Tuesday, February 26, 2013

ISU coach Fred Hoiberg impressed by Elijah Johnson, says late no-call ‘didn’t go our way’

Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg pleads with an official during the second half on Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, Iowa.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over ISU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford

Kansas guards Elijah Johnson and Travis Releford talk after the Jayhawks' 108-96 overtime victory over Iowa State on Feb. 25, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-ISU

— Fred Hoiberg sat on a folding chair at the free-throw line, staring at two studio lights that resembled upside-down white umbrellas.

It was just an hour after Kansas University’s 108-96 men’s basketball victory over Iowa State, and for the first time all year, Hoiberg, the ISU coach, was recording his TV coach’s show on the Hilton Coliseum floor following a home loss.

With the camera rolling, Hoiberg said he couldn’t fault his defense late against KU. Then he talked about how KU guard Elijah Johnson appeared to increase the degree of difficulty with every shot he made late.

Johnson’s career-high 39 points ended up lifting KU, and that included a desperation dagger with 54 seconds left in overtime that put the Jayhawks ahead, 103-96.

“That was one of our better defensive possessions, I thought, of the night,” Hoiberg said, “and he drills a big one with a second on the shot clock. Not a lot you can do about that one.”

Hoiberg didn’t hesitate to give Johnson credit for his late-game heroics, saying he played “great.”

ISU guard Korie Lucious left wishing he could have done more late.

“I definitely take ownership for that, because I was the one holding him (defensively),” Lucious said. “He hit a couple of deep threes that brought them back and gave them the lead. He played good, but I think I had to step up my defense.”

ISU also left frustrated after not getting a call on KU’s final possession in regulation.

With KU trailing 90-88 with six seconds left, Johnson drove all the way to the rim and banged into ISU’s Georges Niang, who fell down with the contact.

No charge was called, and with 4.9 seconds left, Johnson was fouled during a loose-ball scrum by Niang before hitting two free throws to tie it.

“I thought Georges made a heck of a play by stepping in there and drawing contact,” Hoiberg said. “But, hey, it happens in this game. It didn’t go our way. It’s one of those things ... you move past it and try to get on to the next play. Unfortunately, we didn’t get it done in overtime.”

With 45 seconds left in regulation, Niang hit a three-pointer to push ISU’s lead to 87-82 before lifting his arms in celebration.

At the postgame news conference, Niang was asked if he thought that shot was going to seal the game.

“The way this season has gone? No,” Niang said. “But I thought we had a good chance to win it, especially at the end. But a call’s a call, and we’re men here.

“We’re going to move on. I promise you one thing: We’re going to come back even harder the next day.”

Comments

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Watch it in slow motion. The defender starts wiggling to get a couple inches over while doing teeny steps. Generally he was a relatively still statue for a couple seconds I'll give him that, but he kept readjusting his feet, causing him to not be still before the contact. Referees see this up close from different angles and they see feet moving. EJ did slam into him but it was his chest and wasn't leading with a shoulder. So it's either a block or charge, it all depends if the defender was set or not. Try being the referee that makes that call. Take a look at Cyclone now on the ground, grabbing EJ's arm for a split second afterwards.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 5 months ago

I think you're underestimating the amount of calls ISU got throughout the game to keep them in it actorman. I know I've seen you here before and kansaspike is off-base with the ISU fan call, but you can't feel sorry for a team over 1 no-call when they were sent to the line time after time when no foul should have been called and were given the gift of Jeff Withey foul trouble when he hadn't committed any fouls. Self isn't getting T'd up unless there are some bad calls, or at least that's what the track record suggests.

ancient_hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

The whole game was officiated badly. Both teams got some breaks, both teams got hosed. But I HATE that "let the players decide the game" BS in late situations. A foul is a foul, first minute or last.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 5 months ago

I am an ex official. I was a ref for about 20 years. my Philosophy was, let the players play, all game long, but be "FAIR", to both sides, and be consistent. There was not a lot of consistency in the K.U./I.S.U. game, and yes, there were some terrible calls, throughout the game. Jeff Withy got put on the bench with an absolutely, incredibly, ridiculous charging call, earlier in the game, but people are not talking about that, which is very weak of them. However, a "no call" at the end of a game looks worse, and weak minded people always will say, if it hurts their team, that the refs lost the game (I guess the rest of the game doesn't matter). But I do agree with the announcers, that something should have been called (block or charge), on that last play. Most officials get that call wrong about 50% of the time, as it is the absolute hardest call to make, in officiating. But my real problem was the call on the floor, after that, and even though I do think, from watching it several times, E.J. did get fouled on that play, if you are the same ref who did not call a block/charge, you have also got to let that very minor contact go, especially since it did not cause E.J. to lose the ball (remember, he passed it out to Tharpe). Another point is, if he does not make that call on the floor, Tharpe just might hit the 3, and end the game in regulation, or if he misses, Iowa State gets the win. That would have been much better, than the foul that was called. And give E.J. credit, for stepping up to the line, with as much pressure on him as there was, and knocking down both of those free throws, to send the game into over time. I mean, with those crazy ass fans, right there in front of him, wow, he is a "Man"!

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 5 months ago

I think late in the game the refs should swallow the whistle unless some kind of wild violation occurs. My critism on the play with 5 seconds left was the foul called on ISU's Niang. The game should have been decided on Tharpe's 3 pointer.

Games need to be decided on the floor, not on a flop. In game situations, you need to be strong.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 5 months ago

Just to elaborate a bit more on my comment, but trying to not beat a dead horse. ISU recorded 29 total FGA's inside the arc. They shot 34 FT's. That's an amazing amount of FT's on so few shots they had opportunities to draw fouls on.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

You make a good point, phogphan. But I just hate to see a game end the way it did. It reminded me of the sixth game of the '85 World Series. The Royals benefited after the horrible call when the Cardinals self-destructed, but I've never felt great about that championship because of how tainted it was.

John White 1 year, 5 months ago

Your problem is that you are just looking at the end of the game, and completely ignoring the rest of it. I would say ISU got the majority of the calls throughout the game. You are completely forgetting that and blaming the whole game on one call that went KU's way at the end. Google the psychological theory on "Recency Bias".

Krohnutz 1 year, 5 months ago

I have no idea how many times I have posted this over the years and argued it to my friends. A team like ISU should NEVER be outshooting anybody from the free throw line. They don't even glance inside the paint. Yet last night they went to the charity stripe more times than a drunk hits last call. The only team I have ever seen get to the FT line more often than ISU last night while shooting nothing but 3's is a team that starts with a D and rhymes with puke.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

Self admitted that the T was intentional to get the guys fired up, so I don't think you can blame that one on the officiating.

And Ancient is right that the officiating was horrible throughout the game. But overall, I thought KU got the benefit of more calls in their favor than against them. And of course the one at the end stands out glaringly.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 5 months ago

I can certainly appreciate you wanting the game to be completely untainted, but the closest you can get to that in sports is tennis. Every other game is swayed largely by officiating. Withey gets early fouls he shouldn't have, he ends up not blocking a shot. Yeah, I just feel like you do that to fire up your team by showing them how fired up you are and that you have their back. Unless you're trying to get ejected so Dennis Hopper can coach his son to a victory I just don't see why you yell at a ref unless you disagree with the call. I'll disagree with you that KU got more calls, but I didn't keep a tally. It was a hard-fought win either way. I do feel for the ISU players and some of their true fans that really wanted this win for the players and not for themselves. They played great against KU twice and came up empty. Chances are they get a 3rd shot in the Big12 tourney. Don't expect an easy game in the Big12 semifinal! And just enjoy the fact the Royals won the series in '85; Royals fans have so few things to reminisce about as it is at this point!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

No disrespect, actorman, but I don't see how anyone could watch that game and say KU got the benefit of more calls than ISU, esp. when you look at the free throw disparity. The only crucial calls I can remember that went KU's way were the EJ drive at the end of the game and Kevin Young raising his hand instead of Withey shortly before that. In ISU's favor, we had at least two phantom calls against Withey that benched him for much of the second half, a goaltend that should have given us two points but instead goes down as a turnover, and a nonexistent overtime "travel" by Withey that kept hope alive for the Cyclones.

Glen Miller 1 year, 5 months ago

I beg to differ on KU getting more more calls. I thought Iowa State did a pretty good job of flopping on several calls, especially against Withey. Johnson was fouled before he even got to Niang (who also was already falling backwards before Johnson even got into him)...... so that call is a non issue in my opinion. They didn't call Lucious, so they shouldn't have called Johnson.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 5 months ago

actorman, I watched the start of the game on ESPN replay not having payed a great deal of attention for the first couple minutes last night. Looked like Lucious just threw his arm out at EJ and drew a foul and Self got T'd up. He can say he just did it to get the guys fired up, but he was livid after Withey had already drawn a ridiculously weak moving screen call. After the fact HCBS wanted to sound like he was totally in control, but he was pissed at that call and it was erroneous from what I could see. Just an FYI 'cause I definitely understand why you don't want any clouds hanging over KU's potentially 9th str8 conference title.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 5 months ago

Coach Self did indeed say he got that T, to fire up the team, and get them more energized, but make no mistake (I am an ex coach too, not just an ex ref), he was sending a message to the officials! You only get that T, when some calls are not going your way. The players know it, and the refs know it. It served it's purpose, that's for sure.

ku_guy505 1 year, 5 months ago

We, as KU fans, have experienced many heartbreaking calls and no-calls happen in our storied existence. It's a part of the game and in the end, its the body of work that you have to look at as a whole and not just one play. Sure it's at the end of the game where everyone remembers it, but that play still makes or breaks the game if it happens in the first half... just no one remembers it. It's over. Get on with your life.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

I remember a charge call on Jeff when one of the defender's feet was still off the ground, mid-step, as he tried to get in position. And on the goal-tending non-call, it looked to me like it was an ISU player's hand in the net. That's basketball--calls and missed calls go both ways. This victory is in no way "tainted."

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought the same thing on the goal-tending call. Nice to see the one ref look up at the screen while in their huddle. My thought was if they're taking 20 seconds to figure it out then they don't have a single clue who caused the interference.

doolindalton 1 year, 5 months ago

How did ISU get screwed? Niang was clearly arching his back toward the floor before contact and was not set, It was a flop Those are not supposed to be called, That and a couple of other "charges" shouldn't have been called. And Niang clearly fouled EJ on the floor reaching for the ball, I am glad Fraschilla is not a ref; he is always finding ways he thinks KU is getting an unfair advantage and rarely points out when they get screwed by the refs,

VaJay 1 year, 5 months ago

I am also getting tired of Franschilla. He seems to have morphed over the last couple of seasons into someone who has a gripe against us. He used to be OK and reasonably fair, and now he seems to take every opportunity to side with our foes & BEAT THE ISSUE TO DEATH. I had to hit the mute button when he was in repetitive mode.

And all this stuff about the non call is detracting from the fabulous once-in-a-lifetime game EJ had that we got to enjoy. I couldn't sleep for an hour after the game, I was so wired. The killer shot with 1 sec left on the shot clock was unreal. And cruelly, I did enjoy seeing Hoiberg's kid cry!!

Alohahawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Refereeing is judgmental at best, and is not an easy task to do. Be that as it may, ref's are paid to make the best calls to their best ability. This was one of those games which left a lot of unhappy fans, on both sides, frustrated. It also had one of the worst calls I've ever seen - when Young claimed the foul which Withey clearly committed, and one of the best calls, the "No Call" - when Niang clearly FLOPPED.

Normally, I think Fran F. calls a pretty good game, but he sure wasn't seeing the "Flop" the same way I saw it. I replayed it about 10 times, regular and in slow motion, and Niang is clearly starting to fall backwards before Johnson could have collided with him. Then, to follow it up, Niang sits there with his mouth agape, like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. (What? Don't you believe me? I wouldn't do a thing like that.) Yeah, Right! Excellent "No call", ref.

I still think that at least one of Ejim's rebound/dunks (First ISU field goal if I remember correctly), was goaltending. The ball sure didn't have time to carom past the rim before he had his hands on it.

My congratulations to Coach Self for his 500th win; To the team which never gave up (This was like the two games KU won against Texas when Chalmers lit it up against Durant, except that ISU had 3 or 4 sharpshooters); And great game EJ. I've waited a long time for you to drive the lane (which helped to open up your 3 point shots!)

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket with this post. I've made numerous attempts to send posts lately, and this site seems not to like my computer. I haven't had much luck getting posted since the conference games started. Although, most of what I would have said has been posted by others. Great observations, guys and gals.

Three conference games left and counting. And with these overtime games, it should prepare KU for the Big 12 and the NCAA tournaments. RCJHKU!!!!

rlheckman 1 year, 5 months ago

I think Fran is still mad that KU bloodied his sons nose

tdscpa 1 year, 5 months ago

Fran is still OK. (His son is a Sooner). He is just trying to excite his son by being a Jayhawk hater.

daverinoku 1 year, 5 months ago

Yes, I am totally biased, but the more I saw that play, the more it looked like a flop. EJ's feet hit Niang in the chest -- EJ did not plough into him with his own upper body like a normal charge.

dek9219 1 year, 5 months ago

+1 You're the first to say that about Niang and actually flopping. Had he stayed straght up he would have gotten the call. You are absolutely right, he FLOPPED and therefore a NO CALL.

bradh 1 year, 5 months ago

I thought the refs called it poorly, but evenly, throughout the game. The first half there were a lot of ticky tack and phantom fouls called on both teams. The second half there was a lot of contact not called. You can't get upset over one bad call when there were dozens of bad calls that went both ways.

jhox 1 year, 5 months ago

As much as I appreciate the win, there is no question we got a Duke type call on Elijah's final drive in regulation. Others are correct to point out that during the course of a game bad calls go both ways, and they did go to the line more than us. However, if the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee our fans would be just as upset as they were. A call like that at the end of the game is amplified. Elijah's dunk at the end of OT put salt in the wound. Imagine someone doing that to us at Allen Field House.

John White 1 year, 5 months ago

Perhaps ISU should have showed up for the OT and it may have been a different story. Let's not ignore all the missed calls that went ISU's way earlier in the game. More importantly, let's not forget that the controversial call at the end of the game didn't lose it for them. They still had 5 seconds to make a basket for the win and when they failed to do that, they still had 5 minutes of OT to win the game. They did neither.

They didn't make plays when the game was on the line. They have only themselves to blame for that. Throughout the game, when all the calls were going against KU, you would find me in the comments saying the same thing about KU. They were turning the ball over and not guarding the perimeter. There was more than enough blame on the players in both situations.

stigs 1 year, 5 months ago

Like maybe Marcus Smart doing a backflip at mid-court after OSU's win? NEVER in my experiences at AFH have fans ever thrown objects onto the court or at players as they were leaving.

MOSOHAWK 1 year, 5 months ago

Old-timers will remember Billy Tubbs being doused with a beverage leaving the court and his players being bombarded with whatever KU fans had in their hands at the time after he and his players filpped off the AFH crowd in an overtime win against the Jayhawks. There was talk of coach Tubbs being cited for inciting a riot for his behavior, Not a proud moment for KU fans, but you had to be there to appreciate how justified it was.

rlheckman 1 year, 5 months ago

Forte did just that at Allen Fieldhouse

ku_foaf 1 year, 5 months ago

I believe they got a few close calls going their way, and several did involve Niang. Perhaps this was a "makeup no call."

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

Actorman. B.S. The referees were wrong several times when the announcers or Hoiberg didn't make major issues of them. The bad calls evened up despite K.U. getting two that favored it very late in the game. This was an excellent example of how a game can get away from veteran refs who are pretty good at their jobs. The refs had nothing to do with Johnson getting uber hot at the end of regulation and in overtime. That's why ISU lost. They've been beaten by a better KU team, better coached on two occasions this year and by that same KU coach 8 out of ten times since he has been at KU.

Hoiberg did do a good job with his defense. I was pretty sure he'd lock down on McLemore. I didn't expect his scheme would hinder Withey as much on defense.

Anyway, Rock Chalk Jayhawk. fu isu

Raydude 1 year, 5 months ago

What about the pass that they threw.....that went into the basket, by accident for 3 points? It is what it is.....they lost a game of basketball....fair and square as humans can make it.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

I know of no game, anywhere, anytime, where the last call or no call actually made the difference in the game. There were many bad calls and no calls in this game. What about the flagrant one on Releford? The phantom calls on Withey, two of them? The phantom call on Elijah? Similar calls on ISU players? If any of those are called correctly then there's no need for an OT. One team or the other wins in regulation, depending on which of those calls was made correctly. Bottom line is these things happen. It's not a good situation, no way. Both of these teams have been "victims" of poor officiating in multiple games in the past. And it will happen again. Grow up and get over it.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 5 months ago

That is a load of BS. No way there was any taint what so ever associated with this outcome. It was a great game. There were bad calls both ways, which are common to hard fought physical games.

Ross Hartley 1 year, 5 months ago

Two points is two points whenever they come. The call on Withey for a charge was just as bad.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 5 months ago

EJ's performance erased all those bad calls. Both team fought hard. Better team won in the end. Fred is as classy as Bill. Good game, a very good game. Couldn't ask for a better one. Let's close the conf with another bang.

kansaspike 1 year, 5 months ago

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

So let me get this straight, moderators: it's okay for someone to make the imbecilic comment, "Get off our site," simply because someone is expressing an opinion, but not okay for that person to respond to it?

Makes perfect sense to me.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Go to the main story if you want to see photographic evidence. Under the comments. First EJ's arm was grabbed on the way to the goal. No call. Then take a look at the picture sequence of the defender who is not set with his feet. Flop or no flop isn't relevant if the feet aren't set. Add in the phantom goal tending call and the Withey phantom charge and ESPN has to cover this today through a different looking glass than Fran's immediate reaction.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

And BTW, moderators, what exactly is it about saying that I apologize to the idiots for calling kansaspike one that is against your policies?

mgonzo182 1 year, 5 months ago

The officiating was very poor both ways. It was a great game. Withey had 2 phantom cals against him. The first was down right horrible (replayed over and over on sports center). Then how the heck young got the foul over him late was bad.

Both teams got jobbed throughout. ISU had there chances but they themselves left the door open.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Withey's fourth "foul" -- when Niang drove the lane on him -- was even worse than his phantom "charge" before that. I saw literally no contact on that one. Sure, I can understand ISU fans being livid about the no-call at the end, but this win is only "tainted" if you weren't paying attention to the WHOLE game. And the Cyclones have only themselves to blame for not showing up in overtime in either game vs. KU this season.

GreatJake 1 year, 5 months ago

Stolen????

I guess I did not see the same two games.

KU had 5 players on the court at the same time as ISUs 5 players. Neither team had more or less players on the court.

The same refs officiated the game in regulation and OT.

OT was 5 minutes for both teams and both teams had only 5 players on the court in OT as well.

Foul calls - think there were a few more on KU than ISU.

I dont think KU got points for nice uniforms......

Cora Smith 1 year, 5 months ago

Subpar nite for the offiiating crew. I'm sure they will get letters of reprimand for not fouling out Withey and not making a call at the end of regulation. However, I think if you analyze the video you will find that bad calls went both ways. I am proud that the Jayhawks always found a way to answer and stood tall when they could have easily folded. I wrote them off after the Iowa State center hit that three near the end of regulation. Just happy that a player who did not give up, stood up, and took ownership.

BainDread 1 year, 5 months ago

I hope the letter of reprimand includes peeking at the video board on the non-reviewable goaltending call.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

If there looking at the last foul on Withey they need to look at his first four too. At least two of those were equally as poor.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 5 months ago

An awful lot is being made of the no call at the end of regulation but in my view the no call went both ways in that sequence.

If you watch the early part of Johnson's drive to the hoop before he collided with Niang, there is an awful lot of body contact by the ISU guard.

I was yelling foul well before the impact with Niang but we didn't get the call.

Earlier in the game that contact would have been called a foul and would have put Johnson at the free throw line anyway.

actorman 1 year, 5 months ago

Biggunz, it's funny how I've never seen you once post that way when people complain about calls that go against KU. Unlike the majority of homer fans, I look at things honestly. I don't like it when KU gets screwed by calls, and I don't like it when KU gets bailed out by calls. I like the game to be decided on the court. And if you or anyone doubts how much I love the Jayhawks, simply go back and look at my posts over the years. Being a Jayhawk fan doesn't mean ignoring reality.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

If you're a referee and the defender's feet are moving its not a charge. Of you can convince any of us that his feet were set then you have something. Unfortunately there are pictures that show his feet weren't set as well as EJ getting his arm grabbed.

John Randall 1 year, 5 months ago

It can very well be charging when both players are moving. If you want to comment on rule interpretations, learn the rules.

jhox 1 year, 5 months ago

Actorman is a KU fan who posts on here regularly. Why on earth would a KU fan who correctly points out we got a break be a whiner?

I'm blown away that so many KU fans can't recognize that we caught a huge break, and can't put themselves in the shoes of the other team, and understand what it would be like if that had happened to us. KU fans have the highest basketball IQ's of anyone in the country. I'm surprised so many can't recognize that we caught a big break on the kind of call that just doesn't normally happen. We need to enjoy the win but there is no point gloating about it. And there is certainly no point hammering on one of our own for pointing it out.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

I can absolutely put myself in the shoes of the other team and recognize that we caught a break on that one play. But it's an insult to our players, in my opinion, to say this game was "tainted" by one non-call that went our way when so many other huge calls did not. The game was not determined by one play -- that's the fallacy of judging a whole 45 minutes based on the SportsCenter highlight reel.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

It's also an insult if you look at the pictures that clearly show the defender wasn't set as well as the picture of EJ getting his arm grabbed before the contact. Pictures are on the main story. The reason the defender had a hard time getting set was because Self always has the alley oop as a possibility. The defender wasn't completely certain. That hesitation allowed his feet to be moving while he tried to get in EJ's path. Pictures don't lie. RCJ

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but looking at it in real time, knowing the way that play is usually called, I'd say we caught a break. Either way, though, it's still just one big play among many.

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

Yeah! Just like fans from other teams do. What B.S., a cart load full!! Stick with your Missouri team. They really need you this year.

cklarock 1 year, 5 months ago

No question we caught a break, but it didn't decide the game. The 5 minutes of overtime did.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 5 months ago

Something we must remember with Johnson is that he started this season after knee surgery and he was not fully healed. He was protective of his health and this showed in his style of play. It would not have been good for him to play with abandon. It is a sacrifice on the players bodies even to play this modern game with the increasing violence. EJ was smart enough to know it is a long season and by playing with some caution it was his best hope of completing it.

Several prior years saw our players hurt by the end of the year. I think of Sharron Collins in particular but it was also true of Heinrich and Haas and I think it cost their teams dearly even national titles. Flying into the paint sometimes is asking for trouble and EJ was smart enough not to do it early in the season and it has resulted in his looking good for what we hope will be a successful run to the finish.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 5 months ago

The late no call was a break for Iowa State as the reply clearly shows the Iowa State player was not set and it should have been a blocking foul. Calling the other foul only made up for this mistake on the officials part and so justice prevailed.

fansincewilt 1 year, 5 months ago

Will Self's 500th win fade in memory? I doubt it. This one will stand out for a long time to come. Regardless how this team ends, this game will be remembered.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 5 months ago

It's been said many times before...it's hard to hate Hoiberg. Classy at the bitter end!

John Mueller 1 year, 5 months ago

As my oooold pawt-nah Bill Grigsby would have said.....

Be-U-ti-ful performance by Elijah Johnson.

Period, full stop.

The only thing that is tainted is Fran Fraschilla. He is a bitch.

Cannot listen to the idiot. Cannot.

And, he should never be allowed to call his kids game, not that his kid ever plays.....

ESPN needs to let him go.

Btw, no satellite. Snowing too hard. No Bob Davis, even the radio signal failed in the snow.

Had to FaceTime Tucson AZ and have the cousin hold his iPhone to the tv to watch the OT.

I will never forget it.

I didn't realize it was Hoibergs kid. My apologies in arrears for calling the kid a grommet.

Hey, I cried when Chambliss hit that homer too. It's ok kid.

Just go to Kansas when u grow up, that yellow is hard on the eyes anyway....

Unbelievable performance, Elijah. Unbelievable! RCJH, indeed!

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 5 months ago

I wanted to tell the kid: love sports and this happens a lot, but the wins are pretty sweet too.

Phoggie_Thinking 1 year, 5 months ago

Is Fran's boy on the OSU roster? Making it a good thing if KU lost and OSU then would be tied for the conference lead. I don't think it is intentional, but I think he was announcing a bit like a "fan" instead of a commentator. The call could have been made, but really it is not made a lot of the time. The whole thing is meaningless UNLESS SOMEBODY MAKES THE SHOTS. PS the somebody has a name: Elijah.

Jim Stauffer 1 year, 5 months ago

Now everyone is on the bandwagon to make calls the same at end game situations as before.

That is because for years the media and fans have screamed, "let the players decide the game." Now they see the results and it is ugly and they want to take it back.

It should never have been that way. They should always call the game the same at the end as at the beginning.

By the way, I also agree it was a charge.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Look at the photos on the main story. By rule the feet need to be set. They are not.

dek9219 1 year, 5 months ago

Wrong about the feet needing to be set. You can be moving in a guarding postion, the reason there was no call is becuase he flopped, plain and simple. Rewatch it and you'll see he was flopping hoping to get the call. He didn't. Great no-call by the refs. Period

thmdmph 1 year, 5 months ago

I wish our posts would move on from the excessive calls and no calls and comments and celebrates the amazing performances of the players and the coaching. Calls go both ways in games and in a season. It all averages out. I personally glad a call finally went our way when it counts, especial on somebody else's court. Doesn't happen much, so enjoy it.

Now, EJ was just surreal last night. What a performance by Releford. He has been amazing all year on both ends of the court. Mac needs to wake up. I felt this even at his peak, but Ben definitely needs to stay another year. If he leaves early, he's going to be another mediocre Jayhawk that leave too early to the NBA. He has so many weakness, biggest of which is he cannot create his own shots. His movements away from the ball is pretty bad. Unfortunately, his strength is not to create his own shots, but to catch and shoot.

This game showed lots and lots of character and decision making that if I was Self, I'd be so proud. KY's instinctive reaction to Jeff's late game foul by taking responsibility for it. EJ's alertness to the shot clock. Releford's senior leadership. EJ's maturity in the post-game interviews.

It's incredible that this season, we've had so many players who've had games of their lives. Tonight, EJ. Jeff, Ben, Travis, and Naadir have been in the zone as well. Next up is Perry Ellis.

tis4tim 1 year, 5 months ago

Agree with this.

Now, I don't fault us bloggers for discussing it because, as Kansas fans, it's our job to scrutinize everything to the nth degree. What bothers me is how the national media is portraying this game. First, Fran and Brent beat the whole no-call incident to death and then, as another poster pointed out, Stuart Scott lead with the block/charge no-call on ESPN instead of the phenomenal game and performance by EJ. The talking heads obviously decided the refs would be the story instead of the player(s).

The fact is the calls were bad all around and to make the no-call the story is to forget how clutch EJ was.

1. EJ hit two huge threes to keep us within striking distance near the end of regulation even when it looked bleak. Without those, we're not even talking about the no-call. We're discussing why we can't guard the three ball (yet again) in a loss.

2. Even after EJ goes to the line following "the call", he still has to make two pressure-packed free throws or we go home with an "L".

3. "Blackout mode" in OT.

On a side note, just last week I saw Syracuse dunk on a breakaway with 3 or 4 seconds left in their game, up big on their opponent. Not a word about it. And do you think anyone would have led a show with an indictment of the refs had Seth Curry just gone off for 39 in a game for Duke? To me it's just part and parcel of ESPN's continued lack of respect for our storied program. (Anyone see the crawler at the bottom of the TV during the final minutes of the Syracuse-Marquette game? It said "Kasas versus Iowa State tip off at 9:07 pm" Kasas? Really? But I digress).

Anyway, enough about the call. This is about EJ and a performance for the ages. I just wish the media would see it that way too.

justinryman 1 year, 5 months ago

If they want to make a deal out of a bad cal Jeff I mean Kevins foul was called correctly, the reason it was given to the wrong player (sure it helped the KY put up his hand) but the refs were not in position. So they couldn't see it correctly.

Jeff's first foul. Jeff's 2nd charge. Jeff's foul when he was next to a player. The goaltending call. The reach in on EJ. All of their moving screens and only one gets called, we were called for two.

Yeah it's a wash on the bad calls. Time to get over it. No ref will ever call a perfect game. No coach will coach a perfect game and no player will play the perfect game. So mistakes happen. Time to move on.

SStock1083 1 year, 5 months ago

Blown call or not, ISU had 5 more minutes to seal the victory and they choked.

KansasComet 1 year, 5 months ago

Actorman,

If you have a chance to watch the game again, it's worth it. The officiating was not the best, but it went both ways. 5 count em, 5 calls against KU in the final minute of overtime, in a 30 second period. A foul called against Young, Withey, and EJ. A five second call on Releford and travel on Withey, did I mention within a 30 second period? I have never seen anything like it in my life. It was a fight to the finish and we never gave up. Go Jayhawks!

jessejayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

For anyone who recorded the game. Please replay the "no call" at the end of regulation and see where Niang's feet were when contact was made. It appeared to me that he was too far under the basket (ie: inside the little white arc). If so, the no call was correct. Also the foul that was called was legitimate cause Niang definitely grabbed EJ's arm.

MinorThreat 1 year, 5 months ago

espn3 should the reply of the game.... I agree, his feet were close.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 5 months ago

The primary defender can be inside the arc and get a charge...the secondary defender has to be outside. Again, I'm not saying anything about the call, I'm just trying to restate the rule.

ancient_hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I watched it a dozen times frame by frame. Niang was outside the arc, his feet were set before EJ exploded up, and he was straight up and down taking EJ's knees in his chest. It was a charge.

But a bad call with 5 seconds left is no more important to the final score than a bad call in the first 5 seconds. And there were plenty of bad calls both ways. Niang slid under Withey for Jeff's 4th foul just minutes before that. The two calls self-cancel.

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 5 months ago

the above tenet theme on these posts, is that ISU got screwed? had the game "stolen" from them? complete nonsense.

officials call the game...they make good calls, they make bad calls. the charge-block no call was not a bad call....could it have been called? of course. (he was falling back to avoid the contact...if he would have stayed straight, it's probably made...see Travis Releford at Okie st). but i've seen worse for sure.

exhibit A: Withey's third foul. clearly, NOT a charge...and also clearly, a block on ISU. that wiped out potential two points from us, and they hit a three on the other end. five point swing. you don't think that mattered late?

Elijah Johnson made every play possible. he's standing at the FT line with 5 seconds left, and has to hit BOTH FTs to tie the game? i mean that is clutch bball right there. all those threes he stuck, all those drives to the basket. we have to give him credit for the win....to say ISU lost it because of the refs is utter nonsense.

ISU scored 50 in the 2nd half....you can't win with that? KU is in complete control of its destiny for the 9th league title in a row.....great 500th win for Coach....Go Jayhawks!

kranny 1 year, 5 months ago

To me it looked like his feet were set. We looked at it a few times but the point is moot. There were many horrible calls and no calls. The glaring issue is the point int time of the game that it happened. But ISU had 5 more minutes to win the game. ISU los t the game under the 4 minute mark when they jacked up 2 threes early in the shot clock for misses that turned into 4 pts for KU an cut the lead to 3 points with 3:33 left in the game. They couldve ran the shot clock down, drove the lane got fouled and added no pressure free throws. Horrible late game management.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

There's several pictures on the main article that clearly show his feet weren't set. That's why it was a no call.

kranny 1 year, 5 months ago

Pictures or not, feet set or not, anybody could see that clearly there was contact and something should have been called either a blocking foul or a charge. Point is-that one play isn't what lost the game for ISU, it was being in love with the three ball and missing them when clock management should have been practiced. And missing a crucial free throw in overtime that allowed the tie on EJ's free throws.

Robert Brock 1 year, 5 months ago

Hoiberg has done a fine job turning around a lousy Iowa State program. He needs to work on the D some more if he hopes to win tough games.

d_bradley27 1 year, 5 months ago

+1000 ISU has no one but themselves to blame for this loss. They were up 5 with 23 seconds to play. They had several opportunites at the FT line to seal the same and missed. I'm sick of hearing the last play cost them the game. Total BS. This game isn't tainted. Winners take the game. We took what was in front of us. The end. KU fans who apologize for calls do our players a GREAT disservice. They battled their arse's off. Look at the tape again and tell me who got the favorable whistle throughout the game. It wasn't KU.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 5 months ago

This is why I love college basketball. How many of us thought KU was out of it...again? I know that calls at the end of the game gets the press. However, the game was just amazing.

Soon if people keep complaining, we will soon have video replay for everything.

Ksofks 1 year, 5 months ago

Don't feel too bad about the call at end of game. I studied the offensive goal tending call in super slow motion (during the second half)-- it was clearly an ISU player's hand in the net rather than K. Youngs hand. The basket should have counted. Also, rotten charge call on Withey earlier in 2nd half.

jrbill67 1 year, 5 months ago

How soon they forget. Did Coach Fred or the ISU fans or Fran Frischella forget about the charge on Withey when Niang had one foot on the floor and slid into Withey. That play cost KU a basket, a free throw, and a foul, when it should've been a blocking foul. The refs were bad for both teams. Get over it.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't care any more that we won this game.

I just want everyone on here to kiss and make up. We need to save our nit picking and name calling for Missouri.

Oh - wait....

ku_foaf 1 year, 5 months ago

Iowa State fans showed atypical bad behavior:

A fan had to be restrained from confronting Bill Self Throwing plastic microphones at the players when speaking to reporters (I didn't see it, was told it happened) Booing at the end of the game

They acted like they were cheated and were owed a win since we gave one to TCU!

ISU has always been one of the better crowds in the Big 12.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 5 months ago

First the call at the end of regulation - it has been said before Lucious reached and grabbed well before any contact with Niang. The refs decided to no call. ESPN loves to highlight controversy so that is all everyone sees but not unlike every major news organization they fail to show the whole story. It doesn't sell well. Besides Niang already had his quota of calls - sliding on a charge call on Withey and how many old man drives where he throws up a prayer that was answered by the refs bailing him out. Plus the charge foul call on Withey was much earlier in the game and impacted his playing time. ISU still had 5 sec in regulation and OT to do something as well.

I loved the intensity of the game. Hoiberg is a class coach. The ISU fans throwing stuff on the court and guy charging Self ????? That is far more embarrassing than EJ's dunk -which was wrong and him and Self apologized. Did Hoiberg or ISU apologize for the above ????

Any way EJ was beyond amazing. Hope this gives him some confidence for the remainder or the year.

ONe more thing - BMac - I have said it since the start of Big 12 play. He has to learn to dribble left handed and be able to make individual 1 on 1 moves to have an impact in the NBA. He will get drafted on potential alone but he still has a lot of work to do and staying one more year would be extremely beneficial. And he can't disappear in road games.

jahawkdave 1 year, 5 months ago

Everyone focuses on that last no-call because it was so crucial, but like has been said before, the inaccurate goaltending call was worse than a no-call, and Withey's charge call was also worse than a no call.

To me things all even out in the end...now if they had called Niang for a block on that last play then maybe they could complain.

Anyone else notice Niang setting a moving screen and throwing his hip out on screens that where allowed throughout the game, this was an evenly terribly officiated game

johninkc1 1 year, 5 months ago

Let's see. Bad calls by the officials all night long. Many that go against KU- see Withey fouls and goal tending call against KU. Then you have ISU players talking (rather arguing) while putting their arms around the officials- no thought of unfair play here. Then Hoiberg gets out of sorts. If ISU coaches had noticed that Withey fouled rather than Young maybe we don't get a key rebound or wait maybe ISU wanted Withey to be on the floor. ISU had him out of defensive position all night. If all things are equal- one no call by the officials and Withey not fouling out in regulation was not why ISU lost. The Prophet outplayed ISU and the whiners can go away- read something less nice.

cajayfan 1 year, 5 months ago

Fran's son plays for Oklahoma. I do not believe any announcer does well when their child plays for another team in the conference(even if he is a benchwarmer) or it is the college they attended. Human nature. I think Jay Bilas is the only one who manages to stay unbiased. I can't believe they are not looking at the worst mistake the refs made. Giving Kevin Withey's fourth foul. That was classic. Gotta love Kevin for the intangibles.

johninkc1 1 year, 5 months ago

Great point about Fran. Thought he loved KU until his son went to OU. Now he sees us as a competitor of his son's team. Perhaps we need him to cover games in another conference.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 5 months ago

I still think the was a missed call of EL drive. Not the charge everyone was thinking about though. I saw ISU #13's left hand hit EJ's ball arm as EJ was going up. If this was call though, I think EJ still would have hit both free throws. But this would have given ISU another second to go down court for a better final shot. I'm glad for that no-call since it made ISU hurry their shot.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I believe a lot of the calls had to do with the pace of this game. There were a lot of questionable calls. But the pace of this game was the fastest I've seen all year. I've never seen two teams shoot so well. It's a shame somebody had to lose. If both KU and Iowa State could clone this game each time for the rest of the year, they would be seeing each other in the championship game in April.

jhawks1987 1 year, 5 months ago

Watch the replay it looks like KU player is pushed on way to basket and Iowa St player stepped in and starting following back before charge so it could have been called either way and I agree something should have been called but the truth is Iowa St choked.......They had a 5 point lead with 45 secoinds to go and blew it......so live with it Iowa St fans