Thursday, January 3, 2013

Jayhawks land commitment from Hawaii LB, teammate of highly sought after offensive lineman

It could be merely a coincidence or there might be more to it. But either way, the Kansas University football team picked up some good news from Honolulu on Thursday, when St. Louis High linebacker Colton Goeas orally committed to Charlie Weis’ Jayhawks.

Goeas, 6-foot-2, 245 pounds, is a high school teammate of four-star offensive line prospect Reeve Koehler, who is expected to announce his decision on Saturday. Koehler has narrowed his final four to Arkansas, Cal, Kansas and Tennessee.

Weis and KU offensive line coach Tim Grunhard made multiple trips to Hawaii to recruit the school and, even if Koehler elects to go a different direction, the mileage now seems worth it.

Goeas, a three-star prospect, chose KU over offers from Hawaii, Tennessee, UCLA and Washington State. Throughout the recruiting process, teammates and analysts went on record saying that Koehler and Goeas were a packaged deal. Until the Volunteers fired head coach Derek Dooley, Tennessee was believed to be the destination for both. Now, the Jayhawks have landed one and, in a matter of hours, could add the other as well.

Goeas becomes the 25th member of KU’s current recruiting class. Ten of those prospects — all midyear junior-college transfers — signed letters of intent in December and are expected to arrive on campus in time for the start of the spring semester and spring practice.

The remaining pick-ups will arrive this summer.

Goeas’ addition leaves two available spots in KU’s Class of 2013, which Weis has said multiple times can sign up to 27 players, the annual maximum of 25 and two that can be counted backward to last year’s class.

Koehler, 6-3, 280, said earlier this week that he likely would announce his decision at this weekend’s U.S. Army All-Star Game.

Comments

Jackster 1 year, 3 months ago

Koehler commits to the Hogs By: Richard Davenport Published: Saturday, January 19, 2013 Honolulu St. Louis high school offensive lineman Reeve Koehler, 6-3, 315, 5.2 has committed to Arkansas.

Big loss for KU. Arkansas has quite a story to tell with their current and planned athletic facilities. They are 2nd to none and the fan support is unbelievable. I bet Colton Goeas joins him if the Razorbacks offer.

troutsee 1 year, 3 months ago

Wow. I told my brother that we will finish in the top four of the conference but to win it all....geeez I hope you are right. Agree with your lauding of the coaching staff. We will definitely have the horses this year. The QB has to come through as do the O line replacements.

CrystalJones 1 year, 3 months ago

Ha ha...no worries about K-State in the future....ever. This is when Bucktooth Bill usually fades...one year after winning a conference championship. Then it all goes downhill. The difference this time is that 70 miles to the east, Charlie (3 SB Rings) Weis is building a monster, one that will not only dominate K-Suck, but the entire conference. Just wait and see.

The Big 12 has never had a coach with as much ability and football intelligence, nor has it ever seen a staff of experienced assistants like this one. Just incredible, IMHO. Weis, Camp, Grunhard...sheesh. Scary good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: KU wins the Big 12 in 2013 and competes for a NC.

troutsee 1 year, 3 months ago

Hate Mizzourah!!

Dislike KSU!!

Could never root for either one...ever...unless they play each other an then dislike trumps hate.

This coaching staff has doen a heck of a job recruiting this year and hopefully we will also get the 4 star lineman from Hawaii too.

Jack Joiner 1 year, 3 months ago

I was just watching Army All American Bowl pre game and they listed 6 players who were going to announce today and Koehler was not one of them. Waht's up?

hawkdds 1 year, 3 months ago

Hang on to your hate, we very well could face Mizzou in the NCAA tournament!

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 3 months ago

"You know we ought to be glad we have Coach Grunhard and Head Coach Weis who brings alot of weight to our program."

That's funny stuff right dere, I don't care who ya are.

JHWKDW 1 year, 3 months ago

But also we have been doing alot of recruitment from Hawaii in another sport at Kansas, and that is our Baseball coach Rich Price seems to get a recruit or 2 from Hawaii all the time. Kansas seems to have a strong Hawaii connection. I love it.

danmoore 1 year, 3 months ago

The K-State fans I know hate our guts and are not shy about saying it, albeit in a polite and civilized way. I don't reciprocate and ironically, that is another reason why they hate us so much. I was rooting for them last night and to those who are offended by my confession I say, give me time. Eventually I will learn to despise them. Perhaps not in the same fashion in which I reviled mizwho but it will be hate nonetheless.

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 3 months ago

I have to like what I've been reading.
I haven't really seen anyone who has commented on the 2012 football season and our "pitiful" and disappointing" season of 1-11 mention that all 11 teams that beat us went to bowl games (even those some said we should have beaten) and SDSU finished 9-4, going two games into their division playoffs. The last season was SO much better than the previous one, despite the record, than the year before. With the recruiting that Coach Weis and his staff has done, I think we have a great deal to hope for next year. Not that it will be easy, because everyone else seems to get better as well, but we have the potential to be a bowl team, inasmuch as half the D1 teams are able to qualify with .500 records and 35 games to get into.

JayHok 1 year, 3 months ago

12 win seasons:

KU - 1 KSU - 0 MU - 0

texashawk10 1 year, 3 months ago

BCS bow wins: KU-1 Cow Chip U-0

Suck it purple pussies, your coach will NEVER win a bowl game that matters. Bill Snyder is awful at prepping his teams for bowl games and his record shows it.

741hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

"We're all Kansans, so we root for K-State except when we are playing them. As far as Missouri goes, we hope they lose every damn game." My Dad

Steve Brown 1 year, 3 months ago

Don't give a poop about KSU MU or other schools. Support B12 when playing other conferences, it helps us. UNC & Duke. Michigan Ohio State, UCLA USC: yes, we want KSU to be in top 10, just not #1, so Charlie can say come to Kansas, we can and will play for the top prize.

Would have helped B12 if ATM would have won SEC.

Exceptions to the rule: root for B12 teams and teams that recently departed. KSU in a bowl game. MU in any game.

riverdrifter 1 year, 3 months ago

For the first time all season, I was pulling for KSU last night. Oh, well. Now we can settle in for a winter of KU basketball and the big dance in the spring. I'll be at the spring FB game for sure, BTW.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 3 months ago

To all of you...I apologize for the K-State comments. Call it a cathartic release of deep-seeded disdain derived from years of experience in hostile, purple territory.

I don't condone ripping them in public, or making "choke" comments. But I think it's perfectly reasonable, given the circumstances, for all of us to have a bit of a grin today.

Happy weekend, and Rock Chalk.

bville_hawk 1 year, 3 months ago

Since this is a football article I thought I would post this interesting quote from Dexter McDonald who left our program and is now coming back. Full article is on jayhawkslant.com:

McDonald took his official visit during the season and noticed how different the team was under Charlie Weis than under the previous staff.

"It's a complete change," McDonald said. "I would say that it's a real program. There were a lot of problems going on at KU when I played that you couldn't see unless you were part of the team. The level of respect that Coach Weis has and his coaches is different than before. Everybody does what they are told in the classroom and out of the classroom."

McDonald took his year away from KU to shore up his grades, and thinks that being in a more disciplined program will help him stay on track.

"A lot of coaches preach that they care about kids and they want to be a father figure but a lot of coaches don't really show you everything they preach," McDonald said. "The coaches that are up there now do so with that type of support behind you. You can't do nothing but succeed."

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 3 months ago

One thing we can expect is incoming players, specifically Marquel Combs, leading the charge on recruiting Koehler.

Come on, boys. Get him here.

CWGOKU 1 year, 3 months ago

"This, that: More than 1,200 Kansas State fans, who attended Wednesday’s Phoenix Suns-Philadelphia game in Phoenix, booed former KU forward Markieff Morris of the Suns during the game. The KSU fans were in Phoenix for Thursday’s Fiesta Bowl."

From another article here

Jayhawker111 1 year, 3 months ago

The Big 12 should support the Big 12...

Nebraska and Oklahoma historically had a huge rivalry, yet it was one of respect.

Kansas should respect K-State for what they have done this year.

Classy folks respect the Golden Rule that says:

Treat others as you want to be treated.

KU Nation should show K-State how it is to act classy --not stoop to their level!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, or anyone....

What are the odds that we actually land Koehler? I mean, what kind of rumors are floating around out there?

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 3 months ago

Fantastic !!! KU will be the team to keep an eye on for the next several years. Thei next season I pray the Hawks will take KST & the Fans behind the woodshed and slap the DOG CRAP out of them both !!! GO KU !!!

Jayhawker111 1 year, 3 months ago

It amazes me how insure Kansas Jayhawk fans are that they want to root against their own homestate team K-State.

When Nebraska is not playing Oklahoma --then they root for Oklahoma...

When KU is not playing K-State --then they should root for K-State.

The Big 12 should be united against all others.

To root for Oregon seems Un-American!

Eric Dawson 1 year, 3 months ago

That is absolutely great news, but I have a question on available offers.

Matt, you note Weis has said 27 total, but is the 27 total still a solid # given Luhrsen will not be returning?

And did Weis ever actually break down the 27 offers into 2 for 2012 and 25 for 2013? I've never seen such a breakdown attributed to Weis in the media before today. I had come to assume it was actually "3 for 2012", for scholarships not used for Erick McGriff (July loss), Jon Shelby (August loss) and Ty McKinney.

Or did I miss KU giving McGriff's scholarship to someone else for 2012?

Here's my player by player count:

Not returning for 2013 (graduating, leaving program, etc.) Bakare, Tunde Beshears, D.J. Brown, Greg Burton, Ryan Crist, Dayne Hawkinson, Tanner Hawks, Brandon Luhrsen, Luke Marrongelli, Trevor McDonald, Anthony McDougald, Bradley Opurum, Toben Patmon, Tyler Patterson, Daymond Pick, Kale Powell, Corrigan Ragone, Mike Richardson, Josh Smith, Lubbock Williams, John Williams, Josh Zlatnik, Duane

22 initial counter offers available for 2013

There were 3 walk-ons given scholarships in 2012 -- Justin Carnes, Ron Doherty, Shane Smith -- but it's not clear if any of those awards count as "initial offers". If none of them do, then KU has 22+3=

25 total initial offers for 2013 +3 for 2012 28 total

And 3 offers left for 2013.

Fortesque Beagleton 1 year, 3 months ago

What a terrible headline. Somebody ought to fix it before Mr Goeas reads it and finds out that the LJWorld thinks he's the chopped liver to Koehler's caviar. I mean, did we not just steal him away from Tennessee, a (historically) pretty decent SEC team? Sure, we all hope that he's part of a package deal, but lets not discount his own merits.

texasjayhawk91 1 year, 3 months ago

ESPN lists Koehler at 6'4" 320...Rivals has him 40 lbs lighter and an inch shorter. I'd probably go with the ESPN measurables...seem more accurate. Goeas plus Koehler and maybe Romar, Finnin or Jarmon to fill out the class would be phenomenal (preferably Romar or Jarmon, we have enough OL commits)

Boouk 1 year, 3 months ago

I hope Goeas and Samson Faifili can play OLB as well, because we're already pretty deep at MLB with Schyler Miles and Ben Heeney.

Janet Scott 1 year, 3 months ago

Very good news, but the only real package deal that is certain is: if you sign Snow White, you get the Seven Dwarfs, too.

KU football is on the rise!

mphawk27 1 year, 3 months ago

I was just in Hawaii three days ago, so I'm going to go ahead and take credit for this one. You're welcome Charlie....RCJH!

1 year, 3 months ago

Mele Kalikimaka indeed! :^)