Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kansas quarterback Crist MVP of NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

— Kansas University quarterback Dayne Crist threw for a touchdown and ran for another to lead the National to a 34-0 victory over the American on Saturday at the second annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl.

photo

National team quarterback Dayne Crist (10) of Kansas holds up the trophy as head coach Dick Vermeil, right, and NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith celebrate after the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 in Carson, Calif. (Ric Tapia/AP Images for NFLPA)

photo

National team quarterback Dayne Crist (10) of Kansas calls out a play during the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 19, 2013 in Carson, Calif. (Ric Tapia/AP Images for NFLPA)

Crist completed seven of 10 passes for 61 yards and was named MVP. He opened the scoring with a one-yard run in the second quarter and followed it with a seven-yard TD pass on the next possession to help stake the National to a 17-0 halftime lead.

South Carolina kicker Adam Yates kicked field goals of 40 and 41 yards, Washington State quarterback Jeff Tuel threw for a score, and Texas Tech running back Eric Stephens Jr. ran for a touchdown as well to round out the National scoring.

The American squad fumbled the ball seven times, turned it over five times and didn’t cross midfield until late in the third quarter.

Former Eagles, Chiefs and Rams head coach Dick Vermeil coached the National squad while former New York Jets coach Herm Edwards guided the American side. Vermeil coached the National team to a 20-14 victory in last year’s inaugural game.

Comments

PSM 1 year, 2 months ago

Dayne Crist is so good I bet the Chiefs take him with the no. 1 overall pick.

Lucas Town 1 year, 2 months ago

I was never sold on Crist due to his play for us, but does this show us how far down the football program is? Put him around some other good talent and he performed quite well. If this team doesn't show drastic growth will we be saying the same thing about Heaps when he leaves?

JHWKDW 1 year, 2 months ago

Good Luck to you Crist! You were a class act while you were here. I wish nothing but the best for you if you make it in the NFL.

How cool would it be if Dayne got drafted by the 49ers? Hey they plan on cutting that Alex Smith in the off season. Learn from Kapernick that be a experience plus be around and learn from Coach Harbaugh. Or better yet drafted by Denver and learn from NFL QB Peyton Manning.

Good Luck Dayne.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

anyone else notice that Crist's center also has a KU logo on his helmet?

741hawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Crist continued his classy presence by not mucking up his KU helmet. Thanks, Dayne.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 2 months ago

Of course, all of the good college players are in Mobile this week

Jack Jones 1 year, 2 months ago

What a great story and accomplishment for a really 'class act' young man. Trust it will lead to a serious opportunity to continue his football career at the next level. Proud to call him a Jayhawk.

Matt Kenton 1 year, 2 months ago

I was never totally sold on Dane Crist, but in his defense I felt he could never get into any kind of rhythm with his receivers. He would make perfect passes that were thrown too hard and not held on to, or some that were just not caught. Then things would fall apart for him and he would make bad passes.

If I were an NFL GM, I'd take a flyer on him for sure.

kay_you 1 year, 2 months ago

Glad to see Dayne get some redemption after what had to be a difficult season.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 2 months ago

Well sitting on the bench all that time at Notre Dame didn't help. He should have transferred out when Weiss left.

Sometimes it's hard to come back after a setback.
Hope he has a great future and gets his confidence back.

mahkmood 1 year, 2 months ago

Lucky of Crist to draw Vermeil instead of Herm. I'm glad for you Crist, and wish you the best, but what was your problem during the season? I hope KU football did not inherit a curse of the Great Mangino.

matlockhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I am happy for Crist that he has done well in these all-star games. My question is- why did he waste our time and not apply himself to help KU during his time here? It almost as if he never had any intention of improving the lowly Jayhawks. So...what was his motive for coming here? Maybe to access the training facilities and Coach Weis? Another question- why did Weis come, and why did he waste a season with Crist knowing that he had no intention of winning and being productive? And....why in the world would the all-star games have him on their rosters after how pathetically he played this year? My theory....conspiracy! Let's hear some other opinions.

Phil Leister 1 year, 2 months ago

Great to see. It's some good publicity for KU. Even if Crist didn't pan out at KU on the field, he's done a lot for the program. Any time the KU logo is on TV, it's a good thing.

jayhawkinmullen 1 year, 2 months ago

I think the Chiefs are going to draft this guy number 1 overall.

Gene Jackson 1 year, 2 months ago

Can someone tell me why Crist is doing so well now, and struggled at KU. Was it the receivers he was throwing to? Was it the line protecting him? I watched him several times throw passes that could have been thrown better by a Jr. High quarterback. Why was this? What is different now?

Randy Maxwell 1 year, 2 months ago

He actually had open recievers to throw to

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm a little upset that the specific game times and players (and their jersey no.s) in the various games were not posted on the KUSports.com website a day or two before the games. I never found the Shriner game played in Florida. I found the NFLPA Bowl game by accident.

I did manage to watch the NFLPA game. I was pleasantly surprised that Crist was starting quarterback. I thought that all the KU players looked very strong. Crist and Williams were talked about and appraised numerous times during the broadcast. Josh Williams played great, and really flattened Crist on one sack of Crist. It wasn't Crist's fault; nobody would have escaped Williams on that play.

None of the other KU players were singled out during the game, and none of them were wearing their KU number. Only through KU helmuts (with about 20 team logos plastered all over them) could one distinguish if the players were KU. I think Marrongelli was center most of the game. He made outstanding blocks throughout his playing time. Zlatnik, also, pushed his men all over the field. I think Opurum was supposed to be playing, but I never found him.

I think it is a great story that so many KU players had an opportunity to play in these games in front of the NFL scouts. It's even more outstanding that all the KU players played so well. Matt Tait needs to do a special post about this. Recruits need to know; KU players will get an audience when it's time for them to leave college football.

rcjallday 1 year, 2 months ago

I've been really impressed with Crist. When things went south at KU, he didn't make excuses and continued to be a great teammate. I think he has a shot at the NFL, because if you look at the mold of current QB's, he fits the bill with size, strength, and smarts.

swunruhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

This is a great story and looks makes KU look good.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 2 months ago

Dayne was having fun. He looked good. His running touchdown was well earned. His general ball handling was solid. Also, Josh Williams looked terrific. He had two monster sacks, one of them being Christ. All the KU players looked good.

billhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Way to go! You did yourself and us proud!

jhawk1998 1 year, 2 months ago

Dayne looked really comfortable out there and drew lots of praise from the commentators. Glad for him and his future. Best wishes!

Raydude 1 year, 2 months ago

Great job. Good to see your upbeat demeanor and positive mindset. I am hoping that you get the opportunity to play a lot more.

KUFan90 1 year, 2 months ago

Ummm ...wut?

Why was he even selected to play in this game?

Todd 1 year, 2 months ago

Glad to hear it. He didn't live up to the hype this year, but I still think he helped KU in recruiting. I will wish him the best of luck in whatever he does from here on out, football or not. Unless he becomes a coach for a rival lol

iamakufan 1 year, 2 months ago

Good job, Dayne Crist, and best to you. Always proud you're a Jayhawk.

kuilander 1 year, 2 months ago

good job dayne and good luck