Monday, February 18, 2013

KU’s Bill Self won’t revisit flippin’ OSU loss

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self didn’t take the bait Saturday when asked by a media member if, in coming days, he’d show his players tape of Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart performing a backflip during a celebration after the Cowboys’ 85-80 victory over the Jayhawks on Feb. 2 in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Was there a backflip? That’s already been shown many times (on TV),” Self, KU’s coach, said with a smile after Saturday’s 73-47 home win over Texas.

“I’ll be honest: I thought that was as athletic as Ben’s dunk,” Self added of Ben McLemore’s 360-degree spin slam versus Texas.

While not wanting to make Wednesday’s 8 p.m. rematch against OSU at Gallagher-Iba Arena a grudge match against any one player, Self also realizes his team needs no extra motivation. Wednesday’s game is for a share of first place.

KU, the No. 9-rated team in the country in the current AP poll, enters 9-3 in Big 12 play and 21-4 overall. No. 14-rated OSU is 9-3, 19-5.

“The stakes are probably as high as they have been since my first or second year here when coach (Eddie) Sutton was (OSU) coach,” Self said. “We went there and (lost 80-60) and finished second my first year. They won the league and had a terrific team and went to the Final Four.

“The next year we ended up sharing it with Oklahoma. We had to beat Oklahoma State in our building in an unbelievable game (an 81-79 win) when they had all those players returning. We’ve been down there when it (atmosphere) has been good. I’d anticipate a sellout and anticipate Gallagher rocking. When it is rocking, it’s as good as about any place. We’ll have to bring great focus, and, beyond focusing as a team, we’ll have to execute as well. I’m sure it will be as good as it’s been in a long time and should be. They are playing for the highest of stakes, and this is a huge game with conference implications.”

Self plays down the fact KU is making a trip to his alma mater, where he has a 2-3 record as KU coach.

“It means something to me but doesn’t mean anything to anybody else,” Self said. “I never use that with my team as motivation. That would be something I’d have done nine or 10 years ago. It’s a big game for one reason, because of the league race. Another reason from our players’ standpoint is they already beat us once, (this is) the rematch. It’s much easier to have a rematch at home than on the road. We’ve lost at home before and had to go win at K-State (to split with Wildcats). I think it’s good our guys get challenged like that. We don’t have a team that plays great all the time, but we have a team when we do play like we are capable, we can play great. It will take a great effort to go to Stillwater and win.”

OSU coach Travis Ford, whose Cowboys have won seven straight games, realizes it is tough to sweep a team of KU’s caliber.

“I think any time you play somebody for the second time, it’s always a great challenge when you won the first game, whoever it may be,” Ford said. “They have some things they may want to change and do differently. Whether you play Kansas first, second, third, fourth time, it’s always difficult. Kansas is always good. No matter what happens in the past, it’s always a great challenge to play against Kansas, as well as so many teams in this league.”

Kansas State grabbed a half-game lead over KU and OSU on Monday night by beating West Virginia. The Wildcats are 10-3.

Withey honored: KU center Jeff Withey on Monday was named co-Big 12 player of the week with Kansas State’s Angel Rodriguez. Withey averaged 16.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game as the Jayhawks recorded victories over KSU and Texas. He shot 47.6 percent from the field and made 80 percent of his free throws while blocking seven shots and recording six steals. Withey has been player of the week two times this season.

Mom impressed: Julius Randle, a 6-foot-9 senior forward from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, completed his visit to KU on Monday. His mom, Carolyn, told USA Today: “Kansas fans were the best. They’re the loudest and the best.” Randle is also considering Texas, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina State and Oklahoma.

Comments

Thomas Michaud 6 years, 4 months ago

Stillwater is a tough place to play no matter the year and I expect a tough game against the Cowboys -- but believe the 'Hawks can come out on top if they focus on D and don't make any lazy passes to allow the Cowboys to get dunks and get the energy of the crowd going.

Great to hear that Mrs. Randle was impressed with the atmosphere of the Phog -- it's always a good sign when mom like what she sees and hears about a prospectives school!

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Stillwater is a tough place to play if you're KU. If you're any other team, there will only be about 7,500 fans show up.

Kent Wells 6 years, 3 months ago

Let me just say that I've been to several games there and it may be small, but it makes up for it with the fact it knows how to use it. I mean, ummmmm, never mind. Its a nice little gym and they have a ton of national championship banners in the rafters.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm not knocking OSU - in fact, I have a lot of respect for their program. But every time I watch a home game of theirs on TV, I am AMAZED at how many empty seats there are. I just don't get it.

KUbsee69 6 years, 3 months ago

"a ton of national championship banners" ... uh ... two.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Cross country, Wrestling, Golf, Baseball.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 3 months ago

....jarts, tiddle winks, bull riding....the list goes on and on!!

John Randall 6 years, 3 months ago

Most of those NC banners are for wrestling and gymnastics – at least the ones since 1950. KU's three are more recent than that.

Scott MacWilliams 6 years, 3 months ago

This will be a tough one all the way through. Hawks need to bring their A++ game for sure, and be jumping from 20:00 on to 0:00. Twice.
Take the crowd out of it, step on their throats, and don't let them breathe. Simple as that!! o yeah, and Rock Chalk!!

Joe Joseph 6 years, 3 months ago

Someone please explain to me how Kansas State continues to win basketball games...

jhox 6 years, 3 months ago

...and a heck of a point guard in Rodriguez.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 3 months ago

malodor knocks the opposing offense on it's heals. Especially close to the basket.

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

When Brucey has to ride his own horsie, it will buck him off, kick him in the head, stomp him into a mud puddle and then stomp the mud puddle dry.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks guys. Totally a rhetorical question!

s6u6r6f 6 years, 3 months ago

Julius Randle, come on aboard. Our family can be yours. And gentlemen, please, D up, hit your free throws, and crush these raggedy-assed cowboys. Overwhelm them with tenacity and exuberance. TCB, and have some fun while you do. Bring joy to the land. Rock chalk..

texashawk10 6 years, 3 months ago

If an OAD won NPOY or Final Four MOP, their jersey absolutely would get hung up at AFH.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 3 months ago

Kansas played poorly and Okie St played well and hit their shots when it counted most. State seemed to get all those 'lucky bounces' too. The positive takeaway was that Kansas outscored them in the second half. I think they will win the game in Stillwater if Travis plays D on Smart instead of Brown. EJ will have to man up on Markel Brown. And the game needs to be started by forcing it every possession down low, inside out. Get at least one of their bigs in foul trouble by the first half.

Somebody suggested putting McLemore on Brown or Smart on a thread the other day. That's probably not the best idea if we want to keep our most elite scorers legs fresh.

This is the first of four games in 9 days. The hawks need to expend as little energy as possible in this one. Considering the athletes on OKSt....that's just not going to happen, though.

I was at the Texas game Saturday and noticed a few things there.... The team needs a lot of improvement on their screens. I didn't notice this on TV but live its very evident that strong, wide-based screens are not being set and on top of that, they don't seem to be waiting long enough on the screens to fully develop, nor are they taking the right angles to effectivey use the screen. This could be just the Texas game.

I was in the fieldhouse two hours before the game, and McLemore was already out on the floor shooting. Really really impressed with his work ethic.

Seeing how hard Ben is working on his game in his free time, it prompted me to wonder if Elijah adequately used his time this offseason to transition to the PG spot. Other than the Eurotrip, does anybody know if EJ was able to put any work in? I know he had the knee surgery. I noticed his three misses (from 3) in the fieldhouse on Saturday were all off the left side of the rim. Rewatching the OkieState game last night, I also noticed all of his longer range shots are missing off the left of the rim. I thought shooters don't usually miss left or right, they only miss long or short? Am I mistaken?

Anybody here know that Chalmers didn't get along with Self so much that he was going to transfer his Freshmen year? I didn't realize that. He talked about it a little during his jersey retirement ceremony. It makes me wonder what the highschool recruits' perception is of Self. Sounds like a hard ass who will squeeze every ounce of effort out of you, and pushing all of your buttons along the way to motivate you. The simple fact is, not everybody has thick skin to handle that. Not everybody wants to go from being the hottest thing around to being treated like you are replaceable. I'm not disagreeing with Self's philosophy--I actually agree with it--but can see how it might scare some kids off.

A couple prognostications.... KU 72---OKSt. 68....Elijah is going to get back on track in Stillwater

Our transfer at the end of the season will be Rio.

JHawk74 6 years, 3 months ago

Rio is not going to transfer next year. He has a chance to be starting next year for the Kansas Jayhawks. Players will transfer if they see not having any chance to get playing time. Rio will get playing time next year. Self doesn't like to play freshman if he doesn't have too. This year he doesn't have to play any true freshman more than a few minutes per game. McLemore is not a true freshman (2nd year in the program). Self may start one of our freshman next year because we lack upper classman but I don't think he will want too. He would rather have Tharpe, Rio and White starting next year at the guard positions.

Sam Constance 6 years, 3 months ago

Please tell me you are kidding about Rio having a chance to start next year.

He will definitely get his playing time, and I agree with you that transferring isn't likely, but he has shown no inkling that he belongs as the starting PG for the Kansas Jayhawks. Especially with the improvements Naadir has been making over the last few games.

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

He will have the CHANCE to start, as in if he improves to the point that he is the better option, then he will start. Do I think he will between now and then? No, but Tharpe doesn't have so much equity built up that he plays over Adams no matter what. Adams would be wise to practice his butt off all summer, because he will at the very least have the option to play as much as Tharpe is playing right now and I can't think that this wouldn't be enough for him.

With the way he has played in limited opportunities, he can't be thinking that he deserves more than that. He isn't going to transfer. There is no reason to.

Sam Constance 6 years, 3 months ago

Well, I'm not only accounting for Naadir's seniority or "equity". I'm accounting for all of it--his equity, the way he looks on the floor, etc...

I really don't think there is a realistic chance to start, because I simply don't think he has the skills to get SO much better over the next 8 months to completely surpass Naadir by so much that Self is willing to overlook Tharpe's extended time in his system.

I agree that being allowed to assume Tharpe's role for this year's team on next year's team would be plenty of PT and would keep him from transferring.

Boouk 6 years, 3 months ago

He won't even be in the rotation next year if he can't make a shot beyond 15 feet, which he hasn't shown the ability to do in games so far this season.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 3 months ago

We'll only see the triangle and 2 if we're down by multiple possessions in the second half and can't get stops.

The cliche is that good shooters are either short or long, not left or right because their shooting arm is very much square to the basket. Elijah has good form, so as long as he's set and not rushed his shot shouldn't miss left or right. I've noticed this year that most of his misses are long, it seems like it's because he often rushes to get his shot off. So if you've noticed that he's missing to the left, watch and see if his feet are set and if his shooting arm is square to the basket (hand directly above elbow, and elbow to shoulder directly at the hoop).

If these elite recruits want to play in the NBA then they better man up and learn how to take Self's tough love.

I doubt that Rio will transfer. I think he will stick it out for the opportunity to make a mark here. He will be an excellent combo guard here. I think that by the time he leaves KU he has skills very similar to Chalmers'. His handling, shooting, and decision making will come around.

ccarp 6 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like Carolyn Kyles would make a great Jayhawk mom too!

Joe Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

Is it possible for Carolyn to have lunch with Angel?

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 3 months ago

Is Angel still in Lawrence? She fulfilled her promise to Thomas' mom, so thought she might have left when he did.

clevelandjayhawker 6 years, 3 months ago

That okie state game was great, 06? Lucas played a great game but we hit some clutch shots down the stretch. I was in the nose bleed seats, but that is a game I will nevre forget. Thank you Jayhawks and thank you AFH.

Mallory Rempp 6 years, 3 months ago

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say Texas might have been crossed off Randle's list as of Saturday night..

Thifty 6 years, 3 months ago

Let's hope UK is too after getting demolished by Tennessee, which proves further that coach Cal isn't the coach UK fans think he is, all he can do is recruit players but can't get them to play well even when nearly all of them are 5 stars, I don't think anyone except Elijah on KU's is a five star

John Randall 6 years, 3 months ago

As soon as a player puts on a college uniform, recruiting service ★s are history.

Scott Smetana 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm worried about a double dip recession when the 3's aren't falling. I hope Tharpe plays 25+ minutes.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Ooh, I like this: double dip recession.

But didn't we shoot threes at only 38% or so the last game?

edmondjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Extra motivation...there's an article in The Oklahoman this morning about the famous or should I say infamous Marcus Smart backflip on the floor at AFH. Apparently it is the last clip that O-State shows on their intro video before tipoff. Very class-less move by Smart in my opinion. HCBS is trying to downplay it but it was mentioned in the article that it has been shown to the players several times. I will be in GIA tomorrow night, as I was in Lloyd Noble two weeks ago, and I hope to heck that the results are different. Trust me, it ain't fun walking out of an arena away from AFH after you lose. It can be brutal. Go Hawks.

NebraskaJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Why is the backflip classless? The guy was over-joyed he beat the hawks on their home court.

So the next time KU players jump into the air and chest bump each other after defeating a team on their home court, are you going to say..."good form, Hawks"?

Dude, that's just the way guys celebrate after a big win...and that's all Smart was doing. You can't blame him.

Beat the Cowboys, Hawks....let's take the conference title....again!

NebraskaJayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Hey, I'm not saying it doesn't p me off when it happens. I hate seeing guys celebrate on our court after a victory. All I'm saying is that our guys do similar things. Maybe not a backflip, but I know they've done a lot more than that. I give the guy credit for actually pulling it off. Now Smart can say he passes the requirement for being a Kansas cheerleader.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 3 months ago

was it classless when Elijah Johnson blew kisses to the Bramlage Colisseum crowd? that's different from a chest bump too.

John Randall 6 years, 3 months ago

Freshmen deserve some latitude, even with an attitude.

Brad Farha 6 years, 3 months ago

Heya Ralster -- what did Travis Ford say about Self directly? I've heard comments to that effect from others, but I don't know the details. Can you share?

RJ King 6 years, 3 months ago

Moonwalk - Smart did it because he could. Perhaps Texas didn't have any players with this move. Or perhaps out of respect for the devastated spirit of the team they had just beat. Apples and oranges.

A celebration expressing the pure joy of victory (backflip, chest bump, layup over goalpost, etc.) is an important part of team chemistry and fan entertainment. A celebration which expresses gloating to the opposing team or fans (The Moss Moon, The Owens Star, etc.) is where taste and class come into question.

The difference between KU and Okie St is that we have less opportunity for monumental achievements because of the history and success of the program.

Trust me - If Tyshawn had backflipped after a NC victory over KY last year, you would've been all over it in a good way!

John Randall 6 years, 3 months ago

Excuses, more excuses. You are out of line with the ragging almost as bad as the screen name.

VaJay 6 years, 3 months ago

If we box out defensively & limit their second shots, we win the game, and if we had done that the first game, we would've won hands down. And it would help a great deal if EJ forgets about shooting 3's & chooses to drive it.

Scott Smetana 6 years, 3 months ago

and bricks layups like he did against OSU last time?

VaJay 6 years, 3 months ago

I like his chances of a layup much better than his 3 pointers. He seemed to fix his short game his last outing.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

Read Eric Bossi's follow-up with Randle.

Most of it sounded so encouraging 'til it got to the very end.

Then he's quoted as saying how important it is to be happy & having fun.

Might as well pare it down to UK (UK w/ Calipari's "connections" - i.e. Jay-Z) or N.C.State (Rodney Purvis being there) with that comment.

***Having said that, if we don't get either Randle or Wiggins - Self COULD still bring in a contributor depending on what coaches leave programs,etc. like how we got K.Young, Arizona got M.Lyons this year, etc.

Plus, I'd have a little faith that Lucas will be ready to contribute inside next year. Maybe not to the level that Mc did this year as a wing, but I'll get he proves to be a valuable piece ALREADY in just his 1st yr. of eligibility.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

Had to "pay" for some 7-Day Free Trial on Rivals.com. Probably safeguarded from copying for that reason.

In essence he liked seeing the "inner workings" of Coach Self's system, said that much like past successful KU big men would be asked to hit the 15'er. Said that one difference Coach Self would envision if he had him at his disposal is letting him on occasion bring the ball up......we tried to let T.Rob do that on occasion and a coupld of x ok, but sometimes disastrous results.

I liked what I was reading.

Then I got to that last two sentences and it appeared CRYSTAL-CLEAR to me that he doesn't intend to come here.

When he talks about happy & having fun that has N.C.State or UK written all over it. Maybe, I'm reading into it wrong.....MAYBE he would consider the challenges with Hudy as "fun". But I seriously doubt it.

Kind of get a To. Parker feeling to this one, like we WERE in the running, but more like top 3 or 4 than 1 or 2.

Right now I would suspect that it's probably 1. N.C. State, 2. UK, 3. (tie) UF, KU.....and I think we actually moved UP. I think we were probably 4th or 5th before.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

The reaction we were hoping for didn't happen! :(

Didn't react like Selden - just a day or two later....Where do I sign on?!?!?!?

Looks to me like we'll always have hope of signing guys from about 12 on down to 80 or so Luckily, most of those lower than 25 or so are usually MORE than OAD at least.

Hard to complain when most have us with the 2nd or 3rd best class this season.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

But Ben wasn't above a top 12-rating.

He was something like 24th or 25th.

It would be HUGE if we got Tyus Jones for two years from now....maybe could get him and Jahlil Okafor, but a TON of people have felt like the pair are Duke bound and well may have J. Parker stay there for them to come join him.

So, in my opinion even that's unrealistic.

I think our REAL hope is to get Mudiaye. Sounds a lot like a hybrid of Ty. Taylor & Selden. Wow, does that ever sound like a Self player, huh?!

Alex Peekeaton 6 years, 3 months ago

Recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer tweeted last week that Kentucky is a big favorite for Emmanuel Mudiay with Arizona and Baylor next in line. Jones and Okafor are going to sign with the same school and Duke is probably the one.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

All right. I was just extolling the virutes of No. 25 - 80 recruiting and then going on a spiel of HAVING TO land a top 10 PG (that's top 10 overall players...not top 10 PGs).

Anyone have their eyes on a PG for 2 seasons from now in the top 25 - 80 overall range? That would be in a range from McLemore at the highest to about A.White III at the lowest.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

All right this is what I found outside of Ty. Jonse or E. Mudiaye - neither of which that it sounds like that we're likely to land....AND doesn't include those already committed.

The 1st non-committed outside of the top 10 is: 1) - 16th ranked LaQuan Lyle, 6'-4, 185 LBs, Evansville, IN.....apparently we're not on his list. He's got a "92" grade which is the same as 12th ranked Joel Berry who just committed to UNC. His "big-names" in his list include Florida, Indiana, Louisville, N.C. State & Ohio State. Other only slighly lesser names include Cincinnati, G'town, Illinois & Tennessee. His biggest strength is his flexibility that makes it sound like he could techincally play PG, SG, or wing, though trying to come in as a PG. Weakness is he's streaky.

2) 23rd ranked Jordan McLaughlan, 6'-0, 155 LBs (same as Frankamp), Rancho Cucamonga, CA....we ARE on his list. "91" grade. Biggest competition otherwise = Arizona, UConn, Indiana or UCLA. Lesser(to a degree) names include Gonzaga, New Mexico, San Diego State, Stanford & UNLV. Described as a young Ru. Westbrook / A. Iverson in the Scouting Report

3) 30th ranked Parker Jackson-Cartwright, 5'-7, 140 LBs (wow, that's small!), Los Angeles, CA. Not on his list (which doesn't surprise me at that size). "89" grade Biggest recrutiers w/ big-names include: Arizona, N.C. State & UCLA....other lesser names include Arizona State, St. John's, UNLV, USC & Washington......I could see him going to Washington as they've had experience w/ tiny G's before w/ success....i.e., N. Robinson.

4) 41st ranked Josh Perkins, 6'-2, 185 LBs, Denver, CO (WHO I WANT US TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUPING!!!!!! And I've heard us being mentioned with him before). ON HIS LIST. "87" grade. Biggest competition = Arizona (geez!), Colorado, Duke (but no offer). Others include: Denver U., Gonzaga, Minnesota, New Mexico, Stanford. Described as a true PG, strong for his size; positive impact at both ends. Looks goofy & sounds smart. Has me worried that he'd go to Stanford.

Others rated "85" or less that might be possibilities

"84" graded Keith Pinckney, 6'-1, 165 LBs, Lithonia, GA - not on his list (Names high on him = Miami (FL), Clemson, Stanford, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Tennessee, Va. Tech & Wake Forest)...GLOWING review with only needing improvement on the long-range jumper.

"83" graded Kaleb Joseph, 6'-3, 165 LBs, Nashua, NH - not on his list (Names high on him = Duke (no offer), Maryland, Pitt (no offer), & Syracuse)...surprised to not hear of us in on one of these N.H. Academy players

Lastly, I was also surprised to see a "79" graded ...Nairns from out of Bel Aire, KS described as likely the fastest Div. I recruit for that year only having K-State show interest in him currently. Yes, 5'-10, but 170 LBs and 5'-10's big enough.....We've had plenty barely reach 6' on our roster in the past.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

So realistically, in my book, we're probably hoping to G*d that we get EITHER McLaughlan OR Perkins.

I think McLaughlan sounds like a West Coast bit more wiry (less stout) version of S. Collins for which Self would certainly welcome something familiar with which to work with. Having said that, Sherron started slow & only REALLY came on after about 1/3 of the way into his Soph. year.

The one that I'm still the MOST mad that we didn't get this past recruiting season for next season is Demetrius Jackson. With all of the feedback & comments he had while it DID sound like we were very likely in his final three....I think it was N.D., Illinois or us.......still sukks to have major commits pick what are OBVIOUSLY inferior schools.

Tarc to Arizona, ok. Various recruits in the past to Kentucky, ok. Can't think of someone specific - but to Duke or UNC....big deal. That Chris Jones to Louisville....even that's - ok.

But "Cat" Barber to N.C. State (I think I heard that we quit recruting him because of some inciden though)?!??!?!

Dem. Jackson to N.D.?!?!?!?! Kar. Shepherd to TCU?!?!??! Some of these guys going to some really not comparable bball schools sukks big time!!! :(

bgthemanofsteel 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't come to the same conclusion from a comment about "having fun." Sounds to me like he may be referring to the Harlem Shake video.

edmondjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Really Nebraska? Comparing a chest bump and a backflip? Everybody chest bumps anymore. Would you have the same opinion if it was a Missouri player that did it? Smart even admits in the article that he shouldn't have done it. I suppose you thought it was classy when Billy Tubbs let his OU team cut down the nets in AFH after clinching a Big 8 title one year? I'm just of the opinion, act like you've been there before..Oh that's right, O-State hadn't been there in a long time!!!

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 3 months ago

at first I thought it was a classless stunt designed to bring attention to himself rather than his team, and maybe it was, but hey a win in Allen Fieldhouse is a once in a lifetime accomplishment from most COACHES in the big 12 conference, let alone the players. So I cut the kid some slack for that.

Woody Cragg 6 years, 3 months ago

Don't know if play ourselves back into a #1 seed, but this one is absolutely neccessary if we do. Does anyone know if they still allow the Cowpoke mascot to shoot that blank pistol during the game? That's gotta be the most obnoxious friggin thing I've ever experienced at a CBB game. It's loud as all hell when you're sitting behind the bench.

Sally Presson 6 years, 3 months ago

Marcus Smart's back flip was awesome!!! Just shows you how excited he was to beat the Jayhawks!!! Now Hawks---go out from the start like you did on K State, I knew from the beginning of the game, they were all together and ready to demolish the Wildcats!!! It was unbelieveable, now do it to the Cowboys!!! You've got it in you just do it!!! I don't want to see another back flip from Marcus!!!

Rock Chalk

edmondjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for backing me up moonwalk....he said that's the way kids celebrate big wins nowadays...he must be watching different games than me.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

"The Essense of the New Offense and Greatness Doesn't Come Cheap"

Part 1

BlownJay,

The essense of this year's spread hi-lo is NOT to set sustained screens. In fact, the idea is to screen without body contact if possible. The purpose of the screen is simply to create a step or two of separation by encouraging the defender to run around. This team would wind up on its asses trying to set hard screens. 185 lb 4s cannot set hard screens on 210-225 pound perimeter players, nor can they on 225-250 pound bigs. The only time you will see a hard screen set will be against a guy Withey, or KY have a significant weight advantage on. And that is limited to light, quick guards, and those guys are fast enough to go over the top of hard screens, so it will seem even then as if a hard screen is not being set, unless it is a blind side screen the guard runs into.

Regarding Chalmers vs. Self, their conflict was legendary. People now already forget that Chalmers was the first of Self's 5 star can't miss recruits not to get the star treatment and coddling that goes with it. When Chalmers arrived, there was no doubt in anyone's minds that he would be the point guard from the beginning and that RussRob would either be his backup, or be the 2, if RussRob were ever got out of Self's dog house. They assumed this in part, because Self appeared a shameless, ambitious young coach determined to succeed at all costs by hiring Chalmers' dad as an assistant coach in order to sign Chalmers (note: though what appeared a contrived decent interval between Chalmers' signing and his dad's hiring was used to hold the public criticism to a minimum).

Mario Chalmers did get a little time the first few games at point and proved thoroughly inadequate. He was a huge let down in fact, given his hype. RussRob easily won the point and did a fine job, while Chalmers was moved to the 2 guard. His defense, particularly his stripping, was strong from the beginning, much as Tyshawn's was as freshman, too. But Chalmers was much tougher physically and mentally than was Tyshawn as a freshman. As the season wore on, Chalmers quickly grew into the role of 2 guard and complemented RussRob exceptionally well, but it seemed pretty clear that he felt betrayed about not getting to play the point.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Part 2

What people also forget is that the Chalmers that came in with the rep of a good jump shooter, but he turned out to be a very average trey shooter initially. Brandon Rush was an exceptional shooter from the start and so was always the go to guy from outside until Chalmers' last season.

Chalmers' great strengths most of his career were his defense and stripping. He was only 6-2, but he had no neck and exceptionally long arms, so he could guard all but the best, most athletic true 2s. But it was Aaron Afflalo of UCLA that truly exposed how much farther Chalmers had to go to become the great player he became his last season. Chalmers got burnt to crisp toast by Afflalo, who was 6-4 and just as athletic as Chalmers. Afflalo scored on Chalmers at will, and used Howland's then unfamiliar hack'n'slap defense to take Chalmers completely out of the game. Chalmers fared so poorly against Afflalo that Self had to put Brandon Rush on Afflalo just to keep KU from getting blown completely out of the game.

Prior to getting burned by Afflalo, Self had ridden Chalmers unmercifully. I forget the game now, but at one point pretty far into Chalmers' career, Self was pushing his buttons so hard that Chalmers wanted to fight Self in the huddle. It was an amazing and scary thing to see on television. Chalmers almost cracked in that moment. It was a very, very dangerous moment for Self and for Chalmers. Chalmers could easily have lashed out and taken a swing at Self and the damage would have been very difficult to remediate for both Chalmers and Self. So: they were both lucky that it did not go farther.

Overall, the Self of that time was still too young and new to talk openly of what his complaint was with Mario, at least with the kind of frankness that Self does about, say, Perry Ellis.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Part 3

Chalmers was not aggressive enough. He was not driven enough to play to his ability. Unlike Perry Ellis, Chalmers was already a fierce competitor with opponents, but he did not yet understand that every players' ultimate opponent is himself. Chalmers was not a fierce competitor with himself. Chalmers, like Ellis after him, had been so good for so long, and had such strong, straight arrow supervision, that Chalmers, like Ellis after him, had never learned to play at the edge of his envelope.

On the surface, Chalmers went harder than Perry Ellis did, and got to start because of it, but that only served to obscure that Chalmers was only going hard with what he already had in his quiver, not what he would have to develop and would have to go hard with in order to fulfill his potential.

Chalmers appeared unwilling to get better at anything he was not already good at. Yes, his defense was good and got better. Yes, his stripping was good and got better. But his ball handling and his shooting, which were just okay, did not get better the first couple of seasons. He coasted and Self needed him, so he could not pull him much.

(Note: the above is no knock on Perry Ellis either. It is much harder for a big man to break through this barrier than it is for a perimeter player, because the guys inside are engaged in something just short of mortal combat. It is so physical inside that for all but super men, it takes a couple of seasons to do more than what Ellis has been doing this season.)

And eventually, and in a big game, too, a Mario Chalmers not willing to push himself to the peak of his abilities, a guy who looked so good to so many because of how much talent he had, got eaten alive by a guy he should have been able to stay with and play decently--a guy a year later he could have stayed with and perhaps even taken--Aaron Afflalo.

But it wasn't just the humiliation by Afflalo that exposed to Chalmers that he was not then half as good as he thought he was. Because Chalmers was the second best outside shooter on a team that was shy of outside shooters (i.e., Rush was the only truly reliable, 40% gun in the rotation in Chalmers' first two seasons), Chalmers harbored the mistaken idea that he was an excellent outside shooter. He was not. He was a 36-38% trey shooter and those grow on every tree in Division 1. Sherron Collins entered able to shoot 38%.

What Chalmers was was a guy who maybe could have become a good trey shooter, a guy who had the tools, but lacked the insight to see that he was not there yet.

Being burned by Afflalo was no doubt a hurt to his self-esteem, for he had become a lock down defender, but he could always tell himself that Afflalo was just one guy and a guy headed to the L, and that Afflalo had caught him on a bad day.

KansasComet 6 years, 3 months ago

Mario Chalmers is one of the most clutch players we have had in the History of Kansas Basketball, starting with his Freshman Year: Big XII record for steals (89), I call that "aggressive". National Freshman of the Week Award (Twice). MVP of the Big XII Tournament. Sophomore Year Big XII Co-Defensive Player of the year. 3 Time Big XII All Defensive Team.

The UCLA game was a good learning experience for the entire team. Their guards were better than our guards that day. Afflalo did not miss a shot in the second half, he was on fire and finished with 24 points. Darren Collison was no joke either, and he was just too fast for our guards that day. UCLA was so stacked at guard that Russell Westbrook was the backup and barely got 5 minutes of playing time that game. It was a lot more than just one guy as you stated. We were out manned, and we lost. We were better for it, and we won the title the next year. I really did enjoy reading your post, thanks.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Part 4

But it was when Chalmers went to try out for a USA team for an international competition and got cut for not being a good enough outside shooter that Chalmers began the heroic transformation of himself that would eventually lead to his jersey getting hung, and hung before Brandon Rush's did.

The dual humiliations by Afflalo, and getting cut for being an inadequate trey shooter, appeared to ignite a fire in Chalmers that had never been there before. A fire to fight himself and not just others. Chalmers went from being an exceptionally talented guy deeply angered at Self for not letting him play what he apparently believed was his true position--point guard--into a human being possessed with getting better to prove not only Self, but the entire world wrong about him. The change in him was noticeable from the first game of the next season.

Chalmers could finally shoot. And he would go on to have one of the great outside shooting seasons in KU history capped with "The Shot."

Less remembered is that Chalmers became an exceptional ball handler that same season. Chalmers off season work must have been astounding in its intensity and extent. Rarely have I seen a very good player take it so suddenly to the level of all around excellence.

Chalmers last season at KU he could easily have played point guard and been wonderful at it. The only reason he did not was that Self had RussRob and Sherron that could do it, while neither of them could do the 2 role as well as Chalmers could. Self had not one, not two, but three exceptional point guards on the '08 team, each of them as good, or better than all but probably 3, or 4 starting point guards in the country that season.

Mario Chalmers transformed himself into a great college basketball player his last season. He became a player that could play the 2 as well as anyone, play point guard as well as anyone when needed, and could explode out of his position on a regular basis to make not just good, but great plays on both ends of the floor. If he had measured 6-4, instead of 6-2, he would have been the number one player drafted in the NBA IMHO. He was better than Rose in every conceivable way except height at the time.

But what time has obscured is this: Mario Chalmers was only great one season at KU. He was good all along. But he only played to his abilities one season. And it was a crucible all the way getting there.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Part 5

To Chalmers' dad's credit, it was very difficult to tell what his dad's thinking was on his talented son's crucible under Self. Ronnie Chalmers appeared a tough, no-nonsense ex military man and one time high school coach. He let on little of thoughts and feelings and it was probably wise. Self had them in a box. Mario Chalmer's transferring would have been a huge cost to himself (lost year of eligibility at a time when his future in the draft was still then uncertain) and to Ronnie Chalmers, who had uprooted his family from Anchorage, AK, to come to Lawrence to try to exploit an opportunity to become a D1 assistant basketball coach on his son's shirt tails. And Self coached and rode Mario Chalmers as if he did have Mario Chalmers and his dad in a box. But in Self's defense, he was using the box to try to make Mario Chalmers reach his full potential, not to use him up and dispose of him. Looking back, it seems clear to me that Self believed Chalmers had the chance to be great, recognized what was keeping him from it, and worked mercilessly to try to help him break through the wall that was stopping him.

But once Mario Chalmers graduated, Ronnie Chalmers appeared to vote with his feet on what he felt he and his son had gone through under Self, perhaps especially what he, Ronnie Chalmers, had gone through as an assistant under Self. He shortly resigned.

Actions speak louder than words ever could in this situation. There is probably a lot more to why Ronnie Chalmers left than we know. There always is, isn't there? But his decision to resign, whether Self wanted him to, or not, says it all. Ronnie Chalmers did not see a professional fit with Bill Self, once his son was gone, and perhaps vice versa.

I never felt Bill Self and Ronnie Chalmers did not like each other, lacked respect for each other. But I do believe that some of the lengths Bill Self went to to break Mario Chalmers through to the person and player Mario became his last season, were probably too much for any parent to bear to watch, certainly on a daily basis.

One can never really know persons in the public eye, except to say they are certainly as human and flawed as those outside the public eye, which is to say very human and very flawed. None of us looks good under a microscope.

But being a parent, I have the utmost respect for Ronnie Chalmers with the limited view that I can have. Mario Chalmers probably would never have achieved 2/3s of what he has achieved without the resolve and commitment of Ronnie Chalmers behind him. And I for one cannot imagine how difficult it must have been for him to watch his son, and to some extent have to participate in his son, going through what he went through at KU, no matter how sweetly it ended for his son.

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

I do not even remotely think that Ronnie Chalmers leaving KU had ANYTHING to do with how he felt his son was treated or what he thought of Bill Self. He came to KU to be with his son and he followed his son to Miami. No more, no less.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

Part 6

Whether or not Self wanted Ronnie to go, or stay, after Mario graduated, I completely understand now, in a way that was only a glimmer to me then, why Ronnie Chalmers would likely have wanted to depart Self's staff. No parent should have to experience first hand day after day for years on end, what a good player has to go through to become great. It is too brutal. All the parents that move to Lawrence probably do just fine, because they don't have to be at practice, and don't have to partake in the button pushing and driving that goes on with coaches and players.

I think there is no mystery to why Self does not hire fathers of big time recruits anymore. Letting coaches' sons be walk-ons is no big deal. The team and Self's career will never depend on Tyler, Niko, and Evan. Tyler, Niko and Evan will never be driven to the next level. They will never experience the trial by extended fire that Mario Chalmers went through. They will instead learn the ins and out of coaching, the ways players are driven, trained, practiced and which buttons are pushed. They will learn all that they will need to try to see if they can become coaches. They will even learn second hand the XTReme Pressures the good players are put under in order to make them great. But they will never experience it themselves. Ever. Nor will their parents with their sons.

They already know what it is like for the good that become great.

And it doesn't come cheap.

Rock Chalk, Mario Chalmers.

Rock Chalk, Ronnie Chalmers.

(Note: as always, all of the above is based on a fan's remote point of view, not on insider information. All is based on appearances to me. The actual facts of the situation could be vastly different than what appeared to me.)

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 3 months ago

I have to disagree with you on your Ronnie Chalmers view. Both his coming to Lawrence and leaving just indicate to me that he was living his life through Mario. He followed him to Lawrence and used him to get a job, then quit so he could follow him to Miami.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

"On Self's PR Strategy for OSU"

Clearly Self is raising the bar for this game. He is turning it into an even bigger game than it is. This is something he rarely does. Why is he doing it?

Little Travis Ford has not coached in very many BIG games.

Big Bill Self has coached in lots of BIG games.

Self is raising the bar on a little guy.

Self is pressing his buttons.

Self is trying to appeal to Travis Ford's Napoleonic complex, as they used to like to say of short guys.

Mr. Neutral Balance, Bill Self, is trying to get Travis Ford to over reach, to rise to the challenge of a big game.

Travis Ford, for his part, is trying to play it down. He is trying to make excuses about how tough it is to win two. He is trying to get KU to relax. He is trying to not make any more bulletin board actions, or statements, after the one that leaked about the little guy fairly jumping up and down with glee at knocking off the big guy.

So Bill Self is trying to get Travis Ford to rise to a challenge he is not used to and Travis is trying to tone down pack of revenge driven wolves that is practicing in Lawrence this week.

Bill Self is hoping he can get Travis Ford's players tight about a big game, and hoping he can get a sawed off coach over-eager to prove himself the better man.

Then Self plans to unleash his blooded team on Travis Ford's tight team that Travis will likely try to propell into an early break out. Self expects their tightness to make them miss some shots early. He expects their early hurrying to expose their flanks to KU's transition game.

Self wants to put it to them early and hard.

But Travis Ford holds the ace in the hole of all coaches that win the first round.

He could decide to come out and play it slow the first five minutes; i.e., he could change up on Self and KU's expectations.

In this game, we get to learn whether or not Travis Ford is as wily as he seems to think he is.

Because Bill is not going holding much back, regardless if there are 4 games coming in 9 days.

Why?

Because if you don't win this game, the others are going to be that much tougher to win with shaken confidence.

This one you play to win.

You just don't reveal your hand you are going to play before tip off.

Instead you pimp the little guy who has not been in many big games.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

To every posting Scroll, scroll, scroll... There is a reason Scroll, scroll, scroll... And a scroll for every purpose Unto heaven... :-)

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

In rank order, Ecclesiastes, Pete Seeger and the Byrds.

Marcia Parsons 6 years, 3 months ago

I have to disagree with your take on Ronnie Chalmers. I think his actions, both in coming to Lawrence and in leaving Lawrence, just show that his whole life is bound up in his son. He followed him to Lawrence and used him to get a job, and then immediately left so he could follow him to Miami.

Brad Farha 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Jaybate. I rarely post, but I always enjoy following your posts. Appreciate the insight.

jaybate 6 years, 3 months ago

I can feel the slayr getting juiced already!

Sam Constance 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't get the idea that Smart's backflip was "classless" or some kind of slight.

Sorry fellow KU fans, but that's going to be one of the unanticipated side-effects of having such a dominant home court advantage. Players are going to be ecstatic if they somehow manage a win there--especially a 19-year old freshman who was the single biggest reason they won that game down the stretch.

It's okay for the players to be offended by it--but more because it was their lackluster play that allowed it to happen than anything else. They should be offended that they let Smart have the opportunity. But fans getting riled up about it as "classless" is just silly, imho. It may be annoying to watch, but think about it like you would a school rushing their home court after beating KU. They only do it because it means so much to them. In a frustrating, twisted way, it should be viewed as a compliment of sorts.

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years, 3 months ago

Agreed, it's not like he pulled a Terrel Owens and slammed the basketball on the Jayhawk's beak at center court.

Kye Clark 6 years, 3 months ago

Yeah I had no problem with him doing it, other than the fact it meant we just lost.

BCRavenJHawkfan 6 years, 3 months ago

AFH vs GIA

Just something I have to share.

Part of my job is that every year I load some software on each of our School of Pharmacy students laptops (to simulate prescription filling etc). I typically take care of this in the students first lab (usually 25 students per group). A couple of years ago I'm working a group of laptops and as is always the case I get to see various desktop image. Oh yes they run the gamutt; boy friend/girl friend, trucks/cars, puppies/kittens, bikini babes, etc. you get the picture.

As I near the end of the 25 students I encounter a desktop image that is Gallagher-Iba Arena (inside full court view). I look at this student and asked what is the significance of GIA as the desktop image. She says she did her undergrad work there and thought GIA was the coolest place and could really rock.

I got going with the software load, configured settings and tested. Finished. I told the young lady everything was setup and working and then told her, Gallagher-Iba is a nice place and all, but there is only one Meca, only one Phogg. :)

John Fitzgerald 6 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate, no offense, but do you have a day job? Or are you getting paid to make these comments? Not saying they're bad comments, just long and extremely detailed.

Steve Gantz 6 years, 3 months ago

He works for the LDJ, his name is Keegan :)

John Randall 6 years, 3 months ago

The paper in Lawrence is the Journal World. The Topeka paper is the Daily.

KGphoto 6 years, 3 months ago

He's just an extremely fast writer! Check the post times. It only took him 3 minutes to write the first 6 parts. I'm guessing that's about 2,000 WPM so...

Ron Franklin 6 years, 3 months ago

Maybe he's earned retirement? That would explain his ability to bring so much to his forum :)

Steve Gantz 6 years, 3 months ago

When was the last time we lost twice in season to a team in the conference? I'm sure there's been others since '88, burt we lost twice to OU that year, thankfullly not a third time. And I'm not anticipating this year to be the year it happens either!

texashawk10 6 years, 3 months ago

For the Big 12 years, I'm only including the south teams that beat KU in the regular season and tournament.

88-89: OU and Missouri swept KU

89-90: Missouri swept KU

93-94: Missouri swept KU

98-99: Nebraska swept KU in the regular season, but KU won the Big 12 tournament game

99-00: Iowa St. and OSU swept KU

00-01: Iowa St. swept KU

03-04: Texas swept KU

KU has been swept 9 times by conference teams (10 if you want to include Michigan St. in 08-09 beating KU twice) and it hasn't happened in 9 years when Texas beat Kansas down in Austin and then bounced Kansas out of the Big 12 tournament in the semi-finals.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

Notice that with the exception of the Texas occurrence, that those were ALL Roy years. :)

Steve Gantz 6 years, 3 months ago

Well that's a nice complete answer! ISU two years in a row? Wow, I don't ever remember a team owning us like that. Missouri, Anthony Peeler responsible for the 93-94 sweep. His outburst against us is one of the greatest opponent games in AFH that I remember.

texashawk10 6 years, 3 months ago

The ISU sweeps were the two years ISU won the Big 12 when they had Marcus Fizer and Jamal Tinsley and were a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament each year. The sweep that baffles me is the Nebraska one. I know 98-99 was probably Roy's worst team other than the probation team his first year, but Nebraska was an NIT team that year on the downward slide so that is the one that baffled me above all the rest.

WETSUhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Say what you want about Smart's back-flip, but he won that game for OS. His offensive rebounds and put backs in the last three minutes were key to their win. The kid out hustled our guys on the boards.

A point guard getting 8 offensive boards and put backs is ridiculous. Maybe we should have KY guard him. Most points go to a defensive mode on a shot. Smart attacks the glass. I'm sure HCBS is going to emphasize this to our guys. His taking over the boards and scoring at the end of the game when we had a one point lead is all HCBS needs to show our players to emphasize toughness in the rematch.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

A LOT of that was actually on Coach Self. We weren't playing a "4" man at the time.......we had Releford manning the "4". If anything I would hope that we would do the opposite and let Releford guard Smart in this game. Put Mc on Mk. Brown.

Sam Constance 6 years, 3 months ago

Is anyone else annoyed by the "OBVIOUSLY Marcus Smart is the freshman of the year in the Big 12" chatter that has been going on over the radio and various media sites?

I understand everyone is infatuated with the fact that he's a rebounding PG (5.8 rpg), but let's be honest--a PG rebounding that much is partially about skill/talent, but also about scheme/approach. In other words, part of the reasons Smart is able to rebound like that is because he's clearly not being asked to perform the duty that MOST point guards are asked to perform: being the first man back on defense in the case of a missed shot. Obviously, Smart has to have the rebounding talent to make it worthwhile for Ford and OSU to use him in this way, but let's not pretend he's some crazy Oscar Robertson type player.

Plus, it bothers me that everyone is happy to completely ignore his rather poor shooting and his mediocre A/TO ratio because HEY--he's getting rebounds and steals and blocks!!!!! On the season, Marcus Smart is shooting a very pedestrian .418 from the field and .316 from three-point range. His ratio of assists to turnovers is 1.4, meaning the 4.5 assists per game aren't quite so amazing when stacked up against 3.2 TOs per game. Worth noting: Elijah Johnson is averaging 4.6 assists to 3.1 TOs per game...

Now Smart is pretty amazing--he's leading the league in steals per game, is clearly an athletic and talented PG, but he is absolutely in a neck-and-neck race for freshman of the year. Or at least he SHOULD be. But we all know the drill--McLemore was wowing people earlier in the season and hasn't done anything quite like Smart has lately in terms of putting the team on his back, so Smart is getting the "leader" boost. Unfortunately, I think it's going to cost McLemore a freshman of the year award.

jaycard 6 years, 3 months ago

After trying to read Jaybate's inaugural address, I feel like the guy sitting next to the old lady in Airplane...where's the noose?

onegonzo 6 years, 3 months ago

There's no noose...just the facts on Mario & Russ Rob ...they put me in mind of a couple of retrievers I use to hunt behind...when they were on the nose for the ball!

mikehawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Forget about the back flip. It means nothing on the scoreboard. It occurred after the game, and, OK, it hurt our pride. But it isn't his back flip, it is what he does between the lines when the clock is turned on. We can't match up against Smart well. Travis is the only player with the size, strength, and quickness to stay with him. I don't think EJ can handle him, and Ben isn't strong enough. I think we can match up otherwise with everyone else, but this guy is "Sherron-like" in will to win, strength, swagger, and fearlessness...and he is bigger. But even more than Smart, they KILLED us on the offensive board. Please! One shot! We need a huge offensive game from Ben and he still struggles more on the road. This is a test of wills. Whose is broken at the end of this game? This is a real test for KU and probably means first or second in the league. It also means whether OSU can get some love from the national media. You think that isn't on their mind?

Sam Constance 6 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. Defensive lineup for Wednesday needs to be:

Releford on Smart EJ on Brown McLemore on Nash

That also works well from the standpoint of EJ coming out and Naadir being more equipped to handle Brown than Smart or Nash.

The real issue will be when we have both Naadir and EJ in the game. My best guess is that you put EJ on Smart because he's closer in size and strength, and Naadir guards Brown.

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

Ku needs to come out and play with a relentless defensive pressure and smother Okie State's offense. We cannot let Brown and Smart run wild and get open looks and lanes. Ku played too lackadaisical on defense in their first meeting. We'll see if they can bring the defensive pressure they have shown against KSU and Texas. Without it, they are sunk.

Robin Smith 6 years, 3 months ago

Is there a KUsports.com Ratings for the most recent game against Texas?

All I see is the one following K-State.

Robin Smith 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks.

it wasn't on the men's hoops page, which is my bookmark, but it is on the frontpage

Tony Bandle 6 years, 3 months ago

If I was a betting man [and I never do because betting is wrong and very, very naughty, wink, wink], I would set the over at 130.

I think this is going to be a brutal game with lots of physical play and defense and a score of 66-64 or something like that.

Based on rankings, OSU comes in as the home "dog", however the previous visitor "dog" turnaround cover would lend credence to the fact that OSU will not only be favored to cover the spread but go "W"......or at least that's what I'd say if I was a betting man!! :)

Tony Bandle 6 years, 3 months ago

PS Travis Ford is a pipsqueek who stopped the team review game film every time HCBS came on and called him "that sawed-off runt."

theoljhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

I beg to differ. Tharpe needs to show some consistency before he can lead this team. Rio and White just need to prove they can pass the ball effectively just to get in the game. They are no where near ready to get significant playing time. I'm hoping a freshman can step in and contribute next year or we will be in trouble at point guard.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 3 months ago

Everyone we've had at PG in the past always makes "leaps & bounds" improvement from Soph. to Jr. year.

Some of Tharpe's inconsistencies likely have a LOT to do with the "in & out, in & out" sporadic nature of his mins.

Anrio I feel sometimes is more bashed than he should be. That TO on Mon. night was a non-called kicked ball......go take a look at replay again and see for yourself. Now maybe Bill would he prefer that he not get in a rush and just make sure he gets it up there smoothly UNLESS we're on the break. So maybe that you can call him out on. There've been other passes of his where the recipients aren't very accommodating as well.

Ray Winger 6 years, 3 months ago

Julius' Mom is correct. KU Fans are the best. I bet that Roy Williams misses the KU Fans a lot and had to trade for some stuffed shirts. I rate the KU Fans #1, in basketball, and the Nebraska Fans #1 in football. Both, would give standing ovations to opponents for good performances, and be condemning of poor efforts by their own teams, and give no quarter to lazy ref calls.