Saturday, February 23, 2013

In rematch vs. TCU, Jayhawks bring back bit of history for milestone

Kansas' Jeff Gueldner, right, is at the center of this hug scrum as time ran out on the 1988 national title game.

Danny Manning, star of Kansas University’s 1988 NCAA championship team, and Larry Brown, coach of the squad, won’t be in Allen Fieldhouse today for the Jayhawks’ 115 Years of KU Basketball celebration.

Manning has business in Orlando, Fla., and Brown in Dallas where their Tulsa and SMU teams will be playing games against Central Florida and East Carolina.

In fact, just two of the 10 players who played against Oklahoma in the title game 25 years ago — Jeff Gueldner and Mike Maddox — were able to get away to watch KU’s 2012-13 Jayhawks play TCU in ‘88 throwback jerseys. Also on hand for the 3 p.m., tip against TCU will be ‘88 assistant coach R.C. Buford, plus team members Mark Randall and Marvin Mattox and perhaps some late additions/surprises.

“We don’t talk every day, but whenever you talk to them it seems like you talked to them yesterday. That’s everybody (on ‘88 team),” Manning said in an interview with the Journal-World.

Almost the entire team returned for the 20-year reunion.

“We actually went to the alumni center on campus. That was the first time that most of us were in a room together watching the championship game together and that was neat,” Manning recalled.

“Before that, we all stayed in contact through everybody else. ‘So-and-so’s doing this, so-and-so’s doing that.’ Now, there’s more communication. We get email chains going and we’re texting all the time.

“We knew we weren’t the most talented team but we all were willing to sacrifice for each other. We sacrificed, played hard, bought into coach Brown’s system and we had guys who had great feel for the game.”

In all, about 200 former Jayhawk players, coaches and managers will attend today’s game, which is a rematch of KU’s 62-55 road loss to the Horned Frogs on Feb. 6. They’ll attend a pre-game reception in Horejsi Center, watch the game, then attend a banquet.

“I’m sure other places in America do it, but I don’t know if anyone does it any cooler than what they have at KU for years, with the reunions (every five years),” KU coach Bill Self said. “Them coming back and being with each other, to me, is what’s really cool. Nobody ever forgets those (college) days.”

Self was on Oklahoma State’s staff back in ’88.

“I remember going to see Larry Brown Sunday night before Monday’s game against Oklahoma in Kansas City. I thought it was really cool. He wanted to know how we broke the press against Oklahoma. I’m thinking, ‘You’re going to ask me, but I know for a fact that you’re not going to listen,’” Self said, laughing. “He had a 6-11 guy he could throw it into and break it that way. I wasn’t a part of it, but it was nice to feel somewhat included because of my past history with coach.”

Helping one’s neighbor: Self came to the rescue of KU director of basketball operations Doc Sadler, whose car was stuck in a snow bank near Walmart on Thursday. Self also stopped to help free a motorist in Lawrence, who wrote this on Twitter: “Do you want to know why Self is worth the $52 million for 10 years? He drives by me trying to push a car out of a lot and parks to help... Walks up and says ‘looks like you boys need a man with some muscle’ and we made it happen. What a bad---.”

Did he make the muscle comment?

“I might have,” Self said with a smile. “I think that was an exaggeration. Doc called me. I said, ‘Are you coming to work?’ He said, ‘I’d like to but I’m stuck,’ so I went over there. He’s such a bad driver,” Self joked.

Traylor’s OK: Freshman Jamari Traylor sparked KU by scoring four second-half points Wednesday at Oklahoma State despite playing with a sprained right thumb.

“It’s hard to close my hand and make a tight hand and squeeze the ball. It’s actually not that bad,” Traylor said. “I think I’m going to take the tape off this game.”

Chicago native Traylor said the recent snowstorm tops anything he’d seen back home.

“I don’t remember ever having a snow day,” he said of school being canceled as KU was for two days.

He did have a mishap with his cellphone. “I was walking down a hill and stumbled and lost it. When I found it, it was shattered. I think a plow machine ran over it,” Traylor said.

Recalling the loss: TCU still has just one win in the Big 12 — over KU.

“Looking back we only had two points in the first 10 minutes (13 at half),” center Jeff Withey said. “They played great defense. They held us without scoring. It’s going to be a different story (today). We have a lot of confidence right now. We are definitely not going to score two points the first 10 minutes, I guarantee that. It’ll be fun to play against them again and get payback and be able to be in the fieldhouse. Our fans will be here. It’ll be a tough game. They know they can beat us.”

Visitors: Tyus Jones, a 6-1 junior point guard from Apple Valley (Minn.) High who is ranked No. 3 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com, and No. 6 Justise Winslow, 6-5 junior from Houston’s St. John’s High, are planning on attending today’s game, weather permitting.

Comments

FL_Jhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't care about getting any payback against TCU. There wasn't anything that TCU did to us that we didn't allow them to do. We were overconfident and we fell apart.

I would certainly like us to win by a wide margin, and we should, but if we do get up by 15 or 20, let the 2nd team come in and give our starters a rest. We have a huge game Monday, and we do not need to tire out our starters and risk losing Monday just to get some kind of payback where they is nothing to pay back.

Let's have some class, guys.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 1 month ago

Would love to get Tyus Jones, but can't see it with Tharpe (Sr.), Adams (Jr.), Frankamp (So.) and Mason (So.) at PG already. Even if CF goes SG. But I trust Self.

kennethst 1 year, 1 month ago

To any of you following my posts a couple weeks ago about my 3 year old girl's stuffed Jayhawk being "sad" from the losses......You will be glad to know all is well. Now......she says "Jayhawk laugh, Daddy!" She knows KU is winning again....and apparently has told her stuffed Jayhawk the news.

manginodrh00lz 1 year, 1 month ago

2 players return for the 25 year recognition! Who was put in charge of organizing this event? This appears it was not very well prepared. What a mess.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Let's just hope we can rekindle the magic this year in time for the tournament

Deb Fitch 1 year, 1 month ago

I want to see Traylor, Rio and White get 20 minutes each today. They need the game time and the starters need the rest for Monday.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

Do we have any chance at landing Tyus Jones?

VaJay 1 year, 1 month ago

Interesting piece of trivia from the Kansas City paper:

The last 11 games that KU has made either 0 or 1 three pointer, we have WON each game, and 8 of those games were on the road. In fact, the last time we lost a game where we shot that badly from distance was Bucknell 8 years ago.

That shows how important our defense is to winning games. This team seems to have gotten its defensive swagger back, and that is key to us having the opportunity to win the conference again. I think we take care of business early tonight & put on a good show for the recruits.

GortHawker 1 year, 1 month ago

Sorry TCU, but I think you've come to Allen Field House at the wrong time, this is what we call "Pay Back Time " it usually happens rite b4 " Miller Time "

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 1 month ago

Today, the Jayhawks begin a new chapter in the 2012-2013 season. NO DOUBLE DIGIT TURNOVERS. I would love to see a 45pt. blowout, (in the first half). What I would enjoy more is a solid performance with fundamentally sound ball.

Take care of the ball, crisp passes, to each other. Shooters shooting, playmakers making plays. Crash, crush and own the boards. The ones with the baskets and on the floor. Smothering defense like too much gravy on fries. No taunting, just a good old fashion beat down that leaves no doubt that this team has arrived.

And maybe when they played the frogs the last time the entire team had the flu. Jayhawks more, Horned Frogs Less. ( my prediction for the game)

Steve Corder 1 year, 1 month ago

What's with the black & white photo?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

After today's festivities...I would hope we have two more recruits signed or at least with verbal commitments. Seeing 115 years of history and knowing how you could join that should help sway commitments.

tis4tim 1 year, 1 month ago

The previous loss means no mercy required today. Tyler, Evan and Nico all on the court at the under 8 time out.

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

This is a game we need to wrap up quickly. Remove all doubt and let TCU know what Kansas Basketball is all about. This is a true slump-buster game. I will feel like we are on our way back once we win this game. This one hurt more than any loss, because it should have never happened. I think KU is ready to ball now. Back to sun shiny days. The storm is over.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Whoa...first it's hard to close his hand...and squeeze the ball. Then it's not that bad - gonna take the tape off. I guess I'm a long way from being a 20 year old KU BB warrior! Go Traylor!

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 1 month ago

February 20th of this year also marked the 25th anniversary of the Beware of the Phog banner debut.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

This had better be a major league beat-down today. I mean, a butt-whippin for the ages.

Frog-aggedon if you will.

I mean it. I don't care about "winning ugly". I don't just want a " W ". I want this to be the game where TCU says " screw it, let's just quit this stupid game and stick to football ".

KU - 97 TCU - 33

mattiesdad 1 year, 1 month ago

Looks to me like that hug from Gueldner is for the other team captain, Archie Marshall.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Jam Tray, the sweet spot of your season cometh. Self will play you mostly during the Jay Bilas Periods--the periods when no foul calls prevail. Hence, your fouling won't be a factor. Enjoy your break through.

jaybate 1 year, 1 month ago

Madamhawk,

u r queen of predictions.

madamhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Nice. Wearing '88 throw backs. Will they be wearing the short shorts?

Self IS a badazz.

I hope Withey meant that they WILL score MORE than 2 points in the first 10 minutes.

Since I got "lucky" on calling the 1 point win against OSU, I'm gonna make another prediction: KU over TCU in a 33 point win.

Rock Chalk!