Originally published January 28, 2013 at 11:36a.m., updated January 28, 2013 at 01:11p.m.

Kansas is new No. 1 in USA Today coaches poll, No. 2 in AP

Kansas guard Travis Releford raises up the fieldhouse during a Jayhawk run against Oklahoma in the second half on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013.

The Kansas men's basketball team is the new No. 1 team in the USA Today coaches poll released Monday morning.

KU (18-1) picked up 16 of a possible 31 first-place votes and had 760 total points, compared to 757 points for No. 2 Michigan.

The Wolverines (19-1) grabbed 14 first-place votes, while No. 4 Florida had the other.

Indiana (No. 3) and Duke (No. 5) rounded out the top five.

It's the first No. 1 ranking for the Jayhawks since Feb. 14, 2011, and the 20th time it's happened under coach Bill Self at KU.

In the Associated Press poll released Monday afternoon, Michigan took the top spot, garnering 51 of 65 first-place votes. KU was second with 13 first-place votes, followed by Indiana, Florida (which picked up the other first-place vote) and Duke.

See how Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan voted in the AP poll.

Comments

fabian_zimbabwe 1 year, 7 months ago

Let's wear it well tonight in WV...RCJHKU!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Good and bad.

There's a world of difference between 1 and 2 in how teams will play against you. I think the majority of KU fans, from what I've noticed over the years, prefer not to be #1.

Ted Hume 1 year, 7 months ago

I sort of agree. Plus the old "#1 curse" for Big Monday. How many times have we come in with a new #1 ranking and lost on ESPN that very night. I recall it happening more than once in recent memory...

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't want to do the research, but I think you're right.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

The 'pressure' sensed by these guys will be a good experience and exposure that comes with the extra adrenaline being called the best in the land. They need this experience for March. More pressure, please.

mikehawk 1 year, 7 months ago

All this means are we are one loss away from a "court storm" and one loss of way of going down as a Number 1 seed. I would much more like to be a two or three seed no one is paying attention to, and who is the hunter and not the hunted. I guess it is good for the program, recruiting, and the fans...and maybe the players. Hopefully, we will get to enjoy this longer than Duke did.

adamjhwkfan 1 year, 7 months ago

We'd have to lose a few games to fall down to a different seed, we were #2 in this poll last week.. still a #1 seed.

adamjhwkfan 1 year, 7 months ago

We have 4 senior starters.. they've experienced this before. Congrats guys, now let's show them they were right!! RCJH

HawkKlaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Oh, look, it's basketball season and KU is ranked no. 1 again. Weird!

Ben Kane 1 year, 7 months ago

Lunardi already said we are his #1 overall as of now for this season.

gorilla10 1 year, 7 months ago

Looks like the new alternate jersey's KU will be wearing tonight will feature a bullseye on the back..........ROCK CHALK!!!

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

Nothing wrong with being #1...I love it and am sure the players love it as well. I'm sure that the players love actually being able to see their work pay off and be able to say they are #1.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Interestingly, that in general, the AP poll, made up of basketball sportswriters who probably didn't make their grade school jv teams carries more weight than the Coaches Poll, whose voters happen to be professionals who know more about the game than almost anybody.

Still, #2 works just fine for me...great recognition of a fine effort so far this season but also indicator that there is still room to grow and improve as a team.

Thirteen more victories to get HCBS to the ridiculous stat of averaging 30 wins a season for TEN YEARS STRAIGHT!!!

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

When the hell did it become a secret that the SID's are responsible for voting in the coaches poll? That's pretty common knowledge for those that are more than casual fans.

TxJyHwk 1 year, 7 months ago

Not only that, most of them vote without seeing much of the other teams playing. At least the sportswriters probably watch more of the teams play.

Eric Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

Also, coaches and even their assistants are generally too focused on their own teams and their conference foes to accurately assess the rest of the nation. In the AP poll, it's those sports writers jobs to follow the entire college basketball scene.

JayHok 1 year, 7 months ago

Anyone who hasn't seen the Withey Warhawk should take a look. Great work by the unofficial KU paintologist.

Hank Cross 1 year, 7 months ago

KU always has a bullseye on it and fans of lesser teams will always storm the court if they beat KU when KU has a high ranking, so this really doesn;t change anything, Win the regular season B12 title - as seems likely - and KU will get a No. 1 seed in the tourney.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

Here's the thing, KU has not even come close to playing up to their ability yet. If they are number 1 now and out of these teams, they probably have the biggest upside of all of them in the list. Tonight, they will have to show some improvement.

kellyrojo78 1 year, 7 months ago

.....and now we lose. Bulls eye!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree.....I've suddenly got these really uneasy feelings about tonight's game. K-State won there by 1 point in a dogfight I know.

jgkojak 1 year, 7 months ago

2 is fine. #1 is fine. It really doesn't matter...

It would be nice, were we to win out in the B12 and Michigan/Indiana get beat up in the B10, to receive that overall #1 seed.

BCS_BOUND_KU 1 year, 7 months ago

we arent #1 we are #2..................................

BPSkelly 1 year, 7 months ago

I would hope and think that most Jayhawk fans dont get to ate up over media rankings. If you do, you probably havent been around long enough.

It's not irrelevant, as it is one of the factors that goes into seeding for the tournament. To me where things are playing out as it concerns to seeding to me is a far, far, FAR bigger deal than the press polls themselves.

KU being in the Top 10 likely assures themselves (most years anyway) of being a #1 or #2 seed. To me, thats HUGE. Especially when you consider the level of parity we have now in the tournament. Getting a 1 or a 2 certainly improves the odds of making the Sweet 16 every year... my personal 'threshold' for weather or not im going to be disappointed at the end of the year or not.

Of course, that fluctuates year to year based on expectations. But not greatly. It's staggering to me that THIS particular KU team is battling for #1 quite frankly. But its more a commentary on the state of college basketball as it does anything else. It's certainly a credit to this class... four seniors who refuse to lose. Fun to watch.

Timothy Rake 1 year, 7 months ago

What exactly is your "personal threshold for weather" BP? Rain? High winds? Tornadoes? Mine is just WHETHER or not we live up to the K..A..N..S..A..S on the jersey over the season.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope these rankings are not bad karma for tonight's game. Number 1 teams are dropping like flies.

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't know about karma - I only know that KU's offense looks pitiful.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 7 months ago

Pitiful is a strong word for an 18-1 team. We've had some bad stretches on offense, for sure, but let's not go overboard.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 7 months ago

Why is Florida getting first place votes? They have two losses, one of them to KSU, who Michigan and KU beat! As far as #1 overall seed, who knows. Is a Michigan or Indiana team that wins the Big 10, losing three/four games better then a KU losing one or two in the Big 12?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Probably also because Florida's not leaving anything to doubt in their games lately. They'd DESTROYING them by like 20-30 pts. in their wins lately.

Not seeing that from KU. A lot of BARELY EKE by wins.

SoCalAlum 1 year, 7 months ago

Easy re: Florida....kenpom.com has them at overall #1 - KU is #6. Florida #1 Def - KU is #3; #2 Off - KU is #18.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

I think he cited wins/losses, to me that is my favorite stat.

KU and Michigan both beat K-State, Florida lost to K-State.

Florida also has another loss.

LakeShawnee 1 year, 7 months ago

Gasp! We're #1. Bulls eye on our backs now? Please. As if all the other schools we play simply mail it in against us when we aren't ranked #1. I'm pretty sure most teams want to beat us regardless of our rank. We're Kansas. Other schools circle our name on the schedule long before the weekly rankings come out.

Those of you who truly believe that West Virginia wouldn't have taken us as seriously tonight if we were #2 or #3 must have bumped your heads on something.

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

Especially if it's true that Huggy gets a $25,000 bonus for beating Kansas.

Duane Rice 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope to head this off before the game tonight. KU will be ranked #2 because, that is the poll ESPN uses.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

Which is so weird because there is the AP poll and the ESPN/Coaches Poll, but they use the AP poll; haven't quite figured that out.

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

I am more scared than Stupidmichael.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 7 months ago

Just sent a request to Lunardi... - KU #1 overall. - In South Regional in Jerry Jones Dome so I can go. - No teams in bracket starting with "B" - #2 seed is Arizona, Mizzery #3

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Voter fraud is now being alleged as North Carolina did not receive a single first place vote in many Ohio precincts.

coyhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Congratulations to the Jayhawks on the high marks! You are way ahead of where most people thought you would be at this point, and not even close to performing to the top of your ceiling. Who cares about the curse of being number one!? The top recruits across the country are looking at the rankings. I am much happier about the upside towards recruiting than I am worried about this "curse". Face it, this is what happens when you have a winning program! ROCK CHALK BABY!!!

mrJohnnySpence 1 year, 7 months ago

KU could be ranked 10th and WV would still rush the floor. Everybody wants to beat Kansas no matter what.

KatnissHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

huggins gets a $25K bonus if he beats KU

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

Because we lost way before Michigan did and, unlike Michigan, we defeated OSU in Colombus, I'm surprised KU's not #1. I think we will the get the #1 overall seed because Michigan will probably lose at least 2 more games in the tough Big 10, while we lose only 1 more in the weak Big 12.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 7 months ago

Doesn't really matter at this stage of the season. More importantly, KU's high ranking will be short lived if they don't put together a complete game starting tonight. Defense keeps the game close when KU's offense struggles, but all it takes is one player from the opposing team to get hot and then an upset.

By using the AP poll, ESPN will be able to hype the #1 versus #3 game scheduled for February 2nd.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 7 months ago

So Duke takes a loss on January 12th to a ranked team and drops imperceptively only to vault back to the top spot about 10 days later, just in time to get thoroughly humiliated by an unranked team (who then cracks the top 25 on that win) and they only drop to the number 5 spot. Oh, no bias there! I guarantee, if KU, Michigan, Syracuse, Florida, you name it were to lose two games in the span of 12 days, the polls would have each one of those programs nearly out of the top 25.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

Why do we even want to be #1 in the polls? Why do we care? It's about as relevant as Alabama being voted #1 at the end of the football season.

We get our answer in March (actually April).

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

If Julius cares about rankings, I care about rankings. If he doesn't, then I'm just hoping for the best draw in the NCAA Tournament.

KANSTUCKY 1 year, 7 months ago

Infatuation with the Fab Five reset from the 90's the media has been stroking the last month or so.

CalBBaller 1 year, 7 months ago

I am new to this posting business. I have read the posts for quite some time and am impressed by many of them. Many are reasoned analysis and offer honest insight. Some are obviously biased due to fans wearing crimson and blue colored glasses. But that's fair since this is a fans site. However it is not cool in my opinion to criticize someone for their opinion. Very few offer facts to back up their opinions so everyone should take all comments for what they are - - opinions only. This is also true of the pollsters. Very few if any of the people who do the polling each week see many games. The rankings are bogus in my opinion, but there serve a purpose for the fans and allow them to brag to their friends from other schools. Is KU #1? I personally don't think so. They haven't played a complete game for a month. I think they can win the National Championship, but they better get their offense in gear or they are walking a tight rope and will probably fall off the wire sooner vs. later.

ironhead80 1 year, 7 months ago

KU has the ability of any team in the nation to be a national champion this 2013 year. Middle of february they get a lot better fast and start to look like a national contender.