Sunday, February 17, 2013

UT laments shooting woes

Longhorns hit just 21.8 percent of shots

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after win over Texas

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 73-47 victory over Texas on Feb. 17, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Texas

After it was over, Texas men’s basketball coach Rick Barnes joked with Kansas coach Bill Self that Self was running up the score by putting his son, Tyler, into the game late.

Barnes didn’t have much reason to smile after that, especially at the postgame news conference when trying to explain his team’s performance in a 73-47 loss to KU on Saturday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

“We didn’t simply mentally do the things we wanted to get done on either end,” Barnes said. “That’s the thing that bothers me.”

According to StatSheet.com, the worst field-goal percentage for Texas in the last 16 seasons was a 29.2-percent mark against Georgetown earlier this year.

The Longhorns weren’t even close to that Saturday, making just 21.8 percent of their field goals (12 of 55).

The 21.8-percent accuracy, according to StatSheet, was the 12th-worst shooting performance by a Div. I team this year.

“I think we have to give them credit with their defense, but we had a lot of looks that we would have liked to make,” Barnes said. “But you have to make them.”

Texas’ players also left thinking that they didn’t take advantage of the opportunities they had.

“I have a pretty good feeling we had a lot of open shots,” UT freshman forward Ioannis Papapetrou said. “We missed a lot of them, and when we miss shots and don’t get defensive rebounds, then you put it on your defense.

“When they start making shots and feel confident and the crowd gets going, it was really tough to stop them.”

Afterward, Barnes also was miffed with the officiating, especially when he felt a drive by Myck Kabongo should have drawn a second foul on KU’s Ben McLemore in the first half.

“Plays like that can change the course of a game,” Barnes said. “Now, I don’t know if it would have made us shoot the ball better, but I’d feel a whole lot better if he was sitting over there.

“Those are things as coaches you try to do. You’re going to try to go after certain players. You hope that you put fouls on them. But sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn’t.”

Asked about KU, Barnes gave the Jayhawks credit, saying he’d always loved the way that Self’s teams play.

“If you ask me, I’d say they’re as good as anybody in the country,” Barnes said. “But I think this is the year, and I’ve said it from Day One, I think it’s a year where there’s a lot of teams that can do something special in March. I don’t think there’s a dominant team.

“I think Kansas has as good a chance as anybody, especially when they execute.”

Comments

fansincewilt 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Rick. If Kansas can do what they do and not get into a funk, they have a very good chance of winning it all. I don't see any team out there that is better than all the rest. The defense last night could have been the best defense played by a Kansas team against a quality Div. 1 program.

Robert Brock 4 years, 7 months ago

The Horns had plenty of open shots; they just didn't make them. On the other hand, Withey plugged up the lane pretty good. UT was left with outside shots and not much more.

yates33333 4 years, 7 months ago

Right!

KU didn't play very good first half despite a 13 point lead. Texas played awful!

Andy Godwin 4 years, 7 months ago

Complaining about the officials is a classic Barnes when KU got little home cooking. Texas scored nearly half their points from the line (21 for 32) and without the officials keeping it close would have been an even more pathetic offense performance.

bayareajhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I was at the game and felt like UT was missing wide open jumpers constantly. Kabongo was driving and kicking to wide open shooters at will. They just couldn't get anything to fall. We played some great D on some possessions, but that should have been a close game for at least the first 30 minutes. Iowa State probably would have beaten us with that many open threes.

AirCapJay 4 years, 7 months ago

If we play as badly against OSU next week as we did last night, we will lose again. Texas was awful. TCU could have beat Texas last night. We should not kid ourselves. We did not beat a good team at all.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 7 months ago

I'd settle for playing that "badly" any day of the week. Our defense may not have been quite as dominant as the percentages would suggest, but it was still pretty damn good. On Wednesday, if we can shoot 46 percent from the field with four players in double figures, and our point guards give us 7 assists to 1 turnover, I'm going to feel good about our chances.

texashawk10 4 years, 7 months ago

Texas is one of the worst jump shooting teams in the country and Self gambled a bit that UT would shoot true to form and focus on clogging the lane. It worked as UT couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat last night and they struggled to get any kind of a good look in the paint so Self's gambled paid off last night.

yates33333 4 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully, Coach Self with take the view of AirCapJay and get KU to play much better against OSU. I think AirCapJay may be right. At least last night we did not beat a good team. OSU is much, much better, especially at home.

hawk_of_ages 4 years, 7 months ago

Self doesn't seem to agree with AirCapJay that we played "badly." Nor do I.

It certainly is possible that we could play well and still lose at Stillwater, however. It will be interesting to see if they can light it up against us the way they did at our place.

Jackster 4 years, 7 months ago

I was at the game and if I am not mistaken, we went in at half shooting 50% on our 3's. There were a couple of scoring lags throughout the first half for us....and certainly for Texas.....but I thought we looked very good overall. The atmosphere was incredible with Mario, several other KU pro's, the student body excitement, and the videos throughout the game were awesome. I cannot imagine Randle going elsewhere after last night. He saw the love we have for our past Jayhawks, current players, and the student body chanting his name several times..."We want Randle". It was great. He has to know that he would be a rockstar at KU. Even Jay B. and Digger P. said this was one of, if not the best, college venues in the country. I am proud to be a Jayhawk and my son is absolutely hooked (no pun intended).

kusports1 4 years, 7 months ago

Seriously?!? We did what you are supposed to do to bad teams.....beat them badly. Yes, they missed open shots but so did we and we missed free throws. But, come on, we did not play badly at all. We caused a lot of UT's efficiencies. Stop griping and enjoy the fact that we blew out a team we should blow out!