Kansas defeats TCU, 74-48

• 3 p.m., Feb. 23, 2013
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Keeping up the tradition: Jayhawks impress alums, rout TCU, 74-48

Kansas center Jeff Withey, right, bumps teammates Travis Releford (24) and Kevin Young after a bucket against Texas Christian during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over TCU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 74-48 victory over TCU on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore and Perry Ellis

Kansas players Jeff Withey, Ben McLemore and Perry Ellis talk after the Jayhawks' 74-48 victory over TCU on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

TCU coach Trent Johnson

TCU coach Trent Johnson talks after his team's 74-48 loss to Kansas on Feb. 23, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TCU

Talk about extra motivation to perform well against TCU, a team that had defeated the Jayhawks on Feb. 6 in Fort Worth, Texas. ...

“I don’t know too many schools that have all the (former) players come back and have a banquet. We wanted to show up and keep the tradition going and keep on winning,” KU senior center Jeff Withey said after scoring 18 points in the Jayhawks’ 74-48 rout of the Horned Frogs.

“We knew we had to beat them by a lot to prove ourselves to the old guys,” Withey added.

The (23-4, 11-3 Big 12) Jayhawks made sure a good time was had by former Jayhawks of all ages and time periods — players from the ‘52, ‘88 and 2008 title teams attended — during KU’s 115 Years of Basketball celebration weekend.

“I think so,” KU coach Bill Self said, asked if the current players wanted to perform well for the honorees. “We talked about that. I think they more wanted to play better for themselves. We played so poorly the first time.”

KU scored 13 points during the first half of the 62-55 loss to TCU in Fort Worth.

On Saturday, it was (10-17, 1-13) TCU failing to score even 10 points the initial half as KU rolled, 38-9. The Horned Frogs. who were outscored by Ben McLemore, 10-9, hit four of 23 shots, 0-for-7 from three. Not one TCU starter scored the first half.

Meanwhile, KU hit 17 of 32 first-half shots, including four of eight from three.

“I was proud they got to see at least one good half of play,” Self said of KU’s guests. The nine points were fewest in a half by a KU foe since Cornell’s nine in the second half on Jan. 2, 1996. It’s the fewest amount of points allowed by KU in a half in a Big 12 game and fewest field goals in a half in a Big 12 contest.

However, Self was not elated with the final half, in which TCU outscored KU, 39-36.

“We just kind of got through it,” Self said. “That wasn’t very good playing at all the second half. The thing I’m disappointed most is if our starters would’ve taken care of business, then everyone else would have had a chance to play ample minutes. We messed around and didn’t get it done. It was a good win, though.”

McLemore finished with 14 points, Travis Releford 12 and Kevin Young six with eight rebounds. A big boost came from freshman Perry Ellis, who scored 12 points — his most in a Big 12 game — off 5-of-8 shooting with four boards in 15 minutes.

“Every game, I feel like I’m getting more comfortable,” Ellis said. “It all starts in practice. I try to practice hard every day. Jeff and Kevin really help me out. They keep pushing me to step up to the next level. I listen to the upperclassmen and take everything in.”

Ellis scored in double figures for the first time since totaling 11 versus American on Dec. 29.

“Perry hasn’t seen the ball go in the hole a while. It’s great he saw it go in,” Self said. “We need scoring off the bench. Perry had 12 and Jamari (Traylor) two and that’s basically it. We made six field goals off the bench and Perry had five of them. That’s not good enough. We need scoring off the bench. Hopefully it’ll give him some confidence.”

Next up for KU is Monday’s 8 p.m. contest against (19-8, 9-5) Iowa State in Ames, Iowa. The Cyclones are 15-0 at home this season. The game is meaningful as far as the conference race; KU and K-State remain tied at 11-3.

Also, it is an opportunity for KU coach Self to snare his 500th career coaching victory in this, his 20th season. He’s 499-162, including a 292-57 mark at KU.

“We want that for him,” Withey said. “He’s done so much for us. It means a lot to us to be able to get that for him.”

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 5 months ago

If Ellis keeps making strides and we get consistent play from both our PG's I think we could make a run at a 30-4 record and a 1 seed on Selection Sunday.

JJHAWK 1 year, 5 months ago

Championship Monday is upon us. We have to boldly go where no one else has 'gone and won' this season. Consistent play from our point guards and help from Ellis just might make the difference. Like the way you think Boouk. Would prefer a one seed but there are so many quality teams this year that from the sweet sixteen in is going to be a real test. One mediocre game and I think we are gone.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't think there are that many quality teams. I think there are a lot of good teams that are about the same quality. Timmy's parity--maybe it really has arrived.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

Either way, quality or good, we cannot have a game as we did at TCU. Last night clearly showed how much better we are than TCU. In fact, it shows just how bad we played in our first meeting. We cannot take another night off if we plan on going past the Sweet 16.

If we can keep on playing like we did last night, we will definitely be in the running.

mojayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Perry gets good looks, good shots, and has been missing by inches, but now they're starting to fall. Number 1 is doubtful even if we run the table. The TCU loss is too much of a "bad loss". If it had been in November or early December it wouldn't have mattered as much.

Question: I'm watching mizzou and uk. How do you root for both teams to lose? It's new territory for me.

brooksmd 1 year, 5 months ago

That's the same thing I asked my son today. What a dilemma. I'm so confused.

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Why watch? Scratch your eyes out.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree... There is no correct answer.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

I root for Mizzou cuz I keep an eye on the total win tally.

VaJay 1 year, 5 months ago

I toughed it out, fought off my primal urges, & rooted for Misery. The reasoning: A loss last night would've made it extremely difficult for KY jelly to make it to NCAAs, and wouldn't that be sweet?!

AZHawk72 1 year, 5 months ago

Wow, a first half to remember--glad we didn't "throwback" to Fort Worth 2013. Think it's appropriate that Coach Self will be going for #599 at the only unbeaten team at home this year. If we stay in the faces of the guards and their threes and don't lose sight of the big guy underneath, we should be fine.

Although it is not lost on me that our three game losing streak started immediately after Holberg's comment that Self was the best coach in the country. We should go public with the thought that Holberg was the best mayor in the history of the state of Iowa.

"Is this heaven?" No, it's Iowa--though it may feel like purgatory.

AZHawk72 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry, I meant "500," not "599." Is there a sale on younger eyes anywhere this weekend?

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

ill trade you an eye for a rotator cuff *wink

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

If Bill is down on the starters for f---ing around in the second half and not building enough of a lead for the scrubs to get in the game, maybe he should consider starting the 2nd team in the second half. Seems like it always happens with KU--they run away with the first half, then f--- around for the second half. So bench the starting five for the first four or eight minutes of the 2nd half and see if that lights a fire under their asses.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

"this is a very weak bench and that could be the Achilles heel come tourney time."

Wasn't this supposed to be the case last year?

Not disagreeing, although I think the onus for not having production off the bench lies greatly on Self's shoulders for his unwillingness to let the green wood play through mistakes, but last year he made it work with Teahan & Wesley off the bench.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

I think it could go either way. There is a lot of talent on our bench that hasn't developed as quickly as most of us expected but I remember what Cole Aldrich did to Tyler Hansbrough in 2008. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Andrew White or some other player have a breakout game.

As far as last night's second half performance, I thought that HCBS clearly took his foot off the accelerator. I saw him using different lineups and combinations while getting the bench several minutes of playing time. And as stated above, the game was over at halftime and HCBS doesn't coach like Billy Tubbs did. No need to embarrass a conference foe or any team for that matter.

brooksmd 1 year, 5 months ago

I hate the word "scrubs" when referring to our players. Without the heart those guys have for Kansas the Hawks wouldn't be sitting in first right now. They are just as important as the starting five.

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

Im feeling like StupidMichael for the Iowa St game... Scared

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Glad to see Rio get into the game, if only for a minute. I thought Bill might sit him for discipline, but I think getting him into the game shows that Bill wants him.

Benjamin Jones 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you kidding? Tyler Self played more than Rio did. Bill was definitely sending him a message.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm sure Bill already gave him a message verbally. Like I said, I thought Bill might sit him out for discipline. Getting him in, if only for a minute, as opposed to not getting in at all, and before garbage time, sends the message that, "Hey, we do want you here." Just my opinion.

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

Everybody played, and we still beat a 25 point spread.

Only one more thing needed for a great celebration:

Cuchi-Chuchi !

Cuchi-Chuchi ! by nostradavid

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

If Bill is lamenting for more scoring from the bench, then he's singling out Naadir. Hard for the bench to score consistently game-in, game-out when you have a 6 man rotation coach. Perry & Jamari have routinely been getting less than 10 mpg, and AW3 & Rio go games without getting into the game. When they do, it's usually garbage time with the walk-ons. I was just glad that after Perry missed his first shot he wasn't banished to the bench.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 5 months ago

Is this the beginning of a revolt taking place? :)

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 5 months ago

Are you still concerned about Rio? Year after year, Coach Self plays with eight guys and hands out garbage minutes to the rest. Rio and AW3 didn't make their case strong enough before Christmas... now it's too late.

Rio needs to keep these freshman stats taped to his locker: 7.2 minutes and 2.5 points. Thomas Robinson turned that into the NBA's 5th pick two years later!

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

Well I'd say it's typically 7 guys: 3 starting perimeter players and a sub, and 2 starting post players & 1 sub. The 4th big is not a rotation guy. TRob wasn't his freshman year, neither was Withey or Cole. The 4th big (and 5th perimeter player) usually only gets minutes in garbage time, or when foul trouble/injuries arise. And I'm fine with that.

My point is, how much production does he honestly expect to get out of his bench given a 7 man rotation? Especially when his starters are typically playing 30+ mpg. Traylor & Ellis both got double digit minutes yesterday due to the large lead, but typically one of them is getting 5 or less in conference play (hence why I don't include both of them as rotation players, I just lump them together as the 3rd big and one of them fills the spot each game). Naadir is the only perimeter sub.

I'm not even saying I strongly disagree with it the past couple of years given the fact that the starters are leaps and bounds better than anyone on the bench. Just that Self shouldn't expect much given the situation he's created.

As for Rio and AW3, no I don't expect them to be eating into the starters' minutes significantly. But I would suggest that one of them be given a 3-4 minute stretch each half with the regulars, not just on the court with the walk-ons during the last minute or two of blowouts. Let them get into the flow of the game, with other players who know what they're doing out there. We see this with both Perry & Jamari. If they're out there together it's disastrous. But if it's just one of them out there with either Withey or KY, they are fine. Of course the offense isn't going to run smooth with the coaches' sons & Justin Wesley out there. You put Adams out there with them and he's forced to just try and create offense on his own, which we saw yesterday in his one shot attempt.

Anyway, it's not going to change, just found that quote curious given how Self uses his bench.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Good idea. You're wrong about Cole, though. He was part of the regular rotation for most of his freshman conference season. Paid off big time in the tournament.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

Well Cole averaged on the season 8.3 mpg his Freshman year. That's less than Jamari is playing this season, who I wouldn't consider a true regular part of the rotation.

He did have some games where Self played him more than he plays his end of the bench players this season, which I'm sure boosted his confidence thus allowing him to perform in the tournament. But there were also stretches of games where he didn't play at all, or garbage minutes.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

As I recall, he normally came in at the 12 min. mark each half and played about 4 min. with the normal rotation guys. That type of rotation and experience for Cole (and it's tournament payoff) has been my argument for Bill utilizing the same method for EJ & Jeff then and Rio & AW now. Especially in games we have control of. Hopefully, its not too late, cuz we could very well get into a situation where we need a boost off the bench in the tournament, just like we did in '10 and '11.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

You may be right about Cole. I don't have that vivid of a recollection of him being on the floor that much, but it's possible.

Regardless, we are in agreement that it would definitely be beneficial to have the end of the bench guys seeing regular minutes with the normal rotation guys.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

jjjjhok: So you don't think that AW3 has made his case? What is obvious for anyone who gets their "Self is always right" blinders off (I'm not saying that's you) is that AW3 could easily be a productive member of the rotation. It's just that Self won't do it. That's all. He had some excellent stretches during a 5 game period vs. Oregon St., Colorado, Belmont, Richmond, and American. Some freshman moments. But one game, he dropped 15, another he had 6 boards in 13 minutes. Self made some positive comments about him. Then he sits. He then averaged 2.0 minutes per game over then next 13 games. Against OSU, he made the most of his one minute of PT, scoring 6 points in really less than a minute, and nearly pulling out the game. Self said after the game that he should be playing White more.

Look, we know coach Self. He gets way, way conservative. He thinks that his predetermined "best" players are the only ones that can win games, even if they are not performing well. He will not take the risk of mistakes outside of those players, except for in case of injury or foul problems (or if he gets ticked off at someone). We've been this route before many times.

White has proven that he deserves to be in the rotation. Self is simply too conservative to give him minutes. Self put him in vs. Belmont at the 4 and they couldn't guard him in high post. Then it never happens again. He scores 15 points kicking out, hitting the three, setting the screens that KY usually does ... and is a huge three point threat. Then nothing.

Then Self will be upset when he is called upon in a crucial game due to injury or fouls, and AW3 doesn't perform to his proper level of play.

Here's an LJW article after the Belmont game:

Self liked the look of White as an undersized 4-man.

“I’ve been saying we were going to do that, but we haven’t done it, play him at the 4 and have him be a pick-and-pop 4,” Self said. “That’s what happened tonight. He made a couple of threes by doing that, and then he was aggressive after that. He can really shoot the ball. Nobody in our gym has a better attitude than Andrew, and I haven’t given him much of a chance to play. I thought he was really good tonight.”

Self added: “There’s no way Belmont would know he can shoot because statistically he hasn’t yet (4-for-10 from three entering the game, 37.5 percent shooter overall). Hopefully he can be a guy we go to in each half and add to what we are doing. If you do play him, it doesn’t allow them to clog the middle like they did around Jeff so much because it stretches it out. With Perry (Ellis) or Jamari (Traylor) or Kevin (Young) in there, they didn’t leave the lane. That could be another weapon for us hopefully moving forward.”

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

I agree that White should have earned some minutes based on his early-season play, and I would also suggest there is something going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to...

...that being said, White got 7 minutes against a sub-par opponent in TCU and managed not to compile a single non-scoring stat except for a turnover. Obviously, there may be a couple factors beyond effort/skill at play: 1) coming into a game for the first time when it's already a laugher could be hard, especially as a freshman. If our seniors can't stay at 100% intensity after the game is essentially over, then it's a tall order for a freshman. 2) The other thing could be whatever strange scenario behind the scenes that resulted in White looking like a promising player, followed by the bench zone.

If I had to speculate, my only guess would be that after White's mini-breakout, he showed some attitude in practice that Self didn't like and felt that he needed to give the young White an ego check. But heck, anyone else's guess is as good as mine, because I agree that White looked like he was going to grow into a valuable member of the team earlier in the season.

Hank Cross 1 year, 5 months ago

Why is this a subject anymore? Everyone knows how this works. Self picks his seven/eight players before the season starts and goes with them once conference play starts no matter what.

ParisHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

It's a subject because there's something to discuss. Should we only mention things that are obvious to everybody?

HEM's quotes show that Coach Self was thinking about giving AW3 real minutes, and he hasn't done it.

I think it's because you can practice almost anything at practice, but there's one thing you can only practice during games, and that's winning. During games, Coach Self practices winning. Resting starters and granting development minutes are only options when the game is completely out of reach.

oldalum 1 year, 5 months ago

It's pretty hard for us to make these judgments when we don't see how he does at practice. Maybe he turns it over and misses shots every time he gets his hands on the ball at every practice, so coach doesn't trust him to perform in a game. His goal is always to win. He teaches at practice, not in games. The only time I can remember him leaving a bench player in after a screw-up is when he doesn't have any choice because of fouls or injuries. Or when they're doing something else well that kind of cancels out their mistakes.

Kye Clark 1 year, 5 months ago

Well I brought it up because Self was quoted after the game saying he needs more production from the bench. I don't disagree with your assessment that "everyone knows how this works", but that quote from Self raised the subject for me.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

It is still relevant for one thing. I agree with your post. Self will rarely go past 7 or 8 players but as we near tournament time, Ellis and Tharpe are the only bench players getting consistent playing time.

That might be similar to most of HCBS's past teams but the biggest difference is next year's will rely more on sophomores and freshmen players than teams in the past.

I think it was a mistake not giving AW3 significantly more minutes. Guess we will find out in the tournament and next year.

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, I'm glad to see some of the more knowledgeable posters here on board with the concept of "real game experience" for young green players. I've been harping on this point (probably ad nauseum to anyone who's read) since Jeff & EJ's freshman year. Have to admit, it's a bit gratifying to see the tide turning a bit from "Shut Up! Coach knows what he's doing! Think you could do better?!" more towards "Hmm, shouldn't we be getting some of these young guys a little real game PT in case we need them come Tournament time?"

KansasComet 1 year, 5 months ago

Going to take a big effort inside and outside to beat Iowa State on the road. I think we are up for the task! Team chemistry is starting to come together. Undefeated when Travis Releford gets double figures! Let's keep it going Monday!

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I think in a lot of ways we are playing for the Big XII title tomorrow. Not mathematically but that's how I would be selling it to the players. I actually feel encouraged about our chances monday. KU by 5.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 5 months ago

Defense will keep our games close in the NCAA tourney but who is going to make the big shots? We need to be able to make a few big threes, we had at least that last year in all of those games we barely won in the tourney.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 5 months ago

Thinking about the Big12 race.... wouldn't Bruce Weber love to top Bill Self his first season in the conference. We can't let that happen, for HCBS's sake.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Not a sadder coach in the nation than Weber the night Self beat OSU in double overtime. Beat ISU Monday = Self sends a message loud and clear to Weber.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

"Some Conversation Ice Breakers with Amesians Before the Game"

~Tell locals they're lucky that Oakes Ames was a self-promoter, or their town probably would have been called South Skunk River City.

~Tell Amesians to be grateful their town wasn't named Urbandale, perhaps the most boring name for a town other than Boring, Oregon.

~Tell locals that you sure like the way they master mastering the obvious naming the town serving the campus Campustown.

~Ask Amesians if they like having the Ames Strain of anthrax bacterium (i.e., the strain mailed to US Senators and newspersons shortly after 9/11 was not contrived by some foreign intelligence organization) mistakenly named after their town.

~Tell Amesians you really like Iowa, but then ask, "Why the hell don't you just hold an honest primary and skip that rinky dink caucus anyway?"

~Ask Amesians if they notice that Iowa is so flat around Ames it makes Lawrence, Kansas seem like Potosi, Bolivia.

~Ask where Larry Eustachy liked to party?

~Say: Wow, did you ever expect Conde MCullough to build so damed many green bridges out west?

~Say, could you put in a good word with Parviz Davoodi not to encourage the Iranians to do anything stupid?

~Hey, at least you don't have to make excuses for Time commentator Hugh Sidney anymore.

~Ask if anyone remembers ISU grad Albert Turner Bharucha-Reid and knows if a Markov chain had anything to do with KU's recent three game losing streak?

~Ask if anyone still knows ISU Ph.d grad John Gustafson down at Sandia National Labs and can ask him if Gustafson's Law could be used to persuade KenPom to lash up 30-40 desk tops to do some real number crunching for hoops?

~Tell Amesians no matter how much fun jaybate pokes at them, it was their distinguished Iowa State Agricultural and Mechanics University (later ISU) that saw to it that George Washington Carver was allowed to matriculate college and then teach at ISU in the 1890s, when Highland College in Kansas had turned him down for his race. Rock Chalk, Ames and ISU!!!!

(Note: All in jest. No malice.)

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

"Jeff Withey and his Kansas University basketball teammates watched Jayhawk legends Jo Jo White, Walt Wesley, Dave Robisch, Bill Hougland, Bill Lienhard, Wayne Simien, Ted Owens and approximately 190 others settle into their seats behind the Jayhawk bench during warmups on Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse."

The only way for me to watch the game was using the ESPN Watch app. I was wondering if there was any video from the pregame warm-up or halftime activities?

wildjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

This isn't a good year. Kansas ST. looks to have the conference title this year.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

You think they're more likely to win at Stillwater than we are to win at Ames? Blasphemy!