Kansas defeats Temple, 69-62

• 3:30 p.m., Jan. 6, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Solitary swipe: Ben McLemore’s late steal turns tide in 69-62 KU win

Kansas guard Ben McLemore soars in for a dunk before the student section late in the game against Temple on Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after Temple win

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 69-62 victory over Temple on Jan. 6, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Temple coach Fran Dunphy

Temple coach Fran Dunphy talks to reporters following his team's 69-62 loss to Kansas on Jan. 6, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Kevin Young, Jeff Withey and Elijah Johnson

Kansas players Kevin Young, Jeff Withey and Elijah Johnson talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 69-62 victory over Temple on Jan. 6, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Temple

Resembling a football defensive back, Ben McLemore broke on the ball at just the right time, intercepting a Temple pass and flushing it to give Kansas University’s basketball team a late one-point lead it would not relinquish in a 69-62 victory over the Owls on Sunday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I definitely was reading it,” KU freshman sensation McLemore said of a pass from Will Cummings to high-scoring guard Khalif Wyatt near midcourt right in front of KU’s radio broadcast crew.

“I knew they were trying to get him the ball,” KU’s 6-foot-5 red-shirt freshman added of Wyatt, who scored a game-high 26 points. “I was playing high on the floor. I tried to time it, to go for the steal. It happened, and I got it.”

McLemore’s breakaway dunk, which followed two Kevin Young free throws (at 4:21), helped erase a 57-54 deficit and give the Jayhawks a 58-57 advantage at 2:42.

It’s a lead sixth-ranked KU (12-1) expanded upon late. McLemore’s defensive play and slam turned out to be the plays of the game as the Jayhawks defeated a Temple team (10-3) that resembled the squad that beat No. 3-ranked Syracuse on Dec. 23.

“The game wasn’t over yet, but with that dunk, I think it sealed the game,” said McLemore, not about to take sole credit for the victory. “Travis’ amazing shot also gave us confidence down the stretch.”

Young — he had his first double-double as a Jayhawk (16 points, 10 rebounds) — hit four straight free throws around one by Temple, and KU led, 62-58, at 1:26. Following a block by Jeff Withey (nine rejections, 11 rebounds, eight points), foul-plagued Travis Releford hit a three with :35 left to give KU a 65-58 advantage. Releford answered a Temple bucket with two free throws at :20.5, keeping the lead at seven, 67-60. McLemore dunked at 8.2 seconds again, answering two free throws by the Owls.

“I’m not surprised he could pick it off,” KU senior point guard Elijah Johnson said of McLemore’s key theft, KU’s only steal on a day the Jayhawks forced just four turnovers, fewest turnovers by a KU foe since March 16, 2008, when KU forced just four against Texas.

“I give him that much respect he was the only one to get a steal. He was pressuring. He wasn’t giving up. He wasn’t scared to get out and pressure the ball. I felt he deserved it,” added Johnson, who came up with a pair of driving layups to erase KU’s game-high deficit of four (54-50) with 5:31 to play.

“That brought energy,” Releford said of McLemore’s steal. “The crowd got into it. That one steal is the only one we had, I guess, the whole game.

“That was the key to it (victory),” added Releford, who finished with 14 points off 5-of-5 shooting in just 23 minutes.

Noted KU’s Young: “I think it took all the momentum from them and gave it to us. It got the crowd pumped up and everything and helped us a lot.”

KU coach Bill Self was philosophical about the steal. “To win close games, players have to make plays, and he made a big one,” Self said.

“It was huge,” Self added. “We get one steal for the game (KU last had one steal on March 15, 2005, versus Oklahoma State). Ben runs through a pass and gets a dunk, which was pretty special. Ben was never plugged in offensively the whole game, it seemed like. That wasn’t his fault. It was our fault. We did a poor job of plugging him in.”

McLemore scored 13 points off 5-of-12 shooting. His one steal is the play that brought down the house, so to speak.

“We were just talking about this. I couldn’t hear myself think,” McLemore said of the crowd reaction the second half. “I think Elijah was trying to talk to me. I couldn’t understand him. Good thing I know how to read lips. It was crazy. The crowd was into it. We were trying to revolve around the crowd. The crowd was with us, and we were with them.”

Young’s free throws were huge on a night Self said KU “never had any rhythm offensively.” Young entered the game a 56.3 percent free-throw shooter and went 6-for-6.

“He was terrific,” Self said. “We’re 16-of-18 from the line (to Owls’ 20 of 26). It was amazing. We couldn’t get to the free-throw line. I’m not saying we got a bad whistle, but it probably wasn’t a typical home whistle, so to speak.”

Seniors Young, Johnson and Releford scored 15 of KU’s final 19 points.

“I don’t think about it too much, just another free throw,” Young said. “I’m just trying to focus on making it.”

KU’s play down the stretch made it easier for Self to forget the Jayhawks led by as many as 12 points the first half and 11 the second.

“We made a lot of plays down the stretch when we got down three late,” Self said. “I’m proud of our guys to how they reacted to not being very good today. To have a great season, you have to play games where you don’t play as well. Today was one of those games for us.”

It may be remembered as the day McLemore arrived as a defensive player. He helped shut down the 6-foot-4 Wyatt late after Wyatt got Releford in foul trouble.

As far as remaining grounded ... “I think it’s my family telling me to be focused on nine in a row,” he said of KU going for its ninth straight Big 12 regular-season title.

KU opens Big 12 play on Wednesday against Iowa State. Tipoff is 6 p.m. in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

CasperCorps 1 year, 8 months ago

What a perfect game to have before Almost Big Twelve play begins. These guys play like seniors who know this is the end of their career in college and seem to enjoy each game out. Elijah was clutch along with others, but seems to be only a shell of what he was the last few years.. Maybe we can find some games to rest him and let him get healthy

CasperCorps 1 year, 8 months ago

Rockem and then chalked.. Here comes the best time of the year!!!

David Leathers 1 year, 8 months ago

--“Playing here, it’s been great. It’s a blessing to be here and out here playing for the University of Kansas. I’m just out here having fun,” McLemore said.

That sounds like a quote from a soon-to-be lottery pick.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Too bad he doesn't stick around and learn how to dominate a game. He was very passive today - stood around and watched the game like he was on the couch in my living room.

Don't call me a hater or anything else - it's the truth. He has more God-given talent and ability than anyone I've seen in a long time, but no way is he ready for the big leagues.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I'm in total agreement with the sentiment that he should stick around, but that's just for my own selfish reasons. This kid will be an NBA star and he has no reason to be in the NCAA, even right now. If Josh Selby and Xavier Henry were ready for the big leagues when they left KU, Ben McLemore is undoubtedly ready. And when he leaves, I'll be happy that he chose Kansas as his school the one season he played college ball.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Please understand, I LOVE B-Mac and all things KU, but re-read what you just wrote. Josh Selby and Xavier Henry were most definitely not NBA ready when they left. That's what I'm saying. Ben is a great kid and a very good player, but he has a LOT left to learn at the college level.

Remember a guy named Thomas Robinson? He dominated college basketball last year. What's he up to this year in the NBA? 4.5 ppg and 3.8 rebounds. Of course, he has to haul his paycheck to the bank in a wheelbarrow, but those are hardly impressive numbers.

I have no doubt that Ben will leave after this year. It's just too damn bad that the NBA bloodsuckers are able to do this. If kids could stay and develop, the NBA would get a better product and the college fans would have more to cheer about as well.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

I have no argument with that. I get your point about Selby and Henry and I agree that they weren't ready for the NBA. Neither was Julian or Mario or Darrell (I would argue that TRob and the Morris twins were pretty well-equiped to be NBA players though). But to say that there's "no way [Ben McLemore] is ready for the big leagues" is a pretty huge stretch. He may not be as ready as Lebron James was, but really who is? Ben is as ready as anyone else that will be entering the draft this year.

rockchalker5 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree with this. I thought B Mac was just OK today. Could've been a lot better.

Gregor Southard 1 year, 8 months ago

The first thing I thought when I read Mc's quote "was how many posts before someone puts it in their post?" Only 3!

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

KU made clutch plays late in this game and they made their free throws. But, it was the steal by McLemore that turned the game into KU's favor and the 3 by Releford that salted the game away.

Michael Auchard 1 year, 8 months ago

Uh, we played awful. Slow. Don't know what game you were watching. They got away with just as many fouls as we did.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

That's a ridiculous comment, Jayhawk. The officiating may not have been great, but it was balanced. Have you forgotten about the phantom "kicked ball" call against Temple?

Mel Clare 1 year, 8 months ago

Did you not also see the "kicked ball" they did not get called for in the 2nd half? I thought it was balanced but when Young was thrown to the ground under the basket and nothing was called..............THAT was a wrestling move on Temple!

tis4tim 1 year, 8 months ago

actorman,

The "balance" only came towards the end of the game, probably once the officials realized how lopsided the foul tallies were.

I know homers like ourselves typically rue the refs when we play badly, but in this case, for Bill Self to mention it even in passing, I'd suspect he watched the same game Jayhawk470 did.

There was a 6 or 7 minute stretch in the second half where Temple was on a 22-7 run ... without hitting a single shot from the field! That tells me we weren't hitting shots either, but Temple was living on the line.

Also, at one point midway through the second half, Temple was 13 of 15 from the line and we were 1 of 2. IMO that's approaching a Duke level of favoritism.

A good win no less. Rock Chalk!

adamjhwkfan 1 year, 8 months ago

I think most of the game was somewhat balanced.. but it did take till the end of the game for us to start getting some calls, yet, the kicked ball, Kevin being taken to the ground, and the shot that should have been ruled goal-tending were examples of how poor the officiating was most the game.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

You guys make some good points. Perhaps it was worse than I realized at first glance. But I think the discrepancy in foul shooting in the second half had as much to do with KU not penetrating enough as it had to do with poor officiating.

ksyank 1 year, 8 months ago

I’m not saying we got a bad whistle, but it probably wasn’t a typical home whistle, so to speak.” Agreed! For HCBS to even mention anything says he agrees. They did miss stuff the other way as well, but IMHO Wyatt got away with more traveling/offensive fouls/flops than any player I ever remember seeing.
Nevertheless, we passed a difficult test.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

The officiating, really, was horrible. I felt that it certainly went both ways. There was the stretch were it seemed that the refs were trying to keep Temple in the game, and then a stretch where it seemed that they were trying to catch up in our favor -- as mentioned above.

The call where Young was shooting (they gave him two shots), but didn't give him the bucket on the goal-tending was the second worst call of the day .. behind the phantom kick that led to two KU points on the inbounds to Releford. What I think is really worse, though, are the announcers doing all they can not to criticize the officiating on Young's play. What were they watching?

On the claimed "kick" .. you're telling me no other official couldn't help on that? Or really, wouldn't help?

Releford's 5th foul put the icing on the cake to a horribly officiated day. The offensive player drives past a set Releford and kicks Releford's foot and fall down.

As with every sport, officiating incompetence, officiating egos, and officiating in general is the worst part of the game.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 8 months ago

"The game wasn't over yet, but with that dunk, I think it sealed the game." Huh???

Josh Galler 1 year, 8 months ago

I am thinking that he meant to say in retrospect the dunk sealed the game

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree JayhawkinATL. After I read that I wss like, dude, it's a one point game and their star player had been torching us the second half. That's a freshman talking :)

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, I did a double-take on that as well. But in reading further, I'm not sure if that was the way he actually said it, or if it was just written poorly. In context, it looks as if he may have meant that his last dunk sealed the game.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

Recently there have been several handsome bounce passes that have led to break away points. (previous games) I don't know if any of them made ESPN, leading to a "hey guys lets watch that again" scenario. I saw a lot of forced bullet bounce passes that were either stolen out right or found the ankles of the intended recipient.

I thought the officiating went both ways, I'm not a fan of complaining about refs after a win. I do wonder if Temples Wyatt ever gets called for a carry, maybe it was my imagination but he appeared to "flip pancakes" on every possession. Glad the Hawks won. For the poster that said "our 2nd team could beat 75% of D1 schools". Temple is not one of them. Hey Hawks, please take care of the ball. Sigh of relief, RCJH.

Dear Travis, please shoot more often. Dear Jeff, when you get a rebound 16" from the basket, please slam the ball through the hoop before you come down, why make 2 trips? Thank you, picky monk.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

Couldn't agree more. Our passing was horrendous yesterday. Usually, when a team turns it over as much as KU did, there's no hope for a win. We got lucky that Temple isn't the kind of team that blows opponents out of the water. We would have been sunk for sure!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 8 months ago

With HiDef tv, boocoo cameras, & jillions of replays is really easy to show how krappy officiating really is. When guys get hammered & no call, then call a mere touch on a breakaway layup, is almost comical. This was a butt-ugly game that we just survived. Without KY, this is easily a home loss. Kid was huge-he brings that enthusiasm every time out. Today he aced free throws when in the OSU game he couldn't buy one. With Releford out we struggled badly. I thought we looked slow defensively and relied on Withey way too much. If he gets the whistles he probably deserved & takes the pine for very long, our dominance is negligible. Temple was a damn good team. Talented, poised, well coached, & resilient. This reminded me of the games down the stretch in the dance last March. Tough win even at home but they better get used to it, cause about all conf road games will be like this. Next-ISU...RCJH!

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Rio, please maintain patience and poise, keep moving ahead on the practice court, and work to catch up to the speed of toplevel collegiate play. You are going to become the recruit who proves once again to the faithful Jayhawk following that an energetic guard with speed and length can excite a crowd with multiple steals in even the tightest of contests. Rock Chalk!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

He's standing at a fork in the road, basketball in hand .. which path does he take? Let's hope it's the path you suggest.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope he mans-up from now until next October, because I've said before that if you look at our roster it's easy to see him starting at the 2 next season, as long as he's getting what he's supposed to be doing right now, which is learning the system, learning the system, and learning the system (plus a little strength training). It's hard to image Tharp, Rio and White not being our starting 3-guard combo from day one, with Greene and Selden chomping at the bit to become ready for prime time as those two morph from Freshmen into sophs...

KansasComet 1 year, 8 months ago

I really enjoyed watching this game. We have to win at least two games like this to get to Atlanta. There will be games when we can't throw it in the ocean. These are the type of games that get higher seed teams sent home in the NCAA Tournament. I questioned who would step up in crunch time for this team, and I got my answer....everybody!! Tharpe hit a beautiful teardrop in the lane, EJ got in the lane twice and scored, and proved to the Jayhawk Nation he can get to the hoop when needed. McLemore hits a picture perfect three-pointer from the baseline and gets a steal and a dunk. Withey blocked and rebounded during crunch time, really making his presence felt. Releford, despite having four fouls played his heart out and was all over the floor. AWIII and Perry Ellis contributed as well. We play this way against Michigan State and we win going away. This team has a chance to be special. Yes, I know the refs....but, that's what happens every game we play on CBS during the regular season, I guess it's good for ratings? If we can make our way through conference play, this team has a chance to be special.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

great to see those back-to-back driving scoops from EJ, and another that rimmed out, to show that he can conserve energy (and his knees) and choose select moments to strike- like he did in a late game situation when his man really wasn't too worried about him being a threat to go to the rim until it was too late... daggers, patiently played like a senior who still has some of his ups...

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 8 months ago

Really frustrating game to watch; glad we were able to pull away. Temple is tough. It'll be interesting to see how the "Catholic 7" conference progresses.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

Frustrating, but necessary. Good practice for similar types of games in the future.

Alex Resnik 1 year, 8 months ago

have to admit everybody.. I am not a fan of talking about officiating on message boards. Our team can't control the officials, they have to adjust to bad/good officiating every game. No matter how bad/good the officiating is or isn't we still have to win the game. KSU fans complain about the officials... not us. Let's class it up a bit. With that being said, I thought the game was lost once Rele got into foul trouble so early. I have to admit I did not agree with having Nadiir guard Wyatt once Rele got into foul trouble. But when BMac started checking him he did FANTASTIC. Not just the steal, but the 4-5 posessions before that steal. He showed some real promise. I also noticed that BMac was rotating very well on weakside defense. You don't see that very often from a Frosh. Even though he did not score very well, he showed that he is becoming a well rounded player.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Falling a little short of Expectations: Johnson [knee-related], Perry, Rio & AWIII [all three still searching]

Meeting Expectations: Releford, Withey, Traylor [he is who he is]

Exceeding Expectations: Young [and how!!]

Far Exceeding Expectations: BenMac [not me personally since I got to see him in high school]

Blowing Expectations Away: Nadiir!! He is now HCBS's "Prophet Insurance"!

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

Identifying poor officiating is not "classless". Blaming poor officiating for losing is classless. I think the fact that so many feel the need to point out the terrible officiating even after a win speaks to just how bad it was.

I'm not going to sit here and say that it was lopsided in favor of Temple, because I think if you take the full 40 minutes into account, it was probably pretty even. But the fact is that there was some egregiously bad calls. Luckily, the two worst ones (BY FAR) were balanced: the phantom kicked ball where KU got to keep possession after a Temple player stole it cleanly clearly favored KU, but the unbelievable non-shooting foul call on Kevin had me dumbfounded. I think I would have to say the call against Kevin was worse, because it's not just that the official missed the goaltending call--basket interference wasn't even an eligible call because he so badly missed the fact that it should have been in the act of shooting. I don't know how you get to be a D-I referee and yet are unable to discern the fact that a player is fouled after his feet have left the ground. Of course, at least one idiot defended the call (thanks Greg Anthony, but continuation doesn't apply in that situation, so your input is worthless). The funny thing is that I've seen college officials give "and one" situations to plays that were far more "continuation" based than Kevin's shot, and I'm always yelling "THERE IS NO CONTINUATION IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL!" at the television when it happens. There were also terrible "in the circle" blocking foul calls (when no one was standing in the circle), a terrible goaltending call on Withey when he knocked the ball INTO the backboard (btw, I thought you were allowed to review goaltending calls--is that not right?) and the obvious lopsidedness of fouls (until about the 10 minute mark in the second half). KU had doubled up Temple's fouls until that point, with KU having committed 14 fouls to Temple's 7. If Temple was sitting back and playing zone, that kind of disparity might be plausible, but we all saw Dunphy's men playing up-in-your-jersey, tough defense the entire game.The idea that they had 7 fouls in 30 minutes as a team is flabbergasting.

My biggest problem is that most of these calls are some of the more verifiable calls in basketball. You have a clear frame of reference for goaltending, for someone being in the no-charge circle, for someone being fouled after leaving their feet, for someone kicking the ball versus swiping it with their hands. It's not like these were bang-bang charge/block plays where both players were getting to a spot at nearly the same time and a call needed to be made.

(to be continued...)

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

(...continued)

The worst part of the officiating really wasn't about the tally of how many calls favored KU vs. Temple. It was the way in which they left us without our best perimeter defender. By my count, Travis should have ended the game with 3 fouls. His fifth was garbage, but the worst one called on him was when he closed out on Wyatt (?) in the corner shooting a three. From the camera angle, you could see that Travis' trajectory was going to carry him past (and in front of) the shooter at a diagonal plane. The shooter (as everyone except the officials saw) then jumped sideways into Travis for no other reason than to draw contact. Unfortunately, someone forgot that a defensive player has just as much right to his own space and his own directional path as the offensive player. If Travis had been driving in a straight line with the ball and a player had jumped sideways into his path at the last second, causing contact, it would be a blocking foul. The same logic applies in reverse.

Bad officiating doesn't annoy me because of how it affects the outcomes of KU's games. It annoys me the same way it annoys me when a coworker does something incompetent. It annoys me because I don't like watching stupidity, and I don't like watching any game that is controlled by poor officiating, no matter the outcome. I'm one who believes that KU needs to learn to play through terrible officiating, so in that respect, I think yesterday's game was a valuable learning experience. Still, it was incredibly frustrating to watch.

End rant.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been bringing up the phantom "kicked ball" call and saying that I thought the officiating was pretty balanced, but you're right that the call when KY was shooting was even more horrendous.

One thing, though: despite what Anthony and the others originally said, the foul actually WAS called in the act of shooting. One of the broadcasters mentioned that in passing as KY was going to the free throw line, but they didn't say anything more about it. You might recall that KY got two shots instead of a 1-and-1, which would have been the case if it hadn't been called a shooting foul. Of course that makes the call even worse, because the goaltending was so obvious. It's incomprehensible how they could have missed that. It's like none of the refs even looked at the basket after the foul was called.

Sam Constance 1 year, 8 months ago

Unrelated note: how soon until we can start calling Naadir the Lil' Prophet?

You know, since he's smaller and younger than EJ, but has a similarly "prophet-y" sounding name? Or maybe that's just in my head...

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd like to shorten it to "lil' pro"

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

The poor passing had far more to do with KU barely winning yesterday than the bad officiating did. Our offense looked absolutely terrible the entire game (can't blame the refs for that). Our starting five (plus Naadir) did enough to get the win, but man, I can't remember the last time I saw so many bad passes by KU in one game (maybe last year when Naadir turned it over like 9 times to Kentucky early in the season?). It was just one bad game, but I've noticed that poor passing has been a trend with this team all season. We exposed ourselves yesterday as a team that can't pass. This team really needs to work on protecting the ball or future opponents are going to have a field day stealing bad passes.

But as Bill Self said, this is just one game and every season KU has ugly victories. This was one of them and I'm just happy that this one didn't end up in the "L" column!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Exactly right on the poor passing. The game was poorly officiated, but it largely went both ways. And even if it didn't, that happens in basketball. You overcome. We overcame, and we won.

The poor passing was a product of our opponent. They were long, athletic, and getting into passing lanes was obviously a strength. Playing Ohio St., they were a much different team. We probably were making many of the same passes .. just can't do that vs. Temple.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Welcome my friend to the show that never ends. Feel free to name a topic..any topic....and we KU posters are the mosters and we'll disect, inject, inspect, respect or reject any and all subjects!!! :)

nostradavid 1 year, 8 months ago

Brain Salad Surgery is the special today at Alice's Restaurant!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with Greg Anthony's comment yesterday when he stated that Kansas lacks a "Playmaker" offensively in the half court set. That was definitely evident in yesterday's game and it's been evident over the last month.

While B-Mac has so much promise he is starting to churn out the Xavier Henry ghost by settling for 3 pointers and hovering around the 3 point line. If B-Mac will just pump and go and attack the paint, he'll quickly find out that his game will go to another level. He doesn't necssarily have to get to the rim, but just attack the pain.

The same definitely goes for EJ. Apparently his knee is bothering him more than anybody on the coaching staff or the media is leading on, but if his health doesn't improve it's definitely going to be a concern down the road. EJ has frustrated the dickens out of me this year. The guy simply won't attack the paint and curl off shoulder/shoulder on ball screens. I mean, if you look at EJ's 9 assists they all came off set plays and set lobs which is great and all, but when is EJ going to roll up his sleeves and get dirty and create something for somebody else?

EJ finally had those to back to back layups late in the game when he finally decided to make something happen, but why is he waiting until Kansas is down and late in the game to try something like that? He also had a nice pump fake from 3 and one dribble made shot which was also nice. Other than that, EJ was careless, too cautious, and hiding around the 3 point line on offense not creating for others. I also wanted to rip my TV out of the wall for the rememberance of his pull up 3 point attempt in transition (Ali Farokhmanesh) moment. That was about as boneheaded as it gets down by 1 at 57-56.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Regarding your observations of BMac .. and I know you know this .. but he's a freshman. The normal time we're used to for a kid to progress a bit is just sped up. We want this incredible talent to be the man in crunch time.

Personally, we have two .. EJ and Releford. EJ can get to the rack. He did it during our run last March, and he had a couple great takes yesterday. With Releford, I see him more as the ghost of X. He such a great Manu Ginobili like slasher (meaning not based on quickness), and he's shooting great.

Those are my go-to guys.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

"He doesn't necssarily have to get to the rim, but just attack the pain."

I agree that it's important to attack the pain whenever possible. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

Head On "Apply Directly to the Forehead".

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

tis was a great game for us. when we get to the NCAA Tournament, you have to play when the officiating is not going your way, so I'm glad this game was what it was. I am an ex official, not at this level, but at the College level, and you have bad games, just like the players and coaches do. sometimes the speed of the game is too fast for some refs, and if they are not a crew that works together on a regular basis (and I'm not sure about this crew), then it is not always smooth. I thought the call on Tharp for traveling was bad, because that official does not understand that a small guard can make a great drop step. Look at the kick ball they called against Temple, that was not a kick. but what I was most impressed with, is that we only got 4 turnovers, to 14 we committed, and we still won the game. Temple has to be scratching their heads when looking at those stats, and saying, wow, the Jayhawks did down deep, and just find a way to win games. one other thing is that I totally agree with Coach Self, that our defense is over rated to this point. we have plenty of time to get that fixed, with more effort, but when it comes to NCAA Tourney time, we can't keep putting Withy at risk, because there may come a game when he has to help too much, and gets in foul trouble. I also thought Perry was really aggressive today, and asserted himself more than I have seen him do, in the past, and that is a good thing. he wasn't thinking so much, he was just doing! I wish Young (who played great) would have made that reverse alley oop dunk. wow, that would have been nasty. and last, did you see Self and Travis going at it during a time out. that is healthy, because they can both express themselves. And then Travis made those plays!!! oh, and his 5th foul on the trip. that is a very hard no call for a ref, and I'm not sure, even after watching the replay, if Travis was completely set, but as a ref, you don't get a chance to see the replay, you just have to make a lightning quick decision, on way or the other!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

good insight from the official perspective.

I think that your "Official Reviews" should be a post-game staple to talk about good calls, bad calls, and close calls.

Also I agree with you that Perry looked better yesterday, even though he didn't make any shots he looked to be playing aggressive on both ends and really seemed to be keeping up with the pace of the game better.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm in the boat the B Mac is not NBA star ready yet. Even though he will probably be a top 5 pick. My issue is he is not a creator. He is a great talent, but he hasn't figured out how to destroy defenses by himself. He has a great shot and great dunk. But his game is based on receiving the pass. To be an NBA star at the 2 guard, you need to be able to put the ball on the court and drive past people or hit a shot off the dribble. Maybe he learns this by the end of the year, but right now he can be a really good role player. Just not a star that he is capable of.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 8 months ago

I disagree wholeheartedly. Of all the guys on KU's roster this year, BMac is the only one who can create his own shot (Bill Self has talked about this on a couple of occasions).

I would point your attention to players like Ray Allen. He's one of the best 2 guards the NBA has ever seen, yet he is not great at driving past opponents or hitting shots off the dribble. I think BMac is similar to Ray Allen, but BMac has shows signs of being able to create for himself this season.

And again I'll say: BMac is as ready for the NBA as anyone else that will be entering this year's draft. Unless he's already got millions of dollars in the bank, the choice is pretty clear.

Ted Hume 1 year, 8 months ago

Ray Allen with a helping of Vince Carter thrown in. Anyone think he's not going to be in the Slam Dunk contest next year?

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

While I have been hearing the Ray Allen comparisons because of that rifle release he has, Ray Allen before he got old was as good as it got when he came to shot off the dribble. Ray is one of the best catch and shoot guys but he could take the ball, dribble, stop on a dime, and make that shot. B Mac hasn't shown the ability to make it, even though he has shown the ability to do the other two steps.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

HawkKlaw: I'm checking to see if Mars and Saturn are aligned or something, because it's a rare day when we agree this much. But you're dead on point here.

BMac .. one part Ray Allen, one part Dominique Wilkens, one part t/b/d (meaning, not sure yet .. but there's something else there).

Hawk90: Time, I think, will permit him to develop into what you're suggesting. And the it won't take that long.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree that time will tell, but as of right now I'm not 100% sold on NBA star.

David Gisi 1 year, 8 months ago

You are spot on with the Wilkens comparison. There's just something about the smooth way he carries himself, and it is reminiscent of Dominique. Ben will definitely develop more, but he is already a lot of fun to watch now.

archercc 1 year, 8 months ago

The only call that had me pulling my hair out was the obvious BS call against Travis on the 3 point shot. They got it right on Withey but blew it on Travis, and the guy even had to reach 3 feet to the right to get contact. A BS call when Young is getting body slammed at the other end and no call.

Otherwise it wasnt the worst Ive seen by a country mile. The killer in this game was the laziness: both in the passes and the front court offense. I was screaming for Tharpe the whole game, he ran the offense considerably better than EJ for the bulk of the game (Johnson came up in the final minutes but Id think that if Tharpe was running more we wouldnt have needed those final minutes).

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 8 months ago

archercc, u r right about when Young got mugged. I'm not sure how the ref missed that one. I still think EJ has a lot of trouble running the point, but I thought Tharp, who is one of my favorite players, was very passive, compared to what he has been the previous 4 games, but he still played pretty darn good. that wraparound pass was the bomb! I also agree that we threw a lot of lazy passes which some of which lead to steals, but the steal that B-Mac got, I thought was a lazy pass on Temples part, although he did anticipate it really well. all in all, a great win over a great, well disciplined, physical team, that is well coached. no team will want to see them, or us, in their NCAA Tourney Bracket!

Alohahawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Just some thoughts, on which I went into slightly more depth under Jesse's 'Top Jayhawk' rankings for the Temple game.

While still trailing Temple, Ben MC. stole the ball and drove for a 'soft' dunk, instead of going for a ESPN top ten spectacular dunk. Showed maturity. The points were far more important than showboating at crunch time, which could have backfired if the dunk were flubbed.

And on Temple's final possession, Temple's player (forget who?) was driving for a score/layup, and Jeff was there, ready to block the shot. The Owl didn't even attempt a shot, but dribbled out of bounds and turned it over. In essense, it took away an almost certain block from Withey.

Kansas1241 1 year, 8 months ago

McLemore's alley-oop dunk in HD (the entire play)...this never gets old!

nostradavid 1 year, 8 months ago

Awesome symmetry: -10 turnovers / +10 blocks. The team will enjoy watching the video of Kevin's missed dunk. The highlight reel attempt makes the blooper reel.

David Gisi 1 year, 8 months ago

I am probably a little late to the party, but I have to add I agree completely with Marchphogs assessment of Releford's 4th foul. The contact occurred because Travis tied up the ball and Wyatt threw himself into Travis. It was a great defensive play, completely turned by an awful call. I thought that the first half was pretty much a free for all, very physical at both ends. My observations when it comes to officiating are that I have believed for a long time that officiating has far more effect on the ebb and flow of games than some want to admit. Its often less about huge calls, like the obvious goal tend on Young's shot (at least he got the foul call and made the pair), or the phantom kick ball that went against Temple. I noticed that Perry Ellis came out playing very well. He was aggressive, rebounding strong and made nice offensive moves going after the basket. He missed a couple you'd think he would make, but that happens. Perry got 3 quick fouls though. And here's my point about Perry. His 2nd foul was well-deserved, bad decision on his part that came right after a "steal" by Temple. The "steal" happened on an entry pass to Perry in the paint. The pass went right to where Perry was, the problem was that Perry wasn't there when the pass arrived, because he was literally thrown out of the way of the pass. If the foul had been called there, Perry's second foul likely doesn't occur. It was a frustration foul. Happens all the time. So shortly after Perry has 3. My question is, how does that scenario affect the psyche of a young player whose biggest knock is lack of aggressiveness. He comes out strong, misses a couple he could've made, gets thrown around with no call and suddenly finds himself with 3 fouls in the first half. I think that officials, even in allowing physical play to go both ways for a while, can very easily affect games. That being said, Temple is a solid team, played well. KU really did not play well, made some awful passes that were far uglier than any call the officials could've made/not made, and struggled to find their way offensively. All in all, it was a win.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

With 10 minutes to go in a game, when opponents are sitting on a total of 4 meager fouls, my recommendation is: Get Perry into the game. Pump the ball to Perry as often as possible. Perry might not score, but Perry is going to get fouled. He is a freshman who could design a banquet off those morsels.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

p.s. I have tried to edit this entry, which does not want to enter as I wrote it. I give up.

Hawkamania 1 year, 8 months ago

All 3 of the refs in this game mainly work in the SEC.

Take that for whatever its worth.