Monday, January 7, 2013

How Keegan voted: Jan. 7 AP college basketball ballot

The following is Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan's Jan. 7 ballot for the Associated Press men's basketball poll. (Kansas remained at No. 6 in both the AP and coaches polls this week.)

1. Duke
  20. Kansas State
  21. Wichita State
  22. Oklahoma State
  23. North Carolina State
  24. Kentucky
  25. Wyoming

Comments

Joe Satterwhite 9 years ago

I think Michigan is very good, but Duke I believe will falter playing the crappy ACC competition like always

Dirtyphog 9 years ago

My homerism would put KU there too, but I'd knock uofa out of the top 10, their "impressive" wins aren't as impressive anymore

BucknellJayhawk3 9 years ago

NCAA has KU at no. 2 in their latest RPI. I'm a big fan of kenpom though, I think that's my #1 metric, but I think there is some value in the other polls as well.

Kansas was probably the hottest team in December so I think Keegan's right to put them at No. 3.

I wish UNC and UK would stay out of the rankings for a while. Always makes me smile to see them not even in the top 25. Oh, and wish Bucknell would get some votes ! :)

RCJH

Kansas1241 9 years ago

Arizona is so overrated. Should have lost to Colorado...who we beat by 36, and then almost lost to Utah.
Oh and here's McLemore's alley-oop from last night in HD!

Michael Auchard 9 years ago

Too bad you had such horrible seats.

Kyle Sybesma 9 years ago

Indiana is still the best team IMO.

Matt Bowers 9 years ago

Already been done. I think Michigan is the team, because of their out of conference schedule and how strong the big10 is. Indiana is good, but my money is Michigan right now as the best team in the country and a team that is continuing to heat up.

I'm not sure KU is a top 3 team right now. I'm a little surprised that Gonzaga isn't a top 5 team with what they've done so far this season. Lastly, I think that Louisville is better than KU and when they are completely healthy...dangerous.

Rock Chalk

Benz Junque 9 years ago

Louisville's Achilles Heel is Siva. He is their Tyshawn Taylor, capable of throwing a boneheaded pass into the stands right after making an amazing play. Too mercurial, too risky, too inconsistent and I think he will ultimately block Louisville from being as good as they could be.

Joseph Bullock 9 years ago

without Tyshawn Taylor, KU goes nowhere last year. Did he make some bad plays, yes. every point guard does. but most don't have to do as much as he had to do, and he was trying way too hard to over compensate for what the team did not have. Did we have a great shooter on the team last year? Absolutely not. So there was no one to kick the ball out to, when he drove the lane. And many times, if a person really knows basketball, people were not in the proper spots, thus, a pass that was good, was made bad. He was a great player, and competitor. where is our penetration this year. Virtually non-exixtent to this point. Penetration is the key to everything at the offensive end of the floor, and no one in the Country did it better than Tyshawn, so quit hating!

jaybate 9 years ago

1.Duke? more cigarette smoke. 2.Michigan? go fish again. 3.Kansas? I wanna take you higher! 4.Louisville? Get slip and fall for Slick Rick. 5.Indiana? Indiana wants me, lord I can't go back there. 6.Arizona? Stumpy will take his lumpies. 7.Syracuse? Sryexcuse. 8.Minnesota? better ball in Manitoba. 9.Gonzaga? Mark "Too" Few? 10.Florida? A chance. 11.Missouri? You meant Fizzouri, right?

Fuggedabout the rest.

hucking_fawks_rock 9 years ago

Zona and Minnesota have no business being in the top 10.

yates33333 9 years ago

I think the posters are correct concerning Arizona. Indiana and Louisville are rated too low. The Indiana v. Michigan game ought to be first rate. I hate to admit it but Missouri should be in the top 10. Hopefully, they will never develop the unity currently lacking.

Jeff Coffman 9 years ago

Did you miss their 2 point victory over Bucknell at home?

they don't have any impressive wins. Please don't put them in the Top 10, some would argue the Top 20.

Tony Bandle 9 years ago

Duke #1 Seed in the East. NCAA will not allow any team with a plus .500 record in this regional. Duke will be awarded bonus pointas for best "flopping".

Michigan #1 Seed in the Midwest. Victories over Indy will keep the Hoosiers a #2 seed....unless they switch to jerseys that read HICKORY and Tom Crean changes his name to Norman Dale!!

Arizona #1 Seed in the West. NCAA officials prefer the mild winter temps and great golf courses of Arizona so the Wildcats will be a #1 no matter how many games they lose.

Kansas #1 Seed in the South. Jayhawks travel well and draw even better so first two games in KCMO will be sellouts, then down to Jerry Land in Dallas and off to Atlanta to kick Duke's Blue Devil Ass!!

Robert Murphy 9 years ago

As Naadir Tharpe goes so go the Jayhawks.

Michael Bratisax 9 years ago

A marginal contributor...the Seniors will be leading the way.

jchief40 9 years ago

I think Tharpe & Young are the most improved players this year (not including seniors)