Advertisement

Advertisement

Thursday, February 14, 2013

KU signee Wayne Selden chosen for 2013 McDonald’s All-American game

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Advertisement

Kansas men's basketball signee Wayne Selden is one of 24 high school basketball players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game. The rosters for the East and West squads were announced Thursday.

Selden, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Roxbury, Mass., orally committed to KU basketball on Oct. 15, 2012. He is ranked No. 26 in his class by Rivals.com.

The 36th annual McDonald's boys game will be played at 8:30 p.m. CST on April 3 in Chicago.

Comments

BorderRuffianInChicago 1 year, 1 month ago

Sure, good coaching and a hot team can get you to a Nat Championship w/o a bunch of Mickey D's (although we ended up having a lottery pick on last years squad and two All-Americans) but the 2008 team had what, 8 pro's and 4 MD's on it? As we have learned this year (and a little last year), not having the Mickey D guys can give you a pretty thin margin of error. Not a huge deal, but talent makes up for a lot. That being said Embiid (from what I have read on Scout) would have been a top 10 guy had he been noticed a year earlier and Frankamp is going to be a stud and should be an MD'er. So actually we probably have 3 and possibly 4 MD talent guys. Depending on how quickly Embiid progresses, we could still be very good. I'm thinking next year looks a lot like the '06-'07 year with Rio and Rush etc...Landing Randle would be huge, but he sounds (for what that is worth) like NC State is where he is going. Wiggins seems like a lock for FSU as both his parents are legends there, etc..

0

Sally Presson 1 year, 1 month ago

I hope I'm still around when Calipari gets his right between the eyes. And Kentucky will be on probation, scholarships taken away. His time will come

0

Kent Noble 1 year, 1 month ago

With Coach Calipari promissing these 5 Mc Donalds All American prospects starting postions, could cause major problems next season. Noel is the only legit NBA player. What is last years Mc Donalds All Americans going to do next year when these other recruits coming in knowing they are suppost to start. Eventually coach Cal is going to dig himself a hole he can't get out of. Promises, Promises and more Promises!!!

0

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 1 month ago

Righteous comment kD. While we fans may not put too much emphasis on McD honors, I gotta believe HS players do, and as competitive and dedicated as CF seems to be, I'm sure he has a small chip on his shoulder.

0

midwest_muser 1 year, 1 month ago

I could be wrong but teams don't get any points in next years games for having recruits play in this game do they? We'll be fine with the guys we have and maybe one more...

0

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 1 month ago

If Ellis and get some love, and make the McD's list last year, why not Conner! Great for Selden (could be better than Marcus Smart) to make the list, and for Embiid to make the Jordan Classic.

Come to think of it, we could have our own "McJayhawks All American" team anyway. Who wouldn't love to see Selden, Frankamp, Greene, Randle and Embiid play against the other McD's teams?

0

Sam Constance 1 year, 1 month ago

Further evidence that the McD's AA game is a popularity contest more than a selection of the sport's best 24 high school players.

Frankamp gets no love from the ESPN 100 rankings (currently 47th for a guy who, as others have pointed out, is scoring 37/gm and was the best player on a gold-medal team), so it should come as no surprise that he gets no love from the McD's AA game.

It does make me wonder if the McD's AA selection committee (or however they decide who goes) consults with ESPN in selecting their players. My completely unfounded guess would be yes.

0

Tony Bandle 1 year, 1 month ago

My pitch to Julius would be simple..we lose an entire starting line-up and the only semi-sure spot is point guard for next season. You have the opportunity to not only see major playing time, not only start as a combo wing/power forward/big man, but similar to BenMac, you have an opportunity to be the "go to" guy.

National exposure won't be a problem [numerous Big Mondays, games against Duke and Georgetown], #2 rated recruiting class coming in with you, best coach, best venue, best fans AND our team beauty is Olivia Wilde..those other guys have an old, dried up Ashley Judd!!

2

KansasComet 1 year, 1 month ago

HEM posted an ESPN list yesterday I believe? I think Selden Jr. is the only incoming Jayhawk listed in their top 25? That may have something to do with the invite? After all, ESPN does broadcast the event.

0

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 1 month ago

Average 37 ppg in highschool and lead a u-17 team that featured both Jabari Parker AND Dakari Johnson to a gold medal as the leading scorer and play maker... What else do you have to do to be a McD's AA these days? Maybe they wanted actual competition at the 3pt contest, cause Frankamp was going to blow that one away. Sorry Connor, this was a total snub. I'm not that surprised that Embiid didn't make the cut because he's only been around for a short while, and whether he picks us or not, Randle deserved to make the team, injured or otherwise. Frankamp though... total snub.

0

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 1 month ago

Anyone here mention Frankamp yet?

3

Kent Noble 1 year, 1 month ago

Frankamp should be a McDonalds All American, but like jhox said if your not from the coast they don't know you exist.

0

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

When do oral commits turn in a letter of intent? and when does the spring signing period start?

Congrats Wayne, will have to watch the game for sure now.

0

MinorThreat 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankamp would light the McDonalds game up.

1

phins13td 1 year, 2 months ago

This kid is going to be a beauty.

1

Jason Njoroge 1 year, 2 months ago

Conner Frankamp got completely screwed!

3

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 2 months ago

Pup35, I'd say not good. Just my opinion but if you read the comments made, Randle seems set on NC State or UT. I think he's like to go to UK but sees too many stars there already. I'd say we rank last on his active list but could be wrong.

As for Wiggins, it's more difficult. I think FSU is the leader but could see us as his #2. Problem is we can guys already at the #2 and #3 spot and he knows it. He'd almost certainly start before them but... it could hinder him. Having BMac turn into such a star shows it is feasible at KU. That will help.

I'd like to think we can get Randle given our need for a star big man but I think our odds are better with Wiggins. Ultimately, though, I'd say it's about a 75% chance we miss on both. I put that at 5% on Randle and 20% we get Wiggins.

0

Kevin Studer 1 year, 2 months ago

Frankamp is scoring 37 PPG. He should be playing.

4

pup35 1 year, 2 months ago

What's the scoop on Andrew Wiggins? Do we have a shot? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

0

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

Shockingly UK has 5 prospects participating in the game.

0

Boouk 1 year, 2 months ago

Why are Isaac Hamilton (UTEP) and Jarrell Martin (LSU) in the game instead of Joel Embiid?

0

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

Anyone surprised Aaron Gordon hasn't decided yet? Thought it was down to KU and Washington.

0

jhox 1 year, 2 months ago

Congratulations to Wayne! Bring home the MVP trophy.

I'm a little surprised Frankamp didn't make it with his stats, not to mention his leading the 17 and under National team in scoring last summer. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Kansas isn't located on a coast.

6

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 2 months ago

Proud to be a JHawk and see players reppin Kansas in the McDonald's game.

1

REHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Congratulations, Wayne. KU Fandom awaits your arrival.

3

AsadZ 1 year, 2 months ago

Surprised not to see Randle on the list

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.