Thursday, February 21, 2013

Notebook: Bill Self fired up during big win; Rio Adams ‘frustrated’

Kansas head coach Bill Self looks for a foul that wasn't called against Oklahoma State on a last second drive by KU guard Travis Releford which sent the game into double overtime on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Box score

KU-OSU

— Bill Self, who gave out a batch of handshakes and hugs and executed a fist pump or two after Kansas University’s double-overtime victory over Oklahoma State on Wednesday, admits he was more animated than usual on a snowy night at his alma mater.

“This is probably as excited as I’ve been coaching in a game in a while,” Self said after sophomore guard Naadir Tharpe’s shot in the lane gave the Jayhawks a 68-67 decision.

It was a game with huge implications in the league. The victory boosted KU’s league mark to 10-3, same as Kansas State. OSU fell to 9-4.

Free-throw excellence

Senior Jeff Withey calmly sank 11 of 14 free throws on a night every charity was needed.

“I was pretty proud. I was a good free-throw shooter last year and made them tonight. I got my groove back a bit. It was easy to knock them down,” Withey said.

Twitter talk

Rio Adams’ official Twitter account exploded with some negative posts about his situation at KU around 3 p.m. Wednesday.

Here are some of the tweets either posted by the freshman guard from Seattle or someone using his account.

• Yeah the situation I’m in is great and all but it’s obvious they want me to quit...

• All I was Tryna show this man is he had a guy that will take 50bullets for him but he’s blinded by his favorites...

• There’s no question that I would of been getting mad minutes anywhere else in America people its a #FACT..

• It’s 2 Late Now....

• Alot of Hype can get you far I see it every time someone makes it and gets far...

• I just wanna be happy and play ball

After an uproar from KU fans on Twitter, he posted: “It’s all good I gone through this before.”

• Haha this is funny I tweet and its direct towards my team and KU give me a break if I feel I need to say something about my team ill say it

• None of my tweets were ever directed toward KU but it seems everytime I tweet it so happens that’s who I’m talking bout thats not rite#AtAll

Adams, or somebody using his account, did remove several of the posts before Wednesday’s game.

Self spoke to the Journal-World about the tweets after Wednesday’s win at OSU.

“He is frustrated,” Self said of the player who has not played much this season. “He didn’t have a great shootaround today. I talked to him about it (tweets). I’m disappointed he’d say (tweet) anything negative. He will not be doing anything negative in the future or he won’t be around. I read them. They were not the best in the world; they were not the worst, either.”

NBA trades

Multiple outlets reported several trades involving Jayhawks in the NBA on Wednesday.

Marcus Morris reportedly was traded from Houston to Phoenix to join brother Markieff on the Suns. Cole Aldrich was traded from Houston to Sacramento. And Thomas Robinson was dealt from Sacramento to Houston.

Travel

KU’s traveling party was to drive to Oklahoma City after the game and fly to Lawrence. No de-icing equipment was available in Stillwater.

Nice digs

OSU’s Gallagher-Iba Arena, which used to seat 6,381, was remodeled in 2000 to seats 13,611. This season, the Cowboys averaged 9,082 through 14 dates heading into the KU game.

“Whoever designed that ... kudos because you did not compromise integrity of one of the most historic buildings to play in,” said Self, a former OSU point guard.

Conner on fire

Future KU guard Conner Frankamp of Wichita North, who set the Wichita City League career scoring record on Friday night against Bishop Carroll, has scored 29, 37, 48, 43, 31, 40 and 37 points in seven games played since his return from a concussion.

Frankamp’s jumper from the free throw line with 45 seconds left, gave him 2,233 points, two more than KU freshman Perry Ellis of Wichita Heights. He finished with 37 points in North’s 52-40 victory.

“It’s an honor, for sure, especially to do it in front of the fans at North,” Frankamp told the Wichita Eagle. “It’s been a goal of mine all year to get that record and help my team win as much as I can while trying to pursue that record. It was great to get it that night. There’s a lot of relief that came out of my body. I was worrying about it all day and trying to win the game. It was excitement and relief.”

Frankamp was taken out of the game to a standing ovation after setting the prestigious scoring record.

“I just told him how I was proud of him,” said North assistant coach Marty Frankamp, who is Conner’s dad. “I could tell he was relieved. He was double-clutching both his fists there. It was a good relief of pressure there.”

Frankamp took in stride his omission from the McDonald’s All-America game.

“It was pretty disappointing ... the fact I could have made it and to play with those guys,” Frankamp said. “I can also use it as motivation to get better and work harder than them (those who made it).”

“It’s kind of hard to think that they could pass up someone like him,” Wichita Carroll coach Lonnie Lollar told the Eagle. “Those guys (like Frankamp) don’t come around but every 20, 30, maybe 40 years.”

Comments

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

It is hard for these young players who have been stars and starters most of their lives to suddenly compete with a group with similar talents and more experience. Hopefully Rio will realize he will be part of something special if he sticks with the program. There is no doubt he will become a much better player under Coach Self.

Remember Thomas Robinson say little playing time until his freshman year? Releford, Withey, Tharpe? It's working out very well for those guys.

ku_foaf 1 year, 1 month ago

Remember Thomas Robinson say little playing time until his freshman year? Releford, Withey, Tharpe? It's wouking out very well for those guys.

William Blake 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio... It stinks to be at the bottom of the favorite's list now... but someday you will be the favorite shining star for CS. Read back in time and you'll discover that Tyshawn, Chalmers, and others all thought of quitting. Mario even mentioned it during his jersey retirement ceremony.

You've only played a few minutes in games but you have become a real favorite with fans! No fans in the country know basketball like Jayhawk fans... and they like you because they see the potential in you and one day you will become a Jayhawk legend.

Right now all you have to do is buckle down and take your lumps... its an "organic process" that most great players have to go through to reach their aspirations... and the players who don't face their lumps typically can not reach the top because the most-important piece is missing; character.

Hang in there, Rio...

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio -

I've witnessed you get your chance on several occassions. Try playing for 2 minutes without turning the ball over 3 times, fouling, and missing your defensive assigment.

Self has given you a chance to prove yourself, and you've proven yourself unreliable at best.

All that I can forgive, but a man owns up to it and doesn't whine on social media sites. The Rio Adams I've seen on the floor would start in a lot of other programs....mostly D-2 schools; maybe the Missouri Valley Conference if you were lucky.

Man up, shut up, and play basketball.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio can't see it, but 2 amazing playing years at KU is better than 4 years playing for nobody U.

AZHawk72 1 year, 1 month ago

When someone's shooting poorly in a shoot-around and you get up by twenty and don't put them in to work through it, I don't think that's good. When the time comes for "mop-up" time and the court is filled with walk-ons, leaving White and Adams to pout, I think it's just adding insult to injury. I know there is a time for "tough love," but young people today view it as public humiliation on a VERY public stage. All year I've wanted to see these five on the court at the same time: Traylor, Ellis, White, Adams, and Tharpe--and for at least a five minute stretch.

It's the least we can do for a second team that's made the first team better.

Brian Stoops 1 year, 1 month ago

The day after we pull off a win in Stillwater and everyone's blabbering on and on about Anrio Adams. Why?

Where's Jaybate? I miss him.

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, leave, if that is the best thing for you. If you decide to stay, put your head down, listen to coach, and work hard to please him and develope your skills. Whichever decision you make, Jayhawk Nation will support you. In the meantime, put a sock in it!!!

Eric TheCapn 1 year, 1 month ago

Terrible move by Rio, but Self certainly does have his favorites. Can anyone explain why Tharpe never gets a start at point nor gets to play it most of the game, STILL? The fans have been asking for this for months and they've been right. Tharpe is better at point than EJ, but Tharpe should only be allowed to take three shots per game... unless it's double-OT!

Congrats to the Morris twins. That's boss!

justinryman 1 year, 1 month ago

"Remeber life before Twitter? You know when people kept their thoughts to themselves?"

David Letterman

jay381 1 year, 1 month ago

Frankly I found the comments by Rio to be immature not only for their content but for the timing of the outburst. Rio just in case you did not realize it the OSU game was in terms of the continuity of the Big 12 championship probably the most important game so far this year. There is a time and a place and frankly this should have been taken up with either your head coach or position coach or at a minimum with some of the senior leadership. Even given you are too immature to realize that for goodness sake could you at least understand your teammates and staff do not need mindless distractions prior to this game? I would also answer every time I see you enter the game it scares the heck out of me based on your performance. Perhaps you play with the same lack of concern for the team as you tweet.

Janet Olin 1 year, 1 month ago

Don't be a cry baby, Rio. I know that D1 is rougher and faster than when you were a h.s.star. Every player recruited by Coach Self is someone he believes is tough enough to succeed. Players don't get game time until after they have showed some of what he wants on D. That's Coach Self and his system, like it or not. I'd say his 86+% winning percentage over 10 seasons at KU proves he's doing many things right. Call Mario, Brandon, Tyshawn, RussRob--all of them went through the same thing as freshmen and became excellent players. The fans are rooting for you. Listen and practice hard.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 1 month ago

K Club member here, and thank goodness twitter wasn't around back in my day. I loved KU, but wasn't always 100% happy. I ran my mouth more than once, but never to a coach. Problem is twitter/facebook puts it out there and these are kids. Kids mature a different rates. Best thing to do is keep your head down, work your butt off and learn from upper classmen. I've only heard one former KU athlete say he regretted going to KU, and in that case he wasn't good enough to play (Football) at KU-back in the 70's when we were going to bowl games. This guy stated he should have gone back East and studied instead of trying to be an athlete so it had nothing to do with KU, it was sports vs studies.

And who ever posted "Travis, if your reading this take Rio aside" that was spot on. Travis carries himself very well as do all the starters.

Sam Constance 1 year, 1 month ago

The Twitter stuff from Rio is disappointing, but not terribly surprising, for a couple of reasons. First of all, as others have mentioned, he's made comments of dissatisfaction on Twitter before. But honestly, the reckless, didn't-think-it-through attitude that posting these kinds of comments requires is reflected a little in how he plays the game.

When he's gotten any semblance of extended time this year, he has shown flashes of elite talent, but it comes mixed with a heap of recklessness, carelessness, fundamentally unsound defense and occassional lack of all-out effort. He talks (tweets) and plays like a guy who overvalues his own talent and doesn't appreciate the more mature aspects of both expressing oneself in public and playing basketball. I don't mean he isn't talented, but he seems to think his talent is enough, and while some places it might be, at Kansas, talent alone is never enough.

I won't say much more because HEM more or less expressed exactly how I feel about the situation. One thing I'll add is that if Rio does get the wake-up call and shows some wisdom and maturity here, I'll be right behind him 100%, like any other Jayhawk. I just hope he takes some time to think about what he's doing and listen to people who may have a little more wisdom than he does on the matter.

Thank goodness Twitter wasn't around when I was 18-19 years old.

Blake Brown 1 year, 1 month ago

IMHO, a player needs to show consistent and reliable traits when hes on the floor and produce minutes where there is an overall positive result. Rio has had way too many occasions where he has been put into the game, committed a TO, missed a defensive assignment,made a poor decision and cost us, resulting in negative court time. Self has shown more than leniency in coming back with him and still he fails to have quality minutes. Our bench is horrible. Ellis, White and Adams are part of the reason. They have way underperformed and not even provided a decent relief for the regulars who need to take a breath. Only in the last few games has Traylor shown some consistently good play on both ends of the court, a pleasant surprise as he is definitely a project. Get out of Dodge Rio if you cant help the team on the floor and off. Expressing frustration to the general public is one negative and if the tweets did in fact come from him. he should be removed from the team. This is about a "team' and he has placed himself outside that concept. Let`s move on and play with those who really want to be here and contribute in a positive way. Rock Chalk!

Adam Gerval 1 year, 1 month ago

I hate how this whole page is nothing but Rio complaints. Spare me this, 'he only made one mistake and gets yanked' garbage. You men in his last two appearances he immediately turns the ball over and fouls. He'll be good sure, but stop crying. YOU'RE NOT better than EJ, Tharpe, B-Mac, or T-Rel. Ya, you're right, you would be getting major minutes in other places...BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THE OPTIONS WE DO.

Anyways...on the huge game last night. Sick of hearing this crap about our bigs. I thought Withey played great. Thought Young played better than usual, seeing as how he infuriates me with his dumb ass mistakes. But I thought Traylor played great last night in his limited time.

Loved the way EJ played, minus his FT shooting. Tharpe played terribly, but hit the shot that mattered the most. I'll take that. B-Mac has to be more assertive. T-Rel played pretty well I thought. I don't know why people think he's not very good offensively, he's great when he's running at the rack. He's truly a hidden gem on this team.

Anyways, Jayhawk fans, be happy! We won! Stop crying about all the negatives.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope Rio stays. He can look at Tharpe's minutes last year and be encouraged, but Tharpe never complained (publicly, at least). To paraphrase, after the season Tharpe said, "I need to get better at everything. I didn't do anything great." And Tharpe still knows there is room for improvement, so he will get better. Adams sounds like he thinks he's better than he is, and that is worse than some stupid tweets.

iamakufan 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope Rio figures out he's going through the learning curve like nearly every new player at a quality basketball school. He has the talent. His time will come. I imagine knowing another freshman, McLemore, is getting all that time makes it harder for Adams. I hope Chalmers' comments the other night were heard by Adams. Chalmers went through similar frustrations and look how he turned out. And Naadir last year. Hang in there, Rio. We're looking forward to seeing you develop those talents.

Yolanda Gay 1 year, 1 month ago

I understand Rio's frustration. He makes one mistake and is yanked out of the game. EJ has been making mistake after mistake (especially in prior games) and Self leaves him in the game. Rio is a freshman and should be able to make mistakes, play through them, and learn from them. If a freshman goes in a game and play in fear of making a mistake and being yanked, they won't be effective.

stinkybulldog 1 year, 1 month ago

Pay your dues, rio de janeiro!

BPSkelly 1 year, 1 month ago

Ahh... the rantings and salutations of an 18 year old kid in the Twitter era. The reality is if he were good enough to play -- he would. Self doesnt trust him enough yet. As several of you have posted, there are TONS of guys who ended up going pro that Self started on the bench. I've said all season, im quite sure Self would love to have Traylor or Ellis play more. I love Young, but these other two guys are clearly more talented. However, Young knows better than most on this team exactly what he needs to do and whats expected of him. And he does that to near perfection.

I wouldnt get to ate up about Rio's rants though. Rio should. As in he needs to understand all of the world (or at least Jayhawk Nation) is watching. You get the good and the bad with the unfilteredness of the Twitter/Facebook era. The blade cuts both ways Rio.

Self should be fired up. Grinding out wins against good teams is likely what Self and his staff live for. Good stuff.

CalBBaller 1 year, 1 month ago

Good-bye Rio. Thanks for your scholarship back.

machinegun 1 year, 1 month ago

Big Bill is a hard case. That's how he coaches the game. When it looks like he is coughing violently into his hand, he is saying things to his players that mommies and little kiddies should not hear. Rio is going thru the same drill as Mario, Sherron, RussRob, TT, and all the rest. If he can hang tough, he will be one of our go to guys. Right now, he can support the rest of the team by remaining fired up about playing for KU.

cobweb 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio needs to keep his focus where it belongs for a 18 year old. Getting laid!

cobweb 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio needs to keep his focus where it belongs for a 19 year old. Getting laid!

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

... oh yeah, I wish McLemore could have made the trip down to OK, we could have used him last night.

MinorThreat 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, Take your freshman medicine.. there's several examples of recent players waiting their turn and being rewarded for it.

jackoman 1 year, 1 month ago

RIO What about Andrew White. Haven't seen him in a few games. Nice 3 point shooter?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 1 month ago

I just became OSU's biggest fan...hope they beat the kitty cats at the end of the year.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Twitter and Facebook are so stupid. I honestly think it should be a prerequisite that if you are going to play basketball at Kansas, you agree to not access these accounts until your playing career is done. Is this going to happen? No....

It's unfortunate though because people say things they regret. And unfortunately, these guys are making these statements to the world where before Twitter and Facebook existed, it would have remained within the team or at least on campus. When you Twitter something to the extent that Adams has, it's almost impossible to reverse the situation.

The only way it's possible for Adams to remain a Jayhawk next year is if he is able to humble himself....get rid of his pride...apologize to Self, the team, and the fans...and work his tail off. The dude is going to be a great player wherever he plays ball whether it's this season, next season, or two years from now. I for one hope he remains at Kansas. I think he could be special.

Releford, if you are reading this...teach this young man something. He could learn so much from your experience.

Casey Gee 1 year, 1 month ago

From what I've seen of Rio, I have been really excited about his future here. But the things he said show he is another freshman out of touch with reality. Bill Self playing favorites? Does he mean seniors? Do you see AWIII on twitter complaining that Bill Self keeps playing his favorite McLemore instead of him, no because on most nights McLemore is the best option and White is smart/ humble enough to understand that. I hope Adams decides to stick it out because he has much more playing time in coming years, but if he keeps bringing this negative attitude it would probably be better for him to leave.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio: See the forest, not the trees, young man.

Look at where Naadir Tharpe was last year: He barely played at all behind Tyshawn and Elijah. He turned the ball over all the time. Almost every time he got yanked, Self was red-faced and frustrated with him.

Contrast that with this year: Naadir is getting a ton of minutes and is contributing big time. He bided his time and has officially "arrived."

Next year, Naadir will be the starter and you, Rio, will be the backup PG. Just make it through one more summer and your time will come! Think of it this way: It's one year of mop-up minutes in exchange for three years of ample opportunity to contribute big time to one of the best schools in the country. Stick with it, Rio!

jacqueshock 1 year, 1 month ago

The thing about many of these tweets, if they were by Adams, is they are usually written in a personal journal or spoken to a confidant. That is their place. If you heard Mario Chalmer's speech at the jersey retirement, he said many similar things when he was a freshman. Thank goodness Twitter wasn't around then or else he just might have transferred. That's why there are older teammates to put a hand on your shoulder, listen, and give advice. Twitter is just crazy and I have not given into it.

tis4tim 1 year, 1 month ago

It's troubling these days when private matters are dealt with in a public forum. If Rio is unhappy with his court time, he should be beating down Coach Self's door routinely to find out exactly what he needs to do to get better and then start exhibiting some improvement during practice. Only then will he start to see more run during actual games.

Every season we hear post-game comments from KU opponents talking about how difficult it is to replicate the speed and athleticism of our squad during their practices. That means guys like Rio have every opportunity to excel because our practice team is quite possibly more talented than many of the starters on opposing squads. That leaves little in the way of excuses and it means Rio has just not shown enough yet to justify more time on the court.

Ultimately, I'd love to see Rio stay and develop, but he has to know that going public with all this junk is a losing proposition as it's not Bill Self who is expendable. If Rio wants to stay he should stay. If he wants to go he should go. Either way, he needs to take an active role if he wants to improve his situation, not spout off in a court of public opinion. Ironically, it's probably this serial passive-aggressive tendency that has kept him on the bench in the first place.

The measure of a man is not how he handles success, but how he handles adversity. So, Rio, the next move is yours.

ollerfarm 1 year, 1 month ago

Five seconds into a game, dribble off your own foot, watch the player take the ball and race the ball for a score and you are astounded and can't move and then you want to play more. Point guard make the other 4 better by sharing the ball to them and NOT turning it over. There is room for a point like that, you might be that guy but it's up to you. If you play 1 or 3 minutes and do the above then you'll be playing 3 or 5 minutes, it's when Self can TRUST you to play like you are should that your minutes will come.

Joe Joseph 1 year, 1 month ago

Not sure why anyone (including rio) thinks he deserves more PT than he's already getting. He's a turnover factory and is an over rated defender. He fouls too often (and at horrible times) and gets burned for constantly over playing his man.

Everyone remembers his defense in the exhibition games when KU was playing division 2 teams. Rio has not shown he can effectively guard D1 talent. Lets face it. He's had his opportunities and he has simply not made the best of them.

I hope he stays. The list of guards who stuck around and turned out to be "pretty good" is well published. But now is not his time.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 1 month ago

Adams is a drama queen. He's said stuff similar to this before and has made sporadic references to the same topic. Not being happy. Having to think about things. Blah, blah, blah. I'd posted about it last week. Self's quote about being quiet or not being around for too much longer is the perfect response.

I really don't know what the kid was thinking coming in. Did he really think he was going to be a rotation guy? If Self wasn't guaranteeing Trevor Lacey playing time (as Lacey had mentioned), he wasn't going to guarantee this kid anything. My guess is that he felt Tharpe was easy pickings to snag the backup point role. Heck, we were speculating on that that. Now, Tharpe is ahead of him. Tharpe has 2 more seasons here. And we have Selden, Green and Frankamp coming in next season, with White .. all competing for time at the 1, 2 and 3 spots.

My unsolicited advice to Adams. Be a man. Shut your mouth. Compete. KU will go forward with or without you. It's your choice. If you want to be here, great. We're with you 100%. If you can't learn from those who were in your position before you, no one can help you. If you're not invested 100%, fine. Leave.

My unsolicited advice to coach Self .. if he runs his mouth one more time, suspend him for the rest of the season. But that sounds like the plan anyway. So more like a vote in support.

This guy is an obvious transfer. It's no surprise. We discussed here the Tharpe vs. Adams scenario heading into the season, given the recruiting class. This stuff plays itself out.

Boouk 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio transferring would be addition by subtraction. He still hasn't made a shot beyond 15 feet this season in a game, and I have no idea why he thinks he deserves PT when he commits a horrible turnover right once he enters the game.

RockChalkJT18 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio -

I hope you stick it out cause you will be a great player in the future. A couple words of advice: go watch the tape from last year of every game Naadir got some PT. Here's a quick synopsis:

Sub in; TO; yanked

Next game: sub in; TO; yanked

Look what Naadir is doing this year. Coach is tough on you to make you better - and you haven't handled tough pressure yet. Work hard this summer and you can make an impact next year.

I hope you stick around, but get your head right first.

REHawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, if those twitter comments are actually yours, then your coach is in the right to declare that anymore negatives and your saddle will be sent packing. I have clamored all year for more minutes, both for you and Andrew. At this stage, if you are not proving your value on the practice court, coupled with not making the best of very limited game minutes, then you are going to have to control your emotions in the social media or take a hike. Draining anxieties with a roommate or trusted friend is one thing; but dropping your drawers for the world's inspection is dumb, dumb, dumb. I think you have the body and potential talent to become a major piece in the puzzle of winning Jayhawk hoops, if you are determined to accept instruction and continue to improve. You now appear to have boxed yourself into a corner. Public whining must stop, pronto.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

Can't wait to see Conner in a KU uniform.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I've got a feeling that Rio will stick it out.

Tyshawn went through this. Elijah went through it. Robinson and Chalmers went though it. This type of thing is nothing new.

Rio, you'll be a better man and a better player by just toughing it out. Keep your head up, and take it to the starters everyday in practice. If you've got something to say about the team, say it to the team. You're much better off keeping it in the locker room than putting it in the public forum.

Ben Kane 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio,

you are going through the rite of passage of kansas guards. this is where you are tested, are you a quitter or are you a man who accepts a challenge and overcomes? If it's the former good luck to you, if it's the latter jayhawk nation will be behind you and you will be amazed at your success. .

gchawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, did you listen to Mario Chalmers speech at the Texas game? I'm not asking if you heard it, I'm asking if you listened to it. He gave a special thanks to Jeff Hawkins for talking him into staying his freshman year instead of leaving. Mario's frustration level was exactly where yours is, so you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last, player who has felt frustrated. A little more maturity could go a long way, I'd recommend staying around and getting that maturity.

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio is watching the same game we are! Our gaurd play sucks! They stop dribbling at exactly the wrong time, rotate to nuetral spots that obscure others, charge towards the basket when there are huge lanes 5 feet from it, and can't seem to hit or find easy shots. There seems to be no pointguard and no shooting guard playing our games! I can understand Rio is upset. Anyone would feel that way. But i would tell him, "if you dont want others to control your business, take care of your business."

There is nothing that would stand in the way of a point or shooting guard coming to the rescue. SO DO IT !!! Bill has to protect his starters from complete melt down, they are all he has !!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, you can go get "mad minutes" at Washington State like Royce Woolridge. How's that working out for him?

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

It's not rocket science, Rio...quality minutes NOW = more minutes down the stretch. Handle your business AND the ball and everything will take care of itself.

jhawkchuck 1 year, 1 month ago

Has anyone else noticed KU has problems with all b-ball recruits from Seattle? Micah, CJ, and now Rio. I lived up in that foggy,drizzly, depressing hole for 6 years and I will tell you it effects your psyche. My advice is quit recruiting from there.

midwest_muser 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio is demonstrating the same lack of maturity off the floor that is the reason he can't stay on the floor. He'll either grow up or he won't. Either way, things will work themselves out. If you don't know better than to be an idiot with social media, you won't be any better with the ball....

Luca Rossi 1 year, 1 month ago

I don't support all of the negative postings towards Rio. IF the tweets are from him, then its unfortunate but understandable. Part of being a competitor is that constant burning desire to compete and be out on the court. It is not easy to be on the side watching. Its natural to be frustrated. The players who end up becoming great are the ones who can use that burning desire to be the best to overcome the early struggles and learn from those who have been in your shoes before.

I don't think Rio is the quitting type. The frustration was probably at a high point and he made a mistake. Most people are forgiving enough and a few positive tweets to show that you're heart is here to stay would do a lot of good.

I think the guy is an amazing talent, great kid, and will be a star here if he keeps working hard. He's come so far to even be here at one of the nation's top programs and the lineup for next year is wide open. Much more open than many of the guys who were in his situation before. The opportunity is there, don't wait for it to be given to you, earn it.

notaubermime 1 year, 1 month ago

I get where Rio is coming from. It is hard not to be frustrated when things that used to come easily suddenly become tough to do. When that happens, not every young adult is going to have the poise to not run their mouth. I certainly ran my mouth when I was at that age and in that situation.

But the older and more patient me would caution Adams against thinking thoughts of "I could get more playing time somewhere else". It isn't that such thoughts aren't true (they are), but that thinking that way is giving up. He came here to play with the best in college basketball. Self gave him a scholarship because Self thinks Adams is capable of playing at that level. You never get better as a player (or as a person) if you just stop when things get hard. You have to persevere.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 1 month ago

If it is indeed Rio, then get the hell on. You've already shown you can't handle in ball in crunch-time any better than what we already have.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 1 month ago

The free flow, stream of consciousness, almost drunk sounding tweets are absolutely dumbfounding. How do you mend those broken bridges now with your coaches, teammates and the fans? I do NOT expect he returns, nor do I really care at this moment if he transfers. To get what you are looking for. Amazing how it's never the guy making the childish tweets taking the time to look in the mirror.

Jaminrawk 1 year, 1 month ago

It's funny because Rio is just going through the same thing Russell, Tyshawn and Elijah all went through sitting on the bench. I wonder if he realizes that Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and Darrell Arthur were all bench players at points on the National Championship team. Or that Thomas Robinson only started one year in his KU career.

You earn playing time at KU. Last time Rio came in a game he promptly turned the ball over. Very much like Tharpe last year. Dude needs to calm down and just work hard. He'll get his turn.

tathagata 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio needs to leave, and leave now. In a hurry. Hurry, hurry up. Be gone already.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 1 month ago

How come Kentucky doesn't have a problem like this? They have a 2 5-star players deep roster!

Jeremy Caudle 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio. Enjoy the rest of the season. Enjoy Lawrence this summer. Work hard. It's clear that you are at least our bacup point next year as of right now. I dont see Mason or Frankamp ahead of you. Work hard. And you will see that success you want. We can all see your potential even if it's only in flashes. Stay. Learn the offense. Own the offense. Coach is testing your testical fortitude right now. Accept the challenge my man. You wont regret it later in life I promise you.

Janet Scott 1 year, 1 month ago

Bye, Rio.

Perry will come around. Right now he looks too much like a Burger King High School All American.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, you made a wise decision when you chose KU. Universities are areas of learning, growing,and maturing. Most of your fans here will support whatever choice you make. If you think your future will be better by leaving, then do so with our blessings. You are not the first to have had these problems here; some chose to leave and others to stay. My biased belief is that those that left regret it now, and those that stuck it out, are glad they did.

Try contacting former players from both decisions and seek their advise. You have a future here, just as those seniors who have earned the confidence of the coach. As stated in previous post, you can be all you can be in Bill's army if you apply what the coaching staff is asking of you. They'll need this entire team to be battle ready, and one injury can have you playing major minutes on a team with final four aspirations.

Relax and enjoy being at one of the elite programs and good things will come.

Jim Baker 1 year, 1 month ago

...“I definitely was more animated with the officials tonight, but I’ll be honest, I look forward to watching tape. I think I could have been more (animated), to be honest.”...

I smell a fine coming. Whether blatant or implied, any negative commentary about the officiating will be punished. But I couldn't agree with you more, Bill! The officials sucked bad in this one!!

jbal32 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio, Stick it out! You will most likely be a 1st round pick when the time comes. Patience is a virtue my friend.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 1 month ago

Rio will still be a bench warmer comes next season. My man Wayne will teach him how to shut up and just play ball. If you can't even take care of an unguarded ball - yes, reality does bite, you just have to suck it up. But don't give up. Failure is your way to success. Stay hungry, my friend - wherever you end up playing.

HawkitToEm 1 year, 1 month ago

i grew up watching KU bball, and i can only imagine what the likes of rex walters or kenny gregory or lester earle would have been capable of saying on twitter or facebook. tyshawn had his own socia media missteps. self asks a whole lot of his players. many guys that young can't stand up to self's demands (e.g. elijah's struggles this year). of course we want the talent of adams, but if he isn't buying into the the program, KU and Rio would both be happier with a transfer.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 1 month ago

I've questioned whether Frankamp will play major minutes next year... But he's scoring 2/3 of his team's points? They're guarding him, right??? That's crazy!

Jay Dogger 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope Rio sticks around and has a career like EJ or Releford. But he should work on his English as much as his ball handling and jump shot.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm frustrated by Rio's grammar.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 1 month ago

Also, did anyone else see Ford boo the officials after a call against one of his players in the first OT? I couldn't stop laughing.

woowoowoo01 1 year, 1 month ago

I get the feeling we're going to have an extra scholarship open up next season to make 7 available. Too bad, I really like Rio.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 1 month ago

I know social media sites will never go away, but I'd love to live in a world without Twitter.