Originally published January 15, 2013 at 11:58a.m., updated January 16, 2013 at 04:06p.m.

Bill Self to be inducted into Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame

Kansas head coach Bill Self gets a quick talk with his players during the second half on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas men’s basketball coach Bill Self is one of seven people in the 2013 induction class for the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame, Oklahoma Lieutenant Governor Todd Lamb announced Tuesday.

Self will be inducted Aug. 5, 2013, at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been inducted into anything like that. It’s a great honor,” Self said. “I’m really proud of my state and respect all the people in different sports and different areas that have contributed to the rich sports history of Oklahoma.”

Self will be inducted along with Wayne Baughman (University of Oklahoma wrestling), Clay Bennett (owner of the Oklahoma City Thunder), Nadia Comaneci (Olympic gold medal gymnast), LeRoy Gutowski (Oklahoma City University and NFL standout), Jimmy Harris (Oklahoma football) and John Henry Ward (Oklahoma State University two-sport All-American).

Self, who grew up in Edmond, Okla., was selected as the Oklahoma High School Basketball Player of the Year in 1981 while at Edmond Memorial High School. Born in Okmulgee, Okla., Self went on to play at Oklahoma State under coach Paul Hansen from 1982-85. While at OSU, he was a four-year letterwinner and was an All-Big Eight freshman selection.

Self began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Kansas for the 1985-86 season under head coach Larry Brown. He then returned to his alma mater and served as an assistant coach at OSU under Leonard Hamilton and Eddie Sutton from 1986-93. Self’s first head coaching job was at Oral Roberts in 1993-94. His second head coaching stint came four seasons after ORU as he moved across town to Tulsa in 1997-98, guiding the Golden Hurricane to an NCAA Tournament Elite Eight appearance in 2000.

In 2000-01, Self left his home state and took over the coaching job at Illinois, directing the Illini to two conference titles and an NCAA Tournament Elite Eight appearance in 2001.

Self came to Kansas in 2003-04 and in his nine seasons prior to 2012-13 has steered the Jayhawks to the eight straight Big 12 regular-season titles, five Big 12 postseason championships, two Final Fours, one NCAA national championship and one NCAA runner-up finish. The four-time Big 12 Coach of the Year (2006, 2009, 2011 and 2012) has twice been named the national coach of the year (2009 and 2012) while at KU.

From 2007-12, Kansas won more games in a six-year span, 197-29, than any other program in NCAA Div. I history. Self is 284-54 (84 percent) in his 10th season at Kansas and 491-159 (75.5 percent) in his 20th season overall.

Comments

kufankam 1 year, 8 months ago

as an okie resident and an avid jayhawk fan - this is AWESOME!!

travelhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

She and husband Bart Conner live in Edmond and I believe have a gymnastics faciltiy there.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Nadia's husband, and fellow Olympic gold medal winner, Bart Conner. was inducted earlier this year into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame. Bart readily admitted in his acceptance speech, despite his own stardom and accolades, he would always be the second "star" in his own family behind Nadia. Bart also stood on his hands in his tuxedo as a unique element during his acceptance speech.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 8 months ago

One of the first of many HOF's to come Coach Self's way. Rock Chalk!

Adam Evans 1 year, 8 months ago

Didn't realize Self was going to get to 500 this year. Pretty awesome.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

300 for KU, 500 for career...Nadia Comaneci WTF....he better get into the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame because he sure isn't in it right now!!.....most famous Okie, Will Rogers or Mickey Mantle???....record outside of Kansas, 207 - 105, record inside of Kansas 283 - 54...middle name is Anthony. Since that's my middle name also, from now on he will be Coach Tony to me!!!!

Stan Unruh 1 year, 8 months ago

Someone should forward this to Matt Daugherty. He butchered Self's bio on TV last week. Congrats to coach. He deserves it.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes and someone should also send it to Matt Doherty as well!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Be glad I wasn't the Athletic Director at KU when Self was hired.

I remember thinking "really - this is the best guy they can come up with?"

We are so lucky (I'll even make that "blessed") to have him for our coach. He's a first class man and a first class coach. His record is so good it's almost obscene.

I already can't wait until next year, just so I can read the comments about how he can't recruit.

Honestly, I think he could recruit by picking names out of a hat and still coach them to a Conference Championship and deep into the NCAA's.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

nf..I had the good fortune of following Coach Self at nearby Illinois, so I knew what a deal Kansas had made ten years ago. Just think, Missouri interviewed him first and they still took Hair Boy...what a bunch of chuckleheads!!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Hard to believe the brain trust at Misswho messed that up ! lol

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

NULeaf ~ 1) Nice avatar; 2) Good point about Coach Self. Part of his genius and the coaching staff's genius is the ability to take a fairly non-descript high school player and turn him into a legit NCAA star and pro candidate, case in point, TRob, Jeff Withey, Mario, Brandon, etc. Although some of these players were bonafide HIGH SCHOOL stars, they evolved into LEGIT college stars and then some... A well-deserved honour for Coach Self!

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 8 months ago

When picking a recruit, a coach, an assistant coach or an employee for a job you do the best research you can, go with your gut and hope. You never know 'til you find out.

Billy61 1 year, 8 months ago

Now that is a great two sentence truism about your subject and life itself.

knappy78 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember the '01 NCAA tournament game when Roy's KU squad faced off against Self's Illini team. KU was a 4 seed, but it was one of those teams where if we played our A game, we could beat anyone. Self's team controlled every aspect of that game (a trend that would happily continue in future meetings between the two coaches), and they rolled to an 80-64 victory. I probably couldn't have picked most D-I head coaches out of a lineup at that time, but I recognized he was a top-tier coach and made sure to remember his name. When Self was announced as Roy's successor, I was probably one of a very few who immediately knew we got an upgrade.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

That was my reaction as well. I remember Self's Illini (and a seemingly endless supply of big post players with fouls to give) controlling a good Williams team just as you said. I can't say I knew we got an upgrade, but I did think Self was the best available option at the time. Mark Few was my second choice. I was never on the Tom Crean bandwagon, though given his recent success at resurrecting the Indiana program that might have worked out okay too.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 8 months ago

LJW,

Self's record at KU is 284-54. Not 275-54 (an .840 winning percentage, not .836) Hope this helps. Just trying to give coach his proper credit. :)

Jesse Newell 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks. You are correct. It should be fixed above.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 8 months ago

Yea....Doherty did indeed butcher Self's bio last week. He messed it up once, then the tried to correct himself and he was all over the place and goofed it up again! Hope this helps Matt D!

JayhawkPurist 1 year, 8 months ago

A well-deserved honor. Next in line: Springfield.

Displayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Is Bill Self already in the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame??? If not, then he should be! I would think he has already done enough to deserve the honor.

skijamin 1 year, 8 months ago

If this team were to lose every game remaining this season, Self would still post an average of 28.4 wins per season. 16 more wins will bring that up to 30/ season. Unparalleled success. Period.

Kent Wells 1 year, 8 months ago

I see this as a brown-nosing play by T. Boone to lure Coach Self to the dark side. Refuse it coach!

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Self deserves his own wing.

Matt Gauntt 1 year, 8 months ago

Awesome award and well deserved. Congrats HCBS.

Note to Oklahoma: You can't have him back.

Don Everett 1 year, 8 months ago

I wanted Bill the first time Roy played around with Carolina.

There is NO way he goes to Okie State, everyone needs to relax.

Congrats Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

It is sad Paul Hanson has become a little referred to after thought in the coaching ranks, especially here in Oklahoma. That is what happens when you fall somewhere between Henry Iba and Eddie Sutton. The moniker most used to describe him was "great coach who can't recruit." However, he did recruit Coach, and for those of you who can't remember via loss of memory or because you weren't born, Bill Self was a heck of a point guard with a deadly outside shot.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

I've done what I could to record the Okie Baller legacy, once it fed into the KU legacy through Self.

Thanks for doing some more.

mikehawk 1 year, 8 months ago

As I've commented on these blogs previously, Coach is revered and admired down here in Oklahoma. And Oklahomans, and I'm talking OU fans as well as OSU ones, are very proud of the success of one of their own. If he coached football, it might be harder for them to stomach, but for basketball, they are very happy for him. At Eddie Sutton's wife's funeral in Tulsa last Friday with a "whose who" in attendance, the Tulsa World newspaper told the story with a picture of Coach Self talking with an old Oklahoma friend at the services. I always say we need OSU's Travis Ford to be successful because T-Boone will make his obligatory attempt at getting ole Bill back to Pokeville with a truck load of money as leverage. I don't think it will work, but it sure makes for nervous days for the Jayhawk Nation. By the way, the "word on the street" down here is Ford better make the NCAA tournament, or at least show significant improvement, or this will be his last year.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't worry about Bill going to OSU. The force that would bring him there [Pickens], is the same reason Bill won't go [Pickens calls the shots in Stillwater...HCBS prefers to call his own shots!!]

PS Have any of you ever been to Stillwater? Just the town's name tells the story.....a pond covered with scum. [Still, it looks like Beverly Hills compared to Waco!! :) ]

Phoghorn 1 year, 8 months ago

Hopefully Coach Ford will bring OSU back to their glory days. If not, I suspect that Coach Self and the OSU officials have another guy in mind. He already coaches at a nearby university. To find his name, just fill in the missing blanks:

Coach D_nn_ M_nn_ng

demomoke 1 year, 8 months ago

First of all, congrats to HCBS.

But really, LJW?

"A native of Edmond, Okla., Self was selected as the Oklahoma High School Basketball Player of the Year in 1981 while at Edmond Memorial High School. Born in Okmulgee, Okla., Self went on to play at Oklahoma State under coach Paul Hansen from 1982-85. While at OSU, he was a four-year letterwinner and was an All-Big Eight freshman selection."

So he's a native of Edmond, but he was born in Okmulgee? Journalism fail.

Jesse Newell 1 year, 8 months ago

He was born in Okmulgee and raised in Edmond. In that case, he identifies Edmond as his hometown even though he wasn't born there.

demomoke 1 year, 8 months ago

I get that, but what is the definition of "native," Jesse?

I was born in Houston, Texas, which makes me a native of that place.

I was brought up in Coffeyville, Kansas, and that is my hometown. I am not a Coffeyville native, however.

Jesse Newell 1 year, 8 months ago

I've consulted the AP Stylebook, and you are correct. I thought that "native" and "raised in" could be synonymous — "one born or reared in a particular place" is even part of the Merriam-Webster definition — but the Stylebook has native as referring to someone being born in one place. I've changed the wording above.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

In that case, scrap the AP Stylebook. By their definition I'm a native of Missouri, and that is something I most definitely am not!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm also with M-W, AP be dam-ned!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 8 months ago

Oh, and congratulations HCBS, get used to these kinds of honors.