Originally published January 24, 2013 at 10:58a.m., updated January 25, 2013 at 12:02a.m.

Mario Chalmers to have jersey retired at halftime of Texas game

Kansas' Mario Chalmers and Sherron Collins celebrate after beating Memphis on Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

Former Kansas University basketball guard Mario Chalmers, whose three-pointer against Memphis sent the 2008 NCAA championship game into overtime, on Feb. 16 will become the first member of the title team to have his jersey hung in the Allen Fieldhouse rafters.

photo

Kansas guard Mario Chalmers elevates for the three-pointer that put the game into overtime. Chalmers connected with 2.1 seconds left to tie it at 63, and the Jayhawks went on to win, 75-68 in overtime, April 7, 2008, in San Antonio.

“I have seen the shot more than you guys (media) have, believe it or not, and it still gives me goosebumps,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday in announcing jersey No. 15 will be unfurled at halftime of the KU-Texas game.

“I think he is probably liked or loved as much as anybody in large part because of who he is, but also the shot obviously didn’t hurt at all,” Self added. “I’d say he, moreso than anybody because of that moment, probably is more recognized.

“We’ve had more dogs and first-borns named ‘Mario’ or ‘Rio’ than probably anybody else we’ve had here,” 10th-year coach Self added, smiling.

Self said Chalmers, the Most Outstanding Player of the 2008 NCAA Final Four, is the most clutch player he’s coached at KU.

“Absolutely,” Self said. “I would put Sherron (Collins) probably second. Hopefully we can have somebody else step up and be like him in late-game situations, but he made a lot of big plays for us.”

The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder, who earned an NBA title ring with the Miami Heat last season, is also “best” in another KU category.

“He was the best stealer of the ball I’ve seen in my life,” Self said of Chalmers, who ranks second on KU’s all-time steals list (283 from 2006-08), trailing only Darnell Valentine, who had 336 thefts from 1978-81.

His 1,341 three-year Kansas point total ranks 27th on KU’s scoring list and he also is among the school career records in three-pointers made (seventh, 180) and assists (14th, 420).

“He was great defensively and he anticipated as well as anybody. He had an orneriness and toughness that a lot people didn’t see because they saw the smile. He was an assassin on the court,” Self noted.

Chalmers, a McDonald’s All-American out of Anchorage’s Bartlett High, said this honor classifies as a dream come true.

“One of my goals when I first came to KU was to make a name and make sure my name lasts forever in Kansas history,” Chalmers said. “It means a lot to me, being up there in the rafters with guys like Paul Pierce, Drew Gooden, Wilt Chamberlain. It’s a great accomplishment and makes me proud to be a Jayhawk.”

He remembers gazing into the south rafters as a recruit.

“The first time would probably be Late Night 2004. Just being there for the first time, experiencing the atmosphere, just seeing what KU was all about,” he said of thinking about becoming a KU great.

As to how he accomplished the feat ... “Just by working hard every day,” Chalmers said. “I had great teammates. We had a family atmosphere, great coaching. It was a great system at KU.”

As far as future members of the 2008 team who may also be honored, Self said: “He (Chalmers) is a special kid. We had so many special guys on that team. He’ll be the first one off that team that has his jersey retired. We’ll see if there are any others after that. I’m certainly very proud of him.”

Former KU consensus All-America honoree Wayne Simien (2002-05) was the last Jayhawk to have his jersey hung in the 2010-11 season.

Guidelines: Here are jersey retirement guidelines as stated in KU’s 2012-13 media guide:

“The concept of retiring the jerseys of outstanding Jayhawk basketball players was initiated prior to the 1991-92 season, when banners honoring Clyde Lovellette, Danny Manning, B.H. Born, Charlie Black, Paul Endacott, Wilt Chamberlain and Charlie Black were unveiled in the south end of Allen Fieldhouse. The original criteria for a retired jersey included KU players named college basketball player of the year, most valuable player of the NCAA Tournament or being named a four-time All-American. The list was expanded in 1997 to include Ray Evans, who holds the distinction of being an All-American in both football and basketball.

Kansas Men’s Basketball Retired Jerseys

Walter Wesley • 1964-66

Jo Jo White • 1966-69

Kansas Women’s Basketball Retired Jerseys

Angela Aycock • 1992-95

Tamecka Dixon • 1994-97

Lynette Woodard • 1978-81

“The criteria were expanded prior to the 2002-03 season to include consensus first-team All-Americans, two-time first-team All-America selections and Academic All-Americans of the Year.”

KU officials said Thursday that the athletic director has the authority to adjust the criteria in special circumstances. In other words, a Jayhawk great can have his jersey retired without meeting one of the above guidelines.

“Mario definitely deserves to have his jersey hung,” Self stated. “He was the most outstanding player in a 2008 Final Four, which featured four No. 1 seeds. He was a guy that seemed like the bigger the stage, the brighter he shined. Mario cares about winning. Points are great and steals are great and he was the best stealer of the ball we’ve ever had here, but he cares about winning.

“Guys that play here understand that winning trumps everything and he understood that. Brandon (Rush) understood that, Shady (Darrell Arthur), Sherron (Collins), Sasha (Kaun), Darnell (Jackson), Russell (Robinson), they all understood that. That is what made that (2008) team so cool. There were games when Mario would take four shots in a game and I’d say, ‘Shoot the ball’ and he’d say, ‘Why? Everybody else is making shots.’ It was such a fun team to be around, but he was clutch. Everybody throughout his tenure here would ask me who’s our go-to guy and in our players’ minds there was never a doubt who our go-to guy was. There are not many guys out there, regardless of the school, that have held that distinction.

“I’m proud of the career he has had since he left here. Being a world champion and a national champion, there’s not too many people that could have that distinction. He was an absolute treat to coach. He had great teammates and they all liked each other. It was such a fun time to be around. We’re all so proud of what he accomplished,” Self added.

Winning’s the ultimate goal: Self is amused there’s been some discussion of the fact his team (17-1 overall, 5-0 Big 12) has scored in the 50s or 60s four straight games.

“I think so many times we get hung up on maybe not looking great and winning on the road and people think that’s a big deal. Really, any win on the road is a big deal,” said Self, whose Jayhawks next meet Oklahoma (13-4, 4-1) at 3 p.m., Saturday, in Allen. “Everything is so distorted when you look at it statistically. I’m watching TV the other day and they are talking about how great Georgetown’s offense is against Notre Dame, (that it is) great, hard to guard and they score 65 points. Then you talk about us, how lame our offense is and we score 65 points. ... I love to rip and run and play fast and do all those things, but seems to me sometimes that’s not the best formula to win on the road because if those possessions go awry all it does is give the home team the advantage.”

No. 1 coming?: Considering No. 1 Duke lost, No. 3 KU could move to No. 1 in the polls next week. Michigan is No. 2.

“No, no, no,” Self said if it is a goal to be No. 1 during the season. “We were on the bus, on the plane the other night and you had young kids that said, ‘Why couldn’t we be No. 1 when Louisville lost?’ And you had a fifth-year guy, Travis Releford, say, ‘Hey guys, we’re right where we need to be.’ So I think that’s fine to be where we’re at. It would not disappoint me or thrill me either way to be really honest.”

Noted Releford: “I’ve been on No. 1 teams for the whole year and end up losing first round. Being No. 1 this early in the season doesn’t mean much. The standings are where they are right now. We are just going to continue to play how we are.”

This, that: Saturday’s game will be the 800th regular-season contest played in Allen Fieldhouse. KU is 692-107 in the building. ... A member of KU’s coaching staff on Thursday attended a game of Leron Black, a 6-7, 215-pound power forward from Memphis’ White Station High, jayhawkslant.com reported. He is ranked No. 15 in the Class of 2014.

Comments

David Gisi 1 year, 2 months ago

On the "dogs named Mario" subject- my son chose to name our lab mario. Got him in may 2008 and he was born during "march madness" '08. From the night we first brought him home he would sneak up and start biting toes and fingers. So his full name became Mario Chompers

wildjayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Good to see that Mario will hang in the Phog. Also should be added to this list are Rush, and Collins. They are the onces that made KU go. As far as Morningstar. tell him to pickup a sixpack and we will hang his stupid ass in the rafters.

boomrsoonr26 1 year, 2 months ago

Rio Adams nickname should be Goose. Why you ask? A RIO or Radar Intercept Officer is the backseater on a F-14 (TopGun) or newer F/A-18 fighter jets. Who is the most famous RIO of all time? "Talk to me Goose." I know its a stretch, and I've been pushing hard, and noone is biting. So do me a favor and call him Rio "Goose" Adams. Thank you for your time

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

For some reason, I am totally hardass, old school on the jersey thing [truly not my normal MO]. If it was up to me, I would have Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Lovellette and Danny Manning with their jerseys AND their numbers retired...and find some other form of recognition for the remaining honorees.

I'm sure I will be totally blasted, but I would do that with the NC banners also by finding another means of listing the conference championships, NCAA appearances, etc.

As Mies van der Rohe famously quoted.."Less Is More".

Jeffrey Nelson 1 year, 2 months ago

Loving what Releford had to say.

oldalum 1 year, 2 months ago

I understand your point, but I'm sure Self endorses the team concept since that's how he coaches. But in this instance he was asked for a quote about Chamers, so that's what he gave.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

I know everyone loves these great players and no one more than me.

But it just breaks my heart to hear Self talk about steals on the '08 the team without mentioning Russell Robinson. Mario would not have gotten half the steals he got without Russell. This is the quintessence of what I mean when I say we should be honoring TEAMS. Talking stealing with Mario without mentioning Russell is like talking about John Lennon without mentioning Paul McCartney. Talking shooting with Mario without mentioning Brandon is Astaire without Rogers. Talking winning with Mario without mentioning the entire '08 team is unthinkable!!! And wrong, wrong, wrong!

Mario's shot means nothing without Sherron's steal.

The essense and beauty and meaning of basketball is entirely, inextricably, irreducibly tied up in TEAM and Self of all persons should speak out for this. Jayhawk nation is a team. It is what makes it different. Jimmy gave us a team game so young men wouldn't fight amongst themselves in the dead of winter, but would still compete. This is the the strongest thread in the legacy.

TEAM.

The Legacy survives wars, depressions, -isms, technologies, generations, politics, greed, corruption, and success because after each episode, we come back to TEAM.

To belong to something worthwhile.

To vote with our feet and our hearts for team.

We need it now more than ever.

Ben Kane 1 year, 2 months ago

interesting off topic article about the greatest programs over last 5 decades.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

For anyone that wants to see how explode all over a thread, set the find routine in your browser to "dragonslyr" and read his series of posts under "Bill Self: Kansas Thinks It Should Win". It was a great performance. He's finding his voice and he's got a lot worth saying.

ManCrushOnCaptainKirk 1 year, 2 months ago

Mario arguably owns the 2nd biggest shot in NCAA tournament history and perhaps the biggest shot in an NCAA Championship Game.

After Laettner, it's one of the all-time great shots in the NCAA tournament.

And, one could make the case that Mario's shot was more clutch than Keith Smart's baseline shot (and better defended).

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Retire Sherron Collins jersey next. His KU career was insanely better than several missed-3s vs. UNI. 4yr graduate. 2 Elite8s. 1 Final4. His Champ game story is intertwined with Mario's like KU-dna helix (his own 3 out of thin-air, then TheAssist). He gave everything he had to KU.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

I had a long post about what personal criteria would be and it's not as strict as the original, but not as loose as it is now. If my research was right, I believe it would take 4 names down and exclude two future players who will most likely be going up in the next few years.

My personal criteria would be National Player of the Year, Final Four MOP, Consensus 1st team All-American, or non-consensus 1st team All-American in multiple years. Because there are quite a few organizations that hand out awards like this, I would restrict NPOY to the AP, NABC, USBWA, and Wooden Awards, or equivalent groups of the time. I would restrict the All-American teams to only the AP, NABC, and USBWA while excluding the Wooden All-American team. I would exclude the Wooden All-American team because they consider all 10 finalists to be 1st team instead of splitting the top 5 vote getters and bottom 5 vote getters into a 1st and 2nd team which can boost the resume of players like Jacque Vaughn and Brandon Rush. I would also not use Academic All-American of the Year as a criteria which also boosts the resume of Jacque Vaughn and of Cole Aldrich.

I would also like to see a banner or banners on the north end that recognize the top 10 career leaders in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. This would be a way to recognize some of the better players in KU's history that aren't quite good enough to be considered worthy of being hung in the south end such as Keith Langford, Aaron Miles, Scot Pollard, Marcus Morris, or Tyshawn Taylor.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 2 months ago

Top Mario moments besides 'the shot'? Time to reflect.
Off the top of my head, I might be off on a few: - 3 point barrage in big 12 tourney as senior against Durant - putback jam against Georgia Tech - loooong 3 to seal win at Cal - others anyone?

DB Ashton 1 year, 2 months ago

I've seen 15 players on the list. Two or three seem lesser candidates, as does Mario. But the criteria are clearly flexible, the current staff will have its reasons, and they will be mindfull not to devalue the honor to the point of irrelevance. I'm happy to defer to them.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

Right, wrong, jersey, number, Allen, or Booth-it's all about boosting the university and Bill Selfs' abilities to recruit. In this social media, tech savvy, generation Y age, kids are just different. Hell 95% of them have had a cell phone as long as they can remember & most of them text 50 to 100 times a day. Game Day? Julius Randle? Hello? This thing will probably be seen around the entire planet within a couple of day, maybe less. It's great that they can do this for Mario because it's what the kids & fans want to see, and he deserves the recognition. He's a great young person, player and has a heart of gold. It doesn't have squat to do with what any of us think, or JB's objective post or anyone else but the young people. They are the ones going to school there now & this is part of their legacy. It's time to let them have the reins and let them have these moments. Mario deserves the recognition like many before & many to come. And I really do agree with JB that the entire team that wins the NC should be immortalized for the whole public to see. That most certainly should be a valid suggestion to the university going forward.

William Blake 1 year, 2 months ago

Simple.... take a list of all the top Jayhawks players out to Naismith's grave and leave it over night.

You'll find the answer in the morning.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

Congrats, Mario. You deserve it. A few others do to, so I hope to see them up there soon.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

2008 was my favorite year ever of watching any basketball team. The way they shared the ball and valued the 'team' concept made incredibly proud. Still does to this day. I've never seen a team move the ball like that since or before. Of course, I'm still in my 20's.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 2 months ago

I feel like ranting about how the 08 team gets no respect. First, they are the only team to ever win a final four with all number 1 seeds. Now here is the list of guys we played on that trip

Steph Curry, Ty Lawson, Hansflopper, Wayne Ellington, Danny Greene, Derek Rose,

Here was the final four teams: UCLA, UNC, KU, Memphis

Here are players who played in the final four: Russell Westbrook, Kevin Love, Darren Collison, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Lawson, Ellington, Green, Hansflopper, Derek Rose

Here are the Coaches: Calapari, Williams, Self, Howland

For the love of God, I beg someone to find a better team in the past 50 years. Find a better championship tourney. KU 08 should easily be number 1 of the past decade, but yet most rank them at 8 or 9.

Rant over

MimiHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

It will be fun to see how many of the 2008 team will be at the game for Rio.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

PART 2

If you are not a champion, it doesn't make any difference how many points you scored, how many AA teams you were selected to, how you did in the pros, who you got on the good side of after your playing days, and how many times the rules for admission for individual players get reindexed like so many BEA statistics.

Its a harsh truth. Wilt Chamberlain was by my personal standards that greatest player in the history of the game. Frankly, none of the other guys with retired jerseys could hold his jock strap as an individual player. In a game of one on one, he would beat every guy up on the field house wall without much effort.

BUT HE WASN'T A CHAMPION!

As much as I love Wilt, as much as I love Bill Bridges, as much as I love every guy up on that wall, the ones that weren't champions don't deserve to be up there.

And the ones that were champions, don't deserve to be up there without their teammates.

To do this to Kansas basketball is sacrilege in my book.

TEAM.

CHAMPION TEAMS.

THEY ARE WHO BELONG UP ON THE WALLS. NOT JUST THEIR BANNERS. THE WHOLE TEAM.

Period.

ROCK CHALK!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"ONLY PHOTOS OF CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS BELONG ON THE FIELD HOUSE WALLS"

PART 1

The whole jersey thing always defaults into a popularity contest. And anyone that thinks what players do as pros doesn't matter, or what university political connections players build in the years after they leave doesn't matter, is kidding him/herself.

There is no basis of comparison among Mario Chalmers, Nick Collision, Wilt Chamberlain, Ray Evans, Fred Pralle and Al Petersen. Each was great in his own era in his own way. I love everyone of them. I want each of them honored and remembered, but not in the field house in this way.

The field house is the most sacred ground we have. Up there, only the greatest "champions" of all time belong.

Champions are the gold standard. Everything else is Fed note ready print. I'm not knocking the non champions, like Wilt, Jo Jo, and Nick. They deserve ample recognitions in the hall of fame.

But in the field house?

I wish they would take all the jerseys down and hang them up on the Boothe Sports Hall. At the rate this is going, we're going to need one of those conveyor racks from a laundry to hold all the retired jerseys.

The only thing that should be hanging up in the field house besides National Championship banners are giant team photos of NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAMS.

Seriously, its a team game. No player can ever become a champion by himself.

We play the game to try to become champions.

I would bet everything I have that not one of KU's great coaches has ever walked into the field house at the beginning of the season and said, "Okay, boys, the goal this year is to try to develop some guy so his retired jersey is hanging up there by the windows."

Each season, its team. Each season the coach says, "We're trying to become the best team we can possibly be and we're playing to win a conference title and a national championship."

If trying to become the best team a group of players can be in a hunt to be a champion is not what KU basketball is about, if what we honor in the field house is stars that were great athletes, then I personally would much rather start hanging the lingerie of super models up there, because even the worst looking super model is better looking that one of our players and I prefer beauty to anything but champions.

Champions are rare. Champions are special. Champions are greatness personified. Champions are gold in a talus field of excellent teams, not so great teams, and lousy teams.

But most of all, in basketball, champions are TEAMS!!!!!

Honoring champions would resolve all of these debates about standards immediately.

If your team is a champion, then a picture of you and your teammates is up there.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

I sure picked a good game to go to for the year. Gameday, Beat down of Texas, Julius Randle, off on the following Monday and now Mario's jersey ceremony......think I'll head over to the casino tonight!!!

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Personally, I don't like the idea of hard & fast rules for jersey retirement. Especially when those rules are based on the opinions and votes of the national media (who we all know doesn't seem to give KU and its players as much slobbering love as some other "blue chip" programs).

To me, a player deserves to be in the rafters if he made an extraordinary and/or significant contribution to Kansas bball. Or if he was the best player on a great team. Or if that player single-handedly gave Kansas' team one of the many accolades we've racked up over the years.

For example, putting a team on your back in significant tourney game, like Chalmers in the 2008 Big 12 title, or Hinrich in the 2003 NCAA Elite Eight game against Arizona, or Nick Collison in the 2003 NCAA Sweet Sixteen game against Duke (everyone remembers Collison's 20-20 Dick Vitale standing ovation game in AFH vs. Texas, but people never seem to recall his game against Duke where he poured in 33 points and ripped down 19 rebounds to lead us against JJ Reddick's dookies).

I don't think there's a problem with having a fluid standard to account for teams like 2008, who I think most of us agree was one of the best all-around Jayhawk teams of the last 20 years, and was filled with NBA guys, many of whom could have been the primary option on some of the less talented Jayhawk teams. Guys like Rush and Arthur suffer because they bought into being a member of a team, rather than being "The Guy" and filling up box scores like we know they were capable of doing.

I'd LOVE to see a voting formula that involves a combo of votes from Jayhawk sportswriters (active and retired) former players, season ticket holders (for the seasons of the player being voted upon), and Kansas fans/alumni. I don't know what the distribution of each of those groups would have to be to make sure you got results that weren't skewed by the fan vote, but I think you could come to a pretty decent formula.

Maybe make the vote 60% sportswriters, 25% former players, 5% season ticket holders and 10% Kansas fans and/or alumni... I dunno. It's a hard thing to do, but as long as we aren't sticking every Jayhawk that played on a winning team in there, I don't have a problem with relaxing the jersey retirement rules. Kansas Basketball is basketball history, and people who play here and excel deserve to be credited for it.

Maybe a tiered system of retired jerseys would do the trick... you have a Blue level (reserved for the more stringent requirements that were in place over a decade ago), Crimson level (for the updated 2003 standards) and a Chalk level (reserved for players that may not have had the kind of national recognition, but were hugely important to Kansas basketball). Perhaps the Chalk level could involve some kind of vote.

At this point, I'm rambling. I just love my Jayhawks and want to be able to honor them--even the ones who may not have achieved national recognition.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

so maybe in the next 4 years, if the rules have been relaxed as they say in addition T.Rob we might see Rush's retired too then perhaps? Sherron MIGHT have a case.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 2 months ago

Are there certain standards players have to meet to have their jersey retired? I remember there used to be, but then Lew Perkins came around and started retiring everyone's.

Is it just a length of time? 5 years?

Or All-American (on some level)?

Final four MOP?

I was thinking players had to be named to an all-american team (academic included).

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Makes me feel old that it has already been 5 years since the Orange Bowl and NC year..

JHAWKNPHX 1 year, 2 months ago

How about Cole Aldrich being an academic all American!! HCBS should push that ASAP. He knows first hand how difficult it is to be a student athlete and still make excellent grades.

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 2 months ago

God knows I'll be crucified for this comment but I disagree in retiring his jersey. Don't get me wrong, I love Chalmers. I was even at the game in SA when he hit the shot so in no way am I an uncaring fan or biased against hiim. However, he was never even a Big 12 First Team selection. He was never an All-American. He never averaged over 13pts/game or 5 assists/game. Yes, he hit THE SHOT of KU history. No question about that. However, that was a team effort, his shot sent us to OT where the team won it. I just don't see this being a jersey worthy of the rafters. I'm not saying I don't have a love for Chalmers. I'm simply saying that hanging in those rafters for the rest of time should be limited to the absolute greatest players we've seen. And while he's been as important for KU's record books as anyone not named Danny Manning, he as an individual did not dominate the competition like a Simien, Gooden, Pierce, White, Collison, etc.

I can probably get behind Rush's jersey being retired. Collins I'd be acceptable with as well as TRob.

Marcus, Cole, Tyshawn, Chalmers just don't quite make my cut of the absolute elite of KU history.

Benjamin Simon 1 year, 2 months ago

perfectly timed for julius randle's visit. nice!

Lifelong_Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I knew it was coming sooner or later, and it is so good to have him get his name hung in the rafters at last. Way to go, Super Mario!

Damian Glaze 1 year, 2 months ago

I wish this could have been done for the Big Monday game earlier that week against the kitties. I'm sure the schedule worked out this way, but I would think the Big Monday crowd will be a better audience - especially if KSCC keeps winning and Texas is still in the cellar.

LittleRockJayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Question: What effect, if any, does a retired jersey have on a current player's jersey? I heard or read somewhere that a retired jersey also retires the number unless granted permission by the retired player. However, Wayne Simien's jersey #23 is worn by BMac, and Chalmers' #15 is currently worn by EJ. Someone please enlighten. Thanks!

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

My fav memory was his freshmen year I think (2006 ish) when he nailed a floater against oklahoma while driving down the lane, we won 59-58 I think but it was a battle to the end. Even Self left the court with his arms held high, showing some rare emotion after a victory.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe Mario can recreate "the shot" live.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 2 months ago

Regarding Sherron and Morningstar.....Sherron did in fact leave KU at the time as the winningest KU player ever: 130 wins. Morningstar left with 128 (165 if you count his redshirt season of 2008, but I don't believe the wins in a redshirt season count for him). Tyrel Reed is currently the all time winningest KU b-ball player with 132 wins. Elijah Johnson has a shot at passing Reed. EJ currently has 117.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 2 months ago

Julius Randle will be there to watch.

mejayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

As memorable as that game-tying shot was, when I think of Mario, I mostly remember those long arms of his, in the passing lanes, getting steal after steal. A well-deserved honor.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Well Deserved! Chalmers was a stud! Going to be awesome seeing his Jersey Retired. Ben McLemore, go get your Final 4, A National Championship, and your retired jersey in your only year as a Jayhawk.

Man, that facial on Derrick Rose never gets old.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Next, Brandon Rush and Sherron Collins, come on down!