Monday, February 11, 2013

Bill Self hopes team plays with freedom tonight against Kansas State

Coach speaks on Monday coaches' call

Kansas head coach Bill Self gets a quick talk with his players during the second half on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self this morning addressed today’s 8 p.m., Big Monday battle against Kansas State during the weekly Big 12 coaches teleconference.

“We’re playing the hottest team in our league I guess right now without question. They’ve had a terrific year and I’m sure they are playing with as much confidence as possible so I’d like to see us probably play with freedom if I can answer that,” Self said, asked what he hopes for in the early going.

“Play with freedom offensively and let it go (fly) defensively,” he added.

Self was asked why a team with four senior starters hasn’t been able to “rally” during the current three-game losing streak.

“I’m not sure that’s a correct statement that we haven’t been able to rally,” Self said. “We didn’t rally one game. We didn’t rally in Fort Worth (in Wednesday’s loss to last-place TCU). We actually played pretty hard at OU (Saturday). We just got beat. We played a team that was good that day. They made shots. They certainly made more plays than we did. The guys are trying. We do have more seniors. Three of them have played a lot for us. We should be better in some ways than what we are without question. It’s not from a lack of anything. We’ve hit a rough stretch.

“We’ve become very bland in many ways from an intangible standpoint that the seniors do have to help us with. But all teams go through it every year. We just picked obviously a very inopportune time to go through it from a league race standpoint. It’ll challenge us. I’m really looking forward to tonight. I think it’ll make us tougher.”

Adversity can help the team in March, Self said.

“If we haven’t gone through some crap we wouldn’t be tough enough to compete on the highest stage anyway or the biggest stage,” Self said. “We’ll spin this in a way we’ll get better because of it, but nobody likes going through it.”

Of point guard Elijah Johnson’s play tonight, Self said: “I expect him to play great and I believe he will. Certainly so much of everything is based on making shots. He doesn’t have to worry about making shots, just go play and have fun.”

Comments

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

I have an ominous feeling about tonight....

mejayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

The word "ominous" had negative connotations, but the root "omen" doesn't, interestingly enough

JayHok 1 year, 7 months ago

His post is humorous to those paying attention because every single Jayhawk fan I've talked to is severely excited for the game tonight. Has nothing to do with KSU. It's B. Weber (aka Mr. Crybaby/Funeral-for Bill-Self-Guy) and a chance for the Hawks to TAKE back first. Also a chance for the fieldhouse to WAKE UP and EXPLODE with a superb showing of the incredible energy that is Jayhawk basketball!

Matt Bowers 1 year, 7 months ago

Omen is an event that is either good or evil. I wounder if he saw it in the wishing well!!!

Rock Chalk

mejayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

The word "ominous" has negative connotations. The word "omen" does not, interestingly enough.

rockchalkfz33 1 year, 7 months ago

Double digit victory against the pussy cats for sure! At home in the fieldhouse they will not ever see a lead and we will certainly be ready to shake off this stretch of bad basketball. If we play outstanding defense which has come to be defininitive of this senior led group. From my viewpoint these 3 losses were exactly what we needed to send us back to the reality in which we aren't that good. I'm glad these guys are being given a gift that the 2010 and 2011 teams missed out on, a losing streak... In 08 our 2 losses were in the 3 games back to back and in 88 we lost 4 in a row... Rock chalk!!

Displayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

The Mayans were wrong! When KU loses 4 straight basketball games ...... That's when the world will end! Ha! RCJH!

mejayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I can't wait for tonight. This team was good two weeks ago. This team had two sub-par games and one bad bad bad game, then played much better in Norman. This team will bounce back. I'm thinking playing our "new" rival in the Phog will be the game they'll remember how good they are.

championhawks 1 year, 7 months ago

They did not look good 2 weeks ago either. KU hasn't played well since December and was really lucky not to lose before this stretch.

I'm hoping you are right, though, and this game is the game to break their slump. Only thing worse right now than losing our 4th straight is losing it at home to the purple pansies.

Sam Constance 1 year, 7 months ago

Wrong. KU has been playing elite defense most of the season, until the last week and a half.

Even when we were struggling to win, our defense was elite.

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Exactly. They were the masters of winning horribly boring games. I will take that any day.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Unfortunately, I would argue that during this rough stretch their worst defense was the 1st half on Sat. - - - especially from the frontcourt. How many wide open jumpers did we give Osby, C.Clark, Fitzgerald & M'Biaye?!?!?!?! :( THAT's on Withey & Young!!!!! Too many times Withey only half-heartedly closed out, often not even bothering to reach up on the shot.

Mary Darst 1 year, 7 months ago

Ominous is my favorite word! I kind of have that feeling too. Just hope everyone shares their love for the team and will show their support by stopping all the "haters" talk. If you are a true fan you support your team 100%, every day and every game. I am there no matter what. I havent forgot FOE!! Go Hawks, you are the best!!!

Adam Evans 1 year, 7 months ago

And I am def not a hater. I just can't bear to watch anymore of this until they are out of their slump. Still cheering them on, just can't bear to watch lol.

Adam Evans 1 year, 7 months ago

I've temporarily given up caring. Normally, my work schedule will change depending on when KU plays. But I'm not making any effort to watch this game tonight. I'm tired of making the effort to watch and witness the constant breakdowns. When they get their heads outta their butts and play like a KU team should play, like how we played earlier this year, then I'll watch again. I just can't keep putting myself through this game after game haha.

mejayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Sorry to say this, KUGuy, but it sounds like living in TarheelLand is affecting your understanding of what it means to be a fan.

Matt Bowers 1 year, 7 months ago

I live in NC and I've rocked my gear ever since we've hit the skid. Losing is a part of sport, it is how one responds that makes it worth the while. Everyone I work with knows that I love and pull for Kansas, they for their part are quiet, because every team experiences it....every team. If you can't bear to watch this, then you are not a true fan. Its troubling that you only support Kansas while they're winning...that's how they behave in misery. Guess you'll be the proudest football fan when we play our next bowl game!

Rock Chalk

d_prowess 1 year, 7 months ago

I could never give up caring about KU. I guess each person has their own level of what it means to be a fan, but turning your back on a team after 3 bad games certainly isn't mine. I have a lot of concerns about this team that will probably last the rest of the season, but I couldn't ever stop watching and cheering them on!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

For me it's not "caring" - I'll still care. But I could see myself "pay attention less".

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope that you don't really mean that you've given up caring. But you definitely wouldn't be alone if you said said that the recent slump has "impacted your level of expectations"

I still care very much, but right now I don't expect nearly as much from KU as I did a month ago. I don't think that we're a national championship caliber team anymore, and I don't feel like every game that we play is going to be a win anymore, but I still very much am hoping that this team can recapture the magic that they had from Washington State till Temple.

Sam Constance 1 year, 7 months ago

How's about you just stop watching the rest of the season too?

Brad Farha 1 year, 7 months ago

C'mon man -- that's like saying you've temporarily given up on caring for your kids. Say it ain't so!

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 7 months ago

We will miss you. Come back when it is more convenient for you to be a fan.

rockchalkjh16 1 year, 7 months ago

Being a true fan means never giving up on your team. Yes, they need to get back to good ol' Kansas basketball, but they need our support while they do it.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't think he said that he'd "given up" on them. Just said that he quit caring to watch.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

Why don't you remove "KU" from your board name; you will feel at home in Tar-heel land..

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

I respectfully disagree. He just needs to add an "S".

Jack Jones 1 year, 7 months ago

Actually, I won't miss you at all > your seat on the bus has been given to a real Jayhawk fan.

Matt Bowers 1 year, 7 months ago

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Welcome back, Jayhawkinnebraska!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

That's me if they lose tonight. :) lol. Doesn't mean that I don't support them, want them to win, etc. - but can't keep on top of it, if keep seeing the same crap over and over. Certainly, NOT one of these - I'll find another team, or what-not types. Just only half-heartedly, check the score, etc. if they lose the one tonight.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Ouch! I think you all are riding him too hard. He didn't say anything about quitting being a fan. Give him a break. All he said is that he would give up rearranging his schedule & caring so much.

Didn't say he was dropping them as his favorite team or was going to stop rooting for them, etc.

People taking this a little too seriously and unmercifully bashing him. I don't consider that fair!

I sympathize / empathize with him. I know all too well what it's like to get all worked up and make all kinds of sacrifices to watch - only to see the same crap with very little adjustments. Now, I'm willing to give them tonight as it would surprise the heck out of me if they couldn't get JACKED UP for this one - not often we have a top 10 opponent at home. But if we lose by this same 6 or 7 pts. YET AGAIN like we have the last 3? Kind of hard to have much optimism about the rest of the year.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

ralster,

Full broadside.

Must be game day with the pussies.

Go, ralster, go!!!!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Again,...a little easier to be "all in" when....well, when it's, in fact, easier to be all in. I used to live in Lawrence & Kansas City. Much easier to be 100% Jayhawks all the time then. A lot harder when you're living in Tulsa, OK - and probably yet another HUGE amount more difficult when you're living somewhere in NC. Call me fairweather if you want, but for YEARS now I've dreaded considering seeing them play at Gallagher Iba because with the exception of last year when OSU was G*d awful, the 'hawks NEVER seem to win in Stillwater. Thus, why the first time I bothered with an away game down here was in Norman this past Sat.

Some, I'll agree are overly negative. But there's some burying their heads in the sand. They say, we have a chance to get back at TCU, with hosting them. Well, we STILL have to go to AMES!!!!! Talk about a team wanting to "get back" at us!!!! If there's ONE game left that I'm chalking up as a loss - before the season began it was at Stillwater - - - -but now I've revised that to at Ames. Noone wants us more than them right now. Having alredy lost to TCU, while there's not a game out there that we CAN'T win, I would argue that there's ALSO not a game out there that we CAN'T lose.....closest would be TTech & TCU at home.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 7 months ago

Love the post ralster...Rock Chalk for life, and beyond.

Suzi Marshall 1 year, 7 months ago

Tonight's game will be an "all in effort" for the team and the fans. The Kansas fans need to step it up and earn that "6th man" label tonight. Good luck to everyone. Wish I could be there. Rock Chalk.

Phog4ever 1 year, 7 months ago

Exactly -- have FUN guys! Been saying this for two weeks. The energy and focus will follow.

Micky Baker 1 year, 7 months ago

If you're not willing to watch tonight because they've lost 3 in a row for the first time since 2004/2005 season, I really hope you take the Jayhawk out of your username. Take a look at North Carolina this year. Every team in the Big 12 views KU as a season making victory, especially K-State.

We're going to win tonight.

kansashawk94 1 year, 7 months ago

I honestly think the problem is the lack of offensive freedom in Bill Self's system the past 6-7 games. As a coach, my philosophy on offense is that you give your players an offense to try to create opportunities. The last few games it looks like the players are just running the offense to run the offense. It's very hard to score when the ball is just being passed around the perimeter. Getting post touches is very important in any offense because it causes the defense to break down and help play the ball. Thats the biggest difference between this team at the beginning of the year. Early in the year, we were playing the game inside-out, now we are playing just outside. We have one of the best low post presences in the country in Jeff Withey and we have been doing a very crappy job of establishing him in the low post. Another part that Ku has not been doing well in is break down the defense and kicking the ball out for open shots. EJ does a good job of getting by his defender but too many times he over penetrates and get stuck under the basket making him a passer only.

Just my two cents

benshawks08 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd also add that recently I have not noticed Jeff working real hard to establish his post positiong in a way that allows him to receive the ball. He is getting muscled out of low post position frequently and has fumbled a lot of passes when he gets bumped as the pass gets there. Yes, this should be a foul, but no, they are not going to call it. Early in the season even the commentators would comment on how hard Jeff was working to get the ball and now I just don't see it. It could be he got tired of working and not getting the ball, tired of getting bumped everytime the ball comes his way, or just flat tired. I know against OU there were three possessions in a row where Jeff didn't work to get position once, didn't work for a rebound on defense, and then lost the ball on an entry feed. He just needs to get his legs back, along with his fire! Let's see that stank face tonight, Jeff!

Josh Becker 1 year, 7 months ago

Will have to disagree with you there bud. Self's system has most certainly been the winningest system the last 6 years. Self's system is so good it makes our players better on paper than they are in the NBA. His system works, when he has all the right pieces for it to work. We are missing pieces this year. The 4 spot and a dynamic point guard who can beat his man off the dribble and create plays. Over this losing streak, guys are timid, the ball is sticking, and no one will take the ball to the hoop when they first catch it and have a step to the basket over their defender. Lots of turnovers? Defenders jumping the passing lanes because they know our guards are running the offense and going to pass it around the 3 point lane. Our guards wont take it to the hoop at opportune times because they are trying to run the offense by swinging the ball around way too much. This freedom, shows Self knows they have been trying to run the offense to mechanically and dont shake it up at all. Self knows his system is the best in college basketball. It worked last year to take us all the way. Self figures this team is similar to last year with EJ turning into Ty and it worked last year even when he thought he was missing pieces, though he was not at all, and he was trying to force his offense on this team to win again this year. Freedom - admitting that his offense isnt working for this team. Our guards showed great ability earlier in the season to take it to the hoop and it all of a sudden stopped. Just passing it around on the 3 point line waiting for someone to read the pass and take it for a dunk. Yes his plays have many different options, anyone listening to the game can hear that, all plays do. But we have been seeing the same plays and our guys running the same option of it for the last few games. I expect he will let them play more freely tonight. And yes, the defense has been horrendous as of late. You say better decision making, you may be right but our guys are not making pump fakes, taking steps the other way, they are making the passes the defense expects them to make. We will see more of a shake-up on offense tonight. Self had been baffled to why his system wasnt working. I think he made the tweak and we will see a difference tonight. I know he is running his system, but it looks very different this year with missing pieces. Everything is slower, a guy catches the ball and waits for the other guards to get into position. Not quite the same as what we are use to seeing in the ball moving very fast to both sides of the floor and of course the high low. For the reasons above, I must respectfully disagree and reinstate kansashawks 2 cents.

Sam Burns 1 year, 7 months ago

You hit it right on the nose. They've been over coached and are playing scared not to lose.

oldnongrad 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm not sure we saw the same game, kansashawk94. I thought the offense played pretty well and just didn't shoot nearly as well as OU did. I saw the thing that beat them as being a failure to play the aggressive defense on the perimeter that they have been playing. OU had too many wide open 3s with nobody close to them. I see that loss as one in which there was too much mishandling of good passes and not enough real defense.

I have been out of coaching for over 30 years so maybe I don't see a lot of things, but I am sure I am right about this one.

rockchalkjh16 1 year, 7 months ago

I'd agree with that. And also, if we hadn't missed free throws, we would have been in a much better position.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

11 of 20 is right up there with 2003 with Syracuse

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

The scouting report and the analysts before the game indicated that OU was not a good 3-point shooting team. KU caught them on a "off" day, where they shot above their average.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

I wouldn't even say that it was 3's ....OU was only something like 6-19 from 3 (what's that like 31%?!) NO! What KILLED them were all those open mid-range jumpers with NOONE guarding them by Osby, Fitzgerald, Pledger, C.Clark, & M'Biaye. Withey WAY too slow in getting out to them & Young didn't seem to either. They were left open and knocked 'em down. Too much credit for them hitting shots from Self - it was really more shoddy D ESPECIALLY in the 1st half.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 7 months ago

Awesome post, Atl! I second it wholehartedly.

I have several friends that didn't go to KU who tell me they are a KU fan during basketball season and a KSU fan during football season. Those people aren't really fans at all. They just like being associated with a winning team.

I'm not a martyr, but I have had season football tickets for almost 15 years. I love going to the games and cheering for my team. Sometimes it is hard...very, very hard. But they are MY team, win or lose. It's painful when they lose, but that is a part of it.

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, win or lose!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

DISAGREE! Nice & easy when you actually LIVE in Jayhawk land. Sorry, but I don't have satellite or expanded cable. Pretty basic cable. When we're going well, I'll follow along on Gamecast, go to a sports bar, etc. & have arrangements to make with my kids.

NOT DOING THAT when they're not conveniently on my reg. channel surfing, etc. Some of you act all high and mighty yet you're probably in Lawrence, Topeka, K.C. or Wichita where it's easy to see them. You know for some of us - it's NOT so easy & it IS a bit more difficult to arrange things.

I'd seen them when they're down here - saw the 2,600 or so KU fans at Lloyd Nobe this past Sat. & how awful it was to see a "storm the court".

Like others I'd seen on here Thurs., I can ONLY IMAGINE what it would've been like if last Wed. was your only chance to see them play in FOREVER.

BTW - I was also AT the UNI / KU game in OKC...Ugh! :( At least I got to see the Illinois win in Tulsa.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Why does it make any difference where you live? Your loyalty to KU is in your heart, not your address. I lived in Houston for 9 years and I STILL bled crimson and blue.

Sam Constance 1 year, 7 months ago

I too have to chime in here khuff80.

There is a difference between trying, and failing to see/support the Jayhawks because of the logistics of your place of residence and coming to KUSports.com and openly declaring that you refuse to try to follow them because you are disgusted with the product they are putting on the court.

One is an unfortunate side effect of living outside of Jayhawk country. The other is an active decision to not support the Jayhawks.

I can appreciate the difficulty in following the team from the coasts or abroad, or wherever else our Jayhawk brethren might be, but I have no patience for the fans who seem to take it as a source of pride that they refuse to watch or follow the team when it is struggling. It's a sense of entitlement and arrogance that while understandable, given our past success, is rather disgusting.

dehawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I live in AZ. and watch as many games as I can through First Row on my laptop. There are ways to see the game when you don't live in KS. Even with the loses, I look forward to seeing the team play. Technology is a wonder.

Garrett Coleman 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope most KU fans aren't fair weather. I've been watching KU play since I was 5 years old when my best friends dad took me to my first game at AFH. I fell in love and I support this team losing or winning. I even invited a couple KSUcks friends over for the game. I cooked them dinner and then proceed to watch the Hawks give the kittys the business. At least I was a gentleman first lol

Hoosierhawkfan 1 year, 7 months ago

KU will blow 'em out tonight. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 7 months ago

We are on a 3 game losing streak, I am in a bad mood, and I don't like seeing somebody else with my avatar. :) Get a new one!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Remember BMU - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery !

Kye Clark 1 year, 7 months ago

I sympathize. Bangkok Jayhawk & Cairo Jayhawk (possibly the same person) both jacked my avatar. It sucks.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Is "freedom" the name of our new point guard?? Just kidding....I think the Hawks come back big time tonight!!

One thing I would ask, would someone drive, take and make a pull-up jumper from about 8' just to loosen up the defense on Jeff underneath, please!!!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Ben got to go to the line doing that at least 2x on Sat.

notjustbread 1 year, 7 months ago

OR could someone drive into traffic and cash on tough lay up instead of slamming it into the backboard hoping it will absorb the force like a loose sheet.

Justin Kruse 1 year, 7 months ago

Hope KSUck has enjoyed their time at the top b/c it's going to be short lived. Good will prevail over evil. And "Hee-Haw", I mean "EMAW", makes them sound like the hicks they are. Rock Chalk

tashe2 1 year, 7 months ago

My thoughts you ask? Kevin Young is going to own this game.. Ol' boy from K-State has been mouthing Kevin since we beat them last. Motivation! Jeff is going to come out ready to own the paint, he knows he has to. Motivation! EJ has been playing like a high school point guard and is ready to get his game back. Motivation! Ben McLemore doesn't need any motivation, the guy is outrageous.

Bill Self doesn't like Bruce Weber, not even in the slighest. No way Bill is going to let Bruce Weber waltz into Allen and steal a victory. Won't happen, can't happen!

I'm just going to throw this out there.. Final score - KU 88, K-State 63.

Believe it!!

Jason Keller 1 year, 7 months ago

I actually think this is a good prediction for the final score. I see KU playing really good tonight at home. KSU is leading the big 12 on big Monday with the whole nation watching, they'll crumble.

Michael Luby 1 year, 7 months ago

I keep saying Elijah needs to come off the bench for a few games. Take the pressure off the guy and let him get his mojo back for cryin out loud! Naadir is perfectly capable of starting, plus he is gonna need that experience to lead into next year. It'll be his team. Everyone else with the exception of JW will be a soph or frosh. Scary huh? Seriously! Let Naadir start! Temporarily of course.

tashe2 1 year, 7 months ago

I have said this before and believe it would be a good move for most people, but my understanding is that EJ is a very sensitive cat.. If he gets benched, it will throw him all off.

Let's just stick behind our Senior leader and let him get his groove back in the biggest game of the year. EJ's got this.. He knows what is expected from him. He knows his game is still there.. #believe #faith

Kye Clark 1 year, 7 months ago

Lulufulu85 - I agree. I too have posted that he needs to come off the bench/have his minutes cut. I hear the people say that it will destroy his confidence. My reply here is two-fold: first, if you think coming off the bench will destroy his confidence because he's sensitive, fragile, etc., what exactly do you think him having poor performance after poor performance is doing for him? He's burdened himself as the leader of this team; try something, anything to get him relax so he can just go out there and play. Secondly, because he has burdened himself as the leader of this team, the lack of confidence he is carrying has spread like a cancer. The whole team has lost it's swagger, and it starts with him.

I love EJ and hope he comes back from this slump in a big way. But letting him come off the bench in a reduced role is what's best for both EJ and the team.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

If you cannot say anything, why even post then? Are you just trying to annoy KU fans before the big game?

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

It seems PeterGriffin was disappeared.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Thanks for the heads up.

In a run-up to a game with KSU, and kind of mischief is possible.

I hope we beat KSU into the next dimension.

PeterGriffin 1 year, 7 months ago

I am in no way a KSUck supporter. And what I said earlier is true you'll see.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Regardless, I hope we beat KSU into then next dimension.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope the sound meter shatters when the KU players are introduced. The team needs to know that the real fans are always behind them, in good times and not so good times.

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

But...but...but...I thought for sure the sky was falling...

PeterGriffin 1 year, 7 months ago

I am a frustrated Jayhawk fan nothing more nothing less

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

That's why I think tonight is pivotal. If they can't find it in them to win this kind of game in their backyard or at the VERY LEAST have it be like that 'ville / ND game, it would really make me wonder what they're made of.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe a little divine intervention wouldn't hurt either.

"Angels in the fieldhouse"

KansasComet 1 year, 7 months ago

The good thing about the TCU game is that there is a rematch. My love for Kansas Basketball continues to grow. I love this team in good times and in bad times. From 19-1 to 19-4...so what. Only the Kansas Jayhawks can lose 3 in a row and have the opponents fans rush the court (OU). We must really be something special!! I say it, because I believe it. Elijah Johnson is my guy, and the leader of this team. He is too great of a talent to stay down for very long. I believe! Travis Releford, get back to your high flying, spirited self. Funk is for the music industry. It's time to come out of it, and rock the house! Go Jayhawks!

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

We all know that Holly Rowe is a very beautiful woman, but it also appears that she may be a good luck charm. Remember this game?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Phoghorn...are you related to Holly? Don't get me wrong, she is as cute as a button but very beautiful? The reason why I like her is because she is the antithesis of all the " Erin Rodgers Sideline Clones", with their tall Barbie bodies and ESPN sportschat. At least Holly seems like a real person!!

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Nope, no relation. Yes, she does seem real. I really like her as a reporter.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Self is subtly shifting gears in his pre-game attitude.

Free?

He hopes they play freely? :-)

This is a statement a coach makes when players are thinking too much, because he is thinking too much.

This is the second sign today that Self is starting to percolate again.

First, he spritzed Weber with Frank Martin.

Second, he talked about how he wished he could have more time to prepare, and said KSU probably did, too. Self knows Weber is a new coach and that Self is playing 4 seniors familiar with a 1000 page play book. Self is spritzing Weber again. He's forcing Weber to think about what Self might in fact be able to install special for the game that Weber cannot.

Third, Self goes off into some new age speak about playing freely and letting it "fly" on defense. Spritz again. What do these statements imply, if anything, about how KU will play? Run or walk on offense? Jump in the lanes on defense, or pressure the ball and the man? No way to know.

I like it.

Self is reshaping the mental battlefield for tonight.

He is taking his team to a new place psychologically.

He is taking the fans there too.

And he is obscuring whatever he may do from Weber.

We know one thing to expect for sure from Self, when he is in a big situation.

He will gamble.

And he will gamble with an element of surprise, too.

He gambled with Perry vs. TCU and it exploded in his face.

He is signalling to Weber to expect the unexpected, to at least be thinking about it.

He is trying to get Weber thinking too much.

Go, Bill, go!!!!

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Exactly. It reminded me of a time in my HS band when I was playing an important part very timidly and my director pulled me aside and told me to stop #&^$%@^ing around and just play with confidence.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Phoghorn,

I would have liked your band director. He had the right stuff. I hope you played it with everything you had.

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

Yes, it had the intended effect. I knew he was not going to get on my case if I made some minor mistake. It made me more comfortable playing it strongly. In light of that little event, I have been expecting Coach Self to start to tell his team to get loose and have fun. I think some of our guys had the same problem I did - and they are not much older that I was at the time.

I appreciate your posts on here - keep 'em coming.

PeterGriffin 1 year, 7 months ago

Trying to get Weber to think at all would be an accomplishment .

PeterGriffin 1 year, 7 months ago

Stupidmichael better be scared, thats all im saying

Robbk1066 1 year, 7 months ago

YES, last game he said we had OU in the bag... He must be terrified tonight!!!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 7 months ago

"Once more into the fray

Into the last good fight I'll ever know

Live and die on this day

Live...and die...on this day"

Get after it, boys. It's now or never.

Stay the course. Keep the faith. Rock Chalk

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Reuben, you are cutting to marrow here.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

"Some Rumored KSU Secret Weapons for Tonight's KU Beat Down of KSU"

~New synthetic uniforms--part rayon and part silage--will make our guys eyes water from the stench so much that we will miss MORE bunnies.

~KSU XPERimental Cheerleaders will be fitted with glass abdomens in order to startle our guys by revealing their visible digestive systems during free throws.

~Weber will bury himself in his own hair in order to help his players forget Bill Self.

~KSU's team will make trip to Lawrence in a biodiesel powered, self-propelled manure spreader that will make them so filthy that our players will wretch each time they try to shoot.

~Willy the Wildcat's fur will be burned off with butane torches near the KU bench, so that the KU coaching staff loses consciousness at a key moment of the game.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

~

Phoghorn 1 year, 7 months ago

So, funny, I almost had to pee in a towel!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

Not sure why but I feel like this is going to be a Tharpe coming out party tonight. I'm seeing a game with 5 Naadir 3's made...18 pts. total (say 3-4 from the line too). Elijah, BMc & TRel all dishing to him while he's hot. I envision BMc with 2-3 dunks tonight. I envision Withey with 5 blocks tonight.

All in all I see something like a 78-65 Kansas win.

PeterGriffin 1 year, 7 months ago

FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOMMMM!!!! - William Wallace

jgkojak 1 year, 7 months ago

Someone's gotta say it-

Freedoms just another word for nothin' left to lose...

11nickgreeneKU 1 year, 7 months ago

I have been on the espn boards and k-suck fans think they have the B12 won already. Come on hawks shut em up

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 7 months ago

If we don't tonight, then OSU would probably become their bigger challenger :( Can you imagine if they won the reg. season titles in BOTH football & basketball?! :(

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

REMEMBER......in the Supreme Basketball Court of Allen Fieldhouse...THE DEFENSE NEVER RESTS!!!!!

HawkKlaw 1 year, 7 months ago

Jayhawks! Prepare for glory!

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

If the athleticism restores, and the flu either recedes, or stays away...

KU by 10-15.

Andrew Wagner 1 year, 7 months ago

I wanna see McGruder cry. I love it when he gets frustrated and starts screwing up. Here's to an AFH game to shake him up good!

Beau Woolsey 1 year, 7 months ago

I really want us to go all Colorado on Kstate that game was so much fun to watch we need it too

bayareajhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Am I the only Jayhawk who doesn't bear any ill will toward K State? I was brought up to despise Mizzou but to treat K State like a friendly cousin. I hate that so many people are now trying to drum up some kind of manufactured rivalry between the Kansas schools now that Mizzou is gone. Frankly, K State isn't worth it. They will never be the rival that Missouri is because (in short) miscreants from Manhattan have never burned down Lawrence. They are not the ruffians across the border; they are our neighbors. When K State beats us it is like a slap in the face. When Mizzou beats us it is like a knife plunged into the chest and twisted. Honestly, I am embarrassed to admit it but had Mizzou won the Big XII title last year it would have bothered me for the rest of my life. If K State wins it this year I will just be disappointed that the streak is over.

We will play Mizzou again in a few years. Save up your enmity for the Slavers.

Redlandsjhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I would like to thank all the fans that rushed the court after our road losses. You truly honor us with that display. I mean what really made that such a special occasion for them. All they did was win one game. That's not really that big a deal when you think about it. They've won games before, they'll win again. What made it truly special was the years and years of KU excellence. That's what made it a big deal, what Kansas has accomplished, not what they accomplished.

So thank you again for recognizing and confirming to the world that Kansas has the best basketball program, best basketball tradition, and the very best teams year in and year out.

You confirm what we have always known. Just glad to see you appreciate it as much as we do.

PS Hope you enjoyed it. Don't plan on it happening again anytime soon.

Robbk1066 1 year, 7 months ago

Simple, we win tonight we control B12 destiny, etc..., we lose we are in trouble. Big trouble.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 7 months ago

VERY true. Adversity defines a man's true CHARACTER.

Keep calm and ROCK CHALK.

Janet Olin 1 year, 7 months ago

Wikipedia states that KU holds NCAA current record for consec. tourney appearances (23), most consec. winning seasons (30), along with most all-time winning seasons (94/104). None of those are likely to change this year. Cut down lazy passes and missed FTs, ratchet up defense. All mental and can be done. Hopefully players have the fire and the pride to protect their house. Keep calm and Rock Chalk on.