Kansas defeats Kansas State, 59-55

• 7 p.m., Jan. 22, 2013
  • Bramlage Coliseum, Manhattan, KS

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sealed with a kiss: Travis Releford’s ‘unbelievable’ game lifts KU over K-State

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson waves goodbye to the Bramlage Coliseum crowd after the Jayhawks' 59-55 win over Kansas State on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over KSU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after the Jayhawks' 59-55 victory over Kansas State on Jan. 22, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford and Jeff Withey

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-55 victory over Kansas State on Jan. 22, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KSU coach Bruce Weber and guard Rodney McGruder

Kansas State coach Bruce Weber and guard Rodney McGruder talk after the Wildcats' 59-55 loss to Kansas on Jan. 22, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-KSU

— Elijah Johnson paused in the south tunnel of Bramlage Coliseum, and, with a big smile on his face, blew kisses to thousands of purple-clad fans in the Kansas State student section.

“That was a goodbye kiss that felt good,” Johnson, Kansas University’s senior point guard, said after scoring eight points and grabbing four rebounds while dishing four assists against five turnovers with two steals in the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks’ 59-55 victory over No. 11-rated KSU on Tuesday night.

“It felt great to know I came in here and won three of four (in his career). This is a game I always wanted to play in since I was a freshman and to actually go out and produce for our team defensively and offensively ... it’s close to the end. I enjoyed the whole process. As crazy and weird as this may sound, I’m going to miss K-State. It’s probably the funnest environment to play in,” Johnson added.

Johnson was able to go out a winner in his final trip to Bramlage thanks in large part to senior Travis Releford, who scored 12 points off 5-of-6 shooting, but perhaps more importantly held KSU’s Rodney McGruder to 13 points off 4-of-12 shooting.

“I thought Travis played unbelievable. It was one of the better games he’s played for us,” KU coach Bill Self said after the Jayhawks improved to 17-1 overall and 5-0 in the Big 12. KSU dropped to 15-3 and 4-1.

“He was exhausted the second half. He asked to come out. I said no,” Self added with a smile.

This was a night where Self didn’t stop there.

Releford truly deserved a pat on the back from his coach for his work on the Big 12’s third-leading scorer, who entered with a 15.5 ppg average.

“He is smart. He is strong. He can slide. He is athletic. He’s tough on top. He did a great job guarding a team that set a ton of screens tonight,” Self said of Releford.

McGruder missed six of nine threes on a night Shane Southwell hit five of 11. As a team, KSU canned nine of 30 threes to KU’s four of 13.

“I think it was amazing,” senior Kevin Young said of Releford’s defense. “His main focus was not letting McGruder score.”

“Travis always helps save the day,” Johnson stated. “Rodney was supposed to score 22 tonight. Travis did a great job on him, got to him. You’ve got to give at least half the credit (for the win) to Travis.”

Releford — he also two big threes in three tries — gave himself a passing grade for his work on McGruder.

“The first half, I did real well making him uncomfortable and not let him get easy looks at the rim,” Releford said. McGruder scored two points the first half off 1-of-4 shooting (Releford had eight points) as KU led, 31-27, at the break.

“The second half, my teammates continued to help me by letting me get through down screens. I just continued to do whatever the team needed me to do, because we knew he would be the guy they were going to go to on offense. We tried to put a lot of pressure on their guards.”

Southwell scored a career-high 19 points off 7-of-16 shooting (5-11 from three).

“I think he would get my vote for most improved player in the league,” Self said, “because if you remember last year we played a triangle-and-two and the guy we did not guard was Shane, and he did not even look at the basket. He was probably their best offensive threat tonight.”

KU’s Withey (11 points, 10 rebounds) scored four points, Releford two and McLemore (11 points) two in an 8-0 run that gave KU a 39-30 lead with 16:16 left in the second half. McLemore scored five straight points to up a 48-43 lead to 53-43 at 6:51.

The Wildcats were able to slice the gap to 56-53 with 38 seconds left. That’s when Naadir Tharpe swished two free throws at :22.6 to keep KU in command by five. McGruder hit two free throws at 5.5 seconds to cut the gap to 58-55. Johnson made a free throw at 3.6 seconds, then missed the second as the clock ran out on KU’s victory.

“Both teams are very good offensively,” Self said. “It just came down to making some plays and having some key moments. We made it hard on ourselves not converting at the free throw line (13 of 21 to KSU’s six of seven).”

Self and the Jayhawks were pleased with a defensive effort that held KSU to 35.1-percent shooting to KU’s 45.7 mark.

“Our game is to not let a team get into the paint, and I think we did a good job of that,” said Withey. “That is what forced them to shoot a lot of threes. Whenever you can get a win on the road, it is good. It’s still early,” Withey added of the race. “They are still going to win games. They are going to come to Allen Fieldhouse, so they have a chance to win there. It matters to the people of Kansas, but as for the league, it’s so early that it does not matter that much,” Withey added.

KU will next play host to Oklahoma at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen.

Comments

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

Dook gets absolutely CRUSHED on the road by TheU! :)

D20 1 year, 2 months ago

Just to add a bit to the discussion about KSU fans...

I grew up in KS and am a graduate of KSU. I love our great state and both of our schools. I grew up rooting for KU baskeball as a kid and have turned into an avid fan as an adult. I love the history and tradition that goes along with KU hoops. And I'm not alone- I have other family and friends who feel exactly the same. I root for both teams throughout the season and find it wildly entertaining whenever they face each other.

So all of that to say that not every KSU fan is as described above. There are plenty of us who have closets full of both purple and blue!

CollegeHoopsFan15 1 year, 2 months ago

I just thought I should add this to the mix...

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Just thought I'd throw this out there. First / Second / Third Team All Jayhawk for over the last 25-years (Post-Manning).....I'm taking this from the stanpt. NOT of duration of career as much as how good were they when they peaked?....AND I'm doing each of these with a logical 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 man:

First Team = Hinrich, McLemore, Pierce, Tho. Robinson & Withey

Second Team = J. Vaughn, Langford, B. Rush, N. Collison & Aldrich

Third Team = S. Collins, Chalmers (yeah, combo. G), Mc. Morris (probably played = time at the "3" or "4"), LaFrentz, & Ostertag

Honorable Mentions = Simien, Ty. Taylor, E. Johnson, K. Gregory, Arthur, Ter. Brown, Pritchard, Randall, Haase, R. Walters, Ad. Jordan, D. Gooden, Woodberry, Boschee & Pollard (maybe even iffy on H.M. for Pollard)...other potential H.M.'s to Ru. Robinson, Ry. Robertson, & Tr. Releford....Robinson & Releford probably earn it for their def. play.

kennethst 1 year, 2 months ago

Poor K-State.......always the bridesmaid.....never the bride.

Too bad.......So sad.

Sally Presson 1 year, 2 months ago

Travis is one great Jayhawk, he has given us his all. Last night's game he was the Man of the game. Those poor fans don't even know how stupid they are, it's sad and I'm embarrassed for them. And the fans at a pro game booing at Markiff was way out of line. it's a pro game for goodness sake, those people know nothing about the KU/KState rivalry and just looked at those people and thought "What a bunch of hicks".

For me personally I wanted to beat their coach, the sight of that man makes me sick, he is not a good person, I hated to see K State get him because he's not good for the program.

Awfully proud of our Jayhawks, way to go Hawks!!!

JayHok 1 year, 2 months ago

The purple emaws are an interesting group. The ones who don't live that close to Lawrence are excited for anything that moves and I mean that in the best of ways. Once the NCAA tourney comes and their team is out they'll make sure to watch every Kansas game. Not necessarily clapping and jumping, but still enjoying. This is why the Purples can never be Mizzou as bad as the twelve KSU fans in Lawrence may want it to happen. Some of us secretly hoped they would beat Baylor even if it went against what might be better for Weis's KU's football program's recruiting in the longrun... Some of them secretly hoped we would beat Kentucky. Many KU fans could care less about KSU, not in a bad way, wouldn't have ever known who they were without being bugged about a shirt they were wearing. Not a single KSU fan doesn't know who KU is. Not that it matters. It's just there's only one flagship institution and I guess since we don't have Washington DC in our state it gives them something to get fired up about. It'll be interesting to see how Weber deals with this group in a couple years. You can still see Frank's mentality in their squad a bit like Self's signature was stamped into that 2005 Illinois team.

The best basketball schools consider "all the schools in their conference" plus the blue bloods (UNC, UK) their rivals. That's certainly the way the other gyms in our conference treat us and it's how he handle every single opponent that comes into Allen Fieldhouse whether it be Washburn or Iowa State. The point being, people who are trying to force a rivalry because of one reason or another, probably aren't seeing the bigger picture. Anyone who has played us since Naismith rolled the ball on the court HAS considered us a rival. The only real hated part of anything came from Mizzou, for obvious historical reasons. We don't need another Mizzou. We play about 40 of these rivalries a year in basketball, that's part of being a blue blood.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I think there were more non calls than bad calls, and that's just the way I like it. I agree it was a great game just from a viewing standpoint and for once I wasn't worries in the least. I've had to leave the room for many of our other games.

One last thing...... I never thought I'd live to see the day when KU had "fouls to give" at the end of a game in manhattan!!!!!

yates33333 1 year, 2 months ago

What is very difficult to understand is that the announcers and I saw Withey get two, maybe three, blocks. Yet, the box score doesn't credit him with any. Weird!! Fran Franschilla, or however you spell it, doesn't usually make mistakes on something so obvious as a block.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 2 months ago

fatigue is easily cured by adrenaline. Adrenaline is a product of shot-making.

K-State was likely just as fatigued as KU because they weren't making shots.

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

Regarding those who've suggested fatigue might have been an issue tonight, I really don't think so. Fatigue can be an issue on jump shots, but the kinds of shots we were missing were around the rim, and the guy who should have been more tired than anyone for chasing MacGruder around 5 million screens shot the ball quite well.

I'll close by saying this about these Jayhawks--I'm concerned that they are ultimately going to succumb to one of two big-time flaws: 1) tendency to fall asleep on perimeter shooters (Southwell might've had more open looks than our entire team), and 2) our inability to make crisp passes that are less likely to be picked off. There are some things about this team that remind me of the 2008 team, but one of the most glaring differences is the passing. That 2008 team might have been Self's best passing team in his time at KU. The ball was constantly moving and rarely stuck, and when it was moving, the passes were crisp frozen ropes, rather than lazy parabolic arcs. This team not only throws tons of arcing passes, but the ball tends to stick and they tend to over-dribble (especially Tharpe). That being said, I think Tharpe had a good game.

I really hope they get that fixed before the postseason, because I have a bad feeling about a tourney game where we let a guy go off from three while also committing a bunch of turnovers with lazy passes. Hopefully I'm just being overly-sensitive.

Ben Kane 1 year, 2 months ago

to those whining about charges and what not, i thought the game was called pretty fair both ways. I was forced to listen to the game on a wildcats radio station and i promise they were many calls and non-calls they were unhappy with... (basically all of them that didn't go their way :) )

Sam Constance 1 year, 2 months ago

I posted (part of) this over under the Postgame Discussion tab, but this seems like the place to share thoughts about the game, so...

I love Kevin Young's hustle, but the last few games, he has certainly shown signs of why he was not a highly-touted recruit. Tonight, I counted a handful of really great, hardworking plays where he enabled KU to score or get the ball from KSU, but I also counted several completely terrible plays.

The most glaring was obviously his WTF!?! shot/pass/lob to the 10-footer that he apparently saw on the court. If that was a shot, it was literally the worst I have ever seen in 20+ years of watching basketball. If it was a pass, it was a top-five worst I've ever seen. There was no explanation for it whatsoever.

He also missed 4 (or 5) bunnies around the rim. Granted, he got his own rebound and scored for one of those shots, but for the other three, that's 6-8 points that KU should not have left on the table. It's the difference (all else being equal) between a double-digit win and a 4-point squeaker.

The silver lining here is that Perry Ellis is the heir apparent to Kevin Young's spot in the lineup, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, he has looked like a completely new player over the last 3-4 games. Maybe Kevin's gaffes are happening because he's seeing the writing on the wall and Ellis breathing down his neck to take his spot. While that worries me a little bit, I can't help but return to my early-season thinking that we are best served if Ellis is starting and Kevin Young is coming off the bench to "lead" the second unit. Maybe the uncertainty--or the impending change that seems to be coming--is contributing to Kevin's erratic play or affecting his focus, which is what seems to be the problem, to me.

Of course, Ellis needs to hit his free throws a bit more consistently, but that doesn't worry me. He seems to have a knack for scoring and nice form, so the free throws will come. I'm so excited about his new sense of aggressiveness and tenacity. He didn't have great numbers in today's game, but he inserted himself in the thick of the action and made a couple of really good plays. He also seems to be showing improved hands--earlier in the season, I felt like he had the tendency to bobble the ball as it was coming to him on passes, but he caught a couple of really difficult passes tonight. I have a feeling that he will be a huge asset come tournament time.

(to be continued...)

jrbill67 1 year, 2 months ago

Young's got to start playing smarter and Ellis has to start playing tougher & this could be a very special year.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 2 months ago

The post by TexasRockChalk kind of leads to my thoughts after last night's game. I would say that our defensive intensity has nothing to do with our sputtering offense, agreeing with BigManU. But I would also agree with jhox that fresh legs mean something. I just don't think that playing good defense means an elite athlete's performance should be diminished on the offensive end. Now, the arduous chasing of a top player that Releford did? That's arguable. But Releford has shown that he can make plays on offense really anytime he wants to. He actually turns it up most often near the end of the game.

Really, our lack of offensive "pop" is related to a "play slow" mindset, in my opinion. We created a very slow pace to the game, and do this regularly. And despite Self saying he wants to play faster sometimes, his approach creates a slower game.

Specifically, we do not push the ball up the court. On a made shot, we stand around and wait for the designated player to throw the ball in. EJ and Tharpe will stand there and wait for someone to throw the ball in, instead of grabbing it, and throwing it in immediately. Others just turn and run down the court. That is coached.

Most of the times, we don't force the action down the court off a miss, and we're content to "set it up." We have zero .. I mean completely zero .. secondary break. There is obviously no secondary break scheme.

We played in the 50s. We did that because coach Self is ok with it. He must believe that this team is best playing this way. Defense first, slower pace, break only when it's clearly there, value possessions. We are 17-1. Who's arguing?

My only caution is the hot shooting team. We hit a hot shooting team, we may not have an answer. It's hard to turn the faucet on only when needed. Our defense helps make teams shooting % go down, but we all know that there are times when the defense can't stop the hot shooting team.

That is my biggest concern. That we play a slow game. That we allow a slow game. A possession by possession game permits inferior teams to hang around because the game is shorter. Add that to a team that might be unconscious for a stretch, and that spells disaster.

Recent examples where teams hung around and weren't even hot ... Temple, Texas Tech, Texas, and K-State. Iowa St. was a different type of game.

I completely value our defense. My concern is whether we have an answer for a team like Temple if they actuallyhave a good shooting night of 45-50% instead of below 30%.

With a good sample under our belts, my only real concern is that our style of play makes us more vulnerable to the hot shooting team, while acknowledging that coach Self installing this style of play may be what has us at 17-1 vs. 13-4. I have UNI and VCU scars and I think having a fast-paced, push the ball answer to the hot shooting team is a necessity.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 2 months ago

A little off topic, but last night's game is why we should never play Wichita State. If anybody else noticed, KU was ranked #2 and KSU #11. An epic battle on the road, and a solid entertaining game. Lots of story lines (e.g. #1 draft pick, both coaches at Illinois, etc.). And who carried the game...yep you guessed it ESPN3. We couldn't even make ESPNU. Even Kentucky at Alabama made it before this game. I realize that many of these games are set at the beginning of the year; however, if there was a game of North Carolina that wasn't on TV, you know ESPN would have found a way to move it onto the network.

All I'm saying is outside of Kansas, this game didn't mean much.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Give credit to KSU, they were running the right plays to get McGruder, Southwell and Rodriguez open. They did an especially good job getting McGruder open (enough to get a quick shot off at least), he just had some trouble hitting the open shots early last night thanks to Travis Releford.

Also, last night was another example of how Withey impacts every game defensively just by his presence alone. No way they attempt 30 three pointers if Withey isn't doing a good job of guarding the paint. A lot of people were expecting Withey to play a lot less yesterday so that KU could better match up with KSU's size, but I'm glad Bill Self went with his normal game plan. We're one of the best teams in the country this year (like most years), and if anybody is going to adjust their game plan it should be our opponents. Obviously, what we do works.

EJ needs to protect the ball a lot better, but at least he makes up for it with aggression on offense. He made a few easy layups just because he was aggressive early in the game. Those are the kinds of plays that are the difference between a win and a loss.

Our team as a whole needs to figure out how to make good passes. There were so many senseless turnovers last night. Losing the turnover battle has been a trend with this team all year long and eventually that will come back to bite us.

Overall though, this was a huge win for KU. This may be the toughest road test for KU all season, and they passed. It's certainly looking like a 9th straight Big 12 regular season conference championship is in order.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 2 months ago

Amazing game from Travis! What really makes me excited is the development I have seen in Ellis over the last few games. He looked really good last night. He is agressive and actually is starting to look comfortable. Once his shot starts falling (including free throws) he will be a major force for us going forward!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

What did you guys think of that play Self drew up in the last few minutes...where he had all players on the baseline except EJ. I have not seen that before. That was a Royce White ISt type play. Maybe we'll see it more next year with Selden coming in.

Too bad Elijah's hops are disappearing too. That would have been a play I remembered for life, had he thrown it down like he used to be able too. As he did that 360 in High School.

I believe in Naadir. I believe he has a chance to be our Sherron Collins ala 2008 and come up very big in the tourney this year. But like Sherron, he can also have the problem of not knowing when to stay out of the trees. I'll take his aggression over that risk, though.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

NICE photo of Elijah. As I predicted, the tradition continues: Sherrontagon-->Tyshawntagon-->Elijahgon-->Naadiragon-->Withagon, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...HAWKTAGON!!! Purple can stick it!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Boy, that endless wanking on and on by the announcers about Rodriguez was disgusting. I blame Tharpe more for not cutting off his path to the basket more than giving any, ANY credit to that Rodriguez clown. Rodriguez would never be found in a KU uniform for Bill Self. Oh, and note to announcers: Rodriguez DIDNT get it done. He hasnt come out of his dorm room as he just cant get that bitter "L" taste out of his mouth.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

As four year schol hall resident with my buddy, Bill James, I find there is always room for more statistics, thus I propose the Comparitive Victory Value. This simple formula gives a pretty accurate assessment of a team's win totals.

1] Assign one point for a victory at home.

2] Assign another point for a neutral site win [ Add .5 if it is a true road game]

3] Assign another point for a conference game.

4] Assign another point for a victory over a Top Twenty team.

5] Assign another point for a league tourney game.

6] Assign two points for NCAA playoff victory.

It would seem that by assigning a consistent set of values across the board, a fair comparitive value can be deduced for every team in Division 1. For instance, last night's victory over KSU was a 4.5 value.[ win, conference, true road game, top 25 opponent] whereas let's say American was a one pointer [win, at home, non-conf., unranked.].

CWGOKU 1 year, 2 months ago

I thought with all the hoopla of Perry coming to KU that Releford would be relegated to the bench. I was wrong. First time too. Way to go Travis!

JayHok 1 year, 2 months ago

I actually think the floppingwe saw last night isn't being taught by Weber. Pretty sure that's a reminent of the eyebrow Wizard.

Greenielivz 1 year, 2 months ago

After Travis' performance, was fun to flip over to watch Trevor Releford have a great game and hand Kentucky another loss.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm sure many of you astute posters have noted this hypothesis already -- aka Jaybate, HEM, BigManU, TexasHawk10 to mention a few -- but what about the theory that goes something like this: Our Jayhawks expend SO much energy playing rock-solid defense that their legs get tired to the extent they won't have enough "ups" on their jump shots, and to perhaps even dunk (KY) -- save Ben McLemore of course. That dude has enough hops for an entire squad!

Interested in hearing your thoughts...

Lifelong_Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

As for the game itself, K-State is for real, but Travis Releford was the difference with his solid shooting and lockdown defense. Good game, K-State. Between the Jayhawks' sparkling record, the Wildcats' sparkling record, and the Shockers' sparkling record, the state of Kansas is playing the best college basketball in D-1.

Lifelong_Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

For a rivalry game like this, I wish KU would wear the red jerseys. So far, we've worn the red only once all season, against Washburn. If we're not gonna wear the red jerseys, why have them? They're a waste of space.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

-KY missed some easy lay-ups, but I don't think that necessarily equates to playing bad. He did a lot of other small things, but he needs to hit those bunnies. That tip pass to Ellis from Rio was freaking sweet at the end of the first half.

-Man, Tharpe had some open looks from 3 tonight and didn't convert. He is one streaky shooter. I liked what I saw from Tharpe tonight and EJ played well with him on the court so that is a combination I like. That behind the back pull up jumper was sweet. He also had some nice kickouts to both EJ and Relly for 3 pointers.

-Ellis-Well done kiddo! His game is definitely improving. Keep working on those FT's. I like the attack mode.

-Relly-Just another solid effort that really goes unnoticed by most. He did a great job on McGruder and produced another efficient night offensively. That spin move for reverse layup was sweet.

-B-Mac was every where defensively tonight. Pretty quiet night as usual. He needs to find a way to get more shot attempts. He should be averaging double digit shot attempts IMO. I know, foul trouble had a little bit to do with that tonight.

-Surprsised Withey didn't pick up a block tonight. With that said, Withey is Withey. I have become so comfortable with him on the court because of his defensive capabilities, I don't really fault him for his offensive flaws. Another Double/Double for our footer.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 2 months ago

-I don't know about the rest of you, but this game had a different "Ugly" feel to it than other games. You always hear Self say you need a good rhythm game every once in a while to get that offensive spark back...I think this was the potential game, but guys missed a lot of easy shots.

This game had a different feel to it in the sense that Self let guys be a little more "Creative" with less offensive sets tonight. I mean, that's the way the game viewed to me. I thought Kansas actually had some nice "flow" tonight, but just missed a number of open looks. Kansas did shoot 46 percent on only 46 attempts so that is a pretty good number despite a number of easy misses and the lack of FG attempts.

-This was a great game IMO to watch. Credit K-State for showing up and they also missed a number of open looks early in the first half. I enjoyed this game.

-I know McLemore got into foul trouble in the first half but we saw a lot of Tharpe/EJ with Relly and McLemore as the "3's" in the first half. I am liking the Tharpe/EJ lineup more and more. EJ seems more comfortable in that role and Tharpe's confidence as the primary ball handler seems to be getting better and better. Despite the missed shots between the two, I thought they played the best they have played with one another tonight.

-I got to give EJ credit. I thought his energy and aggressiveness was fantastic tonight. Yes, he missed some shots, but I think this is the EJ I have been expecting for most of the year! Well Done! He still seems more comfortable at the SG spot rather than PG, but either way he tried to be creative from opening tip tonight and I give him a lot of props. His play and extra energy tonight energized the ball club. He still had almost half the team turnovers (5 of the 13), but he can limit a couple of those. Big Improvement. He still finishes better going "Right" at the rim than he does going "Left" at the rim, but tonight was the first time in a long time that I have become encouraged with EJ's play.

cont'd

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

Grandpa saved us last night for sure.

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Is that Bill Snyder behind Tyler Self's head in the photo?

Jayhawks Rock 1 year, 2 months ago

Does anyone know why there was a 6 minute timeout in the middle of the second half? I just watched it on TV and they never mentioned anything. I have never seen a timeout even half that long. That was weird (something on the court?).

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 2 months ago

The Bad News: KY is losing his focus. He was 1 for 6 from 2 feet, and the 1 was a putback on his miss. He seems a bit lazy on offense and acts like his top priority is helping whithey. IT IS NOT. Guard your man and help quickly, not sag off for help and leave your man open. KY made me think about what Coach said about tyshawn, "he will do things you just cannot coach, and then he will do things you will think he's never been coached." If KY just focuses on guarding his man top priority and rebounding, he is a lock. OH yeah, do not practice 3's from the top, if your man is in your face, get the ball up top, quick step and drive for the slam or dish, and probably the foul line. you arew not sinking a 25' threy anytime soon. Kevin Up!

The good news: Kentucky lost, we are one game closer to being the all time winningest program in college basketball history. i think we are at 15 or 16 behind Kentucky. We started the season at 20.

hotrodm 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes , without a doubt this was KY's worst game. He was letting Southwell shoot wide open shots. KY missed a lot of close in shots. His pass to Whithey from the three point line was as bad as it gets. Kevin will need to pull his head out if KU plans to go deep into the NCAA tourney.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

Can Perry Ellis dunk? His vertical looks pathetic. But he is definitely improving by way of being more aggressive.

April13 1 year, 2 months ago

Was that Kevin Young's worst game ever? If Kevin plays just an average game, we win by double-digits. He has looked out-of-sync the last few times out. I hope that he fights his way through the slump soon.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh, and I forgot to mention.....

EMAW!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

Whine all you want, Staters, but the results will be the same.

23-2.

doolindalton 1 year, 2 months ago

The missed story is how well the bench played. Ellis and Tharpe had 14 points between them and both played exceptionally well defensively. Those two were the difference. Ellis has to become consistent at the line. I watched him play in high school and don't recall him looking so tenuous at the line. Otherwise, this was his best game.

fansincewilt 1 year, 2 months ago

Great game, Travis. Let's not stop here. Let's go all the way.

Janet Scott 1 year, 2 months ago

The KSU boo morons are in a one word 'boo' rut, as their small brains are saturated with methane fumes from all the manure laying around and piled up on campus.

Gerry Butler 1 year, 2 months ago

i have to agree with some posts, pery is starting to look a little better, maybe a little more comfortable which is good he helped tonight for sure, travis was travis AGAIN you have to appreciate how he gets after it defensively. i think we played some better then we have ib the previous 4 games but like bill says we are just not getting some shots to fall but if you look at it another way if we can find ways to gut it out and win a fw games where offensively we are not at our best then i just think thats where our senior experience is HUGE. point about the ball not falling, not sure how many chippies kevin missed right at the rim, but this is team is good, very good and if we get back to the way we were playining in DEC them look out. but it was a good win any time you can win on the road is definetely a plus. but i forgot bramlage is ALLEN WEST GO HAWKS

actorman 1 year, 2 months ago

I've posted this a couple of times already but you can't blame a guy for trying: Does anyone have an extra ticket to the home game against KSU on 2/11 (not 2/10, as I erroneously posted yesterday)?

RJ King 1 year, 2 months ago

If Travis brought spectacular offense instead of defensive prowess, wouldn't we be speculating which round (#1 or #2) he might fall in the draft? I don't know whether to lament the lack of recognition, accolades, and automatic future that a defensive specialist will see, or whether to celebrate it's existence for now in the college game.

It just seems unfair that his skills and efforts probably won't translate into the NBA game. Maybe Europe. But if Travis was to dog a player in the NBA the way he did McGruder, wouldn't he be criticized for being such a red hot, overachiever, or pest?

overseasjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

"T Releford leads team to big win, 59-55"

That could be the headline for KU over K State, as well as Bama over Kensucky. It was a great night last night!

KJD 1 year, 2 months ago

The photo above captures another great smile by Elijah and Tyler's in the background is good too. Had to capture the celebration of Travis behind Elijah right after Johnson iced the game to put us up four. Great game Travis!

Releford Leads KU

Releford Leads KU by KJD

Cmill1221 1 year, 3 months ago

Possibly the two of the worst charge calls i have ever seen on B-Mac. Sucked that he had to sit the first half.

Sam Constance 1 year, 3 months ago

The KSU fanbase cannot be taken seriously until they learn a tiny bit of selectivity on when it makes sense to boo or not.

As I was listening to the pregame on 610, they interviewed a couple different people who were in Manhattan, and in the background all of a sudden a chorus of boos erupted and continued for several minutes. Come to find out the Jayhawks had taken the court for the first time for their warmups. I get wanting to create a hostile environment for your opponent, but booing for 5 minutes straight while your opponent warms up seems like a waste of energy. Save that booing for the game, when it might actually rattle the visitors.

Then of course, it's clear that your average KSU fan has no concept of a "bad" call vs. a "good" call. A whistle going against your team does not a bad call make, yet the Wildcat faithful had all the discrimination of an Italian looking for a can of Chef Boyardee--it was all bad. The thing they don't seem to understand is that if you boo everything, at a certain point it doesn't rattle your opponent, it just amuses them. When you boo every tiny little call that goes against your team, you'll never get to that moment when an opposing player steps to the line amidst a maelstrom of vicious boos and misses two free throws because he's so uncomfortable (like KU did to Baylor after Travis was called for that BS flagrant 1 foul in AFH).

I think my favorite KSU fan comment I read after the game was the guy on ESPN who complained about the refs' handling of the shot clock violation call where the KSU player had in fact hit the rim. He thought the refs stopping play and having to double-check ruined his team's chance to score after getting the offensive rebound. I guess he missed the fact that Withey finished out the play by rejecting Enriquez and getting the ball back

I have to say, now that Missouri is gone, there is no other Big 12 team I dislike losing to more than KSU. The difference, however, between the two is that when not playing KSU, I actually can find myself rooting for their success without choking on my own vomit. Such is not the case for the Tiggers. The main reason I don't like losing to KSU is because their fans can be quite insufferable. The main reason I don't like losing to Missouri is because someone has to stand in the way of Evil Incarnate.

VailHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Does anyone remember when K-State played in their first cotton bowl in the 90's and took like 30,000 fans to Texas? Amazingly, it raised the IQ level of both states!

William Blake 1 year, 3 months ago

MANHATTAN MERCURY

FOR SALE: (1) purple beer coolur, (1) purple rustd BBQ grill, (1) purple flag with wite cat grafic in senter, (1) purple truker's cap, (1) purple snuf can, (24) purple coolies, (1) purple chainssaw. Immideate sell, best ofer.

VailHawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Just finished watching replay on espn3. Mildcats fought hard in the Hawktagon but alas, they lost...again. The crowd never ceases to amaze me how much they boo and complain about every call and non-call. It's almost as if they don't really watch much basketball...makes you wonder...

Scott Smetana 1 year, 3 months ago

Tharpe is the most improved player. Amazing. Hurts to have him on the bench. I'm starting to feel better by the minute with Ellis in the game over Young, especially if its a bruiser game. That seems to be the new style against us.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 3 months ago

I thought Ellis played well. Played better than KYo. A few more games go this way he might be looking at possibly taking his spot in the starting lineup.

Releford might be the most missed player in next years squad. His ability to shut down the opposing team's best offensive threat while still producing clutch shots on the offensive end is amazing. I don't think people realize just how valuable he is to this team's success.

Keep it rollin, RCJH!

nostradavid 1 year, 3 months ago

Barnlage Silo is a great place for the Jayhawks to play. We have so much fun.

Those Wildcats can ...

Kiss Our Tail Feathers!

Kiss Our Tail Feathers! by nostradavid

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

Soon the Hawks will put it together offensively. They are all very good shooters.

stm62 1 year, 3 months ago

The Bramlage fans were so amped for this game. They knew they had a decent chance to beat us. This made it especially SWEET to beat them. Perry Ellis did a good job of attacking the rim and drawing fouls on the purples big men, especially since Withey was in foul trouble.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 3 months ago

Wish I could have seen it!!! Great game, one and all from the sound of it. Way to pop the purples at the octopus of gloom!

Rock CHalk!!