Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jayhawks land commitment from Hawaii LB, teammate of highly sought after offensive lineman

It could be merely a coincidence or there might be more to it. But either way, the Kansas University football team picked up some good news from Honolulu on Thursday, when St. Louis High linebacker Colton Goeas orally committed to Charlie Weis’ Jayhawks.

Goeas, 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, is a high school teammate of four-star offensive line prospect Reeve Koehler, who is expected to announce his decision on Saturday. Koehler has narrowed his final four to Arkansas, Cal, Kansas and Tennessee.

Weis and KU offensive line coach Tim Grunhard made multiple trips to Hawaii to recruit the school and, even if Koehler elects to go a different direction, the mileage now seems worth it.

Goeas, a three-star prospect, chose KU over offers from Hawaii, Tennessee, UCLA and Washington State. Throughout the recruiting process, teammates and analysts went on record saying that Koehler and Goeas were a packaged deal. Until the Volunteers fired head coach Derek Dooley, Tennessee was believed to be the destination for both. Now, the Jayhawks have landed one and, in a matter of hours, could add the other as well.

Goeas becomes the 25th member of KU’s current recruiting class. Ten of those prospects — all midyear junior-college transfers — signed letters of intent in December and are expected to arrive on campus in time for the start of the spring semester and spring practice.

The remaining pick-ups will arrive this summer.

Goeas’ addition leaves two available spots in KU’s Class of 2013, which Weis has said multiple times can sign up to 27 players, the annual maximum of 25 and two that can be counted backward to last year’s class.

Koehler, 6-3, 280, said earlier this week that he likely would announce his decision at this weekend’s U.S. Army All-Star Game.

Comments

1 year, 8 months ago

Mele Kalikimaka indeed! :^)

mphawk27 1 year, 8 months ago

I was just in Hawaii three days ago, so I'm going to go ahead and take credit for this one. You're welcome Charlie....RCJH!

jhawk613 1 year, 8 months ago

Who are you and what have you done with the incessant cynic that is njjayhawk?

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

The Ducks are good . . . and fun to watch. Great, great Game Day in Eugene.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope Goeas and Samson Faifili can play OLB as well, because we're already pretty deep at MLB with Schyler Miles and Ben Heeney.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

Hadn't noticed Colton before, but ESPN has him listed as a78, whic is the same raing as Miles last year. What a difference a year makes. Last year Miles was definitely the top recruit, while this year Colton is one of several as good (/ESPN) and definitely not the top recruit. It would be really great if he came with a built in roomie.

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Heeney could play outside. Miles not fast enough. (IMHO)

texasjayhawk91 1 year, 8 months ago

ESPN lists Koehler at 6'4" 320...Rivals has him 40 lbs lighter and an inch shorter. I'd probably go with the ESPN measurables...seem more accurate. Goeas plus Koehler and maybe Romar, Finnin or Jarmon to fill out the class would be phenomenal (preferably Romar or Jarmon, we have enough OL commits)

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd prefer the 6'8 330 pound Matt Finnin over Romar. Next year along the DL we have Combs, Johnson, Tavai, Agostino, Goodman, Bolton, Williams, Young, Willis, Stowers, and Tyler Holmes coming off his redshirt, whereas at LT we only have Spencer, Lewandowski, Connolly, Fondal, and Beckmann. Of those 3 I'm sure we'd all prefer Jarmon, but I think he's down to Oregon State and TTU.

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope Jarmon watched the Oregon St bowl game. Riley is one of the worst game day coaches in BCS. How bad? Worse than the Mad Hatter!

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 8 months ago

Goeas should stand alone in the title line. I'd remove everything from the comma. Hope we get his teamate as a bonus.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Until you said something I didn't even think about it. But it's a really good point. I hope they change it, because it does seem a little disrespectful.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

That is absolutely great news, but I have a question on available offers.

Matt, you note Weis has said 27 total, but is the 27 total still a solid # given Luhrsen will not be returning?

And did Weis ever actually break down the 27 offers into 2 for 2012 and 25 for 2013? I've never seen such a breakdown attributed to Weis in the media before today. I had come to assume it was actually "3 for 2012", for scholarships not used for Erick McGriff (July loss), Jon Shelby (August loss) and Ty McKinney.

Or did I miss KU giving McGriff's scholarship to someone else for 2012?

Here's my player by player count:

Not returning for 2013 (graduating, leaving program, etc.) Bakare, Tunde Beshears, D.J. Brown, Greg Burton, Ryan Crist, Dayne Hawkinson, Tanner Hawks, Brandon Luhrsen, Luke Marrongelli, Trevor McDonald, Anthony McDougald, Bradley Opurum, Toben Patmon, Tyler Patterson, Daymond Pick, Kale Powell, Corrigan Ragone, Mike Richardson, Josh Smith, Lubbock Williams, John Williams, Josh Zlatnik, Duane

22 initial counter offers available for 2013

There were 3 walk-ons given scholarships in 2012 -- Justin Carnes, Ron Doherty, Shane Smith -- but it's not clear if any of those awards count as "initial offers". If none of them do, then KU has 22+3=

25 total initial offers for 2013 +3 for 2012 28 total

And 3 offers left for 2013.

Lawkan 1 year, 8 months ago

The rules only allow 25 scholarships per year. They can have 27 because they only signed 23 last year. If you had 40 seniors you would still only be able to sign 25 guys.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, I know that. Actually, in looking at NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6, I realized that I was right in 28, but for the wrong reason.

Since McGriff was not an initial counter for 2012, his loss did not free up another space in the initial counter cap . HOWEVER -- under 15.5.6.3.8 Returning Two-Year Transfer. [FBS/FCS], Dexter McDonald does not count as an initial counter, only against the 85 total counter cap. That means Weis & Co still have 3 scholarships left out of the 27, and McDonald is a +1 to the 27.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

BTW, Lawkan, my initial response came off sharper than I intended, sorry. Ticked at my error, let it slip into my reply, my bad.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought that you were able to give 25 scholarships to new signees every year (Juco and High School). If you were not able to use 25, you can carry 2 over to the next year. This is what happened, meaning last year we used 23 or less (even if you only used 15, you couldn't carry over 10). You can only have 85 total scholarships each year. Therefore, if you haven't used all of your scholarships you can give scholarships to walk-ons that aren't new. If you look at the football program, a lot of the players will red-shirt, transfer, and so forth, so KU can usually get away with 20-25 scholarships every year and never go over the 85.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

quote: (even if you only used 15, you couldn't carry over 10)

Actually, in reviewing the bylaws again, we could count 10 toward the current year if that was the number of unused initial counters remaining and we had room under the annual total counter cap of 85. We have talked 2 unused initial counters for each of the last two years simply because that happened to be the # for KU each of the past two years. Here's the relevant bylaw --

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering After Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.8) by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received. (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Based on the above, if a program only used 15 initial counters for Fall entrants, it could use 10 more for Spring or Summer entrants, as long as the 85 total counter limit for the academic year is not exceeded.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 8 months ago

You are right.

However, I do think that there is a limit in one year that can be taken, but that might be a conference total.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

And as long as we're being borderline racist, let's go ahead and say More Polynesians - more Spam sales.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

trojan - I flagged my own stupid comment for removal and they didn't do it. I was pretty sure you didn't mean anything by it, but at first glance, it looked bad to me. Like saying, more black basketball players = more wins.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 8 months ago

It amazes me how insure Kansas Jayhawk fans are that they want to root against their own homestate team K-State.

When Nebraska is not playing Oklahoma --then they root for Oklahoma...

When KU is not playing K-State --then they should root for K-State.

The Big 12 should be united against all others.

To root for Oregon seems Un-American!

Brak 1 year, 8 months ago

Forget that, I still remember watching the tourny game where we lost to Northern Iowa and there were a bunch of Kstate fans there cheering on UNI and rubbing it in to all the KU fans after we lost and just being jerks. They do not cheer for us EVER, so why should we have to cheer for them? Telling a fanbase who they should root for other than their team is whats Un-American.

bad_dog 1 year, 8 months ago

And let's not forget K-state fans chanting "Beat KU" alongside the Mizzery football players & their fans after the Mildcats lost to the tiggers at the Snyder Family Fun Palace back in '07...

Agreed Brak.

They don;'t deserve our support or mercy. I admire all the KU fans on here advocating good sportsmanship and Big XII comradery....but these people would never, if their lives depended on it, support KU in any capacity.

Reap what you sow.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

So if Missouri were still in the Big 12 would you root for them against non-conference teams?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

The only times i've EVER rooted for Missery is when it would be to Kansas' advantage. Even then, I've never really rooted FOR them, but against their opponent.

Grudgingly.

Mike Plank 1 year, 8 months ago

Jayhawker111, I'm sorry, but that's an ignorant post. If you're a true KU fan, you absolutely CANNOT root for KState EVER. KState doing well hurts KU. KState winning Big 12 football titles hurts KU football. KState winning bowl games hurts KU football. I never, EVER, root for KSU unless it somehow helps out KU - like in the standings or something like that. I will also never root for MU, A&M, Neb, or Col.

And, I also will remind you of the UNI loss. Or the VCU loss. Or any of the "Killer B" losses. Were KState fans "nice" to you after that?

Displayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Mikeville, I'm sorry, but this is an ignorant post. I was pulling for K-State last night, and will in the future anytime they are not playing KU. KU does get helped if K-State is playing in a BCS game. We get money! That's why I will root for any Big 12 team when they aren't playing KU. What I have found is that every school (KU included) has idiots who are so short-sighted that they won't give any credit to any other school. That being said, I don't root for MisSOURi or Nebraska, but I will root for the Colorado basketball team because Tad Boyle is their coach. I guess that's why this is the greatest country in the world! We are free to root for whatever team we choose.

Mike Plank 1 year, 8 months ago

That's ridiculous. KState winning in NO WAY helps KU, EVER (unless, as previously mentioned, it somehow helps KU in the standings). We get money if Texas Tech or Iowa State goes to the Fiesta Bowl, too, and I would MUCH rather see those teams there than KState. I don't have a problem with respecting KState or Snyder - in, fact, I very much do respect him. But that doens't mean I have to LIKE him or ROOT for him, especially when doing so hurts my school in many ways, but most importantly in national perception, and recruiting.

You are free to root for whoever you choose... I just think it's "short-sighted" (to use your word) to do so when, if you look just a little deeper, it actually hurts the school that is your "primary" team.

It's been proven. How often have KU and KState been good in football in the same year. Two times? Five times? Probably less than 10, over a period of 100 years. Same deal in basketball. Sure, they were both good in the '80s. But since then? One has been dominant. And before that, they alternated as well.

One team's success, as a general rule, results in (or perhaps is a result of) the other's decline or mediocrity.

sm5561 1 year, 8 months ago

Perceived strength of a conference is important in the BCS. You don't have to root for KState if you don't want to, but no Big 12 football fan should be happy to see the Big 12 champ lose by 18 to the Pac 12 runner up.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, I don't find myself rooting for ALL other conference teams, but KState is different. Brak and RC seem to believe that all KState fans are the same, and in my experience it simply isn't true. THEY may have friends who are merciless and obnoxious, or they may just read the trolls here and count them as "All KState fans", but there are many, many cool KState fans out there who discuss both KU and KState sports with me.

KState and Bill Snyder are worthy of some Kansas respect. I have both family and friends that have graduated from both schools and we root against each other on KU v KState matchups. We talk smack throughout the season. We come up with creative insults, and nicknames for the other school. But we don't act as if it has some higher level of importance, as to ruin a relationship. And it's perfectly natural to root for the other team if they've reached a level that KState reached this year.

I don't root for KState during the season. I'd prefer that they go 0-fer during conference play and suck lake dredge instead of beating us. But they didn't. They kicked our @ss and had a shot at the national title this season. They were representing our conference on a national stage.

When KU played for the title last year, each and every one of these "family and friends" were rooting for KU to beat Kentucky. They weren't waving KU flags or chanting Rock Chalk, but when asked, they would tell you they wanted KU to win.

I don't think there is anything American or UnAmerican about it. It's just human nature. These two schools are closely connected. The rivalry is something we created for fun. It's not war. It's not even Hatfield's and McCoys. It's just fun.

And no raprichard, I could never find myself rooting for Misery. Even with some family who are die hard Tigger fans, we just don't talk about it. It's a point of contention that doesn't belong in the family, so we let it go.

Lucas Town 1 year, 8 months ago

I couldn't agree more with your post. My K-State family members were not rooting for Kentucky last March. The one school that my KU and K-State family members can agree to hate is Missouri. My K-State family say that they cannot stand Pinkle or Quinn Snyder when coached there. Running scared to the SEC was cowardly, hope they enjoy their money because it cost them some W's to their record. I hate Missouri for obvious reasons, they are our worst rival. The trolls and obnoxious fans are the worst, but I don't hate K-State. I prefer to beat them at any sport. My K-State family members sympathized with the KU family members and said it will get better with time. Nothing bad about that.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

The difference usually comes down to if a person is an alum of KSU. I do not know a single KSU alum that cheers for KU in anything. The usual suspect for people that are KSU football fans and KU basketball fans are those who are not alums of either school and neither are their parents. I have no problem cheering against the purple kittens and to be perfectly honest, I don't have all that much respect for Snyder because of the Ell Roberson Fiesta Bowl incident and the way he left KSU after a bad season. KU gets the same slice of pie no matter how KSU did last night there's no reason to cheer for KSU if people don't want to I sure as hell have no reason to.

Agree to disagree KG.

And it's not just my K-State friends....I have some that are tolerble.

But it's the majority of the fanbase. Spend some time in the middle of Kansas, and you'll see. Ignorant rednecks who bleed purple everyday of their lives, and call every KU fan either a rich snob or a homosexual.

Then travel to the east...which has spawned a new breed of Catbacker that I was unaware of until recently: The Johnson County K-State Fans. These are the people who've grown up wealthy in Kansas City, then went to K-State and joined a frat or sorority. They feel they were oppressed by the Jo Co KU majority, and have a vendetta against KU.

Nothing worse than a spoiled rich kid with an inferiority complex. Dangerous combination.

This all may seem like a bit of a stretch, but I've conducted a lot of sociological research on this specific topic.

KGphoto 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes, it's a big stretch. And what makes you think I haven't spent plenty of time in the middle of Kansas? I grew up in Kansas. I have family in Salina, Hutch and Garden City, and I told you I have many family and friends who've graduated in Manhattan.

The rivalry between KSU and KU has ballooned out of a small, and largely inaccurate and exaggerated image of rich and poor. Nothing like the Misery rivalry based on our ancestors beliefs about freedom and slavery.

Would love to see the results of that research you are doing. It sounds very interesting. How did you come on the topic? In this research, how do you define "spoiled" and "rich", and what kind of behavior constitutes an inferiority complex? I would think one could acquire an inferiority complex through name-calling and labeling. You know, stuff like "redneck" for example. That's ironic don't you think?

It's a chicken and egg thing. Which came first RC? The KU snobs or the KSU rednecks? Who threw the first stone? Either way, it's a silly foundation for hatred, which is why I don't get mad when a KSU fan says Snob Hill, and why my KSU friends and family think Silo Tech is a funny nickname.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Matter of geography I suppose. MU / KU was a hatred for most fans. KSU / KU was more of a hatred for me.

Forgive the generalizations, and I apologize if I offended any of your friends or family. I have die-hard K-State relatives too, and they take it to an unhealthy level, and are constantly disrespectful toward myself, my family, and other KU fans 24/7.

So if my point of view seems rather extreme and misguided to you, just keep in mind that it is an opinion derived from experience. Perhaps Garden City was a refuge for western Kansas KU fans, and you didn't experience life in the Manhattan area.

Regardless, I respect your opinion, and I will go no further in voicing mine to you.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

Reuben, did you grow up in Manhattan? I grew up in Riley but was lucky enough to make it to KU. I think my view is somewhere between you and KG. I have many, many friends that went to KSU. Some of them can be obnoxious about KU, but most are pretty cool about the rivalry. In general, I think KSU fans dislike KU fans the way KU fans dislike MU. I think that is where the difference in perception is when it comes to KU fans. We (kind of and occasionally) respect KSU, but KSU fans truly can't stand KU.

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

It's just my observations as well. I spent a TON of time in Manhattan over the years. Keep this on the DL but I dated a wildcat for awhile. Spent time on campus, at basketball and football games. I always found that the rivalry is what we made of it. If I was cool with them, they were cool with me. That's all. Never found that to be true with Misery.

Agreed, ralster.

I mean...it's not like I am actively going out of my way to give them crap or talk trash today. We have very little ground to stand on considering our impressive 1-11 finish. I say "tough luck" and "at least you won the Big XII."

So in that sense, it's not nearly like the MU rivalry.

But since Mizzou left, this thing between us and our little brothers to the west will escalate. And those of you defending their character now, give it 10 years. You'll see their true nature amplified. Then you'll think back to that one time, a decade ago, where some idiot on a message board with a John Wayne nickname warned you.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

What if a victory yesterday helps them beat out KU for a recruit who'll help them beat KU on the field?

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 8 months ago

Fantastic !!! KU will be the team to keep an eye on for the next several years. Thei next season I pray the Hawks will take KST & the Fans behind the woodshed and slap the DOG CRAP out of them both !!! GO KU !!!

Matt, or anyone....

What are the odds that we actually land Koehler? I mean, what kind of rumors are floating around out there?

Jason Keller 1 year, 8 months ago

Koehler is all but committed to KU. He will annonce it this weekend. Those two are attached at the hip.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I heard it's down to us and Arkansas.

Cross your fingers, folks. This would be huge.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

He's down to KU and Tennessee and won't decide at the Army All American Bowl tomorrow.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 8 months ago

The Big 12 should support the Big 12...

Nebraska and Oklahoma historically had a huge rivalry, yet it was one of respect.

Kansas should respect K-State for what they have done this year.

Classy folks respect the Golden Rule that says:

Treat others as you want to be treated.

KU Nation should show K-State how it is to act classy --not stoop to their level!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

Now it's even more appropriate to hate those backstabbing, cheating deserters in Columbia who hopped over the fence for the greener pastures of the SEC and landed squarly in a HUGE PILE OF COW PIES!!!

shottybotch 1 year, 8 months ago

Totally agree. Even if kstate fans dont always return the class (see bball article on kief getting booed in pheonix)

Missouri is a completely different story though, no true kansan could possibly support anything from that state

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

This is why KU fans are better...your three comments. I applaud you.

Wish I could feel the same way.

Eric Dawson 1 year, 8 months ago

I generally do root for the Big 12, and I respect what KState has done, but unless they are playing one of the handful of teams I consistently root against (e.g., mOO or squid's kids in hoops), I cannot root for KState UNLESS it clearly benefits KU in some way. I used to root for them when I was younger (even in the 1988 NCAAs, I wanted them to win, and was ticked we were put in the same bracket so we would have to face them before the FF, if at all). Today, the school and it's programs have their fans to thank for my position.

However, I would not rub their loss into the faces of any of my KState friends or even polite fans I meet in public. Just not right.

But to all the KState jerks that jeered at UNI and VCU and the Killer Bs instead of supporting their fellow Kansans -- You have no condolences from me this day. I enjoy your pain today.
Reap as ye sow, you EMAWing jackasses.

Jack Jones 1 year, 8 months ago

And so....you choose to become that which you find so deplorable. Ah, revenge is such a sweet, satisfying emotion.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Ha. I thought it was funny.

He's right though. They don't support or cheer for us in the NCAA tournament, but the thing is, I don't expect them to.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

Reap as ye sow, you EMAWing jackasses.

I busted up when I read this. Literally, I laughed out loud in my office. As some might say, PHOF!

Mike Plank 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm with Reuben... be as noble as you want... I can't feel the same way. I can't root for them.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

One thing we can expect is incoming players, specifically Marquel Combs, leading the charge on recruiting Koehler.

Come on, boys. Get him here.

bville_hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Since this is a football article I thought I would post this interesting quote from Dexter McDonald who left our program and is now coming back. Full article is on jayhawkslant.com:

McDonald took his official visit during the season and noticed how different the team was under Charlie Weis than under the previous staff.

"It's a complete change," McDonald said. "I would say that it's a real program. There were a lot of problems going on at KU when I played that you couldn't see unless you were part of the team. The level of respect that Coach Weis has and his coaches is different than before. Everybody does what they are told in the classroom and out of the classroom."

McDonald took his year away from KU to shore up his grades, and thinks that being in a more disciplined program will help him stay on track.

"A lot of coaches preach that they care about kids and they want to be a father figure but a lot of coaches don't really show you everything they preach," McDonald said. "The coaches that are up there now do so with that type of support behind you. You can't do nothing but succeed."

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

This is good. Hopefully another indicator of real change.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

To all of you...I apologize for the K-State comments. Call it a cathartic release of deep-seeded disdain derived from years of experience in hostile, purple territory.

I don't condone ripping them in public, or making "choke" comments. But I think it's perfectly reasonable, given the circumstances, for all of us to have a bit of a grin today.

Happy weekend, and Rock Chalk.

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

For the first time all season, I was pulling for KSU last night. Oh, well. Now we can settle in for a winter of KU basketball and the big dance in the spring. I'll be at the spring FB game for sure, BTW.

Steve Brown 1 year, 8 months ago

Don't give a poop about KSU MU or other schools. Support B12 when playing other conferences, it helps us. UNC & Duke. Michigan Ohio State, UCLA USC: yes, we want KSU to be in top 10, just not #1, so Charlie can say come to Kansas, we can and will play for the top prize.

Would have helped B12 if ATM would have won SEC.

Exceptions to the rule: root for B12 teams and teams that recently departed. KSU in a bowl game. MU in any game.

Uh.....

You just advocated rooting for Missouri. I'm all for a differing opinion. but pretty sure you lost much credibility with that one.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

I think he meant that was the exception to the rule, but it does sound like he is advocating for rooting for Missouri. You might want to clear that up, lighthawk. People have been hanged for less.

Ok.

Makes sense, but still too hazy.

741hawk 1 year, 8 months ago

"We're all Kansans, so we root for K-State except when we are playing them. As far as Missouri goes, we hope they lose every damn game." My Dad

Ron Prichard 1 year, 8 months ago

"I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah." - Grampa Simpson, in response to why his American flag only had 49 stars.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

BCS bow wins: KU-1 Cow Chip U-0

Suck it purple pussies, your coach will NEVER win a bowl game that matters. Bill Snyder is awful at prepping his teams for bowl games and his record shows it.

JayHok 1 year, 8 months ago

12 win seasons:

KU - 1 KSU - 0 MU - 0

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 8 months ago

I have to like what I've been reading.
I haven't really seen anyone who has commented on the 2012 football season and our "pitiful" and disappointing" season of 1-11 mention that all 11 teams that beat us went to bowl games (even those some said we should have beaten) and SDSU finished 9-4, going two games into their division playoffs. The last season was SO much better than the previous one, despite the record, than the year before. With the recruiting that Coach Weis and his staff has done, I think we have a great deal to hope for next year. Not that it will be easy, because everyone else seems to get better as well, but we have the potential to be a bowl team, inasmuch as half the D1 teams are able to qualify with .500 records and 35 games to get into.

danmoore 1 year, 7 months ago

The K-State fans I know hate our guts and are not shy about saying it, albeit in a polite and civilized way. I don't reciprocate and ironically, that is another reason why they hate us so much. I was rooting for them last night and to those who are offended by my confession I say, give me time. Eventually I will learn to despise them. Perhaps not in the same fashion in which I reviled mizwho but it will be hate nonetheless.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

"You know we ought to be glad we have Coach Grunhard and Head Coach Weis who brings alot of weight to our program."

That's funny stuff right dere, I don't care who ya are.

hawkdds 1 year, 7 months ago

Hang on to your hate, we very well could face Mizzou in the NCAA tournament!

Jack Joiner 1 year, 7 months ago

I was just watching Army All American Bowl pre game and they listed 6 players who were going to announce today and Koehler was not one of them. Waht's up?

TheBoHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Was wondering the same thing.

omari1911 1 year, 7 months ago

He postponed and is takin an official to Arkansas.

troutsee 1 year, 7 months ago

Hate Mizzourah!!

Dislike KSU!!

Could never root for either one...ever...unless they play each other an then dislike trumps hate.

This coaching staff has doen a heck of a job recruiting this year and hopefully we will also get the 4 star lineman from Hawaii too.

CrystalJones 1 year, 7 months ago

Ha ha...no worries about K-State in the future....ever. This is when Bucktooth Bill usually fades...one year after winning a conference championship. Then it all goes downhill. The difference this time is that 70 miles to the east, Charlie (3 SB Rings) Weis is building a monster, one that will not only dominate K-Suck, but the entire conference. Just wait and see.

The Big 12 has never had a coach with as much ability and football intelligence, nor has it ever seen a staff of experienced assistants like this one. Just incredible, IMHO. Weis, Camp, Grunhard...sheesh. Scary good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: KU wins the Big 12 in 2013 and competes for a NC.

troutsee 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow. I told my brother that we will finish in the top four of the conference but to win it all....geeez I hope you are right. Agree with your lauding of the coaching staff. We will definitely have the horses this year. The QB has to come through as do the O line replacements.

Jackster 1 year, 7 months ago

Koehler commits to the Hogs By: Richard Davenport Published: Saturday, January 19, 2013 Honolulu St. Louis high school offensive lineman Reeve Koehler, 6-3, 315, 5.2 has committed to Arkansas.

Big loss for KU. Arkansas has quite a story to tell with their current and planned athletic facilities. They are 2nd to none and the fan support is unbelievable. I bet Colton Goeas joins him if the Razorbacks offer.