Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Evan Manning relishes his first KU trey

Evan Manning

Evan Manning

photo

Kansas guard Evan Manning looks to pass inside against Oregon State guard Challe Barton during the first half on Friday, Nov. 30, 2012 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Evan Manning’s three-pointer with a minute remaining in Saturday’s 89-57 victory over American University was Kansas University’s 15th — one off a single-game school record.

“Everyone on our team can shoot,” Manning, KU’s 6-foot-3 freshman out of Free State High and New Hampton (N.H.) Prep, said, expressing no surprise at KU’s 15-of-24 shooting (62.5 percent) from beyond the arc.

“Our guards are great shooters, and our inside guys. Whenever somebody gets open, we want them to shoot because anybody can get hot,” Manning added. “Whenever a team can get hot and keep shooting, you definitely want to do that. We also want to get easy baskets. If we can make threes like that, then do it.”

Six Jayhawks hit threes versus American. Like Manning, fellow freshman Perry Ellis connected on the first three of his college career.

“Making a three felt good after the last one I shot was an airball,” Manning said of an off-target three against Richmond on Dec. 18. “It’s definitely good to make one.”

Evan — son of KU’s all-time leading scorer, Danny Manning — hit a layup with 1:05 left in the Richmond game for his first points as a Jayhawk. His three in the American game came with 58 seconds remaining off a pass from fellow walk-on Tyler Self.

“The fieldhouse is such a familiar place. I practiced here all the time growing up around here. Making a shot here is pretty cool,” said Manning, who visited Allen Fieldhouse a lot during his dad’s nine-year stint as member of Bill Self’s KU staff. Danny has moved to Tulsa, where he’s first-year coach of the Golden Hurricane.

“He is learning on the fly. That can be expected of a first-year coach,” Evan said of Danny, whose Golden Hurricane take a 7-6 record into today’s home game against Buffalo. “He is liking it there and coming into his own. He’s battling quite a few injuries now. He’s enjoying coaching the game and overall experience.”

Evan Manning is also soaking up a lot of information in his first year as a major-college player.

“Coach Self is a basketball genius. I always listen to him,” Manning said. “Definitely Elijah (Johnson, starting point guard) ... he is a great role model the way he plays. He is a great person to look up to. I’m really happy. This is my dream school. I’m glad I came to KU. I love it and have loved every minute of it.”

Manning said that in practice he “guards the 2 or 3 position, so it’s usually Travis (Releford) or Ben (McLemore).”

On offense, Manning says that he usually runs the point.

“Whenever you are point guard, you try to be a leader. Whenever I am on the court, I try to be a general,” said Manning, who averaged just under 10 points and six assists last year for 26-9 New Hampton after averaging 7.3 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 2.4 assists his senior year at Free State High.

He’s the Firebirds’ single-season record-holder for steals with 64.

“We’ve got four great seniors. Each bring something different,” he added of leaders Johnson, Releford, Jeff Withey and Kevin Young. “Kevin knows the offense inside and out. Jeff is the enforcer. Elijah is our floor general, leader. Travis is really playing well, great defender and scorer.”

Of late, everybody has been impressed with backup point guard Naadir Tharpe, who has 22 assists and no turnovers over the last four games.

“I think he is gaining confidence in himself and what coach wants him to do and his abilities,” Manning said. “Everyone on our team knows what he is capable of. It’s no surprise to us, and he’s showing it to everyone else. He can do anything, shoot it, make assists, get to the lane, create havoc.”

Practicing against such talented players has definitely been challenging for Manning.

“I never experienced anything like that prior to college,” Manning said. “I’ve seen practices here, but I’d not been on the court. It’s a whole different ballgame when you are out there. It’s physical, fast — first one on the floor (for loose balls) — whoever gets it, it is a momentum builder.”

Self, who has known Evan for many years, is pleased to be coaching him now.

“He is from Lawrence, Kan., has a fairly-popular last name. Everybody kind of knows his family. This guy is going to make a name for himself.

“He’s an absolute stud,” Self said of Evan in introducing him to campers at last week’s holiday clinic in the fieldhouse.

Comments

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Ed.

Danny.

Evan.

Evan didn't get the Manning inches.

But Evan got the Manning head.

And more hair.

I believe the kid will play point guard 20 mpg his junior or senior seasons.

I don't know why.

He hasn't shown it and its not the family lineage.

There's something about the way he carries himself and can shoot.

I see a Mike Bibby looking to get out from under his dad's shadow.

I see some one who has not yet arced both sides of his personalty due to the famous dad thing.

I see more than a legacy.

But he'll need some luck--a break in the point guard depth.

Go, Evan, go.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

we're still doing that?

-Eager for Manhattan's Annual Whipping.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 8 months ago

Jaybate--I've been believing the same thing lately. I sense something in the way he carries himself. I don't get the same sense from Little Self.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 8 months ago

Why are we talking like Jedi's?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

I have to strongly disagree here .. Evan Manning wasn't even an above average high school player.

The only reason he is on a D-I roster as a walkon is his last name. He might not have even been worthy of playing college ball at a Juco level, much like Tyler Self.

No offense to his mom, but it appears that mom's genes substantially diluted dad's genes.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

His mother is very attractive an smart. They are loving parents. He got a pretty good genetic makeup handed to him.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

And that has to do with basketball ability, how?

Einstein was smart; Katie Holmes is good looking. And most parents love their kids.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

So you think Evan Manning takes over for Naadir Tharpe at PG when Tharpe graduates instead of Connor Frankamp? Don't see that one happening. Manning could end up in the rotation by then, but KU will be in trouble in the back court if that happens because of a complete lack of depth.

Hawk_Star 1 year, 8 months ago

Not much thought put into this, but I think Evan will contribute significant minutes by the time he reaches his 4th or 5th year of eligibility. I would love to see Evan model his game after Brady Morningstar's; calm, poised presence on the floor, doing all of the little things that a majority of fans don't notice.

fansincewilt 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not seeing it. Evan is there to learn from the best. I think he might be envisioning a career in coaching.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

He certainly seems to have inherited his dad's classiness. Hopefully some of the talent has rubbed off on him too.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 8 months ago

For a few games, Evan had more minutes that Rio. Looking at the mop up crew, I see them more as Conference insurance for those with 4 fouls. I could see Evan being one of those that makes a difference for a short spell in the early quarters as he did when Coach was pissed at all of the guards. Jaybate's Bibby comparison could happen for a 3rd and 4th year walk on. A few have been awarded scholarships, like Moody and Nooner. When Evan, Tyler, Nikko and Christian are in the game, it has been a good game.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 8 months ago

I think 20 minutes is a real stretch. With the talent Coach Self keeps bringing in, Evan will never be higher than the #4 PG option. Next year we'll have Tharpe, Rio, Frankamp & Mason. 2014-15 will be Rio, Frankamp, Mason and a couple more top-60 guards. I can't see him passing Frankamp and Mason, maybe Mason but not both. So for him to see 20 min, something will have to happen to the three ahead of him.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 8 months ago

Yes I know that this is way too early. But it is always nice to be in this position with this coach and this team.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

Kentucky a 10 seed? How sweet would that be?

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I have watched Bill Self work his magic on earnest hardworking players whom many of us considered borderline possibilities. Evan appears to be that 'tweener who has cherished the opportunity to have landed in the right place. Sometime down the pike he is going to contribute 15 or 20 minutes of significant play in the realm of Winning Jayhawk Basketball. He has already spent a year at prep school after his h.s. graduation (a la Brady), so by the time he is a college junior he will be nearing the age when the physique and neural connectors are receptive to optimum input/output...on the road to one of those 23 year old seniors whom Bill Self craves. I would not, at this time, discount his future significance.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 8 months ago

Ken Davis picks Ben as Rookie of the Year and Player of the Year.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Thanks for the article. But Davis picked Plumlee as POY. Ben as ROY and #1 pick in NBA draft...based on his surpassing Dan Manning's KU freshman scoring record.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

While on the subject of 3 pt. shooting from walk-on bench players, I am sitting here chuckling about Bill Self's comical exasperation at Tyler's airball in the final half minute of the American game. From his postgame comment, I imagine that the look was directed at his son's mother Cindy. If so, I wish the camera could have caught that moment of parental inneraction!

Steve Kubler 1 year, 8 months ago

"but his mom says she still loves him" Classic!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 8 months ago

I wonder how the Manning/Manning scoring combination ranks right now for NCAA Father/Son totals. I'm guessing pretty high.

Any other Pop/Kid Combos come to mind???

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

Greg McDermott was named 2nd team all-Mid Continent Conference at UNI in 1987, and his son Doug has done pretty well. I can't find Greg's playing statistics though.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Stephen Curry and Dell Curry?

Luke Walton and Bill Walton?

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

C'mon now fellow Hawk fans! Are you really going to omit Kansas Guard Scotter Barry, son of Hall of Famer Rick Barry. Don't forget Rick had a few more kids to hit the court, i.e. Drew, and Brent and ...Jon. Talk about DNA lotto winners!

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 8 months ago

Manning is the only borderline decent walkon at the moment. Roberts is hideous and has no respect for the game and is always chucking the ball or doing dumb fouls. With this group practicing against the scholarship players it probably doesn't help them that much to up the starters game. This is by far the worst group of walkons Self has had but it's his choice who he chooses.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 8 months ago

When Niko shoots he looks like he's trying to push a 100lb water balloon onto the top of a car, it's fugly. I remember Niko making a no look pass to someone and I thought "wow, maybe this kid's got game". I agree with you that the current walk on unit appear's to lacking (to say the least) in games.

I believe in practice these kids are doing everything possible to help. When their put into a game in front of 16,300 screaming fan's, the TV camera's, I can understand the result.

Evan is currently on the roster of the University of Kansas Jayhawk, Kansas University Jayhawk basketball team. Evan's last name happens to be Manning. He is a freshman. I have no idea what Evan will do in the future. I'm happy for him.

KUFan90 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not too worried about them upping the starter's game. That is the job of Tharpe, AW3, Rio, Traylor, Ellis, Wesley...plenty of quality practice talent there.

I like having these walk ons on the team.

KUbsee69 1 year, 8 months ago

"Evan — son of KU’s all-time leading scorer, Danny Manning — ..."

Gary ... this should say "KU Men's all-time leading scorer". Lynette Woodward is KU's all-time leading scorer, with 698 more points than Danny.

nostradavid 1 year, 8 months ago

It's good to remember Lynette, the first female Globetrotter!

rockchalker5 1 year, 8 months ago

This mop up crew might be the worst I've seen at KU. Not trying to disrespect, but they are really hard to watch.

jgkojak 1 year, 8 months ago

Agree, the mop-up crew this year isn't pretty-

Evan is legit, and I think he could be a Morningstar-like player who gets significant minutes as as a Jr/Sr.

But the rest - Niko and Tyler, I am not impressed by what I've seen so far -

however, I think the coach has a right to spend some time w/his son, so I'm not gonna go too hard on the situation

rockchalker5 1 year, 8 months ago

Agreed. They have the right to put whoever they want on the team.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

I love it when a father coaches his son in any endeavor. I coached my son in little league baseball, basketball, football, HS Algebra, etc. It's a time to bond and teach family values. So proud of this team having Evan, Tyler and Niko....plus 4 seniors graduating. Let's hope they can make another run at the titles, i.e. Big 12 and NCAA (forget about that stupid Big 12 tournament).

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

"Everyone on our team can shoot." "Our guards are great shooters." I'm pretty sure Anrio Adams hasn't made a shot beyond 15 feet this season.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I like watching Evan, Tyler, Niko, and Christian Garrett get in at the end of games. Maybe none of those 4 will ever make a difference in a game, who can say now? But it's not their role. Their role is to practice alongside Landen Lucas, Justin Wesley, Rio, AWIII, Perry, and Naadir to help the team to get better. Who really cares if they can contribute in-game this year, the rules are different in practice. They are told to slap, hack, and foul the starting five, and if they are even getting shots off in practice then Bill Self probably is tearing into EJ, Travis, and BMac.

No need in pointing out the walk-ons struggle to score at the end of games. This team has all the depth it needs with 10 contributors in EJ, BMac, Rele, Young, Withey, Naa, Perry, Jam, Rio, AWIII.

I'd love to watch this team scimmage in practice.

And I envision Evan at least surpassing a certain recent scholarship KU guard who's career per 40 minute stats went something like this: 14.8 pts, 5.4 assists, 2.5 steals, 2.3 to.

Jeremy Case played only 5mpg for his career, but he played in some pretty big minutes and some pretty big games in his senior season at KU. I also didn't realize that in his senior year is a/t ratio was 4.7 (28:6)

(http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/kansas/jeremy-case)

He likely would have been much more important on a team like the 08-09 team or the 10-11 team, but he never got "a break in the point guard depth" as Jaybate mentions that Evan will need.

Evan doesn't have near the expectations of Case, largely because Evan is a walk-on who never had eye-popping stats in HS, and Case was on scholarship and billed as a 3pt marksman

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Good stuff, plasticJHawk. Helps keep everything in perspective, multiplyiing a player's stats out to the full 40 minute game. Just imagine Tharpe's numbers in the past five games, in light of 40 minute extension.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

yeah, the per 40 minutes stats can be eye-opening, they also can be fool's gold for anyone playing less than 10 minutes a game. But Tharpe's numbers lately should give us a glimpse of what he's capable of down the road. He's looking more an more like the starting PG in 2013-14.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out in the backcourt next year without EJ, Rele, and likely BMac

Hard to say where the minutes will go with Tharpe, Rio, AWII returning, and the additions of Frankamp, Selden, Greene, and Mason.

My guess is Tharpe and AWIII start, Rio and Selden battle for a starting spot. Frankamp plays 10 - 15 mpg with Tharpe or Rio as primary ball handler. Greene plays 10 mpg subbing in for AWIII and playing some 4 against smaller opponents.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

"jaybate Intelligence Estimate: Temple Owls"

Part 1

Coach: Fran's a man. Posted extensively on him a few days ago. Phillie Baller.

Team: Long, strong and mature 8 man rotation with starting 5 that wins with defense by strangling the perimeter (held opponents to 30% from trey) and guarding the interior hard and strong. Lousy trey shooting team so far, but Fran believes Wyatt and Randall can break out of horrible slumps, or he wouldn't have the pulling the trigger so much.

Achilles Heel: Not a good shooting team at all. 41% FG and 31% 3FG, but they do shoot 73% FTs and despite their length and strength, not an exceptional glass vaccers.

Perimeter: They are as long as we are: 6-4 Wyatt PG, 6-6 Hollis-Jefferson, and 6-6 Scotty Randall, plus 6-2 Will Commings. These guys can match our starters defensively in size and strength and experience. This will be a great test of our manhood and want-to on the perimeter. Ben Mac has never experienced defensive pressure like this before. If they keep shooting lousy, we hold a big edge, but we are do for a down shooting game and they are do for an up one. Trey shooting could be decisive in this game, not because either team will relie on a bunch of treys to win, but rather because who ever gets that rare open look in this game and makes them will have a decisive edge.

Interior: 6-9 230 Anthony Lee starts and shoots 55% FG inside. Fran often goes small at the other big (6-6), but gets 17 mpg out of 6-9 220 Jake O'Brien. O'Brien is really interesting, because he is a step out an pop big shooting 44% from trey on 45 3FGAs. O'Brien apparently can't go huge minutes, but he will definitely pull one of our bigs out to 22 feet. Fran's got a couple of little used 6-10 sticks that could come in an foul a little.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Part 2

Expectation: Our perimeter guys are going to find out what its like to try to offend against themselves. Temple's perimeter guys will put the wood on our guys and try to disrupt them. Could get very muddy. But Jeff is going to make it very tough for a not very good shooting team that depends heavily 55% shooting by their big, Anthony Lee, and on penetration shooting by perimeter guys Wyatt and Randall. If Jeff is on his game, we should win. If Jeff gets in early foul trouble, and Temple will challenge him strong and often early to get him fouled up, then this will be a dog fight that will come down to whether Ben Mac can get untracked against a stifling, banging defense. Temple will probably win if they come out of their trey slump and we have an off day from trey. But I believe KU will shoot back to its average, rather than implode from trey, and I expect our strong inside defense to make it harder for them to score inside, than they can make it harder for us to score inside. This is the kind of game that Perry Ellis, were he not to get too intimidated by the level of violence on the floor, could prove to be a real difference maker with inside scoring.

Conclusion: KU by 10, because of better shooters, stingier inside defense, and Temple has not had to guard this weird new offense KU is running.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

You do know Temple has been playing basketball longer than Kansas (1895 v. 1898) and they just hit 1800 wins, good for about 6th all time. Temple has the players, traditions and local (Philly area) that earms them a regular spot on the KU schedule.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Well, thanks for weighing in here. And as a matter of fact, yes, I do know those factoids, and it is why I wrote extensively about Fran Dunphy a few days back, and wrote extensively about Phillie ball the last time we played Temple. But I bet some of our readers do not know these factoids.

And of course you do understand that Temple is just one cornerstone of Phillie Ball, along with Penn, Nova, La Salle and St. Joseph, right?

And that Fran Dunphy is but one key link to one illustrious strand of Phillie Ball?

But you also know that about the 1956-1982 Phillie Ball coaching renaissance at Penn of Jack McCloskey, Dick Harter, Chuck Daly and Bob Weinhauer?

And about Jack Kraft and Rollie Massimino at Nova?

And Jack Ramsey and Jack McKinney at St. Joseph?

And Paul Westhead, Lefty Irvin, and Speedy Morris at La Salle, right?

Phillie Ball really is a grand tradition.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

You are right on with that. i read Wilt's book (and others), where he mentioned much of that. I'm always fired up when we play Temple, Nova or any of the others and would love to see us playing in Philly regularly.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

Good. I'm glad we aren't wasting a scholarship on him.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

I posted above under jb's original Manning post on Evan Manning .. I won't repost it. But after reading the other posts, please someone tell me how you extrapolate a player that was an average high school player at best becoming a rotation player at KU his junior and senior seasons? Help me with this.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Unexpected early departures and recruiting misses, basically the same way that Justin Wesley ended up in the rotation last year.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Ok, that could be said for anyone.

Wesley was/is a legit D-I player; he was recruited out of high school. Went to Lamar. Had an offer from Tulane. Wesley just isn't a rotation guy at a school like KU. He could actually play at other D-I schools .. like American (Patriot League) or a MEAC team.

Manning had no offers. Not even near the same caliber as Wesley.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not saying they're the same caliber of player, but that's the situation that would have to play out for Manning to end up in the rotation. Let's go ahead and play this out, some people think Manning is good enough to be a rotation player by his junior and senior seasons. If Bill thinks that's a realistic possibility, then Manning likely redshirts next season and because he will not be in the rotation in 2014-15 unless KU gets torpedoed by early departures. The back court (including current walk ons) the next year will include Tharpe, Seldon, White, Greene, Adams???, Frankamp, Mason, Manning, Self, Garrett, and Roberts. In 2014-15, it's the same players minus Roberts for sure and possibly Mason and Adams. Let's say KU doesn't sign any back court players in the 2014 class and Adams and Mason have transferred out, Manning becomes at best the #6 man in the back court. After 2014-15, Tharpe will graduate and let's say Seldon goes early and KU again whiffs on their back court recruiting, then Manning ends up #4 in the back court rotation and is the first guard off the bench. Not a very plausible scenario, but it can happen as we've seen at Texas. KU's also been very fortunate with injuries with Hudy here and that's another way to end up with players on the floor who shouldn't be playing meaningful minutes. The only game Evan Manning should ever start at KU is his senior night game and he should never be in the rotation as long as Bill lands a 2-3 quality guards over the next couple of years since the next 2 years are looking to be pretty scarce with the scholarship numbers.

RJ King 1 year, 7 months ago

Wait a minute . . . is it possible for a walk-on to red-shirt? I thought red-shirting had to do with scholarship status, and a walk-on HAS no scholarship. (???)

oldalum 1 year, 8 months ago

Isn't it possible that Manning had no offers because he made it clear from the beginning that he was going to walk-on at Kansas?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

oldalum: No, because he didn't commit as a walk-on until April of this year, after his dad went Tulsa. It wasn't even a rumor. But really, you're just searching for a reason to speculate that the kid has D-I talent. There is no evidence of that.

texashawk10: Respectfully, if the best scenario you have is that coach Self has his worst recruiting efforts by a long ways .. ever .. that's not compelling at all. I could speculate .. next season, Adams transfers at the end of the year; Mason tears an ACL in August; Tharpe dislocates his shoulder in late October. Ok, armageddon. Manning plays.

I guess my point is that he just doesn't have the talent that should play at KU .. ever. But for a major catastrophe, he's not building toward anything his junior or senior season except for, as you say, starting on senior night.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

I do agree 100% that the only time Evan Manning should be on the floor outside of garbage time is on senior night or if Bill Self wants to send a message to others on the team like he did with Matt Kleinman a couple of times. You said you wanted help understanding how Manning ends up in the rotation and I layed out two scenarios and neither one has KU in a good place. Again, I agree 100% that Manning should never see meaningful minutes outside of his senior night game if he makes it to that night at KU.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 8 months ago

I wish that Oakville would make a top 10 list for this question. I'll get it started.

1] Bill Self called him a stud. 2] He spent a year at prep school. 3] He won't likely leave early for the draft. 4] His dad is a coach. 5] He's apparently very smart and well-behaved. 6] He's clearly outperformed Niko, Tyler, and Christian so far in his career. 7] His dad is a superhero. 8] He's kind of like a demi-god who has to mask his secret powers.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

with #8 the only one that really matters, and clearly the most likely way he is a rotation player.

But I'd love to hear #9 and #10.

Here's a try, looking into the future ... 9] The KU basketball team is marooned on an island in the Pacific, except for Evan Manning, who stayed behind because he was sick, or 10] Bill Self retires, Danny Manning named head coach, signs a five year contract, and says "can't fire me for starting my kid."

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

Go back and take a look at the Bucknell and Bradley rosters when they beat us in the NCAA's first round. My grief at the time led me to research their Rival's player rankings, which only added to my grief. Those teams were made up with a bunch of "no star" seniors who ended up to be decent teams. If a kid has some talent, can work in a team, and has heart...it can be done, given the opportunity. Evan can easily be a 10-20 mpg Senior if you consider this 1)Tharpe will ge gone. 2) Seldon could decide late in his Soph year to enter the NBA draft after previously announching he'd stay...thereby discouranging some OAD prospects. 3) Evan will know the system thoroughly and would be needed as a backup to Frankamp and Adams. There is your reasonable number 9 and 10.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 8 months ago

If all that happened with Danny Manning and he won the National Championship....I'm good with him starting his kid! He's hired to do a job. It's all about results.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Seriously, this is not Bucknell or Bradley. There is a difference between low or unranked players that have offers. Mannning had no offers.

Respectfully, here, you're searching for an argument that is not there.

Why not argue that Tyler Self will be a rotation player? Or go randomly pick the fourth best player on the local high school team.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

I don't think there's anything to extrapolate. I don't see it either. Most of the posts here are just non-rational thoughts. Sorry all, but Evan is not the second coming.

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Does it really matter that much if the garbage time player are any good or not? They're not the ones making the starter better in practice and if they're in the game, then KU's going to win by a lot of points anyway.

chriz 1 year, 8 months ago

"Coach Self is a basketball genius." Those are strong words coming from the son of one of Self's former assistant coaches, who is likely very brilliant himself and spent countless hours with Bill Self. Says a WHOLE LOT about Self not only as a mind but as a coach.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree. A 19 year old kid who is "likely very brilliant himself" saying coach Self is a genius is definitive, and says a "whole lot" (all caps). Evan just has to be brilliant. I'm more interested to know what Tyler Self says .. heck, he's the son of a genius. Really, we should arrange weekly interview sessions with Evan, or Tyler, so we can be enlightened by their infinite wisdom. I can't wait.

chriz 1 year, 8 months ago

Dude, I was talking about how his dad, Danny, is likely very brilliant.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

This page has made my eyes blur ... ok then, so Danny Manning is "brilliant?" I give up.

chriz 1 year, 8 months ago

lol...fair enough. my point is that this comment is significant coming not only from the son of a division I coach, but the son of a division I coach who has played for and coached with some great coaching minds himself. the comment strikes me as something he learned from his father. and his father's opinions carry quite a bit of weight in my book.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Have you ever heard the term "sucking up"?

chriz 1 year, 8 months ago

No, but I googled it and I don't think it applies here. (sarcasm)

I think it's more likely that Danny Manning, with all the time he's spent with Self, has discovered that Self is, indeed, a coaching genius and has imparted his beliefs to his kid. So yeah, no need to call the kid a suck-up. I think calling Self a great coach is a safer bet.

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

HEM, I have no #9, #10, etc. to offer. Much of what I write is based on gut feeling rather than hoops coaching experience or technical acumen. I have been generous today in my feelings about Evan's Jayhawk future minutes; obviously offbase, at least in terms of his high school play. I will stay quiet about the lad unless or until someday he glows in a game, proves once again that Self can work some extraordinary magic. (Even then, I will try not to pounce.)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

No problem .. you didn't start this. jaybate did. And no, no .. as I mentioned below to jaybate, you will get full credit for Evan Manning's achievements here and perhaps periodic reminders of your predictions. jaybate was first, but you're in the same boat.

But I do note a bit of regret in your comments .... tough to put that toothpaste back in the tube, though. Maybe we'll all just forget this ever happened. Maybe.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

HEM,

I said I didn't know why I felt Evan had a shot to impact 3-4 yrs out, its just a bunch and a look at how he moves, plus Self saying the kid is a stud who can shoot.

I know he is a long shot.

And I know he hasn't shown much, but he's coming off a boot.

You can win this on logic.

But I think RE Hawk and I are both speaking from hunches only, not from logic on this one.

Once in awhile everyone gets to take a flyer.

:-)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 8 months ago

Yea, you got this whole thing started today .. your flyer almost made my head implode. I will make a note that you are the original Evan Manning defender, deal? I will be sure not to pass that credit off to anyone, and at least point out every so often your prognostication. Promise.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 8 months ago

It wouldn't be much of an implosion.

jaybate 1 year, 8 months ago

Humble pie is a calorie one must consume at times as part of getting better. I will gladly have my slice, or give it to you, as the story unfolds. :-)

REHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

HEM, clearing my head after a sound night's sleep, maybe I do have a #9, #10 regarding positives toward Evan's future minutes. He is gifted with genetics for the game, both mentally and physically, and has been close to basketball all his 19 years. I would imagine that he is one among very few freshmen who tends to think like a coach; a listener whose game is designed to fit the puzzle, even though he is not blessed with his father's height or classic physical constitution. Another factor which nibbles at the edges of my 2012 Jayhawk hoops awareness goes back to the exhibition season, even before that to the European tour. Bill Self seemed pleased with Evan's early play, before the injury. Probably just because Evan understood what Self was trying to do at that juncture and was ahead of Rio and Milt in the mental aspect of SelfBall. But Bill seemed prone to insert him into those games, and seemed pleased with his early development. There COULD be a Morningstar or Teehan residing inside Manning, a player who eventually might develop into an important contributor, if the chips should fall for him in a more opportunistic fashion than they did for Jeremy Case. Evan's spending a year at prep school, then matriculating to KU as a hopeful walk-on, would seem to indicate that he and his father see a ray of hope for playing time, once his body matures and his game develops. If Bill Self should offer him a redshirt after his sophomore or junior season, we will know that, at age 23, he will be an essential piece in the Jayhawk winning puzzle. Speaking of CASE, before I tie myself into an inescapable knot, I had best again rest my case.