Thursday, February 21, 2013

OSU: ‘We can’t sulk’

Cowboys must ‘move on,’ prepare for WVU

Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown goes up for a shot with seconds remaining in double overtime on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma. The shot missed and the rebound went to the Jayhawks.

Box score

KU-OSU

— Spare Oklahoma State basketball coach Travis Ford any talk about this being a down year in the Big 12. This might not be the time to share the opinion the Big 12 schedule is easier this year than most.

Kansas University defeated Ford’s Cowboys, 68-67 in double overtime, Wednesday, four days after OSU defeated Oklahoma in overtime in the same building. Next up for Oklahoma State: The longest trip in the conference, a Saturday game in Morgantown, W.Va.

“It’s too bad somebody had to lose, and it was us,” Ford said. “And we’ve got to move on. We can’t sulk about it. We can’t pout about it. We’ve got to move on. The last couple of games, we played a lot of minutes. We need to get them off their feet and rest their minds before a long trip.”

Marcus Smart had a chance to win it in regulation but couldn’t get a good look at the basket. Markel Brown missed a shot in the second overtime that could have won it. The two players were the keys to Oklahoma State defeating Kansas in Lawrence.

“It was a down locker room,” Ford said. “They were disappointed, but, hey, I’m proud of how hard our guys played in a hard-fought game. You just watched two teams that wanted to win pretty bad. Give them credit. They made a tough shot there at the end. (Naadir Tharpe) made a tough shot, tough shot, tough shot.”

Said Brown: “It’s really tough, but we can’t dwell on it. We’ve got to move on. It’s the Big 12. It was a long game, so we have to get our rest for Saturday.”

As Brown noted, it’s the Big 12, which means there are no easy paths to the conference championship.

Comments

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 9 months ago

"“It’s too bad somebody had to lose, and it was us,” Ford said. "

I feel that way when it's a great game and both teams are playing to the best of their abilities. This was ugly basketball throughout.

Tom Longhofer 1 year, 9 months ago

So Ford should have said, "It's too bad somebody had to win" There's probably some truth in that.

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

I didnt watch the game, Im at work. But I saw the last 2 min of the last OT. Those two minutes I saw more fouls given that were both called and not called than atleast the past couple games. I cant wait to watch the whole thing from the start. Great, great, tough & bruising win for our Jayhawks! Way to go guys!

Marc Frey 1 year, 9 months ago

The refs decided to have some TV time

hotrodm 1 year, 9 months ago

Sometimes Luck is on KU's side. A win is a win. Go Jayhawks!

Gymratz4KU 1 year, 9 months ago

Ford may not want to sulk, but he can "Boo" a call. I have been watching basketball for MANY years and have never seen a coach Boo a call - Travis Ford did last night. Classless!!!

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

I saw that! He was literally saying "boo!... boo!". What a total idiot. I have never heard a coach say that EVER. You would think he would have something maybe more meaningful to say than "boo".

Gymratz4KU 1 year, 9 months ago

A Google seach shows that Ford booed a call when they were playing ISU. Classlessness at its finest.

martyks 1 year, 9 months ago

I saw him do that. My wife said, "That's mature!" I told her it couldn't be true. Maybe someone on the team has the nickname "Boo!" If he really did boo, literally shouting a long "Booooooooooo" then I am able to say I've seen everything. It was a moment of Zen.

Brad Farha 1 year, 9 months ago

What call did he boo? I'm going to re-watch the game at some point, and want to keep an eye out for it.

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it was in an overtime. I can't remember which one, though.

dbakerku 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe it was when Cobbins fouled out

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Although "booing" or such is classless, I would say the refs would probably prefer that over some of the words that Coaches use.

Kevin Crook 1 year, 9 months ago

Every time OSU plays KU Ford has to look over at the coach everyone in Stillwater really wanted to be OSU's coach. Can't be a very good feeling.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

kevsum - one small correction. " Ford has to look over, and UP, at the coach everyone i Stillwater really wanted to be OSU's coach. "

martyks 1 year, 9 months ago

He would need binoculars for that chore.

jackoman 1 year, 9 months ago

UGLY is an understatement. KU looked scared to death out there. Ben even more than the rest. Ben looked dumbfounded last night. Don't know what happened to him. He and Releford needs to throw the gum away, can't do two things at once. (Whoa)

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

Uhhh... who won the game? Can you imagine the impact of a screaming crowd for 2 1/2 hours? The players matched OSU punch for punch in spite of the home court advantage. We were never down by more than a few points at the most during the whole game. When EJ fouled out (after one of his best efforts of the season) we didn't falter. In OT, we never let the game get away from us and made huge plays at the end to seal the deal.

Give Ben a break - he's a kid, a freshman, a young gun who probably learned a lot from this game & that will certainly help him down the road in Ames next week.

And back off T-Rel. Good grief! I had to watch the last 10 seconds of the game many times over just to relish his hustle & defense that won us the game. (and all that after playing 45+ minutes)

BainDread 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not a psychologist, but I didn't see fear. I saw a calm, controlled, been-here done-this look on the Jayhawk faces. Their actions also showed this. They continued to run their offense and get the ball inside where Withey was drawing fouls and getting points.

ffletch 1 year, 9 months ago

...and Kevin Young; That kid is a super-ball.

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

He kept us in the game early on when nothing else was working with his high energy stick-backs.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

Kevin Young is easily the best surprise of the season. If asked at this point last year, I would have been willing to wager a considerable amount of money that Ellis would be starting at this point in the season. Young definitely leaves everything on the court. How good would he be if we had recruited him right out of high school?

Obviously hindsight but I'm glad we got him for two years. I hope he continues to play basketball after graduation. I don't see him getting drafted but I could see him playing ball over in Europe and then possibly making a shot at the NBA. The odds are against him but it wouldn't be the first time he beat the odds.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 9 months ago

"Marcus Smart had a chance to win it in regulation but couldn’t get a good look at the basket. Markel Brown missed a shot in the second overtime that could have won it."

And Travis Releford could have won it with .03 seconds left in regulation but he was fouled (no call) during his shot that would have been an easy layup. Both sides had opportunities. Those who make them, win. Those who don't, lose.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought that the referees were at least consistent. They missed a few calls, made a couple of mistakes but overall, they allowed the players decide the outcome.

What bothered me was watching them continually stop the game to check how many seconds were left in the game. Once or twice is one thing but last night, I thought it hurt the game.

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

Clock management is important.

And when the home team is running low on timeouts in a close game what better way to give them 3 or 4 extras.

I have never seen a game stop that many times to check and recheck the clocks. What a joke.

martyks 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't blame the refs. Suddenly, when OSU needed more time, the clocks just didn't seem to work. Huh... go figure.

Theodore Thadogweadore 1 year, 9 months ago

Every time I look at Travis Ford, I see him for what he is, a dirty Missouri Tiger.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually he played one year at Mizzery - then went to Kenstinky.

Or, from the frying pan into the fire...

hotrodm 1 year, 9 months ago

Travis Ford is a classy coach and good recruiter. Always compliments the other team and it's coaches. Who cares if he boo's the refs on occasion.

martyks 1 year, 9 months ago

It wasn't that it was evil. It was like a four year old "boo". I don't care. He can boo, but really? That's how he criticizes the ref? Not something like "He blocked it. He had all ball. He was set." No... instead, it's "boo!" ??? Seriously? How about a little descriptive criticism? lol Boo! ??? lol