Monday, February 11, 2013

Bill Self hopes team plays with freedom tonight against Kansas State

Coach speaks on Monday coaches' call

Kansas head coach Bill Self gets a quick talk with his players during the second half on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self this morning addressed today’s 8 p.m., Big Monday battle against Kansas State during the weekly Big 12 coaches teleconference.

“We’re playing the hottest team in our league I guess right now without question. They’ve had a terrific year and I’m sure they are playing with as much confidence as possible so I’d like to see us probably play with freedom if I can answer that,” Self said, asked what he hopes for in the early going.

“Play with freedom offensively and let it go (fly) defensively,” he added.

Self was asked why a team with four senior starters hasn’t been able to “rally” during the current three-game losing streak.

“I’m not sure that’s a correct statement that we haven’t been able to rally,” Self said. “We didn’t rally one game. We didn’t rally in Fort Worth (in Wednesday’s loss to last-place TCU). We actually played pretty hard at OU (Saturday). We just got beat. We played a team that was good that day. They made shots. They certainly made more plays than we did. The guys are trying. We do have more seniors. Three of them have played a lot for us. We should be better in some ways than what we are without question. It’s not from a lack of anything. We’ve hit a rough stretch.

“We’ve become very bland in many ways from an intangible standpoint that the seniors do have to help us with. But all teams go through it every year. We just picked obviously a very inopportune time to go through it from a league race standpoint. It’ll challenge us. I’m really looking forward to tonight. I think it’ll make us tougher.”

Adversity can help the team in March, Self said.

“If we haven’t gone through some crap we wouldn’t be tough enough to compete on the highest stage anyway or the biggest stage,” Self said. “We’ll spin this in a way we’ll get better because of it, but nobody likes going through it.”

Of point guard Elijah Johnson’s play tonight, Self said: “I expect him to play great and I believe he will. Certainly so much of everything is based on making shots. He doesn’t have to worry about making shots, just go play and have fun.”

Comments

Janet Olin 1 year, 2 months ago

Wikipedia states that KU holds NCAA current record for consec. tourney appearances (23), most consec. winning seasons (30), along with most all-time winning seasons (94/104). None of those are likely to change this year. Cut down lazy passes and missed FTs, ratchet up defense. All mental and can be done. Hopefully players have the fire and the pride to protect their house. Keep calm and Rock Chalk on.

KMathis 1 year, 2 months ago

Time to get back on track tonight. Let's hope our "leader" Elijah Johnson doesn't implode yet again. Mix in a few passes (not to the other team) and if your shot is off like it has been... Resist the urge to shoot 12+ times. Nothing worse than losing to KSU at home, so let's avoid that. Come on, EJ ... Keep your head out if your rectum for at least this game

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

VERY true. Adversity defines a man's true CHARACTER.

Keep calm and ROCK CHALK.

Robbk1066 1 year, 2 months ago

Simple, we win tonight we control B12 destiny, etc..., we lose we are in trouble. Big trouble.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I would like to thank all the fans that rushed the court after our road losses. You truly honor us with that display. I mean what really made that such a special occasion for them. All they did was win one game. That's not really that big a deal when you think about it. They've won games before, they'll win again. What made it truly special was the years and years of KU excellence. That's what made it a big deal, what Kansas has accomplished, not what they accomplished.

So thank you again for recognizing and confirming to the world that Kansas has the best basketball program, best basketball tradition, and the very best teams year in and year out.

You confirm what we have always known. Just glad to see you appreciate it as much as we do.

PS Hope you enjoyed it. Don't plan on it happening again anytime soon.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Am I the only Jayhawk who doesn't bear any ill will toward K State? I was brought up to despise Mizzou but to treat K State like a friendly cousin. I hate that so many people are now trying to drum up some kind of manufactured rivalry between the Kansas schools now that Mizzou is gone. Frankly, K State isn't worth it. They will never be the rival that Missouri is because (in short) miscreants from Manhattan have never burned down Lawrence. They are not the ruffians across the border; they are our neighbors. When K State beats us it is like a slap in the face. When Mizzou beats us it is like a knife plunged into the chest and twisted. Honestly, I am embarrassed to admit it but had Mizzou won the Big XII title last year it would have bothered me for the rest of my life. If K State wins it this year I will just be disappointed that the streak is over.

We will play Mizzou again in a few years. Save up your enmity for the Slavers.

Beau Woolsey 1 year, 2 months ago

I really want us to go all Colorado on Kstate that game was so much fun to watch we need it too

Zzyn 1 year, 2 months ago

I wanna see McGruder cry. I love it when he gets frustrated and starts screwing up. Here's to an AFH game to shake him up good!

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

If the athleticism restores, and the flu either recedes, or stays away...

KU by 10-15.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Jayhawks! Prepare for glory!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

REMEMBER......in the Supreme Basketball Court of Allen Fieldhouse...THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS!!!!!

11nickgreeneKU 1 year, 2 months ago

I have been on the espn boards and k-suck fans think they have the B12 won already. Come on hawks shut em up

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

Someone's gotta say it-

Freedoms just another word for nothin' left to lose...

PeterGriffin 1 year, 2 months ago

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOMMMM!!!! - William Wallace

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure why but I feel like this is going to be a Tharpe coming out party tonight. I'm seeing a game with 5 Naadir 3's made...18 pts. total (say 3-4 from the line too). Elijah, BMc & TRel all dishing to him while he's hot. I envision BMc with 2-3 dunks tonight. I envision Withey with 5 blocks tonight.

All in all I see something like a 78-65 Kansas win.

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

"Some Rumored KSU Secret Weapons for Tonight's KU Beat Down of KSU"

~New synthetic uniforms--part rayon and part silage--will make our guys eyes water from the stench so much that we will miss MORE bunnies.

~KSU XPERimental Cheerleaders will be fitted with glass abdomens in order to startle our guys by revealing their visible digestive systems during free throws.

~Weber will bury himself in his own hair in order to help his players forget Bill Self.

~KSU's team will make trip to Lawrence in a biodiesel powered, self-propelled manure spreader that will make them so filthy that our players will wretch each time they try to shoot.

~Willy the Wildcat's fur will be burned off with butane torches near the KU bench, so that the KU coaching staff loses consciousness at a key moment of the game.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

~

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

"Once more into the fray

Into the last good fight I'll ever know

Live and die on this day

Live...and die...on this day"

Get after it, boys. It's now or never.

Stay the course. Keep the faith. Rock Chalk

PeterGriffin 1 year, 2 months ago

Stupidmichael better be scared, thats all im saying

jaybate 1 year, 2 months ago

Self is subtly shifting gears in his pre-game attitude.

Free?

He hopes they play freely? :-)

This is a statement a coach makes when players are thinking too much, because he is thinking too much.

This is the second sign today that Self is starting to percolate again.

First, he spritzed Weber with Frank Martin.

Second, he talked about how he wished he could have more time to prepare, and said KSU probably did, too. Self knows Weber is a new coach and that Self is playing 4 seniors familiar with a 1000 page play book. Self is spritzing Weber again. He's forcing Weber to think about what Self might in fact be able to install special for the game that Weber cannot.

Third, Self goes off into some new age speak about playing freely and letting it "fly" on defense. Spritz again. What do these statements imply, if anything, about how KU will play? Run or walk on offense? Jump in the lanes on defense, or pressure the ball and the man? No way to know.

I like it.

Self is reshaping the mental battlefield for tonight.

He is taking his team to a new place psychologically.

He is taking the fans there too.

And he is obscuring whatever he may do from Weber.

We know one thing to expect for sure from Self, when he is in a big situation.

He will gamble.

And he will gamble with an element of surprise, too.

He gambled with Perry vs. TCU and it exploded in his face.

He is signalling to Weber to expect the unexpected, to at least be thinking about it.

He is trying to get Weber thinking too much.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

Phoghorn 1 year, 2 months ago

We all know that Holly Rowe is a very beautiful woman, but it also appears that she may be a good luck charm. Remember this game?

KansasComet 1 year, 2 months ago

The good thing about the TCU game is that there is a rematch. My love for Kansas Basketball continues to grow. I love this team in good times and in bad times. From 19-1 to 19-4...so what. Only the Kansas Jayhawks can lose 3 in a row and have the opponents fans rush the court (OU). We must really be something special!! I say it, because I believe it. Elijah Johnson is my guy, and the leader of this team. He is too great of a talent to stay down for very long. I believe! Travis Releford, get back to your high flying, spirited self. Funk is for the music industry. It's time to come out of it, and rock the house! Go Jayhawks!

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 2 months ago

Maybe a little divine intervention wouldn't hurt either.

"Angels in the fieldhouse"

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope the sound meter shatters when the KU players are introduced. The team needs to know that the real fans are always behind them, in good times and not so good times.

CaptainCholesterol 1 year, 2 months ago

Bill's going to have some more freedom (but a lot less money) soon when Cindy leaves him due to his daliances with the KU coeds.

Michael Luby 1 year, 2 months ago

I keep saying Elijah needs to come off the bench for a few games. Take the pressure off the guy and let him get his mojo back for cryin out loud! Naadir is perfectly capable of starting, plus he is gonna need that experience to lead into next year. It'll be his team. Everyone else with the exception of JW will be a soph or frosh. Scary huh? Seriously! Let Naadir start! Temporarily of course.

tashe2 1 year, 2 months ago

My thoughts you ask? Kevin Young is going to own this game.. Ol' boy from K-State has been mouthing Kevin since we beat them last. Motivation! Jeff is going to come out ready to own the paint, he knows he has to. Motivation! EJ has been playing like a high school point guard and is ready to get his game back. Motivation! Ben McLemore doesn't need any motivation, the guy is outrageous.

Bill Self doesn't like Bruce Weber, not even in the slighest. No way Bill is going to let Bruce Weber waltz into Allen and steal a victory. Won't happen, can't happen!

I'm just going to throw this out there.. Final score - KU 88, K-State 63.

Believe it!!

Justin Kruse 1 year, 2 months ago

Hope KSUck has enjoyed their time at the top b/c it's going to be short lived. Good will prevail over evil. And "Hee-Haw", I mean "EMAW", makes them sound like the hicks they are. Rock Chalk

notjustbread 1 year, 2 months ago

OR could someone drive into traffic and cash on tough lay up instead of slamming it into the backboard hoping it will absorb the force like a loose sheet.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

Is "freedom" the name of our new point guard?? Just kidding....I think the Hawks come back big time tonight!!

One thing I would ask, would someone drive, take and make a pull-up jumper from about 8' just to loosen up the defense on Jeff underneath, please!!!

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 2 months ago

KU will blow 'em out tonight. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

Keith Hummel 1 year, 2 months ago

It's been disturbing to see so many comments over the past couple of days from so-called fans saying they refuse to watch any more games. I'm not trying to pick on KUGuyInTarHealLand because he is just the latest, but this attitude that you can't watch a team play just because they suddenly lost 3 in a row is inexcusable. If this is representative of the average KU fan then I understand why our football program can never get out of the cellar. Fair-weather fans never truly appreciate success because they never truly experience adversity. Be a true fan, support your school no matter what, and have some faith in these kids and their coach. If they win you will enjoy it all the more. If they lose you will at least respect yourself for being loyal.

oldnongrad 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not sure we saw the same game, kansashawk94. I thought the offense played pretty well and just didn't shoot nearly as well as OU did. I saw the thing that beat them as being a failure to play the aggressive defense on the perimeter that they have been playing. OU had too many wide open 3s with nobody close to them. I see that loss as one in which there was too much mishandling of good passes and not enough real defense.

I have been out of coaching for over 30 years so maybe I don't see a lot of things, but I am sure I am right about this one.

kansashawk94 1 year, 2 months ago

I honestly think the problem is the lack of offensive freedom in Bill Self's system the past 6-7 games. As a coach, my philosophy on offense is that you give your players an offense to try to create opportunities. The last few games it looks like the players are just running the offense to run the offense. It's very hard to score when the ball is just being passed around the perimeter. Getting post touches is very important in any offense because it causes the defense to break down and help play the ball. Thats the biggest difference between this team at the beginning of the year. Early in the year, we were playing the game inside-out, now we are playing just outside. We have one of the best low post presences in the country in Jeff Withey and we have been doing a very crappy job of establishing him in the low post. Another part that Ku has not been doing well in is break down the defense and kicking the ball out for open shots. EJ does a good job of getting by his defender but too many times he over penetrates and get stuck under the basket making him a passer only.

Just my two cents

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 2 months ago

If you're not willing to watch tonight because they've lost 3 in a row for the first time since 2004/2005 season, I really hope you take the Jayhawk out of your username. Take a look at North Carolina this year. Every team in the Big 12 views KU as a season making victory, especially K-State.

We're going to win tonight.

Phog4ever 1 year, 2 months ago

Exactly -- have FUN guys! Been saying this for two weeks. The energy and focus will follow.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 2 months ago

Tonight's game will be an "all in effort" for the team and the fans. The Kansas fans need to step it up and earn that "6th man" label tonight. Good luck to everyone. Wish I could be there. Rock Chalk.

Adam Evans 1 year, 2 months ago

I've temporarily given up caring. Normally, my work schedule will change depending on when KU plays. But I'm not making any effort to watch this game tonight. I'm tired of making the effort to watch and witness the constant breakdowns. When they get their heads outta their butts and play like a KU team should play, like how we played earlier this year, then I'll watch again. I just can't keep putting myself through this game after game haha.

Mary Darst 1 year, 2 months ago

Ominous is my favorite word! I kind of have that feeling too. Just hope everyone shares their love for the team and will show their support by stopping all the "haters" talk. If you are a true fan you support your team 100%, every day and every game. I am there no matter what. I havent forgot FOE!! Go Hawks, you are the best!!!

mejayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

I can't wait for tonight. This team was good two weeks ago. This team had two sub-par games and one bad bad bad game, then played much better in Norman. This team will bounce back. I'm thinking playing our "new" rival in the Phog will be the game they'll remember how good they are.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 2 months ago

I have an ominous feeling about tonight....