Iowa State defeats Kansas, 83-68

• 7 p.m., Feb. 27, 2013
  • Hilton Coliseum, Ames, IA

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

KU women fall at Iowa State, 83-68

Angel Goodrich

Angel Goodrich

— Angel Goodrich and Monica Engelman combined to score 41 points, but lack of an inside game doomed Kansas University’s women’s basketball team to an 83-68 loss to No. 23 Iowa State on Wednesday at Hilton Coliseum.

Goodrich had 21 points, seven rebounds, nine assists and four steals, while fellow senior Engelman added 20 points, three boards and a pair of assists for KU (16-11 overall, 7-9 Big 12).

But center Carolyn Davis was held to a season-low two points on 1-for-5 shooting before fouling out, and KU was outscored 36-16 in points in the paint (and 19-9 in points off turnovers).

“We were good in stretches, but the bad stretches lasted too long,” KU coach Bonnie Henrickson said. “Both (Angel and Monica) played confidently, but we just didn’t have enough around them tonight. We really shot it and had good rhythm (early), and I thought we were a lot better, but we had too many stretches with not much (offense) inside and defensive lapses.”

Trailing 56-44 with 15:00 left to play, Kansas used a 13-4 run to cut the deficit to three, 60-57. However, Davis, Chelsea Gardner and Bunny Williams battled with foul trouble throughout the second half, and Iowa State (20-6, 11-5) took advantage.

Kansas tied its season-high with 10 three-pointers and shot 41.7 percent from beyond the arc.

KU led, 22-20, with 11:56 left in the first half, but Iowa State used its three-point accuracy to stifle the Jayhawks. The Cyclones hit their first six threes and seven of their first eight. ISU led by as many as nine points, 42-33, in the first half and carried the lead into the half, 44-39.

Iowa State had four players in double-figure points, led by Chelsea Poppens (22) and Hallie Christofferson (20).

Kansas will meet Oklahoma at 7 p.m. Saturday in Norman, Okla.

Comments

no_fan 1 year, 5 months ago

This seems to be a broken record with this coach....we were this, we were that, we didn't do this, we didn't do that......what have you done as a coach?

We didn't have enough around them tonight.....how about using your players on the bench sometimes and maybe, just maybe you might have something else around them. Amazing !!!

Brennan Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

If KU does not make the NCAA tournament this March, Henrickson will be gone. Unfortunately she has a really good recruiting class coming in and it would be a shame to lose a recruiting class that is #1 in the Big 12.

Max Ledom 1 year, 5 months ago

Anyone else laughing at the header image?

MinnesotaJay 1 year, 5 months ago

Hardly know what to say. Love the players, not the recent results. Nice games for Angel and Monica, however.

wakeupcall 1 year, 5 months ago

That has always been the problem with Bonnie Henrickson led teams in the past. She focuses on one or two players and forget about the rest of the team and that is why she has not been successful. It takes 5 on the court to contribute and do their part to win and be successfull and it takes the entire team to win a Championship (Look at Baylor). She never knows how to make adjustments or how to wakeup her star players (as the case with Davis). She should take some notes from HCBS and try sitting some of them when they are not working out, but instead she keeps pushing the issue and making the player look bad. I saw lots of frustration in Davis' face last night, especially at the free throw line. I am sure Davis' stock has gone down after the past few games and I hope it does not lessen her chances for a WNBA selection or for making a team. This coach IMO has ruined players games, and confidence.I can now see why so many have exited the program in the past 3-4 years under her direction (despite the grand facilities and resources available to them). Gotta move on from this coach in order to stop the bleeding. BTW, I am sure that she could use Tania Jackson about right now. SMH

big12ku 1 year, 5 months ago

She sounds like a broken record to me as well. Can't bring myself to watch any more Bonnie Henrickson coached games. If she is gone next season, maybe I can begin watching again. This long list of excuses have gone on too long and for too many years. Time for KU to cut ties and move on to another coach for sure.

JayDocMD 1 year, 5 months ago

new headline suggestion: Bonnie Ball is Back, Baby!

KGphoto 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm just glad the girls got outa there with their lives.

big12ku 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you sure she has the #1 recruiting class in the Big 12 for next season? Can't imagine that she beat Baylor and the other teams out.

Jayhawks1228 1 year, 5 months ago

Ron McHenry? That's a joke right?

KGphoto 1 year, 5 months ago

...as Zenger anxiously taps his foot, the tension in the room is palpable. Bonnie pretends not to notice, busily engaging herself in some seemingly important coaching paperwork.

Zenger: "Bonnie."

long pause

Zenger: "Bonnie!... We need to talk."

Bonnie: (Looking down, nervously shuffling papers) "Hmmm?"

Zenger: "We need to have a talk."

Bonne: "Oh, that would be great. Can it wait though? I have a thing."

Zenger: "No, we need to talk now."

Bonnie: "Absolutely. I can fit you in next Monday, say, lunchtime?"

Zenger: "Bonnie!"

Bonnie: "Hmm?"

Zenger: "This is Kansas! We win trophies and hang banners! You are sucking this up for us! Pull your head out! You have everybody returning from a Sweet Sixteen run that saved your tail last year, and you've taken a step backward! I understand losing Natalie is tough. She's the definition of glue gal, but Asia Boyd is no slouch, and you were at .500 before losing Nat.

The league is down, Bonnie. It's down and you STILL have a losing conference record. You were supposed to build on last year. What do you have to say for yourself?"

Bonnie: "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you. I'm SO very busy Doc. Can we do this later?"

Zenger: "GET OUT!!! GET... OUT!! Go back to VaTech and build them back up to mediocrity, I don't care. Go strangle somebody else's dreams for awhile. You're entire tenure here has been like a festering wound. Well I'm the doctor, lady, and I'm gonna make it better."

Bonnie: "But I.."

Zenger: "Don't TALK!! Don't talk, Bonnie. Just go... Just go. And if you see me in the hall, walk away. If you come to my office I will have you removed. You are a ghost until April. Understand? A ghost." (Points finger to the door)

(Bonnie grabs her things, spins and exits with a little attitude. Her coaching pumps clip clopping down the hall at an angry pace. Her dacron pant suit brushing loudly, back and forth in time with the steps, quieting into the distance. Eventually the room, the hall, the entire building, fall silent in her absence.)

(Thousands of Kansas basketball fans who've been peeking in the window erupt into a wild celebration. High fives and chest bumps and eventually the Rock Chalk Chant!)

Zenger: (Cracking the most subtle, wry smile, under his breath utters...) "This is MY town."

Harsh? Maybe, but my frustration has boiled over again. It's like clockwork this time of year.

Joe Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

But who would be her replacement? Lynette Woodard?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

And the Oscar for best screenplay goes to....KGPhoto for "My Bonnie Lies Under The Ocean.!!"

LakeShawnee 1 year, 5 months ago

10,681 fans watched this game last night? Impressive. Not surprising Iowa State sits in 2nd in the Big 12 behind Baylor. Something tells me that if our women were 11-5 in the league and sitting in second they wouldn't be drawing 10,000+ to a similar game hosting Iowa State.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder, "if she built it, would they come?" A circle doesn't have a beginning, and sadly, it also doesn't have an end. I guess that's a major reason why I may love Charlie Weis so much, it's more linear to him than it is to me.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Iowa has always had a huge participant and fan following for women's sports, although they were the last state to drop the old 3 girls on offense, 3 girls on defense and no one crosses mid-court.game rules.

no_fan 1 year, 5 months ago

Whenever I am having a bad day, I pop onto KU sports Women BBall to get my lol. HCBH is nothing but a joke. One thing that is guaranteed, that we can get from HCBH is a good laugh. Keep them coming. Lmbo

wakeupcall 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah, like watching a low budget movie with no rhyme or reason.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Like any Sylvester Stallone movie after Rocky!!

wakeupcall 1 year, 4 months ago

At the end of the season Bonnie needs to turn in her essay to Dr Z for grading, "Titled my Definition of Coaching". Must be 1000 words, double spaced, and typed. But then again it may be more feasible to do a research paper on coaching and she neade to shadow a Hall of Fame Coach for a few years before she can return to any coaching.

wakeupcall 1 year, 4 months ago

Correction: And she be made to shadow