Kansas defeats Iowa State, 97-89

• 6 p.m., Jan. 9, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Calling his shot? McLemore’s banked-in 3 saves KU in 97-89 OT win

The fieldhouse watches as Kansas guard Ben McLemore puts up the game-tying three over Iowa State guard Tyrus McGee with three seconds left in regulation on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013. McLemore's three sent the game into overtime where the Jayhawks defeated the Cyclones 97-89.

Ben McLemore’s straight-on, last-second 22-foot shot that banked off the backboard, dropped through the goal, tied Iowa State and caused an Allen Fieldhouse fan eruption of epic proportions Wednesday night might have been a tad bit lucky.

"It was fortunate. He didn’t call, 'glass,' I'm sure," KU coach Bill Self said, grinning, after the Jayhawks rode the momentum of freshman guard McLemore’s clutch three-pointer into overtime — an OT in which the Jayhawks scored the first 11 points in a 97-89 victory over the Cyclones.

Actually, McLemore, who gave KU a quick 82-79 lead nine seconds into the overtime by cashing his sixth three of the night in as many tries, playfully disagrees with his coach.

“I mean when it left my hand, I actually called, 'bank,'" said McLemore, who scored 33 points — two off the freshman record of 35 set by Danny Manning against Oklahoma State in 1985. "The way it left my hand, I knew it was going to hit the backboard. It was a good release. It went in, so I'm glad.

"It was a great screen by Travis (Releford) and pass from Elijah (Johnson). Coming open like that, I just shot it. It felt good coming off my hand, so ...”

So the (13-1, 1-0 Big 12) Jayhawks, who trailed (10-4, 0-1) ISU by four points with :26 left, tied the score with 1.3 ticks left, by running their “chop” play — the one Mario Chalmers converted to send the 2008 NCAA title game into overtime. The chop came on KU’s final possession, a possession that followed two Korie Lucious free throws at :08.4 that gave ISU a 79-76 lead.

McLemore actually had rehearsed the chop play in a three-point loss to Michigan State in the second game of the season.

“I messed it up last time,” McLemore said of a late, possible game-tying three in a three-point loss to the Spartans. “I didn’t read my defender right, and Travis took the shot and missed it (versus Spartans). That’s what I was thinking, about getting it right this time.

“Sometimes you’ve got to get a little lucky. You bank one in every once in a while,” added the St. Louis freshman, who hit the big shot with sisters April and Shariece and cousins Takeya and Travonica in the stands.

The chop play has a lot of options. KU point guard Elijah Johnson at one point thought he might be the one to attempt the game-tying three.

“I knew Ben had the hot hand, and his man fell asleep,” Johnson said. “He deserved that shot and made it.”

KU coach Bill Self was not surprised ISU coach Fred Hoiberg elected to not foul McLemore or another Jayhawk before KU hoisted the final shot of regulation, which dropped with 1.3 ticks left. ISU had no chance on its final possession, Tyrus McGee missing a halfcourt bomb.

“Hindsight is always 20/20,” Self said. “We’re fortunate they didn’t (foul). If I was Fred, I wouldn’t either. I’d say, 'Hey, let's hunker down and guard them.' I don’t think that was a bad play because it’s always easy to second guess.

“It has a lot of options,” Self added of the chop play. “They went under the fade screen. We told our guys if they go under, I want you to stop and change the angle of the screen. Travis did it perfect. Travis got him open. They ran under the fade. We had it against Michigan State. They went under it. Ben didn’t feel it and didn’t see it. He did a better job this time.”

ISU pretty much had no chance in overtime, not with the way the game entered OT.

McLemore — he had a huge four-point play, a trey and foul shot, with seven minutes left in regulation to cut a 63-57 deficit to 63-61 — opened OT with a three. After that, Releford hit three free throws, Withey two free throws and a bucket and Releford put in one of two free throws, giving KU a 90-79 lead with 2:30 left. ISU finally hit a free throw at 2:11.

“A lot of it is momentum,” Self said of KU rolling, 18-10, in OT. “Without saying any disrespect, that would be a punch to the gut the way we tied it up and everything. The building ... we had an opportunity to try to take advantage of the emotion and the building and we did. We played pretty well in overtime. We ran an out of bounds play to start it, Ben makes a three and the next thing you know we’re off to the races.”

All’s well that ended well as KU won its 22nd straight conference opener on a night ISU hit 14 of 38 three-pointers to KU’s eight of 19.

McLemore scored 33 points — he made all six of his trey tries — while Withey had 15, Johnson and Releford 12 and Kevin Young 10.

KU will next meet Texas Tech at 3 p.m., Saturday, in Lubbock.

Comments

Ian Emerson 1 year, 10 months ago

Ben is special, he's just so talented. I bet guarding the fastest mo fo ever in practic last year helped too. Favorite frosh ever!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

Without question a great game by BMac but only 12 shots? Shooters on the level of BMac and Releford need to start taking more shots. Ben should be in the 20-25 shots per game range. Withey needs to take that 17 foot jumper more often. I love Tharpe and Ellis's agressiveness but Ellis needs to step up his defense.

Josh Becker 1 year, 10 months ago

At that point in the game Tharpe was the only one who was playing aggressive. Thats exactly what he needs to do, and everyone else. I dont think Tharpe is any where near Tyshawn's mindset of needing to score--Ty's the man-- so you should be be happy. Tharpe penetrates to dish easy buckets, like any PG with the talent he is surrounded by. Have to keep them honest. The dimes werent there tonight, they have been and will be. and whats wrong with some passion

KULA 1 year, 10 months ago

At that point in the game, Naadir was the only one gettin' it done. Keep it going, Naadir!

Mick Allen 1 year, 10 months ago

Two out of 11, with no assists is hardly getting it done. He needs to be better to get 23 minutes. He forced at least 3 shots in the second half. He has been playing much better but not last night.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

I wouldn't say that Tharpe isn't half as athletic as TT...not after that three-game stretch where he could do no wrong but he lacks consistency and confidence. I think he has made that first huge stride from his freshman year to now. If he can continue to improve at that rate then next year he will be the starting PG.

rockchalker5 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree B Mac needs to take more shots. But please don't compare Releford and B Mac's shooting ability.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

The only comparison is they both make a high percentage. With regards to BMac, he has it all. The team needs to play to him more, i.e. drive, spot-up 3s, backdoors, etc.

rockchalker5 1 year, 10 months ago

OK thats fair then. I would love to see Mac drive more for sure. And I'm not dogging Releford because he has proven this year that hes' a better shooter than I previously gave him credit for.

JHawk74 1 year, 10 months ago

You don't need to shoot more than 12 times if you make 10 shots. He was 7 for 7 from free throw line also. We had solid production from all the starters with all of them scoring in double figures. It appears BMac averages around 12-13 shots per game for the season. There were several games he shot the ball 16 or 17 times but only had around 20 points in those games. BMac leads the team in shot attempts for the season I think he is taking his fair share of shots.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

Personally, I like the fact that he is selective with his shooting and plays so unselfishly.

The last thing this team needs, is to get dependent on one player even though Danny Manning proved that it could be done. This team plays best when everyone is expected to take and hit open shots.

There is probably no one else I would rather see take the last shot with the game on the line but with everyone involved, the defense cannot afford to double team BMac and if they do, he will find the open player.

HawksWin 1 year, 10 months ago

Hoi doesn't care for Self & Self has no love for Hoi. Good rivalry, but goes deeper. Hoi is no Frank. Hoi is too cocky & arrogant for his own good. Serve him some humble pie in Aimes, CS!

kranny 1 year, 10 months ago

Where did you hear that the two coaches have no "love" for each other? In articles I've read, Self has always praised and spoke well of Hoiberg.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

What he is, is probably the second or third best coach in the Big 12. Maybe he'll start partying with some of Iowa State's coeds.

chriz 1 year, 10 months ago

Ben, as I mentioned in the other article, if you don't call bank before it leaves your hands, that's not calling bank.

mojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Seriously? You want to rain on this parade? Twice?

JHawk74 1 year, 10 months ago

Who freak'n cares if he called 'bank' or not?

Bob Zielinski 1 year, 10 months ago

Over the last several years I have seen several games (tight games, late situations too) where our opponent casts up a prayer/ill advised three ball and it banks in. This is just one coming around for us finally. That shot does not even come close to evening the ledger.

Remember D Rose launching a prayer/last second shot which banked in during the last half of the National Championship game? Not a three ball but a perfect example of our opponents catching more than their fair share of luck at critical times.

chriz 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh, I don't know...Ben McLemore? Bill Self? Fred Hoiberg? The author of the article? Everyone but you? Of course, I'll take the points. But he didn't call his shot until after it left his hand. That's like pointing to the side pocket after you miss the corner pocket but get a lucky carem.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

The shot was money so obviously the bank was open.

stm62 1 year, 10 months ago

People keep saying that KU will have little competition in the Big 12 this year. Tell that to the Cyclones. Iowa State is GOOD.

JHawk74 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you from Iowa? Are you a Iowa State fan? KU played some of the worst defense of the year. They finally turned up the defense in OT and won the game. They allowed ISU to shot 38 three point shots. That is not good defense.

railer20 1 year, 10 months ago

Funny Bill Self said they guarded the 3 ball well...I will take his word over anyone elses. ISU shoots 3's and that's what they do, whether you are in their face or not. Last night they made them, and they still lost. In Aimes, if they don't make them we will win by 20+

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Niang, McGee and Ejim combined for 40-some points, but also got in foul trouble. Not having Niang and Ejim hurt ISO in overtime. It's possible that if we'd guarded more aggressively Kansas would have been in foul trouble in OT.

As it was, toward the end of the game we were in the bonus, they weren't. Defense was a factor. Fouls 29-17 was also a factor. I agree their defense wasn't stellar, but there's more to the story.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree stm62.. they came in and gave Kansas one hell of a game at AFH. I'm betting that they will finish in the top half of the conference.

Melvin Ejim made Withey defend on the perimeter and KU did not adjust well and Tyrus McGee is everything you would want from a senior point guard.

rockchalker5 1 year, 10 months ago

This is why we are Jayhawk fans right here. It doesn't get any better than this. No place like the PHOG...

KGphoto 1 year, 10 months ago

Even the cheerleaders are completely freaking out. I Love it.

There really is no place like home.

KGphoto 1 year, 10 months ago

Uh, by the way. Are those your seats, cuz we should hang out more. : )

Hawkanator 1 year, 10 months ago

My husband and I were towards the top hugging and screaming! Nice to get another view! I wish I could have also seen how that looked on TV and what the announcers said!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

PHOF!

This was a man posting.

This why I tell people to read slayr.

This was a former player cutting through appearances to realities.

This was all it.

No dogging anyone.

Just truth.

Truth is still the sweetest pie.

mojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree with poor perimeter defense. Allowed too many offensive rebounds.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

There was no weak side help... Young got beat several times but at least he knew what his job was, Ellis looked lost at times.

But we all know what the best thing about freshmen is...

jhox 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you think the guards will be working on boxing out their men today in practice? We gave up offensive rebounds in bunches to guards crashing from the perimeter.

Way too many open 3's. Guys not seeing man and ball and, thus, being out of position to help. You called it slayr, very poor effort last night. E.J. was horrible. We won on the talent of the freshman, and for no other reason.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

The talent of ONE freshman. Tharpe and Ellis didn't make any major contributions.

Withey did have decent stats except for blocked shots..his game is in the paint, when he was forced to guard on the perimeter was when ISU really got their game going.

EJ must have had 6 turnovers but he also had 10 assists. Finding consistent play at the point might haunt us throughout this season. And why can't we hit free throws when we need them most?

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Bill is determined to play the percentages when it comes to the three point line. It's the only way I can make sense of why we consistently can't seem to clamp down on the perimeter despite the fact a team is blisteringly hot from the trey. Against Belmont it worked as they were ice cold from three and they got annihilated.

But I've also seen the Iowa State script often enough to know it's really the only way teams can beat Kansas:

1. Take 35-40 threes figuring that you will hit on @ 40%.
  2. Make all your FT.
  3. Get a few calls and 50/50 balls to bounce your way.

Even then, Kansas has to have a bad-to-mediocre night in order to pull the upset.

Iowa State did all of the above and Kansas did their part. Somehow, we pulled it out. Yet I fully expected to wake up today and see headlines about Kansas losing. It still hasn't sunk in what I witnessed last night.

Mick Allen 1 year, 10 months ago

First of all it was Niang, not Ejim, that started the game hitting his first 3 shots, 2 of which were threes which pulled Jeff further out on the floor. As far as our inability to cover the arc, Hoiberg runs a NBA 3 point attack and their screening is much more sophisticated than most. Part of our problem is that we play such an aggressive man defense that we help on the ball when someone beats their man off the bounce and this leads to the help defender's man getting an open look. It is hard to get them out of that help defense mentality. Naadir had a bad 2nd half. He did get in the paint off the bounce but forced some shots and did not look to make the pass and create for others. He is 2 for 11, 0 for 5 from 3, 2of which were forced bad shots. No assists in 23 minutes is not what you want from your point guard. It is also obvious that neither EJ nor Naadir can keep their man in front of them which lends itself to help defense and open threes. Although the stat sheet shows HCBS played only 8 guys, we actually played 9, when you factor in the Allen Field House emotion. All that said I still believe our chance of making the Final Four[our 15th] is as good as anyone's. We will not go undefeated in league, so no more talk about it.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

Always love a Jamaal Wilkes reference. His son came to KU and stayed one season before transferring.

YuCoJayHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

It seemed KU gave up way too many offensive rebounds that Iowa St. stuck right back in for 2. And then for a long stretch, KU kept missing long shots and never getting an offensive rebound. At one point Tharpe had taken 10 shots and nobody else had taken more than 5. I love the aggressiveness, but if Mclemore is shooting so well from 3 (as he has all season), Bennie Mac needs to take more shots!! Great game to watch, RCJH!!

Hank Cross 1 year, 10 months ago

That game was a real eyesore for the first 39 minutes and change. Careless passes, not boxing out, etc. They're better than that. Just chalk it up to an off night in a dead gym playing a long-time league foe. Survive and move on.

Gene Jackson 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree. the first 39 minutes the entire team seemed sluggish.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

oxcal ... look what the cat dragged in. Perhaps you visit here a bit more often.

Michael Luby 1 year, 10 months ago

What a game, what a game! Instant classic that is. Well if you edit out all the missed D by KU. They were begging to lose that game at times but Im glad they didnt!! RCJHGOKU!

Ps, they will lose atleast a couple of conf games this year. Im thinking Okie state always has our #, Iowa st will be mega hard to beat at their gym, and Kstate is also going to be hard to be at their place too. Good teaching opportunities to get them ready for a big run in March!! Hehehehe, while Kensticky might be in the NIT this year. HA! They suck.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Lulu,

First slayr nails the game.

Now you nail Next AND Kentucky.

Way to go!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

As long as KU is undefeated in Big 12 play I will continue to hold onto hope for the first ever 18-0 Big 12 record.

As for uky I can't stand them any more than anyone else around here, but they are better than their 9-4 record says they are. Yeah, Baylor got lucky and caught them on a bad day or whatever, but their other 3 losses are against #1 Duke (nuetral site), #3 Louisville (away), and #17 Notre Dame (away). Their wins, other than the season opener against Maryland have pretty much all been 30 point blowouts.

I love that they are unranked, but they really probably deserve to be in the top 25, and they will be soon because they don't play another decent team until Feb 12.

Sam Constance 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not worried about playing KSU in Manhattan. That team is tough defensively, but they can't score for crap. Unless we are ice cold against them, we will defeat them, and I think without too much drama.

Geezer 1 year, 10 months ago

In the Coaches post-game presser he commented that he thought the team defended the perimeter pretty well. Maybe you need to drop your thoughts in his suggestion box.

Bob Thompson 1 year, 10 months ago

Is it just me or did the announcers seem a bit prejudice. All they seem to talk about was ISU. While I am complaining, why couldn't they have broad casted in HD.. I am spoiled, and HD is sooooo much better.

Can't say that the refs did a good job, a number of bad calls both ways. Say do three point shooters practice falling down

Great win, wasn't sure they could pull it out. Hope this serves as a wake up call, and they improve on there D.

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

I think it's the chair in which you sit. Matt Dougherty compared McLemore to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, and praised Scott Pollard. ESPN featured a McLemore piece with HCBS. But no blocks from Withey, poor KU defense, and errant passes prevented all-Kansas mushy gushy from the announcers. The story (besides Ben) was that ISU was not just hanging in at AFH, but about to end the 2nd longest home court win streak and the 99 out of 100. That was the big story, and ISU was deserving of the attention.

Michael Luby 1 year, 10 months ago

actually Bay, Withey got credit for 3 blocks in the box score.
I dont remember him getting 3 but thats the #'s

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

Ya, you're right. But at one time, I don't know exactly, but I remember the announcers saying that Withey had no blocks yet. I think it was at least mid-way through the second half. I was just sayin' to bobku that the story was just as much about ISU this time around as it was about KU. Kansas dominates plenty of times, so when the announcers have a chance to gush over the other team, they must relish it because it's different. I think the TV love was pretty even in this game.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

ISU played a lot like Mizzou last season. They really spaced the floor out on the offensive end and forced our defense out of the paint. They had the little pick and cut play that they ran at the elbow so often that we had a little trouble with, but man they came out with guns blazing.

I can see how the are a leading offensive rebounding team. Because they spread the floor out and get everyone out of the paint and because they shoot so many jump shots all of their offensive rebounds are essentially just 50/50 balls, and if you can get 40% of those 50/50 balls then you're an excellent offensive rebounding team.

Fred Hoiberg really had a good game plan and they executed it very well. But it takes a special team to be able to play that way. Mizzou last year had it down and ISU this year is good at it as well, but you have to be an excellent jump shooting team, which most teams in D1 aren't.

All-in-all I think that Bill Self got out-coached on a night that ISU had played just one game in 21 days and Hoiberg had a college hoops eternity to prepare his team for KU (no disrespect, because Bill Self is coach of the year) and KU was lucky to keep the home-court and conference opener streaks alive. But as far as ISU laying the blueprint for the rest of the league, I don't know if anyone else in the league can play that style of play, and if they don't already play that way they most likely won't be able to implement a completely new offensive system just for two games against Kansas.

It will be interesting to see if Bill Self changes his game plan a bit when we play them in Hilton, or if he sticks with his bread and butter and just amps the guys up like it's the championship game.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

Baylor may be able to spread us out like that with Isaiah Austin being decent from long-range.

Robert Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

A couple of observations. To win 100 out of 101 home games, you need a little luck now and then and that is what happened last night. I can think of a few other games during this stretch where KU got a little at the end of the game to pull put a win.

The AFH environment also puts a lot of pressure on the opposing team when they have a lead down the stretch.

Finally, when we were up by double digits against Temple, I thought this team might cruise to a #1 seed. I no longer believe that. I think that is good thing. Over Chrtistmas, Bill Self said he wasn't pleased with the defense and a lot of people blew off the comment as coach speak. Well, the defense did not look that good last night. It probably wasn't that good against OSU and Temple either as both teams don't shoot the ball very well.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

100 out of 101... That's an awesome statistic.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

Since I don't know this team as well as most of you I will just list my takeaways from the game, many of which will echo earlier posters.

1. I don't understand why it took so long to put young on their stretch big... seemed obvious to me about 5 minutes in.
  2. I don't mind Nadir being aggressive but he was out of control last night.
  3. Young is always so aware of everything around him it amazes me.
  4. Ben is just special.
  5. Withey really did prove to me that he has stepped up his offensive arsenal. Not that it will ever be pretty.
  6. Releford is too important to be a non-factor all game. even if he isn't scoring he must contribute.
  7. Our perimeter D was non-existent last night. It was disgusting frankly.
  8. Lazy passes will be our downfall this year.

The gods of Allen Fieldhouse smiled upon us last night and rolled in the phog just when we needed it.

Brak 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sorry but did you actually watch the game last night or are these thoughts based on what you heard of last nights game? 1. You realize their stretch big had only started his 2nd game this season and before last night he was 2-8 from behind the arc and Ejim who has started every game was 2-4 from behind the arc, so based off that you can see why Self was hesitant to switch defenders based on a couple shots because he has never made that many shots before. 2. I won't disagree that at times Naadir (not Nadir) was out of control but to say that is all you took from his play is laughable, you realize he was the only one trying to be agressive, and he actually made some of those drives, and lets not forget he hit a few clutch free throws to keep us in the game. 6. Releford a "non-factor" really? The only thing about this I will say is that I wish he would shoot it more, other than that he was a huge factor on D and taking smart shots on O. 7. Funny Bill Self said in his press conference that he thought the perimeter D was pretty good, so are you really going to take a stand and call him a liar? I agree it was bad at times but mostly due to ISUs ability to pass the ball and they caught us a few times overextending and overhelping but they made alot of contested shots. 8. Lazy posters with opinions are the downside of KUSports.com

tis4tim 1 year, 10 months ago

chuckberry32,

If Naadir's shots go in, would you still view him as out of control last night? Not criticizing your summary. Rather, I've been contemplating this question myself.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

no, but i felt that i could accurately predict that he was going to shoot the ball every time he touched it and many were forced. i'd like to see him drive to create for others a little more

kckuguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Good post ChuckBerry and don't sell your self short, you know this team as well as any of the other posters do. Again, a very good and well thought out post 1 through 8

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

thank you. I don't understand why people attack other's opinions. I guess it's to make themselves feel better. those were just my thoughts as I watched. only 2nd game i've gotten to see this year but we look a lot better than i expected after Europe.

KUFan90 1 year, 10 months ago

While I agree Self needed to make a change with how they were pulling Withey away from the basket, it did expose another problem. When Withey didn't have to worry about his guy shooting 3s, the camped out in the lane, and didn't help with perimeter defense. This allowed his guy to set naked screens for ISUs shooters. Basically made it a 2 on one for ISU. Withey's guy would screen EJ, and without help, EJ's guy gets an open 3.

It's pick your poison. If Withey gets out on the perimeter to help on screens even if his guy can't hit 3s like their freshman big was, then we leave the middle open. If he packs the middle, they screen and get open 3s.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

That is a game I'm going to always remember. We should have lost the game, the way we played. Nothing seemed to click right the whole game. Thanks to BM this could be a special season. I hope you enjoy watching him while you can because he could end up the No.1 pick in the draft.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Excellent comments above -- just a couple thoughts:

-Did you see Ejim score over Withey at the 28 second mark, near the end of the game? I had posted some thoughts on Ellis and some things he might consider putting in his bag of tricks. One was the hips. Watch Ejim from the camera angle near the other basket. It was a beautiful thing. He closed the distance with Withey. Got into the bigger guy with his left hip, and was able to score over Withey. Getting that hip into the defender just before you go up for the shot is a great way to both create space between the defender and, most importantly, keep the defender on the ground for the split second necessary to score. Hope Ellis saw that. That, together with an up and under move here and there, would really help Ellis (just my opinion).

-Predictable. After the temple game, we know we are going to get challenged and we know this won't be a cake walk. We're not an elite team yet, not in comparison to the four elite teams from 2008 that made it to the final four. Not yet.

-AW3: I'm not going to say it's a cure all. I posted this last night. But a little AW3 .. a potential hot shooter .. for 4 minutes each half could have changed the flow. Self went small late in the game. I bet many here were thinking that much earlier, even before the game (see jaybate's post yesterday). Using White at the 4 vs. ISU would have been a reasonable call for some stretches. plasticJhawk mentioned ISU playing like Missouri. Good point. It's a reasonable way for teams to attack us. It makes Withey less Withey-like. Self, rightfully so, believes his best players will win the game. But he can't be afraid to be proactive, go outside of the comfort zone. This should be a wake up call. Not really for this strategy, per se, but to not simply think that his perceived best lineup or rotation will always do the trick. We can be beat. We legitimately could have lost two straight games at home. And ISU didn't do anything special last night. They played their A- game. We'll see that. A hot shooter off of the bench can change the dynamic.

-KY: Another very good game. He has to be able to knock down that open 15 footer, and prove it. Or teams will take notes on ISU's defense of the high low. The threat of actually hitting the 15 footer is a big key in any high-low set. If you can't hit it, the D sags, and you can't even drive, let alone pass.

-Releford: Agonizing is all I would say. Two nice drives. That's it. Assert yourself on offense. I feel like a broken record there.

(continued)

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

We are definitely in agreement when it comes to giving AW3 a few opportunities. I've noticed that we have both wanted to see him getting more time when the game is still in question.

Run some plays for him so that he can get an open three. I think his confidence has been lacking of late, if he gets hot (and he definitely has the talent) he would help stretch the defense giving our bigs more opportunities in the paint.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

-Tharpe: Perhaps not his best game, but if you're not seeing all the positive progress, you're missing the boat. This is good stuff. A big leap. From frustrated, to confident. Look at it this way -- if EJ was in foul trouble, would you worry now?

-Rebounding: YuCoJayHawk hit this point above .. but your butt on someone. Many instances of not blocking out. My guess is that might be a practice point today or tomorrow?

-Big Picture: I have no negative feelings after that game .. this team is about what was expected. It can beat anyone. It can lose to a decent team, on that team's good night. Not unlike last year's team. This season, we have McLemore. Maybe the brightest star we've had in a while. And he's trending upward. Really, in the end, it's better that the Big 12 is not a cakewalk. We want challenges? We're going to get them. We've had two in a row.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

nailed it.

Releford looked very good the two times he drove. If he's not getting wide open threes then the drive should be there for him. He needs to take it. Also KU would benefit immensely if Young and Jeff were more comfortable knocking down that 15-17 footer from the high post.

Hank Cross 1 year, 10 months ago

Good points. Re rebounding, I can think of at least two times down the stretch that JW didn't bother to find somebody who got the put-back and scored. Usually when that happens the game goes the other way. Tharpe has made great progress considering the tight leash he was on last year. Finally, why not give AW3 some shots when the team needs a spark.

KU 1 year, 10 months ago

PlasticJ.......I am with you if what you are saying is that our perimeter D was no worse than usual. Hoiberg just exposed it and magnified the weakness of it by eliminating (at least limiting) the effectiveness of our human eraser Withey by spreading the floor and forcing our bigs onto the perimeter. We haven't had a perimeter defense that could prevent dribble penetration and kick-outs all season. We just ran into a team that has the make-up to expose the fact. Duke does it. As you said, MU does it. When Withey can't be there to block and alter 10-15 shots per game because he is forced out high and the opponent cranks up 38 3s, the general perception of the fan base is that our perimeter defense had a bad night. Teams that shoot that many 3s are going to get more than their fair share of offensive boards because of the long bounce and spread floor.

In no way am I saying KUs perimeter defense is OK. I am just saying that last night it wasn't any worse than usual in terms of effort. We played a team that exposed the weakness.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

What a game!

First, ISU's offensive game plan was quality: They just ran plays that forced Withey out to the perimeter. It was a great strategy and they executed it pretty well. Having a slower seven-footer guarding out on the perimeter allowed their quick guards to get open and hoist up as many threes as they wanted. That kept ISU in the game.

Second, don't get too down on Naadir. For all the shots he missed, at least he was being aggressive, facilitating the offense and wasn't turning the ball over. It would have been great if he had made a few more shots or gotten a few more assists, but that was a tough game against a tough team. He'll get better as the conference season rolls along.

Also, I agree with the sentiment that this team needs to work on its passing. I've noticed it all year long. We've been losing the turnover battle in a lot of games this year and that will end up hurting us badly. Elijah, I'm looking at you! Protect that ball!

Lastly, I didn't even realize until I checked the box score this morning, but Withey, Young and Elijah all had double doubles in addition to McLemore's 33 pts. That's what I call all-round production!

jayhawkfox2 1 year, 10 months ago

PlasticJ, Agree completely with your comments. I wasn't surprised by how ISU spread the floor against us. I live in Des Moines and yesterdays Des Moines Register had an article that essentially had Hoiberg saying that he would start Niang (good shooter big) to bring Withey out of the post to minimize shot blocking. Spread the floor and take away some of the help defense and then hope they could keep it close for a chance at the win. Pretty much exactly how the game started and was obviously an effective game plan. As far as the rebounding, a spread floor does give more opportunities for the offensive rebound, but it's really up to the D to find the slasher(s) coming in. Too many times last night we had 2 or 3 guys in the lane looking at the basket for the rebound (with no ISU player around), ball goes a little long off the rim and you have Ejim or someone else, flying in for the put back. Normally, KU would have been in good position for the rebound but when everyone is out at the arc, our players need to keep their heads on a swivel and account for the slashers. We didn't do a good job of that last night.

MizzouBest 1 year, 10 months ago

Well....Well....Well......Looks like Kansas needed just a wee bit of luck to win last night. A banked 3 point shot???? Well....nothing wrong with some luck I guess.......although Missouri sure did not need any against Alabama.

But the way I see it......KU needed some luck.......but then ISU had a full 5 minute mini-game(overtime) to get the win.......but KU completely dominated that when it counted. So Kansas deserves the win. No shame at all......especially in that ISU is a pretty darn good team and very well coached.

A good day to you......Jayhawk Fans.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

a good day indeed. You truly are Mizzou's best.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

A bit snide, but I'll take it.

We've been beating the crap out of people for the most part. I suppose we were due for a close call or two.

I appreciate what little sentiment you displayed, but you also have my permission to leave.

MizzouBest 1 year, 10 months ago

Reuben.....Of course I'm a little snide, sir. I'm a Mizzou fan after all!!! You would not want me to be anything else I think. But maybe I'm not a typical MU fan......I have a lot of respect for KU and have many times on here admitted KU is by far a better program than MU. So.....snide is one of my few assets!! Good day, Reuben!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for the kind words. Be sure to tell your boys to keep practicing hard. Maybe they can move beyond the first round this year.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

My apologies, Mizzou.

I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

another thing that ISU did in the game that we are going to see a LOT more of is the way ISU defended the EJ/Withey driving lob.

Hoiberg had Ejim locked in on that and Ejim backed into Withey's path every time we ran it and foced Withey from an easy dunk into a tough catch. Ejim was borderline blocking on a couple of those plays, but it was never whistled. Expect to see that same defensive strategy the rest of the year.

Notice that Young never attempted the "jump-shot post feed" this game. ISU all but eliminated that as an option after Temple effectively exposed it.

KUFan90 1 year, 10 months ago

To combat that, EJ needs to go ahead and finish. He should be able to take his man 1:1 if the help doesn't come. It becomes a decision play for EJ. Read Withey's defender...if he comes and helps, lob to Withey. If he sticks with Withey, then take the shot.

Beate Williams 1 year, 10 months ago

I find many of these comments totally off base. I have to wonder what game were some of you watching. I'm surprised that Jaybate supports the comments made by drgnslsyr, Jaybate is usually more on top of what is going on here and I say these things because of the following: 1) CS thought our pdefense was pretty good, I have watched the game for a second time and I too thought it was pretty good, yes they took a lot of shots but most of those shots there was a hand in their face or the KU player was closing out fast which cause the offensive player to have to think that a block is possible; 2) Hoi is a good coach and his experience in the NBA did not hurt his philosophical approach to the game, as the announcers stated, last year ISU was picked 8th in the league and ended up tied for 3rd, I see the same happening this year; 3) Hoi had essentially 3 weeks to prepare for this game and it was obvious on offense and defense that they had KU's mannerisms down, there were times when they beat us to our spots, excellent game plan and well executed; 4) we outrebounded them on the defensive end and the offensive end even though they pulled our bigs out, we outrebounded by 8, I think CS finds that acceptable.

We did not have our best game shooting, whether is was a bunny or a three until the OT. We started the game making mistakes we have not been making the last few games, why last night, I'm hard pressed to figure out but we were not playing our games except in small stretches; whereas, ISU, imho played an exceptional game, limiting their TOs when normally they would have many more against a much poorer defensive effort.

Finally, as has been stated ad infinitum, we get everybody's best shot, whether it is at their place or at AFH. I sometimes think they put more effort at AFH than at their place because of the status it adds to their program to go into AFH, where few leave with a "W", and get a victory...just think they talk about those kinds of victories for years. Not our best game, but the team, players and coaches, put on their big boy britches towards the end of regulation and during OT and came away with a hard fought well deserved victory.

Robert Brock 1 year, 10 months ago

C'mon - ISU had wide-open shots available to them all night. That was not good perimeter defense, whether Self agrees (coach-speech) or not.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

well at least i'm not the only one who feels that way.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed Brock.

Not to take anything away from Iowa State. They did everything they should have done...and they should have won the game.

This and the Temple game show a lack of focus, especially on the defense side. Whether Self admitted it about this game or not, he has stated that we still need a lot of work on defense.

Also, I'm concerned about Hoiby's plan for Withey...which in all fairness....did work. Self needs to acknowledge this and have a plan in place in case future teams do the same thing, which if any other Big XII coach watched the game last night, they are sure to do.

Now, KU did fight back and show a lot of heart. But that was a game they should have dominated, and one phenomenal play (won't even call it a lucky shot) is the only reason we're not hanging our heads this morning.

Mike Acosta 1 year, 10 months ago

McLemore!! What a STUD!!! Great finish to a frantic night!

Gil Ek 1 year, 10 months ago

Another great memory at AFH. I liked Tharpe's aggressiveness. He is improving and now pushing himself to a higher level. He will slip and slide some but will be better for it soon. Think he will contribute big time by March. Still concerned about perimeter defense. Showed weakness again. Ohio St. had many looks but just couldn't make on dead legs. I thought ISU was good last year with all the transfers on the bench. I had them 4th or better this year in the Big 12. Couple tough games in a row. Can't wait for March. Already have the MADNESS!!! RCJH!!!!!

hawkdiek 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's see

Ben BehindtheArcLemore

Ben TreyLemore

Ben BankLemore

Ben DunkLemore

Ben WinLemore

Is this kid a treat to watch or what!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

This game pretty much guarantees the entire starting five will be gone next season, so the starting positions will be up for grabs:

1] PG - Probably the closest thing to a lock at this point, Naadir with Frank and maybe Conner.

2] SG - Wayne, Rio, Conner????? I don't know, although Wayne could be a beast and we sure need to find some place for Conner.

3] PF - Ellis, Traylor, Wesley...boy, will we need improvement here.

4] SF - Brannen, AWIII.....Yikes

5] C - Embiid, Lucas......quite a change from having the Condor in the middle.

We will be young, younger and youngest!!!

My point is Julius Randle will be at Kansas for the Feb.16th Texas game. I'm no expert, but I see several spots whereby JR could slide right in and get big time PT...I hope he sees it also!!!

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

Not worried about next year. Coach Self always comes through. My guess is that we will be fine. I am too busy enjoying the ride this year!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, it's my nature to worry..comes with being an architect. We even worry when there are times that why is there nothing to worry about!! :)

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Yep, I see all 5 starters departing as well. My early guess for next season:

PG - Naadir / Rio / Frank

SG - AW3 / Frankamp

SF - Selden / Greene

PF - Ellis / Traylor

C - Lucas / Embiid

It appears to be another season where we'll be pretty stacked with guards and needing the few good post-players we have to play really well. The biggest question mark is knowing which 3 perimeter players will start. I could see Naadir, Greene and Selden all starting if Self didn't have a history of preferring experienced guys over freshmen. In the end I think it will be Naadir, AW3 and Selden beginning next season as starters (with Greene, Rio and Frankamp battling it out for backup minutes). One thing's for sure: No matter who starts, we're going to be really talented on the perimeter next season.

And yes, I definitely think Randle could come in and get immediate playing time as a starter in the post. Embiid and Lucas are both fairly unproven, so I could see Self going with two highly talented PF's instead of the traditional one PF and one C (but if we don't get Randle, I think Lucas will be ahead of Embiid to start the season due to his experience as a red-shirt this year).

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Sound forecast.

I would say just because of a year's experience of returnees it might start out

PG Naadir SG Rio SH AW3 PF Ellis C Lucas

But after awhile, it could gravitate around the way you have it.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

At this point of the season, I kind of like these games. Close calls like this show the team that there is always room for improvement, and to never be satisfied. What impresses me the most about this team is that there is no one on the court during crunch time that I don't have confidence in. I even have confidence in the guys that weren't on the court during crunch time. I love this team!

I did not feel the perimeter defense was terrible. I feel the amount of 3 point shooting was a direct result of the tremendous amount of respect given to Jeff Withey's shot blocking/altering abilities. I know he got scored on toward the end of the game, but that was an outstanding offensive move, and Withey made Ejim earn it.

These games are good experiences as we continue to learn, grow and develop team chemistry. What a great win! Ben McLemore is the ultimate team player!

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Thriller of a game so I am glad the team pulled it out last night. BMac was outstanding but was allowed to disappear too often. In addition to CS having a class on how to defensively position and rebound against a perimeter team, I hope he shows them the tape of the final minute or so of the first half. We had the ball with just over a minute left after a timeout and allowed a 5 point swing that should have never happened. Poor play decisions throughout. Teach'em coach.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

"I hope he shows them the tape of the final minute or so of the first half."

guaranteed they will be sick of that tape before Saturday.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Iowa State Post Game Observations:

-Man, what a tale of two halves. I thought the Jayhawks played extremely well in the first half and somehow only managed a 4 point lead when it definitely should have been larger. Credit Iowa State and their efficiency from behind the arc for keeping it close.

If there was one glaring negative about the hawks in the first half it was their 3 point defensive pressure especially going under the screen contesting the 3. Actually, that was definitely an issue and weakness in the second half as well.

-How much did this game have a “Tourny Feel” to it? Wow! Iowa State definitely came in and knocked Kansas’ two front teeth out. Man, they were shooting a lot of 3’s. What do you do when they start making them? I wish Self would have put more pressure on them with some token press or picked them up ¾ full court man more just to disrupt a little more. I would have rather given up a lay-up then another made 3 pointer.

-EJ-Everybody knows I have been hard on EJ, but I have to compliment him for his first half performance last night. He finally started “Attacking” and was definitely more aggressive than what I have seen from him so Kudos for the change. That was definitely noticeable.

Yes, EJ had some turnovers trying to make some plays but I’ll take that as long as he’s attacking and trying to create something. That’s what a PG is suppose to do. I would rather have EJ commit a turnover trying to make something happen like he exhibited in the first half than be less aggressive and commit a turnover moving the ball around the perimeter like he did against Temple and previous games.

With that said, I am definitely encouraged by the first half play of EJ. Second Half was a different story and he kind of resorted back to some of his bad non-aggressive habits with turnovers and shot selection, but overall it was a big step IMO. He’s got to cut down on the Turnovers though. 11 turnovers and 19 assists in two games.

-Ben McLemore-Wow! Maybe he listened to Greg Anthony’s comments about Kansas after the Temple game needing a “Playmaker”. I don’t care what McLemore’s stats were last night, the only thing I cared about is that when his team needed him, he took it to another level, became aggressive, tried to make plays, and executed while trying to make plays the last 8 min of the game. That’s what big time players do. That was impressive!

-KY-It was definitely interesting how Iowa State played KY last night. Man, they sagged off a lot and clogged the middle with Withey big time. You could see KY a little bit confused he was so wide open at times around the FT line. He picked up some big rebounds and his energy is a life saver at times, but the outlet pass that got stolen and then turned into 3 point bucket for Cyclones was crucial. That was a bad swing for the Jayhawks. Another double-double for KY so job well done. You don’t need that outlet pass.

cont'd

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

-Withey-He actually had a pretty quiet night even though he had 15 points and 12 rebounds. Iowa State did a good job IMO by limiting the “Withey Factor”. He still got 3 blocks, but he really was a non-factor defensively considering Iowa State chucked up 38 “3” point FG attempts. Wow! 30 freaking 8 attempts! I can’t remember who gave him the pass in transition, but Withey showed a lot of agility in the air moving his body around and then scoring the lay-up. Withey’s steal out by half-court was huge as well.

-Relly-He was also very quiet last night IMO. He chucked up a couple of bad shots, but he was still pretty consistent. I know he was in foul trouble against Temple, but I would like to see his energy level come up just a little. Offensviely, still another efficient night for Relly, but the second straight game defensively where he doesn’t have a steal. For a defensive stopper, you would like to see that stat increase just a little bit.

-Tharpe-As much as he was off last night with his shooting, he had some nice drives, stayed aggressive, and continued to “Create” late in regulation which is what Kansas needed. I like his aggressive mindset in this game, but his shot selection was erratic and bad at times. I am sure Self will show the pull up 3 in transition off zero passes as a bad shot. I cringed on that one. I thought EJ and Tharpe together played really well in the first half. That’s the type of aggressiveness I want to see out of those guys.

-Traylor-Pretty good night for only 8 minutes. He made his FT’s, had a nice bucket and got on the glass in his limited minutes and that’s what you want out of Jamari. Job Well Done!

-Ellis-I thought Traylor played better in the minutes he got, but Ellis just needs experience and time and he’ll be fine.

Ben Kane 1 year, 10 months ago

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of EJ last night.

jbal32 1 year, 10 months ago

I love this website a lot. I love reading posts from educated fans of my favorite team. While I don't post that much on here because I don't know that much about bball, (I played college football) it seems that today we for the most part disagree with what CS said in the post game presser. He said he thought that we guarded the 3 ball well last night, and after watching the game and reading your posts it seems most of us disagree. While I don't know how to fix the problem, I feel a great deal of pride from watching our team pull out a win last night and this is why.

I saw a similar offensive strategy from Ohio State when we played them, just throw up treys and hope they hit enough to compete. This is a compliment I feel because the opponent is saying that they don't want any part of our interior defense, none what so ever. In fact Jeff Withey influenced the game before it even started by making the mayor tweak his starting lineup. We made a great offensive team (6th in the nation in points and rebounds, 17th in assists) essentially one dimensional. If a team hits 14 3 ball's, most of the time they are going to win. So kudos to the hawks for digging down deep and winning.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed! Jesse Newell did a great piece breaking down every single 3 point attempt from the Ohio State game and it showed how "Closely Guarded" and the statistics behind every attempt.

It would be interesting to see what this Iowa state game looked like with every break down of every shot. This is the one fear I have come March. Somebody jacking up a bunch of 3's and having a game like Iowa State, Purdue, Northern Iowa, or VCU. Granted KU went 2-2 in those games, but the two "W's" were close and could have easily been "L's".

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Dear Ben's Mom,

Thank you so very much for not forcing your son to attend MU. We really love him here.

Thanks,

BlownAwayJay

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm completely blown away by Self's comments regarding how well they guarded the three. I wonder if he will still feel they guarded well after watching the tape.

The block outs were atrocious, but I expect to see that when we play Iowa St. Its just the nature of them getting long rebounds off the three and also they are in constant super swarm mode like a family of wasps. Kind of hard to get your hips on somebody when they don't stand still for a millisecond. Iowa State brought great energy to the fieldhouse last night.

KUFan90 1 year, 10 months ago

I still think there were plenty of chances for our guys to get down in a good, wide rebounding stance and clear some space between them and the basket and just not let anybody by.

There were a couple of times where KY was moving TOWARD the basket in anticipation of a missed shot off a 3 pointer and the ball went over his head. Why move in like that when there is no one between you and the basket? Keep some distance so you can quickly close on a short board but also keep the long bounces from going over you.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

100 of the last 101 in Allen Field House.

offline 1 year, 10 months ago

This game last night was not impressive at all, it just showed that this players can't get their head in the game. It appeared that the KU players were not ready for this game and looked like they weren't interested in the out come. All the players looked lost except for Ben. Can't count on him for the rest of the games. KU will be lucky to win the Big 12 Con. this year.

MizzouBest 1 year, 10 months ago

Ummmmm.....They did win. Or did you not watch the end? Final score KU 97, ISU 89. Actually.....you have absolutely no idea what was going on in the players' minds. So maybe you should just shut up about the players.

jbal32 1 year, 10 months ago

Never thought I would see the day when a Mizzou fan would defend a KU win to a KSU troll. MizzouBest... you are alright sir. Offline, you should be just that, offline.

MizzouBest 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, sir.....regadless of whose team I like......I don't like it when anyone attacks these kids that are trying to do their best. Especially when they think they know what is going on in their heads. They try their best....which is all any fan can ask for really. Is he really a KSU fan? If so....that certainly explains it. But sometimes I find a team's own fans are the most cruel and hateful....which is a shame.

jbal32 1 year, 10 months ago

That's a great attitude to have. And yes, he is a KSU fan, not one of our own.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 10 months ago

Some posters have pointed to Tharpe as playing poorly last night and I agree that his stats were ugly. He did have bad luck with some drives not falling in plus a couple of threes hit the back rim. However lust like with some of Taylor's ugly games last year, we don't win last night's game without him. He brought some badly needed aggression to the court and put ISU back on their heels a bit.

4thGenJHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

He played great D against #13 in second half.

KULA 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed. He was the only one playing aggressively on offense. We had too many lackadaisical possessions without any penetration and settling for or rushing a three as the clock ran down. The game of basketball is won in the paint. Naadir is playing because he can get the ball into the paint.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 10 months ago

Ben "Bank Glasslemore" Mclemore -Robert Pope

4thGenJHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I hate to admit, but after having sat all night 10 rows behind Hoi & Co, with 21 secs to go I wanted to drag my ISU grad sister in law out of AFH by her hair. She said "if we make these free throws we can go." Well, we all know what happened after that. I don't think I've ever heard AFH so loud!! RCJH

kranny 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree and disagree about the defense and such. The issue is limiting the number of treys that they get off. ISU lives and dies by the 3. If they are allowed 38 three attempts, they are going to nail a significant number of them. They hit 14 treys in 38 attempts to equal 42 points which is 37%. The opposing team needs to either equal that in threes or get 8 more stops and score 2 on 8 more possessions to equal 42 points if they only go for 2 point scores. Ideally it would be better to get in the passing lanes and deny and not allow or limit touches to the shooting guards so they can't even get a look at the 3 or slow the game down to limit the number of possessions for the opposing team. Also, if this happened the ball maybe forced forced inside and Withey would be more effective than trying to defend the perimeter. For example. if ISU shoots only 20 threes and shoots 37 percent that's 7 made shots for only 21 points. That's a lot more manageable defensively than giving up 42 points in only 38 possessions. Bill will have their number the next game. ISU is very one-dimensional and as far as last night's game-a broken clock is still correct twice a day, that doesn't mean it works. Last night was ISU's one time during the day to be correct for 39 minutes and 59 seconds. But in the end it was still broke.

LLH 1 year, 10 months ago

Glad we won, thanks for the ongoing memories Mr. SickLemore. Kid's got sick game.