Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jayhawks plan payback, not backflips, at Oklahoma State

Kansas head coach Bill Self walks off the court following the Jayhawks' 85-80 loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Visions of Marcus Smart’s acrobatic cartwheel and backflip on the center-court Jayhawk logo have been dancing in the heads of Kansas University’s basketball players the past few weeks, ever since OSU’s 85-80 win over KU on Feb. 2 in Allen Fieldhouse.

“If their coach allowed that, then that’s up to them. If we go and get a victory there, you won’t see us doing backflips or flips on their court. We are just going to walk out in style,” KU senior guard Travis Releford said Tuesday, before today’s much-anticipated rematch against the Cowboys.

“We’ve got a few guys who can definitely flip and do backflips. If we win, you definitely won’t see any backflips or anything like that,” Releford added.

Tip for today’s game between the No. 9-ranked Jayhawks (21-4, 9-3 Big 12) and No. 14-rated Cowboys (19-5, 9-3) is 8 p.m., in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“From a competitive standpoint, we did find that sort of disrespectful,” said KU junior forward Justin Wesley. “At the end of the day, that was a good team. They did deserve the win. Hopefully we can keep the backflips from coming this time.”

Freshman point guard Smart couldn’t contain his glee after scoring 25 points, grabbing nine rebounds and totaling five steals in the victory on KU’s home court.

“Now they have something that’s really going to motivate them to come in here,” Smart told the Oklahoman. “But like I said, it was in the emotion of the moment, in the flow and it just happened. I can’t take it back now. As a player and competitor, if I saw that, that would definitely get me fired up.”

A replay of Smart’s backflip was shown on OSU’s pre-game video prior to last Saturday’s victory over Oklahoma in Gallagher-Iba.

“On the plane coming down here, in the locker room before the game,” OSU coach Travis Ford told the Oklahoman, referring to the number of times he figures KU coach Bill Self will show the backflip to his players as a motivational tactic.

“Once you throw the ball up, (it) doesn’t matter,” Ford added. “There were certain things that OU did down (in Norman in victory over OSU earlier this season) that we used (in rematch). But like I told our guys, once you throw that ball up, you’ve got to play.”

Self hasn’t admitted to showing any tape of Smart’s backflip, indicating clips have been available on TV and YouTube. Of course, he won’t discourage any revenge-type motive for a game that will keep the winner tied for first in the Big 12 standings with Kansas State; the loser dropping to third.

“We need a payback type attitude going down there,” Self said. “They’re good. Before the season, I said I liked their roster better than anybody in the league. That hasn’t changed.”

KU backup point guard Naadir Tharpe said a key will be containing OSU’s guards. Markel Brown exploded for 28 points with two rebounds in the first meeting. He hit seven of 10 threes.

“We’ve got to hit somebody every single time. Even the guards have to go to the glass,” Tharpe said. “It was a majority of their guards getting extra rebounds as well as their bigs. It’s something we’ve been working on at practice, hitting each other every day so we can steal that extra possession.

“Everybody has that loss on their shoulders,” he added. “We want to get it off.”

Lotta views: KU’s Harlem Shake video had over 1,600,000 views on YouTube as of Tuesday night.

“I didn’t know it’d blow up like that,” said Wesley, the organizer of the video. “I think we were all happy how it turned out. Everybody looked silly. I was more excited for Drew (Andrew White III) and Perry (Ellis). They are the quiet ones on the team. They looked like they had a lot of fun with it.”

Of Self’s role writing the words, Harlem Shake on the chalkboard to open the video, Wesley said: “We told him it was an educational video. When he showed up he said, ‘I’m not doing this.’ We said, ‘You can have a serious part but you’ve got to be in it.’ He was cool doing it.”

Self joked: “I’m sure that will get nominated for many awards on YouTube awards. I’d think I’d get best supporting actor for the huge role I played. I’m just glad I spelled the two words right.”

About OSU: Junior guard Markel Brown leads OSU in scoring at 15.8 points per game. He averages 17.3 ppg in league play. Smart leads the Big 12 with 2.9 steals per game to go with his 15.0 ppg scoring average. Sophomore Le’Bryan Nash averages 13.3 points and 4.3 rebounds. Brown had 22 points in the first half of OSU’s win over KU in Allen.

“He came off a lot of screens,” Releford said, noting, “I didn’t start off on him. I was guarding someone else. He got going early. By the time I got on him he had a rhythm and was already doing well. Hopefully we’ll come out this game and make him uncomfortable and not have him get open looks.”

The series: KU leads the overall series, 106-54. KU has won four of the past five meetings and five of seven. KU is 32-31 vs. OSU in Gallagher-Iba Arena. Since 1997, the start of the Big 12, the series is 4-4 in Stillwater meetings. Also since the inception of the Big 12, KU is 16-7 versus OSU (12-5 in regular-season play and 4-2 in the Big 12 Championship). Self is 10-8 all-time against his alma mater, including 9-5 while at KU. OSU’s Travis Ford is 2-5 versus Kansas.

Recruiting: Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who visited KU last weekend, tells Eric Bossi of Rivals.com he will pick a school “between now and the middle of March.”

Randle, who has a final list of KU, Florida, Kentucky, N.C. State and Texas, said he had a great time on his visit to KU.

“It was my fourth time there, but I feel like I know a lot more now,” Randle told Bossi. “I really got to see everything that goes into the program. Like when they get a big-time player, everything that goes into developing that player on the court, in the weight room. It’s top notch for real.”

Randle said Self told him he fits the system.

“The spots he put them in at around 15 feet or catching in the post or isolated on the side, he thinks I can excel in all those areas,” Randle said. “He feels what I can do differently than any other player that he has had is get the ball off the glass and bring it up. If I don’t get the rebound, he feels I should be the first person up the floor and get to my sweet spot. As long as I defend and rebound, he’ll let me play with as much freedom as I want.”

Comments

diegohawk 1 year, 9 months ago

OSU

I like our chances whether this a possession type of game or up tempo. But personally with the scoring funk we have been under, I would like to see the score in the mid to high 70s for us. I don't think either team gets to 85 this time around. Defensive intensity while being assignment sound, rebounds, transition scoring and some timely shot making would be on my wishlist.

Randle

Would be a great piece. He has guard skills like Perry but seems to already play like a man. Bull in a China Shop attacking of the basket. Would love to see his post toughness/attack mentality matched with Selden's perimeter version of the same. May be struggles with youth but by this time next year nobody will want to be looking at us on their schedule. Like the team for next year already but would really love to add Julius to the mix. Seems like he would be a great fit for the team.

Mick Allen 1 year, 9 months ago

Guard skills like Perry? Have you seen him play?

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

For the first time, I feel confident about our chances at landing Randle. It seems that he and Self really hit it off over the weekend and Julius got to go home with some clarity. Here's to Randle doing what is best for him, and me hoping that it means choosing the Jayhawks.

TOTALLY DISAGREE.

Whoever posted that didn't include his closing comments.

"Where ever I end up I want to go somewhere where I'll be happy & have fun." -

would seem to point STRONGLY to him MOST considering NCSU (where his good friend Rodney Purvis is) or UK (where he's been able to hobnob w/ Beyonce & Jay-Z due to Calipari "connections").

Brak 1 year, 9 months ago

Yea we get it, you've only posted this 5 million times, you don't have to post anymore for us all to know how big of a troll you are. I mean it's like the thought that Randle could be happy and have fun in Lawrence didn't even cross your mind. Did you ever think that maybe winning would be what he considers fun and if that is the case I think we are a lock.

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah Bcuz where is UK headed this year for the post season again? Oh yah! NIT B!@#CH

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Not a troll.....been a KU fan since i knew I was going to school there 23 years ago!!!! Also, rooted for them in '88 though.

JUST BEING A REALIST.

Other than Selby & X. Henry have we EVER landed a recruit that was ranked inside of the top 8 or so?

Bulkmania 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes. Julian Wright was 8 Darrell Aurthur was 9 Sherron was 12. To be fair all players ranked 8 over the years have been much better players than the ones ranked 9-12. (See Julian Wright and Darrell Aurthur's careers)

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 9 months ago

I didn't see his Mother saying that her goal was to have Julius 'have fun.' She is a big part of this process.

madamhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I have a feeling...

-We escape from Stillwater with a 1 point win.

-The coaching staff along with the team managers make their own Harlem Shake video and it ends up getting 2x the amount of hits.

-Julius officially becomes a Jayhawk in two weeks.

I have a feeling, that tonight's gonna be a good night!!!

I don't.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those games that we "choke" away.

I think it'll be more like our MSU game where we led most of the game but saw it all collapse in about the final 2 mins.

It wouldn't surprise me if we had as big of a lead as 10-12 pts. I think OU did on Sat. But I FULLY expect them to come back with a massive run to end the game.

And I also REALLY suspect that we're not getting Wiggins or Randle. Look for a final addition to be something more like 3-Star PF Junior Etou.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe he's "reverse psychology-ing" himself. He's hoping the opposite of what he says and thinks will happen.

Like, today I'm saying " I hope it snows a FOOT so I can spend several hours shoveling my driveway ".

Bob Zielinski 1 year, 9 months ago

I think he might pee in his own cheerios just to have something to be negative about.

jaymar74 1 year, 9 months ago

I can understand why you are so down on the Kansas basketball program because for the past 30 years we have been all promise with no results.

Golly, people!!!!

We just got over a 3-game losing streak, win two big on the road and suddenly there's nothing wrong with this team?!?!??!!

Dude!!!! We're only 4-4 in Stillwater!!! And we BARELY beat them last year when they were LOUSY then.

And this isn't an "afraid of us" OSU team. This is a team that already took care of business beating us on the road!!!!

hawkdiek 1 year, 9 months ago

On the road? Obviously not a KU fan or you would have said "beat us at home". Troll away please.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

1 Point win or 20 Point win. Just win. That's all that matters. I don't care if its ugly or the best game we have played all year. Just win.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think the score will be nearly that close. Man for man, we have the better team and are motivated both by the loss at home and the desire to win another conference championship.

I think we win by 10 or more. Of course, that's what I predicted in the first meeting.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope Randle is comfortable with the program now; I don't think Self is alone in anticipating how well he fits into his system. He's got an opportunity to be really special and make great strides as a basketball player at KU. I just don't see the same opportunities at any of those other schools. WCS and Wiltjer are probably back at UK along with a number of other players; Gottfried is just not a proven coach in my opinion; nobody really considers Barnes to be great at developing talent; UF also has a stacked front court with Yuguete likely to return after this injury, Walker coming in and Harris on the squad next year. He could go another way, but none makes as much sense as KU.

I think we're gonna see the most intense KU team we've seen all year in Stillwater. I would think OSU will be a slight favorite, so this is a rare opportunity for KU to pull an upset. If they don't it's not the end of the world, but probably the end of the Big12 title streak.

Tophawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Good Luck Hawks in Stillwater! I've given up predicting our chances landing some of these high star recruits like Randle though..Seems everytime we think KU is about to land them they head off to Kentucky,Duke,Carolina it seems...Would love to get him though for sure...

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Dang, I wish I had come up with the "life size statue of Travis Ford for your dashboard".

Hilarious!

And true.

hawkdiek 1 year, 9 months ago

You're killin me...That is some funny carp!

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 9 months ago

I've already downloaded Randy Newman's "Short People" to my MP3 player for pregame, have you?

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't forget about getting Salmonella at Eskimo Joe's.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 9 months ago

Only thing we ever did there that was fun besides a KU victory, was get a cold one at Eskimo Joes, then get the heck outta town. Other than that there was absolutely nothing at all there, period. Still trying to figure how they get all the talent for their FB & BB teams. Reckon Uncle Boonie is peering around a corner somewhere?

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

By far, your funniest post ever. Images of Lil' Trav. LOL all the way down to my small intestines!

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

What about watching Travis Ford make an igloo he can live in out of a single ice cube at Eskimo Joe's?

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

Love the list but I think you should have gone with "Things Not to Do in Stillwater". If for no other reason than to provide the safety advisory for first-time visitors.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 9 months ago

Seems like old times, that go back to the big ,8 having the Cowboys as a rival again.

Last yeast at Iba.->

KANSTUCKY 1 year, 9 months ago

Or come check out Travis Ford at a Menard's grand opening here in KY signing UK gear. At least he wasn't charging 50 bucks a pop like Crapalari does. Dude.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"As long as I defend and rebound, he’ll let me play with as much freedom as I want.” --JRand

:-D

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

I had copied that quote to remark on it here! I laughed out loud when I read that. I was thinking, defending and rebounding is 80% of your freedom, son!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Should say, "defend and rebound and don't turn it over, he'll let me play with as much freedom as I want."

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh, I get it. Self has recruited someone named Freedom to play with Big Julie. :-)

leonard 1 year, 9 months ago

If you think Brown and Smart will torch KU's backcourt for another 53 pts...if you think Brown will hit 7-10 triples...if you think Smart will collar 8 offensive rebounds...then the easy play is to put your money on OSU.

My money's on the Jayhawks.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Problems with this thinking: Not like other Cowboys like L.Nash & P.Forte couldn't step up. If I recall Forte started something like 1-8 in that game last time!!!! That's not going to happen again either. Nash is pretty hot his last few games.

jaymar74 1 year, 9 months ago

How do we ever beat anyone that is any good

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

We don't. Don't you remember we got crushed by Ohio State on the road earlier this year?

leonard 1 year, 9 months ago

"Nash is pretty hot his last few games." -- khuff80

Nope...he was hot in just the last game...going 9-18 with 26 pts.

The three games prior to that...averaged 10 pts. on a combined 9-27 shooting.

Ryan Knuth 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe he just meant he is hot, like Kate Upton hot, and he has been attracted to him the last few games.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

The key to tonights Victory is not letting off the gas once its complete. Big stretch of the season right now if we want to hang 9 straight. Cannot afford a big victory and subsequent let down.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

They got some good soundbites from Releford and Wesley for this piece. I like that Smart also indicated that he knew the flip would be used as motivation.

Interesting that they're quoting the interview on Randle that KHuff's been huffing about the past couple days, yet they leave out the now infamous parting shot.

My take: Randle saw the KU team on a weekend that everyone on the team was having fun. He witnessed the "Harlem Shake", the gameday atmosphere and the thrill of a big-time victory. My guess is that he saw the team having a ton of fun, and if he hit it off with the team and could see himself fitting in with some of the returnees next year then maybe he decides that KU is a place that he will be happy and have fun. Unfortunately his former teammate Z. Peters didn't get a fair shake to be happy and have fun, that plays against us. I think that we have as good a shot at Randle as anyone.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

"He witnessed the "Harlem Shake", the gameday atmosphere and the thrill of a big-time victory."

Oh, come on...none of that stuff is fun! Kids don't think about that when picking where to go to school! It's only where he "might" meet Jay Z on one occasion. That's what matters!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't get me wrong - I don't think we're in the bottom few of the 6 he was considering.....just doesn't seem to quite fit with what he said at the end. I think he ends up at N.C. State. I think we're likely 2nd or 3rd in his pecking order.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

my comment about "a fair shake" was intended more for his concussions/bad breaks. I don't think that Self or the program in any way forced him out or anything like that. He had his chance, but things didn't work out. Some things in life aren't fair. I, like most KU fans, have sympathy for Peters and wish that he hadn't encountered such bad luck (some say he brought it on himself by playing football, but I disagree. An elbow to the top of the head or to the jaw in basketball can cause a concussion just as severe as a hit in HS football.)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

plasticjHawk: You're right, he could get a concussion in basketball just as severe. But the point is that football is a much greater risk for severe injury, including concussions. You can die falling down the steps, but playing in traffic on the highway is a much greater risk. Not exactly the same, but kind of.

From youth sports through the pros, football concussions are rampant, but basketball concussions are of much less frequency and really an exception. I posted at the time it was announced that Peters was playing football that it was idiotic in my humble opinion .. if he was my kid, no way. Not with what was in front of him at KU. If he was going to play Juco ball at Neosho County? Ok. But he had a full ride to KU.

But Peterswas/ is not my kid. His family, I'm sure, made the decision with their eyes open and understanding of the risk. It's their choice .. the enjoyment of his senior high school football season vs. the risk. It turned out to be a bad gamble (an assumption that they might do things differently knowing the result). I love football, but it is a huge risk .. and a much greater risk, which is really the point.

No doubt in my mind that he'd be playing over Traylor right now -- given what I saw on the Europe telecasts and other reports. And with Ellis' struggles, you never know there either.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

Didn't he get two more concussions here playing basketball? One after he had started wearing a helmet at practice. Maybe he's someone who is just unfortunate enough to be especially susceptible.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Time for KU's seniors to set the tone and B-Mac to have that takeover killer instinct. It's time for B-Mac to separate himself from KU's seniors and establish himself as the "Lead Dog" on the court.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Khuff80, they say that dingleberries roll downhill. You appear to be on a fine roll this morning.

jaymar74 1 year, 9 months ago

One comforting thought for tonight's game is that it is Self vs Ford

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Julius Randle could be the "Biggest Impact" recruit since Danny Manning. Sure, Kansas had Josh Selby (Ranked #1), and Xavier Henry (Brief time at #1), but Julius Randle is SF/PF "Big" that is versatile like Danny Manning. He is Darrell Arthur on steroids.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

"Darrell Arthur on steroids" except for the part about steroids... because Julius Randle on steroids would be like Dwight Howard, and that's just absurd.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm talking his overall game! Who wants to be Dwight Howard except for the lady department?

Ryan Knuth 1 year, 9 months ago

I would enjoy having the money that he has. Oh and playing in the NBA.

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

I dunno man, Shady was pretty darn good. Maybe in different ways but still a serious baller.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

slayr .. meant to tell you how much I've enjoyed your posts over the last few weeks. I think you're right. This past weekend could be persuasive.

Randle's head may have been somewhere else, may have been leaning to glitz of UK, but I really think he's got a lot to think about. I've posted this before, but Dave Telep at ESPN says Randle to KU. And the guy has a pretty good track record on predictions. He's everywhere on the recruiting scene. With five teams really in contention (OU note really), my completely arbitrary odds -- UK 3/1, Fla. 4/1, KU 4/1, NCState 6/1, Texas 9/1, Oklahoma 50/1.

Making anyone but Kentucky the favorite might not be wise.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the links. I was just wanting to win before reading the first article. Now I want to crush them. This is the quote:

“If we can get the win, we could be in first place with Kansas State, so it’s going to be a big game,” Nash said. “I love playing Kansas, Bill Self and them. They recruited me, so I love playing against them and showing them why I chose this school over them.”

I hope we show him he made the wrong choice.

Sam Constance 1 year, 9 months ago

So, I can only surmise from his comments that he chose OSU because he didn't want to play in a national title game and because he prefers to play with a less-bright spotlight upon him.

The funny thing is, even if they win, he made the wrong choice.

Brad Farha 1 year, 9 months ago

Now this is prime bulletin board material. Dang! If our guys are not motivated tonight, I don't know what could possibly get them going.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, our cheerleaders do 20 of them a game. Well, 10.

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

KU has done everything it can to land Julius Randle; now he has to size everything up and make the best decision he can for himself. If KU gets him - great! If not - the program endures and Randle has a quick stop somewhere else on the way to The League.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Warning: I am in a prediction funk. I picked KU over Tayhoss by 1.

KU by 10.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

That was hilarious. As I watched the game in Allen I kept thinking, please don't let Jaybate be in Vegas right now...if he's gambling he may need a ride home!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Regarding Julius.

1] He now knows he can have a HUGE role in next year's line up.

2] Kansas is a lot closer to home than South Carolina, Florida or Kentucky and Austin is way too close.

3] The current KU "Dead Zone", the 10'-15' jumper would become the Julius Launching Pad.

4] Who would you rather play in front of ..Olivia Wilde or Ashley Judd?

5] His mom liked the KU students best.

6] He comes to Lawrence as a OAD, Perry Ellis redshirts next year, it's win win for all!!

7] At UK, he's one of the French Fries....at KU, he's the straw that stirs the drink.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Regarding No. 7] - at least he woudln't be seen as a "One Man Show" with No. 12 - 14 depending on who you ask McD's AA Wayne Selden on board as well. Also with a likely JR. starting PG in Tharpe.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 9 months ago

Before I agreed or disagreed with you about Embiid, I would like to see more about Embiid's year in Florida. There is simply no google information on his year that I can find. I wouldn't count Embiid out of a starting position next year, although you have to be a pretty special freshman to start in Self's lineup.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Perry Ellis won't red-shirt. We may actually have a really good big man rotation next year if Randle commits.

Randle, Ellis, Traylor, Lucas. Embiid is a question mark, I expect that he'll likely be a situational type player by mid to late season next year after Self giving him a shot early to evaluate his game-performance. Wesley will be back as a foul-trouble/give some guys a breather/end of the half/mop-up player.

But I really think that we need all four of Randle, Ellis, Traylor, Lucas eligible next year. Besides Ellis is due for a HUGE jump after his first full off-season at KU.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

No. 6 won't happen. Ellis and Randle on the floor together gives Bill Self his most potent high-low combination ever. The twins were very good at running the high-low, but I think Ellis and Randle could be even better because both are threats to hit the outside shot and both can put on the floor if necessary which Markieff was never very good at doing.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Ok, LeBryan....why did you choose OSU? To play in front of like 4,000 fans most games?!?!?!

I mean I could understand in during nonconf. gms. if they played someone like Jacksonville State or even to some degree when they host like Texas Tech.

But I saw an about 40% full arena when they hosted Iowa State.....WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?!?!?!?! That's just AWFUL fan / student support!!!

Ryan Knuth 1 year, 9 months ago

If memory serves me correctly, I also believe that Nash is somehow related to Byron Eaton, which I think is one of the main reasons he chose OSU.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe he didn't want to "wait" & thought that he should come in and right away start over T.Rob!!!! :) LMAO!!!!

GortHawker 1 year, 9 months ago

Most important game of the year comming up tonite people, B12 Championship could be on the line, "Go Hawks" BMc goes for 30, " YA BABY "

Sally Presson 1 year, 9 months ago

Khuff88, what's with you, get up on the wrong side of the KU band wagon. Come on 88 don't be so negative, KU fans are positive and we don't need your crappy attitude. KU will win tonight, they won't let them get us the second time.

Julius, you won't reget becoming a jayhawk, you were surrounded by NBA players at the game Saturday night, so follow in their footsteps and pick KU!!! You'll be a star

Rock Chalk

okiedave 1 year, 9 months ago

I've got tickets for the game tonight and it's snowin' like crazy down here. This game will be one of the rare sellouts at OSU cows**t arena thanks to the Jayhawks reputation. Boone Pickens did not have to purchase 4,000 thousand tickets to give away to students to try to fill the arena like he did for OSU's game with Gonzaga.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

T. Boone Pickens mother's maiden name was Hisnose.

tis4tim 1 year, 9 months ago

A yeoman's effort on the glass and at the free throw line and we win by double digits.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 9 months ago

22 point Victory tonight. Kansas 74 OSU 52. Nobody at OSU will flip over those numbers.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd venture to say that the word " Elementary " is in that school's name somewhere.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

downthestretchicome's post disappeared, but he has been proclaiming that ksu will win the big 12 ever since the loss to OU, even after we swept them.

he writes like a typical ksu troll, but what confuses me is that his avatar looks like bo pelini. And I don't think that any Nebraska fan would promote ksu. But I could be wrong.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Dude! I AM a KU fan, but some of you sound TOTALLY unrealistic on here today.

Just like 8 or 9 days ago EVERYONE On here was acting like the sky was falling.

Now suddenly noone thinks that we can lose a game and that for only like the SECOND TIME EVER, we're going to land a top 2-3 recruit.

Sorry, to be the voice of REASON. But BEFORE the season even began this was the ONE game nonconference OR conference that I was SURE was going to be a loss.

Now, with us ALREADY having lost to them at home, I rethought on the matter. I think if we had NOT lost that game, then I think we were likely to get annhilated tonight. Instead, I think this could be a game that were amped for, get up for, lead by double-digits only to have it fritter away. Look up Self's all-time record while at KU for games in Oklahoma.... (his home state)....rather pedestrian.

SORRY, to be the voice of reason & logic today & not get swept up as if this was the '96/'97 1 2OT loss all season long Jayhawks. We're not; we're flawed and I'm not DOWN on us nor WANT us to lose, but I'll AT LEAST acknowledge that it's MORE LIKELY we lose tonight than win!!!!

Having said that - I think it's actually even MORE likely that we lose in Ames than Stillwater, so if we lose tonight (especially if it's not even close), it's almost like those last two home games didn't even happen.

And everyone boasts about our big guys in the NBA, but have any gone on to really do anything?!?!?! I don't think ANY even start!!!!! Kind of hard to produce that many supposedly of NBA talent, but yet ALL come off the bench. I mean our only actual starter is Pierce (Hinrich at times whe he's healthy)....and they're both from the Roy Williams' era.

Is there ANYTHING false about what I'm saying?

And you might think I'm sandbagging it - not wanting this game or something......I want this more than any other conference game. I was at the OU loss and I live in Tulsa. So - yeah, i want this one bad!!!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

It seems that you're having intermittent caps-lock problems sir.......

PREDICTION TIME:

at Oklahoma State 62, Kansas 58: The Cowboys and Jayhawks are tied for second place in the Big 12 standings, a half-game behind Kansas State, and OSU already has defeated Kansas this season at Allen Fieldhouse. Gallagher-Iba Arena will be as loud as it has been all season. This could be the game of the year in the Big 12.

*****Nope, wasn't me. This from Jason King on ESPN (literally just posted) who seems to typically go the Jayhawks' way.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

Does Chalmers start? I'm not sure, but Rush may have started before injuring his knee. I think one of the Morris twins start, but if not, has been playing significant minutes. Thomas is a rookie but is coming on lately and will continue to improve.

KU has plenty of quality talent in the NBA. They are about to place at least two more players there as well.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, Chalmers does start and I did forget.

Marcus & Markieff have started before but neither is currently starting. I would argue that Arthur SHOULD BE starting. Rush was being given a chance before he got hurt but Barnes was already stealing it from him before he got hurt. Aldrich is actually seeing LESS time as a Rocket than he saw as a Thunder where he was potentially going to be seeing good backup mins. this year before the trade occurred. Yet Houston acts as if they didn't even want him in the trade with the way they don't use him.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

My comment gets removed for calling khuff out for being the liar that he is!?!? Since when is calling a "spade" a "spade" something that gets removed. khuff, DO SOME RESEARCH! It's amazing what you can learn by taking a couple of minutes to do some fact checking. Last time I checked, being on an NBA roster means a player has NBA talent. According the following statement, "Kind of hard to produce that many supposedly of NBA talent, but yet ALL come off the bench," there are only 150 players with NBA talent because according to your logic, a player only has NBA talent if he starts which is as flawed as flawed can get. There are only 3 schools I believe with more active players in the NBA than KU's 14 and those are UK, Duke, and UNC and all 3 of those schools have more OAD's than KU which means that KU has done a much better job of developing lesser players into NBA talent.

And secondly, Cole Aldrich is actually seeing MORE time as a Rocket than as a member of the Thunder. His 30 appearances this year are more than either of his first two seasons in OKC and is averaging more minutes this year than he did last year. Please stop trying to tell people 2+2=5 when it doesn't.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 9 months ago

You bring up very uncomfortable topics here, like atheism at St. Peters. I think this board prefers overconfident statements to criticism of any kind. The thing is, our guard play has been a real question, and while I think we can win, they're going to have to play with more poise than they have in a month.

The other thing that offers hope is that OSU will be hard pressed to shoot the ball they way they did at AFH. However, they're a tough team in a tough place. I'm really excited about this game!

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey dwnthestretchicome - the chance of KU ending up in the NIT this year is about as great as our chance of moving home games back into the basement of old Snow Hall.

Phoghorn 1 year, 9 months ago

My favorite basketball rivalry tonight!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

You really ought to think twice about hurling slanderous accusations against our former players. Xavier is clearly proud to be a Jayhawk, as evidenced by his visits back to the Fieldhouse. He deserves better than this kind of nastiness.

I just looked at the box score vs. UNI. Xavier went 3 for 6 from the field, with 8 rebounds, 2 steals, and 1 turnover. That's from a freshman, compared to senior Sherron going 4-15 with 5 turnovers and sophomore Tyshawn going 0 for 6. Were they "sandbagging" too?

ParisHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Piling on: you're one of the posters I wait to read, but I have never liked your anti-Xavier remarks. Give it a rest - a long rest.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Xavier was not the problem with that team. If anybody was a chemistry killer on that team, it was his brother CJ even though CJ barely played. I lived in the Towers that year and CJ just came across a totally arrogant A-hole while Xavier was a pretty cool person who didn't have half the ego that CJ did. Xavier's biggest flaw was the same as Brandon Rush's and Ben McLemore's and being too passive and deferring to his teammates too much when he should've been the one taking over games on a more frequent basis.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh, really. It's a "fact" that Xavier "sand-bagged against injury"? Prove it, or else apologize for this continued public slander.

I never said Xavier left any kind of "legacy" at KU, nor did I compare his career to Sherron's. Don't put words in my mouth. I merely pointed out that it is utterly ludicrous to blame him for the UNI loss, and that it's downright despicable to make unfounded, nasty slurs against him or any of our players. You should be ashamed.

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

This game will show if we are ready for the big time. I have a feeling that we are. As long as we play with intensity and stay in attack mode we are hard to guard. I have said it before, and I will say it again. When Travis Releford scores 10 or more points we are undefeated. Travis is one of the best finishers at the basket in KU History. When Travis is scoring it usually means we are getting transition buckets, and creating turnovers. We are the better team. Time to show it for forty minutes. Withey must rebound, and block or alter shots. Kevin must bring the energy. EJ must facilitate and get everyone involved, take the open jumper, shoot with confidence, because everyone will be crashing the boards. If EJ goes to the hole like he did against Texas, then we are in good shape. Tharpe needs to get in the lane and create, in addition to popping the open Jump Shot. Ben McLemore needs to score and score some more. We must contain Brown and Smart. As long as they don't go off, we should be good to go! Above anything, "Just Win"!

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

It seems the writers are trying to make a mountain out of a backflip molehill. None of us here are commenting on it, so apparently it's not being taken as some affront to our hallowed tradition/arena/mystique.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

i thought " the flip " was pretty cool. I hope all of our opponents do it - throughout the course of the entire game.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed. The kid was elated for what just happened...I don't blame him at all. If it takes a backflip to motivate us, we've got bigger problems.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

It really bothered me. Not in a "how dare he" kind of way but in a "why is an opposing player celebrating in Allen Fieldhouse" kind of way. Watching a guy wearing another jersey doing backflips across the massive Jayhawk made me a little to my stomach. I can't stop replaying the image in my head. I want to see him looking sad in his own house tonight when the final whistle blows.

And for the record, Smart is one of my favorite players in the country this year. I have nothing against him whatsoever. I just don't like seeing the other team leave Allen in a happy mood.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 9 months ago

Back flip? Who cares? The kid is 18 years old, and what he did that day is pretty rare indeed. You can't take that stuff personally. He was excited. These are kids.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks for the life lesson, Kilgore. I will be sure to give it all the attention it deserves. What was it you said again?.

I got my wish last night! Smart played hard but in the end he was staring wistfully at the court, probably wishing he had been able to shoot above 20%. Thank you, ESPN, for showing that close-up. It was beautiful.

okiedave 1 year, 9 months ago

Ford is painfully aware he was not OSU's first choice to replace Sutton. There is nothing more satisfying to Ford than beating Self's Jayhawks.

Brad Farha 1 year, 9 months ago

heya Ralster --- I've seen you make a few comments about Coach Ford making some negative comments about Coach Self. I'm out of the loop here -- what did he say?

dhinkansas 1 year, 9 months ago

Forget the backflip...the kid was excited. I hope the team can make it back safely from Stillwater tonight with this storm bearing down on the entire region.

VaJay 1 year, 9 months ago

I just found this quote from the Stillwater paper:

What a d**k! I'm glad we didn't get him. I hope we kick their butts tonight.

Kye Clark 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah what a tool. What has he shown us? That he liked missing the NCAA tourney last year while we were in the National Championship game? That for as highly touted as he was coming out of high school he is at BEST the 3rd best option on offense and has had a wildly inconsistent sophomore season and is in no way NBA material yet? Way to show us Le'Bryan

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

Nash makes it sound like we spurned him. Don't think that was the case.

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

Nash is an idiot. The only reason he chose OSU over Kansas is because he wouldn't have been a starter. Last year, he would have played behind Withey, TRob, and KY, and this year would have had to fight for minutes with Ellis just for the 7th man.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

If Nash had come to KU, KY wouldn't be on the roster. Missing out on Nash is one of the big reasons why Self was looking for some JuCo transfer that could play some minutes at the 4 immediately and ended up taking Young.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Agree with Texashawk! Nash might not have started, but he would have gotten sig. playing time battling with Relly for the spot.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

The key to this game as with every game is Elijah. Can he break out and excell, will he have a meltdown that the team can overcome, will he have a meltdown that the team can't overcome?

Which Jayhawk team, will show up tonight.....the team that dismantled Texas or the team that dismantled itself against TCU?????

I choose to believe the former because I can't stand the thought of thinking about the latter!!!

Kansas 65 OSU 61

jayhawkrider 1 year, 9 months ago

We live in Plano just down the street from Prestonwood and have followed Julius for a while through people who have played him or watched his games. My son follows him on Twitter....this guy has potential to have recruiting baggage due to his "connections" with LeBron and everyone else. Let Calipari have him. He's a one-and-done UK type.

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 9 months ago

And Wiggins owned him at a camp last year. . .

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

KU has played in front of hostile crowds this year.

In Manhattan that crowd was into it for about the first 8 minutes then the play of KU took them right out of it.

I believe KU was playing "not to lose" ball when they went on their 3 game slide. It was starting to show for about a week week and half before that. You combine that with the start of OKst 7 game winning streak it was just a bad snowball.

KU was playing not to lose at home. Not to lose the conference title. Not to lose as compared to playing to win. The past two games they have played to win and if they play like that, they will take care of the crowd, they will take care of the athleticism that OKst possess and KU will win.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

ok justinryman - i'm pretty sure you stole those thoughts right out of my head - so you are exactly right. "Not to lose" thinking/playing will get your butt kicked every time. If these guys finally have their heads screwed on right, and are having fun and playing to win - ain't many people going to be able to hang with them.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

i'm not a "twitter-er", but if that's true, maybe he'd get looked at if he was not throwing the ball away every time he touches it.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not on twitter, but I've heard him saying crap along those lines for awhile now and I hope it's just some stupid Missouri or KSU troll trying to stir up trouble. I've also been of the opinion for awhile though that unless Bill Self thinks Adams would play ahead of Connor Frankamp next year, then Adams would likely transfer out and head to a PAC 12 or WCC school unless he was willing to redshirt.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

why are any of our players tweeting hours before the biggest road game of the season?

Bill Self shouldn't have to enact Turner Gill Law and lock up everyone's cell phones the day before a game.

Rob Bedford III 1 year, 9 months ago

None of my tweets were ever directed toward KU but it seems everytime I tweet it so happens that's who I'm talking bout thats not rite#AtAll

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Watching the MU/FL and IN/MSU game last night was frustrating in that it was killing me to have ot pull for Missouri BUT the more teams that lose in front of us [last night Mich.St and Florida] the better off for us.

Lost in all the excitement was the facf that Saturday's win was #290 for Bill Self at Kansas. Boys and girls, that's an average of 29 victories per season for TEN SEASONS!!! Also, 10 straight NCAA berths and upper half or conference crowns.

Hasn't Puke, the TarHoles, Consucky, Syra-excuse and many other schools all had at least one down season in the last 10 years??

Chris Shaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Did I just read that, Oakville? You rooted for Mizzou? I am disappointed! Yes, I am shaking my head and avoiding eye contact.

As Chris Rock once famously said, "I would never hit a woman, but I sure would shake the hell ($#R#) out of one"! I want to shake you right now, Oakville!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm with Oakville. I've pulled for Mizzou many times in the past if, and only if, it was in KU's best interest -- for instance, if they could act as a spoiler and knock off Texas or whichever team might be neck-and-neck with Kansas in the conference race. In this case, I was glad to see them beat Florida because KU will need all the help it can get this year to secure at least a 2 or 3 seed.

I mean, do you really hate Mizzou more than you love Kansas? If Mizzou winning a particular game helps Kansas in any way, I say go Tigers.

Janet Olin 1 year, 9 months ago

Muck Fiz-zoo. Now and in all eternity. Amen.

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago