Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 68-67

• 8 p.m., Feb. 20, 2013
  • Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mr. Big Shot: Naadir Tharpe’s field goal puts KU on top

Kansas guard Naadir Tharpe gets a hug from head coach Bill Self after sinking a floater to give the Jayhawks the advantage over Oklahoma State with seconds remaining in double overtime on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013 at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Box score

KU-OSU

— Bill Self raced over to the man of the hour, the hero of the game, Naadir Tharpe, and wrapped his arms around the 5-foot-11 point guard, giving him a heck of a hug after Kansas University’s 68-67 double-overtime victory over Oklahoma State on Wednesday in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“Coach just said, ‘You hit the game-winner,’” Tharpe said, smiling after his 7-footer in the lane with 16.5 ticks left in double OT pushed the Jayhawks (22-4, 10-3) into a tie for first place in the Big 12 Conference with Kansas State. Oklahoma State, which beat KU, 85-80, on Feb. 2 in Lawrence, fell to 9-4.

“A lot of people don’t believe in me. (Self) does,” added Tharpe, who ran the show exclusively after Elijah Johnson fouled out in the first overtime.

“Coach called ‘flat,’ which we call at the end of the (shot) clock. I knew I had to make a play. I was a little disappointed in myself. I let Forte (Phil) hit a shot to tie the game (at 63-63 in first OT). I had some turnovers at the end. I was real thankful for coach doing that (hug) and having confidence in me.”

Tharpe, who finished with four points off 2-of-11 shooting (0-for-6 from three), certainly hit the one big shot when it counted.

Self felt he deserved a personal audience as KU had a short celebration following the final horn.

“I said, ‘You won the game. It’s the biggest play you ever made in your life,’” Self said of a shot that Self said was “well-guarded” by Forte. “He and Ben’s shot against Iowa State (three to force overtime in KU victory over Cyclones) are our two biggest shots of the season so far.”

Oklahoma State still had a chance to win by converting on its final possession. With Marcus Smart (16 points, 11-for-14 from line and 2-of-14 from the field) having fouled out in the second OT, Markel Brown put up a jumper with 10 seconds left. The ball caromed to the corner, where Travis Releford kept the ball in bounds and tipped it downcourt away from Brown as the clock expired.

“Forte was falling and tried to throw it off Travis. Travis was able to keep that ball in bounds and bat it forward. It really was an unbelievable play by Trav,” Self added of the senior who had 18 points off 7-of-10 shooting and 4-for-7 free-throwing.

Regulation ended tied when Smart missed a deep fadeaway from three. The first overtime ended when Releford missed a driving shot with :03 left, and Smart missed a deep heave. Self said he thought Releford was fouled, “But it worked out OK. He made a great move but didn’t get the call.”

Smart actually heaved a three-quarter-court shot that almost broke the tie after one OT, barely missing.

“That was more like fourth-fifths-court,” Self said. “That shocked me. There were three seconds left, and he just shoots it.”

Jeff Withey was huge for KU by hitting 11 of 14 free throws, grabbing 14 rebounds and scoring 17 points with four blocks. Also, Kevin Young had 11 rebounds and eight points. Jamari Traylor provided a spark when needed the first half with four points.

“He is a man,” KU coach Self said of OSU’s Smart. “He goes 2-for-14, we do about the best job we can on him and he makes free throws.”

KU will meet TCU at 3 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Timothy Rake 1 year, 10 months ago

Whithey huge with free throws when we couldn't buy a basket in OT. Releford showed senior saavy with the swat downcourt. Nadir stepped up on a night when BMac was invisible and EJ on the bench. Rock Chalk.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

I think that his 13.4ppg on 55% shooting suggest that he is a pretty decent scorer. Not elite by any means, but he gets his buckets.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 10 months ago

Why would you take away layups and dunks?

Luca Rossi 1 year, 10 months ago

Possible OK St. News Headline for today: "Smart injures ankle, calf, shoulder, hand, back, pinky, ear lobe in 2OT Loss to Kansas"

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey, he served his fair share of shots back....like the elbow to Elijah's cheek that was then called a freaking blocking foul!

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Withey stabbed him in the eye as well

wrwlumpy 1 year, 10 months ago

This is the picture being used by all press services. K. Young doing Eddie murphy's famous SNL skit. by wrwlumpy

AirCapJay 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha man. I just swallowed a cheerio down my wind-pipe!

bg_duck1 1 year, 10 months ago

I almost fell off my couch last night when I saw Bill do this. I was laughing SO hard!

hawk316 1 year, 10 months ago

Absolutely. A HUGE win. OK State is a very talented, tough-minded, highly competitive team that plays terrific defense. In addition, Stillwater is such a tough place to play for visiting teams. That game presented a major challenge and the team responded. Very impressive.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree with your point--Chalmers, Robinson et al spoiled us the past several years. But the fact remains that Johnson and Tharpe are much better when they go to the basket and create points instead of just jacking up 3s with 25 seconds left on the shot clock.

diegohawk 1 year, 10 months ago

JayDogger hit the nail on the head. Less deep shots for EJ and Naa for a couple games. Mix Rio in on the ball. Less use of the perimeter weave. Attack the paint guards and kick to an open BMac or AW3 if he ever gets in a game the rest of the year. May be surprised if we snap out of our scoring funk attacking the paint and as a byproduct the deep shots may start falling.

bradh 1 year, 10 months ago

EJ and Tharpe could have had several more assists, but most of the others passed on open shots. I think one reason they have a poor shooting percentage is because they get the ball back late in the possession, the open people they've gotten the ball to didn't put up a shot, and they have to put one up or face another pass around the horn without a shot being put up. I'd prefer they not put up as many shots when they're not hitting, but with the others backing off, I'm glad they aren't frightened to put up the shot.

davehawkSWK 1 year, 10 months ago

I think that Coach Self has closed practices so we do not know how the freshmen perform in practice. It might be that AW3 does not build the coaches confidence in his play performance during practice. Coach Self has an excellent staff that rates the players and how they may, or may not, perform. Hopefully, these young men on the bench will be very hungry and start to come off the bench a little more mean. Speaking of freshmen, I have not seen much of Perry Ellis' much anticipated abilities!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe has always been a great shooter, even in High School. You never want to tell a great shooter, not to shoot, even when they are in a slump. He has to shoot his way out of his slump, and he will. Nobody was saying he should not shoot 3's when he was hitting more of them earlier in the year. We will need him to make those, going forward, to open up the inside more for our bigs. Have Faith JayDogger. Rock chalk Baby!

madamhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

My heart is still racing! I had a feeling that it would be a dog fight and we would escape with a 1 point win. IF I was a betting woman, I should have placed a bet in Vegas. But hell, don't know how all that works.

P.S. The sign in the student section that said "he's a man...he's Forte" has to be top 5 of the season so far. I LMAO!!!

Safe travels home Jayhawks.

KULA 1 year, 10 months ago

Didn't you call a 1pt win yesterday? Nice call!

Bill Skeet 1 year, 10 months ago

Congratulations to the team on victory worthy of a Big12 champion! Still more work to do, but....

....That was AWESOME! http://youtu.be/Jk6oL04FQO0

Jack Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

The definition of a "poor winner". Relax, celebrate a great win

Choctaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree. Don't get caught up in the BS of bad mouthing the other team when you win. Just smile and enjoy the run. Releford said when they won they would walk off the floor with class and they did. Leave the trash talking to the losers.

David Leathers 1 year, 10 months ago

If Ralster was a player, I would understand about the sportsmanship. However, he is a fan and is entitled to say whatever he wants, even if it doesn't scream elite sportsmanship. Besides, If you're calling him out for stating a fact (Ford's lack of height) then you should be doing that to a lot of the folks on here.

KUFan90 1 year, 10 months ago

I felt sorry for Travis Ford. He is the same height as Holly Rowe.

Aligned 1 year, 10 months ago

Don’t feel too sorry for him. He’s enjoying a twenty million dollar contract coaching basketball at a major university. We should all be so unfortunate. And no, I’m not short, just tired of people commenting on his height.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, Aligned - it has to be done. That's what happens when he makes 100 references to Bill Self as " sawed-off ".

Dan Harris 1 year, 10 months ago

Am I missing something on all the venom being thrown at Ford the last couple of days? I mean it's not like he's an a@@hole like Drew or sleazy like Cal.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

agree to disagree - he went to Misswho AND Kentucky. Hard to get much skankier than that.

Choctaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Since when Is height a criteria to being a good coach? Roy Williams wants very tall either.

jjinks 1 year, 10 months ago

I didn't know Roy Williams wanted to be very tall. Hum, that was his problem!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Yeah, but she was wearing heels. Wait - so was he.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

It was a classic heavyweight fight with two tremendous defensive teams battling it out tooth and nail. Despite all the sloppiness and poor shooting, it made me proud to be a fan of the Big XII.

I'm with jackdavid on this one; let's show some class and not rub it in.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Wonder how tall some of these posters are, and the motivation for all these comments about Ford's height...

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Some Observations:

-The game lived up to the hype IMO. It wasn’t pretty offensively for either team, but it was a battle defensively and I definitely tip my hat to the Jayhawks and The Pokes for a great game.

-Twice Kansas was up 3 and instead of giving up a 2 point basket, Kansas’ defense “Helped” too much and gave up open 3 point looks. Smart tied it in regulation and Forte did the same in one of the OT’s tying it I believe at 63 all after Tharpe hedged too much.

-I know people will talk about officiating, but let’s face it, it was bad for both teams. I mean, I can count multiple times where both teams benefitted from calls and multiple times where no calls hurt both squads. Honestly, I think the officiating was so bad last night that it actually evened out for both squads. Bad night for that crew IMO.

-“Season Saving Dunk”-I really think that that dunk EJ had after the whistle on Mr. Brown (Or was it Mr. Cobbin? Don’t know for sure) may have saved EJ’s season. EJ was already playing with a little more confidence prior to that sequence, but he played with some “Swag” after that dead ball dunk and scuffle with Okie State.

I’ve used this analogy in the past, but I really felt like opposing guards, prior to this game, were walking right through EJ’s apartment front door, heading to the fridge to make a sandwich, and then telling him to get off his own couch so they could have a place to eat and watch TV.

EJ was already playing pretty well, but after that dunk, EJ seemed like a totally different player. You could see it in his face and in his eyes. It was awesome to see! We may look back at that dunk as the direct reason that EJ had a great end to his season. I certainly hope so.

-One other tidbit on EJ! How about 0-0 from 3 point range? EJ completely “Impacted” this game and he did it without a single 3 point FG attempt. Standing Ovation Elijah Johnson! As one of your biggest critics on the season I am very proud of you tonight. Now that you got your confidence back, go get your shot back.

-How much do we love Travis Releford as fans? He is not great offensively, but damn he is efficient nonetheless. He had some big/crucial reverse lay-ups in this game. I was really hoping that OT 3 was going to go down so he could be the hero of the game.

I also, thought he got fouled on that drive at the end of the first OT. Instead, he became the hero defensively with some huge stops, especially the last defensive sequence against Brown. Great Job Relly! BTW, Relly has 825 career points after last night. Needs 175 more to become a 1000 point scorer. Go get it Relly!

cont'd

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I'd be a lot bigger on TRele after this game had he boxed out on Brown's FT miss that led to EJ fouling out. BMac basically doesn't box out when it comes to rebounding, fine, he's aggressive and like to go after the ball I've made peace with it. Releford on the other hand is a 5th year KU senior and doesn't remember to put a body on the shooter on a FT? 3rd graders understand somebody needs to do that, get on it! Most frustrating play of the game for me in a game with some awful passing and worse shooting. He was more assertive in this game than in many recent contests though.

Jack Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

You obviously know a bunch of really, really basketball savvy 3rd graders. Travis scores 18, is extremely aggressive offensively entire game, plays his usual superb defensive game > and you bi... about one play!!!! At least you finished your rant on a positive.

KUFan90 1 year, 10 months ago

Most frustrating play of the game for me was when Withey got the ball in the low post with under 2 mins to play and us up 2 points. He stepped through 2 defenders and found himself alone facing the basket and.....missed the unguarded standing still layup. Even worse, goal tending should have been called on the OSU player that stuck his hand in the net while the ball was still on the rim. I believe OSU came down and hit a 3 at that point to take a one point lead. A 5 point swing.

I have bald spots in my head right now where I pulled out big chunks of it on that play.

I completely agree with BigManU...horrible officiating in both directions.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Frustrating play for me was early in the game when Nash got down the floor early and a long pass gave him an easy dunk. Worst part, EJ had no play but gave him a push giving them a three point play and a stupid foul for EJ's first that cost him playing time in the first half and fouling out early. On the night that EJ was getting to and finishing in the paint any time he wanted.

I believe EJ got cheated out of two points near the end of the game when he did a KU shake on his player and got his shot "blocked". That shot had already reached its apex and should have been goal tending. The officials missed that as well as the basket interference on OSU earlier as mentioned previously.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

That was Okie State's first possession of the game after KU had 3 or 4 offensive rebounds. Yeah, I am still not sure what EJ was thinking there. It really could have been an intentional foul because EJ didn't make a play on the ball at all. That was just dumb and set a bad tone early.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

To be fair on the goal tend no call, it was questionable if it was. Watched it several times and saw where it could have gone either way.

The EJ foul at the beginning gave me a sick feeling like we're about to get blown out.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

For me, the most frustrating play of the game was any time McLemore touched the ball. Or didn't touch it when he should have.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

for me the most frustrating play of the game was anytime Tharpe took a three while I was screaming at the TV to get the ball to McLemore.

Jeremy Paul 1 year, 10 months ago

Releford is the most important guy on the team.

kufaninmo 1 year, 10 months ago

i second that motion. he's our x-factor in many ways.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

Well said about the officiating, BigMan. At least it was equally awful.

Here's a question for you (and I'm not sure how I would answer it): which was worse, the officiating or the announcing? If I had a dollar for every moronic comment made by one of the broadcasters ...

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll go with the announcing.

I about made wee-wee when whoever it was said that before the 3 game losing streak Kansas was DESTROYING (or whatever stupid word he used) their opponents. Really? Three of the five games prior to "the streak" were nasty, ugly wins by 4 or 5 points. And we had to rely on a 30' (or so) bank shot to take Iowa State to OT at Allen Fieldhouse.

Yeah - Destroying.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

yeah I felt like the commentary was pretty terrible for this game. What about the time time they practically started shouting about Forte's made three before it bricked off the iron?

And they provide ZERO tru commentary or analysis, intead they're really just giving the play by play. Guess what Bardo, you're on color commentary and everyone who's listening to you is watching the game on live TV, we don't need you to tell us that "Elijah Johnson drives by Marcus Smart on a cross-over to the right and scores on a driving layup."

Ok, my ranting is over.

Oh wait. Also I want to rant for just a second about how my DVR recording ended with 37 seconds left in the first overtime and I didn't get to watch the rest of the game!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

and one more thing! They made much much MUCH too big a deal of Young's "forearm shiver" to Marcus Smart. Yes, Kevin Young fouled Marcus Smart, but Young wasn't trying to knock Smart down or hurt the kids shoulder. 185 LB young was just bracing for contact from 225 LB Smart and Smart went down and happened to hurt his shoulder.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 10 months ago

That's why for all basketball games I have mine record for 90 minutes extra.

Rock Chalk 1 year, 10 months ago

And turn to that channel so if/when DVD stops recording you're positioned on the right channel. Then you can rewind or ff, if you need to.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 10 months ago

One of our biggest wins all season so far. Obviously, there's still room for improvement (TOs, # of assists, BMac's missing shots, etc). But winning against an athletic team like OSU at Iba is amazing. Our seniors proved that they earned this. There were so many driving & lay-ups - a very good sign that our offense has developed!

Now, let's move on to the next on our revenge list. TCU - you better say your prayer! Rock Chalk!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't mind BMAC missing shots, I mind him not TAKING shots.

Jim Dickerson 1 year, 10 months ago

OSU was playing pretty damn good defense on him. I did not see him getting many open looks. His ball handling skills do not make him a good candidate for driving the lane. His contribution last nite was occupying the OSU defense so that EJ had more room to drive. Ugly but apparenly it worked.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 10 months ago

The Kevin Young tribute to Eddie Murphy and his favorite SNL skits.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

-Withey is simply Withey. His ineffectiveness offensively at times doesn’t really faze me anymore. I have come to be so comfortable with Withey on the floor that it really disappoints me when Self takes him out simply because of his defense.

It’s amazing. I did yell a couple words I can’t repeat when he missed that bunny late in regulation that resulted in Smart tying the game in regulation with the 3 in transition. Withey didn’t miss one FT down the stretch in regulation or the two OT’s I believe. Either way, he was “Clutch” at the line down the stretch and pretty much won the game for the Jayhawks.

-B-Mac-All I am going to say is that the kid is going to be great one day, but B-Mac was a non-factor in this game. Since everybody wants to talk about the NBA with this kid, I think he hurt his draft stock tonight. Not much, but a little. He’s got some work to do with his ball handling. First time all season where I saw a kid that really didn’t want the ball in crunch time. He’ll get it eventually, but he did hide himself offensively down the stretch.

-Tharpe-One thing you can’t say about Tharpe is him being shy or scared. That kid has some “Stones”, I’ll tell ya that. What a shot! He may have missed everything last night, but the kid was absolutely fearless taking that last shot.

Even if he misses that last second shot, I am still here defending this kid simply because he was the one who stepped up to take the shot. That’s hard to do on a team full of seniors. Tharpe has had my respect for a while, but I like this kid more and more every game. Just cut down on your damn turnovers so I can defend you as the PG more.  That full court bounce pass to Perry Ellis was sweet! A shame Ellis couldn’t finish.

-KY-Nothing I can say that hasn’t already been said about KY all season. He has brain farts every now and then, but he certainly creates second chance opportunities. Kansas is lucky to have that guy on this squad this year.

-Traylor-I thought Traylor had an awesome game. He rebounded, had a great block, and had an awesome tip dunk. Had that one bad air-ball hook shot, but he provided a much needed 17 min that were very productive.

-Ellis-Just looks tentative out there. Thinking too much! Man, Tharpe had that awesome pass and Ellis got blocked and then lost it out of bounds. Had two really bad turnovers. Traylor definitely creeping into his minutes.

Huge Win Jayhawks! RCJH

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed on Traylor's performance and Naadir's near-assist to Perry. You know, they didn't replay that, but in real time it sure looked to me as if Perry got hacked pretty blatantly. Part of his problem this year, I think, has just been the age-old fact that freshmen don't get any respect from the zebras. With the way he goes to the hole, he ought to get more whistles than he does.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

As Jaybate would say, Perry Lacks Okie Extreme Muscle Ball. Perry isn't as good as Marcus Morris was as a Freshman, but they were both equally "Weak". Hudy will do wonders for Ellis.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

that Tharpe pass to Ellis was ridiculous. I couldn't even see the opening but he put it right in Ellis hands. Would have been a SC Top Ten if Ellis had finished in traffic, and he likely wouldn't have picked up the 'and 1'.

KULA 1 year, 10 months ago

Great to see Naadir rise to the challenge of leading the team when EJ left after his fifth (phantom) foul. The kid's a gamer, and this can only help build his confidence--not that he seems to need much help in that department.

okiedave 1 year, 10 months ago

1:15 a.m. and just rolled back into Tulsa from the great game. My perspective - OSU fans have class. Withey really bothered the fans and wanted him to foul out. A man had a heart attack about six rows down and paramedics continued to pump his chest for 15 minutes in the narrow row, but it did not look like he was going to make it -- it put the game into perspective.

actorman 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow, that's unbelievable! That must have been a horrifying sight to see.

It makes me think of Calvin Thompson's father having a heart attack and dying during his first game as a Jayhawk.

jbal32 1 year, 10 months ago

I personally think EJ won the game for KU. There for a little bit it seemed that nobody could guard him and he was good on defense as well. No 3 point attempts and several successful lane attacks makes me think that he is really smart and will murder opposing teams in the future. Also, it seems that Withey has hit another gear!!! Rebounding and scoring dirty has been his MO the last 3 games and has really helped KU win these game whether they are blowouts or close games such as this one. I feel this was only a close game because Bmac had an off night. If Ben is even average, KU wins by double digits in regulation.

bradh 1 year, 10 months ago

I think you could make a case for any of the starters plus Tharpe, winning the game for KU. B Mac would have the smallest case, but he realized he wasn't on and stopped shooting and continued to defend. EJ was extremely good, but I'd say it took a team effort and that the team won it.

Jack Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

Once again the Hawk's defensive effort resulted in a victory in what had to be the biggest game of this year > so far. Our Senior leadership and the Bill Self emphasis on the defensive end of the court is second to none in the league. EJ's play in these past three games > aggressively driving the ball inside, and scoring, is the EJ of old and bodes well for future games. A tough, tough gritty win in a huge game, in a difficult arena, against a really good basketball team. Great two-overtime win, Jayhawks.

Michael Luby 1 year, 10 months ago

Revenge is so very sweet sometimes :) HA!

Tophawk 1 year, 10 months ago

tough gritty road win! great win Hawks!!!! get home safely!!!

Michael Sillman 1 year, 10 months ago

Hopefully at the end of the season, we'll be able to apply Admiral Yamamoto's words regarding the Pearl Harbor attack to the losing streak that started with OSU:

I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve.

Great win, Jayhawks, in a very tough venue.

One more really hard place to win coming up next week: Hilton

hawkmaster 1 year, 10 months ago

Bottom line, KU wins....Strange game of momentum shifts, KU wins when I actually thought OSU had the momentum.

Sorry, but I thought that was a LOT of bad offense and not good D a lot of the time. Can we trade our PG roster plus a few others for Marcus Smart, I fantasize if Self would have landed Marcus Smart. We win in spite of our PGs.

I'm not going to give NT a lot of credit for the win, because any of his missed 6 3-pointers (0 for 6) could have also won it! NT with 4 TOs and 3 assists and getting outplayed by his OSU guard counterparts is not worthy of celebration, sometimes better to be lucky than good.

What the heck was going on with BMac, he was afraid of the ball, spent most of his time as the player farthest from the bucket in crunch time. Smart....injured, bad shooting night, actually wanted the ball and was the far better player last night. Well, his getting racked up near the end would have hampered any post-game flips!!

Good news, KU showed it can win without BMac, but I don't think it will many times. Did EJ finally get it, he did not shoot a 3-pointer and got to the bucket...what I like to see (although NT made up by shooting too many bad 3s). NT still dribbles/hogs the ball and it almost cost KU. KU's offense apparently can't be fixed, but Withey and Releford pulled them through.

diegohawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Naa makes some bad decisions but occasionally has a spectacular play. He made a couple huge shots last night of course and he also missed some big shots. Would like to see him abandon the 3 ball until he gets to the rack or penetrates and kicks for open shooters a few times. Same with EJ. They both can get around even the best of defenders (this was showcased last night). Need to focus on touching the paint, finishing at the rim and if it isn't there either kicking it out or dribbling it back out. This will most likely result in better, more open perimeter shots for BMAC and TREL which will also open the floor for JW to work his magic. I love KY and what he brings but still want to see PE get some of his mins as I truly believe this will open things up for JW eventually as well. I may even move PE to the 3 spot to spell TREL from time to time along w/ AW3. TREL is an awesome defender but would like to see him rested for a few more mins/ game.

kupopp 1 year, 10 months ago

Boone Pickens just got razzed on CNBC's Squawk Box about the game. He was not happy.

LMAO

Cameron Schienebeck 1 year, 10 months ago

Good to get the win and good Naadir made that shot but he continues to be one of the biggest momentum killers on the team. It seems whenever we get a quick 2 to go up a few points followed by a stop he comes back and launches a 3 withot a pass. He just doesn't have a pull up 3 in his game yet. That with some shaky ball handling and passes to the corner from the top of the keys leaves me nauseous to watch him handle the ball.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I do agree Tharpe had a very bad shot last night. KU just hit a two to go up 57-53, had a great defensive stop and Tharpe shoots a 3 pretty early in the shot-clock to try and go up 7. Instead, he misses, and Okie State got fouled in transition, I believe Forte, and he goes to the line for a 1-1 and gets the game back to 57-55. Huge momentum shift there.

diegohawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Massive momentum swing. I applaud the confidence he has to take those shots but would feel better about that position on our team if either him or EJ actually made a 3 ball with any consistency.

Lindsey Buscher 1 year, 10 months ago

aOSU doesn't deserve the league title, can't even sellout a game with first place on the line.

GreatJake 1 year, 10 months ago

I drove across Ok yesterday and listened to a sports station. The weather was bad in Ok in the morning with the storm and the radio was asking people who had tickets and were not going to travel to the game to call OSU stadium and tell the ticket office so someone else could use the tickets. So this could account for the empty seats.

Interesting on the radio, the OSU and a caller picked KU to win.

142466 1 year, 10 months ago

Four comments about this year's team and the state of NCAA BB. I follow both with interest but not nearly as closely as most of you. Please convince me that I'm wrong in my assertions. (1) Our big men, especially Withey, greatly miss the special coaching given them by former assistant, Danny Manning. This will probably prevent us from going deep into the NCAA tourney this year. Whether or not Self can somehow fill that coaching void may well determine whether he stays at Kansas for 12 to 18 more years and finishes as one of the top 10 NCAA BB coaches of all-time. (2) Several key players on this year's KU squad often fail to play with the intensity of prior years' teams. Especially in pursuing loose balls and contested rebounds. (3) "One & Dones" are bad for college BB, especially bad for player development and for fans' satisfaction in watching that development over a 4 year period. (4) Overall quality of play in NCAA BB is deteriorating rapidly. Too many early departures. After largely ignoring the NBA for several decades I now find myself watching mostly the pro league. It's the only venue remaining to watch BB that is not embarrasingly bad.

Say it ain't so.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Try watching the World Championships or Olympic basketball.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 10 months ago

1) No...I'm pretty sure that KY is way better than he was last year, Traylor is looking solid, Withey just blocked more shots than any other player in BXII history. 2) There were times when last year's team didn't play with intensity...Not sure if you noticed in all of the games of the tournament last year we were down big and came back in all but one. 3) Why? Having good players come to college, that historically didn't go to college can't be bad. Could you have imagined if Kobe, Lebron, or KG played a year in college. I think it would have aligned them with a college which would have been awesome. I'm sure pierce wade and duncan all hate the fact that they had to go to college (sarcasm). 4) College basketball plays defense and offense. Right now defense is winning. The other day I was watching the pro game and all five people were in the paint with two guards on the perimeter, nice Defense. Pros have to play man-to-man else they get an illegal defense call. Why can't you play good defense in the pros. Down low, college players have more bumping then the NBA.

So before you yell at me, I do think the NBA has the best of the best of College and NBA players are amazing. I just like the team sport more than the individual sport.

jellydonut13 1 year, 10 months ago

You can play zone in the NBA. You just can't camp in the lane unless you're guarding someone.

John Boyle 1 year, 10 months ago

NBA not embarrassingly bad? It is all one on one and geared for superstars. No team play (which is what true basketball is). The elite players get away with murder and no one can get within ten feet of them or a foul is called. Sure they have the greatest athletes of any of the major sports but they don't play real basketball.

monkeehawkSL8 1 year, 10 months ago

The nba is a shell of what it use to be. Benches filled with OAD's drafted for potentiel, instead of defense they play NOfense. I quit watching right after the "I'll take my talents to..." State of the nba address. PTI's M.Wilbon talked about how "sophisticated" nba players were. That was the last time I watched PTI. Have I told you that I don't have much respect for the nba?

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't stand the NBA game anymore. I'll watch the Rockets if there's not anything good on TV and that's about it, but I don't even remember the last time I watched a game start to finish on TV. If MJ played in todays NBA, he would average 40 a game with the way the game is played today.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey, Rio...check out Naadir's comments in this article!!!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

jaybate, what do you think about the job we did on Smart? The kid kept on a'comin', but Man o Man is he ever gonna limp to the whirlpool today!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Smart is just a stud. I thought defensively Kansas did a really good job. I thought the refs bailed him out multiple times, but the refs bailed KU out multiple times as well.

As big a game as this was, I think Ford and Self together can send tape to the Big 12 office pointing out had bad that crew was last night. No consistency whatsoever! Guys getting murdered in the paint and then touch fouls on shots. Mind-Boggling.

ancient_hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

It was ugly on both ends of the floor all night. I alternated between hair-pulling and sighs of relief because we stole one.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

That was my biggest complaint in this game. Not only did they "bail out" Smart, but looked as though the call should've gone THE OTHER WAY. A lot of offensive fouls called on us with him at the line. I remember one break where he went coast-to-coast and we get called for the foul.....he's going 1-on-3 and had already LOST THE BALL....yet we get called for the foul?!?!??! I remember him throwing an elbow to Johnson's cheek - foul called on EJ (no body contact). I think they called Withey for a block - no body contact and all ball. No player was more protected in that game than Smart!!!! Should've had a line very similar to McLemore's. Of course, Smart at least attacked though.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe captures the true essence of this game. Sad and boring

oldalum 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow. I can't believe you said any of that.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

"Fearless"Jayhawk? Fear-less Jayhawk? F.E.A.R.L.E.S.S.Jayhawk? Fearless? Fearless? Fear......Less? Hmmmm! Fearless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Funny how Vegas had the spread at 1.5 and it was a one point game all throughout, tied up at each break.

Funny how every time Ford called time and drew up a play his team just stood around dribbling and then took low percentage shots.

Funny how when Bill drew up plays out of timeouts the Hawks scored.

Funny how we just came of three losses in a row and then grind one out with Oklahoma State and we already have fans proclaiming the big 12 championship and writing off TCU, Iowa St, WVa, Tech and Baylor. There is plenty of season left fellas, no time to let up now and think that it's a easy ride from here.

Funny how little McLemore can move without the ball and get open.

Funny how bad the refs were.

Funny how Bob Davis sounds so sad calling good plays by the other team.

Funny what EJ can do when he plays within himself.

Funny what Travis can do when he tries.

Funny how BIll has figured out how to win games with the Team going 1/11 from 3 and missing Free throws. Those stats costs us against UNI and VCU, etc.

Funny how I'm so happy about this win that everything is funny.

Funny RockChalk

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

One Correction: 1/11 doesn't cost us against UNI or VCU. Going 6-23 and 2-21 from behind the arc and hoisting up 12 and 10 more 3 point attempts loses to UNI and VCU.

The team didn't miss FT's down the stretch (Outside of EJ), but those two missed FT's by EJ were almost catastrophic.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Cogburn isn't it Funny that you don't find the same things funny that I find funny, even when I'm having fun with the word funny and not being funny at all in a literal funny sense.

Funny like your sense of seriousness and funny like your avatar?

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 10 months ago

Big man, You can see some of this stuff on TV, but watching it live with seats close to the action leave no doubt. The refs these days just ignore most of the battles going on in the paint and then call a tricky tack foul away from the ball. It is as if the refs think nobody can see the war, but a touch out in the open is forbidden.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

For the most part I don't pay attention to that stuff. However, last night it was noticeably bad for both squads. I mean, Ford and Self definitely have some griping if they wanted to go to the Big 12 officials

Navyjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

I may now be at risk for a divorce, because I was screaming at the TV all night. I haven't had so many different emotions since the comeback against the Mizzou kitty cats last year in the Phog.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought we were a half step quicker most all of the game. But fatigue really showed late & in OT's for the pokes. Also I was glad to see the energizer bunny, (KY) back in the game late. Was beginning to think he was done when Self kept playing small with about 4 to go. Rele played 48 minutes & was still flying around at the end to keep that ball in play. I guess this is why I love this game so much, to see the almost unbelievable efforts that these young men can give. Was on the edge of the chair from about 5 min in reg on. We must be adrenaline junkies to sit through hours of tv like this. And as badly as Tharpe played all night, he was just as spectacular at the end. When I watch a game alone, I don't talk out loud much at all, but some of the TO's he made had me yapping on several occaisions.These guys all stepped up to the level of a champion last night.Even Traylor played well in his 10 or so min. If we can stay on this type of roll through the rest of conference,maybe we can get back a #1 seed. They proved they can win with defense & getting to the rim without the ouside shots falling & their leading scorer held in check. Yes indeed, this is exactly why I love KU basketball.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Naadir is cold as the weather outside! He's got ice in his veins. That play at the end of the game was so clutch. And the look on his face in that pic above is priceless: "It's weird to not be in trouble right now, Coach!" I'm a huge fan of Tharpe and have been since he came to KU, but even I didn't expect him to be contributing so greatly this season. Naadir is going to do some great things at Kansas.

And the sky is the limit if he can shoot the ball with a little more accuracy (and stop throwing up random three-point shots before an offensive play is run...stop doing that! haha).

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 10 months ago

Before we start calling him Captain Clutch...let's recall the stupid turnover in the middle of the lane at the end of regulation.

Did he hit a huge shot in a critical time? Absolutely.

But be modest....no one here would have assumed him capable of that feat.

Regardless...big win; onto the next.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm a pretty modest guy. But even more than that, I'm an honest hombre as well. So trust me when I tell you that I have believed in Tharpe since I heard that he was coming to KU (I recall being one of the few when it was announced).

Do I think he's going to hit the game-winner every game? Nope.

Do I think he's capable of hitting more game-winners, this season, even? Of course I do! This is not the first time he's stepped up at the end of a game for KU this year (recall the clutch free throws he hit at the end of the game against KSU in Manhattan).

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think you have the right frame of mind, Cogburn. Did Tharpe take some bad shots? Yes, I can count 4 that he took last night that were not good decisions.

Did Tharpe have a couple bad turnovers? Yes, but that last turnover in the paint IMO was not a bad turnover. Yes, it may have looked bad and the result could have ended with a "L" for the Jayhawks had Smart made that last second shot, but think about that last sequence.

This was Tharpe's first "Big Time" moment. All of his teammates were deferring to him not at his request, but simply by the process of elimination because nobody wanted the ball in their hands at the end of the game. Did Tharpe fail in that one instance? Most wil say yes, but many players have failed in their first attempt. Kobe ring a bell.

With all that said, the missed shots, the supposedly bad turnover in the lane 5 min earlier, what does Tharpe do? He forgets everything calls the "Flat" again goes left again, spins back to his right and hits the go ahead bucket. That my friend is "Stones". Not many people can forget in instances like that, but good or bad, Tharpe has them and I like it.

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 10 months ago

The guys need to get into their hyperbaric chambers to recover from this slugfest. Good win. Now destroy TCU!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

Man I am here to tell you it is absolutely snowing to beat the band out here. It's exactly 100 ft from my kitchen window to the first cattle gate & I can barely see about 50 ft further to the first tree in the pasture. Has been doing this for hours now. When I listened to Gurley & Bill on post game radio last night, one of them said they would be 4-5 in the morning at best before they would get back home. Last night, as always, I remembered the tradgedies that have happened with athletic teams traveling in awful weather & whispered a litlle prayer when I heard that. Was only 21 years old when the Wichita State & Marshall U crashes took place. Seems to me they were only about a month apart. Plus has only been 2 yrs since the OSU women's crash & about 10 yrs prior for the men's crash. Makes i tall come to view with a greater perspective for sure, OSU has had more than their share of loss, so I'd hope that all the trash talkers could take this into consideration before displaying any poor sportsmanship & smackdowns. Tough teams, tough game, but that's all it really is.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, couldn't resist giving it back to a smart elec. My apologies.

William Weissbeck 1 year, 10 months ago

Beginning to look like a Big East game. Still too many TO's, FT% too low, and McLemore needs to get to the line.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 10 months ago

BMac definitely should have gone to the line at least twice in the first half.

MinorThreat 1 year, 10 months ago

IMO Self needs to draw up about 35 different plays getting McLemore open; jump-shots, lay-ups, alley-oops, 3's, whatever.

The dribble once, maybe twice then pass is only helping the opponent.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 10 months ago

No offense to OSU whom I admire a lot, but I did a flip in the living room after the game.

justinryman 1 year, 10 months ago

I think Self had to go to the refs before the first OT and say, "hey look they had 4 fouls in the second half until they tried to foul. We had over 10. Really? I know how much money Boone can throw around, so don't get caught up in it."

That is when OKst started getting called for their pushes and holds and grabs. The continually kept them in the game in the second half.

Now with that said, no ref will ever call a perfect game. No player will play a perfect game. No coach will coach perfect game. There were mistakes made by all last night that kept OSU close, bad shot selections. Not putting a body on someone. Turnovers. Missed FTs. Not having a team prepared for a press or traps or ....hold on here comes my announcer BS.

When OKst went to a zone they weren't playing a 2-3. Someone was always on Ben. It was a box and 1 and at times looked like a triangle and two. It wasn't morphing into man 2 man or a match-up zone.

Oh and Marcus Smart might be tough, but a warrior? how many times can you say warrior when thats not the mascot? Fortes jumper on the baseline when he duke flopped? They said there was all kinds of contact until the replay then they said he sold it. I knew right away he flopped like duke, and they were sold he got tackled.

It seems the B-teams of announcers at espn, like to take the lower ranked team and push for them that way if that team wins, they look smart. Well I got news for those two last night, aint nothing going to make them look smart. Every time KU fouled it was a good call. When OKst fouled it was questionable. They were bigger homers than Fran Fraschilla doing an OU game this year.

But hey KU over came and won this bad boy. Tough to be tied for 1st when you have beaten a team twice. Just gotta take care of biz and it will all work out.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

To Bardo's credit at least once he claimed that Smart initiated the contact and jumped INTO one of our defenders and got the call.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

All announcers love winners, like board rats who doubt a team that can't pull out a win under circumstances stacked against them. Makes them look better without saying, :I told you so." Sound a little familiar? This is Kansas huff, that's what they do!

Robert Brock 1 year, 10 months ago

McLemore is definitely not comfortable driving to the glass in traffic and heavily guarded. He will have to learn to do this in The League; for now, he is just a catch-and-shoot guy.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Needed to get out of town quickly because of the storm. Stillwater had no de-icing capabilities.

machinegun 1 year, 10 months ago

We have the best coach in the entire country. He's really fired up about his team. Go back and review the video. At the end of the game, watch Big Bill's reaction as BMac crosses half-court with the ball after Travis makes that unbelievable save. Big Bill wanted this one really bad!

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed it was a poorly officiated game as usual & the announcers were posing to give the love to OSU afterwards. They didn't think Kansas would pull it out. That makes it even more satisfying to be victorious. They get paid to talk & you're right about the zone defenses. Someone stayed on Ben the entire time. Great to pull out a W when your leading scorer is shutdown. Showed the hearts of champions, and it's not too much to expect anything less from a Kansas team. More coffee on the table Mable, time to go to the DVR for the reply!

John Boyle 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you dating my mother in law: Mable?????

MinorThreat 1 year, 10 months ago

I wish McLemore could have made the trip down to OK, we could have used him last night.

Kye Clark 1 year, 10 months ago

Hey Le'Bryan Nash: how'd you love playing us last night and showing why you picked OSU instead of KU? 3-10 with 3 reb, 4 TOs, 1 assist, 8 points. Yeah, you sure showed us. Love how even with Smart out you were still only the third best option on your team.

Choke on it punk.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

And most of his "good play" was in about the first 5 mins. or so.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 10 months ago

I haven't seen anyone mention Traylor yet, but he was our best player in the first half. He didn't play timid, brought in great controlled energy and pushed through when KY and Withey were in foul trouble. Also, it was good to see EJ back. I haven't seen a player break that many ankles in one game in a long time. He has been doing it all year, but the shots haven't been falling. Now they shots fell and it was a force. T Rel needs to drive more. He might be the best Lay uper? in the college ranks. He always perfectly places the ball on the back board. He was fantastic on offense yesterday. B Mac shot and missed, hey it happens. Withey got a few bogus fouls, but refs sucked on both sides. Esp in the OTs.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 10 months ago

I also liked how calmly & smoothly he knocked down his 2 FT's. I remember him struggling with a lot of those earlier on.

tical523 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe was not on last night with his shot but they were mostly just missed good looks, except for one three. He is the difference maker we need, if I was a coach I would empahisize to him to never pick up the dribble. He could be a Steve Nash /.Euro style PG and be very effective. Great looking shot, they will fall.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

coming down the stretch for the Big 12 title race I see KU potentially faultering at ISU, KSU losing at OSU, OSU losing at ISU, ISU losing at OU, and OU winning out.

KU and KSU end up tied for first at 14-4 OSU, and OU end up tied for 3rd at 13-5 ISU comes in fifth at 12-6.

I hope that KU wins out, because we could have 30 wins by the start of the NCAAs, but we'll have our hands full with ISU.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe's comment that a lot of people don't believe in him surprised me. I suspect he's confusing the typical comments made while someone is learning as meaning we don't think he can do the job. He has shown that he is coming along nicely and is going to be an outstanding player for KU. It just takes time. He's coming along nicely.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

He's playing great, IMO. I definitely appreciate Naadir’s confidence when he's on the floor. He has good handles, and he's not afraid to make a tough pass (like that one Ellis botched) or take a shot. Well, some of the shots he takes make me wonder what he's thinking, but he seems to expect them all to go in.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually, here's what I think goes through Naadir's head during the game:

“Yeah, baby. I’m finally off the bench. Have I taken a shot yet? No: Shoot the three."

"Am I leading a one-on-four fast break? Yes: Shoot the three."

"Have I passed the ball at least once during the possession? Yes: Shoot the three. No: Pass to Travis and when he passes it back then shoot the three."

"Is the shot clock at approximately :25 with a 2-3 point lead under 3:00 to play? Yes: Hey, I’m wide open, so take the shot!"

"Is everyone else standing around on offense? Yes: Dribble around until under :08 on the shot clock and jack the three!"

"Did I make my last shot attempt? Yes: I’m hot, take the three! No: I’m due, so take the three!"

"Did I get an assist on the last possession? Yes: take the quick three. No: Drive toward the basket and a) make a spectacular bounce pass to Young, b) lob to Jeff, or c) heave the ball at the backboard."

"Is the game on the line in the second overtime and I’m 1-10 for the game. Yes: drive the lane and make the game-winning shot.”

Carolyn Hunzicker 1 year, 10 months ago

WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THREE MINUTES DURING THE ENTIRE GAME AND TWO OT'S BEN MC LAMORE LOOKED TOTALLY LOST.....

ANOTHER YEAR IS WHAT HE NEEDS TO IMPROVE HIS DRIBBLE, SHOOTING WITH HIS LEFT HAND AND LEARNING HOW TO PLAY DEFENSE.. AND, HE ALWAYS GOES TO THE RIGHT ALWAYS

ANOTHER YEAR BEN, OR GO SET ON THE BENCH WITH TR AND THE OTHERS

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

HULK SAY MACELMOR NEED MORE LIKE BRUCE BANNER

davehawkSWK 1 year, 10 months ago

In many of the comments there have been numerous references to the officials and their lack of continuity on the floor. As a former official, I agree with the references to the bad officiating. Many officials do play to the crowd as they often forget that they are NOT the primary participants in the game, but they do love the limelight associated with officiating the big games. That being said I feel that it is time for the fans to inundate the NCAA rules committee with their feelings concerning the downhill slide of officiating quality. My feelings:

OFFICIALS

1) Get away from the NBA mentality whereby it is ok to wrestle someone in the low-post and/or body block an opponent to keep that person from the rim.

2) College hoops has progressed in the world picture to the point that many foreign athletes want to come to the U.S.A. to play ball. Please stop the trend of the players bringing the accepted practice of the more physical the game, the better the game.

3) I do not care whether the guard on the dribble is from KU or from the other colleges that play the 'Hawks. If the guard initiates the contact, CALL THE PLAYER CONTROL FOUL!. No guard should be allowed to take away the defensive effort by jumping into the defender and getting the foul called on a great defender. Mr. Dick (emphasis on Dick) Vitale extolled the wonderful guard play on offense where the guard would forearm the defender and then step back to shoot after creating distance by getting the defender out play. In his diatribe "Great play, baby, creating space for the shot!" Of course his comments were most often during the Duke or NC games.

Basketball is a wonderful sport and needs to be officiated so that there is balance on both sides of the ball and both ends of the court.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 10 months ago

Great call ref, absolutely nothin but net! We've been watching Pierre Jackson for a couple of years get away with the push off that I've never seen called. Also another peeve is guards that pancake the ball on the dribble. Tell you what, you have to be a man to play in the paint now-like a wide receiver going over the middle dang near. I've met Vitale, nice personable guy, but most all announcers will agree with whatever the call or non call, as not to initiate a conflict for themselves or their employer, but people think a comment like that is credible because the media considers them experts. Coach Knight is one guy I enjoy listening to, as hisvast game knowledge is usually spot on.The speed of the contest is incredible to witness at floor levl without the advantage of replay, so it's understood how difficult it is too call a game, But swish again ref, it has to even itself out in the end, letting the kids settle the contest on the floor & not the officials.

WETSUhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Agree, most guards initiate the contact to get the call. More player control fouls need to be called. However if the BXII calls these according to the rules, and other conference officials call ESPN ball,come tournament time BXII teams lose. Every year ESPN commentators scream for some rule changes. Officials need to all call the rules as written, and we would all be fine.

I learned officiating from a few ex NBA and college guys. The best advise I got from each of them was "anticipate the play, not the call". Too many times I see officials blowing the whistle immediately, meaning they anticipated the call. In their defense, selling the call has become the norm and a slight delay in a whistle is believed that the official does not know their job.

AZHawk72 1 year, 10 months ago

Okay, Wetsuhawk, the captions:

Of course, Letterman style;

1. We'll show them we can read in Oklahoma.
  2. Hey, what are words doing on this side--I never signed-on for reading anything.
  3. What do I do with this when we lose?
  4. Man, I can't wait to put this up in the trailer park.
  5. Geez, I didn't know Weeden was 29--at least I only had four senior years.
  6. Wow, nice pictures. I need a date this weekend--ya' wanna go to Arkansas?
  7. Gosh, our football recruiting class is full of jucos--are we THAT close to Kansas?
  8. Hey, dude, do I have the right side out?
  9. This paper thing was a great idea--my wife thinks I'm at a bar.
  10. So, this is what soft core porn looks like--what a clever way to get us to hold these up.

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

Personally, I was never too concerned even with such a back-and-forth game and the many whistles. I had kind of thought we would play close and win, and when it was close I just believed this team would pull it out as they have so many times before.

Big Time Plays:

• Jamari Put-Back Dunk

• BMac's come from nowhere Put-Back Dunk

• Withey drawin fouls & hittin free throws

• BMac's rainbow 3

• Releford, just all the time

• EJ Attackin the Rack after the Whistle

• EJ gettin layups

• Guards controllin the ball after EJ got bounced

• Tharpe's Floater (of course)

and, perhaps the weirdest and most important play of the game

• McLemore slipping on the floor in the lane, such that when Smart drove he was obstructed and slowed a little, and Releford got set for the solid charge that fouled Smart out. I'm not sure that would have happened like that without Ben lying in the paint.

What a great win.