Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Jayhawks looking to bounce back against rebuilding TCU

TCU guard Charles HIll, Jr. right, looks to drive around Texas guard Julien Lewis during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, in Austin, Texas.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self has fond memories of the Jayhawks’ last game contested in TCU’s Daniel-Meyer Coliseum.

His first KU team, which moved to the top of the Associated Press poll during the afternoon of Dec. 1, 2003, used 24 points from Fort Worth native Keith Langford — and a stellar performance off the bench from Jeff Hawkins — to pound the Horned Frogs, 85-66.

“I know ‘Hawk’ made five threes (19 points) and I think it was a pretty good turnout (of KU fans),” Self said. He’s hoping the Jayhawks’ large contingent of alumni in the Dallas/Fort Worth area again gobble up tickets for today’s 8 p.m. contest against TCU in the Frogs’ 7,166-seat arena.

“That’s when Neil (Dougherty, former KU assistant) was coaching (TCU). I believe our guys will be very excited to get back on the court and play,” Self added.

A lot has changed at TCU since KU’s last visit. A member of Conference USA in 2003, the Horned Frogs now are in their first season in the Big 12. Today TCU (9-12 overall, 0-8 Big 12) meets a powerful KU team (19-2, 7-1) that is stinging following Saturday’s 85-80 home loss to Oklahoma State.

“They are going to be competitive,” Self said. “Trent (Johnson, first-year coach after stops at LSU, Stanford and Nevada) is in his first year and during that transition period, you always have some situations that don’t go smoothly. He’s building for the future, and they’ve actually recruited very well thus far.

“His teams will guard you. They don’t give up a lot of points (58.5 ppg while averaging 54.1 ppg). They’ll be much better moving forward. It wasn’t that long ago that Trent built up the Nevada program — the same Nevada program that went to the Sweet 16. He certainly did a great job at Stanford, following a legend in Mike Montgomery and did a great job there. He knows what he’s doing. It’s just a matter of time.”

Johnson, whose squad hasn’t won since Dec. 30 vs. Mississippi Valley State and averages just 4,376 fans per home game, is known as a master rebuilder of programs.

“What I learned in those middle two years at LSU ... I don’t know what it’s like to die. But I got close to dying those two middle years,” said Johnson. His Tigers followed a 27-8 season with consecutive 11-20 campaigns before going 18-14 a year ago.

“Let’s make no secret about it. You need to have good players that are committed and you need to do a good job of recruiting on a consistent basis. But I tend to stay away from the word ‘rebuilding.’ I don’t know where that label got thrown at me in my career. I’m always in a situation we’re trying to win as fast as we can and play as fast as we can and play well.”

His squad has double digit scorers in 5-foot-11 sophomore Kyan Anderson (11.2 ppg), 6-7 senior Garlon Green (10.2) and one player averaging double digits in Big 12 play — Adrick McKinney (6-8 senior, 10.3).

“There’s been spurts the last two games we sort of shut down,” said Johnson. His team is coming off a 60-43 loss at Texas and 82-56 home setback to Baylor. “I told them going into this year we are not individually talented enough or good enough for guys to look for their own shots. We’ve got to stay with the system and try to fight.”

In facing an apparent mismatch on paper, Johnson said: “We’ll go into the game like we always would. Our preparation will be the same. For me personally it will be neat for our kids to see what elite basketball, elite players and elite coaching is like. Kansas has been one of the premier programs since (James) Naismith invented the game. What Bill has done since he’s been there is very impressive. I echo what a lot of coaches in this league, a lot of coaches across the country have said, that they play the game the right way. Physically they are tough. Mentally they are tough. He’s going to get their attention (after loss).”

Johnson noted that it is “a supreme challenge for us and our fans. I think it’s going to be great for them to get an opportunity to see what it’s like to have one of the elite teams on our home floor. Am I personally looking forward to it? No. I’ve been in situations like that before where I’ve been on the side where you won and on the side where you lost. We’ll prepare like we have always prepared and we will try to get guys play confident and fight through some things.”

Self said his Jayhawks need a bounce-back win.

“They guard,” Self said. “We need to have great focus and hopefully get a little ‘mojo’ back if we’ve lost any. I’m not saying we have. We need to go play well together as a unit. Going on the road, you can’t take anything for granted. We need to give a great effort.”

Is tonight the night?: KU senior center Jeff Withey needs four blocked shots to tie, five to pass Greg Ostertag as KU’s all-time leader in blocks. Ostertag, who played from 1992-95, had 258 blocks; Withey has 254. Withey is 10 blocks from the Big 12 career record of 264 (Chris Mihm, Texas, 1998-2000).

Withey has recorded most of his stats the past two seasons.

“We’ve had a lot of guys come far. Travis Releford or certainly, Thomas Robinson. Or Cole Aldrich. We’ve had some guys come a long ways,” Self said. “But Jeff has probably surprised me, pleasantly, as much as anybody we’ve had. He’s just been terrific.”

Asked about Withey’s development, Self said: “I would say he is stronger, which breeds confidence. But the biggest thing is that he’s fallen in love with basketball. When you’re not in love with it and you play because you’re tall or whatever, then you go through it and start seeing some success. He’s fallen in love with that. And I think that has as much to do with it as anything.”

This, that: Last time KU played TCU a Langford was on KU’s roster. This time, it’s Keith Langford’s brother, junior Justin Wesley. ... KU is 4-0 all-time versus TCU. The series dates to 1952 when the Jayhawks defeated the Frogs 68-64 on March 21 in the NCAA Midwest Regional at Municipal Auditorium in Kansas City, Mo. KU defeated TCU, 94-78, on Dec. 20, 1997, at Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Mo. KU swept a home-and-home series with TCU in 2003 and 2004 with an 85-66 win in Fort Worth on Dec. 1, 2003, and a 93-74 victory on Dec. 9, 2004, in Allen Fieldhouse. ... KU coach Self is 8-3 all-time against TCU, including 2-0 while at KU. TCU coach Johnson is 1-0 against Kansas. In Self’s first season at Kansas, Johnson’s Stanford team defeated KU 64-58 on Dec. 6, 2003, in Anaheim, Calif., in the Wooden Classic.

Comments

bradynsdad 1 year, 6 months ago

Conner Francamp went off for 48 points last night. I promise you that he will challenge for playing time next year. That being said I hope we bounce back huge and Rio and AW3 get some minutes.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Would shock me. Don't think that he won't amount to anything, but I would expect FAR bigger things in '14/'15 than '13/'14.

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh yah, of course he will challenge for minutes. Biggest thing keeping him on the bench is his feather weight status. If Hudy can bulk him up over the summer. He could very well be a starter, considering our whole team next year will be freshmen and sophomores with the exception of Naa.

dw3c 1 year, 6 months ago

Dear Jayhawks -

Please crush TCU. I am getting tired of breaking tv remotes and phones during the games. Thanks

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

dw3c..a little hoint from one Hawk fan to another. Always have a small sofa pillow next to you. You can punch it, chew on it, curse into it and throw it at the TV without causing any physical damage and only doing minimal damage to your own self esteem!! :)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Good advice. I try to keep the remote on the opposite side of the room, just to resist any temptation to throw it or to turn the channel to " A Few Good Men ", which seems to be on EVERY SINGLE DAY for some reason.

For REALLY big games, I like to invite little old ladies from my church over to watch the game with us so that I don't scream and yell and curse like a crazed lunatic.

nostradavid 1 year, 6 months ago

Will Jeff get a chance to block shots tonight, or will the horny toads shoot from long range exclusively ? Tune in if you can. The state legislators should impose a limit on how many ESPN channels there can be. I'll have to go to a bar to catch this on ESPNU. Cable is such a racket.

It looks like Conner Frankamp has accelerated the scoring pace in order to break Perry's city league record, since he missed some time from his injury. We might get a shooting coach along with a scoring threat next year. The following comes from Joanna Chadwick at the Eagle:

"Frankamp hit 11 of 20 field goals, 5 of 12 three-pointers and 21 of 22 free throws. He scored all 10 of North’s first-quarter points and 19 of its 21 fourth-quarter points. East scored 11 in the final period.

He awed the fans with his five threes, most from deep beyond the three-point line. He used a cross-over move to drive inside for a basket.

But his free throws were near perfect. He made 12 straight in the fourth quarter.

“He gets it up on his fingertips,” Squires said. “He arches it. He has a soft touch, and the other thing, he’s so confident and he works at it, too.”

After every practice, Frankamp shoots to make 25 straight. If he misses, he starts over.

“I try to keep my technique and shoot with arch,” Frankamp said. “I feel that’s the most important thing with free throws…. I just try to keep my elbow under the ball and keep my feet squared to the goal.” "

Conner drives!

Conner drives! by nostradavid

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Jeff will break the blocks record.

Conner can ball.

Nostra can find worthy news on recruits.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Reminds me so much of that little Okla. St. PG from the past few years (was a Sr. last year).....for who knows what reason, I can't remember his name.

Chris1955 1 year, 6 months ago

Keiton Page is who you're thinking of. He's now on the OSU coaching staff.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Keiton Paige, the smurf on steroids.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"Some Other Legislation Proposed by a Republican State Senator from Wichita"

~Kansas State University will be forced to play Wichita State in football.

~KU will be forced to compete with Wichita State in a one-syllable word spelling bee.

~KU will be forced to recognize Wichita State undergraduate degrees as high school equivalence certificates.

~Boeing spin-off Spirit Aero Systems will be forced to hire Wichita State University graduates in Fine Arts to be fuselage and cockpit engineers.

~The US Army Command and General Staff College in Leavenworth will be forced to play Wichita State in an online game of R.U.S.E.

~KU will be forced to play Wichita State in any sport that might help Wichita State gain credibility.

~~State Senators from Wichita will be shamelessly allowed to use the great Wichita State basketball program to advance their political careers.

(Note 1: All fiction. No malice.)

(Note 2: This is an amiable slap at demagoguery, not the fine people of the great city of Wichita, who know full well that the great Wichita State basketball program needs no hand outs from KU to be stellar.)

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, mostly fiction anyways...

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"On Conner"

High scoring alone doesn't mean much in high school. When a HS coach gives a player 22 FGAs a kid is gonna score HIGH.

But two things leap out at me about Conner's 48 point performance.

First, he has bounced back from a concussion quickly.

Second, he managed to shoot over 50% from the field, while taking 12 treys and being fouled at least ten or so times; that is AMAZING.

They are hacking him to pieces and he is STILL throwing it in the hole.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Conner has led the Under 17 USA team in scoring in international competition. Scoring at that level does mean something. I see similarities with Rotnei Clarke.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I have to be honest - I don't REALLY give a hoot if Withey ever gets another block. What I really want is for us to come out and be the Kansas team that plays with confidence, plays smart and steam-rolls the opponents. Let's win this one by about 20+ and get our heads on straight for the rest of the season.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Aw c'mon nuleafjhawk...maybe give just a little hoot about the blocks?? HHMMM...be honest. :)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Sheeeeeeesh..................ok - a tiny little hoot. lol

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Crap - now even I don't know what I want any more!

But you're right.

BLOCK, Withey, BLOCK.

Block every darn shot thrown up tonight. Block the jump ball at the beginning of the game. Block passes, block free throws. Swat the gatorade cup away when they try to hand it to you.

If something gets where you can smack it - Just do it.

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

I would like to see a solid KU performance tonight. I think that Coach Self should play Perry Ellis and Tharpe a lot (they need PT and experience) and not worry about a 30 point win.

David Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

"But the biggest thing is that he’s fallen in love with basketball. When you’re not in love with it and you play because you’re tall or whatever, then you go through it and start seeing some success. He’s fallen in love with that."
To me, that quote from HCBS, is huge. Physical talents alone do not make a player rise to the top. There has to be something from the heart, from the will, that elevates a player. Fantastic for Jeff, and KU, that this has grown within him over time. It may make him a wealthy man in future years playing in the NBA. Another story of a player who goes into Self's KU system at one level, and comes out at a better/higher level.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Interesting schedule after tonights victory. KU 8-1 in first half of the season. We have five home games left against the four worst schools in the conference [Texas, TCU, Texas Tech and West Virginia] plus K-State who we always beat.

HOWEVER, on the road we have four games left against Oklahoma State [who beat us], Iowa State [who almost beat us], Oklahoma [who has the talent to beat us] and Baylor [who could beat us if their coach calls in sick].

My guess is we do not lose anymore at home and lose two of the four on the road...finish 15-3 but keep the Big 12 Conference Crown streak alive.

CAN I GET AN AMEN ON THAT??

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a feeling they actually win in Stillwater....they'll be motivated to win that game like no other game left on the schedule.

I DO think they'll lose at Ames.....and the one in Waco makes me nervous.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

AMEN Brother Oakville !

I love the Baylor coach calling in sick comment - even more because it's true.

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but the K-State game has me a little nervous. ( I totally "poo-pooed" K-State last time) Their point guard is pretty dang impressive - lightning quick, is making good decisions NOW and has not been turning it over lately.

mejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Hate to be a grammar nazi, but Poo-pooed should never have quotation marks when followed by K-State.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Iowa State in Ames will be a tall order. If we play them on the back end of a Saturday-Monday game we lose.

Oklahoma, we beat.

Baylor we beat.

And Self and his marauding Jayhawks are going to take Stillwater like Grant took Richmond.

They will go through OSU, like crap through a goose.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

Something tells me that we'll roll out to an early 22-9 lead....have it come back to something like 26-22, but stretch it to 31-23 by the half......Come out on fire for the 2nd half and be up 44-26....then TCU rallies and gets back to within 9 - 50-41. But we close good and end up winning something like 69-47.

I think I'd be VERY disappointed if we don't win by 15 or more.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

WOW..only 69 points against TCU???? We are definitely offensively challenged if that happens.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree, but Jesse Newell just predicted the same number for KU. Even with the slow it down pace of TCU, that has me a little worried.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

I have two distinct feelings about tonight's game, but one clearly overrides the second.

First, and definitely foremost, I want to see KU come out and just lay the biggest can of whoop #ss on TCU that they can. I want efficient offensive sets and lock-down, smothering defense. Like the old saying goes, "by the end of the game I want you to know what kind of gum he was chewing." Exorcise the demons! Put these guys down early and just stomp on them. That's what I want to see.

Second, and to a much lesser extent, I want to see TCU become competitive in the Big 12. For them to be this bad doesn't do anything good for the Big 12 or even KU. So, best of luck to Coach Johnson in the future. Please build a competitive team that belongs in the Big 12.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, I prefer to forget the last three years of KU football. Seeing it once in person was enough. I think we will be much improved next year. Of course I'm always an optimist.

I have to admit I haven't watched hardly any of TCU basketball this year, but from everything I have heard they are absolutely horrible. TCU was added to the Big 12 for two reasons only, and one isn't really relevant any more: Football and survival (at the time) of the conference. Their football is still strong and the conference is now on solid footing. So, they need to bring the rest of their facilities and sports up to par.

Yes, I know that KU's other sports programs have been bad at times in the past, but I think we would agree that they are usually competitive in the Big 12. TCU has been a one trick pony that needs to develop across the board.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

“I told them going into this year we are not individually talented enough or good enough for guys to look for their own shots. We’ve got to stay with the system and try to fight.” --TCU Coach Trent Johnson

That wouldn't inspire me to play hard for a coach.

It would inspire me to hope he took another job.

kennethst 1 year, 6 months ago

Good old Jaybate! What is your prediction for tonight's game?

Justin Carlson 1 year, 6 months ago

Looking ahead! A lot of the "Experts" are saying that the game @ TCU will not be a good guage to see if we are back on the right track. I dont agree TCU is bad but a 0 win team at home needing something positive vs. a limping "diaper filled baby team" who knows we might be prime to give TCU their first win of the the Big 12 season! If that does happen my teenager daughter and I will be kicked out of the house and be moving into my office! So as I look ahead after about the midpoint of the conference season lets look ahead at the remaining schedule and our record going on the the B12 tourney. @ TCU Win 20 - 2 8 - 1 (12 point win with a little roster shuffling and more mins from Rio/White III still sloppy guard play nothing fixed) @ OU loss 20 - 3 8 - 2 (4 point loss Kusports boards go crazy calling for EJ and Self to leave town) KSU WIN 21 - 3 9 - 2 (The game that changed the season! Seniors and Self right the ship our offensive flow and defense mirror the Dec 8 CU game put up 82 points in a 20+ rout of the kitties!) Texas WIN 22 - 3 10 - 2 (Mario's jersey up in the rafters and gameday nothing else needs to motivate a team! BIG WIN 20+) @ OSU Win 23 - 3 11 - 2 (Self will not lose to any team twice in the same season not going to happen esp. to the pokes 2 point game BMAC wins game at the line!) TCU Win 24 - 3 12 - 2 (Labored ugly 15+ win setting up a look ahead to the clones) @ Iowa ST Loss 24 - 4 12 - 3 (ISU goes nuts makes 14 3's and we struggle again to get to shooters and PG play exposed again mirror game of the first meeting except we are not and home and lose late by 3! WVU Win 25 - 4 13 - 3 (Muscle game ugly foul fest at least 2 "T's" from WVU and pull out a 8 point win!) Texas Tech Win 26 - 4 14 - 3 (Senior night!! Nothing else needs to be said! Self and Manning get 5+ minutes 25+ win) @Baylor Win 27 - 4 15 - 3 (We own Waco and Withey has another monster game! We win by 10+) 27 - 4 15 - 3 another Big 12 regular season championship 1 seed in B12 tourney! LATER JC

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

Gary/LJW,

Yes, KU lost to Stanford in Self's 1st year at KU in the Wooden Classic, but Mike Montgomery was still the coach of Stanford that season. Self and KU lost that same season to Trent Johnson's Nevada team 2 weeks later 75-61 at a tournament in Reno. I was there...so I remember it well, but you can also look in the archives and see this information. Hope this helps.

jayhawkinnc 1 year, 6 months ago

as a follow up to my previous post......Trent Johnson took over for Mike Montgomery at Stanford at the conclusion of the season after Montgomery left for the Golden State Warriors.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, if you listened to Duke Vitale and his broadcast partner cover the Michigan/Ohio State game last night, Jeff needs to put up a big-time defensive performance in a nationally-televised game.

Because not only were they banging the drum for how amazing Aaron Craft is and why he should be a serious candidate for DPOY, but they also delved into how DPOY shouldn't just go to the guys getting the flashy blocks. At that point, I expected Withey's name to come up...

...but to my chagrin, they went on and on, rambling about how Craft should get some consideration along with Nerlens Noel!?!??!?! Withey's name didn't even come up a single time.

[BLACKS OUT FROM RAGE]

Whoa... where am I? Oh, right. BSPN's clown car of college basketball analysts who seem to be allergic to giving KU players proper recognition, all because they didn't come out of high school as a highly-touted prospect. Nerlens Noel may be leading the nation (barely) in blocks per game, but 1) part of that is because of the officials refusal to call one of 2-3 fouls he committed in his "12 block" game (in which 6 of those blocks came when he had 4 fouls), and 2) no one comes close to Withey on a statistic that (I think) measures defensive post ability better than any other metric--the blocks per fouls stat.

Withey gets a staggering 2.7 blocks per personal foul. The next closest player who is in the top 40 of blocks per game is averaging 2.02 blocks per personal foul. Every other player is sub-2.0, including Nerlens Noel's 1.79 blocks per personal foul.

But I suppose I should be preparing myself now, the same way we all knew to prepare ourselves to watch Thomas get snubbed for POY last year, after ESPN got a mind to promote the crap out of Anthony Davis and how amazing he is. Looks like the same thing is going to happen this year, only on a smaller scale (DPOY instead of POY).

ParisHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Jay Bilas just tweeted his short list for DPOY. Craft came first, Withey second. Bilas says it's a tough call.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

Bilas is actually one of the more reasonable basketball guys. I think he puts most of the crap aside and tells it like he sees it.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree with you. Just about every KU game I watch I come up believing that Jeff had a couple more blocks than the box score indicates.

Noel on the other hand, gets credited with blocks for shot he merely altered and not necessarily blocked.Jeff not only blocks and alters shots, he changes the entire offense of the other team. ESPN keeps talking about the12 block game he had and little is made of the triple double Jeff had that is easily more impressive and complete game.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

Regarding this game against TCU, anything less than a curb-stomping will be a complete letdown.

In looking at Pomeroy's ratings, TCU (#278) will be the worst team we have played all season except for Chattanooga (#304). They are much better defensively, with a defensive efficiency rating of 137th compared to Chattanooga's 293rd, but they are also considerably worse offensively, with a rating of 330th compared to Chattanooga's rating of 277th.

What I would like to see is an early 15-20 point lead. Hold that lead for a little bit before putting in the lesser-used guys to get some playing time, and then keep continue to slowly build on that lead, making for a 20-point deficit most of the second half.

I'd also like to see us keep them under 20 points for the first half and for our offense to run more smoothly than it has in recent games.

KansasComet 1 year, 6 months ago

Aaron Craft got destroyed mulitiple times by Trey Burke last night. Dickie V was also making a case for Craft to get drafted. I am not saying he can't play. He is decent, but definitely not the Defensive Player of the Year.

mejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Imagine if Craft had decided to attend Duke? Dickie V would be so excited, he'd be babbling incoherently. Wait, that's what he does already. Nevermind.

CHEEZIT 1 year, 6 months ago

He also turned the ball over at the end regulation and got blocked on the last shot in OT. Wonder if OSU fans are calling for him to be benched???

kennethst 1 year, 6 months ago

Well.......I think the question we are asking is this: Where did that team that pounded Ohio State go????

I still think KU is good.......but I really lowered my expectations after that Oklahoma State game.

I wonder if that is why so many of us were upset. Not the loss......but just the realization that this may not be the team we thought it was. But who knows......maybe they will get it fixed. I hope so. I am not giving up.....just quite a bit more doubt.

Colby Hebert 1 year, 6 months ago

I would like to see Travis and Ben take more shots. Travis' field goal percentage is .610. He is a guard, he needs to shoot that down to about 45%! 10 shots a game minimum for Travis!

Ben shoots 50%+ from the field. 87% from the FT line, anytime this guy has any type of shot, heave it up.

Thanks!

kennethst 1 year, 6 months ago

Yes! Ben Mc,Travis,Tharpe,White.....let them shoot. Not EJ, though. He's way off. It's a shame too. Such great form on his shot.....but he can't hit them.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm interested in how EJ will play tonight, he needs a good game to get his and all of our confidence back. I feel bad for him, he's a great kid.

chriz 1 year, 6 months ago

Think Trent Johnson would be willing to wear #15 for us tonight? His last name IS Johnson...should be legal, right?

But seriously, I hope Elijah comes out on fire with his head squarely secured on his shoulders. I'm rooting for the kid. I hope he breaks out similar to what he did last year. The kid can ball. His mind is just scrambled now.

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

After the Texas game, no KU player should be allowed to wear the #15. That means stat jersey changes. Yep, thats right, I said it. Im also gonna say that if Mario were on this team, we'd be unstoppable. All fictitiously tongue n cheek.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 6 months ago

Just want to bitch one more time about all the games this year broadcast on ESPNUnseeable. Hope the radio announcers have a good night!.

Steve Kubler 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, if I could get dish here I'd be tickled but would require cutting to many trees. My cable offers espn espn2 and espn classic so I am out of luck. Down side of living in a small community I guess.

Silentbob2 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm still confused on why Rio Adams is not getting more playing time. I read something were it says Rio averages a 1 turnover every 10 minutes. Well, being that he only plays an average of 3 1/2 minutes when he does play and there has been plenty of games were he hasn't, I don't think him turning the ball over is the problem with this kid. Everytime I read something it refers to Rio as elite or gifted prospect. Well maybe Self should break the KU tradition and let this kid play. KU guards (Tharpe & Johnson) are not good defenders beside Trav when he wants to be a stopper. Tharpe and Johnson provides no pressure on any guard that KU has played thus far. Rio will go out there and play defense. Not only will he play defense, but the kid can score. I rooting for Rio to transfer to another school possibly in the Big 12 so he can play against Kansas. I think Self is shooting himself in the foot by not playing this kid. AWIII is just a shooter. He cannot dribble at all. Ben is a freak athelete and I love watching him play but he can't dribble either. Alot of his points come from jumpshots or running the floor. When was the last time we seen someone beat there man off the dribble and dunk on someone? Don't worry i'll wait! Rio was the last time and he topped it off with a dunk on 2 people. If you are as bored as I am watching KU play, then vote Rio Adams for more than 4 minutes of playing time. EJ is stinking up the court and Tharpe is not good at all. Anyone can pass the ball to the open man but what else does he do that 20 minutes worthy? Dont worry i'll wait. NOTHING at all. Self is a great coach because he won 1 national championship and 8 or 9 Big 12 titles. But he will always be 3 or 4th best coach in the country because he is too stuck in his ways to take a chance with an ELITE or GIFTED prospect like Rio. Just let him play. He's showed maturity or he's become a very good team and bench player. What else does he have to do. Is Self waiting for someone to get hurt? Games are going to be more physical and now that KU got there butts handed to them at home (which I loved) everyone they play will feel that they can beat them. KU can win it all but something has got to change. Rock Chalk Jayhawks

mizzoufoo 1 year, 6 months ago

Shoot...why not? Cuz what they got goin' with their guards right now, AIN'T working. I've seen some of the footage on this Adams kid, and his ball control is something the Hawks are missing out on big time. Why not use such a promising weapon, especially when the others are jammed? I would have been real happy if he had landed just a few miles further east.

mizzoufoo 1 year, 6 months ago

not mad at them AT ALL this year, tho the florida blowout was a bit embarassing.

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 6 months ago

Have you consider calling Sheahon Zenger and asking him to fire HC Self and appoint you HC instead? You obviously seem to think you know more than he does. I could refute every one of your points, but why? you would not get it anyway.

"I rooting for Rio to transfer to another school possibly in the Big 12 so he can play against Kansas. I think Self is shooting himself in the foot by not playing this kid."

"I rooting" for you to transfer to another sports board and continue making a fool of yourself elsewhere. One of the MU boards would be a good fit for you; they are at about your BBall knowledge level.

Silentbob2 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey JayHawkFan Too, I'm a KU fan by default. No love for Mizzou over here. And why would me voicing my opinion get you so upset? If I got under your skin I apologize. Didn't mean to hurt your little feelings. Go Mizzou!! oops I meant KU sorry JHF2.

STLHawkRCJH 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice of you to stop by these boards Mrs Adams! ;)

J/K. In all seriousness, I'd love to see both White III and Adams get some more playing time. However, the claims made above appear to have been made without watching many games. I think Rio will be good next year and I'm very excited by his potential on the defensive end. However, he is neither the ball-handler nor the defensive juggernaut (yet) bob has made him out to be.

Rio's turnovers are low because he generally doesn't try to do too much when he is in the game. ie he doesn't create for others as evidenced by his total of 6 assists on the season and he doesn't score as evidenced by his 12 pts on the season. The dunk bob references (while VERY impressive) happened against mediocre competition in garbage time. I also mentioned Rio's defensive abilities as being a bit overrated. I think Rio will be a lockdown defender in time (maybe even next year), but he is not there yet. He has a tendency to get lost off the ball and though he is aggressive defensively on the ball, with more minutes he will get called for a lot of fouls because he uses his hands on the defender way too much. I could live with that if he were at least getting a bunch of steals, but he only has 3 on the season vs 8 fouls and I don't recall him generating a lot of steals for others with his pressure.

Again, I'd like to see Rio get more court time too, but to suggest that he is the answer over EJ, Naa and Ben (of all ppl) is over the top. Ultimately, what this team needs more than anything else is for the ball to move better (and EJ shooting better wouldn't hurt). Right now, the ball sticks too much in several players hands. If this team gets back to reversing the floor, they will look better on both sides of the ball because the other would be going against a set defense.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

Better than Doyle's brother ....

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

My guess?

His defense. He certainly has the will to play good defense, but his technique is sorely lacking.

Next time he plays any extended minutes, watch his hands. He can't go a second without putting one or both hands on the man he's guarding. Aside from it being a good way to get called for chippy fouls away from the basket when the opponent has no imminent threat of scoring, it's fundamentally unsound.

It means he's trying to maintain a connection to his man by touching him, rather than by anticipating and moving his feet to get to the spot his man wants to get to. It's the difference between anticipating and simply reacting. Plus, when you're playing defense on your man with your hands, it means your hands aren't available to stick in passing lanes on the chance you'll get a deflection.

He just needs more practice and will likely be an outstanding defender. But right now, he's just not doing it right.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 6 months ago

mizzoufoo 1 year, 6 months ago

mizzoufoo 1 year, 6 months ago

thanks site staff...no bias here i see

Silentbob2 1 year, 6 months ago

Timothy Rake 1 year, 6 months ago

Final word - KU bounced at TCU

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

SMH, I didnt watch the game. I recorded it. Glad I didnt see it. Its time for Self to push the panic button. Get EJ the eff out of the starting line up.

texasdochawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I feel sorry for these kids right now. They have an overbearing coach that expects too much, makes them think too much instead of playing instinctively, and causes them to fear losing instead of playing to win. The only guy that I saw playing to win was Naadir. Everyone else was playing afraid and tight. We've all seen this before with early exits in the tournament against the like of VCU and Other mid majors.. Never to this extent however. It's too bad

naturalist 1 year, 6 months ago

a coach accepts some responsibility on what team you have. of it doesn't work, maybe recruiting didn't, either. you work with what you have, but don't blame everything on the players. not fair to try to make PGs of the good players who aren't PGs and then blame them.