Kansas defeats West Virginia, 61-56

• 8 p.m., Jan. 28, 2013
  • WVU Coliseum, Morgantown, WV

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Mono-dramatic: Jayhawks sloppy in new jerseys

Jeff Withey (5) shoots a hook shot around a defender as Kevin Young (40) positions for a rebound in the Jayhawks 61-56 win against the Mountaineers Monday night at West Virginia University.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over West Virginia

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 61-56 win over West Virginia on Jan. 28, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WVU

— Kansas University’s new “monochromatic” men’s basketball jerseys, created by adidas, will live to see another day.

“We don’t have to burn ’em since we won,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks’ 61-56 victory over West Virginia on Monday night in WVU Coliseum.

“But I don’t know if we’ll wear ’em again,” Self added after a somewhat-scary game in which KU saw a 15-point first half lead dip to two in the second half.

Wearing blue tops and blue shorts and blue shoes with just a splash of red, the Jayhawks (19-1, 7-0) extended their winning streak to 18 games.

And they did it on a day they improved to No. 1 in one of the two national polls (USA Today). The Associated Press has KU at No. 2 behind Michigan.

“I like ’em,” KU center Jeff Withey said of the new jerseys, which all adidas schools have agreed to wear at least once. “It’s nice to have a little change now and then.”

Withey scored 13 points the first half in his new duds, helping KU to a 38-30 halftime advantage. He also had two of his game-high four blocks in the last 24 seconds, single-handedly making sure West Virginia didn’t cut into KU’s narrow 61-56 margin.

“My teammates did a good job getting me the ball early,” said Withey, who had 10 points as KU jumped to a 22-7 lead. “We didn’t want them to score late. Their guards decided the first time all game really to go inside, and I was able to get a couple blocks.”

Withey missed four of seven free throws on a night KU made 18 of 34.

“My free throws ... I’ve got to work on them more,” Withey said. “I don’t know if I’m rushing it or what. I’ve got to get in the gym and shoot 200 free throws and get it right.”

Self realizes missed free throws can lead to teams’ blowing 15-point leads on the road.

“If you make your free throws,” Self said, “it turns out at least visually to be a much better game. If we make our free throws the first half (instead of going 10 of 19), we probably could have scored 44, 45 points.”

KU freshman Ben McLemore scored six points (13 for the game) to increase a 46-44 lead to 52-46 at 9:04. Travis Releford hit a three, and the Jayhawks had rebuilt the lead to nine, 55-46, at 7:35. Of course, West Virginia (9-11, 2-5) never quit, cutting the margin to four points (60-56) at :24.5.

Kevin Young (seven points, 5-for-8 from line) hit one of two free throws at :24.4, making it necessary for Withey to play defense on the Mountaineers’ final possession. Withey also tapped the ball out after the second of the two blocks, and KU ran out the clock.

“We got off to a great start. We were really locked in ready to play,” Self said. “Probably as ready to play as we’ve been on the road at any time this year. We’re up 16-4 or whatever (at 12:28), and it should have been 22-4.

“I mean, missing a couple of layups and free throws … and then we don’t finish the half great, but it wasn’t really because of poor play, it was because of missed free throws or just turnovers that led to baskets.

“You can never finish a half the way we finished it (on Elijah Johnson turnover and bucket to beat the buzzer by Jabarie Hinds). We didn’t shoot the ball well from the free-throw line in the second half (8-of-15). We had some veterans play not very smart, then don’t make free throws and made just some awful, awful turnovers. But, we kept them from scoring and did a good job defensively.”

Self singled out Releford, who had 15 points off 7-of-9 shooting.

“Travis was terrific the whole game,” Self said. “He guards their leading scorer in Big 12 play, he gets a goose egg from the field, and he (Travis) scores 15 points on eight shots. So he was by far our best player.”

Releford held Eron Harris to two points off 0-for-5 shooting in 25 minutes.

“But we’ve got to be a lot tougher and do some things. But, hey, if you go 22 of 34 if you just shoot your free throws awful, we’re still going to win by 10 or 12. And we would have taken that before the game. We just didn’t shoot them awful tonight,” Self said.

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

White plays in front of family: Andrew White III, who is from Chester, Va., played six minutes in front of about 15 family members, including Andrew White I and II. He missed two shots and three of four free throws but had four boards.

This, that: Withey had four blocks and is seven shy of Greg Ostertag’s school record 258. ... Prior to Monday, West Virginia had an 80.7 winning percentage against teams making their first visit to WVU Coliseum (126-31). ... KU grabbed 36 rebounds to West Virginia’s 27, tying the Mountaineers season-low. KU has outrebounded 17 of 20 opponents. ... KU shot 54.1 percent (20-for-37), the ninth time KU has shot over 50 percent. ... KU held the Mountaineers without a field goal for more than seven minutes to start the game, jumping out to a 14-2 lead. WVU hit its first bucket at 12:36. .. KU hit 18-of-34 free throws (52.9 percent), most misses from the line this season (previously 11 at Ohio State and vs. Iowa State). ... Releford has contributed double-digit points in 15-straight games. His 15 points were his most in Big 12 play this season and his most in a league game since scoring a career-high 28 points at Oklahoma (1/7/12).

Comments

Priest Fontaine 2 years, 2 months ago

Not that it had anything to do with our play but those really are terrible uniforms. Everything that should be important about the uniform was masked out. The only thing that was clear and prominant was the Adidias logo. I believe this was also a trend started by Nike. Can someone clarify this? I am all about alternate uniforms, but lets do it right. This is just a bad idea and poor design. Glorified practice jerseys. It would be cool to bring back more throwback uniforms featuring the older jayhawk logos. If I had it my way, I'd even bring back the short shorts for a game!

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

Hear, hear! Words cannot describe how much I hate those uniforms.

ManCrushOnCaptainKirk 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, at least we don't have the worst uniforms in the league! Those, hands down, have to belong to the Baylor Bears who showcased the new unis a few years ago at the Big 12 Tourney.

boomrsoonr26 2 years, 2 months ago

At least they werent as bad as the Black football jerseys this year. The most generic uniform Ive ever seen.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

Dammit Jim! I'm a doctor not a fashion designer!

Dale Sprague 2 years, 2 months ago

Put those corporate uniforms to good use: Donate to the KU Alumni Association or a local charity and hold an online auction! Give fans a chance to buy a piece of basketball history while helping a good cause and obliterating the worst, most classless idea the athletic department has done that I can remember.

We watch every game; fly the KU flag every day; and love this team. But we "TV fans" struggled almost as much as the guys did the whole game. Quickly seeing and knowing who's doing what was nearly impossible, and we were amazed how much missing quick identity hurt the game for us.

I've been charitable restraining my real thoughts. Now be charitable with these abominations and let them do some real good for people who need some help!

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

The plain white Jayhawk Logo on the knee is highly visible, other than that it's hard to distinguish anything else on the uni

Cole Hogan 2 years, 2 months ago

You guys all MUST understand that these unis are not for the older alumni. Teams wear these kind of uniforms because the players like them. I'm 18, and almost all of my friends that I know loved those baylor uniforms last year. Although it seems small, this will help with recruiting.Saying we can still have fun and wear the funky-looking uniforms, we don't always have to go with our classic look just because we are kansas. So you should be happy we wore them even if you don't like them!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

"almost all of my friends that I know loved those baylor uniforms last year"

Maybe time to consider the bad influence being perpetrated by your friends :-)

boomrsoonr26 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd be more interested in hearing about his friends that he "doesn't know".

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't have the biggest of TV's and I struggled to figure out which players were which. The numbers were not visible at all unless they were doing close ups. Awful idea.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

I have a decent 46 inch HD and it was still difficult to read either the name or number.

Aligned 2 years, 2 months ago

I remember Howard Stern saying the O.J. trial separated the idiots from the rest of the population. I think these uniforms do the same thing.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

I usually like Adidias shoes and clothing lines better than Nike's but there is no way to get around the fact that those were UGLY uniforms.

Nike had a few florescent green uniforms that did not look good either last year. I would like to see Kansas stay with their regular uniforms and maybe a couple of red ones now and then.

But bringing back the short shorts? Those should be locked up permanently.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

Exactly.. You see it happen even at the professional level when teams are wearing "throwback uniforms" to increase overall sales.

hawk316 2 years, 2 months ago

Please...never allow those jerseys to see the light of day ever again. But I do like hetero's idea of throwback jerseys. That would be fun to see occasionally.

Hal Urbanek 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree...send those jerseys back to Adidas! They were as blah as the Jayhawks were from the free throw line! There is a reason they are called "free" throws!

okiedave 2 years, 2 months ago

Addidas needs a new designer. These uniforms appear stoggy and dull. If you look dull and feel dull, you are probably going to play dull. Not fond of the blue shooes either. Just nothing sharp or crisp about the uniforms.

Cmill1221 2 years, 2 months ago

Jerseys got to go. The shorts look like they are from practice uniforms. We are Kansas we have history and tradition, we don't need cheap uniform tricks to get people to watch us. We are not Oregon.

Phoggy_Notion 2 years, 2 months ago

Seems as though Adidas goes the way of Nike; Alternate jerseys look like practice jerseys.

Displayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I said the same thing to a buddy. They looked like faded out practice jerseys to me. I appreciate them taking the risk and implementing the change, but it could be done better IMHO.

Ben Kane 2 years, 2 months ago

old practice jerseys was my thought as well. why can't we just wear the red more?

stm62 2 years, 2 months ago

I liked the uniforms. KU hasn't consistently been wearing the same style, script, etc.for any extended period of time that I can remember. I would not want them to be KU's regular shirts and shorts, but wearing them every once in a while is fine.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe wearing Jayhawk snugglys should be under consideration.

nostradavid 2 years, 2 months ago

Good headline, Gary.

Another gritty game by the Jayhawks, illustrating the state motto "to the stars (Final Four) through difficulties". It's good that they can get all of the turnovers out of their system before crunch time.

The Adidas logo should be the same fade-into-the-background blue the numbers are. The logo was the only thing visible in any view but a close up.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm fine with the logo being fade-into-the-background blue, but of course we all know that will never happen.

As for the names and numbers, it's utterly ridiculous to do it that way, since it sometimes makes it difficult to tell who someone is.

Overall, I have a hard time comprehending how anyone could have liked those monstrosities.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

the goal is to sell them to the fans out on the streets. It's not something that should ever be on TV or used in an actually game, but I wouldn't mind wearing something like that myself.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Wearing them yourself? Tells me you want to be incognito.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

that's pretty funny. Actually I think that the jersey's look really cool in the photo gallery. But on TV they are awful.

brooksmd 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep. I only knew when Jeff (tall white guy) and Kevin (afro) were on the court. Otherwise I had no idea who was who on my tv unless there was a close in camera shot. Put those uni's back in the back of the storeroom and forget about them.

John White 2 years, 2 months ago

I was at the game and it was even worse from the upper deck. I could not tell one player from another except for Withey and Young ever. It was actually extremely frustrating.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Also, I actually have always liked Brent Musburger but he and Fran were of no help last night keeping us informed as to who was who. I think they talked more about the super bowl than the game they were being paid to talk about.

dylans 2 years, 2 months ago

I would be ok with a tuned out name, but Kansas should be bold and proud. It would also be nice to have a number that is distinguishable from the background.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Didn't see the game, but the minutes in the rotation seem pretty odd, 11 for Perry, 25 for BMac. FT shooting obviously awful. Oh well, it's a road win that didn't require any crazy theatrics.

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

BMac had some foul trouble that limited his minutes. Perry only getting 11 was odd, especially since he has been coming on a lot stronger of late.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

You couldn't tell from the box score, but if he picked up 2 early then 3 early, which at least one of those must have happened, can see why his minutes were limited. Agree on Ellis, thought he'd been coming alive so disappointed for him to play so little. Did AW3 play in the 4 spot in a small lineup or did he fill in at the wing since BMac was limited? Doesn't look like Self was too pleased with either Ellis or JamTray.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 2 months ago

I tend to agree with you slayr, I also think that Self tries to get the most miles out of his starting lineup for the exp factor, but also he now has a wrinkle to throw out there when his starters are not playing that well. By throwing in an ever improving Ellis at opportune times, he might pull a couple of W's out when defeat might have been certain. In other words, don't show ur competition all your cards unless need be.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

Not nearly as Machiavellian as ZIG, I just think HCBS has more confidence in Young then Ellis. Young also brings more energy then Ellis. Lastly, Young is a senior and while Ellis has a much higher ceiling Young brings more to the team then Ellis particularly intensity and enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure HCBS thought Ellis would be starting this season but give Young credit for his off season improvements that not many would have predicted.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

I think we all should email coach Self!

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

I think we're all going to have to come to terms with the fact that this team is not likely to win a lot of pretty games. So it might not always be the most entertaining team to watch, but as long as they keep winning I can live with it.

I sure wish they would cut down on the dumb turnovers, though; it's enough to drive you insane.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, if they cut down on the dumb turnovers, they WILL win a lot of "pretty" games, just as they were in December when they were steamrolling opponents.

Slick50 2 years, 2 months ago

Those unis are hideous. They look like jerseys that are turned inside out. They were appropriately worn tonight though, because this didn't resemble any KU team I've ever seen. HCBS really has his hands full this year with an under achieving squad of guards. I'm pointing at you, EJ. Terrible.

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 2 months ago

When he passes the ball, I would love to take a peek into EJ's mindand figure out why he blows it!

JHWK 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't recall EJ being so irresponsible with the ball. Granted, this year there is no TT to rely on, but EJ has to set the tone and make wise decisions that lead to buckets, not transition buckets for the opponent.
And it is contagious, as Nadir and Ben have shown.
I was happy to see AW3 get some PT in front of his family, but if he wants to spend less time in the HCBS Doghouse, he has to value the rock!

Matt Gauntt 2 years, 2 months ago

I wish Coach would go ahead and burn them.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

The best idea was from the guy who suggested an auction for charity.

ArkCityJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Never wear those unis again.....please. It was an ugly win...but a win.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

and that was because Baylor was terribly below average that night. Kansas didn't do anything great in that game either.

cobweb 2 years, 2 months ago

You couldn't see the numbers on TV. The jerseys were terrible.

John White 2 years, 2 months ago

If you think you couldn't see them on TV, where the camera perspective is relatively close, imagine sitting in the upper bowl at the arena where I was!

doolindalton 2 years, 2 months ago

Stinky game, especially shooting 52 percent from the line. Withey used to shoot 80 percent from the line; now he shoots like Kenny Gregory. This is his contract year! Point guard play was horrible. But they are 19-1.

swunruh 2 years, 2 months ago

Withey liked the new uniforms. It's probably fun for the players to wear something different and now similar jerseys and t-shirts are being sold. I wouldn't want one.

Joseph Bullock 2 years, 2 months ago

As I told everyone last year, who hated on Tyshawn Taylor, just wait until next year, and tell me he is terrible. How many people wish we had a Tyshawn Taylor now. Most of my friends and acquaintances now tell me this: We would take Tyshawns mistakes now, in a heart beat, because at least he also made so many great plays. A lot of people want coach Self to bench EJ, for Tharp, but EJ has meant too much to the program to do that, and EJ is taller and longer, for defense and rebounding. I love Tharp, but he is not playing too good either. Plain and simple, EJ is a Two guard, not a Point guard!

Al Martin 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes, this.

The problem is point guard play.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

We need to work on back door cuts. We seem to have forgotten hiw to do that.

Every team in the league will be overplaying the passing lanes after watching our guards throw pass after pass to the other team last night. We need to make them pay for that with a few back door dunks.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

We seem to have forgotten a lot of things: closing out a half in strong fashion, how to make crisp passes, how to go up STRONG to the rim with both hands and not get sissy-stripped by people half our size, how to make free throws, but hey, we still won ;)

FearlessJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

My enthusiasm for this team is gradually diminishing. Last night I couldn't tell how we measure up to some of the real good teams. WV is terrible so this is nothing to get excited about. If the Jayhawks can't stop making so many turnovers, playing just plain dumb, and learn how to make shots, we are not going to go very deep into March.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 2 months ago

We have had about a half dozen games like last night in January. This team is far too sloppy with all the turnovers and missed FTs. The basics that make a good team play defense, don't turn the ball over and make FTs. I've always loved EJ but after 20 games, it is painfully clear this team does not have a PG.

Ted Hume 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm concerned about this team wearing down, especially TR. The guy's been playing like 37 minutes a game and runs his ass off getting out in front of the break every change of possesion, and has to play in-your-grill D! Ditto for EJ, who looks tired too often out there.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Don't get too down on them. We're winning with our defense, and that's not a small thing. This is the same team that beat Ohio State on the road and the same team that has won all but one game. A few things need tweaked offensively, and our point guard play hasn't been great, but they've earned the lofty ranking playing a lot of good teams. The record is not a fluke.

Chris Bruning 2 years, 2 months ago

I loved the uniforms, especially the all blue shorts. And i thought the players looked slick in them

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Shrewd comment – really sets you apart!

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

KU62 - Shrewd comment - really sets you apart.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

So, so glad you noticed.

:-) ... in case you missed is first time RCJ and I forgot the sarcasm alert.

NH_JHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

The only thing that was uglier than our unis last night was the caveman looking dude.

JayhawkBigXII 2 years, 2 months ago

That dude reminds me of the monster on Rigel 3, Star Trek episode 29, 1967.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

That comparison doesn't do the Rigel 3 monster justice.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 2 months ago

Uniforms? We are discussing uniforms after yet another poor offense performance. What the players wear should be the least of their concerns. This team will lose starting against OSU unless many issues about their offense do not get corrected. The Big XII is clearly down and KU can run away from teams like Texas, TTU, and WVU?

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

You just answered your own question....now getting back to the uniforms, should we go with a red version next time?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I loved the uniforms. Me and my buddies went out in the garage, got some PVC pipe, drumsticks and paint and channeled the Blue Man Group.

That was way more entertaining than watching us try to give the game away.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

You're one of the top posters here nuleaf. Keep it up!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I hope you painted the PVC in tone out!!!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

Nule..are you anywhere near New York? Just wondering if you had seen The Blue Man Group at the Astor Place Theater.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, those jerseys were really atrocious. Ahem, gobacktonikeandstopusingthetrajanfont, ahem.

I've been really puzzled attempting to figure out how this team continues to win games in such an ugly fashion. Last night it finally became clear to me:

1. Lose the turnover battle almost every night due to our awful passing ability (not sure if this is in the game plan, but it happens nonetheless, contributing to the "ugly" factor).

2. Shoot a high FG% (and defensively, hold our opponents to a low FG%).

3. Win the rebounding battle (most of the time).

4. Jeff Withey + Travis Releford!

Most of the time on the road, if an away team loses the turnover battle, it spells a loss for the team. However, with this KU team, I think it's just the norm for getting the "W".

Ugh. Why?

I don't understand the desire to go back to Nike--you aren't the first person to have suggested it. Adidas is a great athletic brand, and we make a boatload more money using it. I refuse to believe that the between Nike and Adidas is so wide that it's worth getting less money from the contract to stay with Nike.

I'm with you on TOs though. It's this team's single-biggest problem and it's a problem that compounds the fact that we already struggle to score. When we turn it over so frequently, it just cuts down on the already small number of scoring chances.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm actually far more concerned with ditching the Trajan font, but going back to Nike would help with recruiting. Even though we make more money with Adidas, there's evidence that suggests that a lot of recruits consider the shoe-brand of the school as a very important factor in choosing a school (which is hard for me to fathom, but whatever).

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Did you read that article before posting? Because at best, it's a mild suggestion that kids MUST be influenced by the shoe contracts of the teams recruiting them. At worst, it has zero evidence that shoe contracts influence recruits eventual destination. When you read on, there are quite a few comments and pieces of anecdotal evidence that suggest that there are things that matter so much more to most recruits that it makes the shoe brand mostly irrelevant. One of the examples--Ed O'Bannon--has O'Bannon going to Nike school UNLV, but then he switches his recruitment to Converse school UCLA because of UNLV being banned from the postseason. Meaning, the shoe was kind of important, as long as there wasn't something that actually had to do with playing that mattered so much more.

Oh, and speaking of Converse, THIS ARTICLE IS FROM 1990!!!!!!!!! Even if it made the case you think it did (which it doesn't), it would be completely irrelevant to the 2013 basketball landscape.

But really, the counter-argument I always bring up on this shoe-brand-gets-recruits issue is this: if the difference between coming to Kansas and going to some other "blue chip" school is the brand of shoes they provide to the athlete (for free), then it's a recruit I have no desire to see at KU. Talk about having the wrong priorities

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Ha! Yes, I did read it (thanks for the snark). I cringe to think that shoe-companies actually influence a recruit's decision on where to go to school. I had never imagined that it would enter the equation, but for some reason it does.

I realize the article is from 1990, but it definitely still has relevance today. And it certainly does make the point I was trying to make (which is that shoe-company affiliation really does influence some recruits' decisions).

My knee jerk reaction was the same as yours: If a recruit is idiotic enough to choose a school based on shoe-company affiliation, then KU probably doesn't want that recruit. But it happens nonetheless.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

"We" only struggle to score when we don't have the ball. Our shot selection, fg% and efg% are the envy of coaches whose teams score lots more points. You're right about careless, sloppy turnovers threatening to take a big bite out of Big Jay's tail feathers.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I also wish they would ditch the Trajan font and go back to the circus font they used when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. It looked a lot better and was actually distinctive, unlike the sterile Trajan font.

I still can't believe the University paid some consulting firm in Portland $100,000 to choose a font for the school. And then they chose the most boring font they could find! I don't even want to buy any KU gear with that stupid font on it. It just reminds me of how much Lew Perkins changed the institution I grew up loving into a boring, faceless corporation. It's stupid, I know, but the Trajan font actually makes me really angry when I think about how they spent $100,000 on it.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

That's actually not what bayareajhawk said at all. He or she (like I) just want a fun, more distinctive, less sterile font to represent our basketball team. "Sterile" is not a word I would use to describe KU basketball, ever.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Clown school? What are you talking about? I'm talking about the jerseys that guys like Danny Manning and Paul Pierce wore.

I doubt you get as much as you think you do.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Wrong, Mario Chalmers (and the rest of the 2006-07 squad) wore the circus font jerseys. They didn't look dated at all. In fact, they looked awesome (see my avatar pic).

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Trajan font has been used since the 1920s and is based off of a very old letter form. Not to mention it is boring and generic.

Get.

With.

The.

Times.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Figured sound logic would quiet you down.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Now it looks like we had an argument with ourselves. :)

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

The new Maryland football jerseys say you're wrong.

Thank you for pointing out the connection betweeen circus and clown, though. Are we to understand that you were making a hilarious joke then?

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I should have known you'd like those monstrosities! Let me guess, you like the Baylor highlighter jerseys and the neon camoflauge too? You have to be closer to 10 than 30.

Between the jersey that Danny Manning wore and the new Maryland football jerseys, which one would be more likely to be worn by a guy getting out of a volkswagen with 15 of his closest friends?

Hint: it's the jersey that will never be seen in a national championship game

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Not at all. I like a lot of new things. For example, I really like the new cuts of suits that American are wearing now. It is a good change. Something is not good just because it's new or just because it's old. Quality doesn't depend on timing.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Me too! I could have done that in MS Word for free!

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

We aren't the only ones who feel like that. I know the rest of my family feels the same way, too. I just try not to think about the $100,000 that made its way to Oregon as part of the deal.

bay,

SWISH.

The most outrageous thing about it is that they could at least have kept the money in-state, you know?

What the heck! They could have let the contract to some design students at KU; that would have payed for a few instate college educations, even in this day and age.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Exactly! And I'm pretty sure that was Kansas taxpayer money since it was the University and not the athletic department making the deal. The Oregonians didn't exactly reinvent the wheel here. It would have been nice to keep that money in-state (if it had to be spent.) That's why I try not to think about it.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

I see your point, but that type of statistic plays out better in pro football than in college basketball, IMHO.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Where did Bill McNeil go? He's the one I was responding to for 95% of the posts above.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

As I said above, now it looks like we had an argument with ourselves.

I think we are on the same page, though.

T_Man_JayhawkNation 2 years, 2 months ago

Our sloppy passes, turnovers and bad foul shooting kept it close for WVU. We should have blown them away! I am still waiting for that break out game in conference play that solidifies our place as an elite team! The talent is there, but other teams seem to slow the pace, and we get sucked into their game plan and play like a non ranked team. You could tell it on Self's face last night, how the boy's made it hard on themselves by letting WVU back into the game. Just glad to come away with a road win as ugly as it was!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

We looked like crap.

Hate to say it, folks, but this team is in desparate need of a loss soon. We limp through conference play like this, and that loss will come in the NCAA tournament....early.

Just a thought.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

At Baylor, ISU or Okie State I am afraid may just fulfill your wishes.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

All for the greater good, my friend.

Search your feelings, young Oakville...you know it to be true.

Mick Allen 2 years, 2 months ago

So this is an "ugly" 19 and 1 team. Chill out. You are sounding like the "wine and cheese" crowd Roy used to refer to. HCBS will have the offense running much more efficiently come March. This is the "ugly" style of play that you see so often in the tournament.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm tired of reading comments telling those of us who are understandably worried about the bad habits of this 19-1 team not to worry.

This team has flaws, it is vulnerable. All it will take is the right team with the right game plan to hand us a loss when it is the most painful. We realize that they are still a very good team (bad teams don't rank #3 in defensive efficiency and #19 in offensive efficiency), but we also understand that they have things that need to be fixed if we want to get to the ultimate goal.

I don't mind winning ugly and tough against teams like KSU on the road, and I'm even okay with how the Texas game played out, but having this kind of game against the likes of Texas Tech and West Virginia--even on the road--is not good. These are teams that, even if we aren't blowing them out, we should never doubt the outcome. I can't say I actually doubted we would win, simply because WVU is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad at shooting the ball. But when you have to make free throws down the stretch to hold your lead, the game was in doubt until the final buzzer.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Not so much 'in doubt' when you only need to make half of them . . .

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Reub, remember last year? Conf Tourney semi-final filled that "desperate need" quite nicely, I'd say. Tanking one that week is completely harmless. A loss in a Regional semi-final or final means we can brush up on the lyrics to "Good Night, Irene."

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

I had mentioned a while back my thoughts about this team finding its "character." Right now, unfortunately, it's not positive. That can change. And we are lucky that we're playing this way. Yes, lucky.

We can be fooled by winning. That sounds weird, but if you are playing inferior opponents, then it can be deceiving. We have been playing some inferior opponents. Since our peak -- the win on the road vs. Ohio St. -- our performances have been mediocre at best. In the win-loss column, all that matters is the W. And if all we're playing for is a Big 12 title, then we are doing that. But our goal is to win a national title. This is not a national title type team right now .. right now. We are floundering in a sea of mediocrity -- at our level. Yes, we're 18-1. But what we're talking about is simply playing well by our standards, and our talent level. There were concerns voiced by some that we would not be tested enough by our Big 12 schedule heading into tournament play. I disagreed with that at the time. Now I agree. That is a concern as of now. We have had one Big 12 test, really .. at KSU.

The current character of this team is not to stomp on the throat. We could have ended the game last night quickly, and painlessly.Up by 15. But we didn't. Such is what we've been in January. A few open shots fall by our opponents and things go a different way.

But this is where things get good. We aren't "peaking too early." We're not clicking just yet. We can get moving, ramp this baby up, learn our lessons, and be playing our best ball in March. Seasons have their peaks and valleys .. right now, we're in a valley. Death Valley in January. And we still have won games. Death Valley is really mediocre valley -- go through the motions, play sloppy, hang on and win.

We play true road tests at OSU, ISU, OU, and Baylor. Maybe tested at home vs. KSU and OSU. I like our remaining schedule. And I really like that this team is perhaps learning by struggling as Self said. Yes, we have 4 seniors .. but this is about a team's character. As a unit.

February is a new month. I suspect by the end of February, we'll have a different .. and better .. opinion of the character of this team.

This team can win the title. We'll know a lot in 30 days.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

This KU team is getting a bad rap for "playing ugly," but this team's identity (as well as most of Bill Self's teams) is centered around playing great defense. And KU has done that game-in and game-out this season. Offensively, we have struggled all year with turnovers (mainly due to Elijah's bad decision making), but I can't find too many things to criticize about our defense. Jeff Withey's and Travis Releford's spectacular play on that end of the court keeps opponents from shooting a good FG%, which makes it tough for teams to win. Couple that with KU's ability to shoot a high FG% game-in and game-out, and you have a recipe for an ugly win. I don't know if that will hurt us or help us come March, but it's good to know that this team can win even if its PG isn't playing well.

Colby Hebert 2 years, 2 months ago

Long long time reader, first time poster.

If the uniforms had glossy crimson numbers, they would have been great. As it was, it looked like the blue man group playing basketball.

I see some doom and gloom. If we make some free throws this is a workmanlike win on the road in a very hostile environment. Ya West Virginia has a bad record but that crowd was at times as jacked as any home crowd we will see. Wow. Also across the bench a coach with 741 wins who threw the kitchen sink at us. He needed and wanted this game desperately. I have never seen so many fouls it was a 2 and a half hour game almost. I am glad we got out of there with a W and in one piece.

As far as our offensive woes, we need someone who can feed the post. I mean someone who can just toss it in there without having to have the perfect angle, Usually our point guard can do it and we even had glue guys and role players who could in the past. We do not have that at all right now, we do not have that much production from the front court really. We will just have to move the ball really well side to side to do it then.

One last thought, I know this may make me sound like a homer, but what if the Celtics picked up Tyshawn Taylor and just said, slash and dash son. Could he not at least be a poor man's Rajon Rondo and fit with what the Celtics have been doing? I am dead serious. Tyshawn is a freak of nature like Rajon. Both are long, both struggled to really fit in with the college game. I could see Tyshawn being better in the pros than he was in college like Rondo. They just seem to have some strange similarities and Rajon has a torn ACL and Tyshawn does not.

Tyshawn Taylor for the Celtics 2013!!!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

I like the Tyshawn/Rajon reference. I always thought Tyshawn's style of play was eerily similar to Rajon's.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

The same thought occurred to me. He would be a perfect fit in Boston, and could probably be of help to that team.

Steven Mathew 2 years, 2 months ago

Am I the only that thinks these uniforms are similar to the NBA Christmas jerseys (e.g. Oklahoma City Thunder)?

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

they are, NBA jerseys are made by Adidas.

Colby Hebert 2 years, 2 months ago

About our inferior competition....

Iowa State and Oklahoma State get votes in the polls. Oklahoma and Baylor are not playing badly. When the dust settles after conference play we could have 3-4 ranked teams and send 5-6 teams to the tourney. This is the Big 12 and we are winning on the road struggling on offense. There are not many teams with just 1 loss. It could be a lot worse. We could be in a dogfight for the Big 12 title.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

2013 has "inferior competition" everywhere but the B1G (minus NWU,PU,IaU) and BigEast (throwing out bottom four). This fact is masked by Fla, Az, Miami playing in the #5,6,7 strongest conferences but still getting recognition from habits of past years. KU schedule has been favorable in getting the top BXII teams (except KSU) in AFH before seeing them on the road. Trips to Ames, Norman, Waco, Stillwater will be different than Morgantown, Lubbock, Ft Worth, even Austin. We shall see what we will see.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

My point was Bill Self's teams always seem to rally after losses, so it won't be the end of the world if we drop one or two.

The mentality of this team has changed. They used to be seem more hard-working, chip-on-their-shoulder, and focused. I saw stints last night that were careless and arrogant.

I'm glad they keep winning, but Self needs to find a way to regain their focus. As of right now, my fear that we may have peaked too early appears to be coming to fruition.

Hopefully a week off will help, and hopefully Self can get them refocused without losing.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'd appreciate it if they rallied after a win !

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

Agree... No need to wait until losing a game. I still think we have a shot of going undefeated in conference but even in a down year, it is no easy task. There are several good teams in the Big 12 that will be hard to beat on the road.

I would rank the Big Ten as the toughest conference this year and probably the SEC comes in second. I would have the Big 12 in third although I'm sure others might choose the Pac 12. With all the realignment taking place which I think will continue muddies up the water.

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 2 months ago

... But why hasn't anyone mentioned the hideous uniforms?

Ben Kane 2 years, 2 months ago

I don't think it's panic time on our offense at all. look at the other scores around the country last night. it doesn't matter if we score in the 50s/60s if our defense refuses to let anyone score more than us.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

I've seen monkey crap fights at the zoo that looked more organized than our offense last night.

67coronet 2 years, 2 months ago

Uniforms are awful! You can't tell who the players are, what school is represented! Look like practice uniforms.

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

Wonder what the refs think of the uniforms. Maybe the numbers are easier to see in person than they are are TV.

Colby Hebert 2 years, 2 months ago

To be a great team we need Ellis and Naadir to continue to progress and we need one of our guards to become what Bill Self would call an assassin. I am afraid Elijah is just not wired that way. Naadir or Ben then I hope. Or both!

I do not think we can ask much more of Withey and Releford. Young just has to keep his energy up and not have lapses in focus.

A lot of people were scared when Ben hurt his ankle, but to me he is the icing. Where would we be if we lost Releford? Along with Withey he is what the cake is made of.

n17987 2 years, 2 months ago

one of the basic fundamentals of the game of basketball is passing. KU's lack of effort in this area as well as failure on the front end of 1-1's, lack of leadership at the guard position and getting faked out of their jockstraps on shot attempts will soon lead to the disappointing loss that is right around the corner. Apparently the lack of discipline in practice for failure to pay attention is not at a level that players will understand that a penalty is forthcoming for sloppiness. "Everyone get on the LINE".

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 2 months ago

Bleak? We're 19-1. We're #2 in the country.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

They are going to be wearing throwbacks against TCU I believe to honour the 1988 national championship team.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

The turning point was changing the call on Staten's 3-no, 2 pointer.

Being down two instead of just one convinced the Mountaineers they never would get over the hump, even when Jayhawks didn't make a field goal and only half their free throws the last six minutes.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 2 months ago

Didn't see any pictures of our cheerleaders. We're they dressed as Smurfette to complement the team?

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm a little worried about the team, but I'm not too worried.

Self really hasn't showed much of anything yet. He has a lot more cards in his hand that he is holding onto for when we really need them.

Right now we are winning ugly and doing it without much strategy what-so-ever.

That doesn't excuse the sloppy passing at all. But defenses know exactly what to expect from us right now, and Self has the solution to that. He just doesn't want anybody to see it yet.

Michigan is going to lose on Saturday to Indiana, and Kansas could be number 1 with a home win over Okie State. If we play poorly do we get leapfrogged by Indiana? I doubt it. The voters are just salivating over us waiting for that first loss so that they can drop us to the bottom of the top 10. After all, we look more like a 9 or 10 ranked team than a #1 ever since New Years.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree on the strategy from coach. And I think this is a bit of an evolution on his part. I think, starting last year, he realized that having n "ace up the sleeve" if you will, is a pretty potent weapon especially for games in the tourney where the teams might not be that familiar with us.

Ethan Berger 2 years, 2 months ago

I liked the jerseys, thought they were a nice change up. However the whites from last year to celebrate the 52(?) team are jerseys I would like us to go back to. Now let's move on to real talk. Our offense since conf play has been just as bad as big 10 offense. I've been thinking maybe for one game Bill shakes it up some. Start Naddir and Perry, having EJ and KY come off the bench. Both guys to me provide more offense. However both also are not as good defenders or as smart as players as EJ and KY. But Naddir is a true point who can distribute better then EJ. Also, Rel needs to get aggressive. He has an incredible fg% since that first month. He passed up open shots, also needs to pump fake. He should be a 15 ppg guy. I would love to see White get comfy. Hes shooting has been poor as of late. Self needs to let him get all those bugs out of his stomach. Of course what I said is from the couch and Bill Self knows this team better. But maybe for one game, a change up might not be so bad.

dumbarton 2 years, 2 months ago

When we were up big and still early in the game we (uncharacteristically) made wholesale substitutions with Traylor, Tharpe, Ellis and White in the game at the same time. I'm not sure why Self did that as we were playing well and had a chance to bury WVA. This move allowed WVA to get back into the game. The subs are 19 games into the season and performed like it was November. Our bench was outscored 35 to 5. Maybe he did it to see how they would perform as a unit....and got his answer.

Colby Hebert 2 years, 2 months ago

It was almost like Self took his foot of their throats out of respect.

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 2 months ago

Self: ever the tinkerer. Trying to find an edge for a later dte

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

Exactly the comment/question I made to my son at that point in the game. I love to see those players get more playing time > but not at that particular moment. The result was immediate, and obviously game changing > for the rest of the game.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you think the seniors feel "If we want to play big minutes, we'd better keep it close"?

CalBBaller 2 years, 2 months ago

Everyone is concerned about the uniforms. an earlier poster said they were for the kids and not the older folks. He is right. Who cares what uniforms they wear as long as they play well and win? Unfortunately this team is not playing well. Call it playing ugly or whatever you like, the fact is that they are not playing well and certainly not like a top-tier team. I hope I am wrong, but I see a hot shooting mid-major beating the Hawks in the second round this year. We are fortunate that the Big 12 is a down basketball league this year.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

Watching that game and looking at the picture above proves WVU is a good addition to the Big12. Their crowd was great. Now I haven't studied this, but other than ISU and KS who else sells out when we play them? Our league needs basketball schools. If Huggy can recruit some kids to the country roads of WVU maybe they'll become a very tough place to play.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, but their basketball IQ is not much higher than, say, K-State's.

They booed absolutely everything. They don't understand that you can't go over the back, you can't reach in, and....I can't stress this enough...you have to have possession of the ball before you travel with it.

How much were they complaining about travelling when our guys didn't even have possession of the ball yet (i.e. going after lose balls)?

They have a lot to learn. If any of you caught their student newspaper yesterday, you'd know what I'm talking about. They needed a "cheat sheet" to remind them when to cheer and which player to boo the most (in this case, Withey).

BainDread 2 years, 2 months ago

Their crowd was great? Then why was the area half-empty the last five minutes of a close game against the #1/#2 team in the country? Yes it was 11:30 local time, but......

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

11:30 probably had something to do with it, but I was really comparing it to the Big 12 teams, especially Texas teams where they play to half empty arena's even when they're ranked.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

yeah that was kind of strange.

Emptied out while they were still very much in it. Reminded me of a KU football game...minus the being "in it" part.

hawk_of_ages 2 years, 2 months ago

"If Huggy can recruit some kids to the country roads of WVU maybe they'll become a very tough place to play."

You realize Huggins has already taken WVU to the Final Four, right? It is, has been, and will be a tough place to play.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking all of their success was under Beilein. You're right, nice catch!

mejayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

If my name was Staten, I think I'd find a different way to pronounce it.

Hawkville 2 years, 2 months ago

I wasn't too pleased with the new unis, but I hope we never show up in those awful gray unis some teams like.

jgkojak 2 years, 2 months ago

Hated the uniforms - I think they're distracting and frankly we just need to be focused on basics right now.

This team is poised for a loss - my Admiral Akbar "It's a Trap!" nominee is at Oklahoma

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

@Baylor, KSU in AFH, OkSt twice could also be tough.

misfire 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm 74 years old and have a small TV. If I can't see the names and numbers, I might as well listen to Bob Davis.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 2 months ago

Or get a bigger TV. They make those, you know.

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

Come on, HEM -unnecessarily poor wise crack.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

Agreed, HEM. I read your posts faithfully and you're too good for that.

nostradavid 2 years, 2 months ago

Listen to Bob and Greg anyway - they are the best! I haven't listened to a tv announcer on a KU game in many years. The ridiculous 14 second delay ESPN has been running this year will give you advance warning when something worth seeing will happen. It's enough time to go to the kitchen and grab a beer. The other networks don't run much of a delay at all.

A few thoughts...

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, but I can't stand how little zip that our passes have. We are just writing a script on one of the things you need to do as an opponent to beat us: gamble in the passing lanes out front because we will inevitably throw 2-5 ill-advised, soft-arcing passes where a defender can either pick it off or knock it away with sound fundamental defense (extending arms even when not looking towards the ballhandler). The thing that makes it so frustrating is because, unlike missed free throws, it's something that's preventable 99% of the time. Combine better decision-making with techniques like a pass fake or giving the ball some velocity and most of those types of bonehead plays where we give up a run out go away. Letting WVU get back within 2 points after having them down 15 early is simply unacceptable. Even on the road.

But back to free throws. I know it's super frustrating to watch guys give away free points at the free throw line. Especially otherwise good FT shooters like Withey, and then White III and even Ellis. But no matter how good a FT shooting team you have, there will simply be outlier games like this. We shoot 72.1% from the line as a team, which is a reasonbly decent percentage. It's good for 81st overall in the country, which sounds bad until you realize that most of the 80 teams in front of us are small schools from small conferences, who aren't even in the national conversation regarding things like the NCAA tournament. The only title contenders ahead of us in team FT% are Indiana (67th) and Arizona (21st). We're third in the Big 12, behind only OSU and OU. As long as we aren't in the bottom of the rankings (81st out of 347 is just fine) from that standpoint, I think we just need to accept that there will be games like this. It's not like we have a consistently bad problem, like the 2008 Memphis squad, which ranked 329th nationally with a team FT of 61.4%. I'd rather our team spend it's spare practice time working on passing drills than shooting free throws.

(to be continued...)

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

I especially like your suggestion to fake a routine pass more often – it's likely to leave someone's back door wide open.

(...continued)

Regarding individual players:

Perry Ellis seemed to take a minor step backwards last night. I'm not sure if he did something that Self didn't like, but he only got 11 minutes, even with Withey a little bit hobbled by that first half ankle tweak. He seemed aggressive to me, but he didn't grab a single rebound in those 11 minutes. Maybe that was Self's issue, because it should be unacceptable for a player like Ellis to fail to grab a single rebound in that much playing time.

I saw several comments to the effect of "there went AWIII's chance to get playing time", but I have to disagree. I don't think Self is going to yank playing time based on a poor shooting night--especially for a guy like Andrew, who we know can shoot the ball well. He yanked down 4 rebounds in 6 minutes (that's what Ellis should be doing), so while Self may not want White taking crunch-time minutes in a big game (until he works through his shooting issues), I think he will continue to get spot minutes off the bench when KU has a need at the 2, 3 and maybe even 4 positions. If for no other reason than to keep Ellis from resting on his laurels.

Withey was outstanding, as usual. It's going to be a crying shame when he gets snubbed for first team All American for some pogo stick who weighs 95 lbs when wet, but has crazy "potential". Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Kevin Young has to be shooting worse on layups than he is anywhere else on the floor. That is all.

Releford also had a good game on defense, but made some fairly cringe-worthy turnovers. I hope he is figuring out that we need him to be the third option scoring punch. After McLemore and Withey, we expected Johnson to carry a lot of load, and I think he ultimately will come tournament time, but right now, he's just off, and Releford needs to use his talents to fill in the gap.

(to be concluded...)

(...concluded)

All that being said, I'm just happy for the win. I just hope this team doesn't start looking at the nearly empty loss column and thinking that they are golden. I can't help but be a tiny bit reminded of that 2005 team that was also heavy with upperclassmen and started the season 20-1. The went on to lose 6 of their final 9 games (including a 3-game losing streak). We all know how that season ended.

I also wanted to mention something that HEM's post made me think of: it's a blessing that we can be playing this lackluster and still have full control of our destiny. We still have time, not only to get things fixed in time for a deep tourney run, but we are in the driver's seat of the Big 12 championship race in spite of looking pretty awful for most of the Big 12 season. Here's hoping that they are able to correct the mistakes and make that deep tourney run.

railer20 2 years, 2 months ago

As far as the jerseys go...HOLY CRAP PEOPLE, CHILL OUT! I don't think they were the greatest thing but if you read you know that EVERY Addidas school agreed to wear them at least once. Judging by Bill's comment they won't be worn again.

jaycard 2 years, 2 months ago

Bad superpower guy from Krypton in SupermanII.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

I had a great business mentor once tell me that you get to a certain point in your life and you "are what you are"; you're not necessarily capable of "reinventing" yourself. If you apply this same principle to our beloved Jayhawks, then let's just expect the sloppiness and embrace our winning ugly! We are 19-1. Let's tap the brakes a little and enjoy the ride. There's a long way to go till March Madness!

KansasComet 2 years, 2 months ago

Been saying it all along about enjoying the ride. Thanks, good post.

Steve Reigle 2 years, 2 months ago

I did NOT like not being able to see the numbers on the uniforms on TV. Whose brilliant idea was that?

theend 2 years, 2 months ago

As far as I know.....there is no law or regulation that requires basketball teams to be great on offense.....or be great shooters. Sure....I wish we were......but we're not. But I say.....WHO CARES??????? We win!! We always win!!! That's what matters.

If we win the Big 12 ....or the NC.....will we be on here complaining about the offense?????? I wont be. I don't care how they win......as long as we win!!!!!!

19-1. take a minute and think about that just before yuou are about to come on here and complain.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

The 2005 team (also heavily laden with seniors who had all been to multiple Final Fours) was 20-1 at one point.

Do I need to continue?

theend 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh....I see we have an historian here. Ok......let's talk about 1988........how many losses did they have????? Ummmmmm.....call me crazy......but I don't think they were perfect either. Let me guess.....you're the "half-empty" type of guy. There's a stretch. If KU wins the NC.....You will probably be on here complaining about our shooting percentage during the game. So .....yes....you do need to continue. Raining today......cloudy.....dismal.....perfect weather for you, right?

theend 2 years, 2 months ago

Oh....it's the grammar police. This is KU basketball, loser. Maybe you can find a grammar chat board.

Um.

I'm only pointing out that looking at the W-L record and pulling the "we're winning, so don't worry!!!" routine is a potential recipe for disappointment. I'm in no way saying this team is incapable of a deep tourney run.

Don't be an idiot. If KU wins the national title, I will be as elated as any KU fan and won't give a crap about shooting percentage (or any other individual factor) because at that point, the ultimate goal has been achieved and those stats don't matter. But right NOW, while we're watching a team try to develop itself into a national champion, those flaws are potentially things that KEEP us from that ultimate goal.

I'm not a "half empty" or "half full" type of guy. I'm a "glass half realistic" kind of guy. And a realistic look at this team shows some real problems that could end up biting us in the long run. COULD. Not WILL.

The 2005 team lost 6 of 9 to end the season, including a first round loss to Bucknell (since you asked me to continue). Of course, that team wasn't as good defensively as this one, so that is definitely a plus for us.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

If your ????? is serious, they had eleven losses and over 30 games missed by injured players. The Miracle was that Danny wasn't one of them (and Billy Tubbs crapped his pants when run&gun game was 52-all at halftime).

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

From the Washington State game up to when we played Temple, this team showed just how good they can be offensively.

I cannot see us making it to the final four if our offense isn't preforming up to their potential. There has been times that this team remind me of the team that lost to VCU. BUT if we continue to win (19-1 is pretty well) then maybe

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 2 months ago

Tully Corcoran of Fox Sports attempted to breakdown KU and Michigan to determine who should really be #1.

He gave the post edge to KU. The PG edge to Michigan. the wing edge to KU. the coaching edge to KU. mentioned KU's win at Ohio State vs Michigan's loss at Ohio State. Mentioned KU's 4 pt win at KSU vs Michigan's 14 pt win against KU on a neutral court.

He then went on to say that he thinks Michigan would win.

Why even do the analysis and the breakdown if you are going to ignore it when you make your prediction!

Agreed.

But after last night, the number of "cool uniforms" we have is still at the number it was before last night. I think they can do better.

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

The blue on blue works for the UCLA uni because of their big block letters. Also, in that picture it looks like the lettering was a darker shade than the rest of the jersey.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Here's a thought....... I wonder what the comments would have been about the uniforms if we had exhibited our best offensive night of the year and topped 100 points against a home team with a 80% plus winning percentage against visiting teams playing in their venue for the first time.

Just asking. I know the uniforms would have still been monkey-butt ugly, but maybe they would have been deemed magical!!!

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Instead of jokes about the unis making us play like garbage, the jokes would have been about the unis making our opponent play like garbage due to how ugly they were.

Actually, in fairness, I didn't think they were that "ugly", just not particularly interesting.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 2 years, 2 months ago

meh.

Pretty sure people would be complaining about them.

As avid KU basketball fans, we always find something to rant about.

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure you're right Reub but my complaint isn't that they're ugly but that they're useless. Isn't a uniform supposed to identify a player? These failed horribly on tv at least. It's my understanding they look pretty cool in person.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you think Adiddas is angling for a cut of HDTV sales?

Red,

This reminds me of the old joke.

The guy goes to the doctor.

He says, "Doc, I went to another doctor and he said I was stupid. I want a second opinion."

The second doctor says, "You're ugly, too."

The uniforms don't work.

And they're ugly, too. :-)

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

That's what happened with the Trajan font.

We switched to it in 2007-08 (the year we won the NC, obviously). All the graphic artists I know hated it (me included) and thought it did a poor job representing KU basketball. But since we won the NC wearing that font everyone thought it magical. It isn't. It's just boring.

So, yeah, people like me would still be complaining big time.

Greg Lux 2 years, 2 months ago

Awful awful awful..... That's the best I have to say about those uniforms. Please can the idiot who approved that design.

Rock Chalk

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

Nice sit-down with Andy Katz -- enjoy!

Here's a snippet:

What does this team need to do between now and Selection Sunday to compete for the title?

"We're going to have to stay healthy. We have to get to a point where we defend better and be sound defensively. We've got to bring our freshmen along to a point and Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor and get us 16 points collectively, and I don't think we're that far away."

Kye Clark 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for the link. It was an enjoyable read. Scrolled down to the comments though and encountered a nasty debate between KU fans & Wichita State fans about why the two teams don't play each other. Silly.

TexasRockChalk 2 years, 2 months ago

Yeah I don't get that. We are too classy for that kind of smack talk.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"In Which jaybate Posits a REAL (fake) Conspiracy Theory"

Part 1

Since I get absurdly accused of conspiracy theorizing without doing so, I have decided that if you can't beat the conspiracy theory smearists, join in with them. :-)

I, jaybate, do hereby and forthwith take a blood oath in the Skull and Bones crypt somewhere at Yale to posit my first, REAL, GOSPEL, total and utter conspiracy theory EVER!

And this baby is an interstellar mind bender.

It is going to knock your athletic socks off and blow the cover off maybe the greatest threat to Division 1 in history, certainly since Chucks were so sinisterly eclipsed by first Puma and then by everything including Birks, Earth Shoes, Skeechers and those weird running shoes at REI with the discete toes.

All assumptions, facts, inferences and conclusions are valid and empirically verified at a 95% confidence interval, even though I'm going to black box all of it in the style of all really good conspiracy theories.

This is REAL!

It is really REAL!

It is REEEEEALY, REEALLY going on. RIGHT NOW!!! Its a conspiracy theoretical fact, JACK and JILL.

Freemasons have taken over Addidas.

(Pause for shock to wear off.)

Not only Freemasons, but Black Jesuits, too.

(Pause even loooooonger.)

There is also reason to believe that Al Qaeda (aka the toilet), members of a global Zionist conspiracy, a global Christian conspiracy, a global Hindu conspiracy, certain YMCA officials, the Future Farmers of America, the Tongs, a modern dance troop in Schenectady, and one illustrious Singapore chess team, are involved, too.

Its a joint venture conspiracy.

This conspiracy is REEEEEEALy big.

I would go so far as to call it HUUUUUUUUUGE.

Part 2

At its dark heart, it IS a conspiracy between the Illuminati and the Vatican, maybe even suburban Rome. Its the first time these groups have ever conspired together on anything and this is a proven conspiracy theory, an empirical fact.

Its happening. NOW!!! They are standing behind me right now as I type this. They are brandishing all kinds of occult and orthodox religious artifacts ranging from carbon fiber replicas of gargoyles in St. Peters to bodhi tree acorns made from kidney stones found in mysteriously radiated newts.

So what's the conspiracy?

Simple. BigManU explained it to me. BigManU is even in on it. He says I am even in on it, and just don't know it yet.

By acting as shadowy forces behind Addidas, these groups are using "tone out" technology to slowly migrate all uniforms into one single universal uniform!

It is starting out as "tests" with schools like KU. They SAY it is only a test, but it is in fact a first step down a diabolically sinister slippery slope. The first step is to make the uniforms of a school monochromatic--to make school names, numbers and player names hard to see, leaving only the manufacturer's logo highly visible.

But that's only the first step, people.

Once the conspirators have engineered all of the teams into monochromatic, tone out jerseys, the next step is to migrate the colors of all the uniforms of all the schools (in tiny, barely perceptible increments of course) to something called "color out grey."

When the migration is finally complete every Division 1 basketball team will be wearing uniforms of identical fabric and coloration. The only thing you will be able to see are the manufacturer's logos.

BigManU showed me actual swatches of the material, when I was locked in a green tractor beam and lifted high up to a revolving Holiday Inn dining room, where the conspiracy meets regularly for brunches of unmentionable things and various malted beverages.

Part 3

This material not only looks like television tuned to a dead channel (props to Willie Gib), the material actually is television tuned to a dead channel!!!!!

The conspiracy has used a race of super scientists cloned from the genes of WWII Nazi scientists to develop a fabric that is actually a digital matrix that can be tailored into uniforms, even jock straps, and these uniforms can stream commercials by blue tooth connection with internet hot spots embeded into the cracks of the hardwood floors!!!!!!!

Now the key here is that this is all undeniably illegal to do.

No where in the common law, or legislated legal code, or even in constitution circumventing executive orders, does it say that dark forces aligned in conspiracy are allowed to high jack a highly respected athletic shoe corporation, clone super scientists from a villainous gene pool, and then use these super scientists to develop fabric that not only is used to converge all D1 schools into wearing identical uniforms the color of television tuned to a dead channel, but then to use this to stream commercials nonstop during games on the players uniformed bodies, as they run, jump and generally play basketball.

I know what people are going to say. They are going to say, "No, flipping way, jaybate, BigManU would never be a part of a conspiracy theory like this. Even YOU, jaybate would not be a part of a conspiracy theory like this."

And, of course, they would be right.

(Note: all fiction. No malice. Addidas is a great corporation that is trying to help KU get better. It just so happens it didn't work out well this particular time with these uniforms IMHO. But I still love those shoes. Rock Chalk Addidas! Keep trying to innovate.)

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Not Read McNeil, great to hear from you.

Are you upset that I didn't include you?

Redlandsjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

You might be on to something. I'm going to the YMCA later, I'll see if I can sniff anything out.

Great post Jaybate. My second laugh this morning. The first being the caveman/ Rigel3 thread above.

Hi illbastardita,

That would be a firm NO.

Do you call bluffing in bridge a conspiracy too? :-)

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

So, you would characterize bridge as a conspiracy and theorize this conspiracy of bridge players in the guise of being a conspiracy theorist? :-)

ill,

I do try to respond to your posts. I'm responding right now. Sometimes I may overlook one. Or sometimes I may just not know how to respond. I wouldn't call it a chosen path either. Its just common curtesy, when I respond, or sometimes it is to clarify, or to try to be helpful.

P.S. to illbastardita,

Conspiracy and theory have specific, defined meanings in Merriam Webster. You can look them up. I have explored this issue before.

They can denote certain things.

They also have connotations. And these connotations are subject to considerable interpretation and variation.

When joined together, they appear often to be used by jerks, or disinformers, or particularly angry persons not only to try to discredit another person's statement,or position, but they also appear to be used to smear the credibility of the other person, also.

Surely, illbastardita agrees that the use of the terms "conspiracy theory" and "conspiracy theorist" are frequently misused and misapplied, and frequently used to smear decent persons honestly expressing their own opinion on subjects. :-)

Jack Jones 2 years, 2 months ago

"and you are attempting to tell me this because.........?

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I am so glad you liked it.

Alas, I don't think we can expect illbastardita to share in our mirth. :-)

Absolutely not.

Just read a little bit of our posts and the style difference will become quite clear. That's a far better way to determine if two people are the same than something as superficial as post length.

Also, the only time I post those multiple-part comments is when I want to collect all my observations from a game in a single post. I would be surprised if you can find a single thread where I've posted more than one multi-part post. Jaybate, by comparison, will sometimes post several on a single thread. This particular thread is one such example.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

marchphog88 is too intelligent and insightful to be compared to jaybate.

best regards, jaybate

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

Methinks you doth protest too much.

There are lots of adjectives that come to mind for describing your posts, but lacking intelligence or insight isn''t on the list.

If my post seemed to take offense at the comparison, it was really more about the idea that any long writeup is the same as any other long writeup. Only a tiny bit of reading would make it obvious that we have different writing styles.

march,

Grammy jaybate always said, "Learn to take a compliment."

You must listen to my grandmother.

Huh.

Seems like THE_REAL_DEAL (etc.) just got disappearededed

Sam Constance 2 years, 2 months ago

On that note, it would also be nice if disappearededed accounts still had some indication of their former presence on the message boards. It's annoying to look like I'm having a conversation with an imaginary friend when there was in fact someone in between my posts.

Ironically, I make this point as I comment on my own comment, effectively having a conversation with myself.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Some Hypotheses Probably Not Explaining the Trial Uniforms"

~They were part of a plan to apply the new 3D technology in D1 Hoops. In order to read the jerseys in 3D (or at all), you had to subscribe to the Tone Out 3D Sports Network for $199.00/month and they would give you "Tone In" glasses.

~It was a wily plan by Keegs to up the clicks for a couple days.

~It had something to do with the terrorist event in Benghazi.

~The uniforms were meant to be an exceedingly sophisticated, post-post-modern allusion to the end of meaning in Western Civilization.

~It was an effort to appeal to that vast sub market of fans that are sick and tired of being able to read what's on the jerseys.

~It was an attempt to see if the fans really are watching.

~It was a conspiracy of conspiracy theory smearists created to give them something to smear conspiratorially.

~It was a deep state psy-ops program to confuse certain color blind persons into thinking Kansas is really a blue state.

~It was an attempt to economize on red iink in a time of global red ink.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

nostradavid 2 years, 2 months ago

Honorary Kansas Day conspiracy theory: Blame Gov. Brownbackside.

mdalesh 2 years, 1 month ago

I just want to say a couple things. My brother and I met for Baylor and stayed a couple days. I'm 1979 he's 1981. Although growth of commerce is amazing, it's still Lawrence. My Couple things: 1. Those uniforms sucked! I realize they contractly had to wear them, but please no more. Made me think too much. You couldn't see numbers or names so u nless you visually know the team you were lost.