Monday, January 14, 2013

Bill Self: Ben McLemore has sprained ankle, should only miss a few days

Fans watch as Kansas guard Ben McLemore is helped into the lockerroom late in the second half on Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas freshman guard Ben McLemore has a Grade One sprained right ankle and should only miss a few days, KU coach Bill Self said following the Jayhawks' 61-44 victory against Baylor on Monday night.

"I think it scared him as much as anything else," Self said. "He said he heard a pop, but (KU athletic trainer) Bill (Cowgill) said he checked it out, and he probably just has a sprained ankle and with a few days off, he should be OK."

McLemore banged the floor with his hand a few times while rolling in pain at the 2:44 mark of the second half. He walked gingerly under his own power to the locker room.

"I think he's fine ... he's not fine, but he twisted his ankle," Self said. "If we were going to practice tomorrow, I wouldn't let him practice. But I don't know how severe it is. It's probably something that, depending on swelling or whatnot ... I can't make a prediction on how many days he's going to be out, but we're certainly hopeful that it's not more than two or three (days)."

Comments

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 3 months ago

No offense, but I don't want to hear any talk of "we're playing Texas next"... EVERY Big 12 opponent, especially on the road, is a worthy adversary and merits our undivided attention! Exhibit A: Texas Tech just a few days ago! Texas always plays us tough particularly in Austin (City Limits). Remember last year when we controlled most of the game and they made a furious rally and took the lead LATE before we hit a couple of clutch shots. We aren't good enough to sleep on anyone, even the Burnt Orange :) RCJGKU!

Bob Thompson 1 year, 3 months ago

On the positive side, we are playing Texas next, and Texas has not been playing well at all. This should give Ellis some important playing time, and may be what it takes for him to take the next step. It is nice coming in and helping the team, but when the team really needs you, it should be a confidence booster for him.

jaybate 1 year, 3 months ago

"I think he's fine ... he's not fine,"

This betrays some apprehension.

Admitting no idea how bad it is, but hoping 2-3 missed days means they want opponents preparing as if he will be ready.

No talk of an XRay means they are already in concealment mode.

Any one expressing that much pain on the floor either has a bad injury, or a low pain threshold.

Ben, welcome to playing through injuries in D1.

Joe Baker 1 year, 3 months ago

BMac is a competitor and resilient.

Jason Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I've sprained my ankle and heard it pop before too. Worse pain than breaking my arm or being punched in the face. I've rolled my ankle plenty of times but never had it hurt like that

Was swollen up and hard to walk on for a few days but that was it.

Eric Mitchell 1 year, 3 months ago

Sigh of relief. Hopefully he can make a complete recovery, because I remember Selby was never the same player for KU after his foot injury.

duanep5ku 1 year, 3 months ago

Talk about taking the wind out of,what should be a great night. Ben take care and were all praying for you to be okay.

Joel Thomas 1 year, 3 months ago

Luckily UT is up next, though every game is relatively big. Interesting to note, the crowd was noticeably down after he left. Even the chant seemed a little melancholy.

kugrampy 1 year, 3 months ago

Whew, saying my prayers tonight!