Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ex-KU basketball player Eskridge dies at 89

— Former Kansas University basketball player Jack Eskridge has died at age 89. Eskridge, who died Monday, played two seasons at KU in the 1940s. He averaged 7.6 points per game in 1947-48 and was an assistant under Phog Allen in the 1950s.

Eskridge is credited with designing the famed blue star logo of the Dallas Cowboys. The funeral for the former Cowboys equipment manager is scheduled for this morning at Carson-Speaks Chapel in Independence, Mo.

According to the team website, Eskridge was one of coach Tom Landry’s first hires in 1959, the year before the Cowboys’ debut season. It was he who designed the white-bordered blue star used after the Cowboys began with a white star. Eskridge remained with the Cowboys until 1973.

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 7 years, 8 months ago

RIP Mr Eskridge. This is the first time I hear your name, but I'm hoping KU will do something about it - showing some kind of respects - amidst KU vs Texas, instead of only retiring Super Mario's jersey. Rock Chalk!

5yardfuller 7 years, 8 months ago

Jack Eskridge, one of only three players in KU history to score 30 points in one half. Wilt Chamberlain and Walt Wesley are the other two. Eskridge did it in 1948, when it was extremely rare to even score 30 in a whole game. He helped recruit Chamberlain and was an assistant under Dick Harp as well as Phog Allen.

ccarp 7 years, 8 months ago

I read that Phog Allen sent Jack Eskridge to Philly to recruit Wilt Chamberlain. Dr Allen asked Eskridge to have Chamberlain stand bare foot and for Jack to make sure Wilt was truly 7 feet tall. Can you imagine reporting back to Dr Allen to confirm Mr Chamberlain's amazing stature? Rock Chalk!

okiedave 7 years, 8 months ago

I recall Jack Eskridge as a child growning up in Lawrence. He and his wife were friends of my parents and attended our church. During Tornado alerts in the 1950's, we would go over to their house and sit in their basement during tornado alerts. Very nice man and family. After the Eskridge family moved to Texas, we had no other choice (since we did not have a basement) except to go to the KANU radio tower on the hill next to pioneer cemetary and see if we could spot the tornado's coming (which was more fun for us kids).

TheBoHawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Haha...I can't decide whether or not I miss the thrill of the purple blue sky of an Eastern KS thunderstorm in late April or not........why lie.. I miss it more than I could ever say...... Love, bored in NC

Whatleys_Moustache 7 years, 8 months ago

I got to know Coach Eskridge as a junior high school student of his in Texas in the mid-80's. He had a job that suited him well - he always could tell a good story and going to his history class in 9th grade was always a treat to hear him talk about all the world events that he had witnessed. I had the privilege of playing for him on the football field as well - he was always there to motivate and push us to do our best. At the time I had no idea that he was a KU grad let alone part of KU Basketball history - he just never brought that up.

It wasn't until a few years back when Coach Eskridge was mentioned in a LJW article as being present at a KU BBall reunion where it hit me that I sat in this man's class for a year and not once did I hear him mention KU or his exploits as athlete on the KU Basketball team! If only I had known then what I know now, I would have have loved the opportunity to sit down and hear his stories...

RIP Coach Eskridge, thank you for being a fantastic role model to the youth you came across in life!

Robert Brock 7 years, 8 months ago

Fascinating stuff. Where in Texas was he teaching and coaching??

Jack Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

Terrific comments and stories about player/coach Eskridge. Always appreciate the pieces about former Jayhawks and the recollections each of you bring to our attention. Just one more example of a CLASSY UNIVERSITY AND A CLASSY GROUP OF JAYHAWK FANS.

MinnesotaJay 7 years, 8 months ago

I was among the first to read this piece. At the time, there were no comments, and I didn't leave one either. However, I just noticed that Jack Eskridge's death is one of the top Yahoo searches, due primarily to his having designed the Dallas Cowboys' logo. I'm glad I checked back in to see all of the great comments. What a colorful life this gentleman had! KU is honored that he was a Jayhawk.