Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Go. Tonight. Really. Don’t miss chance to see Angel Goodrich

Senior point guard Angel Goodrich has come a long way to lead the Jayhawks despite being sidelined by injury throughout stretches of her career.

photo

Almost every person of advanced age asked the question, “Any regrets?” has a response that resembles, “I don’t regret anything I did, only what I could have done and didn’t.”

Decades from now, don’t be that voice with woulda-shoulda-coulda sadness lamenting, “I wish I had seen Angel Goodrich laser a no-look pass in Allen Fieldhouse.”

The planet’s most entertaining below-the-rim basketball player, Goodrich leads the Jayhawks into their Big 12 opener today at 7 p.m. against Kansas State. Thousands of tickets are available. Buy one, have a seat, and good luck trying to convince yourself you won’t want to return to see her again, because once simply isn’t enough.

After tonight, just eight more Allen Fieldhouse opportunities remain to see the athlete who sees more than everyone else on the court.

“It’s unpredictable, for sure,” center Carolyn Davis said of Goodrich’s game. “One minute she’s walking it up the court, and the next minute she’s running it down your throat. And she can find people in the lane that other point guards can’t find.”

Goodrich, The First Lady of Basketball Magic, is far from a one-woman act.

Soon, senior classmates Monica Engelman (998 career points) and Goodrich (928) will join Davis (1,485) as 1,000-point scorers. To the best of her recollection, ninth-year Kansas coach Bonnie Henrickson never has had three quadruple-digit scores at the same time. Having so much experience should come in handy in games decided late.

“That’s true,” Henrickson said. “Angel’s hit game-winners, Monica’s hit game-winners, and Carolyn’s hit game-winners.”

On paper, tonight shouldn’t come down to a game-winning shot, given that KU (9-2) has the home-court advantage and is ranked No. 21 in the nation. Less experienced, smaller K-State (9-3) is not among those receiving votes.

But so often this rivalry is decided late and usually goes the way of K-State, led by 17th-year coach Deb Patterson. Henrickson is 2-15 versus the Wildcats and has lost the last four.

“A lot of us, especially the upperclassmen, not being able to take them down the last couple of years, we do use that as motivation,” Goodrich said. “They’re a great team, and they play well together.”

The forecast indicates the roads should be clear with no snow falling. In Goodrich and Davis, KU has two players on all the preseason Player of the Year watch lists. Finally, Henrickson has built a Big 12 winner, but will anybody come?

“We don’t know what to expect,” said Goodrich, the most compelling reason to watch. “Whether it’s one person watching or 10,000, you have to be ready to play the game.”

And Goodrich’s teammates must be ready to catch her passes because they arrive at unpredictable times through lanes only her magical eyes can see.

Comments

MinnesotaJay 1 year, 10 months ago

Other reasons to go are (1) you'll get great seats, and (2) even if you have to buy tickets, the prices are so cheap, they're almost a joke. Be magnanimous. Take your family!

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

I was one of the fortunate ones who got to see Lynette Woodard play on a regular basis. I wish I could be there to see Angel, as she sounds like she's in (or at least close to) Lynette's league.

One quibble: Mr. Keegan, let me introduce you to the concept of the comma. For example, "Almost every person of advanced age asked the question, 'Any regrets?'" makes it sound as if almost every person of advanced age was asking someone else the question. Putting a comma after the word "age" would make your sentence much more clear.

KU79 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you new? Criticizing Keegan's columns and writing style is like a cottage industry around here.

Ray Winger 1 year, 10 months ago

I almost fell over....laughing,,,,except,,,,I was in a chair.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

I suppose you're like most people these days, PwopellewCap, in that you don't expect professional journalists to be able to master basic punctuation. But some of us still have standards that we expect to see.

Carolyn Troupe 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sorry, actorman, but the bigger problem is overuse of the comma. I see your point and would suggest that a comma after "age" would require a comma after "regrets" as well. Otherwise, the sentence might be more confusing. Taken in context, I don't think the comma is necessary to correct understanding of the sentence.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Will ALL due respect to Ms. Goodrich - if, decades from now, one of my only regrets is that I didn't get a chance to see her play - I think I'll be pretty darned content.

I would have liked to seen Wilt in person though..................

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure it's going to be a bigger regret that you still haven't gotten over being a chauvinistic prick.

Missing the chance to watch the absolute best (at anything) is silly and short-sighted. Bragging about it is just stupid.

dragonwagon2 1 year, 10 months ago

Let's rock the fieldhouse tonight! This team will be ready to play.

Nick, nice commentary on Angel and her abilities.

It's time we send those Wildcats home with their tails between their legs.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

Lash 1 year, 10 months ago

Sounds like these women would be undefeated if they had played all home games. Won't be afraid of rematches. Proud of the ladies and coaches! Go Hawks!

Mick Allen 1 year, 10 months ago

2 and 15 against KSU. HCBH better beat them twice this year. The jury is still out on whether she should coach this team in 2013 and 2014 and thereafter. No NCAA tournament invite, no job.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

I regret I had the chance to talk to record miler Jim Ryan when I had the opportunity, and I didn't.

I regret I didn't walk-on the football team and scrimmage John Zook.

I regret I fouled Jo Jo White in a pick-up game in Robinson...he then humiliated me by hitting 6 straight bombs right in my face.

I regret I've never seen a LadyHawks game.

I will regret not wishing everyone a Happy New Year right now, so Happy New Year all and go Hawks, both men and women!!!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, I have this big thing going on somewhere else.

Jerry Rockhold 1 year, 10 months ago

Oakville, I had the privilege of talking to Jim Ryun a few years ago at the Kansas Relays. Growing up on a farm in Kansas, he was one of my all-time sports heroes. I introduced my son & we got an autograph & a pic with him. He was very gracious & soft-spoken. He even later sent us another autograph in the mail. A few minutes later, an asst. KU track coach was gracious enough to introduce us to the legenday KU & Olympic gold medal winner, Billy Mills, who was there sitting in the stands. He sat & talked with us for about 15 minutes. He shared his life experiences & values with my oldest son like an uncle giving his favorite nephew sage life advice. It was truly a PRICELESS experience for us.

danno1313 1 year, 10 months ago

I m sorry but I d rather have a prostate exam than watch women's bball. It s BRUTAL.

Ray Winger 1 year, 10 months ago

How old are you? It may be more pleasureable at your age?

Maximus140 1 year, 10 months ago

At some high schools, on occasion, they play the Women's varsity team, followed by the Men's varsity team. Great way to get people in the seats to watch the lady's and school spirit.

Maybe a marketing thought for 1 or two high profiled games in which more butts in the seats would be great and also a key day for lady recruits to come and watch both game.

Sounds like a good idea to me. Anyone else got an idea?

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

They used to do that for every game. I'm not sure why they stopped; perhaps because the women wanted to play games at regular times instead of having to always play them early.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Angel Goodrich is the best basketball player at KU, men or women, and I wish their games at Baylor, TCU, and UT were on Saturdays instead of Wednesday nights so I could go see them because this is the best KU team in a long time.

If you live in the Lawrence area and have small kids, grandkids, nieces, or nephews, take them to a women's gàme at AFH and get there a little early. The pregame atmosphere is geared for younger kids (elementary school age) and adults can check out Booth without it being crowded.

MIZNIT 1 year, 10 months ago

She couldn't walk on to the Penn Valley Men's team... What in the world are you talking about?

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes. I'm quite sure she would humiliate B-Mac one on one........

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Naadir Tharpe can beat Jeff Withey one on one, does that mean Tharpe's a better player than Withey? I can guarantee that anybody who has seen Goodrich play wishes the men's team had a PG with her skill set and talent.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure she's very talented. Tharpe and Withey are both men, so it's kinda not the same comparison. I'm not a sexist pig by any stretch of the imagination, but she's not good enough to compete with MOST men players.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry sir, but you're out of touch with reality. Label anyone you want a "sexist," but you cannot compare her to D-1 NCAA male point guards.

She may be one of the best women PG's in the country, but that does not stack up against men. So whereas I admire your enthusiasm about one of our university's teams, your sanity is severely called into question.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

Would all of you feel better if I changed the wording from best to most TALENTED because she is the most talented basketball player at KU because I'm backing off that statement. Put her court vision, passing ability, and overall play making ability into a man's body that is 6'3" 185 lbs. and you have a top 5 pick in the NBA draft.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

Amazing how many haters are on here criticizing women's basketball. Funny how they despise it so much, yet have the time to read the column and post their nasty comments.

Guys, is it really necessary to feel superior by bashing something else?

John Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, actorman, it is necessary – for quite a few men whose only way to cope with their own inadequacy is to pretend someone else is less adequate. We have a number who are ignorant enough to advertise the situation.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

No one's hating. Jayhawks are Jayhawks, regardless of gender. We support them whether physically, or in spirit.

Unfortunately, though, women's basketball is not an entertaining sport to many spectators. I mean...if you found out that the KU chess team was playing this evening, would you go and watch....or even care?

I want them to be successful, and I hope they are for the good of the university. But I can't honestly tell you that I have any desire to watch.

klineisanazi 1 year, 10 months ago

A conclusion many have reached about KU football as well. Everyone supports them but who can watch that ?

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Reuben, and I realize that many people share it. But I don't see the point of specifically clicking on an article about women's basketball just to rip it and tell everyone how boring it is, or to make a nasty comment. What is the purpose of that, exactly, other than to make yourself feel good about ripping something else that other people may find enjoyable? It's one thing to criticize a coaching decision or have a discussion about a player's ability (or lack thereof), but it makes no sense to simply criticize (or even worse, just make fun of) women's basketball as a whole.

If that's the way you feel, why not simply stay out of the article and let others who are genuinely interested have their say?

djchawk 1 year, 10 months ago

One really good reason to go to the ladies game is to support the team. Ideally, it would also be entertaining for the attendee. But if you consider the thrill the young ladies have by playing for a large crowd, and also consider that may make them play better, those are good enough reasons to spur me to attend, if I lived closer to Lawrence.

The sad thing for me is, despite having season tickets, I live 4 hours away and probably won't see a game this year. And I will regret that.