Saturday, January 26, 2013

Notebook: Elijah Johnson believes shooting will improve; KU will wear alternate unis Monday

Kansas guards Ben McLemore, center, and Elijah Johnson have a talk with little time remaining against Oklahoma during the second half on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse. At left is Oklahoma guard Steven Pledger.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Oklahoma

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 67-54 win over Oklahoma on Jan. 26, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-OU

Elijah Johnson would like to see the ball start dropping through the basket.

“It’s a little frustrating right now, because I feel like my numbers, as far as shooting, haven’t shown how well I can really shoot,” Johnson, Kansas University’s senior point guard, said after scoring eight points off 3-of-8 shooting (2-of-6 from three) in the Jayhawks’ 67-54 victory over Oklahoma in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I don’t feel that I have shot to my potential at all. All of my shots are limited because I don’t shoot that many. I need something to start falling for me, but I’m not focused on it too much. They’ll fall.”

The 6-foor-4 Las Vegas native has hit 39.8 percent of his floor shots — 34.6 percent of his threes — for the Jayhawks (18-1 overall, 6-0 Big 12). He hit 43 percent of his shots (33.8 from three) a year ago.

Johnson did not score or dish an assist while playing just nine minutes the first half Saturday. Two quick fouls cut into his playing time.

“Those two fouls the first half were wasted plays. He took himself out of the game. The second half, he played a lot better,” coach Bill Self said. “It (fouling) was a lack of focus on his part.”

Freshman gaurd Ben McLemore scored seven points off 2-of-4 shooting in 18 minutes the first half and 11 points off 3-of-6 shooting while playing 19 minutes the second half.

“Coach Self always stresses to me that he needs me to be more aggressive, and I need to create more opportunities offensively to get myself open one pass away,” McLemore said. “I need to get myself open. I need to do a better job of that.

“I didn’t plug myself in the first half. I wasn’t aggressive like coach wants me to be. Coach told me to go out second half and be more aggressive and plug myself in.”

Self wants McLemore to become more involved in the offense.

“It’s hard to get shots if our guards can’t ever get in the scoring area,” Self said. “They (Sooners) are pressuring, denying. We can’t dribble past anybody. We don’t drive to pass.

“I didn’t think Ben was very aggressive the first half. The second half, he was more aggressive. He has such a nice stroke, he needs to get more looks. It’s the other guys’ responsibility to help him. We are not forcing his man to help much. Naadir (Tharpe, eight points, 1-for-5 shooting, 5-of-6 from line) and Elijah will get better at that. It wasn’t the case today.”

Adams plays three minutes: Reserve point guard Rio Adams missed a shot and committed a foul during a three-minute stint the first half.

“I was there to specifically play defense and keep our point spread spread out,” Adams said of keeping KU ahead of the Sooners. He entered with his team up eight and exited with KU up six.

“I enjoyed it a lot,” Adams added of his getting in his second consecutive game. He played two minutes Tuesday at Kansas State.

Special jerseys Monday: KU will wear special jerseys provided to the school by adidas during its next game — Monday’s 8 p.m. contest at West Virginia. The “tone-out” jerseys have been described as featuring a “more aggressive Crimson and Blue.” They will only be worn during the West Virginia game. KU also will wear “tone-out” warm-ups and shoes. The jerseys are available for sale in the KU store in Booth Family Hall of Athletics.

Team notes: KU is 6-0 in conference play for the second-straight season and fourth time under Self ... KU leads the all-time series with OU, 139-64, including 43-7 in Allen Fieldhouse. ... KU has won 10 in a row vs. OU. ... KU has won 33 in a row at home, tying for the fourth-longest streak in school history. ... KU won in the 800th game played in the building. KU is 693-107 in Allen. ... KU has held 13 opponents under 60 points. ... KU outrebounded OU, 41-31. KU has outrebounded 16 of 19 opponents, five by double digits. ... After leading 5-2, OU went 3:21 without a field goal as KU went on a 10-2 run. ... OU entered as the best scoring offense in the league in conference-only games (71.6 ppg). KU held the Sooners to a season-low 21 points in a half (previously 22 vs. Gonzaga in November).

Individual notes: McLemore, who went 5-for-5 from the free-throw line, is 23-for-26 in six Big 12 games. ... Travis Releford has scored in double-digits in 15-straight games. Releford’s five assists were his most since a career-best six against Colorado (12/8). ... Jeff Withey took sole possession of third-place on KU’s career blocked shots list. Withey has 247, just 11 shy of tying KU’s all-time record (Greg Ostertag, 258). ... Johnson had two assists and is tied with Calvin Thompson for 20th place on the KU career assists list.

Faces in crowd: Former KU frontcourt players Eric Chenowith, Mark Randall and Wayne Simien attended and sat in the same row behind the KU bench. Royals announcer Denny Matthews attended and spoke with Self after the game, the two chatting about baseball. What else?

Comments

Saguaro_Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Here is jersey for Monday's game

Ron Prichard 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks for the pic. I like the jerseys but only as a once in a great while alternate. Kind of retro but modern at the same time.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 7 months ago

I hate this jersey. The NBA did something like this on Christmas Day and it looked terrible. You couldn't see who was who. It'll look like a cheap solid blue practice jersey. Go back to Nike.

Try designing new uniforms for football.

sleepy33 1 year, 7 months ago

If you need the jersey to tell you who's who on the floor, you need to watch more games.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank The Lord they are not black (eh-hem football!)

Josh Galler 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw the replicas at Kansas Sampler, I really enjoy them

panalytic 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks for posting the jersey image.

Our somewhat more traditional look seems to make us standout now, in a positive manner I think. I wonder here this is going with the new jerseys??

Casey Gee 1 year, 7 months ago

Relieved that they are not part of adida's highlighter seires

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

I guess the cactus represents Kansas as a thorn in the side of our opponents..YUK, YUK!!

Truly horrible..I predict KU's first loss on Monday and, because of the jerseys, it won't totally be Turner Gill's fault!! :)

Another typical shoe company money grab. I hope Satan has a special level of Hell for Shoe CEO's

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

"FOR GOD'S SAKES, SOMEONE HIRE A BETTER DESIGNER"

Part 1

For god's sakes, someone hire a better designer. This looks like something Cinncinati, or Georgetown would wear, if their colors were Crimson and Blue.

This is the Darrell Royal work clothes approach to uniforms. It looks like a practice uniform. In fact, I would really like it if our guys wore this uniform for practices.

I know, I know, they've got to find a really tame jersey that will sell well to kids and adults looking for workout jersies at the club, and at souvenir shops, right? Make this shirt be KU's designated souvenir jersey. This baby is what you wear when you mow the yard, or sweat on the treadmill, or go to Cancun and want to wear the colors on a beach walk, okay?

But for games? On the road? In a national championship game?

Please basketball god, intervene here and say, "Anyone that approves this uniform will be placed in a flip top box five cubits by 3 cubits and buried alive in Columbia, Missouri!!!

Any kid could easily have designed this shirt on Photo Shop, including the "tone out" routine, but a kid wouldn't have, because a kid would come up with something much more imaginative, fresh and of our time.

The only sophistication involved here is the use of "tone out", which should really be called "tone down," to understate the Kansas and the number, so that the Addidas logos, which are conspicuously not subjected to tone out, can stand out during TV close ups.

I'm not begrudging Addidas its right to promote itself. I am saying they need to do it in a more professional, skillful and stylish way. Uniform design needs to be integrated. This clearly isn't. True the dis-integration is mannered and planned, but bad design is bad design, whether planned, or accidental.

The Addidas Logos are obviously "designed," despite small sizes, to stand out as much as, if not more than, the "Kansas" and the player number "23" in an interview, or free throw shot, view. The Addidas logos use a solid color and asymmetry of location in the upper left to stand out, not the "tone out" and centered positioning of the other elements. Addidas also uses a bold, nested rectilinear, black and white logo on the lower right logo, again, not "toned out" and not on centerline.

Also they are using the inconsistency of color and form between the two logos, and between the bold logos and the tone out "Kansas" and number to draw the viewers eye to the logos.

Fergoshsakes, Addidas, your shoes already show up on our players like casino signs on a moonless night in Vegas? What's next? A flipping flourescent Addidas tatoo on the players' foreheads? Maybe a little asymmetrically positioned, too?

At least make everything tone out.

I have no trouble with promoting Addidas in this way, if we can at least do it right with some skillful designers to take a crack at our uniforms.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Part 2

The future of this uniform goes like this: the shirt tail is planned as a dedicated signage band. The shirt tails will eventually be worn outside the pants. The shirt tail will over time be "tastefully" lined with corporate logos: Addidas, Russell Stovers, Phillips 66, Halls, etc.

If we're going down this path, let's at least do it with as much style and design integrity as we can, shall we?

Tom Ford is known for awesome color work and innovative shaping of fabric. Robert Graham is known for skillful and startling pattern asymmetries and color mixes. I'm not sure at my age that I could handle the uniforms these two guys might come up with, but young persons surely could. And, well, let's associate with the best we can find, if we have to play the logo game.

And it wouldn't hurt us to consider what Ebony magazine calls cutting edge "black designers" from around the world. It was kind of interesting to see Ebony reintroduce the word "black" again. They list Patrick Robinson, Tracy Reese, and Cushnie et Ochs among others. Check them out. Cool.

Hey, we can consider black, white, yellow, etc. designers. Gay, straight, and bi designers. Euro, Americo, Africo, Asio, Australo, and Antartico designers, too. Even Kansaso designers. Male, female and transgender desigers. We can even stop thinking about subcategorio designers all together and just look for a really good human being with skill at design!!!

Come, KU, we can do this.

kuilander 1 year, 7 months ago

how come i dont see the jersey??

David Leathers 1 year, 7 months ago

That was my first thought and then I realized: we'll be playing in the nude for Monday's game.

Zstegs 1 year, 7 months ago

Not toooo bad, but would be wayy cooler if the background were crimson and the numbers were blue

AirCapJay 1 year, 7 months ago

I think KY has earned his starting role. He is a senior. Perry a frosh. KY is playing better than Perry, but if Perry continues to improve I see him coming off the bench and getting more minutes than KY.

John Randall 1 year, 7 months ago

Starting or relieving shouldn't be viewed as a reward, unless you are the type who values handouts more than paychecks.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

I like it a lot >> it will look great on television.

dipperjones 1 year, 7 months ago

I worry about our long term goals if our guard play doesn't improve, specifically PG. Who do we have that can break someone down off the dribble? Defense has been great, but IMO, the reason for the string of low-scoring contests starts at PG. I would have no problem seeing a lot more of Tharpe.

IndyHawk80 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Gary, I believe this was the 801st game in Allen and the Hawks are 694-107. Can you check?

Michael Sillman 1 year, 7 months ago

One thing that I think Johnson needs to do is finish closer to the hoop on his driving layups.

He seems to shy away at the last second and take a 3-4 foot running bank shot. That also keeps him from drawing the foul and getting to the free throw line.

Go all the way to the rim and take a real layup or draw the contact, maybe both at once. Easier said than done but that was Taylor's bread and butter last year.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree, in one of his drives, it almost seemed like he went out of his way to the rim and created a charge, if he had gone straight to the hoop, he had the points. I wonder a little if the scouting report got him on that one. I think he should take it to the hoop, and if they condense, Releford and McLemore are both sitting there wide open, both are shooting great from the 3.

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Concerning the uniforms, the term hammered dung comes to mind.

texashawk10 1 year, 7 months ago

NC State wore their version of the "tone out" uniforms and I liked those. Their shade of red appeared to a little bolder, so I would imagine KU's shade of blue will be bolder as well.

As for Elijah, I don't think his knee is his biggest issue, I think it has more to do with him being a very streaky shooter. It seems to me like he lets his hot/cold shooting streaks affect the rest of his game and that's holding him back from being a top tier player. A lot of his mistakes, such as his horrible passes when he was being pressured in the backcourt today, seem like mistakes that he doesn't make when he's shooting and has more confidence. Just my take on EJ and why he's been playing below his abilities recently.

My take on Ben is that this is the nature of Self's system. Self's system has never been condusive to letting individuals shine like they do in Calipari's or Coach K's systems. I'm not implying that this is a bad thing because I don't believe it is and on court results have proven both philosophies can be successful. McLemore's problem is the same as Brandon Rush's where that the talent is there to average 20+ a night, but team success goes down if they have to do so. Wayne Simien and Keith Langford come to mind as big time scorers whose teams didn't go as deep in the tournament their senior year because their supporting cast weren't the best scorers. I personally think it's better Ben is scoring 16 a game instead of the 22 or 23 he could average if he got too aggressive to the point of appearing selfish. I'm not Ben going off 25+ occassionally is a bad thing because there are games where he needs to do that for KU to win, I just believe it's better for the team's postseason hopes if the scoring is more balanced.

jayhawkbenny27 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm sorry but I'm extremely superstitious...

A player on a streak has to respect the streak. You know why? Because they don't happen very often. If you believe you're playing well because your getting laid or because you're not getting laid or because you're wearing women's underwear, then you are! -- Crash Davis

During a 17 game win streak and a potential #1 ranking you don't change your duds... I kinda feel like HCBS is the same way since he only wears the reds in exhibition games since we last lost wearing red at one of the sprint center games...

I kinda like them but Ive hated every time an NBA or NCAA has worn them, they just don't look good on TV.

Edward Daub 1 year, 7 months ago

I will be at the Game in Morgan"Pit" and trust these Uni's won't be a distraction! If we were to get upset (low probability) , they will be burning couches and we can toss in these Uni's.

Chris1955 1 year, 7 months ago

I've heard about the couch burning tradition in Morgantown. How did it begin, and what circumstances do the couches go into flambe mode?

jaycon11 1 year, 7 months ago

the origins of this are shrouded in secrecy. as for circumstances...

usually, if one's relative is paroled or breaks out of the county pen, it's cause for celebration and a couch is lit. also, any engagement that includes two close relatives is cause for couch-burning and firing of weapons into the air. things like that usually signal the couch going up in flames.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 7 months ago

EJ is not nearly as good this year, because there is no Tyshawn Taylor. I tried to tell all of the Ty haters, that, like in any relationship, you don't know what you miss, until it's gone! But most people hoot and holler, and make all these crazy azz statements, and really have not much of a clue about the intricacies of the game. I also agree with Jaylark, the EJ needs to finish closer to the basket. I also think he is rushing his shot, when he drives, on top of not getting closer to the hoop, and it probably has something to do with his confidence in his knee. He needs to just go out and play, without thinking about it. Also, remember, EJ is really a Two Guard, and his ball handling and dribble penetration to dish, has not seen much improvement, over the course of the year, and that is a major concern going forward, especially during March Madness. I love Tharp, even last year, because I saw signs of his competitiveness!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with your first part and it's spot on with the reference to TT. EJ isn't a "Focal Point" type player and he certainly isn't a PG. He does much better at the SG spot. It's amazing how much pressure TT took off of EJ last year. It's showing this year.

The part I disagree with is EJ's ability to finish at the rim or as you said, "Closer to the basket". EJ just needs to get the paint plain and simple and make better decisions. He doesn't necessarily need to score, but create opportunities for himself or others. He needs to keep defenses and perimeter defenses honest by releasing that pressure in some capacity out beyond the arc. If he's not going to do that than he needs to be a in a three guard rotation with Relly, McLemore, and himself at SG and SF and let Tharpe get some extra minutes at the PG spot.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

You are a painfully pessimistic poster.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

I think if Kansas was really different they would actually wear pants like the old School Indiana warm up pants except in Crimson and Blue and then play in T-Shirt type jersey's like Evansville wore for so many years. Now that's unique, different, and marketing worthy.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

"ON KANSAS AND ITS UNIFORM"

Part 1

My favorite non KU uniforms of all time, bar none, were Marquette's old black uniforms with gold pin stripes and lettering, before Bo Ellis redesigned them for Al Maguire. Nothing against Bo's redesign. I just loved those old Marquette unies with Dean the Dream Meminger and Bob Lackey filling them out. Might have been white stripes. No, pretty sure they were yellow, or gold. But that was right for Marquette. Not for KU. KU had a pinstripe phase if I recall correctly, and may again, but I like to think KU keeps breakiing new ground; that's its role.

And the candy stripes of Indiana are right for Indiana, because Indiana is basically a very conservative and unprogressive state. Its a Kansas without wrenching internal conflicts. Its a state that was never a bellweather of anything but its own self.

Kansas has always been simultaneously a conservative state and a progressive state. A free state, which means all sides of every issue, even when one side is dominant. Main street Republican and Populist/Progressive. Even now, when everyone wants to bad mouth and recycle "What's the Matter with Kansas," Kansas is a striking combination of Fundamentalism, Orthodoxy, Corporatism, Internationalism, and Progressivism.

My personal lean is always to the Progressivist POV, but I like that Kansas is a hot bed of all these POVs. Everyone scrambles for a piece of the power pie in Kansas, because its the geostrategic center of the most powerful private oligarchy-military dominated empire republic in the world. Oil and gas are there in Kansas. Grain is there. Distribution is there. Military is there. All the religions are there. The reds control it right now, but the blues want it. I like that all these groups are rubbing up against each other all the time. I don't mind acknowledging that the Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas energy and distribution alliance and the fundamentalists apparently achieved regime change in Kansas the last 30 years, while at the same time having been unsuccessful in stomping out the slightly resurgent centrist republicans, the internationalists (by internationalist, I mean those tying Kansas to foreign oligarchic interests from England and Germany, etc.) and the progressives.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Part 2

I like taking Kansas as it is always.

And I would like a designer to be hired to work with Kansas as it is today. I would like the uniforms of KU to break new ground in design, simply by trying to express the zeitgeist of Kansas, whatever it may be NOW.

(Note: I suppose these tone-out uniforms could express that zeitgeist, too, but, lord, how I hope not.) :-)

I don't share a lot in common with William Allen White, who was long a spokesman for the old Kansas newspaper oligopoly and for the empire movement with Teddy and the boys, but, I share his opinion that Kansas was a crucial state. Kansas has always been one of the most startling states in the USA--a bellweather state. It became fashionable to say it wasn't, once the big time corporatists came in and crushed the Populist Movement. After that Kansas was increasingly portrayed as corny as, well, spring time in Kansas (what a dumb, misleading lyric!). But William Allen White, even as he was serving the empire movement, kept reminding persons that Kansas was a place worth keeping an eye on always.

And since the Corporatists 2.0 and the fundamentalist appear to have achieved regime change in Kansas about the only thing you can find about Kansas is what the heck happened to Kansas recycled. The commentators never get it. What happened to Kansas has been yet again, a bellweather of what was going to be done to so many other states in USA. And the tendency of national commentators not to note this was either, intentional obfuscation on some parts, but also just sour grapes on the part of centrist Republicans, Internationalists and progressives that lost out in the red vs. blue war. Its a red state with a lot of currently suppressed centrist red and full spectrum blue. If it ever were to go blue, it would be a blue state with a lot of suppressed red, too. -isms don't really die in Kansas, do they? They just go dormant, or morph into other forms. -isms in Kansas are kind of like the prairie. They get plowed up. Paved over. Built over. But give the prairie just a little chance to begin to retake the land and it most certainly does. Like wise, give these -isms just a little chance to recover and they do. Why? Because its the nature of a Prairy Erth state, and because outsiders are always looking to resuscitate some ism or another to get a toe hold, or a foot hold, or a full blown regime change hold, in one of the most geostrategic states in all of USA.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Part 3

Recall the early KU uniforms. They were IMHO a perfectly blended expression of the state's Main Street Republicanism, its internationalism, and its Populist/Progressivist aspects. There were elements of the patriotic optimism and boldness about an America bent on becoming a world empire through the conquests of the Spanish American War, and imposing the first new world order after World War I. There were hints of contrasting, conflicted POVs in Kansas about the expansionist empire building and decline of democratic process and the need to reduce the incredibly asymmetric wealth distributions created by the private oligarchy of those years from 1898 to 1919 and then again through the Great Depresssion.

As the 20th Century unfolded the uniforms wavered between more an less stylistic integration. More and less patriotic emphasis through the schools colors. Looking back they weren't very sophisticated in design, appearing almost like folk art now. But they were of their time and bore its complexities and simplicities rather truthfully as I look back at them.

This tone-out uniform, for what its worth, speaks to a current trend in America to tone down the patriotism, to dumb down America, to build down America, to lower America's standard of living, to strangle Leviathan in order to make it subordinate into the latest new world order that central bank owners and the think tanks they fund have worked so very hard to promote.

Notice how the red, white and blue striping of this proposed uniform is gone, as if gone with the wind. Notice the lack of vibrance in the colors. These uniforms are muted, toned down, simplified, subdued. No more patriotism front and center. No more America's team. Just a school with colors, and not a school, or a state, meant to stand boldly for anything. This is what the tone-down uniform design communicates to me. Its more like a blue-grey, patternless, business suit. Its a corporate uniform for a corporate age of D1 sport and a team from a school-corporate joint venture. It isn't juiced. Its not contempo flourescent (thank goodness). And its not traditional either, except for just a hint in the lettering. Its signifies a school, as I said, in a JV with a corporation to make serious money, not for the people, not for the fans, not even for the school itself, but for the privately incorporated athletic department and the corporation.

I suppose there might be truth in that look. Maybe.

Is this where Kansas is now? Maybe.

Is this where the tax payers of Kansas want it to be? Can't say. Jury is out. Lot's at stake. That's probably why this uniform is getting a trial run. There's a lot of revenue and branding to be cared for. Can't just role out any old uniform and try it for a season any more.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Part 4

But I sense more plate techtonics, more fault lines, more conflict in Kansas than these uniforms suggest. Or maybe all of that is now over. I'm only an expatriot Kansan these days. So its up to the folks that live there to say. Maybe this look is how they want it after 30 years of culture wars.

Still, there is no reason for Kansas to be ashamed of what it is, of its culture wars, its regime changes, and so not reflect its present in its uniforms, if these struggles persist. I visit Kansas at least once a year, often more. I have watched the culture wars to achieve regime change there the last 30 years. I have been on the losing side in spirit, but what I see going on in Kansas openly is what is going on in all parts of America. All states are being fought over in the culture war between the reds and blues. I wish they were not, but I don't have a significant say in this. Only the persons funding the culture wars, and the persons taking their monies to press their agendas, have a large say in this at the moment.

KU's colors are Crimson and Blue. What better school and team and uniform to reflect what is going on in Kansas and America NOW.

We need uniforms that both express and some how positively transcend the conflicts of OUR time.

Kansas was born in conflict. It is at the geographic and geostrategic center of USA.

I doubt it can ever be neutral as the tides of change advance and recede.

Its probably not possible, or so I reckon.

That's why the state logo is: ad astra per aspera.

Hey, wouldn't it be cool to put that state logo on the uniform somewhere?

Rock Chalk!

Emery 1 year, 7 months ago

Very good cultural summary about the KU uniform. KU should keep their basic uniform design as traditional as possible. KU basketball is all about enjoying and preserving our great basketball heritage. Our basketball uniforms have been beautiful for the past century. Our uniforms should transcend politics since both conservatives and liberals love the game.

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

Won't WV wear white as the home team?

Boouk 1 year, 7 months ago

It wouldn't hurt if he could make a shot either. I seriously have never seen him make a shot beyond 12 feet this season.

ollerfarm 1 year, 7 months ago

Tyshawn Taylor is tearing up the NBA, more turnovers than points, not playing much or none. I'm so very happy that he is not at KU running wild and turning the ball over all the time. I wish him success, but he'll not be successful until he stops throwing the ball away

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't have a problem if you like or dislike TT, but at least get his stats right when talking negatively about him.

He has 33 points, 11 turnovers, 7 steals, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, shooting 36 percent and 33 percent from 3 in 91 total minutes. Further, he is playing behind All-Star PG Deron Williams and NBA veteran CJ Watson on a decent Brooklyn team that is currently 4th in the Eastern Division.

oldalum 1 year, 7 months ago

He's actually in the D league right now.

JayhawkJack98 1 year, 7 months ago

where are you getting your facts from ollerfarm

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 7 months ago

That is what they call an "old school beat down"! LOL

Well-done BMU.

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Oiley- A suggestion - tomorrow morning, wake up on the other side of the bed! The "I'm so happy that he is not at KU.......... I wish him success.......", comment is beyond rational comprehension.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 7 months ago

What an absolutely ridiculous post. Without TT last year, we don't win the Misery game at home and several others. He drew contact and would drive and dish the rock for easy dunks--something EJ does not yet do without trepidation. Tyshawn was immature at times, but he grew whilst at KU and REAL fans loved him, warts and all, because F.O.E.!

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 7 months ago

Got to say I liked the look of Adams out there. He was def raw, but I love the site of a "long" PG, with a defensive prowess. He looks to be a very intimidating force in years to come

dylans 1 year, 7 months ago

At this rate I'm afraid he will transfer.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 7 months ago

I was earlier in the season but if you watch him on the bench (most animated) and listen to his interviews, he gets it. Going into next year he will have a year of learning Self's defensive schemes and will have a leg up on all of those talented but high school guards coming in. He has a chance to be an outstanding defender and an excellent point guard.

jhox 1 year, 7 months ago

Our first half defense was incredible yesterday. Our guards are really starting to lock down. This has a chance to be the best defensive team in my 40+ years of following KU basketball, and i don't recall ever seeing a better half defensivel from a KU team. Travis is the best on ball defender we've had since Hinrich, even better than Russell Robinson.

It is no coincidence that this team is winning even with their shooting woes.

JayhawkJack98 1 year, 7 months ago

yeah if we get hot on offense and maintain our defense no team in the country can stop us

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

Nothing wrong with that jersey. And no, we won't go neon. That was a spring fad for 2012. To some degree you have show you aren't a fuddy duddy, and that you are in the zeitgeist.

Jim Roth 1 year, 7 months ago

There is if you watch most games online. Blurry streaming already makes it hard sometimes to identify individual players; blue on blue numbers will make it more so.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 7 months ago

It's shocking to see EJ regress as the leader of the team. On two successive plays towards end of game he gets trapped in back court and the ball is stolen and they score each time. To have the senior PG perform this way is shocking. His decision making skills are horrible.

Tharpe and Adams are much better running the point. Any opposing coach will see this and will go at EJ to get him into foul trouble early as he can't keep his man in front of him and he uses his hands too much. I just hope Self sees this and has other game plans.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 7 months ago

If an opposing coach thought Tharpe or Adams were better at running the point, why would an opposing coach "go at EJ to get him into foul trouble"? It would seem that if EJ was as bad as you say, opposing coaches would welcome his presence in the lineup.

And how has he regressed as a team leader?

rockchalkchalkin23 1 year, 7 months ago

EJ

Try taking a Russell Robinson approach to this team instead of a Tyshawn Taylor one. This team has a more patience/execution style with turbo boosters ready to be fired, like the RussRob era, as opposed to the smash mouth/out tough you style like last year. RussRob attemped 195 FG's in 38 games his Jr. year and 198 in 40 games his Sr year. You currently sit at 161 attempted in 19 games. This team only needs you to shoot in the flow of the offense, hunting your shot or taking one out of rhythm is counterproductive.

The frustration with your shooting is short circuiting your most important duty to this team, making sure the gears are greased so they keep on turning smoothly. Your efficiency is down due to overcompensating for your poor shooting and physical frustration. Don't push harder, diagnose what would make the situation better/more fluid and apply. Coach wants Ben more aggressive and he doesn't quite know how to do that within the offense yet, take the thinking out of it for him. Trav has shown he'll step up when needed, need him. Young's energy and hustle is a self-explanatory asset. All that really needs to be said about Withey is since that San Jose St game, looked like he got popped under the eye, he has been in beast mode ever since.

I've seen times this year where you have not let the play develop after coming off the pick n go. This takes away a highly efficient scoring opportunity from the offense, as well as not allowing chemistry and energy to expand in the teams favor. If you can get footage, watch how RussRob and Mario worked that play to get a deep in the paint floater or an oop to the big trailing and left unguarded. With that bit of 'hesitation' installed, it results in 'easy' buckets during games, a bread and butter play so to speak.

Speed and athleticism are evading you, but you can still penetrate with your quickness. You might look to take up a little bit of 'Grandpas' style, he's proved its efficiency.

rockychalky87 1 year, 7 months ago

I am really surprised this story doesn't contain the more interesting news regarding Monday's game. Bill Self has agreed to wear a miniature straw hat on the sideline the entire game in support of "Coaches With Caps" charity organization. Way to go Coach!

mikehawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I really like the jersey design and colors. I also like the wider hang over the shoulders. I don't like the little "collar" on the current uniforms. There is classic, but as with all fashion and attire, in life and in sports, there is an evolvement that remains tied to a classic look, as in the movement to longer trunks. Some schools have clung to the tradition laden look so long they appear dated. See Indiana. No names on back of jersey. Many of the kids now like the different look of various tights under their trunks. Do you think young kids don't make decisions based solely on the look of a team. Of course, the previous statement may be flawed because I can't for the life of me every understand why a kid would want to play for Texas and wear burnt (puke) orange. Has to be the worst color in all of sports. I really don't care for the Nike design on the backs of jerseys for so many teams. I just don't get that. The fact so many teams have it makes it look redundant and overused. I guess I like variety in my wardrobe, and like to be creative while staying tied to a classic look. People criticize the Oregon football team and Oklahoma State for changing their look every game. I for one like what they have done and I think it makes it fun for the kids.