Saturday, January 19, 2013

KU football coach Charlie Weis issues statement on linebacker Ben Heeney incident

Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein escapes linebacker Ben Heeney for a carry during the third quarter on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan.

Kansas football coach Charlie Weis released a statement Saturday morning regarding linebacker Ben Heeney, who was cited for battery early Sunday morning.

"We are fully aware of the situation involving Ben," Weis said. "We have discussed this with all of the parties involved and believe we know what truly happened. We are handling it internally with appropriate measures.”

Comments

Keith Hummel 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope that's the last we hear of it for now. Doesn't sound like a huge deal. No charges were filed and no one ended up in the emergency room. I trust Coach Weis to do the right thing, and I'm quite certain Ben will be very sorry he made this mistake, whatever the details. Here's hoping Ben takes out his frustrations on Big-12 offenses next year.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't think you read the original report, but he was cited for misdemeanor battery (i.e. charged) and has a court appearance set for sometime in Feb. This could be more than a small thing, hopefully not.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 7 months ago

Yep - I see that now. Maybe it wasn't a small thing after-all. Got a feeling this wasn't much, but who knows. I recall T-Rob being involved in something similar at the Cave a couple of years ago. I wish these guys would just stay out of the bars, but that's probably not realistic.

gbjayhawk13 1 year, 7 months ago

Hunter Jarmon to Oregon State per rivals

Tad Shurtz 1 year, 7 months ago

Weis' statement sounds like coach speak for "I'm on Ben's side."

Probably just an altercation with some douchey bouncers. I don't think he misses a minute of playing time, and I'm good with that. I like my LBs with a temper.

Ray Winger 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't think HCCW is on 'Ben's side'. I think he was inferring that it is not a matter for public discussion, and not severe enough to warrant dismissal or other immediate actions.

WS 1 year, 7 months ago

Brandon Pope 1 year, 7 months ago

"We have discussed this with all of the parties involved and believe we know what truly happened."

The bouncers in Larry have a reputation for both starting these types of things and for blowing them out of proportion to prove how "tough" they are. I would not be surprised if this is another example. Ben seems like a great kid with a good head. I'm not saying he had no fault, but don't be surprised if this doesn't amount to much more than a few more stairs for old Ben.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 1 year, 7 months ago

I've never had any trouble with any bouncers in Lawrence. The bottom line is that cooler heads must prevail. Although I don't know the situation or what happened, I bet I could have quelled the situation.

Bouncer v. Football player is old news and sooooooooooooo lame.

If the bouncer is big and strong and has something to prove he should discuss his weightlifting goals with said football player, maybe they have something in common. If football player is an *elite athlete and feels the need to propagate such an image he should discuss in friendly manner with said bouncer how he approaches fitness, and contrast and compare that to said bouncers fitness regimen. Instead they get into some type of altercation that requires the police. . . what a bunch of losers!

Everybody makes mistakes, yes, but it sounds like these guys need to pump each other.

kay_you 1 year, 7 months ago

Whatever the outcome, I hope Ben realizes he is on a short leash and acts accordingly in the future.

Stay out of bars and nightclubs. Nothing good happens after midnight.

greenworld 1 year, 7 months ago

Nothing good ever happens when you mix alcohol and alot of male testostrome either.

mikehawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Cocktail disaster: Alchohol, late night bars, male egos, and pretty women who look even prettier looking at them through the bottom of a glass.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

Nice work, genius.

That's the way to help us climb out of the Laughing Stock Column.