Originally published January 2, 2013 at 09:10a.m., updated January 2, 2013 at 11:56p.m.

KU offensive lineman Luke Luhrsen won’t play football in 2013

Kansas linebacker Michael Reynolds (55) chases after running back James Sims (29) during the second half of the Spring Game on Saturday, April 28, 2012 at Kivisto Field. At left is white team offensive lineman Luke Luhrsen.

When Kansas University kicks off spring football practice in a couple of months, it will do so with just 13 players remaining from the 2011 recruiting class that ranked 34th in the country.

The group that included such gems as Tony Pierson, Ben Heeney and Jake Love, dropped another member Wednesday, when KU released the news that offensive lineman Luke Luhrsen, a red-shirt freshman from Wheaton, Ill., was leaving the team.

“I have decided to give up football to concentrate on my academics,” Luhrsen said in a statement. “I appreciate the Jayhawk community, as well as my teammates and coaches, for all of the support I have received during my time with the program. It has been an unforgettable experience and an incredible opportunity. I will continue to support the program and I will always be proud to be a Jayhawk.”

After red-shirting in 2011, Luhrsen, 6-foot-3, 305 pounds, made his KU debut in the Jayhawks’ 21-17 loss to Texas. He also played in losses to Iowa State and West Virginia and finished the season as a second-string left guard on KU’s depth chart.

He becomes the 14th member — and second offensive lineman — in his signing class to leave KU, joining such names as Brock Berglund, Darrian Miller, Collin Garrett and Dreamius Smith on the list of once-promising prospects whose Kansas careers never got going.

“Luke was a valuable asset to our team,” coach Charlie Weis said. “And we wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Koehler close?

One of the top remaining targets on KU’s wish list in the Class of 2013 might be close to revealing his decision.

Reeve Koehler, a 6-3, 280-pound, four-star offensive guard from St. Louis High in Honolulu, recently told Adam Gorney of Rivals.com that he could make a decision this weekend at the U.S. Army All-America Bowl.

Koehler said he would like to commit at the game because his brother, Solomon, did the same thing when he picked Arizona in 2010.

Arkansas, Cal, KU and Tennesse make up Koehler’s final four.

Comments

Jacob Zutterman 1 year, 7 months ago

Good luck Luke! We wish you nothing but the best on your future!

Steve Reigle 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish him the best in his future. I'm glad he's finishing his degree at KU.

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Best of luck to Luke in all his future endeavours. Glad he will remain at KU, quite obviously a class individual from all that's been said and reported. 4.2 GPA in high school. Taking a look at his highlight reel, he obviously was pretty good. Listed at three stars but had really nice footwork, pulled a lot and drove and knocked HS players on their tails, freeing the running back often.

Also says something about the type of four and five star game ready players Weis is bringing in. I truly think this is a concern from Luke's perspective about playing time.

If he really wants to play football, he can always reconsider in the next couple months. I do agree with him on one point. Weis has brought in players who may get in the way of Luke starting. If Luke really wants to play he'll rejoin the team, there's a place for him.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

There are few 4 star recruits, and no 5* recruits, so no one is in his way from that perspective. Is there competition? Sure, but that's just part of the game. I'm not seeing anywhere that Luke comments about competition being a concern, so not sure how you could agree with him.

As one who made the same decision many decades ago, best of luck to you Luke.

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Dagger I see what you're saying and you make a good point. Clearly Luke didn't say anything in regards to the increased competition. I think we have at least two 5 star starters next year on offense. You might be right that we don't have a 5 star on the offensive line. I thought we did. Anyhow the talent has increased dramatically in about a month. Even though Luke said the right things I find it hard to believe this doesn't have to do with playing time. Let's put it this way. If he was guaranteed a starting spot next year with a shot at getting drafted would he still be making this decision.

He very well could have a change of heart and I support that if he does. Hopsopple runs a tough offseason from what I have read!

Dale Kroening 1 year, 6 months ago

Im guessing your talking about Heaps and the wr from OU.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

He's a RSF that played in a few games at the end of the year. That's a far cry from "a shot at getting drafted". His business degree will definitely help him be successful like the rest of his family.

JayHok 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes I was thinking Heaps and McKay, both 5 stars.

Although looking at Pierson he couldn't have missed being a 5 star by much.

offline 1 year, 6 months ago

Come on Kansas ST. just make a good showing is all we ask. Winning the game would be a long shot but, just make them(Oregon) work for it.

troutsee 1 year, 6 months ago

We just got a committment from an outstanding line backer from Hawaii who decommitted from Tennessee and committed to us