Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ISU coach Hoiberg on McLemore’s 3: ‘I wish it would’ve swished’

Kansas guard Ben McLemore celebrates after drilling a three to start overtime against Iowa State on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Iowa State

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 97-89 overtime victory over Iowa State on Jan. 9, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Ben McLemore, Travis Releford and Jeff Withey

Kansas players Ben McLemore, Travis Releford and Jeff Withey talk after the Jayhawks' 97-89 overtime victory over Iowa State on Jan. 9, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

For all of the things about Wednesday's battle with the Kansas University men's basketball team that Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg was proud of, there was one thing he could not get over: the ending.

After playing tough and with poise, controlling most of the second half and having Kansas down as many as six points in the final minutes, Hoiberg's crew lost, 97-89, in overtime, a session that was made possible because of KU freshman Ben McLemore's banked-in three-pointer with three seconds remaining.

"I wish it would've swished," Hoiberg said of the heroic shot by McLemore, who scored a game- and career-high 33 points in the victory. "I'd feel better about myself right now if that thing didn't bank in."

Asked why, Hoiberg was brutally honest.

"Well, it wouldn't have seemed quite so lucky," he said.

That was the prevailing thought from the ISU locker room as the Cyclones (10-4 overall, 0-1 Big 12) filed out of one of the toughest places to play in the country with the haunting thought of just how close they were to winning.

"It hurts," Hoiberg continued. "It's gonna hurt all night long, driving back to Ames on a bus. And then you let it go. Our guys know we let one slip away. They're very disappointed about that. But, at the same time, if you can come in here and compete with a team that's won eight league championships in a row, you can play with anybody in the country. That's gonna be the mindset going forward."

As for whether a swish actually would have made things better, the ISU locker room was somewhat divided on that issue.

ISU senior Chris Babb (11 points, four rebounds, four assists) addressed the thought with one word and a half smile.

"Nah," he said.

Freshman forward Georges Niang, who scored 13 points in just his second start of the season, sided with Hoiberg.

"I probably would agree with that," Niang said. "The bank is sort of artificial. I don't know if we would've counted that on the playground."

Doesn't matter. It counted at Allen Fieldhouse and, although the two teams played five more minutes after the shot from the left wing went in, McLemore's fifth three-pointer of the night — he finished 6-for-6 — was the dagger.

"I think we just kind of felt it," said Babb, who watched his team give up 11 straight points to start overtime. "We played our hearts out. We played as hard as we could and that last shot, it just kind of hurt us."

With his team leading 79-76 and just 8.4 seconds remaining, Hoiberg said he contemplated fouling so KU (13-1, 1-0) could not get a look at a game-tying shot. But the third-year ISU coach elected to hunker down and play defense because he felt too many things could go wrong if he chose to foul.

"We thought we knew the play they were gonna run," Hoiberg said. "And they did run it. ... It came down to a freak play there at the end. When it left (McLemore's) hand I said, 'We got it.' It looked like it was off to the left. And it banks in."

Although the heart-breaking shot kept replaying in his mind, it did nothing to tarnish Hoiberg's opinion of McLemore.

"He's unbelievable," Hoiberg said. "He's got the potential to be the No. 1 pick in the (June NBA) draft. He's great now, and he's got great upside just because of his athleticism, he's got a great stroke, he's got great elevation on his shot and he seems like a wonderful kid. He's a star."

Comments

kirkhinrichflow 1 year, 3 months ago

Does anyone know the name of the song they played in the pump up video before the over time tip off? They also played the same video before the Temple tip off.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Not sure I understand why we gotta beat up Hoiberg? Class guy. I see him as a worthy competitor (obviously). The BigXII coach I hate is Scot Drouche of Faylor. Ever since the "tunnel hide" in AFH, showing he was a fraidycat of some video...and every interview on camera: jeez he is such a little twat.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 3 months ago

Calipari WAS trying to foul Sherron Collins in 08 at halfcourt. In Self's book "At Home in the Phog", Sherron says he could hear Calipari ordering Derek Rose to foul, but Sherron blew by him and Rose said he was afraid to grab Sherron from behind as to not risk an intentional foul. Glad they didn't foul us! :)

tammyn26 1 year, 3 months ago

ISU had practically a month to prepare for this game - of course they were ready to play. Not surprised this game was close but this was really really close especially at home. Thank goodness we squeaked out a win! RCJH!

GreatJake 1 year, 3 months ago

Anyone know when ESPN will replay the game?

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 3 months ago

As far as the issue of whether or not a team up 3 should foul in the final seconds.......in my opinion, I think no team should ever foul in that situation. Yes, I understand the consequence that if they don't foul, the other team can tie it with a 3, but to me when a coach tells his team to foul in that situation, it sends the message to his team that he doesn't have faith in them that they can properly defend and get a stop at the end. fouling to me in that situation is bush-league and a chicken way out. everyone is afraid of getting tied up, so they foul. i respect Hoiberg for not fouling and having his team hunker down and play D.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 3 months ago

Let's not dilute "Mario's Miracle" by calling this "McLemore's Miracle". Mario's was in the National Championship game and BMac's was in a regular season conference opener. Perspective please! True enough, there was a win streak at stake. But, nevertheless, it was a shot he could probably make more times than not.

If anything, let's call it "Ben's Backboard Buzzer Beater"

David Gisi 1 year, 3 months ago

I didn't take anything bad from Hoiberg's comment. He just said "it wouldn't have seemed to be lucky if it had swished." People perceive a bank shot in that instance as lucky. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. When I go cold shooting against my son, sometimes "going to the bank" from deep helps me get going again. There is just as much skill involved in making an intentional bank, particularly from 3 range, as there is in swishing it. It actually appeared that Ben may have altered that shot to the bank to avoid the shot pressure coming at his right, which would mean it was a fantastic shot. I didn't think Hoiberg was saying it was "lucky", just stating the obvious. People perceive it as lucky.

Billy Smith 1 year, 3 months ago

Hard to say it was "lucky" considering the kid was 6-6 from downtown. Also the fact that The Mayor knew what play we were going to run, the weave, I think Bill needs to come up with at least another end of game desperation play. It is becoming too predictable, this time it worked however. What a shot.

Brak 1 year, 3 months ago

I always liked The Mayor and a competitive ISU is good for the Big12 but quit complaining dude. I'm sorry but a kid that goes 6-6 from behind the arc doesn't get "lucky" and frankly since you knew what we were going to run and didn't double team BMac means you got out coached, plain and simple. I will say though I'm not looking forward to the return trip to Ames, going to be brutal for sure but as long as BMac is healthy the sky is the limit.

None

by Brak

akgjenkintown 1 year, 3 months ago

Two hours later, West Virginia up by 3 against Texas with four seconds to go and huggy bear decides not to foul. OT. The announcers of that game referred to the KU game and indicated West Virginia must foul before the 3 point attempt. From ones living room it appears to be a no brainier. Simply put, coaches don't trust their players to foul at the correct moment. They are concerned about fouling in the act of the 3 point shot or making it so blatant that the officials call an intentional foul (two free throws and the ball). Nevertheless, KU was fortunate to win. The smart move from an armchair is to foul. Lucky Fred was on the sideline.

carolinajay 1 year, 3 months ago

I am always glad to get by ISU with a win of any type. It seems to me that through the years they gave us tough games, especially at Hilton.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 3 months ago

Get over yourself, Fred. You still had chances to win in overtime if the Cy-Clowns hadn't lost their poise. You should be worrying instead about what's going to happen when the NCAA comes calling to ask about your shady ways of bringing punks and thugs from other legitimate universities to a backwater town like Ames, Iowa.

kc_wildfire 1 year, 3 months ago

I think the unofficial stats on a foul or defend end of game situation in college basketball is now 24-2. Meaning, 26 teams have been up by three with less than 10 seconds to go...24 have decided to foul and won, two have elected not to foul and they have lost.

If I were a coach that stat makes it a pretty easy decision for me as to how to play out the final seconds.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 3 months ago

Im confused, bank shots don't count on the playground? Thats like saying using glass on layups shouldn't count because everyone on the playground should be able to dunk.

Jerry Rockhold 1 year, 3 months ago

In 2008 we Had "Mario's Miracle" 3 pt. shot & now in 2013 Ben has blessed us with "McLemore's Miracle." And the beat goes on as KU wins another. (Credit to my 15 yr.old son for the "MM" label.) :)

ljmhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

The backboard is there for a reason...to use it! i know bmac didn't mean to use the glass but it happened.

kuae99 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank goodness for the WatchESPN app and Apple TV. My DVR stopped with 15s left in regulation.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 3 months ago

The first post is right. If our guys give it all they have, "The Phog" will settle in and make the W. I've seen it happen again and again for over 50 years.

JayhawkInTigerCountry 1 year, 3 months ago

I love the energy Young brings, but holy cow, he cannot do anything on offense. His points come from dunks off of good passes. When he was on the floor, it was like trying to play 4 on 5 because the just sagged way down to Jeff with EVERY time. I could barely stand to watch it. He needs to develop a 10 to 12 foot jump shot badly.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 3 months ago

OT: KU 19...ISU 10

The streak: W-100..... L-1

Phil Leister 1 year, 3 months ago

"The more I practice, the luckier I get." Funny how luck tends to find it's way to the most talented players, ain't it?

Chris1955 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm hoping the shot will be known as Ben's Bank Buster. I don't think that the other version could be said on TV.

johnnyphoton 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey, Guvna, the freaking ball went in. Get over it. I'm sure all of your team's shots were pure skill.

Bob Hechlor 1 year, 3 months ago

There is luck in basketball. If one looked at this game objectively, I saw Iowa players faking getting fouled and getting away with it. I saw them officiated into an advantage. We saw players fall on the floor who were barely touched or not touched at all. I saw the ball bounce right into the hands of Iowa players more often than it bounced into the hands of KU players. That is just the way the ball bounces. Overall, both teams played very well. It was a high scoring game. Who had the most luck? Well, it would be hard to say, but I think Iowa had just as much as KU did, if not more. Luck will always be a factor, to some extent, in who wins. Officiating is never perfect.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 3 months ago

These underwear aren't worth cleaning. I think I'll just throw them away.

JHawk74 1 year, 3 months ago

Great shooters get lucky sometimes and everything falls into the basket including shots of the glass beyond the 3 point line. Great win! RCJH KU!

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 3 months ago

By his logic, shouldn't he feel better about himself that it did bank in? That way, the only way he lost is by luck. If it swished, Iowa State would have been beaten more legitimately. Odd quote from a smart coach, but it was probably just a poorly-veiled, convoluted way of saying, "I would have beat you jerks if it weren't for a freakin' lucky shot." Go ahead and say that mayor; you'd be right.

kufaninmo 1 year, 3 months ago

maybe he called "glass" as he let it fly?