Thursday, February 7, 2013

Keegan

Opinion: Setback as bad as it gets

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after loss to TCU

Kansas coach Bill Self talks after his team's 62-55 loss to TCU on Feb. 6, 2013.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-TCU

If James Naismith had known Kansas University one day would butcher the game of basketball as badly as it did in the first half of a stunning loss Wednesday night in Fort Worth, Texas, he not only might have thought twice about starting the program, he might have passed on the entire idea of inventing the sport.

It looked that awful from my couch, where I watched because I thought the better story, Charlie Weis’ strong signing day, was in Lawrence. Certainly, that’s where the happier story was for KU. Weis landed enough strong prospects that his team should be able to pull off plenty of victories that now would be considered upsets. But it would be awfully tough to score one the magnitude of TCU’s 62-55 shocker.

Has there ever been a bigger upset in Big 12 history? Has a first-place team ever played such a poor first half of basketball? Anybody? Didn’t think so.

In a first half that set the sport back decades, Kansas scored 13 points and trailed by nine points to a school that came into the game with an 0-8 record in Big 12 play and came within single digits of an opponent just once, and that was in a nine-point loss to a dreadful Texas Tech squad.

As usual, KU’s offensive struggles started with addled point guard play. But it certainly didn’t end there. Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe combined to make five of 27 shots, three of 14 three-pointers. As a team, Kansas made three of 22 threes, two of the makes by Johnson too late to make a difference. Travis Releford scored one point. Ben McLemore misfired on all six three-point attempts.

What a first half. It took 3:23 for either team to score, and it was TCU. It took 7:18 for Kansas to score, and it wasn’t until 6:06 remained in the first half that the Jayhawks scored their third and fourth points on Jeff Withey’s free throws. With 4:29 left, Withey’s jumper cut TCU’s lead to 17-6. Even in this year of peach-basket scoring rates casting a pall over college basketball from coast to coast, the scoreboard that wouldn’t budge seemed so bizarre.

“This is not a bad loss,” Bill Self told Greg Gurley during a postgame radio interview. “It’s an unbelievably bad loss. ... We’re probably in the worst funk I’ve ever seen a Kansas team be in.”

Self spoke to what the upset will do for the confidence of future KU opponents.

“It’s not so much that we lost, but it’s that we were kind of the bullies of the league, and we let people think that they could whip us, and when they did, everybody now thinks that they can whip us,” Self continued. “I mean, hey, we just opened the floodgates. If we’re going to get everybody’s best shot two weeks ago, think now what it’s going to be like when everybody thinks they’re going to win?”

It can’t possibly get worse than it was Wednesday night. Or could it?

Comments

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 2 months ago

I want to see Self start

A.Adams McLemore White III K. Young Withey

on Saturday

Tharpe should be the next PG in & can come in RIGHT AWAY if Adams is really struggling. Give White III a healthy 5-6 mins. before subbing Releford in. I want to see less of P. Ellis & more of Traylor, particularly if we need rebounding help. MAYBE more of Ellis if they need a little more O but even then you can usually only count of Ellis for like 4-6 pts.

Linda Peschka 1 year, 2 months ago

There are players who do not play quality bb but yet they are still in the game . They make the same mistakes and continue to shoot poorly or not at all as in Releford's case. Self should bench all of them and play others who want to play with energy. They certainly can not play any worse. Enough is enough. KU is going to lose to OU, OSU, and certainly to IOWA ST. and will not win the Big 12 League championship.

Too many of the players play for I and ME unstead of WE and US.

Robert Lofthouse 1 year, 2 months ago

Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate Award goes to these Jayhawks.

" Fickle, by definition, means changeable, not steady. Fate is a predestination of something undetermined but inevitable. The fickle finger of fate points out something ominous or that may happen in the future without determination of a specific time frame. It is used mostly in a jocular vain."

~ no malice intended

Tippyhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Is it really true that "rats are the first to leave a sinking ship?"

cajayfan 1 year, 2 months ago

I have always wished we had an assistant coach that was a successful point guard. Duke does it and I believe Ohio State has one on the bench(from Duke). I think our point guards take too long to develop. I also think Larry Brown's help last year was more valuable than we realize. Yelling and inflexibility( a little zone defense, please) are two weak points in my opinion, of Self.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 2 months ago

I am not sure which is more embarrassing, the loss last night or some of the comments above.

Come on people !!! Bill Self is still one of the top 3 coaches in college BBall and he did not suddenly forgot how to coach.

He will right the ship and KU will get back to playing the way the were playing before. Keep in mind that we get OSU and TCU on consecutive games in two weeks...payback is a beotch!!!...and a great motivator.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

A day later, my thoughts are maybe Self maybe overreacted to much with the OSU game? KU did not play that bad, OSU just played great. He beat his players so much it hurt the team? I might be wrong, we will find out by Tuesday.

hammerhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Auuuuugggggggggg!!! I'm 65 years old and during that time ....(finish the sentence with agnst). It is impossible to put a finger on this performance. I did read above about sitting the whole team .. Roy did that, as I recall. OMG, OK and ksu coming. Lord help us.

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 2 months ago

I watched the first half of the OSU-Baylor game last night. Stagnant offense with terrible shooting from both teams. OSU started out 1 for 12 and 0 for 6 from 3. Many of the 3s were clankers off the backboard or back of the rim from Brown. Pierre Jackson's first half included 1 assist, 4 turnovers, three missed 3 pointers, two missed layups and one foul. His scoring was one lay-up 13 minutes into the game and a 2 point jumper with 57 seconds left. Pretty much the same Bears we played. A vastly different OSU: miserable passing and screens, awful on the offensive board, poor rotation and rushed shots. I didn't know that our first half would exceed this awful display. However, the OSU squad that couldn't miss Saturday didn't show up on the Sutton floor. The Pierre Jackson and Smart we would trade the ranch for were pedestrian last night.
I am very disappointed with our guard play and wish we had a true 1. However, mental and tactical errors are part of the game. The best guard match-up of the week was Michigan-OSU. I saw Craft pick Burke several times. Craft ended the game with two blocked floaters; when dishing seemed the better choice. We should not have been in the position where a 50% foul shooter can be clutch or we can be outmuscled by wide-bodies. Florida should not have been hammered by lights out shooting from Ark. I am not sure Self can right the ship; and the problems are multiple. I'm glad my job doesn't depend on consistant performances from 18-22 year olds.

ironhead80 1 year, 2 months ago

Head Game! As long as they have the heart of what it takes to be a JAYHAWK!

Don't give up, don't ever give up. Jimmy V

troutsee 1 year, 2 months ago

Look. We had a bad game. We shot the ball horrendously. Every team has a game or two when that happens. The sky is not falling. We played horribly as a team. That's it. Stop over analyzing. In some games the ball just doesn't drop. This was one of those games. Big deal.

dhinkansas 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't agree that it was like the Northern Iowa NCAA game. UNI was a good team that year, won 28 games. KU scored 13 first half points against an 0 - 8 conference team last night. And really, was as lifeless as I've seen KU since the Ted Owens days before Larry Brown came.

dek9219 1 year, 2 months ago

HCBS has to shoulder the blame on this one and this year. KU wins 60 percent of the time because they have superior talent on the floor and the other 40 percent might be due to coaching. This year is going to take a great deal of coaching and I don't see it happening so far. We've been playing terrible for over a month now and coaching hasn't improved anything, so now we get what we deserve. We could still be a good team, but someone has to step up and it's obviously not the ones he is putting on the floor. Ellis over Young was the change, made no sense at all. Perry is not near ready for D1 basketball and won't be for another year and a half. EJ has to come off the bench. In my opinion any other guard could do at least as good as he has done. I love EJ but it's in his head now and that's tough to correct.
Rock Chalk!!!

Beate Williams 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm not sure what game some of you were watching. You belittle the coach because he didn't have the team ready on defense and that he simply let the offense shrink into nothingness. Everyone was calling for him to start Perry and he did and Perry paid him with 0 points and 1 rebound in 10 minutes against an "inferior" interior team. You wanted him to put Tharpe in so that EJ could move to his natural 2 spot, he did and we see how successful that was last night by looking at the attempts and made shots by the two of them. The most upsetting thing about that combo was when KU was making a comeback and Tharpe rushes down and shoots a three when we had numbers; not to mention the time he had TRel on a two and one and he decided to take it to the hoop, didn't make the lay-up but did get fouled, TRel makes those shots.

You complain about the defensive sets from last night, TCU shot 39% and 31% from behind the arc. TCU had 22 points the first half, true enough they scored 40 in the second half, we scored 42 but my point is the defense, at least the half court defense worked. We could not shoot the ball last night; we did a lot of standing around on offense; we did not go aggresively for those 50-50 balls; we did not create T0s for whatever reason; we played against an inspired team that went after every lose ball and played with desire and agression.

I'm not sure if you blame the coach for the lack of inspired play, for the lack of aggressiveness or if you blame hyped up, Division 1 ball players who are playing at one of the greatest basketball schools in the country.

Not sure how many of you have coached and if you have you must have run into those games when no matter what you attempted trying to elimate the lackadasical approach to the game is sometimes impossible to elimate and that is the way in look at what happened last night.

I must say, I thought I was pissed Saturday, I can't describe how I'm still feeling this morning. I find this an embarrassing loss and if I feel this way I can't even imagine how this team must feel. I think the pride is there and the ship will be righted.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Wow, people. This is the kusports message board, right? I haven't somehow slipped over to the KSU page, have I?

Our team is 19-3 atop the Big 12 standings. This team beat Ohio St. on its home court. This team beat KSU on its home court. This team pulled out a heck of a win against a very strong ISU team. We've shown glimpses of greatness throughout the season. If you want to jump ship because of two bad losses, feel free. But I'm betting my money on history and tradition.

If you remember way back before the season started, everyone wondered how this team would bounce back after losing Tyshawn and Trob. Well, last year at this time we were 18-4 (and we lost the next game to Mizzou, making us 18-5). This year we're 19-3. Seems like we've done "okay" thus far. Lol.

The reason KU lost last night is because the team played worse than any team KU has put on the court in the past 10 years. If you think Bill Self all the sudden forgot how to prepare teams for games, you're an idiot. Look at how many turnovers KU had. Look at how many three pointers KU missed. This is partially on Bill Self, sure, but it's mainly on the players for not executing at all. Elijah is certainly not a true PG, but there's no excuse for the amount of turnovers he has this season. He simply has to play better.

Stephan123 1 year, 2 months ago

Unfathomable: TCU beating KU. Coach Self, a great coach, will really have to earn his money now. KU needs bigger bodies and a play maker. But that is in the future, far away.

offline 1 year, 2 months ago

Self can't recruit, Tharpe did more harm then good and he is far from being a PG, or even a player. Ku will be lucky to make it to the NIT and that is a good question. KU can sit home and watch Kansas ST. in the NCAA Tournment. Basketball experts have been saying that KU isn't recruiting good players and now this, will only make it an uphill grade for top recruits. KU looked like a team that Morningstar was on, which he was a total dud. Kansas ST. has a great basketball and football team, as KST. rules the state of Kansas.

Does is resemble other Self teams, Bucknell, VCU, UNI and the others. Four seniors an and a coach like this says, it's time from Self to go. Maybe KU needs to go to the MVC, they would probably get their butts kick around by Creighton and WST. U.

Iowa ST. should have won that game as they out played KU. Oklahoma ST. was a blowout and Kansas ST. was close.

Some of the ESPN are saying it's time to take a long look at the head coach position at KU, than there should tell us something.

Max Ledom 1 year, 2 months ago

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

If I knew we had THIS many coaches better than Self, I would have made the move years ago, and just have all of you coach from the bench! I'm sure you know much more than Self. I'm sure you could all do a better job. Shut up. This is not on coach at all.

I saw a group of players that looked like they didn't even FEEL like playing basketball yesterday. They looked like they didn't want to win! That is not on coach! These two losses happened because the players were not doing what they needed to!

It does make me laugh though, losing 2 games in a row means the sky is falling for us. I think we all have been a little spoiled and needed a reality check. We weren't going to go 2000+ games without consecutive losses. It happens. Now, shut up and believe.

This is the same team that went on the road and BEAT Ohio State. The same team that DISMANTLED Colorado. The same team that went on the road and BEAT KState. We are National Championship caliber. Not a doubt in my mind.

EdgarMarsalla 1 year, 2 months ago

This will be heresy, but has the thought crossed anyone's mind that other malign forces could be at work? I hate to bring this up, but how has KU been doing against the point spread since New Year's? There have been a few games where they've been about to take off on a 15 point lead and then the wheels came off and others where they played like bums until about the 8 minutes remaining mark in the second half. Last night they just stunk for all but 4 minutes and weren't much then. I can really only think of two theories: first and hopefully the true one, the flu is going around the team after Withey had something two weeks ago and Self doesn't want to talk about it. This seems very plausible to me. The second, uglier theory, but one supported by the masses of missed easy layups, awful brainless turnovers and loads of three point shots not landing in the same county as the rim, is that professional gamblers might be arranging some point adjustments. I hope against hope that this ain't true, but there are a lot worse things going on in the world right now that go unnoticed and this has been known to occur before, usually on the east or west coast though.

joshuamc914 1 year, 2 months ago

The most frustrating part to me it wasn't the missed shots or the turnovers, but it was the lack of leadership. Not one senior was trying to lead out there at all. This team lacks fire like Self has said all year to many nice guys. The team needs a strong personality to be able to light a fire under their teammate like T-Rob and Tyshawn did last year or like the Twins, Sherron, and Russ Rob. This team in my opinion is soft and they lack a fire. I didn't see anyone get in some1's face or yell say someone for a turnover or a bad shot. Self can't call out the team, a player has to step up and call out the team. The sad part is I don't see a leader. Alot of nice guys but no fire or passion from our too guys which is why we're struggling.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 2 months ago

As I posted last night and please don't take this the wrong way but, deep down, did any of you truly think that a team that starts Kevin Young was a potential National Champion??

Kansas lost it's heart [TROB] and Soul {TYSHAWN] and, as of yet, has not gotten it back.

jgkojak 1 year, 2 months ago

This is on Self.

And this is the same issue he has had in past bad losses -

Bucknell - playing Langford while Kaun, Robinson and Jackson (albeit as freshemen) sat on the bench.

It would be MATHEMATICALLY impossible for the bench players to play WORSE. So why not play Rio some significant minutes?

The only motivation I see in giving EJ 31 minutes is - this was his test. He can now, with utter confidence, bench EJ and switch things up at guard.

Some errors: I'll give him a pass on starting Ellis.

But... Young needed to be out there 30 minutes, not 14. Rio should have been trusted with the point in the 1st half - couldn't have been worse. He needs to find another guard on that bench - Manning has some Morningstar-like tools and can be passable - perhaps we go w/that? Where's Wesley? He gave them some good minutes at times last year.

jay_cheese 1 year, 2 months ago

Well last night we saw that even the finest tuned engine sometimes can sieze up. Little things can turn into big things pretty quick and all of the sudden it just stops. Whoever pissed in TR's soup better take it back fast. He is our best leader on this team and he was a ghost last night on offense.

EJ's gotta get confident and be the man (whether he wants to or not) real quick or we could be in for more losses. I don't think he's a great team leader but I do think he should be the best player on the floor most of the time. I think he's also been banged up for a while but understands that we don't have any other decent option. If cbb had 'dog days', they would be right now. We'll get out of this rutt and as any decent bb fan knows, you want to be playing your best ball at the end when it really counts-not the 1st week of February..

I think we could lose another couple in the league and still be champs. Our win a few weeks back at Bramlage could be the decider when all things are said and done. Every one of guys can and will play better than what we saw last night. Rockchalk!

Dyrk Dugan 1 year, 2 months ago

think about it....since the 5:00 mark vs. OSU...we were up by 4.....it was 58-33 OSU/TCU for the next 34 minutes of basketball. that's right. we got outscored by a team coming in 1-22 on the road in the league, and a winless bottom feeder in the league.

can you believe KU won at Ohio St.? K-State? watching us last night, i could not. Tharpe blew two consecutive LAYUPS in the 2nd half....Kevin Young couldn't make a LAYUP....if we can't make layups, how are we going to compete? let alone win?

it's like Steve Blass in baseball....Rick Ankiel in baseball.....this team has lost it. all the way around. Ben McLemore on defense? please. he can't guard anybody right now. they scored 22 points in the 1st half....but almost every make was a wide open shot.

and we cut it to four with 7 1/2 to play.....but we still pressed? even in the half court? at that point you play straight up D...you're back in the game...the pressure is on THEM...but we don't see it that way. we feel the pressure.

the coaches, the players, the whole lot....needs to take a look in the mirror. good grief, i don't watch the OU game.....and i'll miss half of it for the boys' Y game, but my goodness....it can't get much worse...can it? :)

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

This is a new coaching challenge for Self. I can't ever remember a Self-coached team that responded to a loss by laying a gigantic egg. I don't think he's ever had a group of Seniors that weren't able to rally around him and pick up the team when it faced adversity. He really does risk losing this team - I have to agree with some of what HEM has written about his post-game comments after OSU. That mistimed tough love seems to have fractured the already fragile psyche of this team. Can he rebuild it? We'll see - if not, this team could go down in infamy.

JayDocMD 1 year, 2 months ago

Nightmare Scenario with it's Consequences:

• Bill Self losing this team + no senior leadership = the wheels come off and we lose 4 or more games the rest of the way

• 9th straight league title fading away - KSU Big 12 champs? (that really hurt to type)

• a top seed (1st - 4th) in the NCAA tourney in serious jeopardy. No high seed? No KC 1st round games (or Dallas 2nd round)

• no top seed + no local tourney game = increase chance of early NCAA exit (which was already a high probability with this team that doesn't know how to score)

• Recruits turned off - better figure this out by Big Monday with Texas and Randle coming

GreatJake 1 year, 2 months ago

Smack down alert! Oh No Mr Bill there's another game Saturday.......

Mid-Major Smack downs during the torunament were always painful but a TCU smack down, 0-8 in the Big12.............

I hope the team gets their Kansas BB back!

dehawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Our bigs do look soft and get frustrated when they are pushed around and don't get the calls. Well if we get matched up with a Big 10 or Big East team come tournament time, we had better get use to not getting the call. I know CS said he actually was the one coaching the bigs, but was that just this year, or also when Danny was here. Because it sure looks like we are missing Danny alot. He was a big with a slender frame who knew how to work that to his advantage. We could use him now to help the bigs understand how to fight through the banger players.

Bill Kackley 1 year, 2 months ago

WHEN DOES FOOTBALL SEASON START?

smhend 1 year, 2 months ago

I hope the old saw "guards win in March" is untrue this year.

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 2 months ago

"Things can always get worse." Buddy Bell. I would much rather this happen now than in the NCAA tourney. Let's hope that Bill can use this remaining time to work his magic and get this team to be the best it can be, and then peak at the right time and stronger than ever.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 2 months ago

I wish we had Pierre Jackson.

Watching KU's offense lately has been like watchng Groundhog Day. --weave, flare screen, weave, flare screen, weave, flare screen.

It's tiresome and predictable now. Does this team really only know a handful of sets to run? Four seniors and nobody can run anything?

A pet peeve of mine is when athletes stand around with their hands on their knees. EJ has been doing this all year. Why are you so tired all of the time EJ? I thought you were pacing yourself?

We have seen what this team can do.

We have seen the potential.

My assumption is this: 1. Something is very very wrong inside that locker room. Chemistry is bad. I wonder if it has to do with the attention that Ben is getting. Or mutiny because Dir thinks he shoul be taking EJ's minutes. I know this is pure speculation...but it makes sense to me. We know Kevin isn't as happy to be playing on this team as he was...you can see it in his face. In fact,nobody appears to be having fun anymore. Somebody on the inside know what the 'kliqs' are?

1. Selfs offense is predictable and we only have one guy who can make something happen on his own right now when the play breaks down, and that is Dir. Even he isn't that good at it, but at least he does it.

I've decided that I'm not a fan of slow paced, low scoring games. I hope his gets better soon.

tathagata 1 year, 2 months ago

Senior Night this year should be cancelled.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 2 months ago

For those of you on TV, it was worse to see in person. I flew in and went with my brother in law.

Clearly the players were completely flat from the get go but as some have said Self needs to shoulder some of the blame. He was badly outcoached by Trent Johnson. TCU tore up our man to man by running our guards thru multiple screens and out quicking our big guys. A simple switch to a zone would have stopped that. Self needs to admit that sometimes he can't stay with the man no matter how stubburn he wants to be.

On offense Self should learn some of what TCU was running. We are just passing around the perimeter and running that stupid weave that seems to get nobody open. He needs an offense that fits the personnel.

Hopefully this happened early enough to make changes.

joshuamc914 1 year, 2 months ago

As a Kansas fan who has visited this site for as long as I have done so in the past, I have to finally put in my two cents. This team just doesn't have the horses right now and everyone saying bench Elijah and Travis lol. Who are you going to put into the game for them Tharpe is terrible and White III is too green right now. This Kansas team needs our seniors to play through their funk and help out McLemore because this was the one game that he couldn't save us while the players around him shoot to much like Elijah an Naadir or shoot to less like Releford. Also I love coach Self to death is resume is amazing but what has Perry Ellis done to earn minutes? He is so soft it makes me sick, and he new mode is to be aggressive and throw up everything he can around the rim being finesse he is Cottonelle soft. I believe Jamari Traylor is better then he is on the boards and in the post, but for some reason he gets no minutes smh. And Naadir Tharpe changed the momentum of the game down 4 you shoot a three 1 on 5 smh. He has the worse basketball IQ I've ever seen of anyone putting on the kansas uniform. He has no IQ and he is physically weak he isn't a big 12 caliber guard I want to see Anrio at this point he can't be any worse. Also can Jeff Withey get aggressive in the paint c'mon 6 shots you're bigger then the whole team get the ball, be physical and make a move down low. He is so passive as well as Releford those two need to be more aggressive because we have no point guard and no1 else can score other then McLemore. The only solution to our problem is that Elijah has to play better its all on his shoulders and I'm interested to watch h

jayschool 1 year, 2 months ago

I was wondering how Doc Sadler would leave his imprint on this KU team. Now we know.

lothario64118 1 year, 2 months ago

Yes, the players are not playing well. It's not all EJ's fault. I have to pin this on Self. To think or as Bill thought after how EJ played last season in the last 6 games that this would continue is ludicrous. It's the coach's fault for not landing better PG talent. Is Naadir suppose to somehow make a 180 next year? or is Conner supposed to be the "guy" as a scrawny freshman? No. Self needed to recruit better talent. Yes, it is hard to land recruits but to let all them get away is absurd. Ben as good as he can be cannot play when guarded.

Now, what happens next year? Same thing? Going to be a bunch of freshman and sophomores (as limited playing frosh this season) going to be making mistakes. What happens then? can't bench them. So freaking let them learn now. Why can Self bench his young guys for messing up but allows his 4 seniors to keep playing.

Something is wrong. Very wrong.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Why wouldn't everyone think that they can whip us?? They can. Heck, K-State's cheerleaders could whip us.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

PART TWOI I just hope there is still a good PG out there that we can somehow steal (for next year--maybe Rysheed Jordan, out of Philly, or a big, tall, athletic Ju Co guy from somewhere)) at the last minute, who may not have us on his list right now (like we did Landon Lucas). Now, all of this being said, we now have nothing to lose (everyone is now counting us out), and everything to gain. Let's go whip some O.U. ass!!!!!!! Then whip some K-State ass!!!!!!! If we do that, we are right back where we want, and need, to be. After all, nobody in their right mind (and a lot of people are not--ha ha ha), thought the League would be won with two or less losses. So let's get back to the basics, work harder than ever, and right the ship!!! and PS: We need to quit missing so many dayum layups!

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 2 months ago

This loss is on the players and the coaching staff. as Coach Self said on Hawk Talk, and I quote: E.J. is my guy, and I'm gonna ride him all the way (or something to that affect)! No, coach, you don't. Other players have put in the time and the hard work, and they should be given a chance early enough in the game, to come in and make a difference, if the horse you are riding can't make it to the finish line!!! And if your PG can't stop penetration, you "CAN" actually play a zone in College Basketball. I know you don't like to do that, and I don't really like it either, but at least you then have a chance to stop penetration. I'm not just talking about it (penetration) happening just, tonight, either. Also, defensive rebounding! Give me a break. We box out, half assed, and then, sometimes don't seem to even jump. And Kevin Young allowing another offensive rebound when the opposition misses a free throw, you gotta be friggin kidding me!!!!!!! And I love Travis, but why is he always deferring on taking shots? I understand being a "Team Player", but he is hurting the team by passing up so many open looks. It seems that Coach has everyone on the team thinking Ben should be talking almost all of the shots, but remember, he is just a RS Freshman, and although he has had some great games, you can see in a lot of situations, that he is very nervous. And how much did AW III play in the first half (I really don't remember him being in that much, especially given how well he played in his incredible minute in the OSU game)??? Let Rio, Perry, and Jamari, play through their mistakes, by giving them a lot more minutes, and not pulling them whenever the make a mistake. How is if fair to let the Veterans play through their mistakes, especially when they are making so many of them. I know Coach has Trust in them, but let's be realistic here, and take them out when they are continually screwing up. And E.J. jumping up in the air to throw two passes away? That is Basketball 101--You just don't do that!!! Where is a penetration to kick it back out, from our PG? Does anyone still not understand the Tyshawn Taylor concept now, because he was a great PG! Oh, and by the way, I am wondering why our Coaching Staff never did secure any "High Level PG", one with good size, especially knowing we would be losing Tyshawn (I know we really went after Marcus Smart, but he was not the only good one out there, and we missed out on all of them, and Conner (Wichita-next year), is probably not the answer.

wileykufan 1 year, 2 months ago

EJ saw plenty of time on the bench

I am curious how Ellis does enough to earn the start then never sees the court again after the first 5 minutes.

This group of seniors was spoiled and now we see what's happening. If this loss does not shake them up, nothing will.

We played uninspired on defense the first half. And I have no idea what we are doing anymore on offense

Steve Jacob 1 year, 2 months ago

Andy Katz on ESPN.com used the words "checked out",

wyansas 1 year, 2 months ago

wow, glad i chose not to watch.

nostradavid 1 year, 2 months ago

A critical skill is missing. Time to hit the books!

Test on Saturday

Test on Saturday by nostradavid

dumbarton 1 year, 2 months ago

Tharpe and EJ go combined 5 of 27 from the field and offer up 3 assists and 5 turnovers. Releford shoots once in 38 minutes. It appears TCU beat us playing 5 against 2.

MinnesotaJay 1 year, 2 months ago

From two days ago, "KU's Elijah Johnson says Sunday's three-hour team meeting with head coach was productive."

Really? How so?

pepper_bar 1 year, 2 months ago

Don't worry guys, Keegan wrote a column before league play started reminding everyone that the Big XII race is for second place. KU already won the league and doesn't really have to try.

Nikonman 1 year, 2 months ago

I think they are spending too much time in class and the library and not enough on the court.

Hank Cross 1 year, 2 months ago

This one is on Self. Shades of the UNI game: no adjustments in personnel or style. It's up to him to find the right combination. He failed and had that panicked look on his face. There was no reason to leave EJ out there when it was obvious that he couldn't do anythng right. It was like leaving in a pitcher who is getting shellacked, Can't imagine that he will remain on any draft board after this week. It's a shame, he's given his all to KU, but right now he is a major liability. Withey's stock also dropped as he got shoved around by a smaller team.

On the upside, they'll probably win the B12, but that's more due to the weakness of the league.

Max Ledom 1 year, 2 months ago

I will say this: KU will go undefeated from here until the tourney. If we don't, we are not the team I thought we were. We are not National Championship caliber, we are having a down year. Cause if this loss doesn't do it, if losing at HOME doesn't do it. Nothing will. If we don't come together now. We'll tear ourselves a part.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

"That was the worst team Kansas has ever put on the floor."

--Bill Self

Adam Evans 1 year, 2 months ago

Win Keegan. Yes. A bit dark. But your opening like was perfect. Thank you. I can't believe this. Yeah. We'll bounce back to some modicum of decency. But this was just dreadful.