Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rockets, Kings swap Aldrich, Robinson; Morris twins reunited in Phoenix

— The Houston Rockets have reached separate agreements on trades that will send Kansas University product Cole Aldrich, Patrick Patterson and Toney Douglas to Sacramento and ex-Jayhawk Marcus Morris to Phoenix, a person familiar with the situation said Wednesday.

The Rockets will receive former KU standout Thomas Robinson, the No. 5 pick in last year's draft, Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt from the Kings, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced and was still pending league approval.

In the other deal, the person said the Rockets will receive a future second-round pick from the Suns in exchange for Morris, who will join his twin older brother, Markieff, on the Phoenix roster.

"If I was to be traded, that's where I would want to go," Marcus Morris said outside the Rockets' locker room. "I think Houston knew that. That's all I did was talk about my brother and how happy I was to play with him. I'm excited. That's all I can say."

Patterson, Aldrich and Douglas walked out of the Toyota Center just as Houston was starting its game against Oklahoma City, on the eve of the trading deadline. The Rockets came into the game holding the No. 8 spot in the Western Conference and the moves were unexpected.

The short-handed Rockets heard the news only 20 minutes before tipoff.

Sacramento had high hopes for the 6-10 Robinson, but he's disappointed so far, averaging only 4.8 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16 minutes per game. His most notable NBA moment might have come when he elbowed Detroit's Jonas Jerebko in the neck during a game in November. Robinson was ejected and suspended two games by the NBA.

Kings general manager Geoff Petrie had hinted that he'd only make minor moves before the trade deadline because of the pending purchase agreement that could move the franchise to Seattle next season.

Marcus Morris had played in all but one of Houston's games this season, making 17 starts. He was averaging 8.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game. The Suns took Markieff with the 13th pick in 2011 draft and Marcus was right behind him again, going to Houston at No. 14.

Morris was all smiles about the deal on Wednesday night, even though the Suns entered their game against Golden State with the worst record in the West (18-36).

"It's my first trade," Morris said. "All I kept hearing was, it's a business. It happens. I mean, it does happen. I'm excited to see where my career can go from here."

Suns coach Lindsey Hunter wouldn't talk about the deal specifically, but acknowledged that Phoenix is building for the future.

"We're trying to get better," he said. "We're trying to build a foundation of something that we hope will last."

Comments

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 1 month ago

I would bet that Cole is biding his time until Minnesota takes him. When he was still at KU, he threw an opening pitch for a Royals game when they were playing the Twins. That probably wasn't a coincidence. I really think he's a hometown boy, who would like nothing more than to make the folks back home proud. Joe Mauer is the same way. And who knows. The move to Seattle could be a good opportunity for the Kings and any trades they make.

juke4jay 1 year, 1 month ago

As a Houstonian, I'm thrilled that T-Rob will be playing for my Rockets. This trade is a win-win for all involved. Houston is building a heckova team here, and has a bright future. Its a great spot for T-Rob to blossum in the NBA. RCJH!

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 1 month ago

This might seem like a positive for Markieff but the fact is, with his shooting percentage, I suspect that Marcus cuts meaningfully into his minutes. Don't get me wrong, they'll still be happier just by being on the same team together, but if you think there are enough minutes for Scola, Gortag, Beasley, and both Morris brothers, you're mistaken. If anyone will lose from this (in terms of minutes), I'd put my money on it being Beasley and Markieff. The Morris Bros simply share a common game of being more a 3/4 guy than a true PF. Neither rebounds that well, both shoot quite a few 3's, and neither is an excellent NBA defender (NBA standards). I think it's great they'll be together but their combined minutes will be reduced.

As for Cole, this sucks. I was really hoping he could thrive in Houston with only Asik as the other true center. Shame. Now he's behind Cousins.

The real opportunity here has to be TRob's. With Patterson, Cole, and Marcus all gone, this should absolutely give him some major minutes. AND it removes him from the Cousins factor, who I don't believe was a good influence on him (i.e. car crash, etc). He needs to work on not fouling but I hope this turns into a great change for him in Houston.

Rock Chalk.

Chris1955 1 year, 1 month ago

Starting a couple of years ago, my wife worked with the Houston Rockets ticket office to create what she calls the Jayhawk package. You guessed it, our Rocket games package revolves around teams with former KU players on them.

We're thrilled that TRob is now a Rocket.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

I bet Angel Morris feels like she's in heaven.

She's the happiest mom on the planet right now.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 1 month ago

Glad to see Houston will continue to have at least one former Jayhawk. Maybe I should look to see when Phoenix comes to Houston. That would be a game that I could get interested in.

hotrodm 1 year, 1 month ago

The Morris twins will thrive with the Sun's. The twins always played better when both were on the court.

Michael Luby 1 year, 1 month ago

I feel bad for Cole, getting tossed around the League like Drew Gooden but he isnt nearly as talented. Wont make it nearly as long in the League either. maybe he should take a plane overseas and join Kaun and Russell and Langford and Collins. He wouldnt make as much $$ but it would be tax free!

jbal32 1 year, 1 month ago

Great for T-Rob!!!!!!!! Kings are a garbage organization anyway.

woowoowoo01 1 year, 1 month ago

With Patrick Patterson leaving and no real backup at power forward position, I think Thomas could actually get significant playing time in Houston.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 1 month ago

Who knows, but it could be a win for all parties. Maybe more playing time for Cole in Sacto (soon to be Seattle), a reunion for the Morris twins, and for T-Rob, the chance to be a contributor on a pretty decent team with a bright future.

trustyourSelf 1 year, 1 month ago

I'm amazed at how soon the twins became reunited in the NBA. Good for them!