Monday, February 18, 2013

Jayhawks ‘Shake’ funk

Bill Self says dance video bonding experience for team

Kansas players Travis Releford (24) and Kevin Young go wild after a 360 jam by teammate Ben McLemore against Texas during the second half on Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kevin Young, who has been rail-thin since his days as a cross country runner at Perris (Calif.) High, says he has discovered the secret to putting on weight his second and final season at Kansas University.

“I just let my ’fro grow,” joked the 6-foot-8 senior basketball power forward, who is listed at 190 pounds but in actuality may tip the scales 10 to 15 pounds below that standard.

Somewhat shy around the media, even in this, his senior year, the man with the expansive afro was in a jolly mood after Saturday’s 73-47 home rout of Texas. It marked the Jayhawks’ second straight victory after three consecutive defeats.

Young gladly discussed his role in production of KU’s “Harlem Shake” video, which was filmed in KU’s locker room Friday, and since being posted on YouTube has had more than 450,000 views.

“Oh my gosh. I got prepared for that video. I think I bought almost everybody’s costumes,” Young said of wacky costumes and props, such as guitars and hats.

“When they told me we were going to do it,” Young added of organizer Justin Wesley, “I watched a couple (Harlem Shake) videos. I’d never seen it before. I said, ‘If we’re going to do this, we’ve got to go all-out. We can’t just do a little half version of it. We’ve got to do it the best we can.’”

The Jayhawks’ version of the Shake includes a starring role from coach Bill Self, who begins the video by writing the words “Harlem Shake” on the chalkboard.

“I have no idea,” Self said, asked how filming dance videos helps a team. “The guys told me Thursday, ‘Coach, we need you in the locker room at 2 o’clock.’ They wanted me to dance, and that wasn’t going to happen.

“Of course, if I knew I could wear a chicken head (like Ben McLemore in video) and nobody knew who I was, I might have done it. I didn’t know what the Harlem Shake was. They asked me to do whatever I did, which I’m sure added a lot of value,” Self added with a laugh.

“I do think it kind of shows team unity, and the other thing (is), I think our fans like seeing that our guys are real. I think that’s as much as anything it does for us.”

Of course, other dance videos have appeared featuring the Jayhawks in the locker room, such as one filmed after the Ohio State victory and available at http://bit.ly/Vy5ovz

“It’s huge,” Self said of the importance of players having fun. “There’s not a team in America that has fun every time they go play. You go through ruts and lose your personality through the course of the season, at least every team we’ve had. Ours (funk) came at an inopportune time. We were duds three games. I think we got our personality back. When we play with energy, we are good. When we don’t, we get average fast. That’s the thing we have to learn.”

The Jayhawks this past weekend received a jolt of energy from past Jayhawks on hand for the Texas game. They included NBA players Mario Chalmers, Marcus and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson, Tyshawn Taylor, Nick Collison and Xavier Henry, as well as Jeff Graves, Mario Little, Conner Teahan, Brady Morningstar, Jeff Hawkins and Wayne Simien.

“They text us every now and then,” senior center Jeff Withey said. “The older guys don’t give us a pep talk or anything. We know what we’ve got to do, but it’s definitely good to have them back. They are our old teammates. You want to perform for those guys.”

Seeing them, “gives you a good feeling that shoots through your body,” noted senior Elijah Johnson. “In the locker room, you can’t deny it.”

Noted senior Young: “They let us know we’ve got to come out and do what Kansas does. They did it before us. It’s our time now. It’s more a support thing. They didn’t put pressure on us. At the end of the day, we’re all Kansas.”

Self loves when former players return to town for games.

“These are kids they grew up with,” Self said. “Thomas ... he was a roommate with (Johnson) for three years, and Tyshawn kind of mentored him. The twins, Mario Little, Brady … all of them care about these kids. I text Tyshawn the other day after he had 12 (points for NBA’s Brooklyn Nets). He texts me back. I said, ‘We’ve got to get Elijah going.’ He said, ‘I know, coach. I’m talking to him.’ These guys stay in contact. I think having those guys back will help him a little bit.”

KU will meet Oklahoma State at 8 p.m. Wednesday at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

Randle visit: Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, who arrived for his campus visit Saturday, remained in town Sunday. Randle, who has a final list of KU, Florida, Texas, Kentucky, N.C. State and Oklahoma, could be added to the roster of the McDonald’s All-America game if he shows he’s healthy in the next few weeks, zagsblog.net reports. He has returned to action from a foot fracture. Randle scored 19 points while playing just 20 minutes in his Senior Day game at Prestonwood on Friday.

“What we’ll certainly do with Julius — one of the great players in the country, no question, a legitimate four-year man — we’ll take a real good look and see how he comes back physically,” Morgan Wootten of the McDonald’s game told SNY.tv. “That’s the key. Everybody knows he can play. It’s just a question of whether he’s physically sound or not.”

Comments

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey, I want one of those chicken head masks, too!!

Good to see the guys having fun, and playing like a team that knows how to run and make things happen on BOTH ends of the floor!!

Also LOVE the alums coming back and showing their love and support for their team. They may be gone from AFH but they are Jayhawks forever!! Having a bunch of them around during the summers, playing with each other and the current team members in those unofficial games at AFH, etc... Pure gold for the ongoing team growth year-round.

As always, ROCK CHALK!!!

nostradavid 1 year, 9 months ago

You can find the chicken head mask here. Cardinal, pigeon, duck, squirrel, horse, unicorn and others are also available. Read the ad copy for each one, it's always funny. http://mcphee.com/shop/chicken-head-mask.html#Details

Fits most adult heads. Practice clucking, strutting and pecking for grain. Take caution near foxes and carnival geeks.

You know you want this mask. Go ahead, buy it. Come on... what are you, chicken?

Jack Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

Nostra > What a great last line!!! Hope you get a commission as a result of what I'm sure will be a huge run on Chicken Head masks > knowing just how wild and crazy we Jayhawkers can be.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

Great to see the Jayhawks get back into their groove, but I don't see how this game helps recruiting at all, especially with Randle. First off, he's expressed a strong desire to win a championship in his almost guaranteed one year sojourn. Kansas will lose all five starters and return only minimally game-experienced players. Check with Texas and Kentucky on how that's working out for them.

Speaking of minimal game experience, what's up with the "one and done" (one mistake and you're done for the day) treatment of Rio? Especially with a comfortable lead most of the second half. Was Bill really afraid that Texas' team of freshmen and sophomores was going to make a serious run if one of our young players got a few minutes experience?

Add to that the Ellis/Peters effect. Both players whose game I'm sure Randle is quite familiar with, who have struggled (though Perry did have a decent game) or have just had bad luck at Kansas. I don't see how that can have a positive affect on Randle's decision.

And finally, having to watch a handful of coach's kids get PT while Rio rides the pine for one mistake. It's the same basic problem I've had with Bill's coaching for the last few years--you've got players you know you're going to need next year, but you can't get them any game experience even though you're blowing teams out by 20. And I still say that treatment is the reason we've never seen EJ live up to the expectations we had for him when he first came here.

Anyway, don't be surprised to see Randle take his game elsewhere.

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

KULA,

I am not a big fan of the public undressing of Rio Adams, especially on such a big stage. However, he did turn the ball over the only time he brought the ball up the court. I would have liked to have seen him back in the game.

Now, if Coach Self puts him in the game at the end, it would have been for "scrub minutes", which may have been an even greater embarrassment to Rio Adams. Rio Adams will be key player on this team in the future. Rio, like Frankamp and Frank Mason also dropped 50 points in a game in High School, so the potential is there, he just needs to get used to the speed of the game (which of course can only come through game experience, go figure?). Tharpe went through a similar treatment last year, and he seems to have come through it fine. Recently Mario Chalmers talked about not being able to get the ball across the half court stripe in his first game. We may not always agree with what Coach Self does, but his system does appear to work. It has been said that "In order to lead, you must prove that you can follow". We are always in the discussion for a National Championship every year since he has been here. So I can appreciate that.

As far as EJ living up to the expectations we had for him when he first came here...he has met mine. He stayed four years, will more than likely earn his degree, and is always seeking self improvement. Basketball is a game, this young man is ready for life. He knows he can play better and he will. He is a winner, it looked like he toyed with Texas in the lane the last game, we will need more of that going forward. Sooner or later, his jump shot has to fall. As long as he can still shoot in domes, I am good with it.

If Randle decides to go to another school, that's on him and family. I hope he chooses the school that is the best fit for him. If it is KU fine, if not that's fine too.

Next year's team will be fine, you only need to look at this year's team to recognize that. Losing Robinson, Taylor, Teahan, and eventually Peters, not to mention Lucas not playing this year, we are still a top ten team. Kansas always seems to find a way to get it done. My guess is Ellis improves much like Markieff Morris did after his Freshman Year, Lucas comes on strong after his redshirt year somewhere in between McLemore and Traylor. Rio turns on the jets and has a good year, and at least two Freshmen show up ready to play at the college level. Top 10 again next year. Go Jayhawks!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

not to mention we're gonig to see a LOT more of White III next year I suspect.

Might FINALLY have that dependable 3-pt. marksman we've been looking for, for years.

hawken 1 year, 9 months ago

McLemore is hitting 43% from 3. I think it's even higher in Big 12 play.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

Looks like Frankamp may be a dependable trey-shooter next year.

mdalesh 1 year, 9 months ago

Would someone send a copy of Darnell Jackson's Letter to KU fans to Randle? With a 7' Freshman coming up he would be great addition. Matter of fact Jackson's letter should be sent to any recruit with KU in their choices.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

HCBS has been pretty consistent in how he treats freshman after making careless mistakes. The good ones handle it and the others look elsewhere.

KULA 1 year, 9 months ago

To KansasComet & Ralster below, I'll agree that scrub minutes would do no good for Rio. But my argument is and has been since the 09-10 season, why can't some of these players, who you know you're going to need in the future, get some meaningful development minutes during the course of the game. Especially in games that you had control of. And there were plenty of those games in the '10 and '11 season. I expected to see (and was always disappointed not to see) EJ and Jeff and TRob get a few minutes with the starters in some of those games.

The reason I expected this is because Bill used such a rotation masterfully in the '08 season to bring Cole along. I still recall the regular rotation of Cole coming in at the 12 minute mark of each half and playing for four minutes with the big guys. And we all marveled at how that regular season experience paid off in the tournament, when Cole made a monkey out of Tyler Hansbrough.

I still daydream about what a difference a spot 3pt shooter or a 7ft shot blocker might have made in the '10 and '11 tournaments. And I think of all those blowouts we played in those seasons when EJ and Jeff didn't get off the bench and think, "What a waste."

And I look at our 3 game slump this year, and I dread a relapse of that kind of play in the tournament, because Rio and AW probably won't be ready to contribute. There's nothing like real game minutes to get over real game jitters. Jitters like Mario had in his first game. But he still ended up being part of the regular rotation that same season.

And I'll agree that Kansas basketball will be fine no matter what Randle decides. My point was that based on what he and I saw Saturday, I won't be surprised if he chooses elsewhere.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

This goes back a lot further than the 09-10 season. Russell Robinson was pulled often in his freshman season. Same with Micah Downs, Galindo, Cole Aldrich and Tyrel Reed. Even the Morris Twins and TRob were yanked, although to a lesser degree.

As I stated above, the good ones made it and the not so good players left.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow - such a negative post. Why not highlight any of the positives to bringing his talents to Lawrence? There isn't enough room on this forum to go through them all. To hit on a few... KU has made the NCAA tourny each of the past 23 years (current longest streak in NCAA), has had a winning season each of the last 30 years (current longest streak in NCAA), has the most winning seasons (94) in NCAA history, and the most division championships in Div 1 history (55). No other school has had more First Team All Americans in Division 1. Not to mention we have an elite Head Coach, some of the best fans you can get, are in the mix for the national championship every year, and this is Big Man U... Personally, I can't see why he would want to go anywhere else!

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

Regarding the check with Texas and Kentucky comment, it worked out pretty well for Kentucky last year, didn't it? It's all about having the right guys and the right coach. Calipari has gotten caught up in recruiting top 10 kids, some of whom have come in to the program as very selfish players and with this year's team, he's not been able to break them of those habits. Self would never allow guys like that to get 2/3 of the way through the season still playing selfish ball. Also, one of the things that has made Self great is his ability to put teams together with good chemistry. If a guy comes in for a visit and the players don't like him, Self backs away and stops recruiting them. He's even done that with blue chippers.

I have a feeling we'll be very good next year. It may take a month or two, but by mid season we will be very good.

JHawk74 1 year, 9 months ago

KULA,

We have had young teams in the past and they have always been good. Maybe we don't compete for a National Championship next year but I guarentee we will be in the hunt for another Big 12 title. I believe Ellis, Traylor, Tharpe, White, Lucas and Adams will be better players next year. Bill Self doesn't play freshman players very much unless he is forced too or they are exceptionally good (NBA type talent as a freshman). Next year will be one of those years that the true freshman will be required to play significant minutes. I'm sure Adams and White know their roles and are happy to be the best players on the scout team this year. McLemore was the best player on the scout team last year and now he is one of the best players in the country. Bill Self has a good system of developing young players. Withey was very raw when he came to Kansas, now he is one of the best defensive players in the country. Thomas Robinson and Morris Twins did not play very much their freshman years and they are now in the NBA. Bill Self has a proven track record and we need to let it play out. You shouldn't be predicting the future anyway. Would your perspective change if McLemore decided to stay 1 more year?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with the Rio statement - ESPECIALLY when on replay it didn't look so much of a steal as a kicked ball by Holland (the UT defender) that he got away with.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

agree - looked like a kicked ball to me too

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

didn't look like a kicked ball to me, looked like Rio dribbled it off of the defenders leg.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 9 months ago

If it's an inadvertent dribble off an opponent's foot it doesn't constitute being a "kicked ball." Whether a pass goes off a defender's foot or leg, the only time the ref's call a "kicked ball" is when the defender intentionally puts his leg in a position to deflect a pass. It's highly unusual for someone to try to get their foot under a dribbled ball (I don't recall ever seeing it happen except when attempting to impede a ball handler's forward progress), but blocking passes with one's leg/foot is common.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

KULA,

Thanks for the heads up. I now see that I've been lying to myself thinking that having Robinson, Marcus. Markieff, Cole, Arthur, Jackson, Kaun, and Simien all drafted to the NBA made for a good recruiting pitch to post players.

Now I see that Bill Self can't recruit.

jgkojak 1 year, 9 months ago

This has to do with him doing what he's asked to do by the coach.

He got out there and did a hotdog move (unnecessary behind the back crossover) when he could have pushed the ball up the court simply. I have a feeling that's the kind of stuff HCBS is trying to eliminate. And isn't this the 3rd or 4th time in a row he's come in and immediately turned it over?

ancient_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

It's not just dribbling the ball off of your foot. It's standing there watching your man pick up the ball for a run-out dunk. That will get you the pine every time when you play for Self.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 9 months ago

Coach is a teacher. I have no doubt there is dialog between him and Rio, something about if you do this, you come out. Pushing him to get better. Yes, it's tough love. But look at history. Robinson, both Thomas and Russell. His method works. That's why he gets the big bucks. Give it time and we'll likely see a much improved Rio Adams.

jjinks 1 year, 9 months ago

Damn the neighsayers! What was everyone expecting from this team last year? OK what was everybody expecting from this team a week ago? If they had all the players to win the Championship why play it? Get real we never know what Bill Self is going to get out of his players but you can guarantee it will be all that there is. How many times have people said next year won't be as good and then they come out fighting and winning. Just enjoy the ride that;s what it's all about, just watching young kids develop into men before your eyes. Of course some forget that as you could tell from the comments after they lost a few games.

Jack Jones 1 year, 9 months ago

I doubt anyone will be surprised if Randle decides "to take his game elsewhere". Even though I truly believe Kansas University is the premier college basketball program > success on the court + great young men off the court + number of players having success in the NBA following their KU playing days > tradition > past and present Head Coaches, etc > we face an uphill battle in the recruiting of 1,2,3 star - one-and-done kids. And, as we all know, that is due in large part to the East Coast media "bias" > more print and TV eyeballs + the even more egregious fact that everyone "Back East" obviously flunked Geography because they think the Mississippi River is the West Coast of the US.

Robbk1066 1 year, 9 months ago

Kulu you miss on most points here. Randle winning a championship, do any of the teams on his list sound like sure things, no, so this is a non issue. Rio - he made 3 mistakes, he was not mentally ready to play, he made the cardnial mistake of driving into the pressure instead of away from it and his most glarring one, his body langauge after he turned it over. He looked right over to the bench like he was not sure of what to do. It is then that Self pulls him out, almost to late. You sit him for the game to teach him the lesson of being ready. Randle again - this kid does not need anyone to help him, he is like BMAC, he will be able to play his game the way he wants, he does not care how Self treats someone who is not prepared, he is only about his game and how he fits in with the team. So if he goes to another school it wont be due to what happened on Sat. In fact look at what he saw, Gameday, player jersey retired, a blowout of Texas, 10+ NBA players behind bench, best strength coach in country featured. So you seem off base on all your points.

KUFan90 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe this Morgan Wootten joker from the McDonalds game can tell us why Connor Francamp didn't make the cut?

Michael Gentemann 1 year, 9 months ago

Morgan Wootten is the former coach at prennial power DeMatha High, where he won more basketball games than any coach at any level, ever I wouldn't call him a joker.

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

One evaluation (which I don't agree with) is ESPN's: They list Conner Francamp as their #10 point guard. End of story.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

That's because he's from the Midwest. If he was from New York, he'd be #1.

Jeff Smith 1 year, 9 months ago

If he was in NY, he wouldn't be putting up the numbers he does in Wichita KS

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Why is that? Do the NY'ers play a better brand of defense too?

Jeff Smith 1 year, 9 months ago

considering he probably wouldn't be the ONLY scoring option on his team like he is now.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

• Hopefully, this is the same attitude we bring for each basketball game.

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

Jayhawks Shake Funk when they win a couple of road games, exact revenge on TCU, and reclaim sole possession of 1st place in Big XII. Much too early to celebrate, long way to go. I am happy we are winning again, losing sucks!

wrwlumpy 1 year, 9 months ago

This is FAMILY. There is no difference in this communication and that of a father talking with his older son about his younger brother, to help him, talk to him.

Basketball is a game, but at Kansas it is a metaphor for life. Thses "Games" are seen by millions and the Kansas fanbase around the world who live and die with the Jayhawks. The pressure is incredible. Winning offers joy, losing offers lessons in life.

Jay Bilas, who I respect, during the game thinks Bill Self the best coach in the country. Wecome to the club Jay.

Parents of recruits, read the Self quote above.

FearlessJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope Randle saw the special segment on Saturday Game Day about Andrea Hudy. If he has physical problems, she is exactly what he needs. If he is serious about having a long term career, he better wise up and take advantage of her skills to get him in good physical condition.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"The Case of the Defunct Funk"

When you have eliminated all other possibilities, the remaining possibility, no matter how improbable, must be the answer. --Sherbate Holmes

Who, or what, is responsible for a team not playing remotely like itself for three games, then resuming as good as ever?

THE POSSIBILITIES:

1. Flu Made them do it--this seemed probable for a time, because one player, Jeff Withey, was admitted to have had flu at the beginning of the funk, and appeared sick. But no one else has appeared sick. Not.

2. EJ's knee made them do it--Self finally copped to the knee injury, and EJ's face looked puffy the way taking prednisone to reduce inflammation can do. But they looked awful when Naadir ran the team, too. Not.

3. Internal dissension made them do it--this often happens on teams, but none ever surfaced. Not.

4. Troubles of the heart made them do it--players (or coachs') troubles with ladies have broken teams' concentrations. Not even rumors of this have occurred. Not.

5. Coach leaving made them do it--no sign. Not.

6. Manning effect accumulated and made them do it--Manning showing for KSU coincided with end of funk, but KU started playing a little better against OU with out Manning. Not.

7. Offensive scheme made them do it--seemed plausible, but they are running same stuff after slump. Not.

8. Gamblers made them do it--lotsa dinero to be made by insiders knowing a top team will take 3 straight dives, as top teams usually bounce back to beat the spread, but my KU is a paragon of virtue and would never do this. Not. Never.

9. Self getting them a loss to keep them humble has it cascade made them do it--coaches too clever by half--have been known to let their teams take a beating they can afford to blood them for a stretch run. Confidence gets shaken. Chemistry gets lost. Inept stretch. Not Self's style. Has always preferred a bad W to a good L. Not.

REMAINING POSSIBILITY:

1. Biased Random Runs Made Them Do It--flip a coin and you will see more than one head, or more than one tail, in a row frequently. Because a coin toss has two possible outcomes and is intentionally randomized by flipping, these runs still tend to result in 50/50 outcomes over time. But, if a coin were weighted to come up heads 84% of the time, and tails 16% of the time, there would still be occassional runs of heads and tails observed in achieving this 84/16 tendency of weighted outcome. Think of KU as a weighted coin. The biasing weights are talent, effort, coaching, home crowd, legacy, the phog, etc. Sickness and injury are random for all teams over the long term, but do cause what appear as short term biases. The team plays in two-outcome events called basketball games. They can win or lose. Though they win 84% of the time because of the weighting, they still have within this biased framework opportunity for short runs of losing and long runs of winning. Or what may be called a biased randomness.

Elementary, Watson

nostradavid 1 year, 9 months ago

Please keep it elementary, Sherbate. Statistical analysis makes my head hurt. Slumps don't need a trigger; they just envelop a team like a mayonnaise malaise. Reaction time slows, thought processes bog down - and the tortoise sprints right on by. (A random virus or two, and the unknown reactions to meds trying to mask the symptoms, could have easily contributed.) The weighted coin is a good metaphor - even when it's dropping into the Monte Carlo number generator.

Playing KState is a surefire cure for whatever ails a Jayhawk this time of year. You knew that game would break the streak.

Now the only worry our players have is: what to wear in the next nutty dance video. Here's what I would wear:

Hello! ma baby

Hello! ma baby by nostradavid

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Randle's estimated height in KU inches? 6-10 1/2

Therefore: Randle should come to KU for the height bump, because it will get him drafted higher and make him more money. :-)

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

lol are you kidding? Randle is a footer on a KU roster.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm very positive about our season, I know we struggled and am nervous about going on the road. However, what I think is the best, even during our big long winning streak (17-18 games), we were just coasting by (winning by a bucket here and there). The past two games were clear who was the better team. If we continue to get better in the second half of conference play, we'll be right where we want to be come tournament time.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Hypothesis: the team video broke Self out of HIS slump, not the players' slump.

Self was experiencing some middle age burn out and grieving not being young anymore. His effervescent optimism gave way to his perfectionist streak. He kept getting harder and more scathing till he wasn't fun anymore. His players finally quit playing for him, because no matter what they did he was negative. Cin probably talked to Norm and said the team ought do something fun to shake him out of it. Norm mentioned it to Justin. Justin got it together. This has a woman's insight to it. Sometimes youth is the only antidote to old age, and vice versa. Some times men save women and sometimes women save men. This is why we all need each other.

Note: this could be thought of as a more intuitive, less Sherbative approach to the issue. :-)

Kent Richardson 1 year, 9 months ago

If Zubarity, who always seemed to be one step ahead of Sherbate, as the attacker usually has the edge. It is simply that this team can be inept offensively for long periods. Sherbate exclaims, "Come Watson, the game is afoot."

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

I didn't understand that comment, either. I think he may have meant that he has been a top of the class guy for all four years in high school, so he is a definite blue-chip, McD's AA caliber kid and would be a great addition to the game roster.

Kye Clark 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it means he's been legitimately productive and deserving of McD's AA status based on his 4-year high school career. I can't imagine why he'd be speculating as to how much time any player would spend in college.

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

I think as far back as I can remember KU has had a funk, well malybe not 97 until the AZ game(sorry for the bad memories).

Last year it was the Puke game in Maui and the mizzlose game on the road. The year before that the funk was Thomas Robinsons family and the hell he went through.

It's not so much how you got yourself into the funk, but how you get yourself out of the funk. This team tried a 3 hour meeting with the coaches and film, didn't work. They had a players only meeting, didn't work. They took things too serious for a game. When they loosened up, got a little funk-aayyy with it they started playing to win games and not to lose the Conference title, not to lose at home, they played to win.

Now that our funk and been funktified, watch out here comes KU!!

Rock Chalk

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

Heading into the w/e I was optimistic with our chances for Randle. I was, however, hoping we would hear a comment from Randle about his visit by now - even if only the typical recruit-speak of "had a great time" or whatever. As far as I've seen, nothing on Twitter or anywhere else.

Its next to impossible to know whats going on or get a read on where we stand, but the impression from afar seems less than favorable. I mean if after experiencing AFH you can't tweet about it, why have Twitter?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

I think we pretty much screwed up our recruiting effort with Julius by just how bad Texas is. Julius knows that he is better than anyone they have RIGHT NOW and that he will get 40 minutes on the court, play where and however he wants and be a hero in his home state and never have to buy a lunch or a beer again!! :)

Luca Rossi 1 year, 9 months ago

One would think he would have interest in WINNING something though, no? Even with Kevin Durant the best Texas could do is 3rd in the B12 and lose early in the NCAA tourny.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd be shocked if he goes to TX, but what do I know

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 9 months ago

Apparently a lot...that is if you're an actual M.D. :)

dehawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Forgetting two things. First, one man can't carry the team. Second, Baksetball is not big in Texas. It will always be football. So unless he is another KD, I don't expect free lunch for life.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

It's not big in Texas because they stink at it.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Even when UT made the Final Four 10 years ago, they only sold out when KU or another elite program came to town.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

You've probably scrolled down below & seen. But he didn't even leave 'til like mid-day today. Wouldn't surprise me if being with the 'rents they told him to put his phone away! :) lol

kerbyd 1 year, 9 months ago

I was just thinking of the analogy of CS as "father" of this team. It would be very tough to adopt a new family every year the way he has to. When I was 16 my father was dumber than dirt. By the time I reached 30 I was amazed at how smart he had become. However, it was not my dad who had changed, it was me. Sometimes maybe CS just forgets he has a new set of "kids" he needs to teach his "stuff".

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

An ESPN article from Dave Telep .. Randle is supposedly staying on his visit through today. Telep said he had swapped texts. No other info. Just talks about that he will be a high impact signing for whoever gets him.

Regarding Frank Mason, this article also states that post grad players were not included in the ESPN 100, and Telep says that Mason is the kind of player that can attack off of ball screens, and should pair nicely with Frankamp. Suggests he's one of five post grad guys to follow next season.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Some love for Frank Mason, but he still is just #134 according to Rivals. Does Rivals give Prep Schoolers the Juco treatment? Self doesn't have much expereince coaching Juco transfers at KU, but Appleton and Little didn't give us what we thought we were going to get.

My expectations remain low.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Little probably would have been a lot better for us if he had taken the medical redshirt during his first year and then played two full years at KU. Instead played half a year at less than 100%.

I expected more from the #1 rated JUCO player in the country. Appleton I believe was the #3 JUCO player that year.

Now I know that whether freshman or JUCO transfer no one reaches their ceiling in their first year in Coach Self's program. In the post Xavier and post Selby era I've learned to temper my expectations for newcomers.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Where do they have to be ranked on Rivals in order to be KU-worthy?

McLemore was ranked #34, I believe.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

you're trying to trap me.

You know as well as I do that there's a difference between the #34 player and the #134 player in the rankings. Unless of course the #134 player does not get scouted because he's a post-high school recruit.

That said that NBA drafts 60 players every year. The simplest accounting would say that hypothetically, if those 60 draftees were all added to their NBA rosters, that 60 players would have to be removed from rosters each year as well. Thus the flux is that 60 high school players a year are eventual NBA players... so recruiting from the top 60 High School players seems like a pretty good start.

We all know that Bill Self generally recruits the best players first, and when they are no longer available he moves to the next best options. Self didn't initially target Mason, or Tharpe for that matter, not being neither of them were in the Top 60, but because niether of them were in the top 5 at their position in their class. So he recruited them late because he saw skill and he saw potential, and we all know that he's as good a judge of talent as he is a developer of talent. So when he brings in guys like Mason I expect him to be a guy that either will be developed or will leave the program, because he wasn't someone who was anywhere near the top of Self's 2013 recruiting list back in 2011, or even 2010 when Self really began recruiting the class of 2012 hard.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

plastic - i'm seriously not trying to trap you, I was just asking a question. My feeling is that if Bill Self deems them worthy of bringing to KU they have something going for them regardless of their Rival's ranking.

I'm a basketball fan and not a guru, I don't know what to look for in these guys, but I'm very, very glad that Bill Self does. He obviously looks for character and other intangibles that make for a complete college basketball player.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

This news seems Harlem Shake worthy HEM

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm really bored today - just for something to talk about, does anyone have any idea how all these young guys pay for their tattoos? The last one I got was $550 - it's about the size of the one pictured on Travis' left shoulder. There must be a million dollars worth of ink on any basketball court in America on a given night.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

yikes. I had no idea those things were so expensive. I guess college students can get bank loans for things like that right?

Hopefully these guys aren't selling memorabilia for tattoos. I'm guessing that someone gives them a HUGE discount... I'm sure that Bill Self has looked into the legality of such tattoo purchases.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not a tattoo guy myself, but I always find it interesting what the players choose to display in body ink, Is there website location when the KU guys have shown their tattoos? Preferably one that doesn't have any NSFW content.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

If you get a tattoo done by a friend or somebody just learning how to tattoo, you can get really good deals on tattoos. I also have a feeling that tattoos may be one of those things the NCAA pretty much turns a blind eye to unless someone is being incredibly stupid about it like the OSU players were.

SCHNBALL 1 year, 9 months ago

Anyone know the song for the music they play for the decibel level before the start of the game and before the 2nd half?

Michael Sillman 1 year, 9 months ago

All that I can say is thank goodness that KU recruits don't make their decision based on reading the postings on this website.

The key factors for Randle to make his decision are where will he get the best coaching, where will he develop the most physicially, where will he find the best fit in teammates, and where will he get the most exposure.

Considering those factors, KU has as good a chance as any school at securing his commitment.

AsadZ 1 year, 9 months ago

Big game on Wed, winner to take sole possession of 1st place.

From D standpoint key to this game will be on stopping Marcus Smart. I am wondering who will be assigned on him? Can EJ/Tharpe contain him?

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Might need to shake things up and have Rely on him & Mc on M.Brown. Would leave EJ/Tharpe on whoever else is in the backcourt - P.Forte?

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

The winner won't take sole possession of 1st place unless KSU loses to WVU tonight.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

As long as K-State keeps winning we will still be tied with them even if we beat OSU. Edit: Sorry, Texashawk. We must have posted at the same time.

HAWKS1 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree....I would put Releford on him. He is our best on-ball defender and his height advantage will be helpful. Of course, he will need some help occasionally, but I still think he is our best bet. Mc is getting better at D and could switch up with Rely some. EJ may be able to handle him for short periods also. Tharpe is just too small.....Smart would eat him up imho RCJH

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 9 months ago

I would be shocked to see Randle commit to Kansas, it not going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I would love for it to happen but I just don't see it. I think we may have a better chance of getting Wiggins than we do Randle.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

I want to amend my previous post, now that I think about it. Julius also saw who was coming back for Kansas and realized he was better now than anyone!! He is both the missing piece for the returnees and for the 2013 Recruiting Class.

Question for the ages and don't rush to an answer. Who has more influence over a recruit's decison..his mother or his AAU Coach??!!

I think we hava a chance, but I've got a feeling we are going to be, once again, the second last hat left on the table!! :(

Yonatan Negash 1 year, 9 months ago

Kansas would be a great fit for either Wiggins or Randle (especially next year). Either one would be the center piece of a young but well coached Kansas team. Hopefully, we can benefit from what BMac is doing this year as a freshmen. Meaning, it may convince Randle or Wiggins, they too can come in and do the same.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 9 months ago

Man, my new job is cutting into my KUSports.com time ! :)

Seeing Kevin's awesome fro reminds me of the greatness of Starsky & Hutch and Shaft from back in the day. Sure do miss the late 70s and 80s!

AZHawk72 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd bet on Wiggins settling with his "first love," Florida-State. Besides, he's Canadian and probably just wants to check out the states, eh. And this recruiting class, great that it is, already has a bit of a "Wing U" feel about it.

Now, if Arthur had also returned with the crew and sang his rendition of "I had too much to dream last night," we'd probably already have our sixth and final recruit.