Thursday, February 14, 2013

KU signee Wayne Selden chosen for 2013 McDonald’s All-American game

Wayne Selden, middle front row, sits behind the bench during Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse. Selden was one of 24 players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game.

Kansas men's basketball signee Wayne Selden is one of 24 high school basketball players selected for the 2013 McDonald's All-American game. The rosters for the East and West squads were announced Thursday.

Selden, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Roxbury, Mass., orally committed to KU basketball on Oct. 15, 2012. He is ranked No. 26 in his class by Rivals.com.

The 36th annual McDonald's boys game will be played at 8:30 p.m. CST on April 3 in Chicago.

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 6 months ago

I heard it was Selden & Joel, what did happen to Embiid?

JayhawkLifer 1 year, 6 months ago

They were both picked for the Jordan Brand Classic

bhol 1 year, 6 months ago

I love how in this pic the guy on the far right is not at all impressed, but Wayne is almost smiling like he knows this is where he's going.

holtzymal 1 year, 6 months ago

"the guy on the far right" is JoJo Embiid. He knew where he was going too.

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

Surprised not to see Randle on the list

billhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The article indicates he's been injured almost all year.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations, Wayne. KU Fandom awaits your arrival.

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 6 months ago

Proud to be a JHawk and see players reppin Kansas in the McDonald's game.

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations to Wayne! Bring home the MVP trophy.

I'm a little surprised Frankamp didn't make it with his stats, not to mention his leading the 17 and under National team in scoring last summer. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since Kansas isn't located on a coast.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone surprised Aaron Gordon hasn't decided yet? Thought it was down to KU and Washington.

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

He's down to Washington, Arizona and UK.

Kent Noble 1 year, 6 months ago

Coach Calipari will show up with his brief case full of cash, and Aaron Gordon will pick UK. What amazes me is when players commit to other schools and the following week they decide to go to UK. Sounds alittle fishy to me why players change there minds at the last minute. When a player chooses another school most coaches leave the recruit alone not UK. Come on we all know that coach Calipari dont cheat!

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

If UK gets Wiggins or Randle then Gordon's probably going to Arizona or UW. He's a consolation prize in case they miss out on Wiggins and Randle.

kufaninmo 1 year, 6 months ago

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

Why are Isaac Hamilton (UTEP) and Jarrell Martin (LSU) in the game instead of Joel Embiid?

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

Shockingly UK has 5 prospects participating in the game.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Good luck to them in next year's NIT.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

I think this will a case where Calipari has over-recruited. No way UK has spots for the incoming group unless some are sent packing.

pup35 1 year, 6 months ago

What's the scoop on Andrew Wiggins? Do we have a shot? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 6 months ago

Frankamp is scoring 37 PPG. He should be playing.

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 6 months ago

Pup35, I'd say not good. Just my opinion but if you read the comments made, Randle seems set on NC State or UT. I think he's like to go to UK but sees too many stars there already. I'd say we rank last on his active list but could be wrong.

As for Wiggins, it's more difficult. I think FSU is the leader but could see us as his #2. Problem is we can guys already at the #2 and #3 spot and he knows it. He'd almost certainly start before them but... it could hinder him. Having BMac turn into such a star shows it is feasible at KU. That will help.

I'd like to think we can get Randle given our need for a star big man but I think our odds are better with Wiggins. Ultimately, though, I'd say it's about a 75% chance we miss on both. I put that at 5% on Randle and 20% we get Wiggins.

petey55 1 year, 6 months ago

What guys do you have slated at the #2 or #3 spot? I guarantee you Wiggins isn't worried about any #2 or #3 we have on the roster already.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

IF we DID get Wiggins I would think we'd have to roll out this lineup:

Tharpe Selden Wiggins P.Ellis / maybe Traylor? probably L.Lucas (at least to start the season....suspect going to take a while for Embiid to get up to speed)

Seeing that lineup I think it would be paramount & hopeful that Wiggins is a good outside shooter.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Having said that I would think Noel getting hurt probably hurt his chances to consider UK. I don't think we're AT ALL last on his list. I think that belongs to OU by a landslide. Honestly, I think UK may likely be 2nd to last on his list right now.

In fact, I think we're in the top 3 & near a dead heat w/ us N.C. St. & UF (simply because of his already previous playing under Donovan already).

KU_alum_2001 1 year, 6 months ago

Well I think you clearly have Tharpe at the 1 (backed up by Frankamp), Selden (backed up by Rio) at the 2, Greene at the 3 (backed up by White; anxious to see Greene, though), Ellis/Traylor at the 4, and Lucas/Embiid.

The fact is, though, that Traylor, Lucas, AND Embiid are all fairly new to the game of basketball. I believe they all started playing in their teenage years. Those guys have natural talent but don't "know the game" as well and will thus be prone to mistakes and fouls. Traylor will clearly be along by that point.

Randle, though, becomes an almost certain starter at the 5 spot if he comes to KU. If Wiggins comes, it pushes Greene to backing up the 3/4 spots.

It truly would have been nice to get either of Arizona's big men, Tarczewski or Chol, but that ship has sailed, of course.

My dream is Randle but like I said, I see him as the extreme long shot. I also think Wiggins is a long shot but not quite as much of a stretch and would love to see him in crimson and blue.

Jason Njoroge 1 year, 6 months ago

Conner Frankamp got completely screwed!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Hopefully it will tick him off badly enough that he'll score 50 ppg next year.

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

This kid is going to be a beauty.

MinorThreat 1 year, 6 months ago

Frankamp would light the McDonalds game up.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

He is McDonald's worthy, that's for sure.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

When do oral commits turn in a letter of intent? and when does the spring signing period start?

Congrats Wayne, will have to watch the game for sure now.

Ryan Knuth 1 year, 6 months ago

I believe he already signed. That what's jayhawkslant says. I don't know why they say he is just an oral commit cause I am pretty sure he is signed.

Kent Noble 1 year, 6 months ago

Frankamp should be a McDonalds All American, but like jhox said if your not from the coast they don't know you exist.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Those East Coast folks ought to learn how to read. I wonder if any of them know that our first coach INVENTED the game? That we have the 2nd (soon to be first) most victories of all time, that - - - sorry, us midwesterners know all the stats.

John Strayer 1 year, 6 months ago

Of course...said coach was in Srpingfield, MA when he invented the game...which is on the East coast.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

lol - that's the only reason we get any love at all !

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone here mention Frankamp yet?

justanotherfan 1 year, 6 months ago

I think the fact that Perry Ellis' has struggled this year (and didn't play well in the McD's game last year) contributed to that, as well as the fact that Frankamp is the second best player in the state behind Semi Ojeleye (who was also passed over).

It's a snub, but one I wasn't surprised of given that they didn't pick Ojeleye.

JD Roth 1 year, 6 months ago

Semi should have been Kansas Player of The Year last year. Perry needs to get it going. Leaving Ojeleye off the McDonalds team is inexcusable.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

HEM posted an ESPN list yesterday I believe? I think Selden Jr. is the only incoming Jayhawk listed in their top 25? That may have something to do with the invite? After all, ESPN does broadcast the event.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

He's actually listed at 18 on ESPN and Embiid jsut missed at 28, so I'd say we will be in pretty good shape next year.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

You people keep giving Selden's rating less than what I've seen on ESPN. They have him 12th!!! I've seen someone earlier say 13th, now you're saying 18th. They have 12th.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

My pitch to Julius would be simple..we lose an entire starting line-up and the only semi-sure spot is point guard for next season. You have the opportunity to not only see major playing time, not only start as a combo wing/power forward/big man, but similar to BenMac, you have an opportunity to be the "go to" guy.

National exposure won't be a problem [numerous Big Mondays, games against Duke and Georgetown], #2 rated recruiting class coming in with you, best coach, best venue, best fans AND our team beauty is Olivia Wilde..those other guys have an old, dried up Ashley Judd!!

WETSUhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

And if the team plays aggressive the remaining games this year, the NC of 2013.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Further evidence that the McD's AA game is a popularity contest more than a selection of the sport's best 24 high school players.

Frankamp gets no love from the ESPN 100 rankings (currently 47th for a guy who, as others have pointed out, is scoring 37/gm and was the best player on a gold-medal team), so it should come as no surprise that he gets no love from the McD's AA game.

It does make me wonder if the McD's AA selection committee (or however they decide who goes) consults with ESPN in selecting their players. My completely unfounded guess would be yes.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 6 months ago

If Ellis and get some love, and make the McD's list last year, why not Conner! Great for Selden (could be better than Marcus Smart) to make the list, and for Embiid to make the Jordan Classic.

Come to think of it, we could have our own "McJayhawks All American" team anyway. Who wouldn't love to see Selden, Frankamp, Greene, Randle and Embiid play against the other McD's teams?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

It kind of reminds me of that one time...in 2012...where KU made it all the way to the National Championship with five McDonald's All-Americans.

Oh wait. I think I'm remembering that incorrectly. That's right....it was ZERO McDonald's All-americans; not five.

Who gives a crap how many McD's we have, or which one of our recruits got slighted for the honor? We've made due (to say the very least), and we'll continue to do so with or without.

Not to mention...haven't we had some of these guys that really didn't amount to anything for us? The names Selby, Henry, and Downs come to mind.

So I ask again...who cares?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

In the midst of my rant, I forgot to mention that I agree with you, muser.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

I see your point, konkey.

But there must be a reason why they didn't give him the honor. I know he's a good shooter and ball handler, but they say he's not really very athletic and he's pretty small.

I know stats are more important than those tangibles, but I'm not entirely convinced he got "screwed." But if he did, then yes, it is an important honor, but only in the sense that it rewards high school athletes for their accomplishments.

It means little more than hype in college ball.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't believe Ben McLemore was a McDonald's All-American and I don't think it hurt his game very much. I think Micah Downs was a McDonald's All-American, I don't think it helped his game in any way.

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 6 months ago

Righteous comment kD. While we fans may not put too much emphasis on McD honors, I gotta believe HS players do, and as competitive and dedicated as CF seems to be, I'm sure he has a small chip on his shoulder.

Kent Noble 1 year, 6 months ago

With Coach Calipari promissing these 5 Mc Donalds All American prospects starting postions, could cause major problems next season. Noel is the only legit NBA player. What is last years Mc Donalds All Americans going to do next year when these other recruits coming in knowing they are suppost to start. Eventually coach Cal is going to dig himself a hole he can't get out of. Promises, Promises and more Promises!!!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 6 months ago

That's where you are wrong - Cal doesn't promise anyone a starting position.

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

"Noel is the only legit NBA player"

Caullie, Poythress, and Goodwin are all projected lottery picks

Sally Presson 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope I'm still around when Calipari gets his right between the eyes. And Kentucky will be on probation, scholarships taken away. His time will come

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 6 months ago

Seems to be true where ever he has coached and history has a way of repeating itself.

JD Roth 1 year, 6 months ago

UK will have to forfeit a ton of wins too. It is coming though, the investigation will be conducted.

BorderRuffianInChicago 1 year, 6 months ago

Sure, good coaching and a hot team can get you to a Nat Championship w/o a bunch of Mickey D's (although we ended up having a lottery pick on last years squad and two All-Americans) but the 2008 team had what, 8 pro's and 4 MD's on it? As we have learned this year (and a little last year), not having the Mickey D guys can give you a pretty thin margin of error. Not a huge deal, but talent makes up for a lot. That being said Embiid (from what I have read on Scout) would have been a top 10 guy had he been noticed a year earlier and Frankamp is going to be a stud and should be an MD'er. So actually we probably have 3 and possibly 4 MD talent guys. Depending on how quickly Embiid progresses, we could still be very good. I'm thinking next year looks a lot like the '06-'07 year with Rio and Rush etc...Landing Randle would be huge, but he sounds (for what that is worth) like NC State is where he is going. Wiggins seems like a lock for FSU as both his parents are legends there, etc..