Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Bob Huggins: KU’s Bill Self ‘a guy who can really coach’

Coach Bill Self laughs at a call in the second-half of the Jayhawks 61-56 win against the Mountaineers Monday night at West Virginia University.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over West Virginia

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 61-56 win over West Virginia on Jan. 28, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WVU

— Bob Huggins had just watched his team lose to second-ranked Kansas University, 61-56, Monday night after losing the battle of the boards, 36-27.

The Mountaineers trailed by 15 points in the first half but twice came within two points with the ball in the second half.

Huggins tends toward candor, so it was a good time to ask him a question on the minds of many who follow the Jayhawks: Does Kansas’ No. 2 ranking say more about how good it is or more about the quality of play in college basketball this year?

“Kansas is good,” Huggins said. “It’s not like they’re one of those teams that plays nobody in the preseason and gets ranked. They play people in the preseason. Bill (Self) does a great job. They’re playing three fifth-year seniors. They’re playing a sophomore (red-shirt freshman Ben McLemore) that played with them in practice every day (of second semester), wasn’t allowed to participate, but practiced with them, and from what I hear may be a top-five pick in the draft.

“You’ve got a guy who can really coach, and then you’ve got all that experience. They’ve got the best of both worlds. They’ve got experience, and then they have youthful enthusiasm. Sometimes when you have fifth-year guys, it gets a little, you know, mundane, when you do the same thing all the time. When you have an influx of youth, it kind of rejuvenates them. So I think they’ve got a great combination.”

The highlight of the night for the Mountaineers came in forcing 16 Kansas turnovers.

“I think if we do what we are supposed to do, we can turn over just about anybody when you put on that much pressure,” Huggins said. “Did I think they would shoot 34 foul shots and we would shoot 15? No.

“We, up until about a week ago, made more free throws than our opposition had shot. We were No. 1 in that in the power six conferences. (Jeff) Withey has a lot to do with that. I understand that.”

West Virginia (9-11 overall, 2-5 in the Big 12) has lost four games in a row.

Comments

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

I appreciate his candor, but does he have to be so sour all the time? That interview at the half was priceless!

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

“We, up until about a week ago, made more free throws than our opposition had shot."

Last night it seemed like we missed more free throws than they shot. And I don't mean that in a funny way. But I am proud of my Jayhawks and hope they get some rest to be ready to play Saturday.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Um, I don't think it "seemed" that way. I think that's the truth. I think we had 16 MISSED FTs and I think they had 15 FTA's!

Scott Bonnet 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish the turnovers had been "forced." As it was, we made stupid pass after stupid pass. Our offense was really bad . . . again.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 8 months ago

I think it's very misleading to say that West Virginia "forced" 16 turnovers. Passing the ball to the wrong guy is not "forcing" anything. And I swear, if you had asked me at the end of the game I would have said KU had at least 30 turnovers. I'm amazed it was only 16.

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 8 months ago

What happened with him at Cincy again? I know he came to K-State with a bit of a cloud over his head... and yes, I'm too lazy to google it myself...

bayareajhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

He got a DUI. The video from the patrol car went viral because Huggins was obviously hammered. He said some pretty stupid things.

jjinks 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't drink and drive but I've seen folks that were stopped and asked questions like this and the best thing to do is ask them to try it first. Friend was asked to say the alphabet backwards and when he told the officer he'd like to hear him do it first the officer decided not to further his embarassment and let him go.

hartmd 1 year, 8 months ago

First time poster. Live in Roanoke, VA. Got to go the game last night. Third row seats right behind WVU bench (my kid saw me on ESPN!). Loved the game. Watching live from about 20 feet, I can tell you the television simply cannot convey the unbelievable athleticism of the Kansas players, especially on defense. They were everywhere, all the time. I was with a friend who was a walk-on at Duke about 40 years ago (and a WVU law grad). He was in awe.

Having said that, I have to say Huggins was awful. He was berating the Turk and the taller white kid that came in off the bench. To call it a tirade would understate, and the language would have made a Marine drill sargeant blush. He over-coached to the point of distraction for his team. It appeared for the first ten minutes or so that the WVU players were afraid to take a shot, less due to the Kansas defenders, and more out of fear of making a mistake and becoming an object of Huggins' abuse. My buddy told me he thought Huggins should be fired immediately.

Next year, I'll be shooting for seats behind the KU bench!!

ROCK CHALK!

FMTXJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

He can't be any different then Frankie over at KSU last year!

sbucks 1 year, 8 months ago

Huggy is a class act, it's good to have him back in the Big 12

FMTXJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Did anyone read HCBS comments to Andy Katz in this week's ESPN magazine? Katz: What would be your next move as coach? HCBS: I haven't looked at another situation seriously since I've been here. A lot was made of the Oklahoma State situation five years ago, but the timing wasn't right. And I don't see the timing being right any time in the near future.

Sounds like he might make that move someday...maybe after his son graduates?

okiedave 1 year, 8 months ago

Self knows that it is not always how good of a coach you are, but where you coach has a lot to do with it. At KU he is a good coach at a great BB school,, he is not going to risk that reputation and go to Okie State to become a good coach at a middle of the road BB school and struggle to just stay in the top half of the Big 12. Goodness, Boone Pickens had to purchase 4,000 tickets and give them away to students at OSU just to try to fill up the fieldhouse for a game against a top 10 team Gonzaga team. .

FMTXJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Just made me wonder why he left it opened end. I was watching OSU ans ISU tonight and GIA wasn't anywhere near full. I guess t.Boone didn't come thru tonight

nostradavid 1 year, 8 months ago

Huggins had to gush about Bill and KU; the $25,000 incentive clause in his contract if he can beat KU might lapse if he didn't.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Huggins is a great coach, one of the best in the big 12.