Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kansas’ Bill Self had a ball at ISU

Kansas head coach Bill Self gives a congratulatory pat to Elijah Johnson after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime win over Iowa State on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Kansas University senior Elijah Johnson, who had just scored 39 points in an amazing 108-96 victory over Iowa State, presented a gift to coach Bill Self on Monday night in a jubilant Hilton Coliseum locker room.

“They gave me the ball. It was nice in the locker room,” said Self, who accepted a keepsake commemorating his 500th career coaching victory.

“I said, ‘I don’t remember 100, 200, 300 or 400, but I think I may remember this one.’ It was an unbelievable game and win. What it means is you are getting old,” added Self, 50, who has a 20-year career mark of 500-162 — 293-57 in 10 seasons at KU. “We’ve had so many good players. Hopefully we’ll get them here and win a few more.”

Self said it was the best locker room of the year and not because he’d wrapped up his 500th victory. KU remained tied with Kansas State for first place in the Big 12 race at 12-3.

“They were fired up,” Self said on his weekly “Hawk Talk” radio show. “The guys love Elijah (whose 39 points were most by a Jayhawk since Terry Brown’s 42 against North Carolina State on Jan. 5, 1991). They had some song or dance, and were singing with him. We were a tight-knit group. Everybody to a man was so excited for Elijah.”

Self, who has thanked his family members, players, assistant coaches and administrators, said he definitely appreciates the three college coaches he worked for: Larry Brown at KU, as well as Eddie Sutton and Leonard Hamilton at Oklahoma State.

“Coach Brown to me has as good a basketball mind as there is,” Self said. “Leonard Hamilton is the hardest worker I ever worked for. Coach Sutton to me is the perfect college coach, combining recruiting, family atmosphere.”

He also thanked coaches he played for: Paul Hansen at Oklahoma State and Mike de la Garza at Edmond (Okla.) Memorial High.

“Mike de la Garza is the best salesman I ever learned under, selling the program to the school and community. He’s so enthusiastic. Paul Hansen is the nicest man I’ve ever been around,” Self said. “I’ve stolen from all of them. I remember after I started coaching, I called coach Hansen. I said, ‘I understand better now why you did what you did.’ I learned a ton from all of them.”

Jeff Goodman of CBSsports.com points out that Self could win an astronomical number of games.

“He’s averaged 33 wins per season over the past six years, more than anyone else in the nation. If he can go 15 more years and average 33 victories, that would put him in the 1,000-victory range,” Goodman writes. “He’s in Year 10 in Lawrence and continues to rack up the victories at an alarming pace.”

McLemore’s early struggles: KU’s Ben McLemore, in today’s USA Today, recalls growing up in near poverty in St. Louis.

“You get those hunger pains. I am so hungry. We don’t have any food. What are we going to eat? Your stomach hurts. Then you get so upset and mad, like, no food. You start having tantrums and don’t want to do anything,” McLemore said, noting sometimes his family home was without heat in the winter.

McLemore, who is expected to be taken No. 1 or 2 in this year’s NBA Draft, wants to someday take care of his mom, who he said is currently unemployed.

“My mom is proud of me. I just want to keep working hard so one day I can help my family. I am going to get a big house one day and we all can stay in it and eat,” McLemore said.

Former KU coach Larry Brown told the paper: “If you ask Ben if he wants to stay at KU for four years, I bet he would want it in a minute. But he can’t (needing to help family).”

Frankamp in Festival: Future Kansas guard Conner Frankamp of Wichita North has accepted an invitation to play in the 2013 Derby Festival Classic on April 19 in Louisville.

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 9 months ago

What an amazing game for win # 500!!! The Prophet just was unconscious out there, so completely in the flow that is was pure magic to watch.
My father-in-law was concerned for me when the Jayhawks struggled and the Cyclones were 3-bombing all night long. I was never worried, because I KNEW that the seniors were going to dig in and RIP victory from the jaws of defeat.

What a total treat, and on to March!!!

R O C K C H A L K, J A Y H A W K S !!!!!

OT 1 year, 9 months ago

Shortly afterward the officials came in and presented him with a whistle.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 9 months ago

The best photo of the year.

The best photo of the year. by wrwlumpy

The Four Seniors that know what it is all about.

AsadZ 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree but at the same time I feel that he should not take a chance and go. His situation is lot different than that of Selby and X. He will be a top 5 pick. Plus it is good for KU program/HCBS from recruting stanpoint in that KU can develop and send players into NBA who were not necessarily projected as top 5 picks before their freshman year.

I would love to see him get a big HUG from HCBS in the green room on draft day when his name is called.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Ernie Kovacs.

The last comic genius television produced.

The last genius television produced.

The only genius television produced.

Ernie, my father gave me the game, and my brother gave me you.

The rest of the comedians, all of whom I love, for comedy is king, they are but openers for strippers compared to you.

I keep Ernie's collected shows, narrated by Jack Lemmon, at hand always.

The Nairobi Trio. Definitive.

Percy Dovetonsils. Definitive.

The opera singer sketch that slowly builds to a wide shot of 4th wall breaking chaos. Definitive.

America's Magritte in motion, only better and funny.

I hope you're playing heaven, if I make it there.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

The great WC Fields once said, *Ah yes, while playing a game of golf I akways keep handy a bottle of Brandy, in case I encounter a snake...which I also keep handy."

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Classic. Hadn't heard that one. Thx.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

Ernie, Edie, a mink stole, & Muriel Cigars!. Grandpa Charlie was a King Edward man but my favs are the small filtered Al Capones dipped in cognac.

MinnesotaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

'Alarming' for the opponents! Therapeutic for Jayhawk fans.

KUFan90 1 year, 9 months ago

Awesome! Thanks for posting that Slaterman.

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

Anybody else find those flashing banners on the front of the upper deck to be horribly annoying. So many arenas have them now. Thank God we don't have them in Allen Fieldhouse distracting from the real action on the court. Props to OSU for keeping them out of Gallagher-Iba Arena as well.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 9 months ago

Darn right the are ugly and distracting. I was disapointed to see one at UT. Maybe it is nice for other events like a concert but turn the darn things off during a bBall game.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Terrible even when the camera isn't showing them because the reflection off the polished floor.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 9 months ago

Larry Brown is right about B-Mac, wanting to stay at Kansas for 4 years, but not being able to stay at Kansas for 4 years, because he needs to help his family! However, I do think that he needs one more year, to make him a good enough all around player, and to get stronger (because the NBA is so physical). In many of our games, he has been slowed offensively, to where he has not been effective, and if that can happen as much as it has in College, just think what will happen to him in the Pros. Look at some of our other players (and many from other teams), who has left early, and how they have struggled, and some of whom, have not stayed in the NBA for long. His goal should be, longevity, not just getting there for one big payday. Longevity, is what will truly help his family. One more year!

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

You did read the part about his mom being unemployed, right?

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

Cole's Dad was unemployed and he stayed one more year. Not that it mattered much, he still isnt playing.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Only thing that would be a different if Cole had left after his sophomore year, is he's be a million dollars richer.

We always want these guys to stay 4 years. But I don't blame any of them for leaving early. The NBA draft is a given for no one. If you are a projected lottery pick, the longer you wait to jump, the more you risk losing.

hawk316 1 year, 9 months ago

trublue, I absolutely agree that BMac would be better served if he could stay in college at least one more year. His game would be much more refined, more complete, more ready for "the League." But given his family's financial situation how can anyone fault the kid for taking the money that's on the table after this year? Selfishly, I would love to see him stay, but he's thinking about what's best for his family. How can you argue with that?

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

Elijah Johnson is the starting point guard and the leader of this team. There has never been any doubt about that in my opinion. As a fan, watching this young man walk into Louisville's Freedom Hall and proudly waving a KU shirt to the crowd, and then ending the game with a 360 between the legs dunk that had the crowd at Freedom Hall saluting him. He loves Kansas and in my opinion, I have never witnessed a player of his caliber that wanted to be a Kansas Jayhawk more.

I could never give up on this young man, because I knew the effort was there. I knew because of years past that the ability was there. I also knew that his belief in himself was unshaken. I admit to being quite upset when I read all the he is not a point guard, he is a 2 guard post. That is my right to be upset and I expressed my opinion about it. I did not agree when it was suggested that he be replaced with Naadir Tharpe. I feel that Elijah Johnson in the lineup as our leader, gives us the best chance to win.

What is great about this team is that Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe have proven they can win games for us in crunch time. They can both play either role, point guard or shooting guard, which is exactly the type of guards Coach Self recruits. In our offense the ball is always moving, there is no "Steve Nash" type of point guard in our offense where the point guard distributes the ball, and does all the dribbling. All five players can rack up assist in our offense.

I love this team, because there are so many options. Also we have extremely talented kids on the bench, that when given the opportunity of having significant minutes, will prove their worth as well. Go Jayhawks.

Congrats to Conner Frankamp on the Derby Festival selection. That is where my man Elijah Johnson introduced himself to the Jayhawk Nation!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

OK. I now officially feel like a big turd. (Can I say that?)

Ben, I'm sorry. Go pro now. But hire a great financial adviser so there will be resources after basketball.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

Going to have to read that later, thanks for sharing.

Jack Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for posting this > terrific article. The availability of information such as this > allowing us to appreciate and value those athletes who choose to attend our University and represent each of us on the courts and playing fields> is something I find most valuable. We are able to know them not only for being exceptional athletes, but far more importantly, as exceptional human beings.

DDDHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Congratulations, Coach Self! That is a well-deserved milestone. And Ben, you are a valued member of the Jayhawk family, and whatever you decide to do at the end of this year, I am behind you 100%!

SOMDJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"He loves life," Self says. "He loves getting up and going to class. He loves the camaraderie with his fellow students. He loves signing autographs. He loves taking pictures with fans. He loves it all. "

My daughter and I met some of the players in Morgantown, including Ben. He had a bigger smile on his face than anyone when I asked if I could get a picture of him with my daughter. Great to see kids make it through tough childhoods like that - proud to have him in the Jayhawk family. Good luck in your career and taking care of your family. Rock Chalk!

SOMDJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks! I'm more of a stalker on here than a poster, but good to know one of the few I've posted was valuable!

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

You are very welcome. It was quite an enjoyable read!

Jack Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

WHAT A GREAT PHOTO > ESPECIALLY FOR BEN, AS WELL AS YOUR BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTER. THANKS FOR SHARING.

SOMDJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks, jackdavid. Was quite an experience. Got her photo with Coach Self (avatar) and Withey, too.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 9 months ago

Shoot - shoot - shoot - shoot - shoot, your teammates want you to - the coach wants you to - its what every fan wants. You've gone far past Danny's incredible freshman year. Your skills make you a lottery pick. The fact that you are a Freshman makes you # 1. Get your mom a nice house in Lawrence. Have a yearly charity event in Lawrence like so many of our NBA alum do. Who knows where any of us would be and what choices we would make if faced with your Environment. When your brother gets out, take care of him. Keep Bill Selfs phone # on speed dial because he'll answer it. He has helped more players to the NBA in the last 10 years than any other coach. Go get a big warm house with food in it. Thank you and Mr Trayler very much for stayin with the Jahawks when you could have moved on.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

There are precedents for NBA players who left school early and went on to get their degrees. I'm almost positive that Shaq, Rasheed Wallace & Vince Carter are three that I remember all leaving ~ their 2nd year of college or so and ended up getting their degrees later on.

joshuamc914 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it's selfish for anyone to want Ben to come back next year he is going top 3. There is no reason to come back and prove what? He has been a special player for this team who has hit the wall the last two games looks a lil tired but I couldn't of asked for any ore tho year except finishing it off with a championship. He has exceeded my early season expectations, and hearing that story of extreme poverty there is no way I could ask him to ce back. Go an support your family Ben you will always be a Jayhawk no matter if you on canpus or getting buckets in the NBA.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

We (I) take so much for granted.

Everytime I hear one of these background stories it is a welcome to earth moment for me.

The Morris twins, Tyshawn, Sherron, TRob, Jamari, Ben. These guys are the blessed ones, because they rose above the adversity, but there are tens of millions of people in the US living in poverty. There are kids in our hometowns who the only meal they get is a school lunch. The parents can't find work. They look to the government to help, but it doesn't come, or it's too slow. Some of them feel they have no other choice but crime.

Real compassion is giving someone food, giving someone clothing, giving someone shelter, giving someone a job. The government shouldn't do that. The people should do that.

Help someone today. Do it for the McLemores and the Traylors.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 9 months ago

Our government is of the people by the people and for the people. There is no excuse for poverty in the America except we have an antiquated economic system that was born in the dark ages and as science turned on the cosmic reservoir in the last century only a very few are being rewarded. This is totally wrong. It clearly states in our constitution that we should promote the general welfare.
Waiting for a bunch of people to be charitable is not working. We must all work for the common good and our government should see that it is provided. For people to be hungry is totally stupid.

mikehawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Has anyone else noticed the shift Elijah has made, from settling for jump shots trying to shoot himself out of the slump, to driving to score or get fouled around the hole? When I used to play, and that was many moons ago, you learned if you were a shooter to go to the hole if you were struggling with your jump shot. It reestablishes confidence which any shooter must posses. Hesitation and doubt, however slight, are a shooters worst friends. It is like the flu, you get it and it is hard to shake. It appears to me he has really picked up his look to drive, and with it, over the past three games, his percentages, including assist to turnover ratios, are up. I am not the numbers guy, but I would hope Matt or someone would do some analysis and see if this is my imagination or if the data bears this out. We will need the 3 at some point in the post season. One thing I can't figure out is why our offense doesn't develop some change of pace by bringing Jeff out from the basket from time to time, to the elbow, allowing the space around the rim to clear for Ben, Travis, and Elijah. Ben, particularly on the road where he seems less comfortable, needs to drive and dunk for the same reason I believe it has helped Elijah. And by the way, Jeff can be deadly from the elbow if given opportunity. Wow! What an interesting team we have. If we can get past the first two rounds, it could get interesting as this is one tough bunch. Just the way Coach likes it.

tis4tim 1 year, 9 months ago

Jeez, what more can you say about Elijah?

After being the good soldier his entire career only to struggle when handed the keys to the kingdom, then suffering the ire of the fans and the coaching staff, the guy busts out with a sublime performance for the ages and what happens? Instead of getting the face time in the media he so rightfully deserves, he gets subverted by conspiracy talk surrounding the officiating. THEN, he joins the team in presenting Bill Self the game ball because it just so happens that the same night EJ goes off and probably should get the award, coach Self gets his milestone win.

Knowing what I've read about Elijah and having listened to him during pressers, I'm sure he's fine with deferring the spotlight to someone else. But, man, the guy just keeps sacrificing for the team and I hope he's rewarded for his seemingly perpetual unselfishness with a front row spot on the grandstand as we hoist another championship trophy come April.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

mikehawk--I agree--in fact I started posting several games ago that Bill should draw something up (because I know he reads my posts) to get EJ something going towards the basket early instead of letting him try to shoot out of his slump from 3pt range. Good point about Jeff at the elbow. I'd love to see him develop that shot a little more.

thmdmph 1 year, 9 months ago

I beg to differ with all of those who thinks Ben should leave this year or that it's selfish of us to want Ben to come back. I think Ben should come back for his own good. What Ben does well, he does really really well. However, he has so much to develop to survive with the pro's. If he leaves early, he's going to be very much a one dimensional player. Yes money and mother is a huge huge factor. Yes, injury is always a risk. Yes, KU could benefit from proving that you can be a OAD freshman.

In Self's era, the has never been a player that regressed. Everybody took giant steps from year to year. The one closest exception is EJ, but as we can see, it's the product of him being a team player, taking on being the point just to fill the gap and playing outside his skill set. Self can definitely motivate and teach.

Next year, depending on others entering the draft, he may or may not be #1 or 2, but he's still going to be set for life. He needs a strong basic foundation before entering the NBA, he just doesn't seem to have them yet. I sensed that Ben knows this deep down. That's why he's so limited in many games. He's smart and only plays within his own current skill sets, that's why you don't see him taking excessive shots or try to take over the game, even when coach and the entire fan base wants him to do. How many good players have we seen who has been drafted so high in basketball and baseball purely on "potential" only to get lost and never reached full potential.

Regardless, ultimately, it's going to be personal decision and we all will support Ben whatever his decision is going to be. He's a great person and great player.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

The reason Self would coach a long time, if he were to coach a long time, would be to keep fishing kids out the nightmares they are in, and by building good teams with them, raise money to help others that can't play, but could keep getting better at a lab bench, or on a stage, or on a sales force, or teaching in a classroom.

When the man tries to raise money for his causes, help him; that is the best way to keep him coaching and recruiting. He's already got his FU money. He's doing it now, because he loves fitting the pieces together and the joy of great wins in great games with coaches and players he enjoys being with. To see Be a part of Elijah escaping his own hell and propelling himself to the greatest performance by a guard. A team closely knit afterwards. Only some high school and college coaches know this feeling. Maybe a few pro coaches, too. Maybe a few drama and music teachers. John D. Rockefeller never knew this joy. Louis XIV never knew it. Eisenhower never knew it, because his victories were drenched in blood. Some corporate CEOs, like Jobs, maybe, but they weren't working with kids and it wasn't the greatest game ever invented.

So cut him some slack, when the next bumpy season comes, like next year. People like Goodman that speculate about him continuing to win 33 games a season for 15 years are just setting him up for a fall. Phog slumped eventually. Wooden would have slumped eventually, had he not retired. Knight did. Roy has. Coach K has. You are only at your peak so long and then it passes. But you can still be better than most, if you were the best at your peak. Dean came as close as anyone to not slumping, but I don't recall him winning at this percentage this long.

Regardless, we are talking about human beings, not demigods. But that doesn't mean he can't keep getting better in other aspects of what he does after he peaks. And he may be able to help even more people after he peaks, than before.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

Mick Allen 1 year, 9 months ago

You wouldn't say Phog "slumped" had he been allowed to coach Wilt, instead of being shoved out the door because of the then mandatory retirement at age 70. Bowden and Paterno being allowed to coach successfully well in to their 80s demonstrates the absurdity of this rule. Phog would have won another championship with Wllt. Wilt would never have come to KU had he known Phog would not be permitted to coach him. I know this personally through my family.

RockChalk26 1 year, 9 months ago

"EJ, is that gum in your mouth?"

-HCBS

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

BenMac...you spent a year learning what it means to be a Jayhawk and another year fulfilling that mission.

Take the money and run...you owe Jayhawk Nation nothing more...you owe your Family everything else.

One more thing...thank you, you continue to make me proud to be a fellow native St.Louisan!!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

Damn Oak, being a misery native takes a lot of courage to admit. But since you have come clean, my guilt surmounts, so I'm comin clean also. LOL. My mother's Irish potatoe famine, immigrant jGrandparents are buried about a mile from their family farm, just outside of Weyland, Cark Co. Mom was born & raised on the Iowa side of the Mississippi, but there it is, Denying heritage "is just wrong," like what the wife says when she goes out & gets in that cold truck to go to work, while Woody & I are still snuggled up in the sack happily retired! I tell her att least it's a 4WD with heated seats-could be a VW Beetle with a front trunk full of beer! They put a rubber plug in the bottom of them when we were kids, which was quite convenient for one or more's enjoyment.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Also a native St. Louisan.

In the years since I knew I'd be going to KU we've had Malcolm Nash, Ryan Robertson and now Ben McLemore. Just keeps getting better with what we get from StL.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 9 months ago

When I was young we often played in our boxer briefs because we couldn't afford uniforms. These young whipper snappers don't know how good they have it.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh, its a done deal. We are slated to start wearing these during the conf tourney or the Big dance. I, for one , liked the tone-out jerseys at WVU, but these things are just plain hideous. How did someone collect a paycheck rolling out this idea? We are supposed to be in a recession with qualified people looking for work? Apparently not at Addidas.

Obama should just have a presser and present these uniforms and tell everyone "Hey, we are back. The economy is booming and people are back to work. Proof? Look at these uniforms. Obviously there are companies out there who are making so much money that they can afford to pay people for horrible ideas like these."

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

tone-out weren't too bad except hard to see the numbers and names - at least on television.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

No team sporting those shorts is winning a national championship. Maybe KU will only end up wearing them for the BigXII tourney and then throw them away.

Steve Corder 1 year, 9 months ago

"Alarming rate"???? What in the name of college basketball is alarming about winning?

Jim Williamson 1 year, 9 months ago

"You've gone far past Danny's incredible freshman year."

Whoa whoa whoa whoa. Easy, there, Turbo.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Regarding Ben, Slayr has convinced me there is more to consider than money now versus risk of injury.

If a person is not ready to run a business, or does not have someone he can trust that is ready to run his business and train Ben quickly to run it (and finding someone willing to train you to replace them quickly is the rub), then he needs to wait until he is in that position. The NBA decides when someone is ready for their business, but not when some one is ready to run their own business.

People talking about whether Ben's game needs to get a little stronger are missing the point IMHO. He could stay at KU 8 years and keep increasing his readiness to play. With the money he will make, he can hire a personal coach to develop him beyond what his NBA coach does. If the NBA wants him, he is probably as ready as he needs to be. Julian didn't leave too early. He wasn't a good enough shot. Josh didn't leave too early. He wasn't good enough to beat out Tyshawn Taylor. By definition he was not the next Derek Rose. Cole didn't leave too late, or early. He was too short and his knees too damaged.

Guys that are good enough upstairs and downstairs, and don't lose too much to injury, make it in the NBA, those that aren't and/or get to injued don't.

Physical and skill readiness, and their potential for further nonlinear development, the NBA judges okay. We know this because of how few guys it sends to the D leagues that ever become more than backups down the road. That it drafts underclassmen before their peak of development in college does not mean they think these guys are sure stars to be. They know most of these guys are going to to be less than stars, or wash outs when they take them. They take them, because they have just a tiny percent better chance of amounting to something professionally than the four year guys not yet taken.

The chances of making it in the NBA are slim to none for all but the very best, unless a player can fill some narrow role exceptionally well. Nick collision was one of our best. He could only hang on as a backup.

NBA players are athletic freaks. They are 300 out of several billion persons on earth. As good as Ben is, and he is among the best freshmen that have come through KU, Iowa State hand cuffed him. What do you think Kobe would do to him? Wade? Any of a dozen NBA 2s? They would hang 30 on him and hold him to 14. And they will do that to Ben whether he goes this year or next. Tyshawn was the fastest I ever saw in KU silks. By the time he was a senior, he was among the most accomplished. He can't stay on the floor with a weak NBA team. Thomas Robinson was Superman. In the NBA he is more like Clark Kent. Still wide across the shoulders, but playing against men that deal with muscle like his every night.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Couldn't disagree MORE about Selby. If there's ONE that made a mistake it's him!!!! So, coming in his freshman year he was thought that he'd go top 5 AFTER his freshman year.....yet by the end he ends up going mid-to-late 2ND ROUND!!!!! A lot of that due to the injuries he never really got over. 2nd round = no guarantees & low immediate payout. Even if his only role was as a 6th man last season, he'd've built up enough of a resume to re-enter 1st round status and be more "locked in" and well though of.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Ben is more likely to make it than most KU stars. But the chances of him being a superstar, or even an all star with a long career are still slim. It took Michael Jordan and Paul Pierce 4-5 years in the NBA to figure it out. They could easily have been injured during that time, wound up like Danny Manning, journeyman backups, And labored in obscurity.

Danny managed his bones. He had people that could train him to from the beginning. Many haven't. Does Ben?

What Ben must not do is get himself ensnared in management that uses him and dumps him, and leaves him uneducated and broke; this is slayr's crucial point. He can make a pot this year, or next. It doesn't even matter how high he goes either year. He will begin to earn enough to take care of him and his family. His mother raised a family in near poverty. She knows how to survive another year, if it is what is best for her son. And of course she can get a job in Lawrence, if she needs one for a year.

And he will always be at risk of injury. A college degree is the only long term insurance against injury. The longer he stays, the closer he is to getting it.

If he is ready to run a business, jump as soon as possible.

If not, stick around till the neural nets grow together a little more and the management team is lined up.

If you get hurt, hobble throu like Mario Little and get a degree and a job.

Aim for the stars AND avoid becoming a bum.

There are no guaranties.

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

JB, points all well made, however I can only agree to totally respectfully disagree with you. Absolutely, from a player point of view it makes sense for BenMac to stay another year...but from a family sense, to let your mother work in poverty or work at all even for one more day after laboring for over a quarter century in poverty raising a family, makes absolutely no sense if given the monetary opportunity to change his family's life for the better.

Yes, Danny labored in relative obscurity for many years...to the tune of multiple millions for each year. JB, I know you're a stand up guy and a decent human being. Please rethink your statement, my friend.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I would have to agree with the dissent, here.

jb: "There are no guaranties."

Uh, there are .. it's called a three year guaranteed NBA contract.

It is absolutely too good to pass up, even if you weren't raised in a low income family.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Which is EXACTLY why Selby should NOT have left.....his status had dropped SO significantly.

2nd rounders don't have those "guarantees". Would only have made sense that he could've played himself back into the 1st round - with being healthy again.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with you Jaybate. I too grew up on the streets, finding nourishment in the trash cans and in my one meal at school. I woke up to frozen water in the cat bowls because we had no heat. I was earning 6 figures by the time I was 22 and found myself around a lot of people who enjoyed the money that I was making. As a result of growing up with nothing, I wanted to treat myself and those around me to everything. Several years into that, I despised the lifestyle and left that situation. But the people that surrounded me and tried surrounding me while the money was coming in were not good influences. They took advantage of me, and If I didn't have some big time influences step in and help me manage my life, I would be broke right now. Just like Iverson. Just like Terrell Owens. If McLemore is not ready it doesn't matter if he steps up for the riches now, because that money can be squandered in NO TIME. Then he and his family are back at square one. If he is ready to manage the money and fame and has some good guys in his corner to express to him the importance of LONG TERM financial stability, and how to plan for the future then he is good to go. By the time you pay agents, and taxes, 6 million over 3 years really isn't a lifetime of wealth. It can be. But not if you have leaches on your backside.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

DIdn't see the salary structure you posted before posting below. 13 million is a little different than 6 million! That would change my tune a bit, but not my philosophy!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

going back to 1991 culture with our crazy colors and patterns. Just need some striped tube socks and were good to go.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe they can design some pajama pants for Bill so he'll look better in the Hammer video.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

At least ours aren't as frightening as Notre Dame's!!! :)

onegonzo 1 year, 9 months ago

From today's Wichita Eagle...But a Kansas official said Thursday the final decision on the jerseys rests with the school — and no decision had been made as of Thursday.

"There's been some talk internally," said associate athletic director Jim Marchiony. "But we haven't made a final determination."

James McGuire 1 year, 9 months ago

Everyone needs to email him and ask that Kansas not wear those things.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

" a little funky looking " - understatement of the year!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

:0,..... :(,...... (:=[.....{:>(,....#@%$^&!(.....???!!!.....|:-{....X - (

At least they got the unlucky number 13 right as part of these unfortunate uniform choices. God, we are in league with some real sucka$$ programs!!!

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

Unlucky number 13? Wilt Chamberlain wore number 13. It's not unlucky in my book.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed....hIs 13 was on a classic uniform!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

... Sigh ....

Guess I'll go back to listening on the radio..............

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

What's the chances of not selling out AFH if we have to look at these Sadidas pukiforms ???

jay381 1 year, 9 months ago

Caught this link to a CBS.com article and ideas of collegiate experience by Jeff Goodman from an interview with NBA starter and former OU All American and first round draft choice Blake Griffin.

One sentence that summarizes the tone of the article"

""I felt like staying another year was the right move for me," Griffin told me on SiriusXM's Inside College Basketball. "It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It enabled me to mature and get better as a basketball player. If I came out after my freshman season, it would have been a different story." He also goes on about "being ready" not just about a big payday.

I think the article would be worth consideration for anyone but especially Ben McLemore.

link to article:

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think the Griffins were languishing in poverty and I think he catapulted farther up the Draft board in staying another year as well.

Also, Blake's 2nd year - was his 2nd year in college.

If Ben stayed it would ACTUALLY be his 3rd year in college.

****I would argue different situations.

Blake & T.Rob were in similar situations - - - like was said in the article, Blake was being projected i the lottery at the end of his freshman year. T.Rob was being projected in the late lottery early 20's after his sophomore year. Both came back - Griffin then was drafted 1st & T.Rob, 3rd, I believe.

Ben's being projected.....NOT lottery, late lottery, but top 5 NOW.

As others have said, you come back - & your Mom's still unemployed and you've got 10 family members in a house w/ no heat & no food and you then go out and get hurt or even have a slip in play to where you'd fall down to the late lotterY? There's a lot better players coming into next year's freshman class with the likes of Wiggins, J. Parker, Randle, An. Harrison, A. Gordon, et al. - - - could be VERY EASY to see him still have a nice year yet STILL slip down a good 10 spots.

The dude's not an 18 or 19 year-old kid either. He's 20 already. He'd be 21 shortly into his rookie year.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 9 months ago

Have to feel for B Mac. It would be great if KU could help Bens mom so he can choose his life. If he wants to stay in school, he should be able to. If he wants to be a pro, he should be able to do that. But it shouldn't come down taking care of his family. What I mean by that is that if his family could get some help were they were not struggling, then Ben could live his life. But of course the NCAA would rather make millions off players and have none of it circulate back to their persona life. It is important to note that a lot of kids would be stupid with the money if they were paid to play. However, the NCAA should set up funds for kids who came from impoverished homes. If the NCAA is all about the athletes, then be all about the athletes. Help them choose school because they don't feel the pressure to save their families. From what I've read Ben is loving school, he might want to stay and he should feel like he has a choice in the matter. Of course if you are projected top 5, you leave no matter how much work your game still needs. The NCAA has made to much money off of poor athletes without it ever helping their families, they need to figure something out.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 9 months ago

We will be the joke of the conference tourneys. What Big 12 idiot signed off on these?

DanR 1 year, 9 months ago

You lost to KU by about 40 points, which is pretty bad. Love your ambitious goal of getting to the sweet 16 though. Good Luck!

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

Weren't you the drunk guy sitting a couple rows in front of me at Folsom Field a few years ago?

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

It is probably harder to smuggle pot into Folsom Prison...

kay_you 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't know what school he's from but it's clearly not CU. A Buff talking smack over b-ball. C'mon.

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

Hopefully.....someone will blow up a picture of that dorky looking ISU fan that charged Self and waive it around in the stands the next time we play ISU. What a loser. Funny to see a big picture of the corn-eater with a caption saying something about anger management.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 9 months ago

This guy has been identified as some hot shot executive at UPS. He apparently managed this at a young age so you know he is a total bully.

Yolanda Gay 1 year, 9 months ago

People don't realize where some of these kids come from. I doubt many, if any, of us has dealt with living in poverty. There are several kids who left early from KU who could have benefited from another year. But they want to take care of their family. They feel a need and responsibility to take care of their family - to give them something they didn't have before. Yes, some weren't lottery picks; but they earned triple digit money. They goes a long way in helping your family who had to struggle all their lives. The NBA, if they want you, is a sure thing. Coming back to college and taking a chance of getting hurt is not a gamble many don't want to take and I don't blame them. As a fan, I would like to have players like Henry, Selby, and now McLemore come back another year. But I totally understand why they didn't.

BainDread 1 year, 9 months ago

I wonder if there is any possibility that high-quality (read expensive) legal representation could help get Ben's brother out of prison any sooner. Probably not at this time, but if so it could be a huge factor in Ben's decision. Lady Justice may be blind, but she does have a very good sense of smell...especially for the odor of money.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Anybody want to come to St.Louis and check out BenMac's neighborhood with me.....you might want change your mind about him staying at KU another year!

kufankam 1 year, 9 months ago

i love ben and think he has done an outstanding job representing himself and KU. this comment is not directed at him personally, more at our society in general. how is, that a kid so marred by poverty, has thousands of dollars of ink on his arms? is he getting the tats for free or is ku caught up just like every other school that someone gives these kids some dough on the side? this has always struck my curiousity. don't think i am some troll or anything like that.... it happens everywhere. it seems like almost every bball or football recruit comes in and is well taken care of... elite kids come from low income situations and play ball at big schools. yet, somehow they always seem to have the latest shoes, clothes, iphones, etc. how is it happening without something fishy going on?

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

Poverty in America pays pretty well. Welfare,food stamps,subsidized housing....you name it. And that's not even including unemployment and hundreds of state subsidized programs. I support giving help to people that truly need it.....but this is nuts. Actually.....with half our society paying for the other half......this cannot go on and will end......possibly quite badly. I have no idea what Ben's situation is......I'm just commenting in general.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Remember, it was remarks like these that lost you the election, Governor Romney.

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

You're right. But it's still true. Facts are facts. And the election proved it. There are more takers than givers........."When people find that they can vote themselves money....that will herald the end of the Republic".

Ok....no more politics, Hawk of Ages. I like your posts and don't want to offend you........So......KU a #2 seed? Maybe #1?

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Looking like a possible 1 seed -- but only because it's getting handed to us on a silver platter by other teams losing, not because we earned it. Just the way liberal pinkos like myself prefer it.

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

Comments?? So what does that have to do with it?? Kennethst is right.....it's still true. What? Can we evil,imperialist capitalists not mention facts, comrade?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

It just dawned on me what the lead above photo is about...Elijah is spitting out his gum into HCBS hand before their post-game televised interview with ESPN's Holly Rowe!!

BainDread 1 year, 9 months ago

RockChalk26 noted that too. That's what you call "taking one for the team".

Kevin Crook 1 year, 9 months ago

Coach gives the guys little face slaps, it's a little old school token of respect and a job well done, that's what is happening in the picture. He does it often, to lots of kids at the end of the game when they are making their way to the bench and the subs are going out for the last minute or two of the game. Elijah is just looking down before it happens. As for Ben's situation, his story is all too common. The horrific poverty so many of these kids come from is truly sad. These kids come from literally nothing, and the television networks, universities, the NCAA, all make so much money from/on them. It's a tragedy, THE tragedy of our society, how many children are hungry every day. I hope Ben gets that big house, fills it with happy kids, and gives his family the life he never had.

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

If you want to see poverty......go to the 3rd world and visit a slum. That's poverty. I hear what you're saying and agree with you.......but I'm just saying......

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Totally agree with kennethst....my brother went to Calcutta on busines and came back with photos that made East St.Louis and East L.A. look like Beverly HIlls in comparision, although it was more a matter of degree of horrific conditions rather than any real improvement!!

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

Well said, Oak. I'm not denying that there is poverty here and bad conditions. But people should travel to 3rd world and see what real poverty is. Most poor people in USA have a home, a car, a cell phone, cable TV, appliances, furniture,etc.....plus an income from the feds or state. I was just putting in perspective.

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

Oak always comes through with good comments. Yes....people should travel if for no other reason than to aprreciate the USA. The word "poverty" gets thrown around a lot.......but I would guess the people that throw it have never seen what it's like in some parts of the world. Sorry....but when you're sitting on your sofa playing with your iphone while watching ESPN.....You're not poor.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe I'm old, but those adidas uniforms look like little boys pj's. I can also see these boys jumping into a bed with basketball floor pattern sheets, and a basket rim pattern pillowcase. The new Adidas Sleepwear for Kids, with matching bedding. Cool, huh?

kennethst 1 year, 9 months ago

I think KU could be a #1 seed. I never thought that would be possible during that bad 3 game stretch.....I admit.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

The thing is, just about everyone else has a bad loss too.

Kristen Downing 1 year, 9 months ago

I apologize for bringing this up again, but I am still in shock that ISU has not made a public statement about their expectations of fan behaviour. I truly believed they would. I got tired of waiting and reading complaints on-line and the only focus on the referees,so I emailed their athlectic director. I suggest you do the same:

jbp@iastate.edup>jbp@iastate.edu>

I basically said their lack of reaction implies they condone their fan's behaviors.

theend 1 year, 9 months ago

No need to apologize,Cajay......You have a great point. I never really gave ISU much thought......but I'm really starting to dislike them.

N2Deep 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope KU has the sense not to wear those uniforms. It's an absolute joke. We're supposed to be a class act, an original blue blood. Those uniforms are for schools who need attention or trying to make some sort of name for themselves. I don't think they could give those ugly things away!

Freestate69 1 year, 9 months ago

Alarming for whom? Certainly not for Kansas fans.

Bob Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't go beyond a Jayhawk to get a financial adviser.

One of our PG's graduated a few years back (names slip my mind). He got 'A's in finance. Don't have to look too hard to know he did right. Played with Houston till a year ago, then was hired as a head coach. He would know all the ins and outs of the financial end of BB.

Or you could try Reese, the QB. He works for Booth, who put up the money for the BB rules.

There are a lot of respectable Jayhwks who could be trusted!