Saturday, February 23, 2013

Notebook: Former KU coach Ted Owens says reunion ‘one of those great moments’; Johnson recovering from illness

Kansas great Jo Jo White laughs with former Jayhawks coach Ted Owens during a halftime ceremony recognizing 115 years of basketball at KU, Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over TCU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 74-48 victory over TCU on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore and Perry Ellis

Kansas players Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore and Perry Ellis talk after the Jayhawks' 74-48 victory over TCU on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

TCU coach Trent Johnson

TCU coach Trent Johnson talks after his team's 74-48 loss to Kansas on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TCU

Former Kansas University basketball coach Ted Owens, who is 83 years old, on occasion shoots his age in golf.

“I shot a 74 about a month ago. I would have shot a 72, except I couldn’t get through the windmill blades,” Owens joked at KU’s 115 Years of Basketball reception held before Saturday’s KU-TCU game in Allen Fieldhouse.

Of course, he’s kidding.

Owens still remains a regular on regulation-sized golf courses, not miniature-golf layouts, in the spring and summer.

“I can’t put this into words. It’s one of those great moments you look forward to every five years getting us back together,” Owens, who lives in Tulsa, said of KU bringing back its former players, coaches and managers for a reunion.

“Unfortunately we’re losing a few. I have such fond memories. I feel so privileged to be part of Kansas basketball and the great people involved.”

About 200 players from various KU eras were on hand for KU’s 74-48 rout of the Horned Frogs and a post-game banquet.

It’s safe to say a good time was had by all.

“I tell Bud (Stallworth) all the time, ‘You scored a lot of points. I scored as many points as you did with half the shots,'" said Tony Guy, a State Farm Insurance agent in the Kansas City area who played for Owens.

“He says, 'Tony, come on man!'" Guy added, imitating Stallworth. “That’s what makes it fun, getting with these guys, reminiscing and realizing we are all part of something special.”

Douglas "Booty" Neal, another Owens player with a sweet shooting stroke, grinned when asked if any Jayhawk in history could put up 10 points quicker than Neal.

“I doubt it,” said Neal, who works as a special education teacher in the Washington, D.C. area. “And with the three-point line now? I roll over every night and say, 'Take me back; take me back.'

“I love Bud Stallworth to death, but if we could turn back the clock, it’d be an awesome shootout. You have other great shooters like Billy Thomas, (Terry) Brown, Ron Kellogg. If I’ve overlooked somebody, I don’t mean to. I would hope I was in the top three,” added Neal, who still plays in 50-and-over leagues.

Moulaye Niang, who played for Bill Self and Roy Williams, sells mutual funds in Austin, Texas.

“I think we’ve got the tools to win — a great freshman, great inside presence,” Niang said of the current Jayhawks. He spoke as he stood next to Jeff Hawkins and Christian Moody of the Self era. “We definitely have a chance to go far. And we have coach Self.”

During the game, the Jayhawks wore 1988 throwback jerseys in honor of the ‘88 national champs.

Stomach aches: KU senior Elijah Johnson scored seven points off 2-of-5 shooting with four assists and two steals in 29 minutes.

“He was aggressive,” Self said. “He’s had some stomach issues we thought potentially might be serious the last three to four days. We know what’s wrong. He’s going to be fine. He was struggling out there a little bit today.”

Asked to expand on the stomach issue, Self said: “Cramping and stuff. He’s fine now. They got him some medicine. It might have been the side effects of flu. He’s OK.”

Student section not full: There appeared to be 500 empty seats in the northwest corner of the fieldhouse.

“I thought the crowd was good, the people that were here. We just didn’t have as many people here,” Self said. “I don’t know if it’s a reflection of all the snow days, people leaving (town) early. We had some cancellations for the (115 Year of Basketball) reunion due to weather. Maybe that was it. I thought the crowd did a great job of recognizing those guys that gave their heart and soul to this place.”

Dunk you very much: Ben McLemore had a vicious one-handed slam off a drive down the baseline to conclude the first half.

“After the game, coach (Kurtis) Townsend told me that was one of the best dunks I had this year,” McLemore said. “I think the windmill was better, the one at the beginning of the year. I’ve had some good dunks. I thank my teammates for helping me out.”

Recruits: Justise Winslow, a 6-5 junior from St. John’s High in Houston, commented on Twitter about attending the game. “McLemore dunk had us all out our seat... Crazy! I had to hold the crowd back.” Tyus Jones, a 6-1 junior from Apple Valley (Minn.) High also attended. Jones is ranked No. 3 and Winslow No. 6 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.com.

Lotta wins: Bill Self will be going for his 500th victory against Iowa State on Monday in Ames. This prompted a Tweet from CBSsports.com’s Jeff Goodman: “Bill Self is 50 years old and has a chance to win his 500th game on Monday. If he goes til 65 and averages 33 wins, he’d have 995 total.”

Stats, facts: KU scored its 13th point just 5:37 into the game. On Feb. 6 in Fort Worth, KU finished the first half with 13 points. ... KU led, 18-4, at the 11:36 mark. ... TCU was held scoreless the final 8:37 of the first half. KU rolled, 18-0 in that span. ... TCU’s first-half scoring output is the lowest for a Big 12 game in 15 years. ... TCU’s four first-half field goals were the fewest by any KU opponent since Florida Gulf Coast made three in the first half on Nov. 18, 2008. ... TCU’s 17.4-percent shooting in the first half is the third lowest by a KU opponent in Big 12 play. It’s the lowest since Oklahoma shot 16.1 percent in the first half on Feb. 20, 1999. ... KU did not shoot any free throws in the first half. The Jayhawks went on to make their next 17 free throw attempts in the second half. KU hit 18 of 19 overall.

Comments

s6u6r6f 1 year, 10 months ago

What I liked: Nine points at half. Starters held scoreless. Near perfect free throw shooting. A live radio stream (tunedin.com). What I didn't like: It was a TCU stream. The commercials kept scolding me. Rock chalk.

Boouk 1 year, 10 months ago

Do we have any chance at landing Tyus Jones? Getting him or Emmanuel Mundiay at the PG position in the class of 2014 would be huge.

lothario64118 1 year, 10 months ago

It all depends if Self wishes to start those players as freshman. Time to slightly change your offense like you said you would after 2011 loss to VCU. I still haven;t seen the change.

Tyus would be nice. Let the players learn mistakes through playing....not bench time.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

It also depends on if we have a scholarship available .. I'm sure Self would "make" room. But as of now, we have no seniors in the 2013-14 class that will be on a scholarship, assuming Wesley doesn't have one of the 13 next season.

Corey Shideler 1 year, 10 months ago

JustiSe Winslow... We are recruiting this kid. It would be nice if the local sports news could spell his name right.

doolindalton 1 year, 10 months ago

Ted was a very good coach who did not have an exceptional staff and ran into some horrible recruiting luck/missteps. Like most coaches, when he had the talent, he did very well. Ted lost out on some great players like Wes Unseld (whose brother, George, played at KU) and Alvin Adams who stayed home to play for a then horrible OU program and later starred for the Phoenix Suns. He also passed on Lon Kruger from Silver Lake who seemed to o.k. at K-State. When Ted missed, he didn't always seem to have a good plan B. One of the great things about Bill Self as a recruiter is that he always seems to have a plan A,B,C and D and is able to project a number of different types of players into his program. I am not sure Ted employed that strategy.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

Adams was a huge loss. Don'f forget about Ted coming so close to signing Derrick Hord (KY 79-83) and others that led to the horrible final 2 years.

nostradavid 1 year, 10 months ago

It's good to see that Ted is still having fun. He had so many great teams and players in his day. Larry Brown found the cupboard well stocked when he came to Lawrence.

Happy days are here again!

Happy days are here again! by nostradavid

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

The last couple of years Calipari came in and did a great job recruiting for Ted. However, the recruting classes for the couple of years befor Cal were major disasters, loosing Derrick Hord (KY) and others led to his nightmarish last two years.

doolindalton 1 year, 10 months ago

The throwback unis looked incredible. I would suggest strongly that they wear them all the time.

John Mueller 1 year, 10 months ago

I love Ted Owens. He was the coach of my childhood and I had the pleasure to talk to him and his daughter at the Orange Bowl. He is a kind and funny man and loves KU and I am glad he feels comfortable being part of these celebrations.

He really did have some great players and a pretty nice run in the early 70's. Unfortunately for him, he coached at the same time as this guy named Wooden with regards to winning championships.

Now, cupboard full for Larry might be a stretch....

With all due respect to anybody who wore the uniform, not sure even Jeff Guiot sp? And Kerry Boagni would attempt the full cupboard argument...

But, Ted is part of the great history of KU basketball and so are some of my favorite childhood players Magley and Valentine and Von Moore, The Knights, Big Mo and yes, even Victor Mitchell.

It was a time when you listened to the weeknight games on the radio, in your room, when you were supposed to be in bed. The voices of Tom Hedrick and Max. Sweet memories.

Robert Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

Calvin Thompson, Ron Kellogg ang Greg Dreiling were all on the roster when Larry Brown arrived. That sounds like a pretty full cupboard.

kranny 1 year, 10 months ago

Sort of. Dreiling hadnt played a minute for owens because of transferring from wsu. Owens went 13-16 with the players mentioned. Bringing cedric hunter and manning and turgeon was the main reason for the turnaround.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

Don't forget Ken Koenigs (#24) and Tom Kivisto (Koch and later founder of the SemGroup). i firmly believe Kansas would have won a N. Championship (or 2) had Big Mo did not have that hamstring injury. Mo was off the charts before that injury.

Stan Crown 1 year, 10 months ago

Posted this on the "Reunion List" thread where I doubt anybody is still looking, so sorry to repeat myself, but did anybody else catch CBS program listing the top ten teams to never win the NCAA Tournament? It aired yesterday in the hour before the South Carolina/Georgia game. My thought: Jeers to CBS for including the 1966 Kentucky team in the list. Since both KU and Cincinnati took Texas Western to overtime in the Midwest Regional, I'd say there were at least two teams better than UK that year. And no, CBS wasn't only including Final Four teams, because the 1974 Maryland team made the list.

Jerry Rockhold 1 year, 10 months ago

Speaking of Ted Owens, back in the day when I was going to KU, I dated his older daughter, Nancy. One day she asked me if I would like to meet her dad & go on a double-date with him & his fiance, Michelle. Of course I said yes and we went to the Douglas Co. rodeo & then to Mass. St. afterwards to the then "Chute" bar. We shot pool & drank beer.& had a great time.

I ran into Ted at a KU game a couple of years ago & reminded him of the experience, He remembered me & told me Nancy was married & living in Florida. Btw, he & Michelle got married & have been together all these years. Ted Owens is a great guy & I will always have fond memories of the time I got to spend with him & his family. :)

MrPilot 1 year, 10 months ago

Was the game still considered a sellout even though there were some empty seats? Is our streak still going?

MN_Jayhawk39 1 year, 10 months ago

KU and HCBS would be wise to put the full-court press on Tyus Jones. Living in Minnesota I've had a couple opportunities to see him play and he is the real deal. I've also been able to talk to people that know him best. The kid is all class, a great teammate, a great student (near 4.0) and has a very high basketball IQ. He would fit well in to Self's program as he knows how to create for his teammates in ways very few can do, he can shoot the rock, and takes pride in his defense. On top of that he never seems to allow the environment overwhelm him. He has been on the national scene since he was in 8th grade and has gotten used to the hoopla has been following around. Whoever lands this kid is getting a high quality person and a legit ball player.

Izzo has been recruiting him hard for a while now. Slick Cal was here in December (don't think he would go to Kentucky as he appears to not need his ego stroked). His cousin is on the basketball staff (video coordinator) for Baylor. Ol' Roy has been here too! He's worth the effort and would represent KU well.

Kye Clark 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for the info. Hopefully this visit helps stoke his interest.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

McLemore might like his other dunks better but this one sure was pretty.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 10 months ago

Empty seats? C'mon students, that is completey unacceptable. Snow is not even close to being a good excuse. We've got recruits there so suck it up and get your lazy butts to the game.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 10 months ago

My son, a current KU student, got to the game late with their student tickets. He and his friends were turned away saying the student section was full.

John Mueller 1 year, 10 months ago

HouTx

Good point about Calvin and Ronnie.

Read above Booty Neal dreaming about that 3 pt line.

Both Ron and Calvin would have added to their career pts with that line, but particularly Ronnie who had great range.

I don't think od Dreiling as a Ted recruit, but I assume you are correct.

Spent time with Greg at the game in New Orleans last year. He was great. A really friendly and proud Jayhawk.

Somebody above mentioned Koenigs and I meant to. He was terrific and went on to become a physician I believe?

One other thing about the Ted era that we forget: there were no "at large" bids in the tourney back then. Who knows, maybe one of his teams that didn't win the conference would have made a run??