Monday, January 14, 2013

How Keegan voted: Jan. 14 AP college basketball ballot

The following is Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan's Jan. 14 ballot for the Associated Press men's basketball poll. (Kansas moved to No. 4 in both the AP and coaches polls this week.)

1. Duke
  20. Cincinnati
  21. Illinois
  22. New Mexico
  23. Marquette
  24. Pittsburgh
  25. Connecticut

Comments

dylans 1 year, 8 months ago

Tom, I haven't watched Indiana play lately. Why do you have them stagnant in the poll? thanks

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

I hate when Duke loses and people don't think they should drop at all.

Right now, Duke isn't even in the lead in their conference. Tom don't fall into this East coast bias.

Matt Bowers 1 year, 8 months ago

I hate Duke as well but they still have my support in the rankings. Duke barely lost against a very talented NC State squad, at State, with one key player out the entire game and another for a stretch in the second.

Many people are going to think that I am crazy, but I think Syracuse should be ranked ahead of KU, as well as Michigan. On top of that I think that Louisville is the number one team in the country now as well. Here are my top five:

1. Louisville
  2. Michigan
  3. Duke
  4. Syracuse
  5. Kansas

I think that is the correct pecking order for the week. I am no expert, it is just an opinion.

Rock Chalk

Robin Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

If we're going to be apologists for losses...

why not start with KU losing to Michigan State, a better team than NCST, and KU barely lost without their starting power forward and essential glue/hustle man. Additionally this took place early in the season.

Cuse did not do anything worthy of leapfrogging Kansas.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Your argument would have more weight if Duke played below average because of these two players; it did not.

Curry averages 30.2 minutes and 16.4 points per game; in this game he played 32 minutes and score 22 points, both figure above his season averages. As far as the team, Duke scored 76 points which is only 3 below their season average, which is padded by beating smaller schools; I am going to guess that Duke will not average 79 point in conference play.

In short, Duke pretty much played top its usual level, UNC State played above its level...or maybe just played to it pre-season expectations, and won the game. No need to make excuses for Duke. all teams lose players for entire of partial games; good teams overcome.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

I didn't say that I thought KU should be #1, I said Duke should not be (neither should Michigan).

I always have valued early losses less than current losses, in addition, KU has a 12 game winning streak (longest in the nation).

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Making excuses for having a guy out doesn't work for me. I mean, we didn't have Mclemore all of last season because the NCAA didn't think he took the right classes in high school. We still made it to the National Championship game though.

Robin Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

So, Duke loses and they go nowhere. Michigan loses to a better team and they drop a few spots, but they still stay ahead of an Indiana team who beat a top 10 team this week... these rankings are supposed to reflect what happens in the preceding week.

Resume consideration is for tournament seeding... unless you're trying to revolutionize the way mid-season rankings traditionally work.

I thought Duke should drop to 4th behind Kansas, but even still the AP collectively got it more right with Louisville, Indiana, Duke, Kansas, Michigan. Three of these teams took care of business since the last ranking; two of them lost. Duke, as great as they are, has already received credit for their quality wins throughout the season, but then you're not giving enough credit to the three who won their games. There's a lack of consistency in your application of credit-giving.

Rick Arnoldy 1 year, 8 months ago

"these rankings are supposed to reflect what happens in the preceding week." Say what? Even the best team can have an off night. They are still the best team.

Robin Smith 1 year, 8 months ago

Are you new to following rankings? What I said is based on the way this has worked for decades

Duke has received credit for 10 weeks for winning. In week 11 they lost. In other weeks teams that lost were dropped in rankings.

"Even the best team can have an off night. They are still the best team." -- this could be applied to any of the one loss teams.

Duke has the best resume because they've performed while having a schedule (made years in advance) that has good teams on it. KU has won their games for 2 months straight now. The same can't be said for Duke.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

1. Duke
  2. Indiana
  3. KU
  4. Louisville
  5. Michigan

justanotherfan 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't get how Keegan punishes Michigan for losing on the road to a top 10 team, but doesn't punish Duke for losing on the road to a ranked team. Even more curious, Michigan owns a win against NC State.

I'm no expert on rankings. I couldn't tell you how the entire top 25 should shake out. But I do know that when a team ranked #1 loses, they typically fall out of the #1 spot unless the week is so wild that several other top teams also lose. To drop Michigan without also dropping Duke doesn't make any sense.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

Duke #1? They were kicked in the gut by North Carolina State.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

Jack Harry is at it again. I caught part of his rant last night when he kept asking Frank Boal if he wanted to change predicting that KU would be a 1 seed. He also kept mentioning that KU was playing poorly and "barely" winning at Texas Tech. I agree that KU did not play great at Tech., but in what planet beating a conference team on the road by 14 points (could have been more) is considered "barely" winning?

Also, in his weekly rant (January 9th) he indicated that the SEC is a much better conference than the Big 12.

"The closer I examine the basketball landscape of these two conferences, the SEC again is clearly the dominate conference. It's not even close."

What "dominate conference" is escapes me; maybe he meant to write "dominated.". Of course, a couple of days later, MU makes a fool of him...again.

Here is the link:

The SEC has 2 teams in the top 15, and if Kentucky can get it together, maybe one more. The big 12 has 2 team in the top 25 and 3 legitimate top 25 teams, ISU, OSU and Baylor.

...only in planet Jack smacked...

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

Kentucky will be lucky to get into the tournament this year.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

Actually the correct term would be "dominant" conference not dominate conference :)

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 8 months ago

I know what it should have been; I was being facetious...and dominated is actually closer to reality.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

I remember watching Jack back in the 80s when he was good and not at the brink of dementia...my bad!

ljmhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Kstate beat Florida and Baylor beat Kentucky....which conference is better again?

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Still had Duke at number 1? Lots of presuming.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

Heading down to Austin this weekend for the game?