maybe tested at home vs. KSU and OSU. I like our remaining schedule. And I really like that this team is perhaps learning by struggling as Self said. Yes, we have 4 seniors .. but this is about a team's character. As a unit.

February is a new month. I suspect by the end of February, we'll have a different .. and better .. opinion of the character of this team.

This team can win the title. We'll know a lot in 30 days.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

We looked like crap.

Hate to say it, folks, but this team is in desparate need of a loss soon. We limp through conference play like this, and that loss will come in the NCAA tournament....early.

Just a thought.

T_Man_JayhawkNation 1 year, 2 months ago

Our sloppy passes, turnovers and bad foul shooting kept it close for WVU. We should have blown them away! I am still waiting for that break out game in conference play that solidifies our place as an elite team! The talent is there, but other teams seem to slow the pace, and we get sucked into their game plan and play like a non ranked team. You could tell it on Self's face last night, how the boy's made it hard on themselves by letting WVU back into the game. Just glad to come away with a road win as ugly as it was!

HawkKlaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, those jerseys were really atrocious. Ahem, gobacktonikeandstopusingthetrajanfont, ahem.

I've been really puzzled attempting to figure out how this team continues to win games in such an ugly fashion. Last night it finally became clear to me:

1. Lose the turnover battle almost every night due to our awful passing ability (not sure if this is in the game plan, but it happens nonetheless, contributing to the "ugly" factor).

2. Shoot a high FG% (and defensively, hold our opponents to a low FG%).

3. Win the rebounding battle (most of the time).

4. Jeff Withey + Travis Releford!

Most of the time on the road, if an away team loses the turnover battle, it spells a loss for the team. However, with this KU team, I think it's just the norm for getting the "W".

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I loved the uniforms. Me and my buddies went out in the garage, got some PVC pipe, drumsticks and paint and channeled the Blue Man Group.

That was way more entertaining than watching us try to give the game away.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

Uniforms? We are discussing uniforms after yet another poor offense performance. What the players wear should be the least of their concerns. This team will lose starting against OSU unless many issues about their offense do not get corrected. The Big XII is clearly down and KU can run away from teams like Texas, TTU, and WVU?

NH_JHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

The only thing that was uglier than our unis last night was the caveman looking dude.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 2 months ago

I loved the uniforms, especially the all blue shorts. And i thought the players looked slick in them

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

My enthusiasm for this team is gradually diminishing. Last night I couldn't tell how we measure up to some of the real good teams. WV is terrible so this is nothing to get excited about. If the Jayhawks can't stop making so many turnovers, playing just plain dumb, and learn how to make shots, we are not going to go very deep into March.

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

We need to work on back door cuts. We seem to have forgotten hiw to do that.

Every team in the league will be overplaying the passing lanes after watching our guards throw pass after pass to the other team last night. We need to make them pay for that with a few back door dunks.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

As I told everyone last year, who hated on Tyshawn Taylor, just wait until next year, and tell me he is terrible. How many people wish we had a Tyshawn Taylor now. Most of my friends and acquaintances now tell me this: We would take Tyshawns mistakes now, in a heart beat, because at least he also made so many great plays. A lot of people want coach Self to bench EJ, for Tharp, but EJ has meant too much to the program to do that, and EJ is taller and longer, for defense and rebounding. I love Tharp, but he is not playing too good either. Plain and simple, EJ is a Two guard, not a Point guard!

swunruh 1 year, 2 months ago

Withey liked the new uniforms. It's probably fun for the players to wear something different and now similar jerseys and t-shirts are being sold. I wouldn't want one.

doolindalton 1 year, 2 months ago

Stinky game, especially shooting 52 percent from the line. Withey used to shoot 80 percent from the line; now he shoots like Kenny Gregory. This is his contract year! Point guard play was horrible. But they are 19-1.

cobweb 1 year, 2 months ago

You couldn't see the numbers on TV. The jerseys were terrible.

Lifelong_Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Let us never see those hideous jerseys again. Should have worn the red last night.

More importantly though, something is wrong with this team. I can't pinpoint the source of the problem, but this is a team that was blowing out opponents in December, and now they have played footsie with every opponent in January except Baylor.

ArkCityJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Never wear those unis again.....please. It was an ugly win...but a win.

Matt Gauntt 1 year, 2 months ago

I wish Coach would go ahead and burn them.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 2 months ago

When he passes the ball, I would love to take a peek into EJ's mindand figure out why he blows it!

Slick50 1 year, 2 months ago

Those unis are hideous. They look like jerseys that are turned inside out. They were appropriately worn tonight though, because this didn't resemble any KU team I've ever seen. HCBS really has his hands full this year with an under achieving squad of guards. I'm pointing at you, EJ. Terrible.

actorman 1 year, 2 months ago

I think we're all going to have to come to terms with the fact that this team is not likely to win a lot of pretty games. So it might not always be the most entertaining team to watch, but as long as they keep winning I can live with it.

I sure wish they would cut down on the dumb turnovers, though; it's enough to drive you insane.

phogphan2000 1 year, 2 months ago

Didn't see the game, but the minutes in the rotation seem pretty odd, 11 for Perry, 25 for BMac. FT shooting obviously awful. Oh well, it's a road win that didn't require any crazy theatrics.

nostradavid 1 year, 2 months ago

Good headline, Gary.

Another gritty game by the Jayhawks, illustrating the state motto "to the stars (Final Four) through difficulties". It's good that they can get all of the turnovers out of their system before crunch time.

The Adidas logo should be the same fade-into-the-background blue the numbers are. The logo was the only thing visible in any view but a close up.

stm62 1 year, 2 months ago

I liked the uniforms. KU hasn't consistently been wearing the same style, script, etc.for any extended period of time that I can remember. I would not want them to be KU's regular shirts and shorts, but wearing them every once in a while is fine.

Cmill1221 1 year, 2 months ago

Jerseys got to go. The shorts look like they are from practice uniforms. We are Kansas we have history and tradition, we don't need cheap uniform tricks to get people to watch us. We are not Oregon.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 2 months ago

Not that it had anything to do with our play but those really are terrible uniforms. Everything that should be important about the uniform was masked out. The only thing that was clear and prominant was the Adidias logo. I believe this was also a trend started by Nike. Can someone clarify this? I am all about alternate uniforms, but lets do it right. This is just a bad idea and poor design. Glorified practice jerseys. It would be cool to bring back more throwback uniforms featuring the older jayhawk logos. If I had it my way, I'd even bring back the short shorts for a game!