Sunday, January 13, 2013

KU men wary of Baylor PG Pierre Jackson

Baylor’s Pierre Jackson, front, is fouled by Texas Tech’s Daylen Robinson during their game Tuesday in Lubbock, Texas. Jackson, who leads the Big 12 in scoring, and the Bears will meet KU at 8 tonight in a Big Monday showdown in Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Associated Press

Pierre Jackson, the starting point guard on Baylor’s 2012 NCAA Tournament Elite Eight team, certainly has lived up to expectations after arriving in Waco, Texas, as national junior college player of the year.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound Las Vegas native, who led College of Southern Idaho to a national title his sophomore year, earned second-team All-Big 12 and honorable mention All-America acclaim last season. He was voted Big 12 preseason player of the year prior to the start of this, his senior campaign.

“I would have voted for him for preseason player of the year. He’s leading the league in scoring by a large margin. He’s first or second in assists,” KU coach Bill Self said of Jackson, who has averaged a Big 12-leading 19.2 points and 6.3 assists per contest. KU’s Ben McLemore is second in the league in scoring (16.4), while Jackson is in a dead heat with Texas’ Javan Felix in assists (6.27 for Felix to 6.31 for Jackson).

“He’s fast, and he’s got bounce, but he’s not their only weapon,” Self added in previewing a Baylor team that takes an 11-4 record and 3-0 league mark into today’s 8 p.m. Big Monday showdown at KU (14-1, 2-0).

Baylor also has double-digit scorers in 7-foot-1 freshman Isaiah Austin (14.6 ppg, 8.4 rpg) and 6-9 junior Cory Jefferson (14.3 ppg, 8.4 rpg), as well as long-range bomber Brady Heslip (30 of 84 threes for 35 percent).

Jackson, however, is the player who runs the show.

“I think when Baylor is playing its best, Pierre probably controls the game. He doesn’t have to score to play well, but usually when they do play well, he scores,” Self said.

KU point guard Elijah Johnson and Jackson both call Las Vegas home.

“Same city but different sides of town,” said Johnson, who attended Cheyenne High; Jackson attended Desert Pines. “We’re cool. That’s my boy. We’re cool people.

“I always said he was good. People kind of underestimated him,” noted Johnson, who averages 9.8 points and 5.5 assists for the Jayhawks. “It didn’t surprise me where he got to, at all.”

Asked about today’s match-up against Jackson, Johnson said: “It’s nothing but a good thing for the city (of Vegas).”

Jackson is 1-2 versus KU. The Bears fell to KU, 92-74, in Allen Fieldhouse and 68-54 in Ferrell Center a year ago before prevailing, 82-71, in the Big 12 tournament semifinals in Sprint Center.

“We know what kind of environment we’re going into, and I think we’ll be ready for it. I remember how loud it was,” Jackson said of last year’s game in which KU put an end to Baylor’s 17-0 run to start the season.

“They have a great fan base, and if you let them get any momentum at all, the crowd will let you know about it. We have a little saying that we say, ‘It’s just us.’ There will be really no fans up there for us. We’ll be ready, though,” Jackson added.

BU coach Scott Drew vividly recalls last year’s game in Lawrence.

“We were 17-0, and there was a lot of hype going into the game. I think it will help the guys that were there last year. Unfortunately, we led to it getting loud by missing easy buckets and turning the ball over. So we have to do our job to keep it quiet,” Drew said.

The victory in the Big 12 tournament might provide the Bears some confidence heading into tonight’s game. KU is 10-2 versus the Bears during the Self era.

“I think coach (Drew, 2-10 vs. KU) will show what we did against them last year and try to use that against them this time,” said Jackson, who had 11 points and 11 assists in the game in Allen, 16 points and four assists in Waco and 13 points and seven assists in Sprint Center.

Drew is confident in his team in large part because of floor leader Jackson.

“Pierre can score in bunches, and when you get somebody who can score in bunches, you’re always a few seconds from a great run. That’s what you love about Pierre because in a minute he can do three or four spectacular things,” Drew said of Jackson, who has scored in double figures in 23 straight games, averaging 18.6 points and 6.3 assists per game during the streak. He has made a three-pointer in 27 consecutive games, and with one vs. KU, he would tie the third-longest streak in program history.

BU’s coach is well aware the Jayhawks have a lot of players to counter the Baylor attack.

“It’s rare to have so much experience in college basketball these days,” Drew said of KU’s senior-laden starting lineup.

KU senior Jeff Withey realizes it’ll take another great effort to stop the Bears, picked to finish second to KU in the preseason Big 12 coaches poll.

“They are a great team. They have been the last few years. It’s going to be a fun game. It’s Big Monday,” Withey said.

He was asked if the game could be billed as a Withey-Jackson showcase since the two are battling for Big 12 Player of the Year honors.

“Uh, no,” Withey said. “He doesn’t play my position, so I can’t guard him. He can’t guard me. It’s all about our team. As long as we keep winning, I’m happy. He’s a great player. He’s so fast. He’s really a good point guard, but we have a really good point guard, too. I think Elijah will play great on Monday. He has a big challenge. He’s going to be able to show his talent off and make it be known he’s a real good point guard, too.”

Huge game: Self on the significance of the game, considering BU is 3-0 and KU 2-0 in the league: “It’s a big game. Anytime you play at home, you need to try to hold serve. This is a big game, without question. It’s one our guys will look forward to playing. Baylor has had great success the past few years, and we’ve had some great games against them. This is a big game.”

Drew returns: Drew returned to the bench for Saturday’s victory over TCU. He had served a two-game suspension to open league play as part of self-imposed sanctions for NCAA rules violations announced last April. Drew was cited for rules violations involving excessive phone calls to prospects. Assistant Jerome Tang directed the Bears to victories over Texas and Texas Tech.

Self on BU’s Austin: “He is a 4-man (with) almost 3-man skills. He can shoot the ball (52 percent). He’s tall. He can shoot, block shots (15), post. He is a force. From the outside looking in, he’s getting more confident as the season goes on.”

Jefferson quite the dunker: Self was asked if BU’s Jefferson is underrated: “Yes. He’s shooting 70 percent from the field (actually 63 percent). He dunks everything. He is Blake Griffin of the Big 12. He does kind of replace Quincy Acy in that regard dunking everything. He’s good player.”

Cory Jefferson on being a big factor this season after being a role player in the past: “It’s a lot of fun. I’ve been waiting all that time, sitting out there watching everybody who was playing. Now I’m out there on the court. We’ll try to get a win up there,” he added. “We know it will be tough, but we’ll have a game plan and stick to it. I know it’s a tough place. They have one of the best centers in the Big 12, so I think it will be a good match-up”

Stats, facts: KU leads the all-time series, 18-3. BU is 0-9 in Allen . ... The closest game between the teams in 10 meetings in Lawrence was BU’s 81-75 loss to KU on Jan. 20, 2010. Baylor lost by at least 10 points in every other road game against Kansas. ... Baylor has played nine times at Allen Fieldhouse (0-9), and the Bears have lost by an average of 17.0 points in those games. ... Baylor held TCU to 40 points on Saturday, the fewest the Bears have allowed in a Big 12 game. ... Baylor is 18-24 in Big 12 road games over the last six seasons after going 8-80 in road games over the league’s first 11 years. ... Through 15 games, Baylor is averaging 37.7 points in the paint per game and holding opponents to 28.3 PIP. Baylor’s leaders are Jefferson (10.0 PIP/game), Austin (9.1 PIP/game) and Jackson (5.7 PIP/game). ... Heslip has made a three in 48 of 52 games in his career. He has 34 games with two-plus threes and 22 with three-plus threes.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Pierre Jackson 5-10

Elijah Johnson 6-4

Where else on the floor does KU hold a 6 inch height advantage on offense?

If Withey held 6" advantage would Self have them throw it into the post most of the time?

If Self refuses to post EJ, whenever Faylor goes m2m, I will scream.

I am preparing to scream.

If Self doesn't run a 2-3 zone part of the time and use 3 bigs to shut off Faylor's inside game, I will scream.

I am preparing to scream.

If Self doesn't use Trav to bring the ball up the floor, I will scream.

I am preparing to scream.

Etc.

But Self will find a way within the system to attack, while playing anyway Faylor wants, and then my screams will be wasted and KU will win.

:-)

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Will Tharpe get more minutes, being the 5'11" guy (might be the only time Tharpe has a height advantage)?

I also always like to see how tall guys do against other Tall guys. Historically, Withey has done well against other 7 footers. A lot of freshman have never played against another one until college.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I would prepare to scream .. posting EJ, a 2-3 zone, and Travis at the point could happen .. in some parallel, yet incongruent, universe. But not here.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

:-)

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

On offense, I agree that Naadir could do quite well against Pierre, both shooting over him, and driving him. But its also true Pierre will be very, very difficult for Naadir to guard. And Faylor's size inside may preclude Naadir from any finishes once he gets to paint.

Despite all that, if Faylor plays a lot of zone, Naadir could see serious minutes if he has a hot hand.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Sometimes a heckler, Sometimes a screamer, But Always a Jayhawk National Champ Dreamer!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Good to hear from you, coach.

This game ought to be big enough we don't have to worry about finding arcane feeds. :-)

I am pumped about this game.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Does Baylor actually go m2m very often? Seems like they spend most of their time in a zone. As far as KU going to a 2-3 I disagree, BU has multiple slashers and likes to shoot jumpers. I'd rather dare them to post up against Withey. Only reason I'd want to see KU go 2-3 is to keep W near the hoop and not let Austin pull him away.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

phogphan, not often, but we usually break them out of it, and sometimes Scott tries to surprise Self with coming out of it for an extended period.

But on the whole your point is well taken.

Bob Thompson 1 year, 9 months ago

I have absolutely no respect for their coach. After that stunt that Drew did pulling his team off the court when KU was introducing their players. Then later recanting saying he didn't mean any disrespect..... he will always be on my sh?? list, and I can only hope that we beat them and beat them by a lot.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

He didn't pull the team off while we were introducing our players. He pulled the team off during our lengthy and extremely loud intro video. I don't understand why people make a big deal out of that. Instead of trying to scream at a likely-distracted team right before one of the biggest games of the season, he took them to a spot just off the floor where he could talk to them and keep them focused. When he realized some people didn't like it he chose not to do it again. It's a non-story.

I grew up in Indiana and have followed the Drew family for decades. What Drew has done at Baylor is nothing short of miraculous. He took over a team that had never been good, was in a tough conference, and was on probation. The only good players on the roster transferred to other schools. He didn't have a full slate of scholarships or even a nonconference season (!) his first year. That was only 7 years ago.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Many people would conclude, therefore, somehow he is cheating and getting away with it. The phone call thing may be only the tip of the iceberg!!

Frankly 2-10 [1-10 in league play] against Bill Self tells me the whole story.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Res ipsa loquitor, eh? Since they were so bad and now they are so good, it could not have happened without cheating? That may work for some people but I like to see evidence before I pass judgment. The NCAA took their time and conducted a full investigation into the Baylor program. I included a link down the page. They found nothing different than what happens at every major program. Assistants made some extra phone calls and Drew paid some guys a couple of hundred bucks to work at his camp but didn't give them the kind of duties the NCAA beaurocrats had already deemed acceptable for pay. Since then the phone call rules have been changed because everybody was breaking them. Do you really think if the NCAA conducted a full investigation into KU they wouldn't find anything remotely wrong? Self basically invented the scheme of paying high profile AAU coaches to "speak" at his camp.

Obviously, he isn't as good a coach as Self. Self is easily a top-5 coach in the nation and I think he is the best. So getting outcoached and beaten by Bill Self is expected! To me, that stat only tells me that Drew, coaching a perennial doormat on probation at the beginning of his career, has not been able to beat one of the best coaches around who is coaching a perennial powerhouse in the prime of his career. I don't think Drew will ever be as good a coach as Self, but to act like that is a foregone conclusion right now is crazy. In the past 7 years, Scott Drew has performed one of the greatest program-building jobs in the history of college basketball. I don't understand why the initial response is to criticize that instead of praise it. If it eventually comes out that Drew has really been cheating all along, then he and Baylor will pay the price. But until then, they are (relatively) innocent until proven guilty.

Bob Thompson 1 year, 9 months ago

So, Drew is the only coach to pull its team from the court. And how did that work for him.... he lost anyway. So you would have to assume then that he is the only classless coach in the big 12, since all the other coaches in the big 12 have respect for the other team, and for the tradition of basketball... just saying that coach Self would never stoop to doing that.

John Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

Taking his team away from a situation designed for intimidation may disappoint home fans, but is no reason for the kind of hatred exhibited here by purveyors of the 'KU does no wrong' mantra. That's almost as foolish as using words like Never or Always in a rational discussion.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

Bay... Good evaluation of that night of his supposed infraction and of the influence he's had at Baylor.

If people aren't impressed, look at SMU football. A death penalty back in the 80's and SMU football has never rebounded. Some of you say so what, who's SMU? They were very good at football back the '70's and '80's.

Baylor had one of the worst scandals ever in sports, a murder! He's done an amazing job bringing some quality players to a place in the heart of football country.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Whatever Oakville said that got pulled is good enough for me.

So....

"This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement."

Whatever it was. :-)

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

I've watched almost all of Baylor's games. The scouting report is pretty simple. Keep the ball out of or just control Jackson, don't let Heslip shoot and don't give Austin the trailor 3. He likes shooting that 3 the way Marcus and markieff used too. In all the games they have lost Jackson was MIA. Our guys will be pumped though.

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

Self needs to start letting Ellis play through some of his mistakes because we need the offense from that position that ony he can offer. I love Young's energy, but Perry has offensive skills that Kevin doesn't have.

I see Self treating Perry a bit like he treated Tharp last year. He's on a very short leash. This year he's had no choice but let Tharp play his way through mistakes and he has become a productive guy for us.

We're going to need Perry's offense as the season goes on, so I hope Coach can ease off him a bit and let him gain some confidence.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 9 months ago

Ellis' defense has been the liability. Until he stops giving up easy baskets he will be pulled constantly. That was the same issue with Tharpe last year and reason he is playing more - his defense has improve greatly this year as compared to last season. Extended minutes comes once players first do the basics and that is playing defense.

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with the defensive criticism, but still feel we need his offense. I also feel the only way he's going to get better is if he plays more.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Ellis' apparent lack of spring increasingly worries me. I figured him for a guy with hops, but he's not showing springs at all lately. Maybe injured? Maybe trying to master horizontal? Whatever, he's not getting up in situations where it would seem he ought to be able to.

But Perry will find some way to break through. I sense he is very close.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Add 1/3 cup playing time 3 to 4 weekly dashes and a shake of Hudy Just a pinch of challenging spring semester classwork By midMarch, LOOK OUT!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

God, I hope you are right, coach.

You know these guys so much better than me.

But what's going on with Perry.

He's been barely clearing the floor the last couple games.

He is a Kansan and so he is my blood brother.

I want more than anything for Perry to set the world on fire.

But I just am not seeing him separate from the wood much.

And its so strange, because he seems such an exceptional athlete.

I couldn't help but mention the hop issue.

I could be all wrong and will of course defer to you on this as always.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought it was just me. With all the 'bunnies' Perry has missed you would think he would be trying to slam them in rather than rattle them off the rim. However he continues to shoot 2-3 footers below the rim, missing a high percentage of them. At least twice Saturday he had the opportunity to finish above the rim if he had taken time to set himself and went up strong. He appears to fear contact, or being blocked, or perhaps is scared of heights? Ok, the last is a joke, I hope but I just do not understand his lack of aggression.

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe a lot of his missing bunnies is just a lack of confidence. He was knocking down everything early in the year. Now he's playing like a guy afraid to make a mistake.

I don't think vertical leaping is a big problem for him, but I have noticed that he seems to like to let the rim screen for him when he shoots. He loves the up and under shot. I saw him once in high school, and he loved that shot at that level as well. It's a nice move, but it has become way too much of a tendency for him. Self will eventually get him dunking regularly. He always does.

Ted Hume 1 year, 9 months ago

i agree. i think that increasing his vertical will be a major goal of his off-season training regimen with the strength team. as you've has said before, I believe, he was able to get by on such [relatively] overwhelming talent and an ability to score in the HS game that it may have disguised a somewhat lack of exceptional athleticism in Perry. Not so different from McMorris, I suppose; he never had exceptional explosiveness or vertical ability but still managed to have a lottery-pick offensive game after a couple of years in the Hudy/Self system.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

BU can be very dangerous. Our guards are going to have to be on Jackson like stink on a monkey. Also, Jeff is going to be tested in the paint by Austin. The main thing is to take care of the ball, think, don't get rattled and defensively take control of the game..

leonard 1 year, 9 months ago

Typical Drew/Baylor squad...a glossy but thin veneer.

Losses at home to Colorado, Charleston and Northwestern...and Saturday's lackluster win over TCU in Waco.

Per usual, their roster looks great on paper...not so much between the lines.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for that update, leonard. I didn't do my homework on this game either, so I didn't know about those chinks in Faylor's armor. I read they had a couple footers and a strong point guard, and I inferred they could counter our usual strength and high percentage inside game, and rely on a strong, healthy and explosive point guard to put us in a bad way.

But with those kinds of losses, they've obviously got a lot of developing to do.

You made my day. I've been wringing the worry cloth and pumping antacids. I think I can stop now.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

What you might have said is that per usual they are an incredibly inexperienced team and will surely get better as the season goes on. They only have two players who were with the program two seasons ago. They lost those three home games in Nov./Dec. by a combined 10 points. The 7'1" Austin was a top-5 national recruit and is starting to figure it out. I guess I am Drew's principal (or only) apologist but I find the vitriol against him and his Baylor teams to be way over the top.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

That response was meant for leonard. Sorry.

Not to worry, bay.

I think part of the problem with Baylor is Scott refusing to be a mensch with Self in the hand shake line for so many games, on the one hand, and on the other, well, Ken Starr being President of Baylor kind of warps the reality around Waco a bit. :-)

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Last year K. Young was the zone killer. We'll need his bunnies in the paint.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Good point. And Kevin has been playing sharply better than last season. We just have to hope he is not due for an off game. Gulp.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Self mentioned after the Tech game that neither McLemore nor Releford drove the ball.

For all this talk about point guard play, personally, I think our wings getting into the paint and utilizing their driving abilities is even more crucial to propelling this offense.

Releford and McLemore are the keys to our offense. They both are gifted slashers. Different styles, but both gifted. The offense has its greatest potential when it flows from them. Both of them have many opportunities to get the ball to the basket, but they decline, and pass the ball around the perimeter. I would add that EJ is pretty darn good step in shooter from three, and either of these guys kicking to him is a good thing, too.

Coach Self's system, I think, in part a cause. You hear him over and over .. don't let the ball stick. Sometimes, the offensive player needs a moment to assess his options. I see both of these guys passing the ball many times almost immediatlely after they get it (in the normal offensive flow). The idea is to get the ball reversed, but you are reversing it from a potential scoring opportunity many times. Although I tend to watch Releford's opportunities slip by more than McLemore, both decline opportunities to drive repeatedly.

Both have to drive the basket more to maximize our offensive potential. It starts with Releford. All it takes is to do it. To look for it. To make it happen.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

4th game, 9 days. Hasn't yet happened...or schemed. Stage now set.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

One pattern is emerging this season, HEM.

When ever Self makes a point about KU needing to get into the paint more, the next game they play more slide off the spots and pitch forward. :-)

And whenever Self says they need to run more plays for Ben, then they don't.

My prediction for this game is more pitch forward and more plays for Ben, since Self is mentioning neither before the Faylor game.

He's a wily devil. :-)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

jb: That may end up being the case.

From a big picture perspective, though .. what makes this team better offensively .. Releford and McLemore need to slash. Just my opinion.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Good point by Jaybate.

I was actually happy to see BMac put it on the floor a couple times against TTech, so while I agree he could drive more, I think he's taken a positive step in that direction lately rather than just pass or pull a quick trigger every time. I mean I love the quick trigger, just nice to see him switch it up and get to the line or dunk with extreme prejudice.

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree, especially in regard to Ben. I'd like to see him slash more. He has the ability but seems hesitant. He has a great little pull up jumper from 10 to 17 feet. I would really love to see him use that more. Not a lot of guys are good at that these days.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice story, thanks for the link.

Favorite quote "You want stars? No one in college basketball changes shots, and game plans, the way center Jeff Withey, a 7-footer with the wingspan of a pterodactyl, does in the paint."

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

My favorite: "You really want a piece of that? Really?"

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks, lumpy. This is the most powerful "outsider" Jayhawk article I have read this season.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"Some Conditional Things You Can Expect After the Game"

~If Faylor loses, Drew will hurry past Self in the handshake line.

~If Faylor loses, Drew will make excuses.

~If Faylor wins, Drew will want to linger in the handshake line with Self.

~If Faylor wins, Drew will not compliment KU.

~Whether Faylor wins, or loses, Drew may run off the court and make inappropriate recruiting calls, because getting away with a two game coaching suspension is a small price to pay for getting a recruit for 30+ games, and one, two, three, or four seasons.

~If the game comes down to coaching, Drew will lose.

~If Scottie pees in his pants during the game, his expression will look the same as it does when he does not pee in his pants.

~If the game gets close, Scott will probably be taking his cues for moves via texts from his father, Homer.

~If the Presbytery were on its constitutional game (note: the USA Constitution was based on the Northwest Ordinance, which was in turn based in part on the Presbyterian constitution, or so a Presbyterian once told me), they would perhaps have Scott Drew stand up in front of the deacons and say something like, "Much of my success, so far, has been a product of taking unfair advantage of recruiting rules, and because you have insisted that I recruit fairly now, I want you to understand that I may have even more problems beating KU." :-)

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"Deacons, why is it that you persist in harassing me and my staff and my players, calling to account, almost every season, some featherweight cross or other regarding improprieties in my program? I am far slicker than my predecessor; as slick almost as Slick Willie and the Bombers of Baghdad and Cal and Kelvin, Billy and Bruce and the slickest of the slick. I live in a war zone, defending the name of my great and noble institution from the likes of the Mighty Jayhawk! Please O Please, back off and leave me be!"

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

The NCAA conducted a massive, multi-year investigation into the Baylor program and found that assistants made too many phone calls and texts, mostly in the 2007-2008 season. That's something that has been found in just about every NCAA investigation in the past decade. In fact, the NCAA just changed those rules because it realized that they were hopelessly outdated. The academic scandal at North Carolina is far worse, but I don't hear anyone but Duke and NC State fans calling them out like everyone wants to call out Drew.

Here is a link to an article about Baylor's violations/sanctions: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7791434/baylor-bears-teams-facing-possible-ncaa-sanctions

Here is a link to a story about the UNC scandal: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11064527/

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

You truly are the one defender for Scott Drew. You must be his agent. (That's a joke.) I don't care about his phone calls. All I care about in his recruiting is how he bad-mouths all the other Big12 programs (and maybe others) to get his players. Supposedly he is hated by every other Big12 coach because of it.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

"The academic scandal at North Carolina is far worse, but I don't hear anyone but Duke and NC State fans calling them out like everyone wants to call out Drew."

Ok, maybe so. But we sill like Roy. And NC isn't in our conference.

Second, Baylor did have a scandal where someone got killed once, or something like that. Like the mother of all scandals. So the microscope kind of tilts that way a bit, at least for a little while longer.

Third, they have bad uniforms.

Fourth, their coach isn't really that good.

Finally, we just all kind of think something doesn't smell right in Waco. And that doesn't have anything to do with the meat packing plants. Just kinda some speculation is all.

John Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

Some of your points seem debatable:

• Good ol' Roy slides down the $#i† list a little farther with each B12 title.

• Never could see the connection between homicidal actions (or tattoo worship) and athletics, per se.

• Ebony and chartreuse maybe aren't everyone's favorite colors, but Nike seems to love them.

• Good coach? Relative to what? From oblivion to regularly ranked isn't too shabby.

• Refineries and hog lots do contribute to aromatic cachet, just not positively.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

The thing I loved about this article in its relation to Scott Drew was reminding me how he'd been suspended in their tougher Big12 games so far, which is probably why they are undefeated in conference. I prefer to have him coaching in the games against KU, makes HCBS's job easier.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

Since his daddy coaches at Valparaiso I assume he's Lutheran, although Baylor is solidly, and recently taking it seriously, Baptist. So the Presbyterian angle is not valid.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

You made my day, wissox.

I was feeling real guilt that they were Presbys. :-)

HawkKlaw 1 year, 9 months ago

For KU, this game is going to come down to passing and protecting the ball. Passing is probably the biggest weakness of this KU team. Elijah, Naadir, Travis and BMac all need to drive the paint and make good passes out to open perimeter players. Elijah and Naadir need to make good entry passes to Withey and Young. And most importantly, we need to protect the ball!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

All I can say is that we won't have "a snowball's chance in hell" if we play like we did the past two games.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually, the Ninth Circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno, it was really quite frigid !!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Ah, Dante foresaw global climate change, eh? :-)

Its warm.

Its hot.

Its warm.

Its hot.

Global carbon tax, whatever it is.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks Check out Jesse's "Have you seen it" for some more links to all things KU!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Just wait till "Semi's" junior year. he will explode onto the basketball scene, similat to TRob!!

wildjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Drew is one heck of a good coach, one of the best in the league. Ku better play better then they have the past two games or it could be a long night for KU.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

No offense, but you are serious in that statement .. the first one?

Tell you what. Watch Syracuse play zone, then watch Baylor play zone, then compare.

jessejayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"I like to keep my posts light'. are you kidding me? You have just put Jaybate to shame.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

PHOF to slayr for fitting this game into an XYZ grid coordinate system.

This really is what its all about and this is always underlying what I am writing about the game; that and strategies that occur in 3-D.

So: we agree on the framework.

And the next thing I write is going to make you agree with me.

EJ's 6 inches on the outside has benefits on the outside, and costs. You are very sensitive to the costs and I would agree with you.

But here is the gold nugget, slayr.

Just as you say, height is worth more on the inside.

And that my basketball beasting buddy is why I advocate posting EJ inside on Pierre, where the inches on the Z-axis are more valuable.

Pierre's lack of height can actually be less of a problem outside because of the X axis action you rightly call attention to.

Post the sucker up.

Foul him up.

Then crush him.

John Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

Bate, you and Slayr have vastly different appreciation of "axis". His have nothing to do with coordinates – really out to be called X-factor, Y-factor, Z-factor . . .

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe, but it has been my life's work to express factors, and vectors, and trend lines, and gravitations, and within rules and incentive systems transposed into 3D.

And the 3D space is only just the beginning of modeling dimensions.

As To crib from Freeman Dyson's book title, universe is infinite in all directions and I would add, so are its dimensions.

Space, Gene Roddenberry, tried to put into a myth that we could all understand, is the final frontier of all understanding.

One more thing.

I have arced for a living before.

And I am something of a pathfinder for other persons.

Many, many persons wind up doing it better than I do.

But I have a peculiar ability to set persons on the path.

I used to do it accidentally.

Now I do it intentionally.

But my talents are limited in many respects and so it does not bother me when I am surpassed.

I just get a huge charge out of arcing here and there and seeing people start arcing after they realize it can be done.

I could have talked about this years ago, but there was never the right circumstance to talk about it meaningfully.

There was for a brief moment here, so I mentioned it, and now it has passed already.

Next.

hawkinator,

NO!!!! That is the one and only slayr.

Slayr is exploding out of his usual position and impacting all over the place with this post.

The old hooper is arcing both sides of his personality together--the player and the analyst.

People don't understand how hard it is for players to come out of the player mind set.

Even when players think they are thinking about the game, what they are really often doing is translating what players think about. This is great and important to all of us who played far less, and at lower levels, or even not at all, but it is not the same as arcing the two sides of your mind.

Being a player is using all of your intelligence to learn how to do things so naturally that you cease to think about much of it. Being a player is trying to get into the moment and the flow and stay in it for as long as you can. And when you slip out of it, you are using your intellect to develop techniques for getting back into the moment and the flow and the rhythm of the game.

As I said, this is all super good to learn for the lesser and nonplayers among us, but it is not really arcing all the way across a mind.

To arc across the mind, a former player over the years has to LEARN how to be JUST one of us watcher/analyst types. He has to let go of the deeply ingrained habit of what being a player is all about, and and access the non player side of himself.

Most players never want to access the non player side of themselves about basketball. Basketball is too fun and too beautiful to play and to remember playing and to view throught the lense of playing for many of us/them to approach it from the non-playing part of the mind.

Former basketball players usually develop their non player mind by jumping into professions and other lines of work.

But there are a small group of them that over time finally come full circle on the game and begin to think about it from the nonplayer part of their mind. Its harder than hell for them to do, because they once spent ten or 20 years learning to access it only through the player pathway.

But what I believe is happening to slayr, whether he believes me or not, is that he has now been away from the game long enough, and been doing other things long enough, and he has just kept nibbling at the game more and more through the non player part of his brain, the SUDDENLY, like lightening, he didn't just see the game from the non player side, or from the player side, but he arced them.

He went both.

Its flipping huge.

Coaches are both.

That's what makes a great coach.

They know the game as a player.

They know the game as a nonplayer.

And the great ones, the innovative ones, the ones that can suddenly turn things around in ways we haven't thought about before, like Self, they arc both sides on a regular basis.

WAY.....TO....GO....SLAYR.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Wooden used to talk about the diagonals.

When Naismith told Allen it wasn't a game that could be coached, Allen said yes it was, that you could teach players about how to run diagonally.

I have always defined the grid coordinate system slightly differently, but at the same time, slayr's definitions shed light of another kind.

This is what arcing is about.

Arcing is what Phil Jackson was always trying to do when he took great, massively talented professional basketball players and then said, "Here, read this book" that was not overtly about hoops. And then this book. And then another one. Jackson was saying that if an athlete wants to go all the way to being as great as he can possibly be, he first has to unshackle the non player part of his mind that he has suppressed in order to develop the player part of his mind to the fullest up to that point.

Jackson was saying you have to go into the non player mind now and awaken it, and get it working, even though it is the scariest thing to do for an athlete. Its scary, because an athlete believes he has attained this awesome level of concentration and perfect focus by putting the nonplayer mind over here in a box.

Jackson was saying you have to shackle the nonplayer part to reach a certain level, but then you have to unshackle it with stimulating it into thinking, not to sit around and think, but rather get it charged up enough to arc across it and really know the game in its manifold dimension as it exists across both sides of the mind.

This happens with great musiscians, artists, scientists, and professionals of all kinds. At some point, if they really want to become all that their mind makes possible, they have to sooner or later unshackle the unused part of the mind, jump start it into function with incidental intellectual activity, and then hang around and wait for the arc that takes them to the next and final level of knowing about anything one does at a high, high level of proficiency.

Russell went to this place and stayed there the longest of any human being in any sport.

Jordan went to this place and stayed there half as long and that is four times as long as most players ever get there.

Magic Johnson went there and would have stayed there maybe as long as Russell did had he not gotten AIDS and had to cut this odyssey short.

Certain great coaches start arcing and almost cannot stop: Allen, Auerbach, Wooden, Smith, Knight, Riley, Jackson, Consonants, and now Self. Ainge went there and seemed to take Rivers there.

But the rest of us can all arc a little, or a lot, too, in our lives.

Go, slayr, go!!

Brian Powell 1 year, 9 months ago

I was just about to post that... EJ's height is not an advantage here (on D,,and maybe not on O either). Jackson is quicker than EJ has been playing (not his quickest).

On D, I'd rather see Tharpe on him. Even Rio.

On O, we could see more turnovers by EJ if he's not careful.. gotta keep his head up when Pierre's around, then he's ok to drive or dish. As much as I'd too like to see him post up, we won't see that from EJ. Not part of his game and not part of Self's either!

**The more intriguing matchups are all inside. Our slashers like Ben and KY and Travis will get theirs, but the rebounding and post play (along with who gets to the FT line) will be the biggest factors of the game (assuming no one lights it up from 3 like crazy).

Sam Constance 1 year, 9 months ago

I love Coach Self, but... isn't Blake Griffin the Big 12's Blake Griffin?

Also, I'm far more worried about what might happen if we get lazy in defending Brady Heslip than I am about Pierre Jackson. If Jackson really starts to make us pay, then slide Releford over onto him and I think we'll be fine.

But if we let Heslip get some of the open shots we allowed to Iowa State, then tonight will be a dogfight. Especially if Heslip gets on a roll.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

...agreed.

Mind the little Australian on the perimeter. Baylor's southern hemisphere version of Jerry Freakin McNamara.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

Is it just me, or did we rebound horribly against Tech?

Not sure if the numbers indicate it, but we definitely looked out of position and had trouble grabbing the ball often.

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

back from the red shirt on his back?